I would appreciate your help and advice.

Posted By: Mountain Man

I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/09/06 06:54 PM

Please, I need your help and advice. I had a phone conversation with someone the other day and we spoke about Christian standards and salvation. The brother I was speaking with began to question me about my lifestyle.

He wanted to know if I followed the laws of health as defined in the Bible and the SOP. I told him that I do. Then he asked if I eat meat, and I told him about the time, several years ago, that I ate a small portion of my non-Christian biological brother’s turkey on Thanksgiving so as not to offend him. I also told him that I eat chocolate and ice cream several times per month.

Upon learning these things about me he became agitated and vehemently told me that I am not a true Christian and that I am going to hell, and that because I am a minister of the gospel I will suffer longer for my sins in the lake of fire. I pleaded with him to show me from the Bible or the SOP where eating clean meat, chocolate, and ice cream are sins. He promised that he would email me the necessary quotes.

The following posts are the results of our continued correspondence. I would greatly appreciate your help and advice as to how to process it. Thank you.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/09/06 06:55 PM

Dear Brother ****,

I hope this email finds you rejoicing in sweet Jesus!

I'd like to follow up on something we spoke about the other day. You indicated you weren't sure if you would be translated alive if Jesus were to return right now because you are still working on overcoming an impatience problem.

Here's my question: Do you think you be raised in the first resurrection if you were to die before overcoming your impatience problem?

Blessings, Mike

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/09/06 06:56 PM

Hi Mike,

I believe that if I were to die today I would come forth in the first resurrection. Steps to Christ page sixty-four is one quote that comes to mind.

Would you please show me where the following series of points is incorrect? Please try to be specific:

“It is not the greatness of the act of disobedience that constitutes sin, but the fact of variance from God's expressed will in the least particular;” (MB 51) Point #1—variance from God’s expressed will in the least particular is sin.

“In ancient times God spoke to men by the mouth of prophets and apostles. In these days He speaks to them by the testimonies of His Spirit. There was never a time when God instructed His people more earnestly than He instructs them now concerning His will…” (4T 147, 148) Point #2—the writings of Ellen White are an _expression of God’s will.

The statement: “Not an ounce of flesh meat should enter our stomachs.” (CD 380) is a part of Ellen White’s writings. Point #3—since Ellen White’s writings are an _expression of God’s will, and CD 380 is a part of Ellen White’s writings, CD 380 is an _expression of God’s will.

Point #4—since variance from God’s expressed will in the least particular is sin, and CD 380 is an _expression of God’s will, variance from CD 380 is sin.

I will be praying for you.

Sincerely, ****

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/09/06 06:57 PM

Dear Brother ****

You wrote the following, “I believe that if I were to die today I would come forth in the first resurrection. Steps to Christ page sixty-four is one quote that comes to mind.”

(The following was my response):

SC 64
There are those who have known the pardoning love of Christ and who really desire to be children of God, yet they realize that their character is imperfect, their life faulty, and they are ready to doubt whether their hearts have been renewed by the Holy Spirit. To such I would say, Do not draw back in despair. We shall often have to bow down and weep at the feet of Jesus because of our shortcomings and mistakes, but we are not to be discouraged. Even if we are overcome by the enemy, we are not cast off, not forsaken and rejected of God. No; Christ is at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Said the beloved John, "These things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." 1 John 2:1. And do not forget the words of Christ, "The Father Himself loveth you." John 16:27. He desires to restore you to Himself, to see His own purity and holiness reflected in you. And if you will but yield yourself to Him, He that hath begun a good work in you will carry it forward to the day of Jesus Christ. Pray more fervently; believe more fully. As we come to distrust our own power, let us trust the power of our Redeemer, and we shall praise Him who is the health of our countenance. {SC 64.1}

“And if you will but yield yourself to Him …” Here is what she wrote about “yielding” a few pages before the quote you posted:

SC 33
Every act of transgression, every neglect or rejection of the grace of Christ, is reacting upon yourself; it is hardening the heart, depraving the will, benumbing the understanding, and not only making you less inclined to yield, but less capable of yielding, to the tender pleading of God's Holy Spirit. {SC 33.2}

SC 43
The warfare against self is the greatest battle that was ever fought. The yielding of self, surrendering all to the will of God, requires a struggle; but the soul must submit to God before it can be renewed in holiness. {SC 43.3}

SC 48
Through the right exercise of the will, an entire change may be made in your life. By yielding up your will to Christ, you ally yourself with the power that is above all principalities and powers. You will have strength from above to hold you steadfast, and thus through constant surrender to God you will be enabled to live the new life, even the life of faith. {SC 48.1}

Do you believe that born again believers who have yielded their will to Jesus will be guilty of committing known sins while they are abiding in Him?

Also, do you believe, in light of the following quotes, that Jesus will change our unconquered defective traits of character when He returns?

4T 429
The characters formed in this life will determine the future destiny. When Christ shall come, He will not change the character of any individual. {4T 429.2}

COL 307
By the marriage is represented the union of humanity with divinity; the wedding garment represents the character which all must possess who shall be accounted fit guests for the wedding. {COL 307.1}

COL 314
He who becomes a partaker of the divine nature will be in harmony with God's great standard of righteousness, His holy law. This is the rule by which God measures the actions of men. This will be the test of character in the judgment. {COL 314.2}

COL 330
All righteous attributes of character dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole, and every one who receives Christ as a personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. {COL 330.2}

COL 331
Let no one say, I cannot remedy my defects of character. If you come to this decision, you will certainly fail of obtaining everlasting life. The impossibility lies in your own will. If you will not, then you can not overcome. The real difficulty arises from the corruption of an unsanctified heart, and an unwillingness to submit to the control of God. {COL 331.2}

Blessings, Mike

PS – I will address the other questions you asked in my next email.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/09/06 07:01 PM

Dear Brother ****

You asked the following questions:

“Would you please show me where the following series of points is incorrect? Please try to be specific:

“It is not the greatness of the act of disobedience that constitutes sin, but the fact of variance from God's expressed will in the least particular;” (MB 51) Point #1—variance from God’s expressed will in the least particular is sin.”

I agree.

“In ancient times God spoke to men by the mouth of prophets and apostles. In these days He speaks to them by the testimonies of His Spirit. There was never a time when God instructed His people more earnestly than He instructs them now concerning His will…” (4T 147, 148) Point #2—the writings of Ellen White are an __expression of God’s will.

I agree.

The statement: “Not an ounce of flesh meat should enter our stomachs.” (CD 380) is a part of Ellen White’s writings. Point #3—since Ellen White’s writings are an __expression of God’s will, and CD 380 is a part of Ellen White’s writings, CD 380 is an __expression of God’s will.

I agree.

Point #4—since variance from God’s expressed will in the least particular is sin, and CD 380 is an __expression of God’s will, variance from CD 380 is sin.

I disagree. It is not a sin to eat clean meat unless it specifically says so in the Bible or the SOP. Obviously, if possible, not eating clean meat is best, but eating it is not a sin. Please show me where she clearly says eating clean meat is a sin.

Nowhere, that I know of, does she contradict the Bible. The Bible nowhere says eating clean meat is a sin. Therefore, I doubt there is a passage where she contradicts the Bible on this issue.

