Do God's Commands Represent His Will?

Posted By: Green Cochoa

Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/14/14 06:55 AM

This is a simple question: Do God's commands represent His will? Let us know your view in the following poll.
Posted By: Johann

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/14/14 11:40 AM

It is clear that God's commands on divorce, polygamy, etc. do not represent His will. They accommodate the hardness of the hearts of people, like Jesus said.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/14/14 11:47 AM

Mark 10:5
And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/14/14 02:40 PM

God didn't command divorce or polygamy. He permitted it.

Mat 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so (KJV).

Mat 19:8 Jesus9 said to them, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because of your hard hearts,10 but from the beginning it was not this way (NET Bible).

Mat 19:8 He said to them, Because of your hard-heartedness Moses allowed you to put away your wives; but from the beginning it was not so (MKJV).

Posted By: kland

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/14/14 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
God didn't command divorce or polygamy. He permitted it.
So you would conclude God's permission did not represent His will.

I thought I had posted this, but maybe it was during the blank posts issue.

Ex 21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

Le 24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.

De 19:21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Commands, right?

Mt 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Not His will, right?
Posted By: APL

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/14/14 07:24 PM

Rosangela: "God didn't command divorce or polygamy. He permitted it."

Did God give commands on how to manage divorce? Yep. And that is the point. God says, if you are going to divorce, which I hate and never wanted and is not my will, then you have to do it like this... God says, if you are going to fight and not follow my methods, then you have to do it like this... This is god PERMISSIVE will.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/14/14 09:28 PM

God will never command anything contrary to His will. Otherwise He would be commanding disobedience.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 12:01 AM

Quote:

Le 24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.

De 19:21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Commands, right?

Mt 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Not His will, right?

An eye for an eye wasn't the will of God, and He didn't command it; He permitted it and made provision to avoid excesses.

Speaking of the cities of refuge, EGW says:

"The avenger might pursue the criminal anywhere and put him to death wherever he should be found. The Lord did not see fit to abolish this custom at that time, but He made provision to ensure the safety of those who should take life unintentionally" (PP 515).

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
God will never command anything contrary to His will. Otherwise He would be commanding disobedience.

Did God "command" the people to spy out the land before entering?

Numbers 13:1-3 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 2 Send you men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give to the children of Israel: of every tribe of their fathers shall you send a man, every one a ruler among them. 3 And Moses by the commandment of the LORD sent them from the wilderness of Paran: all those men were heads of the children of Israel.

But - was this God plan?

Deuteronomy 1:21-22 Behold, the LORD your God has set the land before you: go up and possess it, as the LORD God of your fathers has said to you; fear not, neither be discouraged. 22 And you came near to me every one of you, and said, We will send men before us, and they shall search us out the land, and bring us word again by what way we must go up, and into what cities we shall come.

Did God "command" them to send in spies? YES. Was it His plan for them to send in spies? NO. Since the people were not going to follow God's plan, did God give specific commands in how to carry out THEIR plans? YES. God does this repeatedly, and still the people rebel and do not follow through even when doing it their own way and not God's.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 12:18 AM

Quote:
Rosangela: "God didn't command divorce or polygamy. He permitted it."

Did God give commands on how to manage divorce? Yep. And that is the point. God says, if you are going to divorce, which I hate and never wanted and is not my will, then you have to do it like this... God says, if you are going to fight and not follow my methods, then you have to do it like this... This is god PERMISSIVE will.

The commands on how to manage divorce were provisions to avoid excesses, as I said above.
But there were other reasons why God commanded things which were less than ideal. It is not "since you wish it, you will have to do it my way." God doesn't have to comply with the wishes of human beings. Look at the EGW quote I posted above: "The Lord did not see fit to abolish this custom at that time, but He made provision to ensure the safety of those who should take life unintentionally."

As to the death penalty, for instance, the reason was different:

The Lord said of the children of Israel, "Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my Sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols, wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live." Because of continual disobedience, the Lord annexed penalties to the transgression of his law, which were not good for the transgressor, or whereby he should not live in his rebellion. {1SP 265.2}

By transgressing the law which God had given in such majesty, and amid glory which was unapproachable, the people showed open contempt of the great Lawgiver, and death was the penalty. {1SP 265.3}

"Moreover also, I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them. But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted. Then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them." {1SP 265.4}

The statutes and judgments given of God were good for the obedient. "They should live in them." But they were not good for the transgressor; for in the civil law given to Moses, punishment was to be inflicted on the transgressor, that others should be restrained by fear. {1SP 266.1}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 03:15 AM

Then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them." {1SP 265.4}

And the Lord sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died. ... The Israelites, up to this time, had been preserved from these serpents in the wilderness by a continual miracle; for the wilderness through which they traveled was infested with poisonous serpents. {1SP 315.1}

God's wrath was poured out by sending the serpents. God's wrath is when He withdraws, give people up, lets them go, hides His face. God is not an executioner, a torturer. He is our Father.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 03:51 AM

APL,
I didn't speak about God's wrath, but about the reason for the death penalty in the Old Covenant. God doesn't change, so His wrath then and now is the same. However, a death penalty was annexed then to God's laws, but it isn't applied nowadays. Why?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 05:01 AM

You don't recognize it as God's wrath, but in the quote above, that is God's wrath.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 06:27 AM

God does not command anything contrary to His will. To command something contrary to His will is tantamount to commanding sin. God does not command sin. The Law of Moses does not command sin. Nor does it accommodate the sinful desires of sinners. They illustrate and apply the principles of the Ten Commandments.

The minds of the people, blinded and debased by slavery, were not prepared to appreciate fully the far-reaching principles of God's ten precepts. That the obligations of the decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the precepts of the ten commandments. Unlike the decalogue, these were delivered privately to Moses, who was to communicate them to the people. {RH, August 16, 1906 par. 16}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 07:36 AM

And the ultimate revelation of God's law is found in Christ life on this earth and His teachings. Teachings such as not resisting evil, turning the other cheek, not fighting and not killing your enemies.

God's will - was it God's will that the people spy out the land before entering it? NO. Did God give commands on how to spy it out? Yep!

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 07:00 PM

Quote:
You don't recognize it as God's wrath, but in the quote above, that is God's wrath.

Of course God's wrath is manifested every time sin is punished, however this is not what we are discussing. The passage I quoted says that God annexed penalties to the law given to Moses, and it states the reason why this was done - punishment was to be inflicted on the transgressor, that others should be restrained by fear. God meets people where they are, and that nation of slaves only understood the language of fear.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 07:48 PM

Quote:

Of course God's wrath is manifested every time sin is punished, however this is not what we are discussing. The passage I quoted says that God annexed penalties to the law given to Moses, and it states the reason why this was done - punishment was to be inflicted on the transgressor, that others should be restrained by fear. God meets people where they are, and that nation of slaves only understood the language of fear.

Yes, and this because the people would not and did not trust God. This is not God's ideal will.

The germ in the seed grows by the unfolding of the life-principle which God has implanted. Its development depends upon no human power. So it is with the kingdom of Christ. It is a new creation. Its principles of development are the opposite of those that rule the kingdoms of this world. Earthly governments prevail by physical force; they maintain their dominion by war; but the founder of the new kingdom is the Prince of Peace. The Holy Spirit represents worldly kingdoms under the symbol of fierce beasts of prey; but Christ is "the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. In His plan of government there is no employment of brute force to compel the conscience. The Jews looked for the kingdom of God to be established in the same way as the kingdoms of the world. To promote righteousness they resorted to external measures. They devised methods and plans. But Christ implants a principle. By implanting truth and righteousness, He counterworks error and sin. {COL 77.1}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 08:16 PM

There is nothing commanded in the Law of Moses that violates God's Law or God's will - including capital punishment. Commanding capital punishment is not commanding sin.

