Is "Polygamy" a Sin?

Posted By: Daryl

Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/17/05 06:25 AM

Mike Lowe (Mountain Man) posted the following in a different topic that prompted me to create this topic:

quote:

You’re right, having more than one wife, not realizing it violates the law, is not a sin. But, polygamy isn’t a part of the list, is it? God commanded the married brother-in-law of a childless widow to take her to wife and to raise seed unto his brother.

Does the Bible call "Polygamy" a sin?
Posted By: Tom

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/16/05 10:01 PM

The Spirit of Prophesy comments:

quote:
Polygamy was practiced at an early date. It was one of the sins that brought the wrath of God upon the antediluvian world. . . . It was Satan's studied effort to pervert the marriage institution, to weaken its obligations and lessen its sacredness; for in no surer way could he deface the image of God in man and open the door to misery and vice.(Conflict and Courage 36)
Jesus said:

quote:
4And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?(Matt. 19:4, 5)

Deut. 17:17 says,

quote:
17Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
which might be taken as addressing polygamy.

The instructions for elders seems to be an indication against polygamy.

I think the Scripture quoted by Jesus is the clearest statement which shows polygamy is not according to God's will. God only created one wife for Adam, and the two of them were to cleave and become "one flesh". If they are "one flesh", that wouldn't seem to leave room for others to creep in.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/16/05 10:39 PM

I am not disagreeing with what has been posted here, however, doesn't it seem that God winked his eye so to speak at polygamy after The Flood?

What about David and his wives and Solomon and his many wives?

Why didn't the prophets rebuke David in the number of wives as was done in how he obtained another wife, namely Bathsheba?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/17/05 12:09 AM

Yes, I mentioned God winking His eye. God is very gracious, and He did that a lot (and still does; that is, God is still as gracious as He ever was and He winks where there is ignorance). This is a point I tried to make in the flood thread.
Posted By: Will

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/17/05 01:04 AM

God is merciful indeed, but David and Solomon were not ignorant of the 10 commandments.
Tom provided Scripture that refers to having 1 wife (singular), but these men according to Scripture had many. These incidents were not out of ignorance, so I am confused as to why God did not let them know the error they were committing?
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/17/05 01:07 AM

There were other things God was more concerned about.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/17/05 01:26 AM

Could it be simmilar today? God being more conserned about different things than us?
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/17/05 03:27 AM

David had the law and was well aware that he was violating it. The fact that this was a common practice of other kings around Israel was no excuse for his violation of the law; besides the 10 Commandments, he had the warning of Deut. 17:17, as Tom pointed out. The problem is that David was excusing his own sinful course to himself.
His sin of polygamy led him to the sin of adultery and murder.
It would probably have been useless for God to have sent a prophet before this point, for David was resisting the Spirit of God and probably would have despised the reproof and turned against the prophet. Why is it that often human beings must hit the bottom of the barrel before God can reach them?
Posted By: Davros

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/17/05 04:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by västergötland:
Could it be simmilar today? God being more conserned about different things than us?

Seeing how there was not much comment about these kings for this issue, I would say that the people of the time did not seem all that conserned about it either.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/17/05 06:17 AM

quote:
This has always been the case.

quote:
6Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old?

7Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

8He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6:6-8)

Posted By: Will

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/17/05 09:15 AM

What about being given permission to sleep with another woman as in the case of Abraham, Sarah & Hagar? Adultery was a known sin in those times as seen in Joseph's situation with Potiphar's wife.
As a result of abraham sleeping with Hagar and Sarah Isaac & Ishmael were born, the start of 2 nations Arabs & Hebrews. Where was the rebuke to Abraham for that, and even when Hagar was run off by Sarah God appeared to her and told her to go back, and not one word said or implied about comitting adultery?
Any thoughts?
God Bless & Happy Sabbath,
Will