“Sin is the transgression of the law.” Sister White supports this definition of sin. Again, nowhere in the Bible is eating clean meat considered a sin. The law of God spells out in great detail exactly which animals can be eaten without becoming guilty of sinning. It was not considered the ideal diet back then. It was a compromise on God’s part. It is even less ideal today. But nowhere is it deemed a sin to eat clean meat.

Blessings, Mike

PS – I am waiting for your response to the questions I asked. Also, I am waiting for your response to the article on the history of the meat eating in the SDA church. Thank you.

Link to history of meat eating:

http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates$fn=default.htm$vid=default

MR852 - Manuscript Release No. 852: The Development of Adventist Thinking on Clean and Unclean Meats (1981)

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/09/06 07:01 PM

Dear Mike,

I am sorry, but I won’t be corresponding with you any longer. I wish I could help you, but at this point it is obvious you don’t want the kind of help that I believe you need.

With much sadness, ****

P.S.—It is not your questions to me that have caused me to discontinue. (Actually, I appreciate your questions—they cause me to both think and search.) It is your clinging to your low standards that causes me to discontinue.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/09/06 07:02 PM

Dear Mike,

Greater reforms should be seen among the people who claim to be looking for the soon appearing of Christ. Health reform is to do among our people a work which it has not yet done. There are those who ought to be awake to the danger of meat eating, who are still eating the flesh of animals, thus endangering the physical, mental, and spiritual health. Many who are now only half converted on the question of meat eating will go from God's people to walk no more with them. {CD 382.1}

It would be poor policy to support from the treasury of God those who really mar and injure His work, and who are constantly lowering the standard of Christianity. {3T 553.2}

From reading your posts and **** sharing with me your conversation with him, I find it very depressing to think of you as a minister, supposedly calling people to a higher standard. You cannot call people to a higher standard than you yourself have, which is not very high…the sad part is, you have the same Spirit of Prophecy books that we have, and if the Holy Spirit hasn’t been able to convince you that meat eating, ring wearing, eating ice-cream and chocolate are sin from the Spirit of Prophecy, there isn’t anything else we could do…

We learned long ago, as I posted on **** that when we meet a minister (SDA) who is not teaching and LIVING the health message, I have no desire to listen to ANYTHING else he might say…because I KNOW that he himself is not right with God and has nothing to offer me. I know you will think that is critical and unkind, but I’m sorry…I believe it 100%.

I want to become friends Mike, with those who want to follow God all the way, not just part of the way. I feel as you are a very dangerous minister…Why? Because you come off as a “nice guy”, friendly, warm, etc. That gets peoples guard down… Then you feed them these “lower the standard” lines…yet at the same time, you tell them you believe in high standards and over-coming…but in practice, you don’t…very deceptive….

If you ever get convicted of following God all the way, then we would like to pursue a friendship with you…but if you continue on how you are now…well, “How can two walk together except they be agreed?” We are NOT coming your way…so there would be nothing but friction…unless you come our way. We don’t have time to argue about these things…we are out to find people who are wanting to follow God with all their hearts, and don’t want to waste time with those who want to hang on to their sins. I know that sounds cold and hard, but it is the truth…I believe you want to hang on to and justify your course of continuing to do the things we are counseled not to do. I’m sorry, Mike…there isn’t any point in us discussing anything….

It would be different Mike, if you were a new SDA who hasn’t read the SOP, and didn’t know what they were getting baptized into, but that is not the case. You are a shepherd for the church. You of all people should have the highest standards. Instead you are trying to convince me, a sheep, that my standards are too high, that yours are right. Thanks, but no thanks, Mike. If you ever allow the Holy Spirit to convict you of sin, before it is too late, please contact us. We hope and pray you do….

Sincerely, (brother ****’s wife)
Posted By: Will

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/10/06 03:19 AM

Mike,
We have had our disagreemens on these things before, but I find that no one will be able to live up to anyones standards.
With that said you have Bible evidence and SOP evidence to support the position that eating clean meants will not result in you losing your salvation. Its a goodidea to not be eating meat in today's condition, but the same can be said for vegetables, and nutrient deficient soil which may cause unwanted bacteria to grow on these plants, and also not to mention the GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) vegetables that contain animal genes, the list goes on and on.
If this person claims to be so specialized in reading the SOP then why did he not question Jesus Christ's decision to feed the 5,000 bread and fish? My words may fail to do justice, but this is not an issue at all, and Iwouldn't allow this person to try and shake your faith because you ate a thanksgiving turkey, and had some icecream...big deal.
if you sold people out for a bite to eat, and had no self-control and delighted in temporal things such as Easau who sold his birthright for a morsel of food which illustrates he had no control, not that it was eating itself.
I hope you are Ok.
God Bless,
Will
Posted By: Redfog

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/10/06 04:11 AM

I would submit that the problem is not with you MM but with the judgemental attitude of your friend. How sad it is that some people are like this. It might be that the best you can do is pray for him.

Redfog
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/10/06 02:02 PM

Mike,

I agree with Will and Redfog. Nothing you might say would change this person's opinion. I guess the best you can do is leave it at that.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/10/06 08:53 PM

Having recently studied the later parts of Romans, it appears to me that this is a textbook case of what Paul is addresing in chapter 14.

13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

Read the entire chapter as I just quoted parts for the sake of space.
It appears to me that while it is ok for you to eat chocolate and turkey, it would be sinfull for the couple youve had contact with, and you better stay vegan while eating in their company. I would have sent this chapter to them had I been in the conversation though it would likely not have had any more effect than what you sent them.
If you find out a way to reach these people, Id be interested to know how it goes.

/Thomas

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/11/06 05:56 PM

Thank you, everyone, for the advice and encouragement. Even though I disagree with their ideas on diet and salvation it is still hard to cope with being told I am not a Christian and that I am going to hell for eating clean meat, ice cream, and chocolate. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Again, thank you.

By the way, how would you counter their use of the SOP? I agree with Rosangela that they will most likely never change their minds about it, but is it right to draw the conclusions they did by stringing quotes together like they did?

In other words, is it okay to conclude that it is a "sin" to eat meat because Sister White wrote 1) meat shouldn't enter our mouth, 2) her counsel represents the will of God, and 3) it is a sin to violate the will of God in even the smallest detail? Is that a valid method?

Thomas, I agree that we should be careful not to offend weaker Christians by eating things they are convinced is a sin. But I wonder how this principle applies in the case of people who are seasoned, well-read Christians? What do you think?
Posted By: Tom

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/11/06 08:33 PM

Quote:

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Very punny, MM. But shouldn't the ice cream leave a good taste in your mouth?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/11/06 09:19 PM

Mike asked:
"By the way, how would you counter their use of the SOP? I agree with Rosangela that they will most likely never change their minds about it, but is it right to draw the conclusions they did by stringing quotes together like they did? "

-Insist that the conversation go Scripture only. If the case cannot be made by scripture alone its not a salvation issue IMO.

Mike asked:
Thomas, I agree that we should be careful not to offend weaker Christians by eating things they are convinced is a sin. But I wonder how this principle applies in the case of people who are seasoned, well-read Christians? What do you think?

-Mike, nothing new under the sun. Dont you think this is somewhat similar to Pauls first letter to Corinth (third chapter)? Adressing people who ought to know better but who obviously do not. Also, legalism isnt all that new either. Consider this:

Romans 3:
19Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

and also

Romans 14:4
Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

/Thomas
Posted By: asygo

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/12/06 07:41 PM

Just have time for a quickie.

