Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both?

Posted By: Daryl

Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 04/17/03 09:11 PM

What does the Bible mean by "hell"?

Is it a literal place that exists now, later, or both?

Let us dig out our Bibles and explore this question that Lobo asked in the Where Really Are The Dead topic.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 04/18/03 08:49 PM

Thanks Daryl, I appreciate you staring this post. Let me start off the discussion.

“For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast [them] down to hell [tartaroo], and delivered [them] into chains of darkness [zophos], to be reserved unto judgment;” 2 Pet 2:4

“And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness [zophos] unto the judgment of the great day.” Jude 1:6

“tartaroo” – “the name of the subterranean region, doleful and dark, regarded by the ancient Greeks as the abode of the wicked dead, where they suffer punishment for their evil deeds; it answers to Gehenna of the Jews” (Strongs)

“zophos” – “darkness, blackness, the darkness of the nether world” (Strongs)

So from these two texts we see that hell is a dark place that at least some demons (fallen angels) are held (chained) until the judgment.

Now according to Strongs this placed mentioned in these two texts above is literal and where demons and people (souls) are right now.

Now some may say that this place is not literal now. However, when we look at other scripture we will see that that idea just isn’t true.

“And they besought him that he would not command them to go out into the deep [abussos].” Luke 8:31

“abussos “ - “bottomless, unbounded, the abyss, the pit, of Orcus, a very deep gulf or chasm in the lowest parts of the earth used as the common receptacle of the dead and especially as the abode of demons” (Strongs)

Some may say that the “abyss” the demon was afraid to be sent to in this passage was this earth. However, that idea has little merit as the demon in question was already on this earth talking to Jesus. In addition, if this idea were true than Jesus would be made a liar as Jesus agreed to not send the demon into the “abyss”, and the pigs Jesus actually sent the demon into were also on this earth. So if the “abyss” is this earth, Jesus, in fact, would have sent the demon to the abyss, contrary to what He promised.

So it’s clear from this passage that the “abyss” is not this earth and that demons are sent there.

Now according to Strongs, the abyss is the same thing mentioned in 2 Peter 2:4 and Jude 1:6, which is HELL. However, to further prove that the “abyss”, “Pit”, and “Hell” are the same thing I will post more scriptural evidence:

“Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.” Isa 14:15

“I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell with them that descend into the pit: and all the trees of Eden, the choice and best of Lebanon, all that drink water, shall be comforted in the nether parts of the earth.” Eze 31:16

So now that we have established that Hell, the pit, and the abyss are the same place and that some demons have been sent there being held against their will until judgment, let’s look at if people are being held there as well:

“The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:” 2 Pet 2:9

Notice that Peter uses the very same language for people as he did for angels? Angels are “reserved” in hell for judgment (2 Pet 2:6), and people are “reserved” for judgment in this text above. So since we have the same language used we can conclude that they are in the same place, hell.

Now combine these scriptural facts with what Jesus stated about hell, and I think we have a very solid case for the existence of hell now where evil angels and people are being “reserved” for judgment: Matt 5:22, 29-30, 10:28, 18:9, 23:33; Mark 9:43, 45-47; Luke 12:5, 16:23.

Notice that Jesus literally states that people will be SENT to hell in these texts.

So based on LITERAL scripture it is clear that hell is a real literal place where both angels (demons) and evil people are right this very minute waiting for the judgment.

Now that we have established these facts, let’s look at some other interesting facts about this topic:

“For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,” 1 Pet 3:18-21

Notice that this text indicates that while Jesus was dead (after the cross) He went to preach to the “spirit” in prison. Notice that these were spirits of people who had died long ago during the time of Noah. Although this text doesn’t say this “prison” is hell or the abyss, Paul say that that is where Jesus went when he died, the pit or hell (Rom 10:7).

So we see that Jesus went to the abyss, pit, or hell while he was dead to preach to those “spirits” who were there.

Now when we look at the end time events it ties this truth all together:

“And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit [abussos]. And he opened the bottomless pit [abussos]; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.” Rev 9:1-2

So we see that the demons, who have been held in hell, abyss, or the pit come out of it during the end time events. This again shows that it is a literal place.

Well, these are the bible facts as I see them and they are all consistent with scripture.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/16/03 06:11 AM

Wow, evidentially this topic is of little interest to those posting on this site. I would concur that it’s not pivotal to anyone’s salvation, but due to the shear diversity of beliefs I thought it would raise more discussion.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/15/03 08:19 PM

It still will, however, there are presently some other topics on the go at the moment eating away my time. [Smile]
Posted By: Boblee

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/17/03 07:22 AM

Lobo,

You've raised an interesting question. From the texts you have referenced and a few others it seems possible that there is a prison within the earth where some of the fallen angels are kept. One time I read the suggestion that there was a cavern between the Bermuda triangle off the coast of Florida and the Devil's triangle off the coast of Japan where those angels were kept. The author suggested that whenever the gates to that cavern were opened, strange things happened on the surface such as mysterious fogs, ships or planes disappearing, etc. He was using the scriptural references to create an explanation for the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle.

It's not clear, however, that any dead people would be kept in that cavern, even if it did exist. Dead people may exist in some form which the Bible calls a soul or a spirit, but since they are not alive, there wouldn't be much reason to rebury them in some cavern. More likely, what the Bible refers to as souls or spirits of dead people are simply a record on some media of all their characteristics. In Bible times, such a record would be unthinkable. But today with our floppy disks, removable hard drives, CD-ROMs, etc., it is easy to see how God could keep a complete record of a person which He would later download into the body He makes for that person at the resurrection. But I digress.

