Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4?

Posted By: Daryl

Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/09/13 08:39 PM

Who are the 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4?

You can use different sources, online or offline, along with the Bible to substantiate your responses.
Posted By: Johann

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/09/13 11:55 PM

It has been a general concept that at lest most of these 24 elders rose from the dead at the time of the resurrection of Christ, and that they were taken to heaven as representing the children of God on earth, and also as witnesses in the vindication of God in teh final judgment.

Have any of you seen a solid Scriptural verification for a different understanding?
Posted By: His child

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/10/13 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Johann
It has been a general concept that at lest most of these 24 elders rose from the dead at the time of the resurrection of Christ, and that they were taken to heaven as representing the children of God on earth, and also as witnesses in the vindication of God in teh final judgment.

Have any of you seen a solid Scriptural verification for a different understanding?

since they are clothed in white raiment as overcomers are, I have always heard your scenario.

Seems like I heard Stephen B give a presentation that concluded that they were from unfallen worlds. He cited Spirit of Prophecy, but I did not check all his references at the time.
Posted By: Harold Fair

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/10/13 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: His child

Seems like I heard Stephen B give a presentation that concluded that they were from unfallen worlds. He cited Spirit of Prophecy, but I did not check all his references at the time.

I did. At the time he was giving that lecture, I had the book,
'Desire of Ages' on my lap and looked up his referrences. They
are NOT in there. He had the text posted on a screen with parens
showing what he wanted them to say. Llke, "the 24 elders (Aliens)"..etc... I turned him off.
Posted By: kland

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/11/13 12:47 AM

I would think parenthesis would indicate a writer knows it was not in there, but uses parenthesis for indicating his interpretation. If he had left the parenthesis off, then you would have legitimate objection.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/11/13 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl

You can use different sources, online or offline, along with the Bible to substantiate your responses.
Could they be the same as the sons of God meeting in Job?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/11/13 01:53 PM

How about Gen 6:2 or Hosea 2:1?

Would sons be elders?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/11/13 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Harold Fair
Originally Posted By: His child

I did. At the time he was giving that lecture, I had the book,
'Desire of Ages' on my lap and looked up his referrences. They
are NOT in there. He had the text posted on a screen with parens
showing what he wanted them to say. Llke, "the 24 elders (Aliens)"..etc... I turned him off.

It is good to keep ones eyes open and check. So many refuse to check themselves in fear they might have to change their minds.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/11/13 05:14 PM

Would sons be elders?
Are all references to sons of God the same or could they apply differently?

Not sure what you meant by Hosea 2:1...
Posted By: His child

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/11/13 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: kland

Could they be the same as the sons of God meeting in Job?

If they are the sons of God identified in Job, doesn't that gives credence to SB's assertion "aliens"?

They are clothed in white raiment.

"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment;" Revelation 3:5.

Hence an overcomer, i.e., translated earthling or someone resurrected with Christ when He ascended to heaven.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/11/13 05:56 PM

I guess I could call those not of this world, "aliens".

Quote:
Re 15:6 And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/11/13 06:42 PM

Would sons be elders?

Not sure what you meant by Hosea 2:1...

No wonder. In our authorized version Hosea 2:1 is 1:10 in the KJV.

Hosea 1:10

King James Version (KJV)

10 Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/12/13 01:08 AM

You might want to watch and listen to this by Pastor Stephen Bohr:

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/12/13 05:22 AM

He says what he says about the 24 elders at the very end of the above embeded presentation and states he will focus on this in the next presentation, which I will also place here when I find it.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/26/13 09:21 PM

You might want to watch and listen to this by Pastor Stephen Bohr:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jrldoWoZKFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I try to play this video a sign appears stating it is private. Has he changed his mind since the production?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/27/13 04:12 AM

That is strange!!!

Will need to check that our further.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/27/13 04:20 AM

Seems like the video was changed to private.

When I have time, I will see if I can locate another one, or find out why it was changed to private.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/27/13 05:01 AM

It is the next presentation that I was interested in watching, however, that one is probably also now on the private video list.

I guess I will need to focus on his written material about it now, which I downloaded from his web site.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/27/13 09:01 AM

There are sons of God by creation
(see Luke 3:38)
and
There are sons of God by adoption.
(see Romans 1:15, Romans 9:4 Gal. 4:5 Eph. 1:5)

The idea Steve Bohr presents is that the 24 elders are "sons by creation" -- that is the first created of each world who is given the dominion of the world --

Adam was the "son of God" by creation for this world,
but he forfeited that position when he sold out to Satan.
Thus Satan appears at the heavenly counsel meeting with the other "sons of God" from other worlds, (see Job 1:6 and 2:1)

Job also lets us know there were "Sons of God" rejoicing when this world was created! (see Job 38:7)

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/27/13 09:58 AM

There is a link to a paper but it seems hugely condensed and changed from what I remember it being earlier.

Link to Steve Bohr's paper on the 24 elders.

This quote I didn't see which I know was in his original:

There is the throne (Rev 4:2), and around it the rainbow of promise (Rev 4:3). There are cherubim and seraphim (Rev 4:6-8). The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds, are assembled (Rev 4:4, 10). The heavenly council before which Lucifer had accused God and His Son, therepresentatives of those sinless realms over which Satan had thought to establish his dominion,—all are there to welcome the Redeemer. They are eager to celebrate His triumph and to glorify their King. {DA 832.15}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/27/13 04:48 PM

That's the same one that I downloaded.

The fact that his video series on this is now private tells me that he must have changed his thinking regarding who makes up the 24 Elders.

I asked what happened to those videos on his Secrets Unsealed You Tube page.
Originally Posted By: dedication
There is a link to a paper but it seems hugely condensed and changed from what I remember it being earlier.

Link to Steve Bohr's paper on the 24 elders.

There is the throne (Rev 4:2), and around it the rainbow of promise (Rev 4:3). There are cherubim and seraphim (Rev 4:6-8). The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds, are assembled (Rev 4:4, 10). The heavenly council before which Lucifer had accused God and His Son, therepresentatives of those sinless realms over which Satan had thought to establish his dominion,—all are there to welcome the Redeemer. They are eager to celebrate His triumph and to glorify their King. {DA 832.15}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/28/13 01:28 AM

According to the link to Pastor Stephen Bohr's written material, quoted below, the 24 Elders are representatives of all the inhabited planets:
Quote:
According to the Spirit of Prophecy, the 24 elders are powerful angels to whom God as delegated the responsibility of being representatives of the worlds that never sinned. Notice the following statements:

“This roll was written within and without. John says: "I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon" [verse 4]. The vision as presented to John made its impression upon his mind. The destiny of every nation was contained in that book. John was distressed at the utter inability of any human being or angelic intelligence to read the words, or even to look thereon. His soul was wrought up to such a point of agony and suspense that one of the strong angels had compassion on him, and laying his hand on him assuringly, said, "Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof" [verse 5].” Manuscript Releases, volume 12, pp. 296, 297

In its original Biblical context the words of verse 5 are spoken by one of the twenty-four elders but Ellen White identifies the elder as ‘one of the strong angels.’

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/28/13 01:35 AM

Here's another interesting quote:
Quote:
Conclusion: Satan stole the position which rightfully belonged to Adam who was the legitimate representative of the planet. He usurped Adam’s rightful throne. This is the reason why Jesus called Satan “the ruler of this world” (John 12:31). When Adam chose to obey Satan, he became Satan’s subject for we are subjects of the master whom we choose to obey (Romans 6:16)

For additional evidence that the universe is governed by a heavenly council see 2 Chronicles 18:18-22.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/28/13 06:29 PM

The fact that his video series on this is now private tells me that he must have changed his thinking regarding who makes up the 24 Elders.
Why is that the only conclusion to be made? Looks like if he changed his mind, he would just remove it completely and there would be no evidence it ever existed. Or, just change the video with no comment and no one would be the wiser.

Who can access private videos, why would changing his mind still allow some to access it? I'm just suggesting to get all the facts before concluding things which may not be true.

Quote:
There is the throne, and around it the rainbow of promise. There are cherubim and seraphim. The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds, are assembled. The heavenly council before which Lucifer had accused God and His Son, the representatives of those sinless realms over which Satan had thought to establish his dominion,--all are there to welcome the Redeemer. They are eager to celebrate His triumph and to glorify their King. {DA 834.1}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/28/13 08:06 PM

Some think that TV can prove anything.

Stephen Bohr makes up his mind about when those resurrected with Christ went to heaven without support. Perhaps he ought to read his Bible?
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/28/13 09:07 PM

According to the link to Pastor Stephen Bohr's written material, quoted below, the 24 Elders are representatives of all the inhabited planets:
Quote:
According to the Spirit of Prophecy, the 24 elders are powerful angels to whom God as delegated the responsibility of being representatives of the worlds that never sinned. Notice the following statements:

“This roll was written within and without. John says: "I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon" [verse 4]. The vision as presented to John made its impression upon his mind. The destiny of every nation was contained in that book. John was distressed at the utter inability of any human being or angelic intelligence to read the words, or even to look thereon. His soul was wrought up to such a point of agony and suspense that one of the strong angels had compassion on him, and laying his hand on him assuringly, said, "Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof" [verse 5].” Manuscript Releases, volume 12, pp. 296, 297

In its original Biblical context the words of verse 5 are spoken by one of the twenty-four elders but Ellen White identifies the elder as ‘one of the strong angels.’

This is very interesting. I hadn't noticed before that EGW refers to them as angels. I've found three more references related to the subject. Rev. 7:13, 14 says that one of the elders spoke to John, but in these passages EGW refers to him as an angel:

John beholds an innumerable company, precious, refined, purified, around the throne of the Majesty of Heaven. The angel inquires of John, "What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?" and John answers, "Sir, thou knowest." Then the angel declares: "These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple; and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them." {ST, December 22, 1887 par. 7}

As John saw the multitude standing around the throne of God, the question was asked, "What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?"--"These are they which came out of great tribulation," the angel answered, "and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." {ST, April 17, 1901 par. 18; ST, November 22, 1905 par. 3}

It is the truth of God received in the heart and practiced in the life that makes man thus precious in the sight of God. As John sees this precious company refined and purified around the throne of God, the angel inquires, "What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?" And John answers, "Sir, thou knowest." And the angel answers, "These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them" [Revelation 7:13-15]. {1SAT 35.2}

So it seems clear that the 24 elders are angels. What doesn't seem so clear is that they are "powerful angels to whom God has delegated the responsibility of being representatives of the worlds that never sinned." This conclusion can't be inferred from the passages themselves - it's pastor Bohr's private opinion.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/28/13 10:35 PM

Bohr seems to make quite a point of that those resurrected with Christ could not have been there in heaven when Jesus came "home". As far as I can see this point is not substantiated, but is Bohr's own opinion.

That these "angels" should be representatives from other worlds is also his private opinion.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/29/13 05:04 AM

As I also have an You Tube account, only the account holder can see their own uploaded videos when they have been set to private mode from public mode.

Why is that the only conclusion to be made? Looks like if he changed his mind, he would just remove it completely and there would be no evidence it ever existed. Or, just change the video with no comment and no one would be the wiser.

Who can access private videos, why would changing his mind still allow some to access it? I'm just suggesting to get all the facts before concluding things which may not be true.

Quote:
There is the throne, and around it the rainbow of promise. There are cherubim and seraphim. The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds, are assembled. The heavenly council before which Lucifer had accused God and His Son, the representatives of those sinless realms over which Satan had thought to establish his dominion,--all are there to welcome the Redeemer. They are eager to celebrate His triumph and to glorify their King. {DA 834.1}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/29/13 09:57 AM

I think Bohr has "kind of" changed his mind on the subject.

That link I posted does not contain the same material that was on his site about three years ago.