Quote:

it is still hard to cope with being told I am not a Christian

I think this is something all true Christians must get used to. Jesus suffered the same thing, so we shouldn't expect any better.

Quote:

going to hell for eating clean meat, ice cream, and chocolate

As was posted already, the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking. In fact, there are some verses where Jesus and Paul strongly imply that what we eat is not a moral issue in itself.

But the motives for eating, or not eating, is a moral issue. Here are some inspired statements (paraphrased):
  • Whether we eat or drink, do all to the glory of God.
  • True temperance teaches us to abstain from that which is unhealthful and to use judiciously that which is healthful.
  • Make no provision for the flesh.
  • Walk in the Spirit and you will not walk in the flesh.

Here is the question: When you eat the meat, ice cream, chocolate, ..., do you do it to glorify God or to gratify self? The answer to this will determine your eternal destiny.

Here's the question for your friends: When you don't eat the meat, ice cream, chocolate, ..., do you do it to exalt God or to exalt self?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/12/06 09:57 PM

What does it mean to glorify God by eating ice cream? (I'm in favor of this, by the way).

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/12/06 10:53 PM

Quote:

What does it mean to glorify God by eating ice cream?

I believe it means eating ice cream in order to reveal Christ's character in our own.

If what you're really getting at is how that's done, someone else will have to tackle that, since I have no clue (a common experience for me).
Posted By: Daryl

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/13/06 12:13 AM

I guess it isn't as much what you eat as to why you eat it.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/13/06 03:28 AM

Quote:

I guess it isn't as much what you eat as to why you eat it.

The why has always been more important than the what. But the what has a significant impact on how well one can develop the why.

So, while there will be many meat-eaters in Heaven and many vegans in the Lake of Fire, meat-eating will eventually be forsaken by those who are waiting for translation.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/13/06 05:16 AM

What does it mean to glorify God by eating ice cream?

I believe it means eating ice cream in order to reveal Christ's character in our own.

Ok. I'm for that too.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/13/06 05:44 AM

Quote:

By the way, how would you counter their use of the SOP? ...is it right to draw the conclusions they did by stringing quotes together like they did? ... Is that a valid method?

This method can be called "stringing together quotes" or it can be called "deductive logic." The difference lies in one's agreement with the conclusion.

The method is perfectly valid. We use this all the time to prove all sorts of things (e.g. validity of God's law, Sabbath observance, immortality of the soul, ...). You take lines and precepts, then synthesize them into a reasonable picture of reality.

What needs to be questioned is the soundness of the argument. First, articulate every premise in the argument, including the unspoken ones. Then, analyze each premise to see if they are all understood correctly and if they are true. Finally, see if the premises logically lead to the conclusion. (This is easier said than done, as attested to by the oft-misused claim that "such-and-such a belief logically leads to such-and-such a conclusion." There is often an unspoken belief/premise that is not analyzed, and therefore makes both the argument and its refutation less than palatable.)

My take on this particular argument is that it is not sound because it does not take into account the role of motives. Another possibility is that it assumes the motives. Either way, it fails to address the most damning aspect of sin.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/13/06 07:11 AM

A big problem I see with the argument is the picture it paints of God's character. It presents Him who is petty and arbitrary. Or so it seems to me.

It's true that the argument falls short because it doesn't consider our motives. But is also falls short because it does not consider God's motives. What is it God really wants? People who are like Jesus Christ in character, or people who eat just the right thing, who tithe mint, who strain out gnats? Didn't we already see what type of behavior this leads to? Not people who love God, but people who hate Him and would kill Him given the chance, while all the while professing to be God's greatest representatives on earth.

Actually to be clear, what Jesus said was that they should not leave the one undone while doing the other, where the one is doing the small things and the other is, I think, justice, mercy and faith. Jesus revealed a God with wonderful motives. God's motive is that we be healed; that by not frustraing His grace we will be made like Jesus. If we concentrate on the big things (e.g. understanding God's character by beholding it in Jesus Christ) the little things will take care of themselves. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you."

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/13/06 03:14 PM

This discussion reminds me of a story I heard many years ago of a SDA who said that eating meat was a sin. Then someone told him, "Jesus ate meat", to which he replied, "Jesus didn't have as much light as we have today".

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 12:11 AM

Quote:

falls short because it does not consider God's motives. What is it God really wants? ... God's motive is that we be healed; that by not frustraing His grace we will be made like Jesus.

I agree. Actually, that was one of my unspoken premises. God's goal is to restore in us His moral image, which sin has marred and well-nigh obliterated.

If we will cooperate with Him in molding our character into His likeness, the rest will be fine. Clean the inside of the cup and the outside will also be clean.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 12:20 AM

Quote:

Clean the inside of the cup and the outside will also be clean.

As long as it's not defiled by ice cream.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 03:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Clean the inside of the cup and the outside will also be clean.

As long as it's not defiled by ice cream.

Depends why the ice cream is there. Fix the root and the fruit will inevitably follow.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 04:09 AM

Quote:

"Jesus didn't have as much light as we have today"

Sounds like there's some confusion regarding the Lesser Light and its relation to the Source of all light.

Quote:

No other light has shone, or ever will shine, upon the intellect of sinful, fallen man, save that which was, and is, communicated through Him who is the light of the world. {RH, April 8, 1873 par. 16}

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 04:21 AM

Quote:

I agree that we should be careful not to offend weaker Christians by eating things they are convinced is a sin. But I wonder how this principle applies in the case of people who are seasoned, well-read Christians?

"Seasoned and well-read" does not necessarily mean "not weak." One can spend 3.5 years in close contact with Christ, and still be a weak Christian, or even be un-Christian.

In cases of preference, we should never offend. Paul said he would give up meat if it meant avoiding being a stumbling block. We should be just as ready to forsake our preferences for the benefit of a single soul.

In cases of principle, we should never compromise. If peace can be gained only by compromising truth, then let there be war. We should be ready to lay down our lives for principle, because we might soon be called upon to do so.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 05:47 AM

Quote:

Depends why the ice cream is there. Fix the root and the fruit will inevitably follow.

I think you got it. The ice cream is there for the fruit.

(Arnold, I'm agreeing with; just having fun.)

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 06:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think you got it. The ice cream is there for the fruit.

(Arnold, I'm agreeing with; just having fun.)

Great idea! Now, if you can find me hotdogs with fruit...
Posted By: DenBorg

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 06:11 AM

What does your friend think of the fact that Jesus Himself ate meat?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 05:38 PM

If eating meat, ice cream, and chocolate is indeed a sin then the motive for not eating it would, at least, include not wanting to sin. And the motives for not wanting to sin could include fear of retribution (now [disease] and later [dying in the lake of fire]) and/or a desire to be in heaven with Jesus.