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/17/05 02:14 PM

Will,

“After the birth of Isaac the great joy manifested by Abraham and Sarah caused Hagar to be very jealous. ... Sarah saw the disposition manifested by Ishmael against her son Isaac, and she was greatly moved. She related to Abraham the disrespectful conduct of Ishmael to her and to her son Isaac, and said to him, ‘Cast out this bondwoman and her son; for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.’
“Abraham was greatly distressed. Ishmael was his son, beloved by him. How could he send him away? He prayed to God in his perplexity, for he knew not what course to take. The Lord informed Abraham, through His angels, to listen to the voice of Sarah his wife, ... For this was the only course he could pursue to restore harmony and happiness again to his family. Abraham had the consoling promise from the angel, that Ishmael, although separated from his father's house, should not die nor be forsaken of God, that he should be preserved because he was the son of Abraham. God also promised to make of Ishmael a great nation....
“His [Abraham’s] strong spirit suffered much. He was bowed with grief, and his paternal feelings were deeply moved as he sent away Hagar and his son Ishmael to wander as strangers in a strange land.
If God had sanctioned polygamy, He would not have thus directed Abraham to send away Hagar and her son. He would teach all a lesson in this, that the rights and happiness of the marriage relation are to be ever respected and guarded, even at a great sacrifice. Sarah was the first and only true wife of Abraham. She was entitled to rights, as a wife and mother, which no other could have in the family. She reverenced her husband, calling him lord, but she was jealous lest his affections should be divided with Hagar. God did not rebuke Sarah for the course she pursued. Abraham was reproved by the angels for distrusting God's power, which had led him to take Hagar as his wife and to think that through her the promise would be fulfilled.” {SR 79, 80}

Also, I don't agree that God wasn't concerned with polygamy. The fact that the Bible records the negative results of polygamy is proof that God condemns it.
The problem is that God doesn't send a message of warning through a prophet every time His children choose to sin. He speaks through the Holy Spirit. He has already given instruction in His Word and expects His children to obey it. God only intervened in mercy with David, otherwise he would be led to utter ruin, and in mercy to Israel, for David's sin cast reproach upon God's name and tended to lower the standard of godliness in the nation.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 09/18/05 06:15 AM

Just to be clear on my comment, I didn't say God was not concerned with polygamy, but that He was more concerned about other things.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 04/28/06 07:20 PM

Quote:

David had the law and was well aware that he was violating it. The fact that this was a common practice of other kings around Israel was no excuse for his violation of the law; besides the 10 Commandments, he had the warning of Deut. 17:17, as Tom pointed out. The problem is that David was excusing his own sinful course to himself.
His sin of polygamy led him to the sin of adultery and murder.
It would probably have been useless for God to have sent a prophet before this point, for David was resisting the Spirit of God and probably would have despised the reproof and turned against the prophet. Why is it that often human beings must hit the bottom of the barrel before God can reach them?

Good point!

What, then are groups, like the LDS, basing their pologamy actions on?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 04/28/06 07:59 PM

What do you know. I discussed this in a chatroom this morning and here it shows up. We may dislike polygamy for whatever the reasons may be but it cannot be because God disapproves of it. God never shows displeasure of polygamy. After Abraham He never said anything about it. He obviously knows what to do when something is unacceptable as at Sodom and the Tower of Babel. The strange thing is that we have no problem with serial polygamy in the name of divorce and remarriage. Christ says clearly why divorce is never good but prefer to embrace it why denouncing something He never denounces. If your wife won't allow you to get another wife then rejoice in the wife of your youth, but don't try to invent a transgression for the one who cares for more than one wife.

I am tired of seeing the weak argument that attempts to judge the institution by the times when it was misused. By that standard we should all kill ourselves because death is the only human act that has no negative consequences. Anything humans do sometimes has unexpected consequences. Jehovah's Witnesses will not celebrate birthdays because at one infamous birthday party they served up John's head on a platter. Let's not go for that kind of reasoning.
Posted By: Darius

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 04/28/06 08:01 PM

Post #79764 was by me.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 04/28/06 08:20 PM

Quote:

I am tired of seeing the weak argument that attempts to judge the institution by the times when it was misused.

Are you suggesting polygamy was being misued? Is it OK for wives to multiply husbands as well?

