A good reason to hypernate G-d

Posted By: Elle

A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/02/11 04:28 PM

Here is what a friend told me :

"G-d is not a name it is a title, but it originates from the teutonic word Gott the germanic pagan sun deity. The word "goths" is a related word referring also to the sun deity, ostrogoths (rising or eastern sun) was an ancient germanic tribe of eastern europe, the visigoths (falling or western sun) inhabited western europe. So the english word "god" is used as a title for YHWH but on ancient times it would be a germanic reference to the sun deity.

Deut. 18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

Ex. 23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.

So i put the dash in G-d so as not to write or cause another to speak or even think of this name of a pagan deity."
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/03/11 03:01 AM

Where did you hear that, Elle? I hope someone wasn't intentionally leading you astray.

Here's the first thing I found on it...
Quote:
GOD - The English word God is identical with the Anglo-Saxon word for “good,” and therefore it is believed that the name God refers to the divine goodness. (See Oehler's Theol. of Old Test.; Strong's and Young's concordances.) (From New Unger's Bible Dictionary) (Originally published by Moody Press of Chicago, Illinois. Copyright (C) 1988.)

I don't know if that's accurate, but it sure is different. Frankly, I'd never heard such a thing as that the word "God" would have come from "sun deity." That seems a bit preposterous to me.

Remember, Anglo-Saxon was the original English. Because the language has adopted words from so many other languages, today's English is comprised of only about 25% Anglo-Saxon, with many of those words having evolved into new pronunciations or spellings. For example, we no longer pronounce the "k" in words like "knot" and "knife" and "know." Those were all Anglo-Saxon.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/03/11 09:18 AM

I appreciate the concern Green and your reply. According to a brief little google of the etymology of the word, I do believe that my friend is right. Not that the first origin came from the Gotts, but it appears it goes further, and this word is found in some form in many nations. So actually we do not know exactly where it originated. But the fact that it is well dispersed in many nations, my speculation would be that it could of derived as far back as the pagan worship during the time of the story of Babel.

Here is some type of Hindu or Buddha religion website that is happy to say that G-d could come originally from Sankrit.

Here what he says :

“Oddly, the exact history of the word God is unknown. The word God is a relatively new European invention, which was never used in any of the ancient Judaeo-Christian scripture manuscripts that were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek or Latin.

According to the best efforts of linguists and researchers, the root of the present word God is the Sanskrit word hu which means to call upon, invoke, implore.

Nonetheless, it is also interesting to note the similarity to the ancient Persian word for God which is Khoda.

The following is a survey of some of the efforts of those who have been trying to decipher the ancient roots of the word God:”
http://wahiduddin.net/words/name_god.htm

Below is his compilation of the etymology of g-d.
Originally Posted By: God etymology compilation
Webster's 1913 Dictionary:

\God\ (g[o^]d), n. [AS. god; akin to OS. & D. god, OHG. got, G. gott, Icel. gu[eth], go[eth], Sw. & Dan. gud, Goth. gup, prob. orig. a p. p. from a root appearing in Skr. h[=u], p. p. h[=u]ta, to call upon, invoke, implore. [root]30. Cf. {Goodbye}, {Gospel}, {Gossip}.]
http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/god

Catholic Encyclopedia:

Etymology of the Word "God"

(Anglo-Saxon God; German Gott; akin to Persian khoda; Hindu khooda).

God can variously be defined as:
• the proper name of the one Supreme and Infinite Personal Being, the Creator and Ruler of the universe, to whom man owes obedience and worship;
• the common or generic name of the several supposed beings to whom, in polytheistic religions, Divine attributes are ascribed and Divine worship rendered;
• the name sometimes applied to an idol as the image or dwelling-place of a god.