SC 21, 22
Oh, let us contemplate the amazing sacrifice that has been made for us! Let us try to appreciate the labor and energy that Heaven is expending to reclaim the lost, and bring them back to the Father's house. Motives stronger, and agencies more powerful, could never be brought into operation; the exceeding rewards for right-doing, the enjoyment of heaven, the society of the angels, the communion and love of God and His Son, the elevation and extension of all our powers throughout eternal ages--are these not mighty incentives and encouragements to urge us to give the heart's loving service to our Creator and Redeemer? {SC 21.3}

And, on the other hand, the judgments of God pronounced against sin, the inevitable retribution, the degradation of our character, and the final destruction, are presented in God's word to warn us against the service of Satan. {SC 21.4}

Knowing whether or not it is a sin to eat this or that is critical to our salvation. Doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do is motive enough, isn't it?

Not wanting to lose out on heaven and not wanting to end up in the lake of fire are good motives for obeying Jesus, aren't they? Or, are they selfish and self-serving motives? If so, why, then, did Sister White list them?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 05:44 PM

I didn't ask them what they think of Jesus eating meat while He was here. I suspect they would say something to the effect - Meat eating was never the ideal diet, but when better food isn't readily available then eating meat becomes a necessary evil.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 06:04 PM

Eating meat in Jesus' time wasn't as bad as eating meat now because the animals weren't as diseased.

An interesting question would be if Jesus came in our time, with animals in the state they are now, would Jesus eat a small portion of meat in order not to offend his brother. Or eat ice cream.

We see from the Gospel record that Jesus had a reputation, from some who were looking at things to get him with, of being a glutton and winebibber. It's not clear if this is based on any actual behavior on Jesus' part or if it was just guilt by association, because He hung out with tax-collectors and other sinners.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/14/06 10:19 PM

Some other (difficult) things to think about.

1) The priests in the temple were required to eat meat

2) Jesus could have multiplied some fruit, or He could have multiplied just the bread and not the fish.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/15/06 08:26 PM

MH 302
If milk is used, it should be thoroughly sterilized; with this precaution, there is less danger of contracting disease from its use. Butter is less harmful when eaten on cold bread than when used in cooking; but, as a rule, it is better to dispense with it altogether. Cheese is still more objectionable; it is wholly unfit for food. {MH 302.1}

MH 320, 321
Those who live in new countries or in poverty-stricken districts, where fruits and nuts are scarce, should not be urged to exclude milk and eggs from their dietary. It is true that persons in full flesh and in whom the animal passions are strong need to avoid the use of stimulating foods. Especially in families of children who are given to sensual habits, eggs should not be used. But in the case of persons whose blood-making organs are feeble,--especially if other foods to supply the needed elements cannot be obtained,--milk and eggs should not be wholly discarded. Great care should be taken, however, to obtain milk from healthy cows, and eggs from healthy fowls, that are well fed and well cared for; and the eggs should be so cooked as to be most easily digested. {MH 320.1}

The diet reform should be progressive. As disease in animals increases, the use of milk and eggs will become more and more unsafe. An effort should be made to supply their place with other things that are healthful and inexpensive. The people everywhere should be taught how to cook without milk and eggs, so far as possible, and yet have their food wholesome and palatable. {MH 320.2}

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/15/06 08:30 PM

Has the time come yet to adopt a vegan diet? Or, are we still waiting for that time to come?

CD 204, 205
The time will come when milk cannot be used as freely as it is now used; but the present time is not the time to discard it. And eggs contain properties which are remedial agen-cies in counteracting poisons. And while warnings have been given against the use of these articles of diet in families where the children were addicted to, yes, steeped in, habits of self-abuse; yet we should not consider it a denial of principle to use eggs of hens which are well cared for and suitably fed. {CD 204.4}

CD 206
The time will come when we may have to discard some of the articles of diet we now use, such as milk and cream and eggs; but my message is that you must not bring yourself to a time of trouble beforehand, and thus afflict yourself with death. Wait till the Lord prepares the way before you. {CD 206.1}

CD 208
The time will come when we may have to discard some of the articles of diet we now use, such as milk and cream and eggs; but it is not necessary to bring upon ourselves perplexity by premature and extreme restrictions. Wait until the circumstances demand it, and the Lord prepares the way for it. {CD 208.1}

CD 349
Let the diet reform be progressive. Let the people be taught how to prepare food without the use of milk or butter. Tell them that the time will soon come when there will be no safety in using eggs, milk, cream, or butter, because disease in animals is increasing in proportion to the increase of wickedness among men. The time is near when, because of the iniquity of the fallen race, the whole animal creation will groan under the diseases that curse our earth. {CD 349.1}

CD 3551
Milk, eggs, and butter should not be classed with flesh meat. In some cases the use of eggs is beneficial. The time has not come to say that the use of milk and eggs should be wholly discarded. There are poor families whose diet consists largely of bread and milk. They have little fruit, and cannot afford to purchase the nut foods. In teaching health reform, as in all other gospel work, we are to meet the people where they are. Until we can teach them how to prepare health reform foods that are palatable, nourishing, and yet inexpensive, we are not at liberty to present the most advanced propositions regarding health reform diet. {CD 351.2}

CD 359
In all parts of the world provision will be made to supply the place of milk and eggs. And the Lord will let us know when the time comes to give up these articles. He desires all to feel that they have a gracious heavenly Father who will instruct them in all things. The Lord will give dietetic art and skill to His people in all parts of the world, teaching them how to use for the sustenance of life the products of the earth. {CD 359.3}
Posted By: Darius

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/16/06 08:44 PM

It is so wonderful to be able to believe whatever we wish. It is much more wonderful that the Creator does not make His decisions based on what presumptuous humans believe. The one area in which He has predicated his actions on our actions we have chosen to ignore but we are busy in other insignificant areas.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/16/06 09:49 PM

Darius,

What may be insignificant to some may be significant to others, therefore, please respect this right accordingly.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/16/06 11:31 PM

That was not the sense in which I used that term, but I understand your concern. "Less significant" may have been more acceptable.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/17/06 12:40 AM

SO it appears that during the holidays (holy days?) season, the topic has shifted from sorrow over the fruits of a legalistic worldview to defending it.
When someone can show a bible scripture that says something is a sin in itself (as contrary to being a sin by going against what God is telling you individually trough your conciense), then we have something to talk about. If an extrabiblical source says something the bible says is OK is now a sin, do we then doubt the bible or the extrabiblical source?

Oh well..

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/17/06 03:35 AM

Quote:

If eating meat, ice cream, and chocolate is indeed a sin then the motive for not eating it would, at least, include not wanting to sin.

Not necessarily. It could include that motive, but it's not guaranteed. If A then B does not guarantee that If not A then not B.

Consider the fact that it was a sin to crucify Jesus. The Jewish rulers kept themselves from doing it many times, but were not necessarily motivated by the desire to avoid sin.

Quote:

And the motives for not wanting to sin could include fear of retribution (now [disease] and later [dying in the lake of fire]) and/or a desire to be in heaven with Jesus.

It could, but again, not necessarily. One could abstain from a multitude of sins because of the desire for human praise. The New Testament is replete with examples of this.

Quote:

Knowing whether or not it is a sin to eat this or that is critical to our salvation. Doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do is motive enough, isn't it?

The "right thing to do" is defined by God's will. If it is God's will that you eat a particular piece of (BLANK), then that is the right thing for you to do. If His will is that you leave it alone, then you had better leave it alone. Doing God's will is critical to salvation.

But getting back to the original point of this thread, you know better than any other human, including your friends, what God's will is for you. You have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb, not your friends'. Therefore, the Lamb is your Master; ask Him what He will have you to do. (Of course, the exception is if you are friends with a prophet who has messages from God to you.)

