Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction?

Posted By: Mountain Man

Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 12/01/01 06:47 PM

Asteroids and Revelation 8 - Fact or Fiction?

Shooting stars, passing comets, craters and meteor stones are cosmic omens that suggest a catastrophic impact is inevitable and impending. So far, geologists have discovered over one hundred impact craters around the world ranging in size from 3 feet to over 100 miles in diameter. There are many impact craters whose size indicates each stone was large enough to cause, all by itself, global mass extinction. The only time this could have happened, at least according to the biblical record, was during the Great Deluge.

Some Christian scientists believe that a planet once located between Mars and Jupiter exploded about 4500 years ago and may have triggered or contributed to the devastation caused by Noah’s Flood. Such an explosion would also explain the existence of the Asteroid Belt, all the maverick meteors, comets and asteroids crisscrossing our galaxy, and also the millions of impact craters found throughout the galaxy, including those discovered on planet Earth. Even secular scientists believe a “massive asteroid caused the extinction of dinosaurs 65 million years ago.”

Most of the meteors, comets and asteroids, which more than likely occurred at the time of the Flood, are in fixed orbits that pose no threat to our planet. However, there are thousands of known and unknown meteors, comets and asteroids whose orbits do intersect our planetary orbit. Most of these earth-crossing objects are as harmless as shooting stars (small fragments of stone that burn up entering our heavy atmosphere). But there are millions that are capable of causing major damage, and thousands that are large enough to cause mass extinction.

Almost every year scientists discover new earth-crossing objects that are big enough to cause serious global damage. Nearly every year there are “near misses” that are discovered only after the fact. Objects that are large enough to cause widespread devastation are often too small for existing equipment to detect before it’s too late. And even if they were detected early enough, we presently lack the ability to prevent a catastrophic impact. Scientists generally agree that it’s not a matter of if, but a matter of when a meteor, asteroid or comet will impact the earth and cause either terrible damage or mass extinction. Even Hollywood and other filmmakers have wasted no time making movies and documentaries graphically depicting what scientists believe is an impending reality.

Oceanic Asteroid Impact Hypothesis

What would happen if a large asteroid were to impact the Pacific Ocean? Depending on its size, shape, constitution and velocity an asteroid about a half-mile in diameter would create a sonic boom loud enough to be heard half way around the world. If it passed through the Jet Stream (wind currents in excess of 200 hundred mph) it’s possible this high-speed wind current would enfold itself (as a scroll when it is rolled together) and spawn gale force gusts, tornadoes and hurricanes. Intense heat would precede the asteroid causing field and forest fires.

Upon impact trillions of tons of vaporized bedrock and water would be thrust into the atmosphere partially obscuring sun, moon and star light causing global cooling, massive hailstones and acid rain (which would contaminate the fresh water supplies). Rings of towering tidal waves (up to 3,000 foot tall) would destroy coastal regions, islands, sea life and ships. Shock waves would trigger oceanic and continental earthquakes. And volcanic eruptions, ash and lava would add to the polluted atmosphere and the devastating field and forest fires.

The shifting, heaving land masses would also cause extensive structural damage to the many thermonuclear reactors causing melt down and lethal radioactive fallout, thus adding to the already contaminated drinking water and other far flung disasters effecting air, land and sea. Humans and animals would experience severe suffering from radiation burns and sickness.

Society would also be drastically effected. Electricity, water, sewer and communications would be seriously disrupted. Shortages of food, water, heat, medical care and sanitation would breed bad health. Disease and pestilence would surpass plague proportions. Looting, rape and murder would replace law and order. Losses would be calculated in the trillions causing national and international economic chaos. The death toll by land and sea would be measured in the millions.

Biblical Description of an Oceanic Asteroid Impact

When Michael the archangel stands up and declares, It is done, the four angels will let blow the four winds of disaster and there shall be a time of trouble unlike anything this old world has ever seen (including Noah’s Flood). Please read Daniel 12:1 and Revelation 7:1. Only those who make Jesus their very best Friend and Saviour will come “out of great tribulation” (Revelation 7:14) alive. “A thousand shall fall at thy side and ten thousand at thy right band; but it shall not come nigh thee” Psalm 91:7.