Also, commanding the Hebrews to spy did not violate any of the precepts or principles of God's Law. He did not command them to sin.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 08:17 PM

PS - Nothing commanded in the Law of Moses contradicts anything Jesus said or did while here in the flesh.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/15/14 09:00 PM

There is nothing commanded in the Law of Moses that violates God's Law or God's will - including capital punishment. Commanding capital punishment is not commanding sin.

Also, commanding the Hebrews to spy did not violate any of the precepts or principles of God's Law. He did not command them to sin.

The question is do God's commands represent His will? The spying out of the land was not God's will! And the result of the spying out of the land was disastrous! The people insisted on it, and God gave commands on how to do it, but it was not God's will. You say it was not a sin to spy out the land, however, the only reason the people wanted to spy it out was because of mistrust in God. They did not have faith in Him. What ever is not of faith, is what?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/16/14 01:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, and this because the people would not and did not trust God. This is not God's ideal will.

Sure. God doesn't want anyone to die. However, since sin entered the universe, things less than ideal must happen. God's option many times is not between something good and something bad, but between something bad and something worse. And sometimes letting the sinner live is worse than removing his life.

Speaking of the apostasy at Sinai, EGW says:

So with the apostasy at Sinai. Unless punishment had been speedily visited upon transgression, the same results would again have been seen. The earth would have become as corrupt as in the days of Noah. Had these transgressors been spared, evils would have followed, greater than resulted from sparing the life of Cain. It was the mercy of God that thousands should suffer, to prevent the necessity of visiting judgments upon millions. In order to save the many, He must punish the few. ... It was necessary for the good of Israel, and also as a lesson to all succeeding generations, that crime should be promptly punished. And it was no less a mercy to the sinners themselves that they should be cut short in their evil course. {PP 325.3}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/16/14 03:07 AM

Jesus did not command sin when He commanded the Hebrews to spy. He does not command people to do things that violate His will or way.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/16/14 05:41 AM

Jesus did not command sin when He commanded the Hebrews to spy. He does not command people to do things that violate His will or way.
Did the people trust God, is that why the wanted to spy out the land? Nope.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/16/14 11:08 PM

Jesus has never commanded anyone to do anything that violated His will or law. That's the point.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/16/14 11:54 PM

The truth is that God works with those that lack faith in Him. Spying out the land was NOT God idea or will. But He did give them permission. And the results were disastrous. The people did not trust God and thus wanted to spy out the land. God gave laws for divorce, yet divorce was never His will. That is the point.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/17/14 07:06 PM

Quote:

Commands, right?

Not His will, right?

An eye for an eye wasn't the will of God, and He didn't command it; He permitted it and made provision to avoid excesses.
He didn't? Maybe you need to define how we can tell what God commanded? Read the texts in context and tell me if it is a command or not. If you think it is not a command, then tell me what are commands. How can we find/determine what are His commands?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/17/14 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: APL
M: Jesus has never commanded anyone to do anything that violated His will or law. That's the point.

A: God gave laws for divorce, yet divorce was never His will. That is the point.

Where in the Bible did Jesus command divorce? He commanded capital punishment multiple times (a point you have not confessed).

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/17/14 11:21 PM

He commanded the people to spy out the land, which was not His will.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 12:07 AM

He commanded the people to spy out the land, which was not His will.

APL relies upon human judgment and error in accusing God of commanding that which God did not will. Mrs. White, properly understood, sets us straight on the matter.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Shall man set up his will against the will of God? Shall we be disobedient to the commands of so mighty a Ruler? Shall we contend with the Most High, who is the source of all power, and from whose heart flows infinite love and blessing to the creatures of His care? {LS 230.3}

We do not know what great interests may be at stake in the proving of God. There is no safety except in strict obedience to the word of God. All His promises are made upon condition of faith and obedience, and a failure to comply with His commands cuts off the fulfillment to us of the rich provisions of the Scriptures. We should not follow impulse, nor rely on the judgment of men; we should look to the revealed will of God and walk according to His definite commandment, no matter what circumstances may surround us. God will take care of the results; by faithfulness to His word we may in time of trial prove before men and angels that the Lord can trust us in difficult places to carry out His will, honor His name, and bless His people. {PP 621.5}

No matter how difficult it is for us to see that something is truly for our best good and/or within the will of God, when we know He has commanded something, there is no safety in doing anything but obey. Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him for righteousness--even offering up his son upon the altar. Faith was manifest in his actions of obedience--obedience which, to human reasoning, appeared to violate the commandment against murder.

Was it God's will for Abraham to pass this test by obeying? Most definitely it was. When God commands, His command makes His will known to us. We cannot with safety trust to our own judgment, and think we know better than God does what we should or should not do.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 12:13 AM

Here are some more good statements.

Those who have genuine love for God will manifest an earnest desire to know His will and to do it. Says the apostle John, whose epistles treat so fully upon love, "This is the love of God, that we keep his commandments" (1 John 5:3).

In order to keep God's commandments, we must have an intelligent knowledge of the Scriptures. We can not obey God until we know what His commands are. It was that we might understand His will that God gave us the Bible. By a study of its teachings, we learn to deny self and to conform our lives to its requirements.

Obviously, it is God's will that we obey His commands. The contrapositive must also be true, to wit, God's commands show us His will.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Johann
It is clear that God's commands on divorce, polygamy, etc. do not represent His will. They accommodate the hardness of the hearts of people, like Jesus said.

It is clear that Pr. Johann is not a safe spiritual guide.

What God commands, we best follow--for sooner than the command leaves His lips, it is His will that it be carried out.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: dedication

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 02:32 AM

What is God's Will?

Quote:
Galatians 1:3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and [from] our Lord Jesus Christ,
1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

God's will is to deliver us from this present evil world.

Quote:
Col 4:12 that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.

1 Thess 4:3 For this is the will of God, [even] your sanctification

1 Peter 2:15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven!
Look to heaven to see what it is to be part of God'sperfect will.

No sin, no death, no fighting or strife, perfect harmony, peace, love, joy, gentleness, trust.

But God's will is not being done on earth, yet it is His will that "he might deliver us from this present evil world,"

In order to do this He must meet us where we are and lead us forward. A lot of things that were done in OT times are not examples of God's perfect will for mankind, but they are examples of God's will to deliver mankind from this present evil world.

There is a difference.

God does not "will" thousands to be lost. He didn't 'will" for the Canaanites to fall deeper and deeper into gross iniquity. He sent them Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to testify of Him, He allowed them to know of His deliverance of the Israelites from Egypt. They had 400 some years to repent and turn from their sins.

But when their cup of iniquity was full, and their thoughts were to do evil continually, it was God's will to destroy them, not because He has the mentality of a "destroyer" but because it is His Will to deliver people from this present evil world.

Thus we do see in the OT that God outlines procedures that can't possible represent His perfect will for a perfect world. Rather it represents his Will make it possible for people to learn truth, and to teach and move people along the path of deliverance from this present evil world.