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/17/06 03:06 PM

My seatmate on the flight to San Francisco said it best. "It is blasphemous for humans to claim to know what decisions God is going to make." Why do we think we must make God's decisions for Him?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/17/06 07:52 PM

Quote:

"It is blasphemous for humans to claim to know what decisions God is going to make."

That's true in cases where God is silent.Where God has revealed His will, to remain ignorant of it is not blasphemous, but negligent.

Quote:

Why do we think we must make God's decisions for Him?

Because our characters are naturally in harmony with Satan's, we naturally want to be like the Most High. So, we like to put ourselves in God's seat.

Some people like to give requirements that God didn't give. Others like to remove requirements that God commands. Either way, it is the same problem of delusional self-exaltation. We would do well to realize that it is neither wise to call good evil, nor evil good. And since we cannot of ourselves reliably tell which is which, we should let God call the shots.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/17/06 08:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"It is blasphemous for humans to claim to know what decisions God is going to make."

That's true in cases where God is silent.Where God has revealed His will, to remain ignorant of it is not blasphemous, but negligent.

It is blasphemous to claim to know God's will for someone else. None of us knows all the facts so even where we think God has spoken we do not know the facts of the case as they relate to that individual.
Posted By: Jeff

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/17/06 09:56 PM

Quote:

It is blasphemous to claim to know God's will for someone else. None of us knows all the facts so even where we think God has spoken we do not know the facts of the case as they relate to that individual.

I agree except for some qualification. We tend to look on the outside of a person and try to apply our own conscience to other people’s actions without knowing what’s going on inside the person. That’s not a righteous judgment.

But there are some universal applications. For example it is ALWAYS a sin to commit adultery. It doesn’t matter who it is, or what the circumstances, it is always a sin to commit adultery. We might look at a couple’s relationship and assume it is adulterous, but unless we are privy to inside information, we’re just making an unrighteous judgment.

Jeff

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/17/06 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's true, except for prophets. It is the prophet's calling to know and express God's will for someone else. And though the prophet doesn't know all the facts about the individual's case, his duty is to deliver God's message anyway.

For the rest of us non-prophets, let's not take on a job for which we are unqualified.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/17/06 10:27 PM

Quote:

But there are some universal applications. For example it is ALWAYS a sin to ....

I agree. There are some universal standards. Without exception, we should never sacrifice our children to Molech.

But what about sacrificing our children to God? Abraham was commended for choosing to do just that.

There are universal standards, but our sight is poor. We need some eyesalve.

If I can pick one universal to go by, I'd go with this: He who has the Son of God has life; he who has not the Son of God has not life.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/17/06 10:45 PM

Quote:

Has the time come yet to adopt a vegan diet? Or, are we still waiting for that time to come?

For me, the time came a while back. God showed me that a diet with animal products was not the best one available to me and my family. God had already prepared the way for me by having me live in a place where a vegan diet was possible. The hardest part was the sacrifice of personal preferences. (Having raised me on a hotdog diet, my mother is still not quite convinced that I eat vegetables now.)

Having gotten past the initial hurdles, God continues to prepare the way by continuing the process of changing my tastes, and continually giving more light and knowledge in the proper preparation of food.

Is anyone out there still waiting for "the time" to come? Ask yourself this: What sign or event am I waiting for?

I know someone who said that God does not want him to control his massive appetite. He said that when God decides to have him exercise self-control, He will instantaneously take away his desire to eat too much as a sign. He's still waiting for his sign.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/17/06 11:09 PM

It's always amusing to find people who cannot run their own lives become experts at running other people's lives.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/18/06 12:35 AM

Quote:

It's always amusing to find people who cannot run their own lives become experts at running other people's lives.

Welcome back, Bro Darius. It's clear your incisive insights and your uncanny ability to share the depths of your understanding have remained unabated. I appreciate your valiant efforts to lead the rest of us into sanctification. May God bless you, and us.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/18/06 12:57 AM

I can't accept the accolade Bro. Go because it is God who sancitifies. I cannot lead anyone into sanctification. My only goal is to draw attention to the fact that we are off-track. I have no intention of doing the Creator's work for Him. He is able.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/18/06 01:39 AM

Quote:

it is God who sancitifies. I cannot lead anyone into sanctification.

I didn't intend to imply that you can sanctify any other man. Yes, it is God only Who sanctifies. But you are playing a significant role in that process, whether you know it or not.

Quote:

My only goal is to draw attention to the fact that we are off-track.

Error can be revealed only by the light of truth. If you want to accomplish your goal, you need to present God-given truth. It is better to shout out the truths of God than the errors of men.

By beholding, we are changed into the same image. Choose wisely what you behold.
Posted By: Claudia Thompson

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/18/06 04:45 AM

Mountain Man,

Hello, getting back to your original question, I just wanted to caution you.

For about the past 6 years events have led me to just eat whatever I wanted to thinking well tomorrow I will change.

Now I realize the foolishness of doing that and hopefully not too late. Now I understand why Ellen White kept saying that if we dont take care of ourselves, each time we do that, we are drawing upon our "emergency stash" so to speak.

Kind of like money in the bank... you make yourself a savings account by practicing right health habits, and each time you dont do that and you abuse your body in any way, later on, when you least expect it, you might have an injury or something else, and your body will desperately need all the forces you have stored up for such an emergency. But if you neglected to take care of yourself, then you will find your body to be bankrupt of that extra stored up energy you need to get you over the emergency.

This is what I am experiencing now. I absolutely regret not taking care of myself better. And if God tells us not to do something, we need to take it absolutely seriously, not only for our own body's good but also because anything we do to our body effects our minds and our ability to be spiritually perceptive.

Especially if you are a Pastor, I believe from what I have read, that you are doubly responsible to keep your mind and body in the very best condition possible so that you can have clear spiritual perception, since you are responsible for influencing others toward or away from obtaining eternal life.

If I were you I would think twice about what the guy said to you and dont allow it to offend you, but allow it to bring this to your attention, no matter how the guy said it... God may be trying to help you, and through you, others who you will influence.

Think of this, if you eat ice cream 3 times a month, and sister white says milk and sugar together have an even worse effect than meat does... that adds up to 1 tenth of your life that you are doing this to yourself. every 10 days. Thats alot. You are using up your emergency fund withot realizing it but some day you will reap what you have sown.
Meaning this as a friend, Bro, take it from one who has experienced this.

The Signs of the Times, March 2, 1882, paragraph 8
Article Title: Daniel a Temperance Reformer
Those who, like Daniel, refuse to defile themselves, will reap the reward of their temperate habits. With their greater physical stamina and increased power of endurance, they have a bank of deposit upon which to draw in case of emergency.

Counsels on Health, page 42, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: Essentials to Health
Adherence to a Simple Diet
If ever there was a time when the diet should be of the most simple kind, it is now. Meat should not be placed before our children. Its influence is to excite and strengthen the lower passions and has a tendency to deaden the moral powers. Grains and fruits prepared free from grease, and in as natural a condition as possible, should be the food for the tables of all who claim to be preparing for translation to heaven. The less feverish the diet, the more easily can the passions be controlled. Gratification of taste should not be consulted irrespective of physical, intellectual, or moral health.
Indulgence of the baser passions will lead very many to shut their eyes to the light; for they fear that they will see sins which they are unwilling to forsake. All may see if they will. If they choose darkness rather than light, their criminality will be none the less. Why do not men and women read and become intelligent upon these things, which so decidedly affect their physical, intellectual, and moral strength?-- Testimonies for the Church, vol. 2, p. 352 (1869).