When our heavenly High Priest completes the investigative judgment and casts down the “golden censer” (Revelation 8:2-5) human probation will close. And then the seven trumpets and plagues will be poured out, not upon the earth only, but also upon all those who reject the seal of the living God. These plagues will cause global chaos hitherto unknown. The biblical description of these catastrophic disasters is very similar to those calamities scientists are predicting would occur during a large oceanic asteroid impact. This coincidence is either accidental or no coincidence at all.

“The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth. And the third part of trees were burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up” Revelation 8:7. Field and forest fires and hail are all ingredients of an asteroid impact.

“And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood; and the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed” Revelation 8:8,9. Asteroids become huge fireballs on entering our atmosphere, and would indeed resemble a great burning mountain. Certainly many creatures and ships would be destroyed if an asteroid impacted the ocean.

“And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the river’s, and upon the fountain of waters; and the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter” Revelation 8:10,11. Asteroids interact with atmospheric elements creating acid rain, which would contaminate drinking water.

“And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise" Revelation 8:12. Tons of debris would be carried around the world, which would partially obscure sun, moon and star light.

“And I beheld when He had opened the sixth seal, and, Lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; and the stars of heaven fell unto the earth even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places” Revelation 6:12-14. Asteroid fragments would fall to earth like thousands of shooting stars. A large asteroid passing through the Jet Stream could cause it to enfold upon itself like a scroll when it is rolled together, which would also cause mighty winds. Tidal waves would move islands, which are the tops of mountains, out of their places and trigger huge oceanic and continental earthquakes.

“And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences, and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven. And there shall be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; and the sea and the waves roaring; men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are corning on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken” Luke 21:11,25,26. All these disasters would be associated with an oceanic asteroid impact.

“And there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast” Revelation 16:2. Acid rain and fallout from nuclear reactors damaged by an asteroid impact would cause terrible sores and sickness.

“But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works therein shall be burned up” 2 Peter 3:10. Traveling thousands of miles per hour, asteroids make a supersonic boom or a great noise. An asteroid impact would trigger volcanic eruptions and lava flows, which melt with fervent heat as they burn up everything in their way.

“And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found, and there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent [60 pounds]” Revelation 16:20,21. It would require Jet Stream force winds to generate 60 pound hailstones, which would be possible during a crisis associated with an asteroid impact. (Note: this "great hail" may also be the frozen fragments of a comet).

Conclusion

Miraculous protection is the only way to survive an oceanic asteroid impact like the one described in this study. However, only those who have the seal of God will be miraculously protected during the Great Time of Trouble. And the only way to have the seal of God is to allow the Holy Spirit to empower us to imitate the example of Jesus Christ. By beholding Christ, we become Christlike. See 2 Corinthians 3:18. Therefore, it behooves us to - “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.”

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: Mike Lowe ]

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 12/01/01 06:51 PM

So, what do the rest of you think? Please feel free to share your questions, concerns and comets (sp?).
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 12/02/01 06:03 AM

Is this a science class, or are we studying the Bible?

I think, at best, the stuf about asteroids is not reliable information, at this point in time. It seems heavily dependent upon what if's, and theories that cannot be definitively proven.

It is interesting though to contemplate what the seven trumpets of Rev.8-11 mean for our future...but I think that God, in His mercy shield us from figuring this out too far in advance. He always tells us when we need to know something.

My question is; How will God tel us?

Mike, are you putting Rev.8, into the same time frame as the seven last plagues?

It seems so from your post.

------------------
"...you should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." Jude 3

DavidTBattler

Posted By: Daryl

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 12/03/01 05:37 AM

David asked:

quote:

Mike, are you putting Rev.8, into the same time frame as the seven last plagues?

A very good question.

Now to see what the very good answer is.

Daryl

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 12/03/01 05:50 AM

Yes, I am. But remember, this is from a future point of view, which does not take away from the historical. The two views are independment - separate yet similiar.
Posted By: Greg Goodchild

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 12/12/01 08:44 AM

I think if God wants to use a meteor shower to accomplish His purposes then amen. I think the primary concepts in the trumpets and the plagues are not so much the disaster but the spiritual implications that lead to the disaster. Our job is to continue to study so that we can enter into the mind of God (Philippians 2:5)and see things the way He has intended for us to see them. As we experience God in this manner He will reveal His intents and His concepts and we will enter into the experience of standing upon the sea of glass in total faith to Him.

