How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 1

Posted By: Tom

How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 1 - 01/29/07 07:30 AM

Tom:Given that most prophecies do not have the word "if" in them, how can you tell if they are conditional?

Daryl:As you had already stated before, by their content or characteristic.

I stated this? Where? This doesn't sound like me. For one thing, that's not what I think.

Well, leaving that alone, what does this mean? What is the "characteristic" of a conditional prophecy? How does it differ from one which is not conditional?

What I've been trying to ask is, how do you know the difference from a conditional prophecy and an unconditional one?

(This is taking so long to get to, I've forgetting what my point it!)

=====

Topic name change only as creating a new topic from this post and subsequent posts. - Daryl
Posted By: Daryl

Re: The Ten Fundamental Tests Of A True Prophet Of God - Phase 2 - 01/29/07 04:18 PM

Tom,

I said what I said in reference to what you had posted in post #84497 in this same topic.

Re: The Ten Fundamental Tests Of A True Prophet Of God - Phase 2 - 01/29/07 06:30 PM

I've been asking for over a week now how you know if a prophecy is conditional. You first stated by whether or not it had the word "if" in it. I pointed out that this was an inadequate test, and suggested that a more fruitful course would be to consider the characteristics of the prophecy, which you are agreeing with. However, for you to say that you agree with me on this is not answering my question. To answer the question, you would have to explain what these characteristics are.

How do you know if a given prophecy is conditional or unconditional? Is it important to know?

Re: The Ten Fundamental Tests Of A True Prophet Of God - Phase 2 - 01/29/07 06:49 PM

Yes, it is important to know, therefore, if you know the answer to your own question, please answer it yourself?

Re: The Ten Fundamental Tests Of A True Prophet Of God - Phase 2 - 01/29/07 10:25 PM

Ok, I'll answer my own question. (I'm a bit disappointed you didn't take a shot at it. Things learned by our figuring things out ourselves are better remembered than things just pointed out by someone else.)

Very few prophesies are not conditional. The principle of conditional prophesies is spelled out by Jeremiah:

Quote:
5 Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: 6 "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?" says the Lord. "Look, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! 7 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.(Jer. 18:5-11)

Very few prophecies do not involve the free will of either a person or nation. Therefore determining the truthfulness of a prophet is not as simple as seeing if what (s)he predicted came true or not, because very likely there is an element of conditionality involved (implicit if not explicit). One needs to take into account the prophecy as a whole, taking into account the conditions (which again, may be implicit, rather than explicit).

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 1 - 01/29/07 10:59 PM

In other words, the characteristics of the prophecy itself, as in Jonah's prophecy.

I also agree that most prophecies are conditional prophecies, but there are also prophecies that are not conditional.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 1 - 02/01/07 09:32 PM

As all the posts didn't move with this topic, I am calling this topic Part 1 and will close it down and create part 2 from the other posts that I will soon be moving here.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church