Should Seventh-day Adventists every take up arms?

Posted By: APL

Should Seventh-day Adventists every take up arms? - 12/12/15 02:00 AM

A new movie is apparently being to be released in 2016 on the story of Desmond Doss, and Seventh-day Adventist awarded the Metal of Honor for serving in the U.S. Army during World War II as a conscientious objector. Doss never took up arms.

Is it ever right for a Seventh-day Adventist to take up arms?

Posted By: JAK

Re: Should Seventh-day Adventists every take up arms? - 12/12/15 02:32 AM

Each to their own conscience, but I would have no problem with being part of any aspect of military service, from dish washer to SEAL Team 6.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Should Seventh-day Adventists every take up arms? - 12/12/15 03:11 AM

I've frequently said that for most every war America has fought in the last century, I would not have chosen to bear arms, with the exception of one: World War II. WWII was, from America's standpoint, a righteous war if ever there was one. Hitler stood to gain all of Europe apart from America's help, and this would have gone against Biblical prophecies. God seems to have wanted America to be involved, and though many Americans started off marching in the streets for peace, brought things around to where they were willing to go to war.

If the war is for a righteous cause, I see no problem with a Seventh-day Adventist bearing arms. I agree with JAK, actually, that every Adventist should be at liberty to follow his own conscience on the matter.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: JAK

Re: Should Seventh-day Adventists every take up arms? - 12/12/15 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
If the war is for a righteous cause,

All wars are for a "righteous cause"

Whether you are ISIS fighting a holy jihad or the US helping God fulfill his prophecy, you think your cause is just.
Posted By: Rick H

Re: Should Seventh-day Adventists every take up arms? - 12/12/15 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: APL
A new movie is apparently being to be released in 2016 on the story of Desmond Doss, and Seventh-day Adventist awarded the Metal of Honor for serving in the U.S. Army during World War II as a conscientious objector. Doss never took up arms.

Is it ever right for a Seventh-day Adventist to take up arms?

Each one has to decide for themselves, I would go with Desmond and save rather than destroy lives.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Should Seventh-day Adventists every take up arms? - 12/18/15 06:30 PM

Does anybody know where the SDA Church officially speaks against bearing arms?
Posted By: kland

Re: Should Seventh-day Adventists every take up arms? - 12/18/15 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I've frequently said that for most every war America has fought in the last century, I would not have chosen to bear arms, with the exception of one: World War II. WWII was, from America's standpoint, a righteous war if ever there was one. Hitler stood to gain all of Europe apart from America's help, and this would have gone against Biblical prophecies. God seems to have wanted America to be involved, and though many Americans started off marching in the streets for peace, brought things around to where they were willing to go to war.
So it's good to fight in a war if it is to help God out?

Isn't that what Ellen White says in the last days that people will rise against the saints thinking to help God out? Isn't that what the Papacy did in the past?
Posted By: APL

Re: Should Seventh-day Adventists every take up arms? - 12/19/15 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl
Does anybody know where the SDA Church officially speaks against bearing arms?
For a history of the SDA position on war, see: http://circle.adventist.org/files/jae/en/jae200870030407.pdf

It is amazing to see how quickly SDAs today throw away the principles of Christ.

Edit: another article looking at Adventist History and military service: https://pacificador99.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/sda-militarism.pdf
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church