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 12/12/01 06:08 PM

Greg, thank you for reminding us that the spiritual implications are just as, if not more, important than understanding the physical elements of the trumpets and plagues.

When probation closes and Jesus lets loose the elements of disaster, if we're not right with Him our situation will go from dire to desperate. I don't want to do anything between now and then that will cause me to forfeit the seal of God, because I don't want to cause Jesus sadness or sorrow. Instead, I want to respond to His loving ministrations in a way that I will be among the travail of His soul and a source of happiness for Him and all of heaven. And ultimately vindicate the law, love, government and character of God.

Posted By: Bob Pickle

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 12/15/01 05:25 PM

Mike,

When would the asteroid hit? During the 2nd or 3rd trumpet? Then what causes the problems of the 1st trumpet? Or are we talking about multiple asteroid hits?

Some of this stuff about impact craters is tainted by evolutionary hog wash. Ellen White speaks about boulders being shot up hundreds of feet into the air during the flood, and upon hitting the ground sinking deep into it (PP 99).

It would be interesting to see if any scientist can substantiate the impact of any asteroid during the 6000 years that the world has been in existence.

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 12/16/01 07:09 AM

Pickle, I got most of the facts I shared in the asteroid study above from the NASA website. They are able to verify their findings regarding the various impact sites around the world due to the heavey presence of asteroid fragments at each location. Where I live here in Flagstaff Arizona there's a world famous tourist site called Meteor Crater. There is no douobt that the crater was formed by an asteroid impact.

The one thing that scientists get confused about when they interpret all these huge crater sites around the world is when they happened. That it did happen is not the problem, just when they believe it happened. All of those mass extinction events had to happen at the time of the flood, since that's the only time in earth's history when mass extinction occurred.

When will the asteroid in Rev 8 impact earth? As the above mentioned study suggests heat preceding the asteroid would generate field and forest fires before impact. The main asteroid would impact the ocean floor during the second trumpet. For the third trumpet, either a fragment from the main asteroid or a second asteroid would interact with the atmosphere in such a way that fresh water would be contaminated.

At any rate, it all makes perfect sense to me. Whether or not it will all play out like suggested in this study is yet to be seen. In the meantime, the most important thing to remember is to stay connected to Christ.

[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: Mike Lowe ]

Posted By: Jayme

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/01/04 08:06 AM

Going back into pages 3 and 4 of this sub-forum has been so very interesting and inspiring. I found some SOP quotes so comforting.

Now, about this thread.

Marvin Moore of the Pacific Press has written a book called "The Coming Great Calamity".

EGW had two visions of large objects hitting this planet, and this book is Marvin's take on those visions.

Very interesting, to say the least.

One of the visions EGW had on this seems to have been a long vision, since she wrote that she didn't feel comfortable in revealing much of it but she would reveal "just a little".

Has anyone here read this book by Mr. Moore?

What do you think of it?
Posted By: debbie

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/01/04 05:15 PM

Jayme, where are the visions published that Sister White had? I would be interested in reading them. Could you name the book and page numbers please?
Posted By: Ikan

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/01/04 05:23 PM

Perhaps this is one?:

"Last Friday morning, just before I awoke, a very impressive scene was presented before me. I seemed to awake from sleep but was not in my home. From the windows I could behold a terrible conflagration. Great balls of fire were falling upon houses, and from these balls fiery arrows were flying in every direction. It was impossible to check the fires that were kindled, and many places were being destroyed. The terror of the people was indescribable. After a time I awoke and found myself at home."
--Letter 278, 1906. {Ev 29.1}

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/02/04 06:08 AM

When I first read Sister White's visions about great and immense balls of fire, I thought they might be bombs and rockets fired during the time the 10 horns turn on the leaders of the beast and the whore. See Rev 17:12-17. But then I made the asteroid connection to the trumpets and plagues and now that makes more sense to me.

Later on Marvin Moore wrote his book about it. I was thrilled. On day we got together and compared notes, and even though we disagree on the timing of the asteroid impact (he feels it will happen before probation closes) we both believe this interpretation, as a future fulfillment of the trumpets, is very possible.

