Daily Consecration

Posted By: Avalee

Daily Consecration - 04/18/08 10:05 PM

I have been reading Early Writings and have found many wonderful spiritual gems through out this blessed book. In the below quote all of it was a blessing but the part I bolded is the part that at this time has been a not only a reproof to me but a blessing. I want to reflect Jesus character and if I listen to gossip or spread gossip I will never reflect His character. Please pray for me that I will allow the Holy Spirit to work in me to overcome this sin when it comes around in its many forms.

Quote:
The Upward Look
Daily Consecration
Page 237

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph. 4:29

Consecration is a very simple thing. When brought daily into our individual life in practice, we shall know far more by consecration than by trusting to an experience. Each day, each hour, let the heart go out after God: "Here, Lord, am I, Thy property; take me, use me today. I lay all my plans at Thy feet; I will have no way of my own in the matter. My time is Thine; my whole life is Thine." Let the heart be constantly going forth to God for strength, for grace every moment.

Let not one evil word escape our lips, because our lips, our voice, belong to the Lord, and must be consecrated to the Lord and to His service. These lips must not dishonor Jesus, for they belong to Him. He has bought them and I must speak nothing that will offend Jesus. My ears must be closed to evil. Thus day by day we can consecrate ourselves to God. The ears must not be defiled by listening to any gossip that faultfinding ones would have us hear, for I not only cause them to sin in allowing them to talk of others' faults, but I sin myself in listening to them. I can prevent much evil speaking in thus having ears consecrated to God. I can say before the evil is done, "Let us pray," then ask God to enlighten both our minds to understand our true relation to one another and our true relation to God.

Let us open our hearts to Jesus with all the simplicity that a child would tell his earthly parents his perplexities and the things that trouble him. Thus we can restrain evil not only in ourselves but in others. Practice consecration to God daily; then there will be no danger in the life of service to God. We want gratitude brought into our life, words, and works.

Every word, every thought of complaining indulged in, is a reflection upon God, a dishonor to His name. We want our hearts attuned to His praise, full of thankfulness, talking of His love, our hearts softened and subdued by the grace of Christ, full of sweetness and peace and fragrance. We shall be patient, kind, tenderhearted, pitiful, courteous, even when dealing with those who are disagreeable. Oh, how many precious blessings we lose because we esteem self altogether too highly and have so little esteem for others. . . .

We must not demerit ourselves and lightly esteem the ability given us of God, neither should we overestimate our own importance and trust to our human ability.

Posted By: fun2believe

Re: Daily Consecration - 04/20/08 07:46 AM

I'm praying for you Avalee. I'm glad you have made the first step, you identified a problem in your life, and you've choosen to work on it. You've made a public notification of said problem, and clearly desire to stop the offending behavior. I think that's a great example for anybody, no matter what we may be personally struggling with. If we know the problem, and focus on it, we can overcome anything. Praise Be!
Posted By: Avalee

Re: Daily Consecration - 04/21/08 01:30 AM

Amen. I have always known it was a sin to spread gossip..be it true or false. However, I have never thought about it being a sin when I listen to other people say things. It is a sin even if I do not repeat what has been told to me.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Daily Consecration - 04/21/08 06:48 PM

Avalee, as a pastor I am often exposed to "gossip" in the form of some dear saint tattling on another soul. I learned a long time ago to stop them before they say too much. I tell them my ears are too senitive for certain details. I ask them to share just enough to pray for the person or problem. Most people appreciate and respect my request, although some are disappointed because they love telling the dirty details.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Daily Consecration - 04/28/08 03:40 PM

Quote:

My ears must be closed to evil. Thus day by day we can consecrate ourselves to God. The ears must not be defiled by listening to any gossip that faultfinding ones would have us hear, for I not only cause them to sin in allowing them to talk of others' faults, but I sin myself in listening to them.

I also didn't realize that even listening to gossip was a sin, therefore, in light of the fact that this is happening all around us in our churches, etc., we would do well to examine this further.

Re: Daily Consecration - 04/30/08 08:26 PM

Yep, even if you listen, you are sinning. As stated above, you must not let it happen, much less do it yourself.

Oh, and did you hear about ................