In the constant warfare between Israel and the idolaters around them, I am sure it was never God's will that there should be all this warfare and killing. It should have been a quick conquest and then Israel was to be a light set on a hill shining God's will to the world.

But of course it didn't work that way -- Israel was constantly distrusting God, and being drawn into idolatry and other practices of the heathen, so God let the heathen oppress them, till they called upon God for help, and He would help them win against their enemies, but then they would fall back, and the cycle repeated itself over and over and over again.

A lot of the laws given by God for the civil judges of Israel to follow were given to put limits on evil, they were not God's perfect will for a perfect world.

That does not mean it wasn't His will to put those limits on evil, for it was His will, but that should not be confused with God's will for a perfect life or a perfect world.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 04:37 AM

When they sinned in Heaven God kicked them out. Obey and stay. Disobey and go away.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 05:04 AM

M: Where in the Bible did Jesus command divorce? He commanded capital punishment multiple times (a point you have not confessed).

A: He commanded the people to spy out the land, which was not His will.

1. Where in the Bible did Jesus command divorce?
2. You refuse to confess Jesus commanded capital punishment.
3. Where in inspiration does it say it wasn't God's will to send out spies?

Quote:
God sent them into the land for a special purpose, but the spies brought back an evil report, full of unbelief and complaint. {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 6}

Here it was proposed by the people that spies be sent up to survey the country. The matter was presented before the Lord by Moses, and permission was granted, with the direction that one of the rulers of each tribe should be selected for this purpose. {PP 387.1}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 06:15 AM

MM - you questions are not on topic. Does God give commands in situations which are not His will? YES.

Who proposed to send in spies? God? Nope.
Posted By: asygo

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 06:50 AM

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: dedication
God does not "will" thousands to be lost. He didn't 'will" for the Canaanites to fall deeper and deeper into gross iniquity. He sent them Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to testify of Him, He allowed them to know of His deliverance of the Israelites from Egypt. They had 400 some years to repent and turn from their sins.

But when their cup of iniquity was full, and their thoughts were to do evil continually, it was God's will to destroy them, not because He has the mentality of a "destroyer" but because it is His Will to deliver people from this present evil world.
Careful. You are coming close to making a Greenism!

God destroys, because it is His will to deliver them?

You said so many good things, but then this. What does that mean? God is not the destroyer because He destroys to deliver?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Here are some more good statements.

Those who have genuine love for God will manifest an earnest desire to know His will and to do it. Says the apostle John, whose epistles treat so fully upon love, "This is the love of God, that we keep his commandments" (1 John 5:3).

In order to keep God's commandments, we must have an intelligent knowledge of the Scriptures. We can not obey God until we know what His commands are. It was that we might understand His will that God gave us the Bible. By a study of its teachings, we learn to deny self and to conform our lives to its requirements.

Obviously, it is God's will that we obey His commands. The contrapositive must also be true, to wit, God's commands show us His will.
Given your distinction between murder and killing, if God commands people to kill those who have not murdered, does that mean He commands people to murder and therefore it is His will that people murder?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: kland
Given your distinction between murder and killing, if God commands people to kill those who have not murdered, does that mean He commands people to murder and therefore it is His will that people murder?

You have misrepresented my position and the Biblical distinction. Murder was not the only offense to incur capital punishment. Other offenses, as you may recall, that required capital punishment included: willful Sabbath-breaking, rebellion against parental authority, rape, adultery, and failing to restrain one's dangerous animal to the point where it killed someone (this list is not intended to be exhaustive, merely descriptive).

In the end, any sin, however small, requires capital punishment of the offender. The only way for each of us to obtain mercy and pardon, is to accept Jesus' substitutionary payment of our penalty in our place.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: asygo
What should you do if God commands you to do something that is against His will?

Arnold,

God never commands against His will. If He commands, it is His will as of that moment, if not before. Therefore, I do not know how to answer your poll. The phraseology of the question forces it to be in error. There could be but one of three errors involved:

1) I am mistaken in identifying God's voice; or
2) I am mistaken in understanding God's will; or
3) Satan is commanding me to do God's will.

Those are the only three possibilities I see from your poll question.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 07:15 PM

You have misrepresented my position and the Biblical distinction.

Then you have not given the Biblical distinction nor your distinction.

Quote:
Murder was not the only offense to incur capital punishment. Other offenses, as you may recall, that required capital punishment included: willful Sabbath-breaking, rebellion against parental authority, rape, adultery, and failing to restrain one's dangerous animal to the point where it killed someone (this list is not intended to be exhaustive, merely descriptive).

In the end, any sin, however small, requires capital punishment of the offender. The only way for each of us to obtain mercy and pardon, is to accept Jesus' substitutionary payment of our penalty in our place.
Who determines sin? Do people ever determine "sin"? If you "sin" against me, can I kill you and it not be defined as murder?

Or do you mean in a dictator way. The Guy with the big guns determines who gets killed, and because He determines it, that in itself means it is "right"? What is good for the goose is not good for the gander?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 07:18 PM

I noticed you swapped "capital punishment" for "killing". Do you mean there are only two things, murder and capital punishment? So that all people who kill and it is not for the purpose of capital punishment, it is considered "murder"?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 08:33 PM

Arnold, I answered Obey to your poll. Abraham is an example of obeying God's command to do something that is normally contrary to His will. Abraham obeyed believing God would resurrect Isaac.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 08:40 PM

M: Where in the Bible did Jesus command divorce? He commanded capital punishment multiple times (a point you have not confessed).

Quote:
God sent them into the land for a special purpose, but the spies brought back an evil report, full of unbelief and complaint. {RH, October 3, 1893 par. 6}

Here it was proposed by the people that spies be sent up to survey the country. The matter was presented before the Lord by Moses, and permission was granted, with the direction that one of the rulers of each tribe should be selected for this purpose. {PP 387.1}

MM - you questions are not on topic. Does God give commands in situations which are not His will? YES. Who proposed to send in spies? God? Nope.

I asked about divorce because you have not proven Jesus commanded it. I wrote about capital punishment because you refuse to confess Jesus commanded it. I asked about spies because you have not proven it was against Jesus' will.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 08:43 PM

Kland, you refuse to confess the Bible distinguishes between killing and murder. Jesus commanded capital punishment in the Law of Moses. You refuse to confess it.
Posted By: asygo

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/18/14 10:12 PM

God never commands against His will.

I'm trying to point out that concept. I agree with you, so I voted that I wouldn't know what to do. MM voted for obedience, with good precedent. I believe APL has said before that he wouldn't do it, but he hasn't said so here.

For those who think the scenario is possible, the precedent of choice is between Samuel and Saul.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/19/14 09:21 PM

Kland, you refuse to confess the Bible distinguishes between killing and murder. Jesus commanded capital punishment in the Law of Moses. You refuse to confess it.
I'm not aware it does. You say the difference is between killing a murderer and killing someone who has not murdered. The Bible lists that. It doesn't say that represents His will, though.

The 10 commandments says, thou shalt not kill.

It doesn't address motive, convenience, or whatever reason someone may have.

Is God above His law? Hitler was above His law. You think you are above your "rules". Is God like that?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/20/14 12:10 AM

Kland, capital punishment cases are clearly outlined in the Law of Moses. Killing murderers is only one such case.