The root-meaning of the name (from Gothic root gheu; Sanskrit hub or emu, "to invoke or to sacrifice to") is either "the one invoked" or "the one sacrificed to." From different Indo-Germanic roots (div, "to shine" or "give light"; thes in thessasthai "to implore") come the Indo-Iranian deva, Sanskrit dyaus (gen. divas), Latin deus, Greek theos, Irish and Gaelic dia, all of which are generic names; also Greek Zeus (gen. Dios, Latin Jupiter (jovpater), Old Teutonic Tiu or Tiw (surviving in Tuesday), Latin Janus, Diana, and other proper names of pagan deities. The common name most widely used in Semitic occurs as 'el in Hebrew, 'ilu in Babylonian, 'ilah in Arabic, etc.; and though scholars are not agreed on the point, the root-meaning most probably is "the strong or mighty one."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06608x.htm

Oxford English Dictionary:

"god (gρd). Also 3-4 godd. [Com. Teut.: OE. god (masc. in sing.; pl. godu, godo neut., godas masc.) corresponds to OFris., OS., Du. god masc., OHG. got, cot (MHG. got, mod.Ger. gott) masc., ON. goð, guð neut. and masc., pl. goð, guð neut. (later Icel. pl. guðir masc.; Sw., Da. gud), Goth. guÞ (masc. in sing.; pl. guÞa, guda neut.). The Goth. and ON. words always follow the neuter declension, though when used in the Christian sense they are syntactically masc. The OTeut. type is therefore *guđom neut., the adoption of the masculine concord being presumably due to the Christian use of the word. The neuter sb., in its original heathen use, would answer rather to L. numen than to L. deus. Another approximate equivalent of deus in OTeut. was *ansu-z (Goth. in latinized pl. form anses, ON. ρss, OE. Ós- in personal names, ésa genit. pl.); but this seems to have been applied only to the higher deities of the native pantheon, never to foreign gods; and it never came into Christian use.

The ulterior etymology is disputed. Apart from the unlikely hypothesis of adoption from some foreign tongue, the OTeut. *gubom implies as its pre-Teut. type either ghudho-m or *ghutó-m. The former does not appear to admit of explanation; but the latter would represent the neut. of the passive pple. of a root *gheu-. There are two Aryan roots of the required form (both *glheu, with palatal aspirate): one meaning ‘to invoke’ (Skr. hū), the other ‘to pour, to offer sacrifice’ (Skr. hu, Gr. χέειν, OE. yéotan YETE v.). Hence *glhutó-m has been variously interpreted as ‘what is invoked’ (cf. Skr. puru-hūta ‘much-invoked’, an epithet of Indra) and as ‘what is worshipped by sacrifice’ (cf. Skr. hutá, which occurs in the sense ‘sacrificed to’ as well as in that of ‘offered in sacrifice’). Either of these conjectures is fairly plausible, as they both yield a sense practically coincident with the most obvious definition deducible from the actual use of the word, ‘an object of worship’.

Some scholars, accepting the derivation from the root *glheu- to pour, have supposed the etymological sense to be ‘molten image’ (= Gr. χυγόν), but the assumed development of meaning seems very unlikely.

transcribed from The Oxford English Dictionary

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary:

god

\God\ (g[o^]d), n. [AS. god; akin to OS. & D. god, OHG. got, G. gott, Icel. gu[eth], go[eth], Sw. & Dan. gud, Goth. gup, prob. orig. a p. p. from a root appearing in Skr. h[=u], p. p. h[=u]ta, to call upon, invoke, implore. [root]30. Cf. Goodbye, Gospel, Gossip.]

1. A being conceived of as possessing supernatural power, and to be propitiated by sacrifice, worship, etc.; a divinity; a deity; an object of worship; an idol.

He maketh a god, and worshipeth it. --Is. xliv. 15.

The race of Israel . . . bowing lowly down To bestial gods. --Milton.

2. The Supreme Being; the eternal and infinite Spirit, the Creator, and the Sovereign of the universe; Jehovah.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=god

American Heritage Dictionary:

GOD

NOUN: 1. God a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions. b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being. 2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality. 3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol. 4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god. 5. A very handsome man. 6. A powerful ruler or despot.