It appears that either someone sent him the quotes where EGW uses the word "angel" instead of "one of the 24 elders" or he himself came across them, and that caused him to change his webpage and privatize his video. Though there is still a bit of his former thoughts -- angels representing unfallen worlds is sort of a compromise for his earlier idea.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/29/13 10:08 AM

Earlier ideas: Sept. 2010
Quote:
Key points:
1.The morning stars and sons of God existed BEFORE creation. See Job 38:1-7
&#9702;The stars are angels (Rev 12:3, 9)
&#9702;The sons of God are kings of their planets - worlds (Job 1:6, 7)
--1.They do not always live where God is
--2.Satan came along with them showing he is their peer or contemporary
--3.Satan came representing planet earth (implying the sons of God represent other planets)

2.Satan was among the sons of God because he believed the earth was given to him (Luke 4:5-6)
&#9702;When Adam obeyed Satan, Satan became his master and Adam his slave (Romans 6:16)

3.The universe is ruled by a council. 2 Chronicles 18:18-22, Daniel 7:9-10; Revelation 4:1-7 (use NKJV)

4.Adam is an original son of God (Luke 3:38, Patriarchs & Prophets page 45)

5.The king is crowned and given his territory (Psalm 8:3-5; Review & Herald, Feb 24, 1874)
Who are the 24 elders?
---1.The are seated on thrones (not seats as the KJV said. Same Greek word is used for God's throne)
---2.They are clothed in white raiment
---3.They have crowns on their heads
---4.In the Desire of Ages pages 833 - 835 they are identified as the sons of God - the representatives of the unfallen worlds.

A Process of Elimination (who they are not)

* They are not cherubim and seraphim because they are distinguished from the 24 elders (Revelation 4:4, 10)
* They are not part of the angelic hosts because they are distinguished from them (5:12) and they are in heaven before the angelic hosts arrive (Revelation 4)
* They are not members of the unnumbered host of the redeemed because one of the elders asks John who the great multitude from every nation, kindred, people and tongue is (Revelation 7:13) Significantly the elders sing about the redeemed “from every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation” (Revelation 5:9) and in Revelation 7 one of the elders is asked about the identity of those who belong to all nations, and kindreds, and people and tongues.” (Revelation 7:9)

* They are not part of the 144,000 because they 144,000 are distinguished from them (Revelation 14:3)
* They are not those who resurrect in the special resurrection (Daniel 12:2) because they were in heaven when Jesus ascended (Revelation 4)
* They are not those who will resurrect in the general resurrection because they were in heaven when Jesus ascended (I Thessalonians 4:15-17)
* They are not those who resurrected with Jesus because the twenty-four elders were already there before Jesus arrived (Revelation 4)
* So they are not angelic and they are not human. They must be some other order of being.

The timing of Revelation 4 and 5
1.Revelation 4 shows the throne room of God BEFORE Jesus returns from earth after His crucifixion

2.Revelation 5 shows the Father with the scroll with seven seals. This is seen as the title deed to earth.

&#9702; An interesting Old Testament parallel is in 2 Kings 11 where Athaliah murdered the kings sons and usurped the throne for six years. (Note that Satan murdered the King's sons and ruled earth for 6000 years). In the seventh year (verse 4) the high priest manoeuvres to get the baby son who was hidden (Satan tried to kill Jesus as a baby but He was hidden) to be crowned as king. Here is the record:

&#9702;And he brought out the king's son, put the crown on him, and gave him the Testimony; they made him king and anointed him, and they clapped their hands and said, “Long live the king!” (2 Kings 11:12)

&#9702;Note that he was given the testimony as required.
&#9632;Deuteronomy 17:14 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me;
&#9632;Deuteronomy 17:18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:

3.Revelation 5 shows that initially no one was worthy to take the scroll - the title deed to earth. Then later Jesus, the Lamb that was slain, was shown to be worthy. Then He came and took the scroll and began to open the seals. The first seal showed the victorious years of the apostolic age.

4.Revelation 4 is thus before the ascension of Jesus (and at His anointing in Heaven as High Priest the anointing oil was so plentiful it fell down all the way to the disciples [who were in one accord - harmony] at Pentecost. Psalms 133:1-3 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.)

5.The 24 elders were waiting on Jesus with the 4 living creatures (beasts) who are seraphim, for they have six wings. With the Father, this is the heavenly council.

6.KJV, NKJV had problem with translation of Revelation 5:8-10 (us, we)
&#9702;KJV: Revelation 5:8-10 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

&#9702;This mistranslation is corrected in reputable modern versions:

Revelation 5:9-10 (New International Version)
“And they sang a new song: "You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation. You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth."”

Revelation 5:9-10 (New American Standard)
“And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation. "You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth."”

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/29/13 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
So it seems clear that the 24 elders are angels.
Whether the 24 elders has been refuted is one thing. But another is the sons of God in Job. Have sons of God ever been used to refer to angels?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/29/13 09:47 PM

I think the term "sons of God" could be applied to any of God's intelligent creatures, but, in fact, I haven't yet seen the term applied to the inhabitants of other worlds. According to the Hebrew parallelism, it would be natural to interpret "morning stars" and "sons of God" as synonyms, and "star" is a symbol used to describe angels in other biblical passages.

EGW says the angels are sons of God (ST, May 30, 1895 par. 3).

Specifically about Job 38:7, she says:

Before the creation of man, angels were in existence; for when the foundations of the earth were laid, “the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy.” Job 38:7. {TA 9.2}

Angelic agencies, though invisible, are cooperating with visible human agencies, forming a relief association with men. ... The very angels who shouted for joy over the creation of our world and over the creation of our first parents to inhabit the earth, ... these very heavenly messengers are most intensely interested to work in union with the fallen, redeemed race for the salvation of human beings perishing in their sins. {HP 102.3}

At the creation, when the foundations of the earth were laid, the sons of God looked with admiration upon the work of the Creator, and all the heavenly host shouted for joy. It was then that the foundation of the Sabbath was laid. {EW 217.2}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/29/13 11:45 PM

So it seems clear that the 24 elders are angels.
Whether the 24 elders has been refuted is one thing. But another is the sons of God in Job. Have sons of God ever been used to refer to angels?

I think this is a very valid question which I am not able to define yet. It seems like a problem that Ellen White uses the term "angel" where it appears like John uses the term "elder".

The fundamentalist understanding of inspiration which believes that God dictates the very words that the prophet writes down requires a definition like what Stephen Bohr presents.

This is not fully in agreement with the definition of Ellen White herself on inspiration. She makes it clear that it is not the words that are inspired, but the prophet who makes use of whatever words in his/her vocabulary to describe the message given by God.

Does this complicate things for us?

Was EGW using the term "angel" in the meaning "messenger" when she used that term here?

On several occasions when she saw heavenly things in vision she had an angelic guide to describe things for her. Is this what she is referring to here? Does she have her guide, who was an angel in mind?

It seems to me that Stephen Bohr should have followed the explicit words of Ellen White not to jump to a private interpretation of his own without consulting with other seasoned Bible students. But he seems to count on the power of TV and a private financial backing to support his salesmanship of new ideas.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/30/13 07:26 AM

That the 24 elders are angels is NOT stephen Bohr's original conclusion. Like I mentioned in my post on the page before this one -- HE CHANGED his webpage.

This is what he taught before:

1.The morning stars and sons of God existed BEFORE creation. See Job 38:4-7

It is the stars that are angels Rev.12:4,9 (Satan take 1/3 of the stars defined as angels)

The sons of God are kings of their planets - worlds Job 1:6-7

From these verses we know that the sons of God
--1.Do not always live where God is (they had to come)
--2.Satan came along with them showing he is their peer or contemporary
--3.Satan came representing planet earth (implying the sons of God represent other planets)

2.Satan was among the sons of God because he believed the earth was given to him (Luke 4:5-6)
When Adam obeyed Satan, Satan became his master and Adam his slave (Romans 6:16)

3.The universe is ruled by a council. , Daniel 7:9-10; Revelation 4:1-7 (use NKJV)

4.Adam is an original son of God (Luke 3:38, Patriarchs & Prophets page 45)

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/30/13 07:48 AM

Adam sold out his position as the "son of God" at the head of the human race. (Luke 3:38)
1 Cor. 15:21-22

But Christ came to reclaim that inheritance -- and now Christ stands at the head of the human race, and through HIM the human race (those Who accept Christ as their head) will see the earth once more restored.
Christ, in human flesh, passed over the ground victorious, where Adam fell.

Here was what was involved in Adam’s disobedience and what the obedience of the Son of God means to us.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/30/13 09:48 PM

I think the term "sons of God" could be applied to any of God's intelligent creatures, but, in fact, I haven't yet seen the term applied to the inhabitants of other worlds. According to the Hebrew parallelism, it would be natural to interpret "morning stars" and "sons of God" as synonyms, and "star" is a symbol used to describe angels in other biblical passages.

EGW says the angels are sons of God (ST, May 30, 1895 par. 3).
Originally Posted By: ST, May 30, 1895 par. 3
There is but one way of escape for the sinner. There is but one agency whereby he may be cleansed from sin. He must accept the propitiation that has been made by the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world. The shed blood of Christ cleanseth us from all sin. "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." "Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins." A complete offering has been made; for "God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son,"-- not a son by creation, as were the angels, nor a son by adoption, as is the forgiven sinner, but a Son begotten in the express image of the Father's person, and in all the brightness of his majesty and glory, one equal with God in authority, dignity, and divine perfection. In him dwelt all the fullness of the Godhead bodily. {ST, May 30, 1895 par. 3}
You're going to have to help me there....

Quote:

Specifically about Job 38:7, she says:

Before the creation of man, angels were in existence; for when the foundations of the earth were laid, “the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy.” Job 38:7. {TA 9.2}

Angelic agencies, though invisible, are cooperating with visible human agencies, forming a relief association with men. ... The very angels who shouted for joy over the creation of our world and over the creation of our first parents to inhabit the earth, ... these very heavenly messengers are most intensely interested to work in union with the fallen, redeemed race for the salvation of human beings perishing in their sins. {HP 102.3}
That sounds like a reasonable conclusion. However, this would rely on the assumption that the morning stars ONLY sang together and all the sons of God ONLY shouted for joy. Can sons of God include both angels and other worlds?

Quote:

At the creation, when the foundations of the earth were laid, the sons of God looked with admiration upon the work of the Creator, and all the heavenly host shouted for joy. It was then that the foundation of the Sabbath was laid. {EW 217.2}
Ok, how does that tell you anything about who they are? Can heavenly host include more than angels? I think so.

But:
Quote:
Those who accept him as their Saviour, their Redeemer, the Prince of Life, he acknowledges before the heavenly host, before the worlds unfallen, and before the fallen world, as his peculiar treasure. {GCB, April 1, 1899 par. 5}

Yet again other worlds are watching:
Quote:
The angels and the holy inhabitants of other worlds watch with intense interest the events taking place on this earth. Now as the close of the great controversy between Christ and Satan draws near, the heavenly host behold men trampling upon the law of Jehovah, making void the memorial of God,--the sign between Him and His commandment-keeping people,--setting it aside as a thing of naught, something to be despised, while the rival sabbath is exalted. They see men claiming to be Christians, calling upon the world to observe this spurious sabbath that they have made. {ST, February 22, 1910 par. 3}

Quote:
The Sabbath was instituted in Eden before the fall, and was observed by Adam and Eve, and all the heavenly host. God rested on the seventh day, and blessed and hallowed it. I saw that the Sabbath never will be done away; but that the redeemed saints, and all the angelic host, will observe it in honor of the great Creator to all eternity. {EW 217.2}
If we go with exclusive, then would this mean other worlds do not and will not observe the Sabbath?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/30/13 09:53 PM

I've found a passage in which EGW refers to the "sons of God" of Job 1 as angels:

The Scriptures declare that upon one occasion, when the angels of God came to present themselves before the Lord, Satan came also among them (Job 1:6), not to bow before the Eternal King, but to further his own malicious designs against the righteous. With the same object he is in attendance when men assemble for the worship of God. {DD 5.4}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/30/13 11:51 PM

I may be missing something, but I read in my Bible that the 24 elders state that they will reign as priests and kings on Earth. Rev.5:10.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/31/13 12:15 AM

Where in this picture is the Archangel Michael?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/31/13 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Harold Fair
I may be missing something, but I read in my Bible that the 24 elders state that they will reign as priests and kings on Earth. Rev.5:10.