More to the point, you referenced I Peter 3:18-21 as if it supported the presence of living humans in hell. You are overlooking the fact that at the time Jesus was in the grave, both Jesus and the people of Noah's day were dead. In many places and in many ways, the Bible makes it clear that when a person dies, he is no longer cognizant. And Peter makes it clear that the preaching he refers to took place "long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah," not during the time Jesus rested in the tomb.

But some of the angelic spirits in a prison? That is a possibility that seems to be supported by the Bible.

Bob Lee

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/20/03 08:48 PM

quote:

But some of the angelic spirits in a prison? That is a possibility that seems to be supported by the Bible.

Ever wonder why there was so much demon possession in the OT and in the NT until Jesus death, then after His resurrection, nothing?

It’s because the “time” that the demons feared or referred to was not Jesus return but His death on the cross. Here, let me outline this for you.

When you read Matt, Mark, and Luke’s account of the demon possessed man at Gadarenes, they all state that the demons knew Jesus and were afraid that He would torture or hurt them in some way.
Matthew wrote that the demon stated “before the appointed time” and Luke states that the demon also requested not to be sent into the abyss.

So from this we can see that there was a perception that Jesus would torture or inflict some kind of pain on these demons at an appointed time, in a specific place, the abyss.

Now review Col 2:14-17 and John 12:31 and you should see that the time the demons were afraid of was the time Jesus would take back the world, the cross. At the cross the fallen angels were locked into the abyss waiting for the end to be released.

quote:

More to the point, you referenced I Peter 3:18-21 as if it supported the presence of living humans in hell. You are overlooking the fact that at the time Jesus was in the grave, both Jesus and the people of Noah's day were dead. In many places and in many ways, the Bible makes it clear that when a person dies, he is no longer cognizant. And Peter makes it clear that the preaching he refers to took place "long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah," not during the time Jesus rested in the tomb.

It sounds like you are believing some scripture more than others?

“5Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. 6And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home--these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.” Jude

Jude tells us here that those the Lord destroyed in Egypt and fallen angels “these” He has kept in darkness”, the abyss. This indicates that people, or the souls of people (Egyptians) are also in the abyss.

“7In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.” Jude

Jude here tells us that the same or similar thing happened to those in Sodom and Gomorrah, that these people are suffering (current tense) eternal fire. Contextually you must conclude that Jude was talking about the abyss and that he knew the actual place of Sodom and Gomorrah was not still burning.

Again, more clear evidence that the soul does have more attributes after death than the SDA doctrine will accept.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/22/03 05:03 AM

Lobo,

You show an interesting example of texts which can be read in more than one way depending on prior assumptions one makes. In Jude 1, there is no apparent connection between verses 5 and 6 as you seem to make. There were people from Egypt who were destroyed (v 5) and demons who are kept in darkness and chains (v 6). The chapter does not say the demons were destroyed nor does it say the people from Egypt are in chains!

Similarly, there is no evidence in verse 7 that the people of Sodom or Gomorrah are in chains, only that they were burned up. As for that word "eternal" in v 7, compare it with the same word in verse 6 which says the demons were bound only until the judgment (presumably the one spoken about in I Cor. 6 in which you and I will be the judges).

We all make assumptions as we interpret our Bible (or anything else we study). But unless there is more evidence to back up conclusions based on one's assumptions than what you have posted, it may be wise to refrain from criticizing the conclusions someone else makes based on their assumptions.

An interesting example of diverse conclusions comes to us from the study of light at the beginning of the last century. Two mutually exclusive concepts about the nature of light were being taught. That is, if one concept was correct, the other could not be correct. To make a long story short, however, it turned out that BOTH were correct! (Ask any physicist for details). Perhaps a similar solution is involved here and in other Biblical studies.

Bob Lee

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/23/03 06:51 AM

“3Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. 4For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. 5Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. 6And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home--these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. 7In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.” Jude

The Greek term Jude uses in verse 7 for “in a similar way” is “hos”, which means “as, like, even as”, (Strongs). So contextually, Jude is stating that “as, like, or even as" the angels in vs 6 where “kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day”, the same or similar thing happened to Sodom and Gomorrah.

Contextually, Jude has connected verse 6 to 7 by using the term “hos”. As such, the conclusion that they both are related and share a common fate (as Jude indicates) is not assumption, but based on appropriate exegesis of the passage.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/25/03 05:39 AM

It would seem, Lobo, that you are still trying to make connections where there are none. In Jude 1:5, the people of Egypt were destroyed. In verse 7, the people of Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed. But in verse 6, the angels were NOT destroyed, they were kept in chains for a later day.

Therefore the words "In a similar way" must refer back to the people of Egypt who came to a similar fate, NOT to the angels in chains who were still alive. Those preconceived ideas will get you if you don't read the words carefully.

Bob Lee

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/27/03 08:47 PM

So let me get this straight; your exegesis is that Jude in verse 7 is skipping all the way back to verse 5, skipping verse 6, when he stated “in a similar way”? Are you also aware that Jude did not state that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed? That was your inserted idea. So your method of reading and determining the meaning of scripture is to add concepts not stated and skip around to support your ideas?

Well, that type of exegesis is too shaky for me.

Since Jude made no reference to Sodom and Gomorrah being destroyed in verse 6 and made a direct reference to the previous verse (six) by saying “in a similar way, and the fact that Jude knew good and well that Sodom and Gomorrah was not still visibly burning when he wrote that, the exegesis is clear. Jude feels that Sodom and Gomorrah “in a similar way” had the same outcome as the angels in verse 6.

So contextually, an exegesis that skips verses and inserts concepts that are not stated like Sodom and Gomorrah being destroyed, is clearly not appropriate exegesis for this passage or any other.

Perhaps it’s Jude you feel had preconceived ideas because he does not support your position?