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old English. See gheu(): in APPENDIX I
APPENDIX I: ENTRY: gheu()-

DEFINITION: To call, invoke. Oldest form *heu()-, becoming *gheu()- in centum languages. Suffixed zero-grade form *ghu-to-, “the invoked,” god. a. god, from Old English god, god; b. giddy, from Old English gydig, gidig, possessed, insane, from Germanic *gud-iga-, possessed by a god; c. götterdämmerung, from Old High German got, god. a–c all from Germanic *gudam, god. (Pokorny hau- 413.)

http://www.bartleby.com/61/21/G0172100.html

An Additional On-Line Reference:
Word origin: God - Our word god goes back via Germanic to Indo-European, in which a corresponding ancestor form meant “invoked one.” The word’s only surviving non-Germanic relative is Sanskrit hu, invoke the gods, a form which appears in the Rig Veda, most ancient of Hindu scriptures: puru-hutas, “much invoked,” epithet of the rain-and-thunder god Indra. (From READER’S DIGEST, Family Word Finder, page 351) (Originally published by The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., Pleasantville New York, Montreal; Copyright 1975)

Now if the sources noted above are accurate, then the word that we use for the Supreme Being, God, comes from a very pagan origin. Thus the word god is used generically by many different religions to refer to their deity or “invoked one.”

Some may laugh at the notion, the very idea that the word “God” has any origin or association with Hindu Sanskrit. To illustrate how this is possible, we again quote from ‘Family Word Finder’ on the historical development of our Modern English language:

Page 7, ‘Word Origins’ - “English belongs to the Indo-European family of languages, which consists of about 100 related tongues, all descended from prehistoric language of a pastoral, bronze working, horse breeding people, the Aryans, who inhabited the steppes of Central Asia about 4500 B.C. Scholars refer to their language at this stage as proto-Indo-European, or simply Indo-European.
http://www.bibleanswerstand.org/God.htm

Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/03/11 09:59 AM

If anyone on this forum has some acquaintance with the Asian languages, I guess it's probably me. I can tell you for a fact that the Thai language has no word for God. Yet the source languages for Thai are said to be Pali and Sanskrit--the same source as is alleged for Hindi.

In Thai, Christians have latched on to the nearest equivalent word, "pra" to which is added either "ong" meaning "being" or "jao" meaning "lord." The word "pra" is more akin to "royal," "sacred," or "divine." In Thai, kings are called either "pra-jao" or "pra-ong." Christians, then, use those same words to speak of God. A listening Buddhist might misunderstand the Christian reference to "God" to be referring to Thailand's king!

Of course, maybe Thai was simply short-changed, and there is another word from the original Sanskrit for God. However, I have my doubts. There is an interesting book which I have read regarding the translation of the Bible into Tibetan called "God Spoke Tibetan." The story tells of providential occurrences in the very long process of translating the Bible into the language of Tibet (over a lifetime). One of the hardest things to translate, according to the book, was the word "God." They just could not find a suitable word to use within their ordinary language.

Here is a quote from the book.

Originally Posted By: God Spoke Tibetan, by Allan Maberly
... Sitting down, he began to read the tattered pages. As he read, his excitement grew. The book told of ancient wars of the gods, with a backdrop of superstition. But the language, written in a dialect almost forgotten, amazed Yoseb. He saw at once that this language was the key for which they had searched. Here was the word for "God" which they had so diligently sought, a good word for "prayer," and other difficult phrases. The language, much simpler than the classical Tibetan, could be adapted so that the modern Tibetan would understand it clearly--even the simple people of the hills.

Of course, Thai comes from the same Sanskrit origin as Tibetan and Hindi, and just as mentioned above, the word "prayer" is also problematic in Thai. I wish I could come across such a find as did our dear brother Yoseb, but for Thai!

Suffice it to say, the word "God" is not easy to come by in these languages, and this causes me the more to question the reasoning behind some people's attempt to trace the English word for God back to a nearly non-existent word in one of these languages.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: dedication

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/04/11 08:42 AM

"teutonic word Gott"

Coming from a German background I can affirm that the word "Gott" means exactly the same thing as the English word "God" and is the word used in German Bibles when refering to God.