What have such gained? Perhaps they have been able to keep the principal good, and add to it. But on the other hand, what have they lost? Their capital of health, which is invaluable to the poor as well as the rich, has been steadily diminishing. The mother and the children have made repeated drafts upon their fund of health and strength, thinking that such an extravagant expenditure would never exhaust their capital, until they are surprised at last to find their vigor of life exhausted. They have nothing left to draw upon in case of emergency. The sweetness and happiness of life are embittered by racking pains and sleepless nights. Both physical and mental vigor are gone. The husband and father who, for the sake of gain, made the unwise arrangement of his business, it may be with the full sanction of the wife and mother, may, as the result, bury the mother and one or more of the children. Health and life were sacrificed for the love of money. (Read 1 Timothy 6:10.)-- Testimonies for the Church, vol, 1, p. 478 (1865).
Posted By: Claudia Thompson

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/18/06 05:16 AM

Or to put it a little simpler... Your body should be viewed as a "Bank".

Each and every time you take good care of yourself and follow the health laws, you are adding to your savings account that you will be able to draw upon later on in an emergency.

Each and every time that you violate any of the health laws (makes no difference what your motive is)... you are withdrawing money from your account, your resources.

Then something comes along, and injury, the flu, whatever...and because you dont get a "Bank Statement" so that you can realize how high or how low your account is... nevertheless, if you dont have any extra left to draw upon, you are in deep trouble, and many times just before this happens you feel just fine, with no indication of the real dangerous state that your body is in.

Too late perhaps, you will realize your folly.

Claudia
Posted By: D R

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/22/06 05:27 AM

It is interesting that "we" put such emphasis on the physical body...What does the 350+ pound SDA member feel like when they read or hear this "works" message of "salvation through foods". Man, what would Christ offer us in message? Yes scripture does talk about the body being the temple...BUT has anyone figured out how to keep the body in perfect condition?
-If a person eats unclean meats, will they be condemned to Hell?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/22/06 05:46 AM

BBD,
Here's my take on it. The 350+ pound SDA will be aware of the health impact it can have on your heart, and joints i.e. knees, so they would be actively pursuing getting healthier, wouldn't you?
I recently made a major, I mean major overhaul in my diet, and this was because my immune system has been compromised due to high stress that was at a very high level fos several years. In the past 2 months I have been sick around 5 or 6 times, so its pretty bad.
I realized what the cause of it is, and have been making steady and strong progress, and I feel healthier, my mind is clearer, more endurance, and I have more energy.
My respiratory system kept on getting hit badly, and I had this cough cause my respiratory system was not healthy.
The foods of today are packaged for sheer consumption, and that comes at a cost..your health.
By eating right whichmeans lots of fruit, lots of water, lots of vitamin rich foods i.e. greens,sprouts,beans, and eliminating sugars and breads will make a trmendous difference.
My body is going through a detox because of the mycotoxins in my body that are dying off causes me to feel very edgy.
I dont want to die from a stupid flu. You know why the birds are dropping like flies from this "bird flu" which has been around as long as birds have been around? Its because of the pollution that has suppressed their immune systems, go figure. Its a viscious cycle.
I do this cause I want to be healthy, and we have a health message which is very powerful. Heck try it out for 10 days, Daniel did and he fared much better than the best of babylon
God Bless & Happy Sabbath,
Will

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/22/06 04:19 PM

Maybe birds die by one birdflu and not from another for the same reason that the black death took more than half of europes people in the middle ages while most people then as now survive chicken pox?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/22/06 06:48 PM

I think there are many strains running around of the bird flu, some manipulated, spliced and repackaged. I never had the chicken pox, but had the measles when I was a kid.
I read somewhere inthe news either bbc or something that 1 lady was diagnosed with the plague?!
God Bless,
Will

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/25/06 02:02 AM

Arnold and Claudia, I agree. The time is well nigh past for me to adopt a vegan diet and NEWSTART lifestyle. By the grace of God That's exactly what I am going to do. Not because I think it is a sin not to; but because I want to live a long and full life. I have given up eating my single scoop of ice cream several times a month. In its place I'll eat Tofuti.

PS - I thought we stopped allowing Darius to post on MSDAOL? The reasons he was banished in the first place still persist (see his past few posts). Are we going to have to put up with his unChristlike manners? I hope not.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 04/27/06 03:53 AM

Another thing we discussed (referring to the phone call mentioned at the beginning of this thread) is whether or not he would come up in the first resurrection if he died before overcoming his impatience problem. He said that he would come up in the first resurrection even if he does not overcome it. He also said that he would not be translated alive with it, that he would be lost if Jesus returned.

Do you agree? Does Jesus save the dead and the living based on two different standards?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/02/06 03:27 AM

Quote:

What does the 350+ pound SDA member feel like when they read or hear this "works" message of "salvation through foods".

Romans 14:7 says that "the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."

What will that member feel like when he reads this verse? It all depends on his purpose.

If his life revolves around eating and drinking, he's going to have problems with the kingdom of God. It will be torture to be "saved" from his food.

If his life revolves around righteousness and peace and joy, then food becomes merely a means to an end. He will eat in such a way as to increase his ability to achieve his goal.

Is this "salvation through foods"? It would seem so to those for whom food is the central issue. But in reality, it is "salvation from self." If we learn to deny self, the food becomes almost insignificant.

Quote:

BUT has anyone figured out how to keep the body in perfect condition?

We have not been called to physical perfection. Whether or not one has a perfect body is almost immaterial.

We have been called to character perfection. Address that and everything else - food, drink, health, etc. - all become means to glorify God.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/02/06 05:28 PM

Does Jesus save the dead and the living based on two different standards?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/02/06 05:46 PM

Quote:

The only necessity for salvation is to be lost. There is nothing that the one lost needs to do. "He shall save His people from their sins." It is all His act.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/02/06 07:46 PM

MM, are you talking about translation when you refer to saving the living?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/03/06 04:28 AM

Quote:

There is only one basis or standard for salvation - Christ's righteousness imputed to us through forgiving grace.

But the God-ordained way of determining who has partaken of His salvation is somewhat different - Christ's righteousness imparted to us through enabling grace. This is the basis of the judgment.

This holds true for all. The only difference may be in the level of maturity. But whether living or dead, overcoming all known sin is essential. And this overcoming must happen while still alive, because neither the grave nor Christ's return will modify character.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/03/06 06:10 AM

One often hears that the standard of judgment is the law. The law is simply a transcript of God's character. So this is just another way of saying that to God to heaven one must be in harmony with God. To know God is eternal life.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/03/06 05:20 PM

Tom, yes, I was referring to those who will be translated alive.

Arnold, I agree. Overcoming and obedience are the criteria upon which Jesus bases our eternal destiny in judgment.