Last Day Events, pages 24 and 25
Last Friday morning, just before I awoke, a very impressive scene was presented before me. I seemed to awake from sleep but was not in my home. From the windows I could behold a terrible conflagration. Great balls of fire were falling upon houses, and from these balls fiery arrows were flying in every direction. It was impossible to check the fires that were kindled, and many places were being destroyed. The terror of the people was indescribable. After a time I awoke and found myself at home.--Ev 29 (1906). {LDE 24.3}

I saw an immense ball of fire fall among some beautiful mansions, causing their instant destruction. I heard someone say: "We knew that the judgments of God were coming upon the earth, but we did not know that they would come so soon." Others, with agonized voices, said: "You knew! Why then did you not tell us? We did not know."--9T 28 (1909). {LDE 25.1}

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/02/04 06:54 AM

Debbie,

Here are all the quotes I've found in the SOP on this topic. Most are about "balls" of fire; but there is one that mentions a "great ball of fire coming down on the world".

quote:
In the visions of the night a very impressive scene passed before me. I saw an immense ball of fire fall among some beautiful mansions, causing their instant destruction. I heard some one say, "We knew that the judgments of God were coming upon the earth, but we did not know that they would come so soon." Others, with agonized voices, said, "You knew! Why then did you not tell us? We did not know!" On every side I heard similar words of reproach spoken. {ChS 111.3}

In the visions of the night a very impressive scene passed before me. I saw an immense ball of fire fall among some beautiful mansions, causing their instant destruction. I heard someone say, "We knew that the judgments of God were coming upon the earth, but we did not know that they would come so soon." Others, with agonized voices, said, "You knew!" Why then did you not tell us? We did not know." On every side I heard similar words of reproach spoken. {Ev 43.1}
In great distress I awoke.

Last Friday morning, just before I awoke, a very impressive scene was presented before me. I seemed to awake from sleep but was not in my home. From the windows I could behold a terrible conflagration. Great balls of fire were falling upon houses, and from these balls fiery arrows were flying in every direction. It was impossible to check the fires that were kindled, and many places were being destroyed. The terror of the people was indescribable. After a time I awoke and found myself at home.--Ev 29 (1906). {LDE 24.3}
I saw an immense ball of fire fall among some beautiful mansions, causing their instant destruction. I heard someone say: "We knew that the judgments of God were coming upon the earth, but we did not know that they would come so soon." Others, with agonized voices, said: "You knew! Why then did you not tell us? We did not know."--9T 28 (1909). {LDE 25.1}

Not long ago a very impressive scene passed before me. I saw an immense ball of fire falling among some beautiful mansions, causing their instant destruction. I heard someone say, "We knew that the judgments of God were coming upon the earth, but we did not know that they would come so soon." Others said, "You knew? Why then did you not tell us? We did not know." On every side I heard such words spoken. . . . {Mar 25.2}

In the visions of the night a very impressive scene passed before me. I saw an immense ball of fire fall among some beautiful mansions, causing their instant destruction. I heard someone say: "We knew that the judgments of God were coming upon the earth, but we did not know that they would come so soon." Others, with agonized voices, said: "You knew! Why then did you not tell us? We did not know." On every side I heard similar words of reproach spoken. {PM 283.4}

In the visions of the night a very impressive scene passed before me. I saw an immense ball of fire fall among some beautiful mansions, causing their instant destruction. I heard someone say: "We knew that the judgments of God were coming upon the earth, but we did not know that they would come so soon." Others, with agonized voices, said: "You knew! Why then did you not tell us? We did not know." On every side I heard similar words of reproach spoken. {9T 28.1}

Not long ago a very impressive scene passed before me. I saw an immense ball of fire falling among some beautiful mansions, causing their instant destruction. I heard someone say, "We knew that the judgments of God were coming upon the earth, but we did not know that they would come so soon." Others said, "You knew? Why then did you not tell us? We did not know." On every side I heard such words spoken. . . . {WM 136.3}

Not long ago a very impressive scene passed before me. I saw an immense ball of fire falling among some beautiful mansions, causing their instant destruction. I heard some one say, "We knew that the judgments of God were coming upon the earth, but we did not know that they would come so soon." Others said, "You knew? Why then did you not tell us. We did not know." On every side I heard such words spoken. {RH, November 24, 1904 par. 1}