Quote:
Exodus
19:12 And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, [that ye] go [not] up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death:
21:12 He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.
21:15 And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.
21:16 And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.
21:17 And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
21:29 But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death.
22:19 Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.
31:14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it [is] holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth [any] work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh [is] the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth [any] work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Leviticus
20:2 Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever [he be] of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth [any] of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.
20:9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood [shall be] upon him.
20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with [another] man's wife, [even he] that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
20:11 And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them.
20:12 And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood [shall be] upon them.
20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them.
20:14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it [is] wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.
20:15 And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.
20:16 And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them.
20:27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood [shall be] upon them.
21:9 And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.

Numbers
15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
15:36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

Deuteronomy
13:9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
13:10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son [is] stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; [he is] a glutton, and a drunkard.
21:21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.
21:22 And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:
21:23 His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged [is] accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee [for] an inheritance.

The laws regulating capital punishment are numerous. From unruly children to Sabbath-breakers, the law is comprehensive. They were "surely put to death" in different ways - some by stoning, some by fire, and some by hanging. You have not confessed Jesus commanded capital punishment.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/20/14 05:30 AM

Well said, Mike.

Perhaps, if kland, APL, Johann, et al. wish to maintain that "Thou shalt not kill" is the proper translation, in place of "Thou shalt not murder" (the correct translation), then they will have to define the distinction between "put to death" and "kill/murder." I wonder how they will do that?

To have no distinction at all, whatsoever, means God commanded BOTH to kill AND not to kill. This, then, forces upon mankind an impossibility. We cannot possibly please God under such circumstances. This is exactly the type of contradiction that Satan pushes as being "true." APL, kland, et al. are falling for Satan's lies here.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/20/14 02:05 PM

Which one will be more dead than the other as a result of the act?

Jesus was quite radical. According to His interpretation was hatred killing or murder?

What is the punishment?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/20/14 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Johann
Which one will be more dead than the other as a result of the act?

Jesus was quite radical. According to His interpretation was hatred killing or murder?

What is the punishment?

Hatred is equivalent to murder, not killing. There is a difference, and Jesus kept it clear.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Alchemy

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/20/14 03:52 PM

Matthew 5:21-26; “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny. (bold emphasis mine)

This context of "without a cause" is crucial I believe. I believe this is important about anger. We know God gets angry, so anger can't be a sin all by itself. But, anger without a cause is definitely a sin.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/20/14 04:53 PM

God commanded that when a murderer was killed, the killing must be done without premeditation, hatred, hunting, or lying in wait. It must be executed simply as a duty in order to maintain justice and purity among God's people.

God's command represents His will. When God destroys the wicked in hell, it will not be because God hates the wicked. God is love. He destroys them in love. But punish He must--for if He did not, He would not be a God of justice.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/20/14 05:30 PM

“Everyone who is angry with his brother shall be in danger of the judgment.”—Mat_5:22, R. V.

Through Moses the Lord had said, “Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart.... Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.” Lev_19:17-18. The truths which Christ presented were the same that had been taught by the prophets, but they had become obscured through hardness of heart and love of sin. {MB 55.2}

The Saviour’s words revealed to His hearers the fact that, while they were condemning others as transgressors, they were themselves equally guilty; for they were cherishing malice and hatred. {MB 55.3}

Alchemy - - WHY did EGW quote the RV and not the KJV, leaving out "without a cause", particularly since it is so "crucial"

Did Jesus violate the law of Moses when He was presented with the woman taken in adultery? Did He stone her? What did He do? Hm...

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/20/14 07:18 PM

APL, did Jesus repeal the Law of Moses when He refused to command the adulteress stoned to death? I believe He was complying with the laws of the land.

The following inspired insight speaks to the point:

Quote:
Christians commit a terrible mistake in calling this law severe and arbitrary, and then contrasting it with the gospel and mission of Christ in his ministry on earth, as though he were in opposition to the just precepts which they call the law of Moses. {RH, May 6, 1875 par. 12}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/20/14 07:21 PM

Quote:

MM - you questions are not on topic. Does God give commands in situations which are not His will? YES. Who proposed to send in spies? God? Nope.

I asked about divorce because you have not proven Jesus commanded it. I wrote about capital punishment because you refuse to confess Jesus commanded it. I asked about spies because you have not proven it was against Jesus' will.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/21/14 01:24 AM

God commanded that when a murderer was killed, the killing must be done without premeditation, hatred, hunting, or lying in wait.
Now that's a funny statement!!!!

How do you kill someone, intentionally, without premeditation?

Quite the contortionist you are.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/21/14 01:33 AM

Kland, capital punishment cases are clearly outlined in the Law of Moses. Killing murderers is only one such case.
But you've swapped killing with capital punishment. I wasn't talking about that. We weren't talking about that. Are you switching topics?

Commands, right?

Not His will, right?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/21/14 01:48 AM

But kland - the Jesus of the NT is not the real Jesus. We must look at the OT to get the real truth about what God really wants, right?

Hebrews 1:1-3 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 Has in these last days spoken to us by his Son, whom he has appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 9}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/21/14 01:49 AM

APL, did Jesus repeal the Law of Moses when He refused to command the adulteress stoned to death? I believe He was complying with the laws of the land.

The following inspired insight speaks to the point:

Quote:
Christians commit a terrible mistake in calling this law severe and arbitrary, and then contrasting it with the gospel and mission of Christ in his ministry on earth, as though he were in opposition to the just precepts which they call the law of Moses. {RH, May 6, 1875 par. 12}

OH - so the laws of the land, those of men, prevented Him from complying with the law of Moses. Got it...

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/21/14 06:21 AM

God commanded that when a murderer was killed, the killing must be done without premeditation, hatred, hunting, or lying in wait.
Now that's a funny statement!!!!

How do you kill someone, intentionally, without premeditation?

Quite the contortionist you are.

You would have done this in obedience to God's commands. I take it you have not read your Bible all the way through. You have also not read the topic where I posted the Biblical distinction between killing and murder, to be found HERE.

I shouldn't let you be lazy, but to help clear up the misunderstandings due to ignorance of God's Word, I will provide some of the key texts here.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
35:19 The revenger of blood himself shall slay the murderer: when he meeteth him, he shall slay him.
35:20 But if he thrust him of hatred, or hurl at him by laying of wait, that he die;
35:21 Or in enmity smite him with his hand, that he die: he that smote [him] shall surely be put to death; [for] he [is] a murderer: the revenger of blood shall slay the murderer, when he meeteth him.
35:22 But if he thrust him suddenly without enmity, or have cast upon him any thing without laying of wait,
35:23 Or with any stone, wherewith a man may die, seeing [him] not, and cast [it] upon him, that he die, and [was] not his enemy, neither sought his harm:
35:24 Then the congregation shall judge between the slayer and the revenger of blood according to these judgments:
35:25 And the congregation shall deliver the slayer out of the hand of the revenger of blood, and the congregation shall restore him to the city of his refuge, whither he was fled: and he shall abide in it unto the death of the high priest, which was anointed with the holy oil.

In other words, the murderer was to be punished by the revenger in the following manner, with the revenger of blood doing one or more of these:

• thrust him suddenly without enmity,
  • cast upon him any thing without laying of wait,
  • or with any stone, wherewith a man may die, seeing [him] not, and cast [it] upon him, that he die, and [was] not his enemy, neither sought his harm

After having performed these commands, the revenger himself was to be imprisoned until the death of the high priest--and yet, these duties were a requirement for him!