Not unimportant, Harold.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/31/13 12:24 AM

I do not see it very likely that creatures from unfallen worlds will be made kings and priests on this world made new.

It is important to read the whole text.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/31/13 01:20 AM

SDABC on Rev. 5:10:

Quote:
10. Us. Textual evidence attests (cf. p. 10) the reading “them,” with reference to the redeemed of v. 9. The reading “us” was probably taken by the KJV translators from the Latin Vulgate. It is thus evident that in v. 10 the ones speaking do not specifically include themselves as “kings and priests.” It is not impossible, however, that they may be speaking of themselves in the third person, but this is not the natural conclusion to which the reading of the ancient manuscripts points. According to the preferred reading vs. 9, 10 may be translated as follows: “Thou art worthy to take the book and to open its seals, because thou wast slain and didst purchase to God by thy blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, and didst make them to our God a kingdom and priests, and they shall reign upon the earth” (see below under “kings” and “we shall reign”). The kingdom is doubtless the spiritual kingdom of grace (see on Matt. 4:17; 5:3; Rev. 1:6).

Kings. Textual evidence favors (cf. p. 10) the reading “a kingdom” (see on ch. 1:6).

We shall reign. Textual evidence attests (cf. p. 10) the reading “they shall reign” (see above under “us”).

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/31/13 02:22 AM

Thank you Rosangela! This is another indication that with the KJV we might be on shaky ground. Another explanation why the young King James ordered his Bible translators not to let the wording of the new translation contradict the present doctrines of the Church of England.

Do we still have the freedom to accept one rendering or the other?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/31/13 05:41 PM

I've found a passage in which EGW refers to the "sons of God" of Job 1 as angels:

The Scriptures declare that upon one occasion, when the angels of God came to present themselves before the Lord, Satan came also among them (Job 1:6), not to bow before the Eternal King, but to further his own malicious designs against the righteous. With the same object he is in attendance when men assemble for the worship of God. {DD 5.4}
So, can we infer that the angels, at least some of them, are required to present themselves before the Lord and are not always before the Lord? From reading Job, it appears that the sons of God only periodically present themselves before God. Kind of in a council meeting. If this means ALL the angels, it appears to be a problem. They aren't around God most of the time. If this means SOME of the angels, then why some? Are these some over the other worlds?

Is there anything that other created non-angel beings could be referred to as angels? Ellen White refers to the unfallen. But could she also include them with angels?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/31/13 06:42 PM

Michael the Arch angel is Jesus Christ Himself

Your thought in this area, kland, appeal to me.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 01/31/13 08:53 PM

Quote:
So, can we infer that the angels, at least some of them, are required to present themselves before the Lord and are not always before the Lord?

Since angels aren't omnipresent, the angels who work on earth can't be continually before the Lord - they certainly are in constant communication with God, but must present themselves before Him at intervals.

Quote:
Is there anything that other created non-angel beings could be referred to as angels? Ellen White refers to the unfallen. But could she also include them with angels?

Well, the most natural way to understand "angels" is as "angels." I find it improbable that the inhabitants of other worlds would be referred to as "angels," but I will not take a radical position on this.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/01/13 05:06 PM

I find it improbable that the inhabitants of other worlds would be referred to as "angels," but I will not take a radical position on this.

I share your thoughts

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/01/13 05:19 PM

Uriah Smith tells us who he thinks the 24 elders are:
Quote:
The Four and Twenty Elders.-- Who are these beings who surround the throne of glory? It will be observed that they are clothed in white raiment and have on their heads crowns of gold, which are tokens of both a conflict completed and a victory gained. From this we conclude that they were once participants in the Christian warfare, they once trod the earthly way with all saints; but they have been overcomers, and in advance of the great multitude of the redeemed, are wearing their victor crowns in the heavenly world. Indeed, they plainly tell us this in the song of praise which they ascribe to the Lamb: "They sung a new song, saying, Thou are worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for Thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by Thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation." Rev_5:9. This song is sung before any of the events in the prophecy of the seven seals take place; for it is sung to set forth the worthiness of the Lamb to take the book and to open the seals, on the ground of what He had already accomplished--their redemption. It is not therefore thrown in here by anticipation, having its application in the future, but it expresses an absolute and finished fact in the history of those who sang it. These, then, were a class of redeemed persons--redeemed from this earth, redeemed as all others must be redeemed, by the precious blood of Christ.

Do we in any other place read of such a class of redeemed ones? We think Paul refers to the same company when he writes to the Ephesians thus: "Wherefore He saith, When He [Christ] ascended up on high, He led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men." The marginal reading is He led a "multitude of captives." Eph_4:8. Going back to the events that occurred in connection with the crucifixion and the resurrection of Christ, we read: "The graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, and came out of the graves after His resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many." Mat_27:52-53. Thus the answer to our question comes unmistakably from the sacred page. These are some of those who came out of their graves at the resurrection of Christ, and who were numbered with the illustrious multitude which Jesus led up from the captivity of Death's dark domain when He ascended in triumph on high. Matthew records their resurrection, Paul their ascension, and John beholds them in heaven, performing the sacred duties which they were raised up to accomplish.

In this view we are not alone. John Wesley spoke as follows concerning the four and twenty elders: " 'Clothed in white raiment'--This and their golden crowns show that they had already finished their course, and taken their places among the citizens of heaven. They are never termed souls, and hence it is probable that they had glorified bodies already. Compare Mat_27:52." [1]

Particular attention must be given to the fact that the four and twenty elders are said to be seated on thrones. Our translation reads "seats;" but the Greek is {GREEK CHARACTERS IN PRINTED TEXT}, thronoi, thrones, the same word as is used three times in verses 2 and 3 and once in verse 4 immediately preceding. Thus the Revised Version reads "Round about the throne were four and twenty thrones, and upon the thrones I saw four and twenty elders sitting." Consequently this passage throws light on the expressions found in Dan_7:9, "I beheld till the thrones were cast down." These are the same thrones, and as has been shown in comments upon that passage, the meaning is not that the thrones were overturned, or cast down, in the ordinary sense of that expression, but placed, or set. The figure is taken from the Eastern custom of placing mats or divans for distinguished guests to sit upon. These four and twenty elders (see comments on Revelation 5) are evidently assistants of Christ in His mediatorial work in the sanctuary on high. When the judgment scene described in Dan_7:9 began in the most holy place, their thrones were placed there, according to the testimony of that passage.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/01/13 05:36 PM

Without claiming that Uriah Smith was infallible, this is the view most Seventh-day Adventists have held in the past. I have still not discovered any reason why he was wrong in his understanding of the 24 elders.

I am still so old fashioned in my opinions that I do not accept such modern and liberal notions, neither about the 24 elders nor the male headship, as proclaimed by such youngsters among televangelists as Stephen Bohr nor others who think they have greater wisdom.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/01/13 08:28 PM

I see two problems with Smith's view: 1)the fact that it relies on the KJV rendering of Rev. 5:10, and 2) the fact that EGW refers to the 24 elders as "angels." But fortunately the identity of the 24 elders has no bearing on our salvation.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/01/13 09:18 PM

I see two problems with your problems: 1) Such a rigid stand against the KJV rendering should require of you to take a similar stand against the KJV wording which is used against the ordination of of women, and 2)You have already stated that you find it "improbable that the inhabitants of other worlds would be referred to as "angels,""

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/01/13 11:17 PM

But Pastor Johann, it's not a "rigid stand;" it's just that, as the SDABC states, the KJV rendering of verses 9, 10 was probably based on the Latin Vulgate, as I had quoted previously, not on the Gr. manuscripts:

Quote:
Textual evidence attests (cf. p. 10) the reading “them,” with reference to the redeemed of v. 9. The reading “us” was probably taken by the KJV translators from the Latin Vulgate. It is thus evident that in v. 10 the ones speaking do not specifically include themselves as “kings and priests.”

And, if I find it improbable that the inhabitants of other worlds would be referred to as "angels," I find it still more improbable that human beings would be referred to as "angels" (once Smith's view is that the 24 elders are human beings, probably those resurrected with Christ).

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/01/13 11:21 PM

As we near the close of this world’s history, the prophecies relating to the last days especially demand our study. The last book of the New Testament scriptures is full of truth that we need to understand. Satan has blinded the minds of many, so that they have been glad of any excuse for not making the Revelation their study. But Christ through His servant John has here declared what shall be in the last days, and He says, “Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein.” Revelation 1:3.
“This is life eternal,” Christ said, “that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent.” John 17:3. Why is it that we do not realize the value of this knowledge? Why are not these glorious truths glowing in our hearts, trembling upon our lips, and pervading our whole being? – Christ´s Object Lessons p. 133

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/01/13 11:30 PM

Angelos is a messenger. Does God use both human and divine messengers?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/02/13 04:31 AM

Rev. 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

Rev. 14:8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen,

Rev. 14:9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice

Who are those angels?

It seems the word "angel" can be used either for the angelic host in heaven, or for anyone carrying a message to other.

In this verse -- is the "angel" refering to a human prophet?

Joshua 2:1 And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers;

There are places where the term angel is even used for God!

speaking of Moses:
Exodus 3:2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush... 3:4 God called unto him out of the midst of the bush

speaking of Jacob
Gen. 31:11 And the angel of God spake unto me in a dream, [saying], Jacob: ...1:13 I am the God

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/02/13 05:15 AM

Thank you, Dedication!

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/03/13 01:32 AM

Well, we do not all see eye to eye. As I see it, one thing is the use of aggelos or malach in the Bible with the meaning of "messenger" (for these words do mean "messenger" in their original language, not always referring to the creatures we know today as "angels"); another thing would be the use of "angel," an English word, to refer to human beings. I've never seen this use of the term by Ellen White.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/03/13 02:07 AM

The words of a human "angel"?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/03/13 03:55 AM

Or of a human messenger? smile

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/03/13 08:54 AM

It just doesn't seem right to think of the 24 elders as angels. That is a relative new idea.

Mostly people think of them as a special group of resurrected men taken to heaven to serve as a heavenly "jury" (a jury of our peers)or representing the 24 courses of priests in the earthly temple, or representing the 12 tribes (OT) and the 12 apostles (NT) --the two witnesses. Though the last is doubtful as the apostles were still alive on earth at Jesus ascension.

"And round about the throne [were] four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold. Four [and] twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders"

The bible lists the elders as a distinct group apart from the "many angels".

They seem to be Priests -- with censors and incense.

"Elders" in scripture are general leaders in the church or "at the gate". The phrase "chief priests and elders" occurs often in the NT.
Elder -- means older.
Angels don't grow old. So it seems strange to have elder angels.

The fact that they sit on thrones indicates that they reign with Christ. It is to humans that the scripture makes the promise that they will reign with Christ.

So now we see the 24 elders being priests and kings.

So when they say:

5:11 Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

They do seem to be talking about themselves, and if so they are also redeemed by the blood of the Lamb.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/03/13 09:43 AM

NOV. 26, 1861
The Review and Herald had this article:

QUESTION. Can you tell who the four and twenty
elders are, spoken of in Bev. iv, 10 ? I. B. H.

ANSWER. These elders are brought to view in chap, v, in a manner which, I think, throws some light on the question as to who they are. This chapter gives a record of the events that introduced the opening of the seven seals; and the part which these elders acted in those scenes, settles some important facts concerning them.

By the seven seals, the same as by the seven trumpets, is undoubtedly brought to view a series of events, transpiring in consecutive order, and covering the whole gospel dispensation. The first of these seals, according to general interpretation, was opened, and the events brought to view under it, transpired, near the commencement of this dispensation.