FE 376
He who chooses a course of disobedience to God's law is deciding his future destiny; he is sowing to the flesh, earning the wages of sin, even eternal destruction, the opposite of life eternal. Submission to God and obedience to His holy law bring the sure result. "This is life eternal, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent." {FE 376.1}

LHU 348
The judgment will be conducted in accordance with the rules God has laid down. By the law which men are now called upon to obey, but which many refuse to accept, all will be judged. As by it character is tested, every man will find his proper place in one of two classes. He will either be holy to the Lord through obedience to His law, or be stained with sin through transgression. {LHU 348.3}

FW 43
None who have had the light of truth will enter the city of God as commandment-breakers. His law lies at the foundation of His government in earth and in heaven. If they have knowingly trampled upon and despised His law on the earth, they will not be taken to heaven to do the same work there; there is no change of character when Christ comes. {FW 43.2}

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/03/06 05:23 PM

In light of the quotes posted above I have another question: If we should die before our character defects are crucified will we come up in the first resurrection and go to heaven? Or, will Jesus change them when He returns?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/03/06 05:53 PM

These questions sadden me.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/03/06 05:58 PM

If you are asking if there is a difference between dying and being ready to be translated, the answer is yes.

Quote:

Says the prophet: "Who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth? for He is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: and He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and He shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness." Malachi 3:2, 3. Those who are living upon the earth when the intercession of Christ shall cease in the sanctuary above are to stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator. Their robes must be spotless, their characters must be purified from sin by the blood of sprinkling. Through the grace of God and their own diligent effort they must be conquerors in the battle with evil. While the investigative judgment is going forward in heaven, while the sins of penitent believers are being removed from the sanctuary, there is to be a special work of purification, of putting away of sin, among God's people upon earth. This work is more clearly presented in the messages of Revelation 14.
(GC 425)

Regarding whether God changes the character when Christ comes for the dead, the answer is no, but it should be born in mind that the character is not set by the occasional good deed or misdeed, but the general trend of the life. Really the simple question is if a given person would be happy in God's presence. If the answer is "yes," said person will be included in the first resurrection.

It is much more helpful, IMO, to consider this question from the standpoint of being in harmony with God and the principles of His government than to consider questions of behavior. The Pharisees may have appeared to be a good match for heaven on the basis of behavior, but they were never in harmony with God or His principles.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/03/06 06:04 PM

Quote:

The Pharisees may have appeared to be a good match for heaven on the basis of behavior, but they were never in harmony with God or His principles.

Therein lies the rub. Was the Pharisees' problem because they were rebellious or because they were misguided as to who the God is or what His/Her principles are?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/03/06 09:31 PM

Darius, is there such a thing as selfishness? If I’m on my way to something trivial, like to see a ballgame, and I see a person stranded on the side of the road, and it’s not in my heart to stop and help, is compassion not in my heart because I haven’t had the same opportunities to know God as well as the person who does stop to help? Or, is it not in my heart because I don’t WANT a fuller understanding of God.

Tom posted a thread about people’s metanarrative. I would love to know yours better. In mine, the limited view I get of your way makes the idea of God a game; purposeless. The only reason I gave up my agnosticism for Christianity is because the Great Controversy was the only Christian paradigm that made any sense.

To be honest, I see no free will in the logical conclusion of your paradigm. Without individual free will—the choice to do wrong, knowing full well that it is wrong, but doing it anyway because it’s what we’d rather do, or doing right, knowing what it will cost in worldly terms yet doing it anyway because it’s right—without that ability, we’re all not much more than robots at the end of it, which makes God a sadistic tyrant playing around with toys.

Jeff

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/03/06 09:33 PM

Choosing between two acts is different from choosing between two masters. Remember, we always do what we think is in our own best interest.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/03/06 10:41 PM

Quote:

Therein lies the rub. Was the Pharisees' problem because they were rebellious or because they were misguided as to who the God is or what His/Her principles are?

I would say they were rebellious because they were misguided as to God's character and principles.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/04/06 12:24 AM

Quote:

Choosing between two acts is different from choosing between two masters. Remember, we always do what we think is in our own best interest.

Only if you don't know the link between the act and master. And, I disagree that we ALWAYS do what we think is in our own best interest. Do we stop to help someone stranded because it benifits us? Or, do we stop because compassion causes us to think of someone else's best interest?

The self-interest theory works great when we exclude compassion as a motive.

Quote:

Joh 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Where's the self interest in that?

Jeff

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/04/06 04:58 AM

Tom, the GC 425 quote you posted, so far as character perfection is concerned, applies to the people resurrected in the first resurrection - right?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/04/06 06:02 AM

Quote:

If we should die before our character defects are crucified will we come up in the first resurrection and go to heaven? Or, will Jesus change them when He returns?

Self must be crucified before probation closes (individual or general). Christ's return will not change anything, only reveal what was already there.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/04/06 06:12 AM

Quote:

Their robes must be spotless, their characters must be purified from sin by the blood of sprinkling. Through the grace of God and their own diligent effort they must be conquerors in the battle with evil.

Doesn't this apply to all the saved, not just the translated ones?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/04/06 06:57 AM

MM, the quote I quoted was specifically referencing those who would be alive at Christ's coming. She spoke of a "special work" to be done for this purpose. She also referenced their need to stand before God without a mediator.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/04/06 06:03 PM

Arnold, I agree with you. Whether we are resurrected in the first resurrection or translated alive when Jesus returns we must be free of our former defective traits of character. Our old man habits of sinning must be crucified. Otherwise we cannot go to heaven with Jesus.

This is true in cases like the thief on the cross and the 144,000. There can be no difference. Whether we die the day we are born again or years later our characters must be pure and holy (same as the 144,000) to go to heaven. This insight indicates that we are cleansed from all unrighteousness the moment we are born again.

Tom, it appears that you disagree?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/04/06 09:56 PM

Hmmm. I thought I had posted something, but I don't see it. So I'll try again.

There is a difference between being ready to meet Christ at death and being ready to meet Him when He comes in the clouds of glory. This is traditional SDA thought, by the way. The reason for the difference is tied into Christ's mission as our Heavenly High Priest in the antitypical Day of Atonement. Understanding what Christ is doing now is key to the preparation needed to meet Him.

Quote:

The subject of the sanctuary and the investigative judgment should be clearly understood by the people of God. All need a knowledge for themselves of the position and work of their great High Priest. Otherwise it will be impossible for them to exercise the faith which is essential at this time or to occupy the position which God designs them to fill. (GC 488)

Please note that this statement is not true in regards to being ready to meet Christ at death. That is, we do not need to understand Christ's work in the Most Holy Place in order to meet Him at death. But we do need to understand it in order to meet Him when He comes in the clouds of glory.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/05/06 05:37 PM

Tom, here's how the GC 488 quote goes where you left off:

GC 488, 489
Every individual has a soul to save or to lose. Each has a case pending at the bar of God. Each must meet the great Judge face to face. How important, then, that every mind contemplate often the solemn scene when the judgment shall sit and the books shall be opened, when, with Daniel, every individual must stand in his lot, at the end of the days. {GC 488.2}

All who have received the light upon these subjects are to bear testimony of the great truths which God has committed to them. The sanctuary in heaven is the very center of Christ's work in behalf of men. It concerns every soul living upon the earth. It opens to view the plan of redemption, bringing us down to the very close of time and revealing the triumphant issue of the contest between righteousness and sin. It is of the utmost importance that all should thoroughly investigate these subjects and be able to give an answer to everyone that asketh them a reason of the hope that is in them. {GC 488.3}

