Imitation of Christ

Posted By: vastergotland

Imitation of Christ - 08/31/06 05:01 PM

Quote from Wikipedia
Quote:

The Imitation of Christ (or De imitatione Christi), by Thomas à Kempis is one of the most widely read Christian spiritual books in existence. It was first published anonymously, in Latin, ca. 1418; several other authors have been proposed, but Kempis's authorship is now generally accepted.

Imitation of Christ is considered the pearl of all the writings of the mystical German-Dutch school of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, and with the Confessions of Augustine and John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress it occupies a front rank, if not the foremost place, among useful manuals of devotion, after the Bible. Protestants and Roman Catholics alike join in giving it praise. The Jesuits give it an official place among their "exercises". John Wesley and John Newton put it among the works that influenced them at their conversion. General Gordon carried it with him to the battlefield.

Have any of you read this book? Comments please.THE IMITATION OF CHRIST
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Imitation of Christ - 08/31/06 05:55 PM

Thomas, I’m curious as to why Sister White never quoted Thomas Kempis.

Walking as Christ Walked. --Those who walk even as Christ walked, who are patient, gentle, kind, meek and lowly in heart, those who yoke up with Christ and lift His burdens, who yearn for souls as He yearned for them--these will enter into the joy of their Lord. They will see with Christ the travail of His soul, and be satisfied. Heaven will triumph, for the vacancies made in heaven by the fall of Satan and his angels will be filled by the redeemed of the Lord (RH May 29, 1900). {7BC 949.2}

The Imitation of Christ.--True religion is the imitation of Christ. Those who follow Christ will deny self, take up the cross, and walk in His footsteps. Following Christ means obedience to all His commandments. No soldier can be said to follow his commander unless he obeys orders. Christ is our model. To copy Jesus, full of love and tenderness and compassion, will require that we draw near to Him daily. O how God has been dishonored by His professed representatives (Letter 31a, 1894)! {7BC 949.3}
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Imitation of Christ - 08/31/06 06:00 PM

Good question. Anybody got an answere to that aswell?
Posted By: Avalee

Re: Imitation of Christ - 10/02/06 09:52 AM

The name of this book sounds so familar. I will have to check and see if it is an added download on e-Sword. That is where I am thinking I have it at. Not at home at the moment so cannot check.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Imitation of Christ - 10/04/06 02:36 PM

Quote:

Thomas, I’m curious as to why Sister White never quoted Thomas Kempis.

Most of the times Ellen White used an author's concepts or ideas, instead of quoting him word for word and mentioning the source.
As to this book, I have already read it, but it was so long ago I don't remember its content.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church