"With this fact vividly in mind, that the opening of the first of these seals is far in the past, let it be noticed that it is before the opening of any of the seals that these elders are seen acting a part in heaven. When the challenge was issued through heaven and earth [verse
2], "Who is worthy to open the book and to loose the seals thereof? and while John was weeping much because no one was found worthy to open and read the book [verse 4], one of the elders said unto him, ""Weep not: behold the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Boot of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof."

Again, when the Lamb had taken the book from the hand of Him that sat on the throne, previous to his opening the seals thereof, the elders break forth into a new song, saying, " Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals there- of; for thou wast slain and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and
people, and nation." Verses 8, 9.

This testimony
shows unmistakably that those elders were in heaven, personally acting their part previous to the opening of any of the seals. The expression, " Thou wast slain," locates the time of this song subsequent to the crucifixion of Christ; it was sung therefore at some point between that event and the opening of the first seal. The transaction which called forth this song of honor to the Lamb, was his taking the book preparatory to opening its seven seals. The events of these seals all transpire previous to the redemption of the church. The church therefore will never sing such a song as this. They will never ascribe honor to him because he is worthy to do (an expression which looks into the future) something which already had been done and finished more than eighteen centuries previous to that time.

The conclusion is therefore unavoidable that these elders are not introduced here merely as representatives of other persons, representing the church, for instance, and singing the song which the redeemed will sing ; but that they were literally and personally present in heaven, at the time when brought to view, that the song they sung, was called forth by their own personal feelings on that occasion, and that the facts they state were true of themselves individually and then. And what was one of the facts which they stated ? It was this : " Thou hast redeemed us to God by thy blood." The twenty- four elders were therefore some who had been redeem-
ed from.the earth at that time.

Thus far the conclusions arrived at seem to be necessary and scriptural. The twenty-four elders are persons who have at some time been redeemed from the earth. Perhaps this is a sufficient answer.

But there are two other queries that may arise on this subject, which can be readily answered by at least plau-
sible conjecture,
i. Where have we any intimation that any persons have ever been redeemed from the earth; and
2. If these are twenty-four persons who have been so redeemed how can they say that they were redeemed from every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation ?

In reference to the first of these queries it may be said that there is more than an intimation that a number of saints have already been redeemed. It is said that at the resurrection of Christ many of the saints that slept arose and came out of their graves. Matt.xxvii,50-53. And when he ascended up on high we are told that he led captivity captive, or as the margin reads, a multitude of captives. To identify the twenty-four elders with a portion of this company is the most natural and probable disposition of the matter. {November 26, 1861 UrSe, ARSH 204.12}

In reference to the second query, these persons may have been selected from different ages since the creation of the world, those most eminent in piety and the service of God being taken from each age. In this way they could be said to be redeemed out of every kindred, people, and nation. It may be proper to add that this exposition of the twenty-four elders is an individual opinion, for which the writer holds no one responsible but himself. {November 26, 1861 UrSe, ARSH 204.13}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/03/13 08:19 PM

Quote:
It just doesn't seem right to think of the 24 elders as angels. That is a relative new idea.

But Dedication, it's EGW who refers to them as angels. So the idea isn't in fact new, although it may be new for almost all of us who hadn't noticed these passages before.

Quote:

Rev. 8:3-5 shows an angel with a censer and incense.

Quote:

But do human beings in heaven grow old? I think the term refers more to a position than to age.

Quote:
The fact that they sit on thrones indicates that they reign with Christ.

I don't think this must necessarily be the case. They might have been assigned to help Christ in a special work, like His mediation and the IJ.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/04/13 01:02 AM

Are we still testing the claims of Stephen Bohr? Compare them with these statements of EGW:

Quote:
The Saviour was presented to John under the symbols of the “Lion of the tribe of Juda,” and “a Lamb as it had been slain.” Here the whole work of redemption was expressed. These symbols represent the union of omnipotent power and self-sacrificing love. As the Lion of Judah, Christ will defend His chosen ones and bring them off victorious, because they accepted Him as “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” Christ the slain Lamb—who was despised, rejected, the victim of Satan’s wrath, of human abuse and cruelty—how tender was His sympathy with His people who were in the world! And according to the infinite depths of His humiliation and sacrifice as the Lamb of God will be His power in glory as the Lion of Judah, for the deliverance of His people. {CTr 315.2}
To John were opened the great events of the future that were to shake the thrones of kings and cause all earthly powers to tremble. He beheld the close of all earthly scenes, the ushering in of His reign who is to be King of kings, and whose kingdom shall endure forever.... He saw Christ receiving the adoration of all the hosts of heaven and heard the promise that whatever tribulation might come upon God’s people, if they would but patiently endure they should be more than conquerors through Him that loved them.... {CTr 315.3}
John was now prepared to witness the thrilling scenes in the great conflict between those who keep the commandments of God and those who make void His law. He saw the wonder-working power arise that was to deceive all who should dwell upon the earth who were not connected with God, “saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.”... {CTr 315.4}

Here EGW is referring to Christ as portrayed in Rev. 5, and she makes it clear that John is watching a vision of what is going to take place in the future. Revelation was written many years after the ascension on Jesus, and yet i understand Stephen Bohr claiming that none of the 24 elders could be among those resurrected with Christ because none of them had arrived in heaven by the time Rev 5 took place.

If Rev 5 is referring to a future event before the Second advent, don't we also have mentioned the 3 angels in that connection. And who are they?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/04/13 01:21 AM

SDABC on Rev. 5:10:

Quote:
10. Us. Textual evidence attests (cf. p. 10) the reading “them,” with reference to the redeemed of v. 9. The reading “us” was probably taken by the KJV translators from the Latin Vulgate. It is thus evident that in v. 10 the ones speaking do not specifically include themselves as “kings and priests.” It is not impossible, however, that they may be speaking of themselves in the third person, but this is not the natural conclusion to which the reading of the ancient manuscripts points. According to the preferred reading vs. 9, 10 may be translated as follows: “Thou art worthy to take the book and to open its seals, because thou wast slain and didst purchase to God by thy blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, and didst make them to our God a kingdom and priests, and they shall reign upon the earth” (see below under “kings” and “we shall reign”). The kingdom is doubtless the spiritual kingdom of grace (see on Matt. 4:17; 5:3; Rev. 1:6).

Kings. Textual evidence favors (cf. p. 10) the reading “a kingdom” (see on ch. 1:6).

We shall reign. Textual evidence attests (cf. p. 10) the reading “they shall reign” (see above under “us”).

Ellen White: " Christ is soon to come the second time. Of this we should often talk. It should be the uppermost thought in our minds. He is coming, with power and great glory, and every eye shall see Him. All the holy angels will accompany Him. Of this company John writes, “I beheld, and heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beast and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands” (Revelation 5:11). {OFC 278.2}
The trumpet has not yet sounded. Those who have gone down into the grave have not yet cried, “O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?” (1 Corinthians 15:55). The righteous dead have not yet been caught up with the living saints to meet their Lord in the air. But the time is near when the words spoken by the apostle Paul will have their fulfillment, “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord” (1 Thessalonians 4:16-18). {OFC 278.3}
In order for us to be like the Saviour, we must be changed "

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/04/13 01:30 AM

Our period of toil, my brother, my sister, will soon be at an end. We shall see Jesus, and be made like Him. “And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they? And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple: and He that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them. And they shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of water: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes” [Revelation 7:13-17]. We shall surely see and realize all these blessings. Trust in the Lord and He will strengthen thy faith.—Letter 16, 1896. (Written from Ashfield, N.S.W., November 17, 1896, to Brother and Sister Cady.) {12MR 305.3}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/04/13 01:40 AM

This roll was written within and without. John says: “I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.” The vision as presented to John made its impression upon his mind. The destiny of every nation was contained in that book. John was distressed at the utter inability of any human being or angelic intelligence to read the words, or even to look thereon. His soul was wrought up to such a point of agony and suspense that one of the strong angels had compassion on him, and laying his hand on him assuringly said, “Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.” {20MR 197.3}
John continues: “I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. And He came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.” As the book was unrolled, all who looked upon it were filled with awe. There were no blanks in the book. There was space for no more writing. [Revelation 5:8-14; 6:8, quoted.] {20MR 197.4}

Is there anything that prevents us from understanding that it was both an angel and one of the elders who comforted John with the same words?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/05/13 12:17 AM

Considering that John wept much he must have been extremely discouraged. Is it any wonder then that an angel came to him and repeated the greatly encouraging words that had been uttered by an elder?

How important is it for us to destroy the confidence in the conclusion our pioneers came to in this matter?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/05/13 01:32 AM

Pastor Johann, I have the utmost respect and admiration for men like you, who have dedicated their whole lives to the service of God. But, as I said, we do not all see eye to eye, so please forgive me if I at some moment disagree with something you say. Having worked for some time at a White Estate branch, and having verified the differing views of our pioneers and of Ellen White on some subjects, my view is that, when what they say differs from what she says, I stay with what she says.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/05/13 01:40 AM

Michael the Arch angel is Jesus Christ Himself

Your thought in this area, kland, appeal to me.

Well, it does throw some issues Rosangela's way....

Angels are created beings.
Christ is an Arch angel.
Therefore, Christ must be a created being.

And there is still the issue I did not see she addressed by the exclusive implication:
Quote:
The Sabbath was instituted in Eden before the fall, and was observed by Adam and Eve, and all the heavenly host. God rested on the seventh day, and blessed and hallowed it. I saw that the Sabbath never will be done away; but that the redeemed saints, and all the angelic host, will observe it in honor of the great Creator to all eternity. {EW 217.2}
then would this mean other worlds do not and will not observe the Sabbath?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/05/13 01:50 AM

Quote:

Christ is an Arch angel.

I'm not following you, kland. In the Bible, both in the OT and in the NT, the meaning of the word translated as "angel" is "messenger." So Jesus Christ is the Chief Messenger. Why does He have to be a created being?

Quote:
And there is still the issue I did not see she addressed by the exclusive implication: [EW 217.2 quoted] then would this mean other worlds do not and will not observe the Sabbath?

No, it means that Ellen White is not referring to them in this passage. You remind me of the antitrinitarians who quote GC 493, where EGW says that Christ was "the only being in all the universe that could enter into all the counsels and purposes of God," and say that the Holy Spirit couldn't enter into the counsels of God. She simply is not referring to Him in this passage.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/05/13 01:56 AM

Pastor Johann, I have the utmost respect and admiration for men like you, who have dedicated their whole lives to the service of God. But, as I said, we do not all see eye to eye, so please forgive me if I at some moment disagree with something you say. Having worked for some time at a White Estate branch, and having verified the differing views of our pioneers and of Ellen White on some subjects, my view is that, when what they say diffes from what she says, I stay with what she says.

And so do I, in case you missed it.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/05/13 07:30 AM

Christ is an Arch angel.

I'm not following you, kland. In the Bible, both in the OT and in the NT, the meaning of the word translated as "angel" is "messenger." So Jesus Christ is the Chief Messenger. Why does He have to be a created being?

Christ is not a created being.
He is the Divine commander of the angelic hosts.
Yes, He is the chief Messenger, the Word, TO all the created intelligent beings.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God," John 1:1

But now --
wasn't the elder that spoke to John also a messenger?