It seems to me you are saying that because God did not explicitly speak against some practice in the Old Testament, that means He approves of it. We know God didn't like divorce (He says He hates it in Malachi), but He allowed it anyway. Slavery is another example that comes to mind. Is God in favor of slavery?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 04/28/06 10:38 PM

He also did not say whether He approves of turning peanuts into peanut butter. I don't get your point. What kind of slavery are you referring to? See? You use words without paying attention to their meaning. I am sure you can find the difference between the slavery described in the OT and that practice in the US. Polygamy, on the other hand, was practiced by "some of God's closest friends."

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 04/29/06 12:49 AM

Is your point that polygamy is OK? Or that it was OK? It seems to me you are getting my point fine.

You are coming across to me as argumentative. Would you please turn down the tone a bit? In forums where we have nothing but written words to see our communication is of necessity harsher sounding than what we would feel in person.

Thank you.

I'm sure the reverse is just as possible, so apologize if I've come across as argumentative.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/04/06 03:25 PM

Quote:

Polygamy was practiced at an early date. It was one of the sins that brought the wrath of God upon the antediluvian world. . . . It was Satan's studied effort to pervert the marriage institution, to weaken its obligations and lessen its sacredness; for in no surer way could he deface the image of God in man and open the door to misery and vice.
Conflict and Courage p. 36

Quote:

The person who sins breaks God's law. Yes, sin is living against God's law.
1 John 3:4 NCV

It would seem that polygamy is not something God shows favor to.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/04/06 04:17 PM

Quote:

It would seem that polygamy is not something God shows favor to.

The biblical record says differently but we are free to differ. This assertion reminds of the people who claim that Jesus was a vegetarian. We try so hard to make God in our own image.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/04/06 05:26 PM

So EGW says that polygamy is a sin, but you say the Bible does not. We know that sin is living against God's law, so if polygamy is sin, it is not something that God shows favor to. This then leads me to ask who is wrong here? EGW, The Bible, or you?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/04/06 05:31 PM

Quote:

This assertion reminds of the people who claim that Jesus was a vegetarian. We try so hard to make God in our own image.

That seems a bit of a stretch; we have record of Jesus eating no less that three different kinds of flesh, although all clean ones, but we have no record of God ordaining polygamy.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/05/06 12:51 AM

Excellent EGW quote, Dave, that obviously reveals that polygamy is indeed a sin, a terrible sin.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/05/06 01:23 AM

Why is the conclusion drawn on the basis of an EGW quote?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/05/06 04:27 AM

On the basis that she is God's appointed messenger, and that her writings are from God.

On what basis should we accept what you say here?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/05/06 05:01 AM

That would seem as good a reason as any could give!

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/05/06 05:26 AM

Quote:

On the basis that she is God's appointed messenger, and that her writings are from God.

On what basis should we accept what you say here?

We are all God's messengers. You should not just accept what I say here. The admonition of the Bible is very germane here. We should test everything that has passed through the minds of humans. There is not one human who has not been affected by misinformation and bias.
Posted By: Jeff

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/05/06 05:32 AM

Quote:

We try so hard to make God in our own image.

Darius, do you not do that yourself? You frame your image of God based upon your beliefs about Him. You’ve said as much that observation is primarily how you derive your beliefs. You paint your image of Him according to your interpretation of events, perhaps modifying that image as new events suggest. Where the scriptures, or EGW, or whomever seems to differ with your perception of observable facts, you go with your perception. Is that about how it works?

Jeff

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/05/06 05:41 AM

Quote:

This then leads me to ask who is wrong here? EGW, The Bible, or you?

I would still like to know the answer to this.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/05/06 03:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

We try so hard to make God in our own image.

Darius, do you not do that yourself? You frame your image of God based upon your beliefs about Him. You’ve said as much that observation is primarily how you derive your beliefs. You paint your image of Him according to your interpretation of events, perhaps modifying that image as new events suggest. Where the scriptures, or EGW, or whomever seems to differ with your perception of observable facts, you go with your perception. Is that about how it works?