Last night a scene was presented before me. I may never feel free to reveal all of it, but I will reveal a little. {RC 243.2}
It seemed that an immense ball of fire came down upon the world, and crushed large houses. From place to place rose the cry, "The Lord has come! The Lord has come!" Many were unprepared to meet Him, but a few were saying, "Praise the Lord!" {RC 243.3}
"Why are you praising the Lord?" inquired those upon whom was coming sudden destruction. {RC 243.4}
"Because we now see what we have been looking for." {RC 243.5}
"If you believed that these things were coming, why did you not tell us?" was the terrible response. "We did not know about these things. Why did you leave us in ignorance? Again and again you have seen us; why did you not become acquainted with us, and tell us of the judgment to come, and that we must serve God, lest we perish? Now we are lost!" {RC 243.6}

Last Friday morning, just before I awoke, a very impressive scene was presented before me. I seemed to awake from sleep, but was not in my home. From the windows I could behold a terrible conflagration. Great balls of fire were falling upon houses, and from these balls fiery arrows were flying in every direction. It was impossible to check the fires that were kindled, and many places were being destroyed. The terror of the people was indescribable. --Evangelism, p. 29. (1906) {CL 8.5}

Last Friday morning, just before I awoke, a very impressive scene was presented before me. I seemed to awake from sleep but was not in my home. From the windows I could behold a terrible conflagration. Great balls of fire were falling upon houses, and from these balls fiery arrows were flying in every direction. It was impossible to check the fires that were kindled, and many places were being destroyed. The terror of the people was indescribable. After a time I awoke and found myself at home.--Letter 278, 1906. {Ev 29.1}

Last Friday morning, just before I awoke, a very impressive scene was presented before me. I seemed to awake from sleep but was not in my home. From the windows I could behold a terrible conflagration. Great balls of fire were falling upon houses, and from these balls fiery arrows were flying in every direction. It was impossible to check the fires that were kindled, and many places were being destroyed. The terror of the people was indescribable. {Mar 25.5}
Strictly will the cities of the nations be dealt with, and yet they will not be visited in the extreme of God's indignation, because some souls will yet break away from the delusions of the enemy, and will repent and be converted, while the mass will be treasuring up wrath against the day of wrath. {Mar 25.6}

Last Friday morning [August 24, 1906], just before I awoke, a very impressive scene was presented before me. I seemed to awake from sleep but was not in my home. From the windows I could behold a terrible conflagration. Great balls of fire were falling upon houses, and from these balls fiery arrows were flying in every direction. It was impossible to check the fires that were kindled, and many places were being destroyed. The terror of the people was indescribable. {Mar 210.4}
Fearful sights of a supernatural character will soon be revealed in the heavens, in token of the power of miracle-working demons. The spirits of devils will go forth to the kings of the earth and to the whole world, to fasten them in deception, and urge them on to unite with Satan in his last struggle against the government of heaven. By these agencies, rulers and subjects will be alike deceived. Persons will arise pretending to be Christ Himself, and claiming the title and worship which belong to the world's Redeemer. They will perform wonderful miracles of healing and will profess to have revelations from heaven contradicting the testimony of the Scriptures. {Mar 210.5}

Last Friday morning, just before I awoke, a very impressive scene was presented before me. I seemed to awake from sleep but was not in my home. From the windows I could behold a terrible conflagration. Great balls of fire were falling upon houses, and from these balls fiery arrows were flying in every direction. It was impossible to check the fires that were kindled, and many places were being destroyed. The terror of the people was indescribable. After a time I awoke and found myself at home.-- Letter 278, 1906. {WM 136.6}