Just as the English word can refer to the true God or false gods, so the German word Gott can refer to the true God or false gods.

This is Genesis 1:1 in German

"Am Anfang schuf Gott Himmel und Erde.

One of the first songs German Christian children learn is

Gott ist die Liebe,
Läßt mich erlösen:
Gott ist die Liebe,
Er liebt auch mich.
Drum sag ich noch einmal:
Gott ist die Liebe,
Gott ist die Liebe,
Er liebt auch mich.

God is love
He redeemed me
God is love
He also loves me
That's why I'll say it again
God is love, God is love
He also loves me.

Posted By: kland

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/05/11 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Elle
So i put the dash in G-d so as not to write or cause another to speak or even think of this name of a pagan deity."
So how does changing the letters of God not cause another to speak or even think of this name of a pagan deity?

Why use G-d and not -od, Go-, or G--, -o-, --d, or ---?

How does it not bring even more attention to any such fact, or not, about the origins of "God"? And how does it not bring attention to yourself. If you object to the word, "God", why not use YHWH, Yahweh, or any of other such permutations others use to distract or attract attention?

It seems to me that this is vanity if not bordering on blasphemy.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/20/11 08:33 PM

Seems to me there is a Christian faith group or denomination that spells God as G-d for the reason that they do not wish to spell the name of God in full, thus they refer to Him as G-d in written form.
Posted By: Gregory

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/30/12 05:02 PM

Devout Jews today write G-d as they do not want to speak the name of God.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/30/12 05:12 PM

Quote:
Oddly, the exact history of the word God is unknown. The word God is a relatively new European invention, which was never used in any of the ancient Judaeo-Christian scripture manuscripts that were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek or Latin.

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/1_introduction.html

The above citation references a 4,000 year-old use of the word God in Pictographic-Hebrew.

I acknowledge that some would say that citation is actually the Hebrew word "el." But is not that Hebrew word the root of the English word God?

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/30/12 06:34 PM

Quote:

The answer to your question is simple: It stems from the fact that the Bible was written in unpointed Hebrew. In unpointed Hebrew (transliterated into English), the word god would be written as "gd." It would not be written as "go," or "od."

NOTE: Transliterated is a different word than translated.

So, modern Jewish people writing in English write it as "g-d" with the hyphen indicating the the Hebrew root has been transliterated in its unpointed Hebrew form.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/30/12 07:09 PM

Why don't they do the same with Christ, LORD, Jehovah, etc.???

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/30/12 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Daryl
Originally Posted By: Gregory
Quote:
The answer to your question is simple: It stems from the fact that the Bible was written in unpointed Hebrew. In unpointed Hebrew (transliterated into English), the word god would be written as "gd." It would not be written as "go," or "od."

So, modern Jewish people writing in English write it as "g-d" with the hyphen indicating the the Hebrew root has been transliterated in its unpointed Hebrew form.

You both missed the point stated on the first post of this thread.

The english spelled word "god" has its roots from the name for the sun deity adapted by many nations. It is not a translation nor a tranliteration from the Hebrew "el" or any other Hebrew words. Nor does it have its roots from the Greek language, but it comes from the pagans sun worshippers.

Words like Christ, & Jehovah has its roots from the Greek and Hebrew language and is a derivitave from it. These are proper to use. I haven't studied the roots of "Lord" so I cannot comment on that one.

Originally Posted By: First Post
"G-d is not a name it is a title, but it originates from the teutonic word Gott the germanic pagan sun deity. The word "goths" is a related word referring also to the sun deity, ostrogoths (rising or eastern sun) was an ancient germanic tribe of eastern europe, the visigoths (falling or western sun) inhabited western europe. So the english word "god" is used as a title for YHWH but on ancient times it would be a germanic reference to the sun deity.

Deut. 18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

Ex. 23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/31/12 12:11 AM

Quote:

Because Jewish people do not recognize Christ as God.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/31/12 12:17 AM

Quote:

Because Jewish people do not recognize Christ as God.