Kland's rather "tongue in check" comments stirs the thought that --
Christ is called an Archangel, but He is NOT one of created heavenly angels.
The elder is called a strong angel -- a strong messenger? or one of the heavenly angels?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/05/13 08:41 AM

"When Jesus, as he hung upon the cross, cried out, It is finished, the rocks rent, the earth shook, and some of the graves where shaken open; for when Jesus arose from the dead,... many of the righteous dead came forth as witnesses that he had risen. Those favored, resurrected saints came forth glorified. They were a few chosen and holy ones who had lived in every age from creation, even down to the days of Christ.
" Those who were resurrected were of different stature and form....Some of those raised were more noble in appearance and form than others. I was informed that those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength." {Spiritual Gifts Vol. 1 pages 69-70}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/05/13 10:54 AM

"When Jesus, as he hung upon the cross, cried out, It is finished, the rocks rent, the earth shook, and some of the graves where shaken open; for when Jesus arose from the dead,... many of the righteous dead came forth as witnesses that he had risen. Those favored, resurrected saints came forth glorified. They were a few chosen and holy ones who had lived in every age from creation, even down to the days of Christ.
" Those who were resurrected were of different stature and form....Some of those raised were more noble in appearance and form than others. I was informed that those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength." {Spiritual Gifts Vol. 1 pages 69-70}

Any wonder that Ellen White could call that elder an engel?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/05/13 05:38 PM

Can we therefore safely discard those novel ideas of Stephen Bohr?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/06/13 07:44 PM

Kland's rather "tongue in check" comments stirs the thought that --
Christ is called an Archangel, but He is NOT one of created heavenly angels.
The elder is called a strong angel -- a strong messenger? or one of the heavenly angels?
That's exactly what I was saying. I didn't think it was unclear, but I guess it was to some.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/06/13 07:45 PM

Are these two comments not in opposition?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/06/13 09:12 PM

In my estimation they support each other. You may have missed the point where EGW stated that some of the elders who had lived on earth at the time of the patriarchs had the appearance like angels.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/07/13 04:09 AM

It's possible that Stephen Bohr is discarding those ideas himself evidenced by making his video at YouTube private.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/08/13 06:44 PM

In my estimation they support each other. You may have missed the point where EGW stated that some of the elders who had lived on earth at the time of the patriarchs had the appearance like angels.
People can have the appearance like angels.
I thought Bohr was saying the elders were people of other planets.
What am I missing?
Posted By: Rick H

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/10/13 02:35 AM

Quote:

But Dedication, it's EGW who refers to them as angels. So the idea isn't in fact new, although it may be new for almost all of us who hadn't noticed these passages before.

Quote:

Rev. 8:3-5 shows an angel with a censer and incense.

Quote:

But do human beings in heaven grow old? I think the term refers more to a position than to age.

Quote:
The fact that they sit on thrones indicates that they reign with Christ.

I don't think this must necessarily be the case. They might have been assigned to help Christ in a special work, like His mediation and the IJ.

Rosangela, I have to say before we go too far, that we would have to look at what is on the original handwritten manuscript, because making the elders into 'strong angels', doesnt seem correct at any level. Ellen White had to constantly edit her assistants notes of what they wrote to make sure a mistake did not slip through. If this is taken from a 'raw' or unedited manuscript then we may have an answer to the issue.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/10/13 03:28 AM

What am I missing?

I think what many are missing is that Bohr was saying the elders were the first created people of unfallen planets.

My memory may be fuzzy, but those quotes about angels were not in his original study. They have been added later making the study a rather mixed up unclear presentation.

When I read his study a few years ago it was logical and clear, now it's full of contradictions.
Some of the old information is still there, but the new "angel" quotes are mixed in.

For example --
In one place he says: The 24 elders are powerful angels assigned by God to be representatives of worlds that never sinned.

Then he proves that Adam was the "son of God", the representative of this world.

then he writes:
The 24 elders are not cherubim nor seraphim because these two groups are distinguished from the 24 elders (Revelation 4:4, 10)
They are not part of the angelic hosts because the angelic hosts are clearly distinguished from them.

His whole presentation is now VERY confusing.
Is Adam an Angel?
From His study one could easily come to that conclusion that he was.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/10/13 05:18 PM

I think what many are missing is that Bohr was saying the elders were the first created people of unfallen planets.

Is seems safer to base one's views on something that is not confusing.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/11/13 02:12 PM

What am I missing?

My memory may be fuzzy, but those quotes about angels were not in his original study. They have been added later making the study a rather mixed up unclear presentation.

When I read his study a few years ago it was logical and clear, now it's full of contradictions.
Some of the old information is still there, but the new "angel" quotes are mixed in.

For example --
In one place he says: The 24 elders are powerful angels assigned by God to be representatives of worlds that never sinned.

Then he proves that Adam was the "son of God", the representative of this world.

then he writes:
The 24 elders are not cherubim nor seraphim because these two groups are distinguished from the 24 elders (Revelation 4:4, 10)
They are not part of the angelic hosts because the angelic hosts are clearly distinguished from them.

Is Adam an Angel?
From His study one could easily come to that conclusion that he was.
Now if 'Strong Angel' is a tranlastion for us in our glorified state after we are changed, that would solve all the issues, when I get a chance will check the Hebrew/Greek text unless someone has done it already.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/11/13 07:30 PM

What am I missing?

Is seems safer to base one's views on something that is not confusing.
I guess I fail to see how that is confusing to you.

How is that in conflict with what dedication said he said about elders being the first created people of unfallen planets?

Not confusing to me. dunno

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/11/13 07:32 PM

For example --
Maybe we can have actual statements and in context before we judge the guy?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/12/13 08:10 AM

I wasn't judging "the guy" I was commenting on his study.
And I gave some actual statements from the study that is now posted on his website.
The link has been posted before.
http://secretsunsealed.org/Downloads/24Eldersweb.pdf

I read his study on this subject about three years ago and we discussed it on another forum.
It was clear and logical then.
He was saying the "sons of God' were the heads of the unfallen worlds, like Adam was the head of this earth before his fall.
The conclusion was the 24 elders were these representatives from the unfallen worlds.

Not everyone agreed of course, but that is what we understood him to be saying.

I recognize many of the statements in what is posted now:

but those quotes about angel's, and that angels were delegated to be representatives of the unfallen worlds, I don't remember any of that in the original study.

It is those quotes which he has now put into the study that cause the confusion.
For now part of the study seems to be saying the 24 elders are angels, while the rest of the study is still saying it is the first created from unfallen worlds.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/12/13 08:19 AM

The only logical bridge I can see between these two ideas, is that created beings from unfallen worlds look very much like the angels.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/12/13 10:04 AM

Yes, 1a) of living beings is a definition of a 'Strong Angel' so can be a living being, so there is no problem with one of the 24 elders being a 'Strong Angel'.

Strong's #2478: ischuros (pronounced is-khoo-ros')

from 2479; forcible (literally or figuratively):--boisterous, mighty(-ier), powerful, strong(-er, man), valiant.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

&#787;&#769;

ischuros

1) strong, mighty

1a) of living beings

1a1) strong either in body or in mind

1a2) of one who has strength of soul to sustain the attacks of Satan, strong and therefore exhibiting many excellences

1b) on inanimate things

1b1) strong, violent, forcibly uttered, firm, sure

Part of Speech: adjective

Relation: from G2479

Citing in TDNT: 3:397, 378

Read more: http://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Lexicon.show/ID/G2478/ischuros.htm#ixzz2KfLhyXUN

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/12/13 08:54 PM

The only logical bridge I can see between these two ideas, is that created beings from unfallen worlds look very much like the angels.
That seems to be what was suggested by Johann's comment.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/13/13 12:00 AM

In reality I think this quotation by EGW is the key to understand this question.

" Those who were resurrected were of different stature and form....Some of those raised were more noble in appearance and form than others. I was informed that those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength."

With this in mind I see no reason why the 24 elders should not be those who were resurrected with Christ, and since some of them looked like angels, there is no discrepancy by EGW also using the term "angel" for the one who comforted John.

My conclusion is therefore still that at least some of the 24 elders were resurrected at the time of the resurrection of Christ.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/13/13 12:11 AM

I always thought the 24 Elders were the the resurrected/translated redeemed, which could include Enoch, Elijah, and Moses.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/13/13 12:59 AM

I always thought the 24 Elders were the the resurrected/translated redeemed, which could include Enoch, Elijah, and Moses.

This is also what I meant to say.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/13/13 01:12 AM

That's what Stephen Haskell and pretty much all the other Adventist pioneers taught. -- the 24 elders were from the group resurrected with Christ who ascended to heaven with Him.

Haskell wrote:

"The Levitical priesthood was divided into twenty-four courses. 3 Each course had its chief or governor of the sanctuary. 4 This continued down to the time of Christ. 6 When the Saviour ascended to heaven, He led a multitude of captives; and when John in vision was shown the first apartment of the heavenly sanctuary, with its seven lamps of fire burning before the throne of God, he saw four and twenty elders seated upon four and twenty seats, and they worshiped the Lamb, saying, "Thou . . . hast redeemed us to God by Thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; and hast made us unto our God kings and priests." In this we see the antitype of the twenty-four courses of priests. The chiefs, or elders, of each course have seats of honor, and they are kings and priests after the order of Melchizedek. The remainder of the multitude Christ took into heaven are not mentioned, but it is reasonable to suppose that they constitute the courses of which the four and twenty elders are the chiefs. {1914 SNH, CIS 80.1}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/13/13 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Rick H
Yes, 1a) of living beings is a definition of a 'Strong Angel' so can be a living being, so there is no problem with one of the 24 elders being a 'Strong Angel'.

Strong's #2478: ischuros (pronounced is-khoo-ros')

from 2479; forcible (literally or figuratively):--boisterous, mighty(-ier), powerful, strong(-er, man), valiant.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

&#787;&#769;

ischuros

1) strong, mighty

1a) of living beings

1a1) strong either in body or in mind

1a2) of one who has strength of soul to sustain the attacks of Satan, strong and therefore exhibiting many excellences

1b) on inanimate things

1b1) strong, violent, forcibly uttered, firm, sure

Part of Speech: adjective

Relation: from G2479

Citing in TDNT: 3:397, 378

Read more: http://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Lexicon.show/ID/G2478/ischuros.htm#ixzz2KfLhyXUN

Notice also, 1a2) of one who has strength of soul to sustain the attacks of Satan, strong and therefore exhibiting many excellences

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/13/13 05:29 PM

In reality I think this quotation by EGW is the key to understand this question.

" Those who were resurrected were of different stature and form....Some of those raised were more noble in appearance and form than others. I was informed that those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength."

With this in mind I see no reason why the 24 elders should not be those who were resurrected with Christ, and since some of them looked like angels, there is no discrepancy by EGW also using the term "angel" for the one who comforted John.

My conclusion is therefore still that at least some of the 24 elders were resurrected at the time of the resurrection of Christ.
I believe you made a conclusion not supported by the facts.

The statement we have is, "those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength."

Some of the righteous, who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham, happened to be resurrected when Jesus rose. The statement does not imply that the act of resurrection caused them to look more like the angels in form, but that they had lived in the days of Noah and Abraham.

There are other statements says that Adam was created just a little lower than the angels, and that at the second coming, differences are seen through the ages from Adam downwards to present day man. If Adam, and others during Noah and Abraham's day were created more like the angels in form, it would follow that others of the righteous unfallen worlds would also resemble angels in form.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/13/13 05:54 PM

I recognize many of the statements in what is posted now:

but those quotes about angel's, and that angels were delegated to be representatives of the unfallen worlds, I don't remember any of that in the original study.

It is those quotes which he has now put into the study that cause the confusion.
For now part of the study seems to be saying the 24 elders are angels, while the rest of the study is still saying it is the first created from unfallen worlds.

Thanks for the link. I concede it does appear that he just inserted the part about the angels while other parts seemed to oppose it. I kept waiting for him to tie it all together. I only got 13 pages so don't know if there's more. It seemed to suddenly end and I was left hanging. It comes across as someone pointed something out to him, he found a place to insert it, and never bothered fit it in with everything else. It kind of reminded me of the 1850 chart where someone said, oops, made a correction, but failed to ensure everything added up correctly.

But he did give one quote which was interesting from The Desire of Ages, pp. 833-835.

"There are cherubim and seraphim [Revelation 4:6-8]. The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds [Revelation 4:4], are assembled.
The angel host prostrate themselves before Him,"

So we have
cherubim and seraphim
angel hosts
sons of God
representatives of the unfallen worlds

But only the angel host prostrate themselves?

I'm thinking she may at times use angel hosts as a general term for those in heaven which would include cherubim and seraphim, sons of God, and representatives of the unfallen worlds.

"The heavenly council before which Lucifer had accused God and His Son, the representatives of those sinless realms over which Satan had thought to establish his dominion,--all are there to welcome the Redeemer. They are eager to celebrate His triumph and to glorify their King."