If you don't know why these duties were required, read in Numbers 35 and see how God sees things. He says blood pollutes the land, and He does not want it to remain so. He says there is only one way to remove the bloody pollution of a murderer, and that is by his/her death. Only by capital punishment can the land be free of the blood-guiltiness of the murderer.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/21/14 04:57 PM

Quote:
You would have done this in obedience to God's commands. I take it you have not blah, blah, blah
The question was: How do you kill someone, intentionally, without premeditation? Does obey God's commands mean you are not premeditating on His commands?!

Quote:
35:24 Then the congregation shall judge between the slayer and the revenger of blood according to these judgments:
35:25 And the congregation shall deliver the slayer out of the hand of the revenger of blood, and the congregation shall restore him to the city of his refuge, and the congregation shall restore him to the city of his refuge, whither he was fled: and he shall abide in it unto the death of the high priest, which was anointed with the holy oil.

After having performed these commands, the revenger himself was to be imprisoned until the death of the high priest--and yet, these duties were a requirement for him!
Are you misrepresenting the Bible?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/22/14 09:05 PM

APL and Kland,

The fact neither one of you are willing to confess Jesus commanded killing criminals and combatants places you on par with unbelievers. You are denying the Word of God. Nothing you say here is valid. Your unbiblical assumptions are based on a lie. You are adding to and subtracting from the Word of God.

Revelation
22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

Nothing anyone here says will make sense to you because you are rejecting the Law of God. The Law of God is a transcript of His character. Please repent.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/23/14 01:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:

He didn't? Maybe you need to define how we can tell what God commanded?

By examining the rest of the Bible. Please notice how Jesus corrected the pharisees regarding the subject of divorce:

Mat 19:7 They said to Him, Why did Moses then command to give a bill of divorce and to put her away?
Mat 19:8 He said to them, Because of your hard-heartedness Moses allowed you to put away your wives

Did God ever command them to put away their wives? No, but since they were already doing it, he commanded them to give a bill of divorce.

The same is true in this case. Did God command them to physically penalize the person who has injured another person? No, but since they were already doing it, He commanded them to not exceed the crime in their punishments.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/23/14 01:33 AM

Quote:
Is God above His law? Hitler was above His law. You think you are above your "rules". Is God like that?

EGW says clearly that Jesus was above all law.
You are above your law for your three-year-old not to touch the stove, or your law for your 14-year-old not to drive the car.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/23/14 01:40 AM

Quote:
But kland - the Jesus of the NT is not the real Jesus. We must look at the OT to get the real truth about what God really wants, right?

One thing is true - since God doesn't change and doesn't contradict Himself, the God of the OT can't be different from that of the NT.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/23/14 10:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:

By examining the rest of the Bible. Please notice how Jesus corrected the pharisees regarding the subject of divorce:

Mat 19:7 They said to Him, Why did Moses then command to give a bill of divorce and to put her away?
Mat 19:8 He said to them, Because of your hard-heartedness Moses allowed you to put away your wives

Did God ever command them to put away their wives? No, but since they were already doing it, he commanded them to give a bill of divorce.

The same is true in this case. Did God command them to physically penalize the person who has injured another person? No, but since they were already doing it, He commanded them to not exceed the crime in their punishments.

Did God want the Israelites to fight their way into Canaan? Where the Israelites armed when they left Egypt? Why were they soon fighting? Why did they have weapons? They did arm themselves. They did not do as God commanded. Then they chose to fight, and they kept on fighting all through their history. They had no need to fight with God on their side. Look at Jacob. Look at the exodus. Look at 2 Chronicles 20. The people were blinded by unbelief. God gave them rules for polygamy to diminish the evil results. God gave them rules for divorce to diminish the evil results. God gave them rules for warfare to diminish the evil results.

When Jesus taught that a man should have one wife as long as he lived, He was teaching first principles. When Jesus taught that His followers should not fight in any circumstances, He was teaching first principles. He was teaching a through reformation.

Oh - and MM, read Ezra and Nehemiah.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/23/14 11:03 AM

APL,

It is ironic that you should ask "Did God want the Israelites to fight their way into Canaan?" I say this because Canaan was a land of milk and honey, and God wanted His people to be there. Those are both animal products, so you abstain from them, right? Canaan, perhaps, is not where you wish to be. So why are you fighting if you don't believe one should fight?

When God commanded His people to fight, it was His will that they do so. All of His commands are expressions of His will. And "all His biddings are enablings," we are told. That is something to ponder.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/23/14 08:16 PM

APL,

It is ironic that you should ask "Did God want the Israelites to fight their way into Canaan?" I say this because Canaan was a land of milk and honey, and God wanted His people to be there. Those are both animal products, so you abstain from them, right? Canaan, perhaps, is not where you wish to be. So why are you fighting if you don't believe one should fight?

When God commanded His people to fight, it was His will that they do so. All of His commands are expressions of His will. And "all His biddings are enablings," we are told. That is something to ponder.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

You can believe that it was God's will that the people kill if you wish. But understand that it will also change you and you will also become like that. It is a law of the mind that it gradually adapts itself to the subjects upon which it is trained to dwell.

And you off topic dig at food, but as moderator, I guess you have license to do that, let me ask you, was it OK in the beginning to marry your sister? Why is it not OK to marry your sister now? Let me ask another question, is disease in animals increasing? Increasing over what time frame? What implications does this have? You are the one introducing this topic to the thread.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/24/14 05:27 AM

You can believe that it was God's will that the people kill if you wish. But understand that it will also change you and you will also become like that. It is a law of the mind that it gradually adapts itself to the subjects upon which it is trained to dwell.

And you off topic dig at food, but as moderator, I guess you have license to do that, let me ask you, was it OK in the beginning to marry your sister? Why is it not OK to marry your sister now? Let me ask another question, is disease in animals increasing? Increasing over what time frame? What implications does this have? You are the one introducing this topic to the thread.

APL,

The point I was making with that tangential topic is directly related to this one. The point is simple: Canaan was a desirable land that God was giving as an inheritance to His people. That inheritance included good things, for every gift God desires to give is good. God chose to give them the "gift" through effort on their own part. He did not just whisk away the inhabitants on a divine wind, leaving their properties free for the taking.

The battle belonged to the Lord, but was engaged in by His people. The battle represented a Christian's own warfare against the powers of darkness. God desires that we engage in this warfare. In fact, APL, your theology of the Old Testament renders you incapable of understanding fully the symbolic value of the lesson God is teaching here.

God will not just whisk away every temptation that confronts us or besets us, leaving us with a perfect character, un-earned by any effort on our part. Neither would Christ give Canaan to His people in such a manner. Had Christ ever done so, the victory gained would have left His people weak and undeveloped in character. But once the victory is obtained, we can enjoy that "milk and honey" that God has provided.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/24/14 06:05 AM

Well Green, you thoughts don't fit well with Jacob. Nor with the exit from Egypt. In fact, you are sounding more like a works based theology.

As to our battles, the great battle ever fought, is the battle against self. Your implications are misplaced. The people had a part to play. It was not to fight, it was to go forward and possess the land. This they did not do. The were blinded and they lacked faith. Let's not repeat their error.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/24/14 07:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Well, you appeared to support divorce. Could you do the same for eye-for-eye?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/24/14 07:15 PM

Quote:

EGW says clearly that Jesus was above all law.
You are above your law for your three-year-old not to touch the stove, or your law for your 14-year-old not to drive the car.