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/29/03 06:23 AM

Lobo,

You are right that assumptions are made with regard to Sodom and Gomorrah. Genesis, for instance, does not say that the cities burned up, but it does say that burning sulpher rained down on the cities and Abraham saw dense smoke rising from the land. Then verse 29 clearly states that the cities were "destroyed." So when I read that they "served as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire" (Jude 1:7), is it assuming too much to believe that Sodom and Gomorrah burned up? And that all their inhabitants died in the fire?

I see no commonality between Jude 1 verse 6 and verse 7. The people died, the angels didn't. The angels abandoned their own home, the people didn't. The angels had positions of authority, the people didn't (except in their own little town).

Actually, if you go back to the subject Jude is discussing: "certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago [who] have secretly slipped in among you," (v 4) it seems obvious that the phrase "In a similar way" refers to "those men." "Those men" are probably also being compared to the Egyptians and the demons.

Bob Lee

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/30/03 02:22 AM

quote:

So when I read that they "served as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire" (Jude 1:7), is it assuming too much to believe that Sodom and Gomorrah burned up? And that all their inhabitants died in the fire?

Bob, don’t you think Jude was aware of that fact as well?

Jude stated “They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire”.

So do you think Jude feels they are literally still burning on this earth or that he meant something else?

Since Jude, you and I know that that fire is not still burning on this earth, Jude must have meant something else. So what did Jude mean by “eternal” fire?

Now combine this with the fact that Jude links verse 6 with 7 by saying “in a similar way”, which should give us a clue that part of the answer to our question of what “eternal” fire means is explained by his previous statement.

Next, Jude uses the term “suffer” or “suffering”, which is current, not past tense. So Jude felt that those in Sodom and Gomorrah were currently suffering at the time he wrote that.

So we have these facts so far; those in Sodom and Gomorrah suffer eternal fire (although that is not defined); and those in Sodom and Gomorrah have or had a “similar” fate as the angels who are “bound in chains for judgment”; and Jude felt this was a currently occurring thing.

Obviously, you know what my conclusion is based on these facts. So let’s here your explanation:

1. What is similar about the angels held until judgment in the abyss with Sodom and Gomorrah?

2. What is eternal fire?

3. Why did Jude feel that this fire was currently occurring?

Lastly, you may not see a connection between verse 6 & 7, but since Jude stated they were similar, and gave no additional qualifiers, we are stuck with the indication by Jude that they are linked in some way. Just stating that they are not linked because the outcome would be against your current beliefs is not really appropriate exegesis.

So I’m open to other interpretations, just ones that don’t ignore the facts of the passage and intent of the writer.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/30/03 07:21 AM

Lobo,

I think you missed what I suggested was the theme of Jude's admonition. Let me try it again.

In verse 3, Jude says he was eager to write about the salvation we share but he felt he had to write to urge his audience to fight for the faith which was entrusted to the saints. Why? Because, he says in verse 4, certain godless men have slipped in among you who preach that God's grace is license for immorality. Jude says also that these men deny that Jesus is our Lord and he claims that these concepts were condemned long ago. Does my paraphrase sound right so far?

Jude continues by saying his readers should already know this, but he continues with several parallel examples.

One, God was gracious to people who didn't believe at the time of the Exodus, but later they became so blatantly evil that God destroyed them.

Two, angels who abandoned their home and authority He bound in chains and kept in darkness.

Three, people of Sodom and Gomorrah, like the godless men who infiltrated Jude's audience, gave themselves up to sexual perversions and were eternally destroyed by fire.

Jude continues by saying that just like the examples, these godless men pollute their bodies (see #3 above), reject authority (see #1 & 2 above), and slander celestial beings (possibly as in #1 & 2 above). He remarks that even Michael refused to slander the devil when He was challenged about taking Moses' body.

Read the rest of the chapter. It's all about these "certain men" of verse 4 and a plea to keep the faith and reject these men. All three examples Jude used, and as I suggested, the phrases "in a similar way" of verse 7 and "in the very same way" of verse 8, and the description in the rest of the chapter, all refer back to the godless men of verse 4 not to some intermediate verse such as verse 6.

This is how I see it.

Bob Lee

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/31/03 06:42 AM

Bob,
I agree with your assessment of the overall point of Jude's message. However, that doesn’t negate the other items of truth that Jude inserts to make his point. In other words, the point of the passage is the godless men, but the examples Jude uses, in themselves, also give us additional information that is not the central theme of his writing.

For example, Jude stated "eternal fire", not eternally destroyed. The fact is that the concept of “eternal fire” was not a new one to Jude and was actually taught by Jesus (Matt 18:8, 25:41). This was also a concept understood in the OT as well, i.e. Isaiah 33:13-16.

Anyway, my point is that while giving us an example to support the point of his passage, Jude also indicated that he feels those in Sodom and Gomorrah are currently suffering in eternal fire.

Now whether this example of Sodom and Gomorrah can be applied to the angels in the previous verse, that is open to interpretation. The reason I make the connection is based on other scripture:

“Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” Matt 10:28

“In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.” Luke 16:23

“And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name." Rev 14:11

“And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.” Rev 20:10

So there is precedence for assuming Jude was also referring to this same concept mentioned other places in scripture.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 05/31/03 08:05 AM

Lobo,

It's interesting how one can read things into a passage that another does not see. You say, "Jude also indicated that he feels those in Sodom and Gomorrah are currently suffering in eternal fire." As I read Jude's seventh verse, I don't see any evidence that the people of Sodom or Gomorrah suffered, are currently suffering, or will suffer the punishment of eternal fire. They were EXAMPLES of those who will.

Because, as you noted previously, neither Sodom nor Gomorrah are burning today, it is this verse that Adventists use to demonstrate that "eternal fire" only lasts until the fire burns up whatever it is burning.

