What Elijah the Prophet is This Referring to?

Posted By: Daryl

What Elijah the Prophet is This Referring to? - 11/10/13 06:08 AM

The following Bible text was quoted in another thread:
Quote:
Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

What Elijah the prophet is this referring to?
Posted By: Elle

Re: What Elijah the Prophet is This Referring to? - 11/10/13 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Daryl
Quote:
Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

I'm glad you brought up the discussion Daryl. I still have many other discussion to reply and I don't have the time right now to type what I currently understand by pulling out all scriptures.

But to quickly sum it up...Mal 4:5 is referring to John the Baptist for the first coming of Christ. Elijah was for the first coming, and Elisha who had the double portion of the Spirit of Elijah, comes for the second coming of Christ. Elijah's ministry was interrupted and not completed and was replaced and completed by Elisha. This typifies what is to be fulfilled. John the Baptist work was also sharply interrupted and not completed to fulfill " he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers,"(Mal 4:6). So we are currently waiting for Elisha, who comes with the double portion of the Spirit of Elijah and will complete the work prophecied in Mal 4:6.

Christ work was also sharply interrupted by His death, and now we awaits for His 2nd coming by which in His second work will complete the fulfillment of scriptures of entering "Canaan" and "smite" the nations with His sword-words.

Elijah and Elisha represents two TYPES of the two preperation of Christ's two comings. Just like Moses and Joshua represents two TYPES of Christ and His work. The first typified by Moses representing the Passover work by which Moses died and did not enter the promise land. Moses work was interrupted and taken over by Joshua.

The Lord repeats TYPES so in it He gives us a 2nd witness with more information to recognize His handy work when He fulfills all scriptures.

Joshua was the one that typified the second coming of Christ of entering into the promise land and " out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron:"(Rev 19:15) . Joshua literally showed this very type when they entered Canaan and smite the nation with the sword. However, the fulfillment of this Type will be a spiritual conquering of the nations not with a physical sword but with the "sword of the Spirit" that will fulfill Mal 4:6.

So we have the Elisha(=144k -- the firstfruit barley company = the body) & Joshua (=Jesus -- the head) Type that will complete the work of he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers,"(Mal 4:6) at His 2nd coming.
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: What Elijah the Prophet is This Referring to? - 11/11/13 06:29 AM

Quote:

Twofold:

1. John the Baptist (Mat. 17:12-13)
2. The Pentecostal Church (verse 11)

The last is a bit difficult to see. It began from the days of Pentecost, as recorded in Acts 2:36-39 ...

Quote:
Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said to them, Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.

Jesus, just before his ascension said, "You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be MY WITNESSES in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth." (Acts 1:8) The body of believers (the Church) therefore comes "in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, the disobedient to the wisdom of the just." (Luke 1:17) It is as it was "In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, and saying, Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand! For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying: The voice of one crying in the wilderness: Prepare the way of the Lord; Make His paths straight." (Mat. 3:1-3)

The last prophet we know of is John the Apostle who was given the Testimony of Jesus Christ for all the Church for all ages thereafter even to the end of time; as it is written, "Behold, I (JESUS CHRIST) am coming quickly! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book [MY TESTIMONY TO YOU UPON MY DEATH]." (Rev. 22:7)

///
Posted By: Daryl

Re: What Elijah the Prophet is This Referring to? - 11/12/13 02:38 AM

James,

What Pentecostal Church are you referring to?
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: What Elijah the Prophet is This Referring to? - 11/12/13 06:34 AM

James,
What Pentecostal Church are you referring to?

To put it simply: the body of sincere believers in the ministry of Jesus of Nazareth, THE Christ. We are the ones who were sent to prepare the way for the coming of the King:

"And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen." (Mat. 28:18-20)

It is obvious that it is in fact the directive to John the Baptist transferred to the Church.

///
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church