So that would mean God doesn't need to keep His 10 commandments, right?

Quote:

One thing is true - since God doesn't change and doesn't contradict Himself, the God of the OT can't be different from that of the NT.
I agree with this. I thought that's what's been under discussion for some time. And isn't the purpose of Jesus coming to this earth to show how God really is?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/25/14 08:30 PM

Jesus showed how the Godhead really is in the OT, too. "The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New." {DA 799.2} There are zero contradictions between the OT and the NT. The Law of Moses reveals the Gospel as much as the Sermon on the Mount. There is perfect harmony between the two. "Be ye therefore very courageous to keep and to do all that is written in the book of the law of Moses, that ye turn not aside therefrom to the right hand or to the left."

"Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and the judgments. Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: and he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse."

Quote:
Since they themselves desired it, Paul bade them set a day when he could present to them the truths of the gospel. At the time appointed, many came together, "to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening." He related his own experience, and presented arguments from the Old Testament Scriptures with simplicity, sincerity, and power. {AA 451.2}

The Pharisees accused Jesus of undermining the Law of Moses:

Quote:
The charges of the Jews that Christ did not regard the law of Moses, was without the least foundation. {RH, April 29, 1875 par. 2}

As Jesus explained the duty of his disciples in the works of righteousness, the Pharisees saw that the doctrines taught condemned their course, and, in order to prejudice the people against the great Teacher, whispered to one another that the lessons of Jesus were in opposition to the law of Moses, in that he made no mention of that law. {2SP 217.2}

The Pharisees had asserted that his teachings were directly opposed to the law of Moses, and for the purpose of exalting himself; yet his special directions to the cleansed leper to make an offering to the priest according to the law of Moses, evidenced to the people that these accusations were false. {2SP 229.4}

But in directing the healed man to present his offering to the priest, as enjoined by the law of Moses, he would convince them that he was not opposed to the Jewish code, if their minds were open to conviction. {2SP 231.2}

It is a grave mistake to assume Jesus altered the Law of Moses:

Quote:
Moses of himself framed no law. Christ, the angel whom God had appointed to go before his chosen people, gave to Moses statutes and requirements necessary to a living religion and to govern the people of God. Christians commit a terrible mistake in calling this law severe and arbitrary, and then contrasting it with the gospel and mission of Christ in his ministry on earth, as though he were in opposition to the just precepts which they call the law of Moses. {RH, May 6, 1875 par. 12}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/25/14 08:43 PM

The Lord said of the children of Israel, "Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my Sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols, wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live." Because of continual disobedience, the Lord annexed penalties to the transgression of his law, which were not good for the transgressor, or whereby he should not live in his rebellion. {ST, June 17, 1880 par. 4}

God's work is the same in all time, although there are different degrees of development and different manifestations of His power, to meet the wants of men in the different ages. Beginning with the first gospel promise, and coming down through the patriarchal and Jewish ages, and even to the present time, there has been a gradual unfolding of the purposes of God in the plan of redemption. The Saviour typified in the rites and ceremonies of the Jewish law is the very same that is revealed in the gospel. The clouds that enveloped His divine form have rolled back; the mists and shades have disappeared; and Jesus, the world's Redeemer, stands revealed. He who proclaimed the law from Sinai, and delivered to Moses the precepts of the ritual law, is the same that spoke the Sermon on the Mount. The great principles of love to God, which He set forth as the foundation of the law and the prophets, are only a reiteration of what He had spoken through Moses to the Hebrew people: "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord: and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." Deuteronomy 6:4, 5. "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." Leviticus 19:18. The teacher is the same in both dispensations. God's claims are the same. The principles of His government are the same. For all proceed from Him "with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." James 1:17. {PP 373.2}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/25/14 08:48 PM

Are we to keep the law of Moses today? Why are we not????

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/26/14 05:17 AM

The Law of Moses is the Ten Commandments magnified. "That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the principles of the Ten Commandments. {PP 310.1}

During the Jewish dispensation, the people executed the laws requiring capital punishment. During the Church dispensation, the state executes the laws requiring capital punishment. During the final judgment, Jesus will execute the laws requiring capital punishment.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/26/14 08:25 AM

And WHY were more laws given? The minds of the people, blinded and debased by slavery and heathenism, were not prepared to appreciate fully the far-reaching principles of God's ten precepts.

Was giving the structure of the Tabernacle God's idea?
Were all the myriad of animal sacrifices God's idea?
Was fighting? Divorce? Polygamy? You know the answer??? Try not to give your "tradition"-al answer, give an answer from the Bible. It will surprise you, if you allow your mind to not be blinded by the tradition of your education.

A simple question, what was God's plan for the people of Israel? Read Exodus 19:5-6. Pretty simple, no? It had very broad implications. It also never happened, the people refused.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/26/14 08:37 AM

You are ignoring a simple fact: "That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the principles of the Ten Commandments. {PP 310.1}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/26/14 06:44 PM

You are ignoring the fact that facts are not always so simple.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/26/14 07:42 PM

The facts are too simple to ignore:

1. The Law of Moses requires capital punishment for a multitude of offenses.

2. Capital punishment is God's will.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/26/14 08:51 PM

Jesus showed how the Godhead really is in the OT, too. "The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New." {DA 799.2}
Could you support that Ellen White did not mean that Jesus could be seen in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New, but that she meant what you intend that Jesus in the old was revealed in the new? If it's as what you say, then what was the purpose of Jesus coming to the earth? What was the purpose of Ellen White saying why Jesus came to the earth?

Quote:
It is a grave mistake to assume Jesus altered the Law of Moses:

Quote:
During the Jewish dispensation, the people executed the laws requiring capital punishment. During the Church dispensation, the state executes the laws requiring capital punishment. During the final judgment, Jesus will execute the laws requiring capital punishment.

Looks like you nullified what you say.
Quote:
The facts are too simple to ignore:

1. The Law of Moses requires capital punishment for a multitude of offenses.

2. Capital punishment is God's will.
But yet you say it is not. It is. It's not.
= waffling!

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/26/14 11:16 PM

Jesus came to live and die the perfect life and death. He came to shed His blood to atone for our sins He came to make repentance, pardon, and salvation possible. In doing so, He revealed the love and goodness of the Godhead.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/26/14 11:17 PM

Jesus did not nullify the law of Moses. Capital punishment is His will. He will execute justice and judgment. He will cast unsaveable sinners in the lake of fire. The law of Moses typified the final judgment. The final judgment is the real punishment for sinning. The fact the Church does not execute capital punishment is not an argument against it.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/27/14 05:23 PM

"Capital punishment is His will."

"The fact the Church does not execute capital punishment is not an argument against it. "

So you would be saying the Church does not follow His will.

I just realized you have cleared the Papacy and Hitler of murder!

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/27/14 09:26 PM

Your observations are absurd.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/28/14 06:45 PM

Do you say they are absurd, because you have looked into the whitewashed crypt? It's true, isn't it? But yet you hate thinking of it.