Inserting this definition of "eternal" into the other texts you referenced eliminates most of the argument you were trying to make. In addition, Matt 25:41 states that the "eternal fire" was prepared for the devil and his angels. That fire is described in Rev 20:7-9 and it doesn't even start for at least 1000 years from NOW, not 2000 years ago, and it comes down from heaven rather than being somewhere in the Earth today.

I grant that the language of the next verses (Rev 20:10-15) are a bit difficult to understand, but the final result of the various conflagrations can be found in Malachi 4:1-3: "they [the wicked] will be ashes under the soles of your feet." It's hard to walk on ashes while the fire is still burning. Obviously at some time in the future, that "eternal fire" will no longer be burning.

By the way, it's not really fair to base a doctrine on a parable, a contemporary fable Jesus used to illustrate a point (Luke 16:23). (Do you really believe there were just 10 coins in the parable of the ladies bowl, exactly 100 sheep in the fold of the man who lost one, a father restored a boy's fortune after he blew it, a farmer who was foolish enough to sow seeds on rocky places and on the foot path, a merchant who sold everything he had for a single pearl or ... well, I'm sure you get the picture?) There are so many discrepencies in the story of the rich man and Lazarus that I'm a bit surprised you would use it in the context you did.

Bob Lee

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/02/03 09:00 PM

quote:

It's interesting how one can read things into a passage that another does not see. You say, "Jude also indicated that he feels those in Sodom and Gomorrah are currently suffering in eternal fire." As I read Jude's seventh verse, I don't see any evidence that the people of Sodom or Gomorrah suffered, are currently suffering, or will suffer the punishment of eternal fire. They were EXAMPLES of those who will.

“7In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.” NIV

“7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.” KJV

“7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them, having in like manner with these given themselves over to fornication and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the punishment of eternal fire.” ASV

Etc, etc, etc………

Virtually all translations state that these people suffer or are suffering eternal fire. These references to suffering are current, not past tense. The term eternal fire is also mentioned in all translations and is translated from the Greek word “Aionios”, meaning “without beginning and end, that which always has been and always will be”, Strongs.

So even though most all translations say the very same word “suffer” or “suffering” and the words “eternal fire” you don’t see that mentioned? Strange?

Well, I don’t know what else there is to say about that issue. It is all there in black and white for those who choose to see it.

quote:

Because, as you noted previously, neither Sodom nor Gomorrah are burning today, it is this verse that Adventists use to demonstrate that "eternal fire" only lasts until the fire burns up whatever it is burning.

This explanation leaves Jude looking like an idiot. Jude knew good and well that the fire on this earth that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah was not still burning, and YET, he still used the term “everlasting fire”. So you either think Jude was ignorant of that fact or he was refering to some other fire.

quote:

Inserting this definition of "eternal" into the other texts you referenced eliminates most of the argument you were trying to make. In addition, Matt 25:41 states that the "eternal fire" was prepared for the devil and his angels. That fire is described in Rev 20:7-9 and it doesn't even start for at least 1000 years from NOW, not 2000 years ago, and it comes down from heaven rather than being somewhere in the Earth today.

Sorry, but your explanation conflicts with the Greek term Jude used in verse 7. The term “Aionios”, means without beginning or end. That means it is there now and has always been there.

quote:

I grant that the language of the next verses (Rev 20:10-15) are a bit difficult to understand, but the final result of the various conflagrations can be found in Malachi 4:1-3: "they [the wicked] will be ashes under the soles of your feet." It's hard to walk on ashes while the fire is still burning. Obviously at some time in the future, that "eternal fire" will no longer be burning.”

Really?

“And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind." Is 66:24 (This text SDA's always overlook because it conflicts with the Sabbath being observed on the new earth).

“43If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.“ Mark 9:43

You see the ash you are referring to is the body, not the soul or sprit.

quote:

By the way, it's not really fair to base a doctrine on a parable, a contemporary fable Jesus used to illustrate a point (Luke 16:23). (Do you really believe there were just 10 coins in the parable of the ladies bowl, exactly 100 sheep in the fold of the man who lost one, a father restored a boy's fortune after he blew it, a farmer who was foolish enough to sow seeds on rocky places and on the foot path, a merchant who sold everything he had for a single pearl or ... well, I'm sure you get the picture?) There are so many discrepencies in the story of the rich man and Lazarus that I'm a bit surprised you would use it in the context you did.

Bob, I’m not saying the specifics of the parable in Luke 16 are true, just the concepts. In other words, in what other story of Jesus did he use unbiblical concepts to teach a biblical concept? None!

So if life of the spirit after death was contrary to biblical teaching, Jesus would not have used it as an example. Your explanation is asking me and others to believe that Jesus believed that the ends justify the means. Meaning that it would be ok to teach a falsehood in order to get to the outcome of teaching a truth. Sorry, God does not operate that way.

Next, all parables of Jesus dealt with concepts and ideas that everyone understood and accepted; land, people, monetary systems, slavery, commerce, etc. So in order to be consistent, the disciples and people hearing that story would also have to understand the concepts of that story; death, soul, hell, heaven, etc. This is also evidenced by the fact that the disciples never asked him any questions about the story afterwards, which was unusual for them.

So the story in Luke shows two things; the concepts Jesus was outlining were not contrary to current biblical truth and were understood and common knowledge of his audience.

So while the specifics of the story like how much, many, often, etc. were made up, that concepts were not made up and supported biblical truth.
Posted By: Daniel12vs1

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/03/03 05:42 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“7In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.” NIV

“7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.” KJV

“7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them, having in like manner with these given themselves over to fornication and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the punishment of eternal fire.” ASV

Etc, etc, etc………

Virtually all translations state that these people suffer or are suffering eternal fire. These references to suffering are current, not past tense. The term eternal fire is also mentioned in all translations and is translated from the Greek word “Aionios”, meaning “without beginning and end, that which always has been and always will be”, Strongs.