Even that is a sin. We must take personal accountability for every action or lack of action we take. We must forever guard against sinning in this way, for it not only hurts those that do the gossip, but those who are gossiped about, and those that listen to this terrible way to sin. Let all people from now on know, it's a sin to gossip.

Re: Daily Consecration - 04/30/08 09:02 PM

Chill out, F2B, please. What are you doing? Why all hostility? Surely you can offer something better than snide remarks. What do you believe that makes it so fun2believe? Does God care if we sin? Is sinning of little consequence? Will people be sinning in heaven? If not, why not? Tell me something good, something useful.

Re: Daily Consecration - 04/30/08 09:38 PM

I'm not being hostile. Not at all infact, sorry if it came across that way. I'm just sure that it's a sin. And God told us not to sin. So, if you listen to gossip, then you are sinning, not just against God, but those poor people who are wrongly being gossiped about.

I'm a firm believer that gossip is wrong, morally and biblically. It does nobody any good, it hurts lots of people, and SOP said to not do it.

I don't think most people believe it's a sin, but I do. And how can I help others who I know are sinning, by letting them to continue on in their sinful ways?

I'm very sorry if that came across as a snide remark, most certainly didn't mean that. I just feel very compelled to let others know what God expects of us, not unlike anybody else in the church, I don't think.

Something good, something useful.

Jesus is coming back for His people, and soon. We need to be ready for His return, and that means doing what's right. I don't think that gossip is good, not in anyway, shape, or form.

Of course God cares if we sin, He has asked us not to, so we will know the true nature of Him, and desire to be with Him. Sinning is of DIRE consequence, you must not KNOWLINGLY do it.

I'm not able to tell the future, so I can't say what people will be doing in heaven, however, I don't think they will be. I think we are sinful creatures becasue Eve ate the apple that God told her not to. But once we are in heaven, with God, we will not want to sin, and we'll be perfect creatures again, so we won't need to, nor want to sin, and repeat this awful time here on earth.

Re: Daily Consecration - 04/30/08 10:09 PM

F2B: I'm not being hostile. Not at all in fact, sorry if it came across that way. . . I'm very sorry if that came across as a snide remark, most certainly didn't mean that.

MM: Thank you. I guess I attached the wrong tone to the words you posted.

F2B: Jesus is coming back for His people, and soon.

MM: I've already asked you on a different thread to explain why you believe His coming is so soon. I'll read your answer there.

F2B: But once we are in heaven, with God, we will not want to sin, and we'll be perfect creatures again, so we won't need to, nor want to sin, and repeat this awful time here on earth.

MM: Can Jesus empower us to cease sinning now? Or, must He wait until after we are in heaven?

Re: Daily Consecration - 04/30/08 11:12 PM

Well sure, we don't have to wait till heaven to either want to stop sinning, or to stop sinning. I don't think that means we will necessarily be sinless, but we will want to be, and we will actively try to be.

Re: Daily Consecration - 05/01/08 12:45 AM

F2B, do you have references to support what you just posted? Where does it say we will not necessarily be sinless, that wanting to be sinless and trying to be sinless is sufficient for Jesus to admit us to heaven?

Re: Daily Consecration - 05/01/08 05:13 AM

No, does that make me wrong?

Re: Daily Consecration - 05/01/08 10:13 PM

What if it did, would you do anything about it? What if God expected you to be able to give a biblical reason for what you hold to be truth? Would you study to show yourself approved?

2 Timothy
2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

1 Peter
3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Re: Daily Consecration - 05/01/08 10:51 PM

Is that your answer? That's another question, not an answer.
Posted By: lindax

Re: Daily Consecration - 05/01/08 11:24 PM

can i ask a question,i have been a sinner for a long long time,i have stolen and committed adultery and many other things in drink ,in fact ive been a alcholic for years,i went to the lord sincerely and ased for forgiveness,i am trying to pay back some of what ive stole and packed all these bad things in.am i forgiven in Gods eyes or am i damned,because i am really truely sorry.and wish sometimes that i had not been born.where do i stand.

Re: Daily Consecration - 05/02/08 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: fun2believe
Is that your answer? That's another question, not an answer.

I need more information to answer your question. Hence, the follow up questions. If you want a serious and sincere answer to your question, please help me out and answer my follow up questions. But if your just playing games, then please don't waste my time. Thank you.