Jeff

Any perception that does not model reality goes out the window. This, BTW, is why EGW stopped advancing the Shut Door theory. She simply admitted she was wrong on that score. Nothing bad about that. Hey, I hae been through all these perceptions and discarded them when I realized they were deficient. A lifetime of Christianity and Adventism plus training in Adventist ministry is qualification enough.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/05/06 03:59 PM

That was my response to Jeff above.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/06/06 02:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This then leads me to ask who is wrong here? EGW, The Bible, or you?

I would still like to know the answer to this.

Are you attempting to say EGW got this wrong?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/06/06 02:13 AM

Quote:

Are you attempting to say EGW got this wrong?

I don't understand the question when I have clearly stated the facts. I get the impression you believe that EGW was incapable of being wrong on matters relating to theology. That sounds awfully close to the RCC teaching on papal infallibility when speaking ex cathedra. Is that your view?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/06/06 05:06 AM

I'll take you normal dodge to mean yes. Please feel free to discredit that assumption if it is wrong.

I believe that se was as infallible as the Apostle Paul, Moses, or Elijah when it cam to the inspiration of God. If the spirit that inspired Paul also inspired EGW, and Paul was not wrong, then it would only be logical to perceive that EGW was not wrong.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/06/06 05:24 AM

Quote:

Any perception that does not model reality goes out the window. This, BTW, is why EGW stopped advancing the Shut Door theory. She simply admitted she was wrong on that score. Nothing bad about that. Hey, I hae been through all these perceptions and discarded them when I realized they were deficient. A lifetime of Christianity and Adventism plus training in Adventist ministry is qualification enough.

But what do you do when you don’t know enough about reality to judge your perception? Reality is what is real on its own and regardless of our ability to perceive it or understand it. Perception is the mental model we abstract from reality. The more obvious reality is, the easier it is to perceive it accurately. The less obvious reality is, the more we have to fill in what we don’t know with more abstraction. Some might call that abstraction faith. I’m not sure what “real” evidence you find that convinces you that your perception of reality is any more accurate than Peter’s, or EGW’s. It takes a measure of faith to fill in that much.

Jeff

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/06/06 07:43 AM

Hey Jeff, I like what you wrote about perception, abstraction, etc.

Just a small comment that faith should not be viewed as that which we don't understand. Faith has to do with trust, and trust is based on evidence and reason. That is, God wants us to trust Him because that is our reasonable service.

I might be being picky here, as I'm responding to the statement "we have to fill in what we don't know with more abstraction. Some might call that abstraction faith." This can give the impression that faith is based on what we don't know.
Posted By: gordonb1

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/06/06 04:06 PM

Hello Darius,

"This, BTW, is why EGW stopped advancing the Shut Door theory. She simply admitted she was wrong on that score."

Please provide the source or reference where EGW admitted she was wrong in advancing the Shut Door theory.

Thank you ,

Gordon

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/06/06 05:29 PM

That’s the point though Tom, we don’t have to put as much “trust” in things that are more concrete, but as things become more abstract, the more we have to trust that our perception is accurate, rather than knowing so. But I’m not saying that faith isn’t trust, but our faith isn’t completely based on what we’ve seen either, or it would be concrete knowledge. We still have to fill in with faith that which we haven’t seen.

For example, Thomas wasn’t exercising as much faith in the Lord’s resurrection when he touched His side as we must exercise in believing that story was real. We trust that these things were so. Thomas knew that these things were so...at least as the story goes.

Jeff

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/06/06 09:06 PM

Quote:

I'll take you normal dodge to mean yes. Please feel free to discredit that assumption if it is wrong.

I believe that se was as infallible as the Apostle Paul, Moses, or Elijah when it cam to the inspiration of God. If the spirit that inspired Paul also inspired EGW, and Paul was not wrong, then it would only be logical to perceive that EGW was not wrong.

Paul, Moses, Elijah were not infallible so I agree with you. She is as infallible as they were.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/06/06 09:15 PM

Quote:

Hello Darius,

"This, BTW, is why EGW stopped advancing the Shut Door theory. She simply admitted she was wrong on that score."