In the night I was, I thought, in a room but not in my own house. I was in a city, where I knew not, and I heard expression after expression. I rose up quickly in bed, and saw from my window large balls of fire. Jetting out were sparks, in the form of arrows, and buildings were being consumed, and in a very few minutes the entire block of buildings was falling and the screeching and mournful groans came distinctly to my ears. I cried out, in my raised position, to learn what was happening: Where am I? And where are our family circle? Then I awoke. But I could not tell where I was for I was in another place than home. I said, Oh Lord, where am I and what shall I do? It was a voice that spoke, "Be not afraid. Nothing shall harm you." {11MR 361.1}
I was instructed that destruction hath gone forth upon cities. The word of the Lord will be fulfilled. Isaiah 29:19-24 was repeated. I dared not move, not knowing where I was. I cried unto the Lord, What does it mean? These representations of destruction were repeated. Where am I? "In scenes I have represented that which will be; but warn My people to cease from putting their trust in men who are not obedient to my warnings and who despise My reproof, for the day of the Lord is right upon the world when evidence shall be made sure. Those who have followed the voices that would turn things upside down will themselves be turned where they cannot see, but will be as blind men. {11MR 361.2}
These words were given me from Isaiah 30: "Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever: That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the Lord: Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits." [Isaiah 30:8-15 quoted.] . . . . {11MR 362.1}
I was instructed that light had been given me and that I had written under special light the Lord had imparted.--Ms. 126, 1906. (Diary, August 23, 27, 1906.)

It is very interesting to me that according to the vision, the immense ball of fire falling on the world is something "we have been looking for."

I highly recommend Marvin Moore's book.
Posted By: debbie

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/02/04 03:35 AM

Thank you so much for all those quotes jayme. I find the information here about asteroids interesting and something to think about. However, Mike, I am concerned about putting in the future the fulfillment of the 7 trumpets. We are living between the sixth and seventh trumpet right now. These cannot be put into the future.

I believe Mrs. White makes it clear also. 2 SM 102 says:

"Some will take the truth applicable to their time, and place it in the future. Events in the train of prophecy that had their fulfillment away in the past are made future, and thus by these theories the faith of some is undermined."

There is a book called "Keppers of the Faith" by Colin and Russell Standish. In it is a chapter called "Futurism" in which they show where this comes from and where it leads us. Here is a quote by them:

"With the increasing interfacing with evangelicals and with the increase in Satanic deceptions at the end of time, it is to be expected that more and more futuristic interpretations will be presented. Not only have these come in relationship to Daniel 7,8, and 9, but also a strong emphasis on futurism has been picked up in the areas of the seven seals and the seven trumpets, and other areas of Revelation, including Revelation 13:5, where the voice of inspiration declares that the forty and two months referred to here specifically relates to the 1260 years of papal persecution ending in 1798. (See GC 54)."

Keepers of the Faith, copyright 1988 by Hartland Publications, Rapidan, VA

I have no doubt that asteroids may hit the earth and these things happen but not in relation to the 7 trumpets, rather in relation to Matt. 24.
Posted By: myarsman

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/02/04 06:02 AM

Mike,

I read your post on the affect of asteroids upon this earth...past and future. It certainly is a sobering thought to realize how destructive these natural missiles from outer space can be upon the earth.

I am comforted by the realization, though, that the Biblical prophetic events depicting the falling of asteroids upon the earth will be taking place "after" the Second Coming when all of the saints have been redeemed from this earth.

We have nothing to fear from these predicted catastrophes as long as we are ready to meet our Lord each and every moment of our lives.

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/02/04 08:11 AM

Debbie, I agree with you that if we are between the 6th and 7th seals, and if the 7th trumpet is still in the process of fulfilling, then a future application of the seals and trumpets is not possible. In response to this problem please read the study presented at the MSDAOL link below. In this study there is a quote by Sister White that clearly teaches the trumpets will be fulfilled in the future together with the plagues:

http://www.maritime-sda-online.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=82;t=000021

Bob, your pretrib ideas do not belong on this thread. Please post them for further study on the appropriate thread. They are worth studying there, and they will receive due attention. Thank you.

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/02/04 11:56 AM

MIke,

In your initial post you described how if an asteroid were to hit the Pacific Ocean that it would produce a wave several hundred feet in height. If that were to happen, then any island within this ocean or land mass along the Pacific Rim would experience untold devastation.

I currently live on one of the islands in the Pacific Ocean. If one of those tidal waves hit my island, I do not expect that any living being, righteous or wicked, would be able to survive its desolation.

Now we all agree that these natural disasters are all future, but you will be very hard-pressed to demonstrate from the Bible how God's saints will be present on this earth during the time of these disasters.