Why not consider that your view of God needs to be reconsidered. Perhaps a new view won't come across so absurd. Then you can call evil evil and good good and won't being clearing the Papacy and Hitler through spinning God.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/28/14 08:25 PM

Your comments are inflammatory. They break forum rules. Just because the Moderators do nothing about it, it doesn't give you the right to post hateful comments. Do the right thing, Kland - Obey the rules.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 02/28/14 09:24 PM

Your comments are inflammatory. They break forum rules. Just because the Moderators do nothing about it, it doesn't give you the right to post hateful comments. Do the right thing, Kland - Obey the rules.
Are you to be believed when you make God out to be the destroyer? Make God one who will punish all who don't love Him? A god that wants murder and death? How can you reconcile your beliefs with that fact that God does not execute sinners? {GC 36.1} God is not the destroyer? You are making God have the attributes of Satan. It is hateful to speak the truth? MM - see God as He has been revealed by His Son!

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Malachi 4:2. {DA 22.1}

The very attributes that belonged to the character of Satan, the evil one represented as belonging to the character of God. Jesus came to teach men of the Father, to correctly represent him before the fallen children of earth.
{ST, January 20, 1890 par. 6}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 9}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/01/14 05:43 AM

APL, you have refused to confess the truth. Jesus commanded capital punishment and war. He commands His will.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/01/14 06:23 AM

APL, you have refused to confess the truth. Jesus commanded capital punishment and war. He commands His will.
Actually - what did God command? Read it in Exodus 20. No where I find it His will we kill, and in fact, it is just the opposite. What will happen if I don't love? Will He kill me? "Love me, or I will kill you"? Love cannot be commanded.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/01/14 07:47 AM

You continue to deny the Word of God. Jesus commanded capital punishment and war. Your unwillingness to confess the truth is telling.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/01/14 07:53 AM

You continue to deny the Word of God. Jesus commanded capital punishment and war. Your unwillingness to confess the truth is telling.
Are you willingly being blind to what God is telling us in His Word? Perhaps you just don't see it? You probably believe that all the animal sacrifices in the OT are God's perfect will, and not His permissive will. And if so, then you see that killing and shedding of blood is a high priority of God. It is not!

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/01/14 08:00 AM

You have refused to confess the truth. Until you do, your words mean nothing. Permissive will is His will. He does not command His people to do anything that violates His law or will. Commanding capital punishment and war is His will and does not violate His law.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/01/14 08:21 AM

That is your opinion. And not everyone sees it your way. Why not see God as Jesus has revealed Him to be?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/01/14 09:14 PM

It is the truth. Jesus commanded capital punishment and war. It is His will. Ne never commands people to violate His will or law. You are rejecting the truth.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/02/14 02:09 AM

Are you willingly being blind to what God is telling us in His Word? Perhaps you just don't see it? You probably believe that all the animal sacrifices in the OT are God's perfect will, and not His permissive will. And if so, then you see that killing and shedding of blood is a high priority of God. It is not!

The sacrificial system was part of God's plan for sinners from Adam until the cross. It wasn't simply "permissive", it was the plan of God.

Not that God delights in sacrifice, for He does not.
But they were necessary in the dealing with the sin problem.
For "without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins" Hebrews 9:22

From Adam to the cross, the animal sacrifices were to testify the truth in that verse.
At the cross Christ, the all sufficient sacrifice, shed His blood for the remission of our sins.

1 Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as you know that you were not redeemed with corruptible things..
1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

Hebrews 9:13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

1 John 1:7 the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/02/14 02:46 AM

Actually - what did God command? Read it in Exodus 20. No where I find it His will we kill, and in fact, it is just the opposite. What will happen if I don't love? Will He kill me? "Love me, or I will kill you"? Love cannot be commanded.

On another thread dealing with this same subject I pointed out that the reason people started dying after Adam and Eve sinned, is because they were deprived of fruit from the tree of life. Even before sin entered mankind needed to eat from the tree of life in order to have continuous life.

When they sinned Genesis tells us they were barred by angels with flaming swords from the garden in which stood the tree of life.

You mentioned this was "by the mercy of God".

Which surprised me, coming from you, as this "mercy" is obviously a death sentence -- for without the fruit from the tree of life people die a lingering slow death. (Have you been to an old folks home, or extended care home lately?)

So it's obvious that the truth is --
SERVE GOD OR YOU WILL DIE.
God did take away the fruit of life which is absolutely necessary for continuous life thus causing mankind to die and
God can take away the breath of life (both come solely from God, and were graciously offered to mankind so they could have eternal life.

The love and mercy of God is that He has given mankind a second chance through the sacrifice of Christ Jesus, to take hold of His life giving redemption. Life is freely offered to everyone who accepts Him, thanks to Christ's death upon the cross.

Yet no one yet has access to the tree of life. So we all are slowly dying and will die. But then there are the resurrections, those who accepted God's gift will be admitted to tree of life and live eternally.
But the rejecters of His mercy, though also resurrected, will not have that privilege, and rather than leave them to again die a long and slow death, after showing them just how hard God tried to save them but that they rejected eternal life, their end will come quickly.

And yes, it is in mercy that God will make a quick and final end to sin.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/02/14 02:52 AM

In the OT God commanded that people be put to death? Why?
To teach that sin will be punished.
At the cross, Christ took our punishment upon Himself.
Now punishment is no longer immediately dished out, as it is hoped that people viewing the cross and their sins upon Christ will repent in brokenness of heart and turn to God Who did so much to forgive and save them from their sins.
But punishment still falls --
For those who reject Christ Who stood in their place, the punishment will fall upon their own heads.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/02/14 03:53 AM

The sacrificial system was part of God's plan for sinners from Adam until the cross. It wasn't simply "permissive", it was the plan of God.

Not the wholesale slaughter of animals. That was not his plan.

Not that God delights in sacrifice, for He does not.
But they were necessary in the dealing with the sin problem.
For "without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins" Hebrews 9:22

Sheding of whose blood? Animals? Nope.

From Adam to the cross, the animal sacrifices were to testify the truth in that verse.
At the cross Christ, the all sufficient sacrifice, shed His blood for the remission of our sins.

1 Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as you know that you were not redeemed with corruptible things..
1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

Yes - the blood of Christ. Not animals

Hebrews 9:13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Right! The blood of bulls and goats could not purify.

1 John 1:7 the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Yes. The Blood of Christ

Jeremiah 7:22-24 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices: 23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you. 24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.

Micah 6:6-8 Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? 7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? 8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Isaiah 1:11-12 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices to me? said the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats. 12 When you come to appear before me, who has required this at your hand, to tread my courts?

Leviticus 1:2 Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them, If any man of you bring an offering to the LORD, you shall bring your offering of the cattle, even of the herd, and of the flock.

IF? Yes IF! God was not requiring, but if they did bring it, then God had instructions. Read Leviticus chapters 1-5. Why bring all these sacrifices? Because they came out of Egypt with all the corrupt religion. God did not require the wholesale slaughter of animals. God's instructions of what He wanted is clear.
Exodus 19:5-6 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

But what did the people do? They went backwards, not forward. They engaged in idolatry. They ingaged in warfare when none was needed, they had God on their side. The demanded a king like all the other "nations", that is all the other heathen. Yes, it was God's permissive will at work all over the place.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/02/14 04:03 AM

On another thread dealing with this same subject I pointed out that the reason people started dying after Adam and Eve sinned, is because they were deprived of fruit from the tree of life. Even before sin entered mankind needed to eat from the tree of life in order to have continuous life.

When they sinned Genesis tells us they were barred by angels with flaming swords from the garden in which stood the tree of life.