Please provide the source or reference where EGW admitted she was wrong in advancing the Shut Door theory.

Thank you ,

Gordon

When one stops advocating a particular view then the conclusion is obvious without the formal statement.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/07/06 12:28 AM

Sorry, Darius, that doesn't cut it with me, therefore, I disagree with your statement that EGW "simply admitted she was wrong on that score" as, if that were true, she would have clearly said so.

Darius, I must also state that you seem to think that you have all the answers, that if you think something to be so that it is so for the reason that what you state here, you state so dogmatically. That is how you come across to us here, and to me particularly. I don't know why you are like this, but like this is how I perceive you to be.

Getting back on topic, I just finished watching and listening to a message of 3ABN on Exodus 20:14, "Thou shalt not commit adultery", in which he stated that polygamy is clearly a sin.

Of course, as I think was already posted here, EGW also, under inspiration, clearly wrote that polygamy is clearly a sin.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/07/06 05:30 PM

Daryl, you have to consider the value of believing that EGW did not admit that she was wrong on the Shut Door and also stopped teaching it while advocating the very opposite to it. That is your call.

I don't advance anything for which I do not have strong evidentiary support. I preach no dogma because everything I advance is subject to scrutiny. If you can show that I am wrong then you are free to do so but it has never been a hallmark of sound human progress to judge the validity of an idea simply because it negates accepted views.

I also heard the sermon by Lomacong. It was interesting the way he hurried over the statement. He believes it but he knows he can't support it. I have a higher standard for truth.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/07/06 11:04 PM

In that case, Darius, show us your strong evidentiary support.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 12:02 AM

After the first polygamist was recorded in the Bible the creator had ample opportunity to make His feelings on the subject known. He said nothing. In fact, many more of his spokesmen openly practiced polygamy with not a word from the creator. That is sufficient, but it is here I am struck by the irony. We wish to claim that polygamy is a sin but have no problems accepting it when it is done serially under the name of divorce and remarriage. Polygamy is not wanton sexual behavior and it preserves the dignity of those involved.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 12:47 AM

Now we are getting somewhere by having something tangible to look at and discuss.

I did a word search, and, as far as I can determine, this is the first instance of what we refer to today as polygamy:

Quote:

Gen. 16:3 And Sarai, Abram's wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her handmaid, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to Abram her husband to be his wife.

Now, the question is, was this a sinful act that was done in this instance?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 01:07 AM

After doing some reading and reflecting upon this, I have another question to ask, namely, that if this wasn't a sinful act, then did God approve of this?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 01:20 AM

There is no indication that the Creator disapproved of it. The problems that arose were not because of the practice but because of the people involved. The same is true of monogamous marriages. There was no sin involved in the act itself. She gave her to him to be his wife.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 01:38 AM

As I hold to the fact that God inspired the writings of EGW, I decided to do a "polygamy" word search of her writings and came up 44 times in which this word was used by her.

Here are one of these:

Quote:

Chap. 30 - Marrying and Giving in Marriage

In the days that were before the flood they were . . . marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark. Matt. 24:38. {Conflict and Courage 36.1}

In Noah's day brute force was the prevailing influence in the world. By threatened punishment, men intimidated other men. {CC 36.2}

Instead of doing justice to their neighbors, they carried out their own unlawful wishes. They had a plurality of wives, which was contrary to God's wise arrangement. In the beginning God gave to Adam one wife--showing to all who should live upon the earth, his order and law in that respect. The transgression and fall of Adam and Eve brought sin and wretchedness upon the human race, and man followed his own carnal desires, and changed God's order. The more men multiplied wives to themselves, the more they increased in wickedness and unhappiness. If one chose to take the wives, or cattle, or anything belonging to his neighbor, he did not regard justice or right but if he could prevail over his neighbor by reason of strength, or by putting him to death, he did so, and exulted in his deeds of violence. They loved to destroy the lives of animals. They used them for food, and this increased their ferocity and violence, and caused them to look upon the blood of human beings with astonishing indifference. {CC 36.3}