So even though most all translations say the very same word “suffer” or “suffering” and the words “eternal fire” you don’t see that mentioned? Strange?

First let me introduce myself. My name is Daniel and I live in the USA. As I have read through this discussion it is obvious all of us can see these verses in different light. The mistake I find is that we tend to focus too much on one or two verses. All of scripture must be taken in to consideration before we can come to conclusion. We cannot ignore the testimony of the Old Testament in these matters for it is written:

(John 10:35 KJV) "If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;"

Christ made it clear that the scriptures cannot be broken, or altered. He was referring to the Old Testament for there was NO New Testament at the time. What does the Old Testament say regarding the above?

(Mal 4:1-3 KJV) "For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. {2} But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. {3} And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts."

God speaking through Malachi says the day will come when all the wicked will be turned into what? Stubble, ashes. And that they will be ashes under the feet of the righteous. If I may Lobo how does one reconcile this very obvious statements with the position you are taking?

Jude to me has made it clear that the results of Sodom's disobedience was total destruction by an eternal fire. It does not say they will be burning forever but that the fire is eternal. We see the results of this fire being describe in Malachi.

As far as what happens to a person when they die, whether they be righteous or wicked Job asked the same question AND suppies us with the answers.

Job is complaining that he did not die within his mothers womb because of his presenty affliction:

(Job 3:10-22 KJV) "Because it shut not up the doors of my mother's womb, nor hid sorrow from mine eyes. {11} Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly? {12} Why did the knees prevent me? or why the breasts that I should suck? {13} For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept: then had I been at rest,

At rest with whom?

{14} With kings and counsellors of the earth, which built desolate places for themselves; {15} Or with princes that had gold, who filled their houses with silver: {16} Or as an hidden untimely birth I had not been; as infants which never saw light.

What happens to them that are there?

{17} There the wicked cease from troubling; and there the weary be at rest. {18} There the prisoners rest together; they hear not the voice of the oppressor.

All those who die, righteous or wicked now cease from troubling, there they are at rest together. There the prisoners are together, both the righteous and with wicked and they no longer hear the voice of the oppressor, Satan. All are there for it is written:

{19} The small and great are there; and the servant is free from his master. {20} Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul; {21} Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures; {22} Which rejoice exceedingly, and are glad, when they can find the grave?"

How can he say the wicked will be glad to find the grave if indeed it is a place of torment? Job later tells us more about this place and what happens to them later.

(Job 14:10-14 KJV) "But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he? {11} As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up: {12} So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep. {13} O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me! {14} If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come."

When will Jobs appointed time come? My bible references 1 Cor 15:51-57

(1 Cor 15:51-57 KJV) "Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, {52} In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. {53} For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. {54} So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. {55} O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? {56} The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. {57} But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

How about the wicked?

(Rev 20:7-15 KJV) "And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, {8} And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. {9} And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. {10} And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. {11} And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. {12} And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. {13} And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. {14} And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. {15} And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

As you can see AFTER the 1000 years those that we destroyed by the brightness of Christ's coming, those that were NOT resurrected at the second coming of Christ now live again (see verses 4-5). They stand before the judgment seat for the execution of the judgment. They are THEN cast into the lake of fire. Malachi tells us the results of this "eternal fire". They are burned up both root and branch and only ashes are left!

So now how do we apply all of this to the above conversation? In Jude we see Sodom and Gohmorra as an example of the above. The results? Ashes! These angels that are held in reserve are held here on this planet as I do believe you suggested UNTIL this final day of Judgment. It is then they are cast into the lake of fire.

BTW the term "pit" I did a word study in scripture and by comparing a little here, line upon line, the pit is the grave. Simply that. It is bottomless can the grave, as Proverbs points out, cannot be filled up. We keep putting people into the ground and it NEVER is full now is it?

Hope this helps
God bless
Daniel

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/03/03 07:18 PM

quote:

God speaking through Malachi says the day will come when all the wicked will be turned into what? Stubble, ashes. And that they will be ashes under the feet of the righteous. If I may Lobo how does one reconcile this very obvious statements with the position you are taking?

I guess the same way you must reconcile Isaiah 66:24?

“And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind." Is 66:24

God clearly spoke through Isaiah and stated that the fire would not be quenched, meaning it will not go out. So how do you reconcile this text that seems to conflict with Malachi?

Want more?

“13 You who are far away, hear what I have done; you who are near, acknowledge my power! 14 The sinners in Zion are terrified; trembling grips the godless: "Who of us can dwell with the consuming fire? Who of us can dwell with everlasting burning?" Isaiah 33

How do you reconcile this?

quote:

How can he say the wicked will be glad to find the grave if indeed it is a place of torment? Job later tells us more about this place and what happens to them later.

I don’t know Daniel. How can Job also say that the dead are indeed in pain?

The dead are in deep anguish, those beneath the waters and all that live in them.
Death is naked before God; Destruction lies uncovered.” Job 26:5-6

Want more?

“9 The grave below is all astir to meet you at your coming; it rouses the spirits of the departed to greet you- all those who were leaders in the world; it makes them rise from their thrones- all those who were kings over the nations. 10 They will all respond, they will say to you, "You also have become weak, as we are; you have become like us." 11 All your pomp has been brought down to the grave, along with the noise of your harps; maggots are spread out beneath you and worms cover you.” Isaiah 14:9-11

“15 But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit. 16 Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate: "Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, 17 the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?" Isaiah 14:15-17

You see Daniel this issue is not as clear as you seem to believe. A cursory study, as you have done here, will just not do in terms of understanding the truth of what scripture really means on this issue. So might I suggest that you also study the texts that conflict with your position to get a more rounded understanding?

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/03/03 09:25 PM

I guess the same way you must reconcile Isaiah 66:24?