The intercession of Christ in man's behalf in the sanctuary above is as essential to the plan of salvation as was His death upon the cross. By His death He began that work which after His resurrection He ascended to complete in heaven. We must by faith enter within the veil, "whither the forerunner is for us entered." Hebrews 6:20. There the light from the cross of Calvary is reflected. There we may gain a clearer insight into the mysteries of redemption. The salvation of man is accomplished at an infinite expense to heaven; the sacrifice made is equal to the broadest demands of the broken law of God. Jesus has opened the way to the Father's throne, and through His mediation the sincere desire of all who come to Him in faith may be presented before God. {GC 489.1}

Tom, are you absolutely sure you want to maintain Sister White taught that the sanctuary message does not need to be understood by post-1844 believers in order to be saved in the first resurrection? The context of her quote is "at this time", that is, as of when she wrote it in the mid-1800's. She also wrote about the people who rejected the sanctuary message in her time. They were left in the Holy Place worshipping Satan while the others followed Jesus into the Most Holy Place.

EW 43
The enemies of the present truth have been trying to open the door of the holy place, that Jesus has shut, and to close the door of the most holy place, which He opened in 1844, where the ark is, containing the two tables of stone on which are written the ten commandments by the finger of Jehovah. {EW 43.1}

EW 56
I turned to look at the company who were still bowed before the throne; they did not know that Jesus had left it. Satan appeared to be by the throne, trying to carry on the work of God. I saw them look up to the throne, and pray, "Father, give us Thy Spirit." Satan would then breathe upon them an unholy influence; in it there was light and much power, but no sweet love, joy, and peace. Satan's object was to keep them deceived and to draw back and deceive God's children. {EW 56.1}

EW 260, 261
Those who rejected the first message could not be benefited by the second; neither were they benefited by the midnight cry, which was to prepare them to enter with Jesus by faith into the most holy place of the heavenly sanctuary. And by rejecting the two former messages, they have so darkened their understanding that they can see no light in the third angel's message, which shows the way into the most holy place. I saw that as the Jews crucified Jesus, so the nominal churches had crucified these messages, and therefore they have no knowledge of the way into the most holy, and they cannot be benefited by the intercession of Jesus there. Like the Jews, who offered their useless sacrifices, they offer up their useless prayers to the apartment which Jesus has left; and Satan, pleased with the deception, assumes a religious character, and leads the minds of these professed Christians to himself, working with his power, his signs and lying wonders, to fasten them in his snare. {EW 260.1}

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/05/06 11:25 PM

Quote:

Tom, are you absolutely sure you want to maintain Sister White taught that the sanctuary message does not need to be understood by post-1844 believers in order to be saved in the first resurrection? The context of her quote is "at this time", that is, as of when she wrote it in the mid-1800's. She also wrote about the people who rejected the sanctuary message in her time. They were left in the Holy Place worshipping Satan while the others followed Jesus into the Most Holy Place.

People have been dying continually since 1844. Do you think everyone who will be a part of the first resurrection who has died since Christ began His work in the MHP would have been ready to be translated had Christ come during their lifetime? Let's start here, and we can move on from there.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/06/06 04:38 AM

I have a rather serious question. How is it that satan was in the Holy Place?
God Bless,
Will

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/08/06 07:09 PM

Tom, in answer to your question, yes, I believe everyone could have been ready for the return of Jseus shortly after the passing of 1844 or anytime since then. The latter rain is what will or would have readied the world for the return of Jesus anytime since 1844.

Will, here's Sister White's own comment on Satan being in the Holy Place:

EW 92, 93
I also stated that "Satan appeared to be by the throne, trying to carry on the work of God." I will give another sentence from the same page: "I turned to look at the company who were still bowed before the throne." Now this praying company was in this mortal state, on the earth, yet represented to me as bowed before the throne. I never had the idea that these individuals were actually in the New Jerusalem. Neither did I ever think that any mortal could suppose that I believed that Satan was actually in the New Jerusalem. But did not John see the great red dragon in heaven? Certainly. "And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns." Rev. 12:3. What a monster to be in heaven! Here seems to be as good a chance for ridicule as in the interpretation which some have placed upon my statements. {EW 92.2}

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/08/06 07:38 PM

MM, I also believe everyone could have been ready for the return of Jesus shortly after the passing of 1844, but that wasn't the question I asked. Here's the question I asked:

Quote:

People have been dying continually since 1844. Do you think everyone who will be a part of the first resurrection who has died since Christ began His work in the MHP would have been ready to be translated had Christ come during their lifetime?

Please answer *this* question. Just in case this isn't clear, I am asking if Jesus Christ had appeared say shortly after 1844, would these people who had never known or heard anything about Christ's work in the MHP have been ready to be translated (assuming they continued not knowing or hearing anything about Christ's work in the MHP)?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/09/06 07:31 AM

Tom, your assumption would not have been possible. The latter rain would have readied everyone for or against the seal of God. No one would have been uninformed or unprepared. They would have understood all the issues, especially including the sanctuary message. That's how it will be at the end of time and how it would have been back then.

Do you agree?

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/11/06 02:04 AM

MM, you're not answering the question I'm trying to ask. I'll keep trying though .

What I want to know is if you believe that those who are born again but are not familiar with Christ's work in the Most Holy Place are ready *as they are* to meet Christ and be translated. Without anything else needing to happen, like the falling of the latter rain upon them.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/15/06 07:11 PM

There are millions of people, born again or otherwise, who will be in heaven who did not understand the sanctuary message. But none of them were ready, as they were, to be translated alive.

But before you try to draw a conclusion based on this answer let me hasten to add that if these very same people were living at the end of time, during the little time of trouble (before probation closes), they would have embraced the 3AMs and would have been translated alive.

The basis upon which people are saved in heaven, whether they are resurrected or translated, is the same – moral fitness. However, not everyone who makes it to heaven had the same amount of intellectual knowledge of certain Bible doctrines while they were living on earth. But they were all “morally” born again in the eyes of Jesus.

Re: I would appreciate your help and advice. - 05/15/06 09:11 PM

It took so long to get this answer, I can't remember what my train of thought was. Basically I was trying to see if you make a distinction between those who are ready to die and meet Jesus and those who are ready to be translated. Finally I got the answer of "yes."

Ok, good. Let's proceed. First of all you state a principle that I wholeheartedly agree with, which must be understood, and that is that the righteous of all ages, had they been alive when Christ returns, would have received the final message which prepares them for His Coming. Similarly, any of the righteous would have boarded Noah's ark. Present truth changes from generation to generation, but God's people will always respond to it. So we agree on this point.

Let's move on to another point you raise. You say that it is not moral fitness which prepares for Christ's coming, but rather intellectual knowledge. I find it most perplexing that you think that it is intellectual knowledge which prepares us for Christ's coming. Before going further with this, I would first like to ascertain that I have understood the meaning of what you said correctly, especially this part:

Quote:

(N)ot everyone who makes it to heaven had the same amount of intellectual knowledge of certain Bible doctrines while they were living on earth.

Did I get your meaning correctly? The only difference between those who will be ready to meed Jesus for translation and those who die in the faith of Jesus is one of intellectual knowledge?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church