The descendants of Seth were called the sons of God; the descendants of Cain, the sons of men. As the sons of God mingled with the sons of men, they became corrupt and, by intermarriage with them, lost, through the influence of their wives, their peculiar, holy character, and united with the sons of Cain in their idolatry. Many cast aside the fear of God and trampled upon His commandments. But there were a few that did righteousness, who feared and honored their Creator. Noah and his family were among the righteous few. {CC 36.4}

Polygamy was practiced at an early date. It was one of the sins that brought the wrath of God upon the antediluvian world. . . . It was Satan's studied effort to pervert the marriage institution, to weaken its obligations and lessen its sacredness; for in no surer way could he deface the image of God in man and open the door to misery and vice. {CC 36.5}

In the above quote EGW wrote under inspiration that polygamy was one of the sins that brought the wrath of God upon the antediluvian world.

Here is another EGW quote pertaining specifically to what I saw as the first recorded instance of polygamy in the Bible:

Quote:

Abraham had accepted without question the promise of a son, but he did not wait for God to fulfill His word in His own time and way. A delay was permitted, to test his faith in the power of God; but he failed to endure the trial. Thinking it impossible that a child should be given her in her old age, Sarah suggested, as a plan by which the divine purpose might be fulfilled, that one of her handmaidens should be taken by Abraham as a secondary wife. Polygamy had become so widespread that it had ceased to be regarded as a sin, but it was no less a violation of the law of God, and was fatal to the sacredness and peace of the family relation. Abraham's marriage with Hagar resulted in evil, not only to his own household, but to future generations. . . .{Daughters of God 27.1}

Are we to ignore the above quotes?
My answer is a resounding no, as I see this as inspired evidence that polygamy is indeed a sin that was one of the reasons of The Flood and will also be one of the reasons for The Lake of Fire.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 04:01 AM

I think they may be a tendency to look at these quotes as if they are saying:
a)Polygamy is bad because God doesn't like it.
b)In fact, God disliked it so much, that it made so angry, He sent a flood to deal with those who were doing it.

The right way seeing this is given here:

Quote:

Polygamy had become so widespread that it had ceased to be regarded as a sin, but it was no less a violation of the law of God, and was fatal to the sacredness and peace of the family relation. Abraham's marriage with Hagar resulted in evil, not only to his own household, but to future generations.

which is to say, polygamy was bad because:
a)It is fatal to the sacredness and peace of the family relation.
b)It results in evil, not only in the present generation, but in following generations.

In other words, God hates polygamy because it is bad, not the other way around.

The wrath of God is His allowing the consequences to come from the choices which are made, not something arbitrary which God does to wreak havoc upon those who do things contrary to His intentions. Doing things contrary to His intentions bring their own havoc, because only the principles of God's government can bring peace, love and happiness.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 11:28 AM

Considering the example of Abraham, I find it interesting that him marrying Hagar, the egyptian, was distrusting God (Gal 4) while marrying Sarah, Abrahams fathers daughter (Gen 20) and thus his sister was according to Gods promise. And some 10 generations down the line, on the mount where Moses recieved the law from God, it would become detestable before God for Abraham to marry his fathers daughter while it would have been acceptable to marry the nonrelated Hagar. What to do with this mess?

/Thomas

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 03:07 PM

Daryl, I find it interesting that you aren't as insistent that inspiration equals infallibility when you read the Bible as you are when you read EGW. Could you have elevated her to a position she does not deserve? Why do you disagree with Jesus when He taught that at death the righteous go to Abraham's bosom and the wicked go to a burning hell?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 07:49 PM

Quote:

That is sufficient, but it is here I am struck by the irony. We wish to claim that polygamy is a sin but have no problems accepting it when it is done serially under the name of divorce and remarriage.

That's the point, Darius. Divorcing and marrying one at a time is less objectionable than marrying two at a time. Why is then divorce and remarriage condemned in the Bible as adultery?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That is sufficient, but it is here I am struck by the irony. We wish to claim that polygamy is a sin but have no problems accepting it when it is done serially under the name of divorce and remarriage.