“And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind." Is 66:24

God clearly spoke through Isaiah and stated that the fire would not be quenched, meaning it will not go out. So how do you reconcile this text that seems to conflict with Malachi?

Daniel: Exactly Lobo they cannot conflict with each. They must harmonize. Malachi is very plain so how does one harmonize what Isaiah said? Well the word "quenched" means 3518. kabah, kaw-baw'; a prim. root; to expire or (causat.) to extinguish (fire, light, anger):--go (put) out, quench. Please note this fire cannot be extinquished. You and I cannot PUT IT OUT. There have been some examples of that today. Some home fires or forestfires the fire fighters are unable to control, unable to put out so they just contain. Fire from heaven I am sure will be of such a nature no one will be able to put it out for Peter says even the very elements will burn! So it does not mean it will not got out when it has no more to burn. Proverbs tells us the fire never crys it is enough. As long as it has fuel it will burn. Also please note we find examples of the term "forever" not necessarily meaning forever and forever without end. Example: Jonah in the belly of the whale or the slave having a master forever. Does that mean Jonah never got out of the whales belly or that even in the New Jerusalem if one is a slave here to one he will be a slave to that same person there? I think not.

(Prov 30:15-16 KJV) "The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give. There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough: {16} The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough."

Lobo: Want more?

“13 You who are far away, hear what I have done; you who are near, acknowledge my power! 14 The sinners in Zion are terrified; trembling grips the godless: "Who of us can dwell with the consuming fire? Who of us can dwell with everlasting burning?" Isaiah 33

How do you reconcile this?

Daniel: Again I do believe the answer is obvious. The answer to the two questions is "No body". No one can dwell with the consuming fire, no one can dwell with the everlasting burning. Malachi explains the results of such fire.

quote:

I don’t know Daniel. How can Job also say that the dead are indeed in pain?

“The dead are in deep anguish, those beneath the waters and all that live in them. Death is naked before God; Destruction lies uncovered.” Job 26:5-6

Daniel: The King James reads a bit different.

(Job 26:5-6 KJV) "Dead things are formed from under the waters, and the inhabitants thereof. {6} Hell is naked before him, and destruction hath no covering."

Now I must confess this one is a bit complexing. We can see this from many views. To stay within the confines of my understanding of what happens when a person dies the above COULD mean the "walking dead". They are formed, they are in deep anquish under the waters. The term waters is used in verse 8 to mean the clouds above us here on this planet. So regardless of whether one is amongest the walking dead or in the grave, no one can hide from God. Hell is "naked" before Him, and even if one is destroyed there is no covering that can hide one from the Almighty God.

Lobo: Want more? Sure

“9 The grave below is all astir to meet you at your coming; it rouses the spirits of the departed to greet you- all those who were leaders in the world; it makes them rise from their thrones- all those who were kings over the nations. 10 They will all respond, they will say to you, "You also have become weak, as we are; you have become like us." 11 All your pomp has been brought down to the grave, along with the noise of your harps; maggots are spread out beneath you and worms cover you.” Isaiah 14:9-11

Daniel: The above is again obvious. When will the grave stir? The verse says AT HIS COMING! At the second coming the dead in Christ will stir, they will rise up at His call. Those that are asleep in the grave will hear His voice and stir! The righteous that is. At the end of the 1000 years we are told the wicked dead are alive again so obviously we see once again those in the grave astir, to rise to meet final judgment.

(Isa 26:19 KJV) "Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead."

Lobo: “15 But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit. 16 Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate: "Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, 17 the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?" Isaiah 14:15-17

Daniel: The above verses deals with who Lobo? With Lucifer, with Satan. The time will come as Rev 19 and 20 reveal all will see this one who had made the earth to tremble, who had messed with all the mighty men, turning the world into a desert, refusing to let go of God's people as did Pharaoh. They will say "this is the one that did all of that? His fate is the same as mine!"

Lobo: You see Daniel this issue is not as clear as you seem to believe. A cursory study, as you have done here, will just not do in terms of understanding the truth of what scripture really means on this issue. So might I suggest that you also study the texts that conflict with your position to get a more rounded understanding?

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Actually it sure seems quite clear to me Lobo. The above verses CAN be reconciled with the understanding that the dead are just that... dead.

Yours in Christ
Daniel

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/04/03 02:31 AM

quote:

Daniel: The above is again obvious. When will the grave stir? The verse says AT HIS COMING! At the second coming the dead in Christ will stir, they will rise up at His call. Those that are asleep in the grave will hear His voice and stir! The righteous that is. At the end of the 1000 years we are told the wicked dead are alive again so obviously we see once again those in the grave astir, to rise to meet final judgment.

Read this text again Daniel, its referring to the coming of King of Babylon into hell after being killed (vs 4)

You know, I only quote part of these texts to save space with the understanding that you will read them all in context. So please read more than I have posted in scripture so you will have the full picture.

quote:

Daniel: The above verses deals with who Lobo? With Lucifer, with Satan. The time will come as Rev 19 and 20 reveal all will see this one who had made the earth to tremble, who had messed with all the mighty men, turning the world into a desert, refusing to let go of God's people as did Pharaoh. They will say "this is the one that did all of that? His fate is the same as mine!"

Again, it you read the entire passage in context Isaiah is referring to Babylon. I know you will try and make that as symbolic Babylon as in Rev, but that is not the case as the very next verse talks about Assyria and the one after that talks about Philistine. So unless you have proof that those two ate symbolic, then you are left with them being the literal kingdoms. In which case you are mistaken in your interpretation.

quote:

Actually it sure seems quite clear to me Lobo. The above verses CAN be reconciled with the understanding that the dead are just that... dead.

If one ignores all evidence to the contrary of their position, sure, everything is simple. However, if one is honest and weighs all evidence equally and without preconceived bias, then it is not very clear at all.