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/02/04 05:00 PM

Bob, in the same way God was able protect Noah and his family during the world wide flood, and in the same way He will protect the righteous during the forthcoming world wide conflagration - so too God will be able to protect the righteous islanders during a Tsunami caused by an asteroid impact.

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/02/04 07:21 PM

I too agree that God will protect "His People" from suffering the effects of these terrible devastating natural castastrophes......He will take them off of this earth before any of these events take place.

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/02/04 09:07 PM

Bob, not here. Let's discuss your pretrib ideas on the appropriate thread. Thank you.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/03/04 12:44 AM

Yes, Bob, you are trying in vain to take this off topic.

I am also [Caution] cautioning [Caution] you not to bring that aspect into this topic.

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/03/04 01:24 AM

Earlier on this thread, I posted
quote:
It is very interesting to me that according to the vision, the immense ball of fire falling on the world is something "we have been looking for."
Can any of you give me any scripture(s) that would support this statement?

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/03/04 01:34 AM

Reading again the EGW vision about the "immense ball of fire coming down upon the world and crushing large houses, it looks like what she saw didn't happen in the ocean but on land.

Also, in one of the visions, after telling about seeing balls of fire, she immediately states Strictly will the cities of the nations be dealt with.

In another place, she states that many cities will be destroyed.

This could happen by multiple asteroids, or even an all-out war using nuclear bombs. She does state that in the last moments of time, war will rage.

It could be that the only way we will know for sure what her two visions about balls of fire will be, is to determine to be among the 144,000 who will go thru to the 2nd coming of Jesus without seeing death.

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/03/04 03:28 AM

Here's another interesting quote to consider:

Mar 290
The people who have braved out their rebellion will fulfill the description given in Revelation 6:15-17. In these very caves and dens they find the very statement of truth in the letters and in the publications as witness against them. The shepherds who lead the sheep in false paths will hear the charge made against them, "It was you who made light of truth. It was you who told us that God's law was abrogated, that it was a yoke of bondage. It was you who voiced the false doctrines when I was convicted that these Seventh-day Adventists had the truth. The blood of our souls is upon your priestly garments. . . . Now will you pay the ransom for my soul? . . . What shall we do who listened to your garbling of the Scriptures and your turning into a lie the truth which if obeyed would have saved us?" {Mar 290.3}

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/03/04 05:41 AM

Mike,

The quotes I posted above have references to the wicked asking us why we didn't tell them that these balls of fire were coming upon the earth.

So, how do we give them a Bible study on that?

What texts do we use?

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 05/03/04 08:02 AM

Personally I believe we should use the texts cited in the study presented at the beginning of this thread. That's what makes sense to me. However, I have been teaching this theory for 10 years now and nearly everyone has taken a "wait and see" attitude about it. Does Sister White's prophecy indicate nobody will be teaching it at the end of time?
Posted By: Restin

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 07/03/04 08:58 PM

I've studied and thought a lot about this topic, and seems to me that the "calamities" E.G.White speaks of, whether natural or supernatural, will be interpreted as from God's displeasure, because the world will seek a religious solution. Apparently the majority will see it as supernatural and easily over-ride the scientists by giving the world over to the Pope. As long as scientists can convince people something is just a natural event, like the so-called El Nina effect, people won't be scared into seeking a religious solution. But we know they are going to do this for some reason. But what if asteroids only fell on the big cities,not just anywhere? That would be regarded as supernatural and the scientists couldn't come up with one of their fancy theories that they always seem to get away with. Or what if "fire & brimstone" rained down in such a way that had no natural explanation? Then people would be convinced it was warnings or punishments from God, or something God let Satan do, and they would turn to religious leaders to save the earth. So, I bring in human nature and mass psychology when I ponder on these things, and try to imagine how things could really happen.
Posted By: razorren

Re: Asteroids and Revelation 8 - fact or fiction? - 08/13/04 04:46 PM

Very interesting discussion.

Lets also keep in mind all the man made space junk that are still in orbit. Many of which would burn up in the athmosphere, but there are some pretty large objects like the international space station and other military equipment that will certainly make an impact.

What will happen...we can only wait for the Lord to reveal.

Rev 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

Rev 9:21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

[Reading]
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church