That's the point, Darius. Divorcing and marrying one at a time is less objectionable than marrying two at a time. Why is then divorce and remarriage condemned in the Bible as adultery?

We should be careful not to present church teachings as divine teachings. The Creator never said that serial marriages are less objectionable than polygamy. That is how we have set it up in the west. And I suggest you take another look at the passage about divorce and remarriage. It is not called adultery. Christ said that the man who divorces his wife CAUSES her to commit adultery.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 08:06 PM

Quote:

Considering the example of Abraham, I find it interesting that him marrying Hagar, the egyptian, was distrusting God (Gal 4) while marrying Sarah, Abrahams fathers daughter (Gen 20) and thus his sister was according to Gods promise. And some 10 generations down the line, on the mount where Moses recieved the law from God, it would become detestable before God for Abraham to marry his fathers daughter while it would have been acceptable to marry the nonrelated Hagar. What to do with this mess?

Thomas,

Abraham's distrust in God was not related to whom he married, because he was already married when he received the promise; his distrust was related to the birth of a son through someone who was not his wife.
As to the change of rules regarding marrying sisters/brothers, you have to consider that at the beginning of the world, the only way for the race to multiply was the intermarriage between Adam's sons and daughters. This was modified later to half-sisters/brothers, and still later there was no need for marrying close relatives. The rules were modified because, with the weakening of the race, this came to represent a risk. This is not a mess. God was just being coherent.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/08/06 08:11 PM

Quote:

As to the change of rules regarding marrying sisters/brothers, you have to consider that at the beginning of the world, the only way for the race to multiply was the intermarriage between Adam's sons and daughters. This was modified later to half-sisters/brothers, and still later there was no need for marrying close relatives. The rules were modified because, with the weakening of the race, this came to represent a risk. This is not a mess. God was just being coherent.

Why do we wish to turn rules of pragmatism into sins? We seem bent on inventing sins at every turn. How badly we must want to be thought superior to others.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 12:32 AM

Well, this was probably at least some 400 years of childmaking after the flood so there would have been plenty of time for people to grow up and be aviable for starting families. This is illustrated by Abrahams biography with all the different kingdoms and citystates he was involved with.

Secoundly, the parents of Moses, much closer to the lawgiving (Ex 6) may give something to ponder.

Though you are probably right. As far as I am aware there is no indication that any of the bibles authors took this as a problem with the persons mentioned.

/Thomas

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 02:23 AM

Quote:

And I suggest you take another look at the passage about divorce and remarriage. It is not called adultery. Christ said that the man who divorces his wife CAUSES her to commit adultery.

Are you remembering what Christ said in Matt. 19?

Quote:

7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 02:29 AM

Quote:

Why do we wish to turn rules of pragmatism into sins? We seem bent on inventing sins at every turn. How badly we must want to be thought superior to others.

All sins are rules of pragmatism (which is not to say that all rules of pragmatism are sin). Jesus laid out the principle of divorce/remarriage being adultery by referring to the fact that in the beginning God created Adam and Eve, one man and one woman. This principle is easily understood, and easily seen to apply to polygamy. Had God intended for a man to have more than one wife, He would have created multiple help mates for Adam to start with.

I'm curious (sorry if I already asked this, I can't remember). Do you understand that polygamy, according to the teachings of the New Testament, is a sin?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 03:39 AM

Quote:

Daryl, I find it interesting that you aren't as insistent that inspiration equals infallibility when you read the Bible as you are when you read EGW. Could you have elevated her to a position she does not deserve? Why do you disagree with Jesus when He taught that at death the righteous go to Abraham's bosom and the wicked go to a burning hell?

Darius,

I am just as insistent, if not even more insistent. I will look at what she says in relation to what the Bible says. If I do not see an apparent contradiction, I will accept what she says as God's inspired messenger. I will definitely accept what she says over what you say. You are definitely not God's inspired messenger.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 05:32 AM

Quote:

You are definitely not God's inspired messenger.