Lastly it seems you are saying that the fire is eternal but the people are not eternally burning, is that your position? If so, where is the eternally burning fire and what is the fuel that keeps this fire burning, or is it like the burning bush that is burning without fuel?

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/04/03 05:44 AM

quote:

Read this text again Daniel, its referring to the coming of King of Babylon into hell after being killed (vs 4)

You know, I only quote part of these texts to save space with the understanding that you will read them all in context. So please read more than I have posted in scripture so you will have the full picture.

Daniel: You are right Lobo. I was in a real hurry this morning when I read your response. I did read the first three in depth and answered them but when I got to Isaiah 14 I did not. So I stand corrected. BUT at this point with you not challenging the first three I must assume you can see the connection we are presenting there.

quote:

Again, it you read the entire passage in context Isaiah is referring to Babylon. I know you will try and make that as symbolic Babylon as in Rev, but that is not the case as the very next verse talks about Assyria and the one after that talks about Philistine. So unless you have proof that those two ate symbolic, then you are left with them being the literal kingdoms. In which case you are mistaken in your interpretation.

Daniel: Ok let us now look at them again. In the KJV we see Lucifer named in verse 12. The prophecy seems to be mainly dealing with him and he IS the ultimate king of Babylon is he not? Babylon being the ultimate kingdom that is against Christ and His people. When will all the nations see him as being describe here in Isaiah 14? I see this taking place at the end of the 1000 yaers. Just food for thought my friend.

quote:

If one ignores all evidence to the contrary of their position, sure, everything is simple. However, if one is honest and weighs all evidence equally and without preconceived bias, then it is not very clear at all.

Lastly it seems you are saying that the fire is eternal but the people are not eternally burning, is that your position? If so, where is the eternally burning fire and what is the fuel that keeps this fire burning, or is it like the burning bush that is burning without fuel?

Daniel: No I am saying the fire cannot be quenched BUT when its fuel is gone it will go out. Yes the people are NOT eternally burning but are eternally destroyed, turned into ashes as indicated my Malachi. yes there is a hell but it just does not last forever as is being taught today. This would mean these people have eternal life, just a bit on the warm side.

Scripture teaches we can have eternal life ONLY if we accept Christ.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/04/03 05:58 PM

quote:

Daniel, I don’t see any point in continuing this conversation if you are not going to read scripture as written. I know you desperately want it to say a certain thing to justify your current beliefs, but that simple is not the case.

“9 The grave below is all astir to meet you at your coming;…….”

It does not say at HIS coming. It says at your coming, referring back to the king opf Babylon which is the point of subject of the passage, verse 4.

quote:

Daniel: Ok let us now look at them again. In the KJV we see Lucifer named in verse 12. The prophecy seems to be mainly dealing with him and he IS the ultimate king of Babylon is he not? Babylon being the ultimate kingdom that is against Christ and His people. When will all the nations see him as being describe here in Isaiah 14? I see this taking place at the end of the 1000 yaers. Just food for thought my friend.

Gain, I think you are reading things into the text that are not there. If your point is correct, then is Lucifer also the king of Assyria and a Philistine? You appear to be making something symbolic to fit other prophesies when there is no indicate that that is appropriate in this context.

quote:

Daniel: No I am saying the fire cannot be quenched BUT when its fuel is gone it will go out. Yes the people are NOT eternally burning but are eternally destroyed, turned into ashes as indicated my Malachi. yes there is a hell but it just does not last forever as is being taught today. This would mean these people have eternal life, just a bit on the warm side.

Good point Daniel, I agree with you. I myself do not believe hell will last past the lake of fire because hell is thrown into it at the end, meaning it is destroyed or removed. So I fully agree that those that go to hell will only be there until that time and not forever. However, this fact does not negate the fact that scriptures teaches that there is a hell right now and evil souls are there right now. As I have pointed out before, I believe this is the same place as the abyss.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/04/03 09:33 PM

quote:

Daniel, I don’t see any point in continuing this conversation if you are not going to read scripture as written. I know you desperately want it to say a certain thing to justify your current beliefs, but that simple is not the case.

Lobo, I do believe you missed my recognition that I was wrong about WHOSE coming it was. Sorry about the misunderstanding. Here is my acknowledgment again for the mistake:

Daniel: You are right Lobo. I was in a real hurry this morning when I read your response. I did read the first three in depth and answered them but when I got to Isaiah 14 I did not. So I stand corrected. BUT at this point with you not challenging the first three I must assume you can see the connection we are presenting there.

So I agree with you it is NOT Christ's coming being discussed here but the coming of the "King of Babylon" And yes I do believe this is a prophecy dealing mostly with Lucifer as the KJV strongly suggests. And yes Lucifer being the prince of THIS world basically has ALL kingdoms under his "thumb". While it is true God is the ultimate ruler Satan does have control of those who have yielded to him do you not think so? As we look around in the history of mankind we certainly can see Satan manifesting his character through many nations and then God stepping in and saying "that is enough".

And again Yes I look at what Isaiah is saying as a prophecy, not necessarily a decree of judgment against JUST literal Babylon and its literal human king. It certainly could have some dual applications, I am sure you would not deny that.

-----------------------
Lobo: Good point Daniel, I agree with you. I myself do not believe hell will last past the lake of fire because hell is thrown into it at the end, meaning it is destroyed or removed. So I fully agree that those that go to hell will only be there until that time and not forever. However, this fact does not negate the fact that scriptures teaches that there is a hell right now and evil souls are there right now. As I have pointed out before, I believe this is the same place as the abyss.