Re: Daily Consecration - 05/02/08 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: lindax
can i ask a question,i have been a sinner for a long long time,i have stolen and committed adultery and many other things in drink ,in fact ive been a alcholic for years,i went to the lord sincerely and ased for forgiveness,i am trying to pay back some of what ive stole and packed all these bad things in.am i forgiven in Gods eyes or am i damned,because i am really truely sorry.and wish sometimes that i had not been born.where do i stand.

Through the apostle John, Jesus said it best. Here it is:

1 John
1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Re: Daily Consecration - 05/02/08 11:45 PM

MM: I am looking for a serious and sincere answer to my question. I think it's a very simple question, there's no hidden agenda, it's not a trick question, and it's not a loaded question. The question is simple, but I'm not sure why you won't answer me. You keep asking me more questions. It's possible you don't have an answer, and that's alright. You don't have to claim to have an answer to every question, you've said as much yourself. But I do think you should admit it if you don't have no answer. Otherwise, please answer my question, or stop wasting my time.

Does the bible or SOP say specifically that one MUST quote from the bible or SOP when speaking of spiritual things? That's my question for you? You want me to leave a quote with every response I give, but I don't believe that God mandates that, even though you give that impression. So, once again, do I have to quote something everytime we talk about God, Adventism, or spirituality?

And please, if you are not going to say "yes, (and here's why...)", or "no (and here's why....), then please just don't respond to this question at all. I don't think it's productive to just go round and round when you are unwilling to give an answer. Thanks in advance.

Re: Daily Consecration - 05/03/08 06:41 AM

Quote:
MM: F2B, do you have references to support what you just posted? Where does it say we will not necessarily be sinless, that wanting to be sinless and trying to be sinless is sufficient for Jesus to admit us to heaven?

F2B: No, does that make me wrong?

Does the bible or SOP say specifically that one MUST quote from the bible or SOP when speaking of spiritual things? That's my question for you?

You want me to leave a quote with every response I give, but I don't believe that God mandates that, even though you give that impression.

So, once again, do I have to quote something everytime we talk about God, Adventism, or spirituality?

No, you are entitled to say or believe whatever you want to. And I'm sorry you got the impression I believe you must support your beliefs with inspired insights every time you state them.

This is a Bible study forum, however, and I must admit I have become accustomed to studying with people with who support their beliefs from the Bible and the SOP. You made a claim that took me by surprise, and I was simply curios as to where it came from.

If it is something you belief simply because it makes sense to you, and you cannot support it from the Bible or SOP, then fair enough. You have satisfied my curiosity. It would be nice if I could verify what you believe in the Bible or the SOP, but if it cannot be done, then I'm not sure it would make sense for me to believe it, too.
Posted By: crater

Re: Daily Consecration - 05/03/08 11:06 AM

It is rather nice to have something to substantiate one's opinion or belief. How you reached it?

It seems to me that scripture and SOP seem to indicate that we should be able to give an answer from scripture for our beliefs.

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11.

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear. 1 Peter 3:15.

Quote:
Maranatha (1976), page 253, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: Witnessing Before the Great Men of the Earth

Kings, governors, and great men will hear of you through the reports of those who are at enmity with you, and your faith and character will be misrepresented before them. But those who are falsely accused will have an opportunity to appear in the presence of their accusers to answer for themselves. They will have the privilege of bringing the light before those who are called the great men of the earth, and if you have studied the Bible, if you are ready to give an answer to every man that asketh you of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear, your enemies will not be able to gainsay your wisdom.
 Quote:
The Church Officers' Gazette, September 1, 1914, paragraph 8
Article Title: Consecrated Efforts to Reach Unbelievers

"Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." The fear here spoken of does not mean distrust or indecision, but with due caution, guarding every point, lest an unwise word be spoken, or excitement of feeling get the advantage, and thus leave unfavorable impressions upon minds, and balance them in the wrong direction. Godly fear, humility, and meekness are greatly needed by all, in order to represent correctly the truth for this time.
 Quote:
The Youth's Instructor , February 19, 1879, paragraph 4
Article Title: Necessity of Thorough Bible Study.

The apostle says, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be thoroughly furnished unto all good works." If, therefore, you would be thus thoroughly furnished, and "ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear," study the Bible with all diligence.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church