Which surprised me, coming from you, as this "mercy" is obviously a death sentence -- for without the fruit from the tree of life people die a lingering slow death. (Have you been to an old folks home, or extended care home lately?)
Perhaps you are missing something. Perhaps there is more to the story. Perhaps them eating of the Tree of Life would have prevented any plan of salvation because sin would have been so integrated that it could not be removed immortalizing sin with all its misery, so yes, barring them from the tree was an act of mercy. And do note, that everyone who has been born and died will live again. The first death is NOT the wages of sin spoken about in the Bible.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/02/14 04:08 AM

In the OT God commanded that people be put to death? Why?
To teach that sin will be punished.
At the cross, Christ took our punishment upon Himself.
Now punishment is no longer immediately dished out, as it is hoped that people viewing the cross and their sins upon Christ will repent in brokenness of heart and turn to God Who did so much to forgive and save them from their sins.
But punishment still falls --
For those who reject Christ Who stood in their place, the punishment will fall upon their own heads.

Will be punished how? God will inflict it? NO.

God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. {GC 36.1}

Satan works through the elements also to garner his harvest of unprepared souls. He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature, and he uses all his power to control the elements as far as God allows. When he was suffered to afflict Job, how quickly flocks and herds, servants, houses, children, were swept away, one trouble succeeding another as in a moment. It is God that shields His creatures and hedges them in from the power of the destroyer. But the Christian world have shown contempt for the law of Jehovah; and the Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings from the earth and remove His protecting care from those who are rebelling against His law and teaching and forcing others to do the same. Satan has control of all whom God does not especially guard. He will favor and prosper some in order to further his own designs, and he will bring trouble upon others and lead men to believe that it is God who is afflicting them. {GC 589.2}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/02/14 11:03 AM

Perhaps you are missing something. Perhaps there is more to the story. Perhaps them eating of the Tree of Life would have prevented any plan of salvation because sin would have been so integrated that it could not be removed immortalizing sin with all its misery, so yes, barring them from the tree was an act of mercy. And do note, that everyone who has been born and died will live again. The first death is NOT the wages of sin spoken about in the Bible. [/color]

The first death is the wages of sin.
For as in Adam all die, 1 Cor. 15:22

That first death would have been the end -- the final death, the result and punishment for sin, no hope beyond.

But by Christ came the resurrection of the dead. (1 Cor. 15:22)

Punishment for disobedience resulted in being barred from the tree of life, which resulted in everyone dying a slow, prolonged death.
And yes, God inflicted that punishment.

Christ died the death which is the punishment for sin.

It is only by Christ taking our sins and shedding His blood for our salvation, and then breaking the power of the tomb -- the prison house of death, by coming forth victorious that our resurrection was made possible.

Because Christ did this ALL will be resurrected.

Those who accept this gift of life purchased for them by Christ, will come forth from the tomb to live forever with Christ. They will be given access to the tree of life.

those who reject this gift of life purchased for them by Christ, will also be resurrected and shown what Christ did to save them, but they rejected it, and thus cannot be given access to the tree of life. They are not left to die another slow death living in the agony of mind of what they have lost. The end will be quick and final. Sin will be no more.

The second death of Rev. 21 is not the punishment for sin.
Christ took that punishment for everyone at the cross.

The second death occurs because they REJECTED CHRIST'S gift of life.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/02/14 10:12 PM

Dedication, I appreciated your recent posts. Clear, concise - truth.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/02/14 10:17 PM

"The wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23. While life is the inheritance of the righteous, death is the portion of the wicked. Moses declared to Israel: "I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil." Deuteronomy 30:15. The death referred to in these scriptures is not that pronounced upon Adam, for all mankind suffer the penalty of his transgression. It is "the second death" that is placed in contrast with everlasting life. {GC 544.1}

In consequence of Adam's sin, death passed upon the whole human race. All alike go down into the grave. And through the provisions of the plan of salvation, all are to be brought forth from their graves. "There shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust;" "for as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive."
Acts 24:15; 1 Corinthians 15:22. {GC 544.2}

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 01:07 AM

What is sin?

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 06:00 AM

Yes, God's commands represent His will.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 08:54 AM

"The wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23[color=#000080]. While life is the inheritance of the righteous, death is the portion of the wicked. Moses declared to Israel: "I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil."

There is no contradiction here to what I said.
The first death is the penalty for sin.
"all mankind suffer the penalty of his transgression"

Without Christ that death would be final.
It is only through Jesus Christ that a resurrection was made possible.
Without Jesus taking our sins upon Himself and dying, all the "righteous living" would avail us nothing, for we've all sinned and deserve nothing more than death.

By Christ taking our sins upon Himself and dying on the cross, we can be JUSTIFIED -- with a record that says "no sins" stand against us. And Christ's merits written beside our name!

The choice is simple -- do we accept this matchless gift? And now live in the light of his righteousness, guided by His Word and by the Holy Spirit.
Or do we reject it and thus choose to remain in the kingdom of sin and death.

The first death is due to SIN -- no way can you deny that, all will suffer that death, BUT
Christ, by His death and resurrection unlocked that prison house, thus there is a resurrection: a resurrection unto life and a resurrection unto damnation. See John 5:26

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 09:11 AM

I have not denied that the first death is caused by sin. But that is not what Romans 6:23 is talking about as confirmed by EGW. All will rise again. And yes, there is a distinction between the resurrections. I'll leave EGW's comment state as it is written.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 09:19 AM

I have not denied that the first death is caused by sin. But that is not what Romans 6:23 is talking about as confirmed by EGW. All will rise again. And yes, there is a distinction between the resurrections. I'll leave EGW's comment state as it is written.

Not all will rise again, but I suppose this is a mere technicality. Carry on.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 10:13 AM

Not all will rise again, but I suppose this is a mere technicality. Carry on.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Quoting EGW: "All alike go down into the grave. And through the provisions of the plan of salvation, all are to be brought forth from their graves." I was quoting EGW, though I understand your technicality. Carry on.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 03:46 PM

As I've said before, perhaps in other places or to other people, Ellen White was not a lawyer. She had an affinity to the use of superlatives to make a point. Don't let those superlatives fool you. You need to look at what else she says on the topic, in spite of them.

I saw that the slave master [SEE APPENDIX.] will have to answer for the soul of his slave whom he has kept in ignorance; and the sins of the slave will be visited upon the master. God cannot take to heaven the slave who has been kept in ignorance and degradation, knowing nothing of God or the Bible, fearing nothing but his master's lash, and holding a lower position than the brutes. But He does the best thing for him that a compassionate God can do. He permits him to be as if he had not been, while the master must endure the seven last plagues and then come up in the second resurrection and suffer the second, most awful death. Then the justice of God will be satisfied. {EW 276.1}

As you can see, I'm quoting Ellen White. I tend to think, if some of the slaves will not rise again on account of their poor quality of life and lack of education in things eternal, culminating in a lack of opportunity to make a conscience-driven choice, there may be others whom God does not choose to raise up again as well for similar reasons.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 04:00 PM

Thank you, Green. You are actually here answering a question I have asked you before. Now I know where you stand.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 04:37 PM

Green - I know the quotes. Carry on...

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 07:36 PM

Jesus commanded capital punishment and war. These commands represent His will. King Saul refused to obey and Jesus punished him. Samuel hacked and hewed King Agag to pieces in obedience to Jesus' command.

Re: Do God's Commands Represent His Will? - 03/03/14 07:38 PM

"He permits him to be as if he had not been,"

Green, we've been through this before. Can you also find where it says the wicked will be as if they had not been?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church