Daniel: I am sure you understand we as SDA's do not accept nor believe in the immortal soul. Scripture states only God is immortal. But putting that aside for a moment do you believe that our Heavenly Father is a just God? I am sure you do. How just is it for a let us say a teenager who died outside the ark of safety 4000 years ago. He was not a REAL bad kid but was still a sinner not accepting God's provisions. Now here we are almost 4000 years later and we have an Adolf Hitler. Are you suggesting that this teenager was punished for 4000 years LONGER then Hitler who, according to your understanding, only entered into hell about 50 years ago1 Does this sound just? Not to me my friend. Food for thought.

Yours in Christ
Daniel

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/05/03 01:16 AM

quote:

Daniel: I am sure you understand we as SDA's do not accept nor believe in the immortal soul. Scripture states only God is immortal. But putting that aside for a moment do you believe that our Heavenly Father is a just God? I am sure you do. How just is it for a let us say a teenager who died outside the ark of safety 4000 years ago. He was not a REAL bad kid but was still a sinner not accepting God's provisions. Now here we are almost 4000 years later and we have an Adolf Hitler. Are you suggesting that this teenager was punished for 4000 years LONGER then Hitler who, according to your understanding, only entered into hell about 50 years ago1 Does this sound just? Not to me my friend. Food for thought.

Daniel,

First, let me clear up something; I do not believe the soul is immortal. Immortality is always conditional and granted by God, it does not exist outside of that relationship. So if souls live on it is only through God granting that ability not through some endemic quality.

Next, I don’t think the test of what scripture does or doesn’t mean is our ability to rationalize or understand God and His judgments. So whether or not we think something is just or not just has no bearing on the truth.

Lastly, on this same issue maybe you have hit upon the reason Jesus went and preached to the souls dead in the flood while He was dead for those three days? Maybe they have another chance because of their inability to know and understand Jesus as the messiah?

“18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,” 1 Peter 3
Posted By: marcel

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/06/03 10:24 AM

I haven't had time to read all the posts so hope I'm not repeating anything.

I read about the Jewish concept of Hell on a Jewish web-site.

Interestingly the Jewish beleif is that there is a hell and heaven as actual places although they don't go into much detail or studies of what they will be like. They say that people should not bother too much about these things and leave it in God's hands.

They also beleive that people will not stay in Hell for more than about a year during which time they will have the opportunity to change their ways and enter heaven or if they don't they will be annihilated.

So it seems as if at least part of the SDA believe re hell is based on possibly "catholic" teachings.

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/06/03 04:09 PM

quote:

Daniel,

First, let me clear up something; I do not believe the soul is immortal. Immortality is always conditional and granted by God, it does not exist outside of that relationship. So if souls live on it is only through God granting that ability not through some endemic quality.

Daniel: Praise the LORD! I guess we are not to far apart in all of this now are we?

Lobo: Next, I don’t think the test of what scripture does or doesn’t mean is our ability to rationalize or understand God and His judgments. So whether or not we think something is just or not just has no bearing on the truth.

Daniel: True BUT still God has given us a sense of what justice is has He not? The concept does not nor would be cosdidered less just then our own concepts and what does Job say?

(Job 4:17 KJV) "Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?"

The obvious answer is of course not! Our God IS a God of justice, truth, mercy and LOVE! Love does not punish unjustly.

Lobo: Lastly, on this same issue maybe you have hit upon the reason Jesus went and preached to the souls dead in the flood while He was dead for those three days? Maybe they have another chance because of their inability to know and understand Jesus as the messiah?

“18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,” 1 Peter 3

Daniel: It is interesting that you should bring into this the above verse. Does it say Christ went AFTER His death to those who died in the flood? No it says Christ THROUGH His spirit visited those who disobeyed WHILE the ark was being built. BUT only eight were saved the rest lost. Scripture makes it clear we all die THEN comes the judgment, we are all judged according to the deeds we have done in the flesh. There is NO second chance, we only have ONE.

But anyway certainly have enjoyed our discussion.

Yours in Christ
Daniel

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/06/03 08:24 PM

Daniel, I think you should read this text again.

Please notice the sequence of the sentences and who is being discussed.

1) “He was put to death but made alive by the spirit” – This indicates that whatever occurs after this sentence to Jesus would be related to Him being alive by the spirit or in spirit. So this was after His death and not during the time of Noah.

2) “Through whom also” – This is a reference to the previous sentence where Jesus was made alive by the spirit. Therefore, this can only refer to the spirit.

3) “He went and preached to the spirits in prison” – The “He” is a reference to Jesus. And it clearly states He went and preached to SPIRITS in PRISON. The reference to spirits is clearly not humans that are alive and the reference to prison is consistent with descriptions of the abyss where angels are held in chains (Jude).

4) ”who disobeyed long ago”….. – a reference to the previous sentence subject which was the spirits in prison.

So Daniel, it is clear that Jesus was alive through the spirit and went to preach to SPIRITS in PRISON and these spirits were those that disobeyed during the time of the flood. I believe anyone with an open mind can see that is what this texts states.

==========

Formatting correction only. - Daryl

[ June 06, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/08/03 06:49 AM

Lobo,

Your reconstruction of I Peter 3:18 is interesting, but rather skewed. Jesus was "made alive by the Spirit" alright, but He was made alive Sunday morning not during the time He was dead (see v 22). And yes, through the Spirit Jesus "preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed . . . in the days of Noah while the ark was being built," but as I pointed out before, the only time Jesus could preach to those spirits was while they were alive. That, as the text specifically states, was in the days of Noah.

Bob Lee

Re: Hell: A Literal Place Now, Later, or Both? - 06/09/03 08:45 PM

So now your explanation is that Jude is calling living people “Spirits”? And don’t confuse this from having a spirit. Jude literally stated “spirits”. So can you tell me where any other writer in all scripture called a living person a “spirit”?

It seems to me that you are really reaching to make this text not say what most would agree it literal does say.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church