So who are the representatives of those sinless realms?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/13/13 07:30 PM

Do those who were resurrected with Jesus and went to heaven, along with Moses, Elijah, and Enoch, just disappear in the great throng?

Scripture does tell us of other worlds, but the theme throughout is the dealings of the Great Controversy and the connection between the Creator and his fallen created beings on this earth.

Our pioneers understood Rev. 5 as an event in connection with Jesus Christ as the Savior of this world, and who would be better witnesses than the elders who had lived on the earth and had been redeemed and taken to heaven as first fruits of the great atonement?

Of course the modern liberals have to change as much as possible of the understandings we have inherited from our pioneers, and if they can find an excuse for changing our old understanding by applying their understanding of what Ellen White says, then they manage to make their liberal interpretations sound orthodox and conservative.

Am I too old fashioned to stand by the Scriptural interpretation we were taught more than 50 years ago?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/14/13 04:17 PM

The statement we have is, "those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength."

Are you talking about something else?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/14/13 05:57 PM

To me that statement strengthens the view we have had through the pst century.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/15/13 06:15 PM

?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/17/13 08:59 AM

The reasoning goes thus:

The view of early Seventh-day Adventist writers concerning 24 elders was that they were among resurrected with Christ and were taken to heaven with Him at His ascension.

Since these resurrected ones included people who lived prior to Noah as well as in the time of Abraham these would be "more like the angels in form..."

So when EGW was SHOWN (visual vision) one of the elders explaining things to John, she discribed him as a "mighty angel" because that is what he looked like.
Posted By: jamesonofthunder

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/17/13 04:54 PM

By definition 'elder' means the the eldest patriarch in the Family in all the tribe who has the capacity to lead.

Who was our 'elder'? Adam was.

When Adam lost it Satan was permitted to come before God again and he proceeded to accuse the brethren.

Satan usurped the eldership of Adam so Jesus had to come rescue that position away from Satan becoming the second Adam.

Jesus is now our elder and this is our blessing.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/17/13 07:10 PM

The 24 elders before the throne are not from this world, they are the Adams of their universes. They never lost the right to access of the throne or tree of life so they have ever been before the throne since creation. When ever they were to meet before God they did not need an intercessor because they had not fallen. In fact each 'Elder' is the intercessor for their people bringing all the prayers of their tribes to the Father in truth and love.

Everything the high priest was responsible for in the temple are the duties of the Elder of each planet.

Jesus is our high priest before the throne for us now after he was resurrected victorious.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 01:55 AM

The unfallen Adams do not need redemption so that area of High priestly ministry is not a part of their duties nut the communication for their people. They present the prayers of their saints.

Revelation 5:8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people.

Just as the incense of the merits of Christ righteousness ascend to the Father by the hand of Jesus in the temple for us, so the Elders offer their peoples prayers directly through to the Father in the name of Jesus, their relationship unbroken.
Posted By: JAK

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 02:10 AM

If I may ask, where are these other universes located, and where does the Bible speak of them?

Also, if these 24 elders do not need an intercessor because they have never fallen, why do their people need an intercessor?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder

Everything the high priest was responsible for in the temple are the duties of the Elder of each planet.

The High Priest's duties and the temple process were instituted to deal with the sin problem. Why, if the people have not sinned, would they need an intercessor or priest, or an Elder who performs the duties of the priest?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 03:54 AM

The unfallen Adams do not need redemption so that area of High priestly ministry is not a part of their duties nut the communication for their people. They present the prayers of their saints.

Their saints, being unfallen, would communicate directly with God face to face. There would be no need for prayer. God is always there.

Just as the incense of the merits of Christ righteousness ascend to the Father by the hand of Jesus in the temple for us, so the Elders offer their peoples prayers directly through to the Father in the name of Jesus, their relationship unbroken.

Why would the prayers of unfallen people be offered through Jesus' name? Jesus came to earth for the salvation of humanity. What relation does he have to the inhabitants of other unfallen worlds?

Where are these other Universes located?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 07:14 PM

"the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people"

Like the Father of every family is the priest of their family so are the 24 Elders the elders of their race and they present the prayers of their people to the Father.

God created multiple Universes as a contingency plan to keep sin from contaminating or disrupting unfallen worlds. Why would God allow sinless beings to be put in the midst of Quasars, Pulsars, black holes, Nova and super Nova, Galaxies colliding and demons roaring? He created separate Universes to quarantine Evil from Good. The Garden of Eden is where all the universes come together so they can all eat from the tree of life.

The theory of multiple Universes is so accepted in the world of Physics I'm surprised you have not read about it.

The theory I am partial to is the "Bubble Universe" theory and I believe it is connected to the Wheel within a wheel vision of Ezekiel.

The center would be where the New Jerusalem is in my imagination

Taken from the website 'Space.com'....

"The universe we live in may not be the only one out there. In fact, our universe could be just one of an infinite number of universes making up a "multiverse."
Though the concept may stretch credulity, there's good physics behind it. And there's not just one way to get to a multiverse — numerous physics theories independently point to such a conclusion. In fact, some experts think the existence of hidden universes is more likely than not."

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 07:52 PM

JAK, you must remember, the connection between Adam and his race and God was severed. This means that before the Fall, Adam was in Christ, after the fall he was not.

Jesus is for every created being because He created them and they dwell in Him. So a prayer offered by an unfallen being is still in the name of Christ, it's just that Jesus does not need to interveign for the prayer to be heard.

But the structure of family is still vitally important.

Adam was our Grand Father. He lost his place before the throne So Jesus came and purchased our souls back. He not only presents our prayers He makes our prayers listenable to the Father in His righteousness through our acceptance.

The unfallen worlds never lost their connect with God so they present their own prayers through their chain of command directly to the Father.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 07:55 PM

The unfallen worlds pray for us!!!

"All the treasures of the universe will be open to the study of God’s redeemed. Unfettered by mortality, they wing their tireless flight to worlds afar—worlds that thrilled with sorrow at the spectacle of human woe and rang with songs of gladness at the tidings of a ransomed soul. With unutterable delight the children of earth enter into the joy and the wisdom of unfallen beings. They share the treasures of knowledge and understanding gained through ages upon ages in contemplation of God’s handiwork. With undimmed vision they gaze upon the glory of creation—suns and stars and systems, all in their appointed order circling the throne of Deity. Upon all things, from the least to the greatest, the Creator’s name is written, and in all are the riches of His power displayed. {DD 62.2}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 08:32 PM

"the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people"

Like the Father of every family is the priest of their family so are the 24 Elders the elders of their race and they present the prayers of their people to the Father.

You have not shown WHY unfallen beings need to pray, when they have direct and constant access to God.

God created multiple Universes as a contingency plan to keep sin from contaminating or disrupting unfallen worlds.

Citation needed.

He created separate Universes to quarantine Evil from Good. The Garden of Eden is where all the universes come together so they can all eat from the tree of life.

Citation needed.

The theory of multiple Universes is so accepted in the world of Physics I'm surprised you have not read about it.

How do you know I haven't. "The theory of evolution is so accepted in the world of Science I'm surprised you have not read about it." Acceptance does not make it true.

The theory I am partial to is the "Bubble Universe" theory and I believe it is connected to the Wheel within a wheel vision of Ezekiel.

Explanation and citation needed. Perhaps you want to start a new thread on this topic.

The center would be where the New Jerusalem is in my imagination

"...in my imagination" is the operative phrase here.

It is important to define just where these universes are and how they relate to our universe.

BTW, the theory of "dark matter" has absolutely no basis in science.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 09:53 PM

JAK,

If you have a question on things that I have claimed, do your own research. The bible doesn't say that a man sent with a message should have to do all your thinking for you.

I am sent with knowledge and understanding for God's purpose, now it is up to you to prove it or disprove it.

Your responsibility is to test the message in the standard of truth. Look it up, do some research. I keep falling for your ploys and even when the perfect answer comes you do not accept, so why listen? Is it more important for you to be heard over what God showed me? I

To know where you are in truth in this argument, go back and count how many posts you've had since you quoted scripture.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: JAK

You have not shown WHY unfallen beings need to pray, when they have direct and constant access to God.

The unfallen worlds are still under probation until Satan is destroyed.

Demons still hang out at the tree of the knowledge of Good and evil and all of those people are still being tested.

Adam was created under probation thus the test of the tree.

The tree is still accessible to the unfallen worlds but they are horrified by what Satan did to the Son of God and will have nothing to do with the tree. Satan was effectually thrown out of heaven when he crucified Jesus, but the tree of the knowledge of good and evil has not dried up yet.

Do you get it?

Also, I never mentioned anything about dark matter and I also do not believe it is a valid scientific concept, but to a degree there is adaptive evolution so that whole science is not mute.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/18/13 11:24 PM

The unfallen worlds are still under probation until Satan is destroyed.

Citation needed.

Demons still hang out at the tree of the knowledge of Good and evil and all of those people are still being tested.

Citation needed.

Adam was created under probation thus the test of the tree.

Citation needed.

The tree is still accessible to the unfallen worlds but they are horrified by what Satan did to the Son of God and will have nothing to do with the tree. Satan was effectually thrown out of heaven when he crucified Jesus, but the tree of the knowledge of good and evil has not dried up yet.

Citation needed.

Do you get it?

"...in my imagination" is the operative phrase here.

Also, I never mentioned anything about dark matter and I also do not believe it is a valid scientific concept, but to a degree there is adaptive evolution so that whole science is not mute.

Ye err in that ye know not your science. Dark matter is an integral part of the Bubble Universe Theory. Check your own post.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/19/13 09:23 PM

Brother JAK, I do love you, but you are obviously here to be a distraction, you could be harassing any number of people but you follow me around like you're stalking me and I am taking notes.

Above you asked for more citations. Read this and get a start on this knowledge, and if you have any faith the Spirit of Prophecy as from God, you will see.

Early Writings 39.3

"The Lord has given me a view of other worlds. Wings were given me, and an angel attended me from the city to a place that was bright and glorious. The grass of the place was living green, and the birds there warbled a sweet song. The inhabitants of the place were of all sizes; they were noble, majestic, and lovely. They bore the express image of Jesus, and their countenances beamed with holy joy, expressive of the freedom and happiness of the place. I asked one of them why they were so much more lovely than those on the earth. The reply was, “We have lived in strict obedience to the commandments of God, and have not fallen by disobedience, like those on the earth.” Then I saw two trees, one looked much like the tree of life in the city (It's the same one). The fruit of both looked beautiful, but of one they could not eat. They had power to eat of both, but were forbidden to eat of one. Then my attending angel said to me, “None in this place have tasted of the forbidden tree; but if they should eat, they would fall.

All of God's creation was born under probation. The tree of the knowledge of good and evil is still there until the cleansing of earth when this universe is reconnected to God's all encompassing universe.

P.S. Just because they think dark mater is the motivation that makes a wheel within a wheel universe possible and are wrong does not mean the theory that describes the evidence is unusable.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/20/13 02:43 AM

Sigh! One can only hope those notes are on how to structure an argument.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/20/13 05:09 AM

One would hope that if you are a Seventh Day Adventist you would already have this foundation in our faith established before you consider being a teacher, let alone structuring any kind of argument against it.

You remind me of the antagonistic College students I've met from our universities.

They are full of ideas but very little faith in the Spirit of Prophecy. They argue against our prophet like they are more enlightened, yet show very little compassion and are completely self serving, yet that is what they accuse me of. They find fault to separate, I am shown faults to heal. I do not like arguing, but my God hates when people come into His church and infer they know more than his prophet. They bring confusion not satisfaction in truth.

I know little of structuring an argument. I don't know how to develop a exegesis, and I don't know half of the garbage they teach at seminary, but I have been shown deep things in scripture and the Spirit of Prophecy which God taught me and continually enlightens to what it means and that's all I need in the name of Jesus amen.