Did you get a personal call from heaven on that? And, who told you He/She only has one? Be careful on what basis you make your decisions.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 06:06 AM

He/She?
Posted By: bethybug

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 07:03 AM

do any of you know a someone living in polygamy? I do, and I can tell you that the man is happy but the women are not. Can you imagine how the children turn out? That should settle this argument....the results.
Posted By: bethybug

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 07:09 AM

Just thought I would mention that I am NOT impressed with all the snit-pickin' in here....and I am sure that God is not impressed either! It shows great maturity to be able to disagree agreeably.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 11:18 AM

I am not happy with the snit-pickin either, however, when somebody responds to the inspired writings of EGW, I must respond with serious questions and concerns, which begs yet another serious question to Darius in conection to this and other topics/posts made by Darius.

Darius, are you claiming to be God's inspired messenger like EGW?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 02:41 PM

Quote:

do any of you know a someone living in polygamy? I do, and I can tell you that the man is happy but the women are not. Can you imagine how the children turn out? That should settle this argument....the results.

Do you know any monogamous marriages where the results are an absolute disaster? Do you judge monogamous marriages by those examples? Some errors of logic are just too obvious for us to continue making them.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 02:44 PM

Quote:

Darius, are you claiming to be God's inspired messenger like EGW?

Daryl, test every idea that comes to you. Remember, every human makes mistakes and you cannot know when they will make them.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 02:45 PM

Quote:

He/She?

What problem does that raise in your mind?

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 06:48 PM

Quote:

The Creator never said that serial marriages are less objectionable than polygamy.

OK, I’ll say then that they are equivalent – both involve a plurality of wives. Anyway, what do you say about Matt. 19:9, which Tom quoted? Here Jesus says that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/09/06 07:24 PM

Quote:

1When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.
3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"

4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

10The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."

11Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage[c]because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."

It is never a wise idea to use excerpts from a conversation, especially where a specific question is being answered, as the source for dogma. The question was about one wife because that would cover all wives. If a man in Moses' time had four wives he could have divorced one and replaced her with another. Jesus responded in character. One who marries a wife has a responsibility to take care of her. If he could only take care of four wives it would be wrong to take to himself five wives. But what if he divorces one of the four and takes another in her place. How many wives does he now have? They thought that the answer would be four, but it was five because the Creator never accepts divorce. But now one of the wives was not being cared for. That is the context of Jesus' response. In a society where polygamy is permitted (for it is never required) it would be immoral to take one wife or multiple wives that one cannot support financially and emotionally.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/10/06 02:56 AM

EGW clearly stated that polygamy is a sin, which I believe doesn't contradict the Bible but amplifies it.

Unless somebody can clearly show me/us differently from the Bible, I guess that will most likely bring this topic to a close.

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/10/06 02:59 AM

Let us also now take a vote on this topic by participating in the following poll:

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/10/06 06:30 AM

Darius, you wrote, "And I suggest you take another look at the passage about divorce and remarriage. It is not called adultery. Christ said that the man who divorces his wife CAUSES her to commit adultery." But you were wrong about this, because Jesus said, "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."
Posted By: Kevin H

Re: Is "Polygamy" a Sin? - 05/17/06 09:40 AM

A starting point is, what is sin... is it simply God's arbatary likes and dislikes, or is it things that make life harder and hurts relationships.

The examples of polygamy in the Bible tend not to have happy endings. Since we have forgotten how to read the Bible in context, too often people only read about people who are heros of the faith who practiced polygamy and thus see it as not a sin since they will be in heaven. What they miss is how polygamy tended to result in pain and the Bible is saying that even if an action may not necessarly keep you out of heaven, it can still be too painful to practice.

This also teaches about how God works on leading us in if we were to learn the lessons. It also shows the different levels of sin. It was seen as different from Adultry and fornication in that these were single people forming a family unit, and not tearing appart a family that is already in existance as adultry does, nor the careless promiscuality that defines fornication, but polygamy does have a commitment, but teaches us that it is still hard trying to commit to more than one and that the family could be a lot less painful in a one man one woman relationship.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church