This is my faith, and if you don't like using the Spirit of Prophecy to develop understanding in scripture then you are in the wrong church.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 02/21/13 01:25 AM

The reasoning goes thus:

The view of early Seventh-day Adventist writers concerning 24 elders was that they were among resurrected with Christ and were taken to heaven with Him at His ascension.

Since these resurrected ones included people who lived prior to Noah as well as in the time of Abraham these would be "more like the angels in form..."

So when EGW was SHOWN (visual vision) one of the elders explaining things to John, she discribed him as a "mighty angel" because that is what he looked like.
But how does that exclude those on other planets from looking even more like angels who have not been resurrected since they never sinned?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/06/13 10:08 PM

I think he did ig again. He gave a study on Daniel 2 and stated that the mixture of iron and clay were the mixture of church and state. Don't figure at all.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/07/13 12:12 AM

Thank you, Herold. I started checking into this question, and I do not know if I have the final answer yet. It appears to me like this is a notion he gets from non-SDA evangelists.

When these men have had such success in introducing such ideas from other churches and have it accepted by so many of the "saints" - such as that male headship idea, it is not surprising they also little by little try to get us to change more of our standard views on prophetic fulfillment.

I fear this might increase until many of the devout saints in our church are prepared to accept major changes in our beliefs.

We must stay close to the Lord Jesus Christ in prayer and study of His word.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/07/13 01:14 AM

But how does that exclude those on other planets from looking even more like angels who have not been resurrected since they never sinned?

It doesn't.

The pioneer understanding just shows the pioneers didn't seem to think EGW's calling him an "angel" limited the 24 elders to actual angels.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/07/13 08:24 AM

To many Bible student this matter seems clear as crystal because chapter 5 keeps defining one or more of those elders. In verse 9 we are told:

Quote:
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

Only the redeemed sinners can sing that new song, and the text states that they are redeemed. Only sinners in our world are redeemed.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/07/13 02:53 PM

But Johann, the 24 elders hold the golden censers of their worlds and our high priest, Jesus our elder since his resurrection after Adam fell, holds the golden censer for our world.

It was on the day of Pentecost that Jesus was found worthy to open the seals, and at the end of the seals the 144,000 sing the new song. You are looking at this scene like it happens all in the same moment, but it is an all encompassing statement from the time of His ascension, through opening the seals, to the last seal, not just one scene in history.

You need to see the whole text for its full content, look...

Rev 5:7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

Hold right there; so Jesus ascends to heaven and is found worthy, and the 24 elders are already there. So they must be not from this earth because there had not been 24 people redeemed from earth yet.

Continue...

9 And they (the saints whose prayers are ascending through the golden censers) sung a new song saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation.

Who sings the new song, the unfallen beings, the saints who were redeemed at the resurrection of Jesus who arrived with Jesus, OR is it the ones who make up the 144,000?

"They sing the new song before the throne, that song which no man can learn save the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. “These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.” Revelation 14:4, 5.622 {CCh 353.4}

So the 144,000 sing the new song, no one else. The 144,000 have not yet been manifest to us so how could it be that they are from the mini resurrection? This part of the scene has not yet happened.

So the argument you just put forward does not compute, savvy?

The 24 elders are the created son's of God, the elders of their planets who offer the prayers of their saints through the golden censer given to each ADAM like creature. The new song is sung by men from our planet that have not yet been manifested so it a future event there.

The 144,000 come from our planet and they sing the new song, no one else. So with this information how does your logic work?

And all the true bible students you spoke of, do they have the same flawed logic?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/07/13 09:13 PM

But Johann, the 24 elders hold the golden censers of their worlds...
The 24 elders are the created son's of God, the elders of their planets who offer the prayers of their saints through the golden censer given to each ADAM like creature.
Where does this idea originate, and where is the support for it?

I can find it neither in Scripture nor EGW's writtings, so it is clearly neither biblical nor SDA.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/07/13 11:49 PM

And you provided so much scriptural evidence to support your railing accusation against the conclusion didn't you?

I provided scriptural evidence I only hear a thus saith JAK from you.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/08/13 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: JAK
But Johann, the 24 elders hold the golden censers of their worlds...
The 24 elders are the created son's of God, the elders of their planets who offer the prayers of their saints through the golden censer given to each ADAM like creature.
Where does this idea originate, and where is the support for it?

I can find it neither in Scripture nor EGW's writtings, so it is clearly neither biblical nor SDA.

I will also stay with the Bible and the general view of the Seventh-day Adventist church.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/08/13 03:36 AM

Really? Show me a direct quote from Ellen White that supports your theory?

I debated this issue with Pastor Stephen Bohr and dozens of other pastors and he now has changed his mind and believes the same way I do on this issue. Even though he would probably say I had nothing to do with it.

Watch his new video called the 24 elders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3yYvwv8r0Y

Here is the study guide http://secretsunsealed.org/Downloads/24Eldersweb.pdf

Excerpts from the study guide;

"We need to understand that in Revelation 5 the angelic host is distinguished from the 24 Elders"

They are seated on thrones, therefore they are rulers. But where are they rulers?
&#61623; They have crowns on their heads, they are kings (Though generally the word stefanos is used to
describe the crown one who has gained a victory, there are exceptions. See for example
Matthew 27:29; Mark 15:17; John 19:2; Revelation 14:14)
&#61623; They are robed in white garments of light
&#61623; They are creatures (Revelation 4:10, 11)

There is the throne [Revelation 4:2], and around it the rainbow of promise [Revelation 4:3]. There are cherubim and seraphim [Revelation 4:6-8]. The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds [Revelation 4:4] are assembled. The heavenly council before which Lucifer had accused God and His Son, the representatives of those sinless realms over which Satan had thought to establish his dominion,--all are there to welcome the Redeemer. They are eager to celebrate His triumph and to glorify their King.

&#61623; They are not part of the angelic hosts because the angelic hosts are clearly distinguished from them (Revelation 5:12). As we have seen, the 24 elders were present in heaven (Revelation 4:4) before the angelic hosts arrived with Jesus.

They are not members of the unnumbered host of the redeemed. This is made evident by the fact that one of the elders asked John about the identity of the great multitude that no man could number ‘from every nation, kindred, people and tongue’ (Revelation 7:13). It is rather obvious that the elder would not ask about the identity of the great multitude if he belonged to it.

Revelation 5:9, 10 seems to indicate that the elders sing the song of their redemption “from every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation.” But Revelation 7:13 distinguishes one of the elders from the great multitude that was redeemed from “all nations, and kindreds, and people and tongues.” (Revelation 7:9). This clearly proves that the translation of Revelation 5:9, 10 in the King James Version is incorrect.

The 24 elders are not part of the 144,000 because the 144,000 are distinguished from them (Revelation 14:3)

The 24 elders are not those who will resurrect in the special resurrection (Daniel 12:2) just before the second coming because the 24 elders were already in heaven when Jesus ascended (Revelation 4:4)

The 24 elders are not those who will resurrect in the general resurrection because they were in heaven when Jesus ascended (I Thessalonians 4:15-17)

The 24 elders are not those who resurrected with Jesus because the 24 elders were already there before Jesus arrived (Revelation 4:4)

Conclusion: They are neither angelic nor human (from earth). They must be some other order of being.

Then he goes on to prove the exact same things I have stated before. You guys got to quit acting like you are the brain trusts of our faith. There is no official sda standing on this issue because Mrs White never said directly who the 24 elders are. This is exactly what I argued for years with elders of our denomination and finally someone pulled their head out! I'm glad it was Pastor Bohr who could get the message to the most people, even though it is not a salvation issue it proves I was motivated by the correct Spirit here. Thank you Father.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/08/13 04:56 AM

Desire of Ages puts the scene perfectly;

"There is the throne, and around it the rainbow of promise. There are cherubim and seraphim. The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds, are assembled. The heavenly council before which Lucifer had accused God and His Son, the representatives of those sinless realms over which Satan had thought to establish his dominion,—all are there to welcome the Redeemer. They are eager to celebrate His triumph and to glorify their King. {DA 834.1}

Every one of the children of God have an angel. How much more do the created Adams have Strong angels?

Adam was our elder. The oldest of our tribe. Then he fell and Satan usurped the place of elder, or representative of earth.

Then Jesus came and took that title away from Satan.

Now we have Michael as our representative and elder. When the earth is made new Adam will be restored to his previous position.

The 24 elders are the first created being of each tribe who never fell. They are also considered angels/ messengers for their people. They hold the golden censer filled with the righteousness of Christ just like Jesus/ Michael does in heaven for us now.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/08/13 07:43 PM

Every one of the children of God have an angel. How much more do the created Adams have Strong angels?
Now there's a thought. Before sin did each have an angel? If so, would that angel(s) not be with them? So if the 24 elders came to this periodic meeting of accounting in Job, would not their angels be with them? And then one could easily speak of the angels of god presenting themselves and also include the 24 elder representatives?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/08/13 07:44 PM

Continue to expound on this though, go further here I want to hear.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/08/13 08:00 PM

Go, run with it Kland,

Notice the structure of this sentence in Desire of Ages.

"The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds, are assembled".

The way this sentence is structured is saying that these attributes are all part of the same beings. These are the 24 elders. This is what MY GOD has shown me. I will go to the grave teaching this.

Each of the 24 elders are the commanders of the angelic host for their world just like Michael is for ours.

Each are the CREATED Son's of God like Adam was.

Each are the representatives of their unfallen worlds like Adam was. So Adam must have been one of the 24 elders before his fall.

(I do not know if the number is literal but I believe it is)

This makes scripture perfectly harmonize. But do you realize how badly I have been persecuted sharing this one thought with the church?

It is like pulling teeth to teach people who have been raised thinking a lie, who think they have it all figured out. You would think that they would get the picture when they don't have the Holy Spirit in force with their beliefs. They are willing to put someone out of the church for telling the truth.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/08/13 08:49 PM

Quote:

Every one of the children of God has an angel. Ok (although I'm not sure about this in relation to the unfallen beings).
But I'm confused about the representatives of the worlds, or created Adams, as you refer to them. Do you mean that they have "strong angels" or that they are the "strong angels"? In case they are the "strong angels" do they also have an angel?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/09/13 01:52 AM

Quote:

Every one of the children of God has an angel. Ok (although I'm not sure about this in relation to the unfallen beings).
But I'm confused about the representatives of the worlds, or created Adams, as you refer to them. Do you mean that they have "strong angels" or that they are the "strong angels"? In case they are the "strong angels" do they also have an angel?

I kind of rushed through that statement; here is what I know so far on this very deep subject which is still manifesting understanding in my heart.

Before Adam fell he was the prince of this world with a crown just like the other elder representatives have.

The 24 elders are the commanders of the angelic host for their universe. They work in harmony with the angels to do what is needed for their people directly, in the name of God. They hold the golden censers filled with the prayers of their people and ask the Father to unlock the storehouse for their needs. (Remember; they are still under probation until the second advent, the end of probation)

It's all about possession. If we are possessed by demons, Satan and His angels work in us. If we are with God, righteous angels dwell in and strengthen us and this how the Holy Spirit, Christ in us, is manifested. The angels are the path for the Holy Spirit to enter into us from heaven.

The unfallen beings of other worlds are filled with the holy Spirit, they have never lost this connection. So they are working in perfect harmony with their angels, and they each do not need many angels because they live in an unfallen world. Each have one in relation to the position of the fathers of their tribes.

Michael is the commander of the angelic host of all of heaven not just one universe. Michael is the creator of the angels. "heaven’s Prince, the Archangel, Michael".{RC 90} He is the commander in chief of the elders and angelic host. But one of His commanders fell and Satan became the prince of this world. Michael took the throne of earth back so our connection could be reestablished to heaven. He fills in for Adam in the elders lineup until his resurrection.

"you shall see angels ascending and descending upon the Son of Man".

By virtue of Jesus living the perfect life and ascending to heaven undefiled, He has the right to the position that Adam fell from, and when we are led by faith to accept him, He becomes "Michael your prince" {Daniel 12:1} the second Adam.

Every earthly human being has a guardian angel unless they are sealed for destruction, reprobate. Those who are filled with the Holy Spirit are called the (adopted) Son's of God and have many angels posted around them for protection and strength to do God's will in this fallen world. The humans who have much responsibility, blessed with greater gifts, i.e. prophets, ministers, teachers, have angels who are more powerful in their standing before the Father.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/09/13 04:31 AM

"Only as they were united with Christ could the disciples hope to have the accompanying power of the Holy Spirit and the co-operation of angels of heaven. With the help of these divine agencies they would present before the world a united front and would be victorious in the conflict they were compelled to wage unceasingly against the powers of darkness. As they should continue to labor unitedly, heavenly messengers would go before them, opening the way; hearts would be prepared for the reception of truth, and many would be won to Christ. So long as they remained united, the church would go forth “fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners.” Song of Solomon 6:10. Nothing could withstand her onward progress. The church would advance from victory to victory, gloriously fulfilling her divine mission of proclaiming the gospel to the world." {AA 90.2}

"Let us cultivate the simplicity of little children. The precious Bible, the Book of God, is our instructor. To all who will walk humbly with God He will give His Holy Spirit and will minister to them through the agency of holy angels to make right impressions upon human minds.—Manuscript 77, 1909. {Ev 629.4}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/09/13 06:24 PM

Go, run with it Kland,

Notice the structure of this sentence in Desire of Ages.

"The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds, are assembled".

The way this sentence is structured is saying that these attributes are all part of the same beings. These are the 24 elders. This is what MY GOD has shown me. I will go to the grave teaching this.
Sorry, but I don't buy into the parallel or multi-universe theory. Not sure if that's what you intended or universe being their world/planet. I was only trying to reconcile where it sounded like Ellen White said sons of Gods are angels only. Your comment made me think it could be inclusive.

"There is the throne, and around it the rainbow of promise. There are cherubim and seraphim. The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds, are assembled. The heavenly council before which Lucifer had accused God and His Son, the representatives of those sinless realms over which Satan had thought to establish his dominion,—all are there to welcome the Redeemer. They are eager to celebrate His triumph and to glorify their King. {DA 834.1}

I see this as several groups and not all the same one:
  • There are cherubim and seraphim.
  • The commanders of the angel hosts,
  • the sons of God,
  • the representatives of the unfallen worlds,
If you make it referring to all the same one, I'm afraid you may have problems where they are used elsewhere. But if you go with separate groups, one would have to assume that sons of God could be overlapping, so I don't know. Are commanders, representatives and cherubim and seraphim NOT sons of God?

Quote:
Each are the CREATED Son's of God like Adam was.

Each are the representatives of their unfallen worlds like Adam was. So Adam must have been one of the 24 elders before his fall.
Didn't think this was a new idea. Especially not a different enough one to put one out of the church!
Quote:
(I do not know if the number is literal but I believe it is)
Suppose it is not literal. Is there any other case where 24 indicates a completeness or fullness?

Suppose it is literal? I notice it is double of 12. Coincidence? What does this imply? Did God only create 12/24 worlds and ours was the last one? Or was God creating worlds and it happened to fail on the 12/24th one and that is why there were 12 disciples?

Suppose it revolves around 12. Does that mean there were two representatives for our world? If Adam was one, who was the other? Eve? Adam's angel?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/09/13 06:49 PM

Now there's a thought. Before sin did each have an angel? If so, would that angel(s) not be with them? So if the 24 elders came to this periodic meeting of accounting in Job, would not their angels be with them? And then one could easily speak of the angels of god presenting themselves and also include the 24 elder representatives?

I only meant to run with this thought, I added the other elements for further consideration.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? - 04/10/13 04:03 PM

Brother Kland, (please read this carefully, I prayerfully spent hours on this for you)

Lets look at the context of this quote and be systematic in our approach here. This is the scene of Jesus after His resurrection, entering into heaven with "those raised with Him as representatives of that great multitude who shall come forth from the grave at His second coming". To this point He has not allowed ANYONE to worship him. He will not even let the angels worship Him yet, He waved them back. So to this point there has been no proclaiming "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain" as in Revelation 5:11 the text we are debating. Here is the full quote from Desire of Ages;

Quote:
"There is the throne, and around it the rainbow of promise. There are cherubim and seraphim (The angels; period). The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds, are assembled (The 24 elders, period). The heavenly council before which Lucifer had accused God and His Son, the representatives of those sinless realms over which Satan had thought to establish his dominion,—all are there to welcome the Redeemer (both groups= the council; period). They are eager to celebrate His triumph and to glorify their King." {DA 834.1}
But He waves them back. Not yet; He cannot now receive the coronet of glory and the royal robe. He enters into the presence of His Father. He points to His wounded head, the pierced side, the marred feet; He lifts His hands, bearing the print of nails."

So to this point the only ones in this scene are the angels and the elders. Both groups make up the representatives of unfallen worlds; the heavenly council. The representatives of the redeemed of earth are behind Him following in His train not in this scene before Him. Continuing...

Quote:
"He points to the tokens of His triumph; He presents to God the wave sheaf, those raised with Him as representatives of that great multitude who shall come forth from the grave at His second coming. He approaches the Father, with whom there is joy over one sinner that repents; who rejoices over one with singing. Before the foundations of the earth were laid, the Father and the Son had united in a covenant to redeem man if he should be overcome by Satan. They had clasped Their hands in a solemn pledge that Christ should become the surety for the human race. This pledge Christ has fulfilled. When upon the cross He cried out, “It is finished,” He addressed the Father. The compact had been fully carried out. Now He declares: Father, it is finished. I have done Thy will, O My God. I have completed the work of redemption. If Thy justice is satisfied, “I will that they also, whom Thou hast given Me, be with Me where I am.” John 19:30; 17:24. {DA 834.2}
The voice of God is heard proclaiming that justice is satisfied. Satan is vanquished. Christ’s toiling, struggling ones on earth are “accepted in the Beloved.” Ephesians 1:6. Before the heavenly angels and the representatives of unfallen worlds (Both groups of the heavenly council), they are declared justified. Where He is, there His church shall be. “Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.” Psalm 85:10. The Father’s arms encircle His Son, and the word is given, “Let all the angels of God worship Him.” Hebrews 1:6. {DA 834.3}
With joy unutterable, rulers and principalities and powers acknowledge the supremacy of the Prince of life. The angel host prostrate themselves before Him, while the glad shout fills all the courts of heaven, “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing.” Revelation 5:12. {DA 834.4}

So when Jesus ascends and comes into the scene of Revelation 5 no one from the mini-resurrection is next to the throne, they are behind Jesus waiting to be presented. They could not possibly be a part of the 24 elders. Is this logical? It is after the sacrifice is accepted and they are presented to the Father that the angels, the elders and the redeemed get to proclaim "worthy is the lamb who was slain".

Now lets look at the full quote in Revelation 5 starting in verse 5;

Quote:
'Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. 7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. 8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people. 9 And they (all three groups, with special emphasis on the 144,000 who sing the new song) sang a new song, saying:

“You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased for God
persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth.”

Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they were saying:

Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!”
Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!”

The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.' {Revelation 5:5-13}

This scene in Revelation chapter 5 encompasses every major scene in the plan of Salvation which has the proclamation of "worthy is the lamb who was slain" from the ascension, to the first resurrection, to the second resurrection. To prove this point, look at the three different scenes in the Spirit of Prophecy which has these words proclaimed in them. The first one, the ascension has been covered. Here is the second scene with that proclamation.

Quote:
"As the ransomed ones are welcomed to the City of God, there rings out upon the air an exultant cry of adoration. The two Adams are about to meet. The Son of God is standing with outstretched arms to receive the father of our race—the being whom He created, who sinned against his Maker, and for whose sin the marks of the crucifixion are borne upon the Saviour’s form. As Adam discerns the prints of the cruel nails, he does not fall upon the bosom of his Lord, but in humiliation casts himself at His feet, crying: “Worthy, worthy is the Lamb that was slain!” Tenderly the Saviour lifts him up and bids him look once more upon the Eden home from which he has so long been exiled. {GC 647.2}

Now the last scene where this proclamation is significantly illustrated is at the second resurrection, when every knee shall bow and tongue confess.

Quote:
Before the universe has been clearly presented the great sacrifice made by the Father and the Son in man’s behalf. The hour has come when Christ occupies His rightful position and is glorified above principalities and powers and every name that is named. It was for the joy that was set before Him—that He might bring many sons unto glory—that He endured the cross and despised the shame. And inconceivably great as was the sorrow and the shame, yet greater is the joy and the glory. He looks upon the redeemed, renewed in His own image, every heart bearing the perfect impress of the divine, every face reflecting the likeness of their King. He beholds in them the result of the travail of His soul, and He is satisfied. Then, in a voice that reaches the assembled multitudes of the righteous and the wicked, He declares: “Behold the purchase of My blood! For these I suffered, for these I died, that they might dwell in My presence throughout eternal ages.” And the song of praise ascends from the white-robed ones about the throne: “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing.” Revelation 5:12. {GC 671.1}
Notwithstanding that Satan has been constrained to acknowledge God’s justice and to bow to the supremacy of Christ, his character remains unchanged. The spirit of rebellion, like a mighty torrent, again bursts forth. Filled with frenzy, he determines not to yield the great controversy. The time has come for a last desperate struggle against the King of heaven. He rushes into the midst of his subjects and endeavors to inspire them with his own fury and arouse them to instant battle. But of all the countless millions whom he has allured into rebellion, there are none now to acknowledge his supremacy. His power is at an end. The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah. Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them. {GC 671.2}

Something came to me tonight which has to do with the heart of this debate here. Who are the "commanders of the angels" from the Desire of Ages quote at the top?

We know Jesus is the commander in chief of the angels, the prince of heaven, and Satan coveted His position, but why was he so jealous of Jesus after the plan of creating men was announced?

Quote:
Before the fall of Satan, the Father consulted his Son in regard to the formation of man. They purposed to make this world, and create beasts and living things upon it, and to make man in the image of God, to reign as a ruling monarch over every living thing which God should create. When Satan learned the purpose of God, he was envious at Christ, and jealous because the Father had not consulted him in regard to the creation of man. Satan was of the highest order of angels; but Christ was above all. He was the commander of all Heaven.

After the announcement of the creation of the "son's of God" and the revealing of Jesus as the rightful ruler of heaven Satan rallied other angels to rebel with him.

Quote:
"He left the immediate presence of the Father, dissatisfied, and filled with envy against Jesus Christ. Concealing his real purposes, he assembled the angelic host. He introduced his subject, which was himself. As one aggrieved, he related the preference God had given Jesus to the neglect of himself. He told them that henceforth all the sweet liberty the angels had enjoyed was at an end. For had not a ruler been appointed over them, to whom they from henceforth must yield servile honor? He stated to them that he had called them together to assure them that he no longer would submit to this invasion of his rights and theirs; that never would he again bow down to Christ; that he would take the honor upon himself which should have been conferred upon him, and would be the commander of all who would submit to follow him and obey his voice. {1SP 18.2}

Here is more proof of the position God created men to have even within each family on earth...

Quote:
Parents, take this lesson home, and in the place of educating your children in the path of self-indulgence, self-gratification, and disobedience, learn of Abraham. Abraham commanded his household and his children after him to keep the way of the Lord. The Searcher of hearts said of him, “I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment.” O for wise and judicious commanders, who will walk in the way of the Lord as did Abraham, to deal justly and love mercy, who will despise every phase of falsehood and deception! Abraham walked in the counsel of God. He did not rule by oppression, neither was he controlled by blind passion. He made straight paths for his feet, lest the lame should be turned out of the way; and God blessed him, and made him a blessing. {RH April 6, 1897, par. 7}

The elders of each created world are the commanders of the angelic host. I am very persuaded on this point now.

I have been extremely blessed in this pursuit of knowledge tonight. God has proven His leading for me once again.I hope you all are as blessed as I have been by this, in the righteous name of Jesus amen.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church