The Messianic Jews do.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/31/12 12:34 AM

Quote:
G-d is not a name it is a title, but it originates from the teutonic word Gott the germanic pagan sun deity. The word "goths" is a related word referring also to the sun deity, ostrogoths (rising or eastern sun) was an ancient germanic tribe of eastern europe, the visigoths (falling or western sun) inhabited western europe. So the english word "god" is used as a title for YHWH but on ancient times it would be a germanic reference to the sun deity.

Quote:

The english spelled word "god" has its roots from the name for the sun deity adapted by many nations. It is not a translation nor a tranliteration from the Hebrew "el" or any other Hebrew words. Nor does it have its roots from the Greek language, but it comes from the pagans sun worshippers.

I do not have the time to give a detailed response to what you have stated above. So, I will make it very short:

The exact history of the words god/God is not conclusively known.

NOTE: The words "god" and "God" are not the same. The word "God" is of relatively recent European origin and does not come from Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek or Latin.

The word "god" clearly has a very ancient orgin. It is thought to stem from Proto-Indo-European roots. It has roots in Sanskrit and the Reg Veda. It has roots Greek mythology. It has two root in the Aryan. It has Germanic Indo-Eurpean roots.

The bottom line: It can be traced back prior to the sun worship that you mention. But, scholars are not convinced that the conclusively know its roots. In any case, some of its previously thought roots are now rejected: the patriarchal name of the Buddha and many others.
Posted By: Johann

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/31/12 12:57 AM

Quote:

Words like Christ, & Jehovah has its roots from the Greek and Hebrew language and is a derivitave from it. These are proper to use. I haven't studied the roots of "Lord" so I cannot comment on that one.

Originally Posted By: First Post

Elle is here presenting his conviction. Although I do not share his conviction I think he has the full right to live and work by that conviction and remain in good and regular standing with my church.

I see his point, but am personally persuaded that I make the due distinction in this word, by spelling it "god" when referring to other gods, and "God" when I refer to my Creator. It is an old rule in English as well as many other languages to write the words and names connected with our Christian divinity with a capital letter to distinguish them from other gods.

When speaking or writing in the "name" of a god or God does not require the specific use of the name nor the word, but indicates the words spoken or written are in full harmony with the teachings of that divinity.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/31/12 02:01 AM

Elle is a she/her, rather than a he/his.

Elle is a French word for She.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/31/12 02:50 AM

My apologies!

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/31/12 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Johann
My apologies!

Apologies accepted but really no offence was made.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/31/12 02:04 PM

Quote:
Elle's Friend :"G-d is not a name it is a title, but it originates from the teutonic word Gott the germanic pagan sun deity. The word "goths" is a related word referring also to the sun deity, ostrogoths (rising or eastern sun) was an ancient germanic tribe of eastern europe, the visigoths (falling or western sun) inhabited western europe. So the english word "god" is used as a title for YHWH but on ancient times it would be a germanic reference to the sun deity."

Elle : You both missed the point stated on the first post of this thread.

Gregory : I do not have the time to give a detailed response to what you have stated above. So, I will make it very short:

The exact history of the words god/God is not conclusively known.

How many ancient nations besides the Hebrews do we know were worshipping the true G-d?

The word "God" is of relatively recent European origin and does not come from Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek or Latin.
The underlined is important to note which states that it has a foreign origin.

The word "god" clearly has a very ancient orgin. It is thought to stem from Proto-Indo-European roots. It has roots in Sanskrit and the Reg Veda. It has roots Greek mythology. It has two root in the Aryan. It has Germanic Indo-Eurpean roots.
Agreed and many on this discussion has brought this out.

The bottom line: It can be traced back prior to the sun worship that you mention. But, scholars are not convinced that the conclusively know its roots. In any case, some of its previously thought roots are now rejected: the patriarchal name of the Buddha and many others.
Despite that it can be traced "prior to Sun worship" whenever the scholars has concluded that time was, and I think this point is irrelevant whether during the time of Babel or prior to that if there were nations worshipping the sun or not and this word origin came from that or not and what has transpired from ages to ages with the origine of that name. But what we do see is the origin of "god" or "God", as you have noted, is found in many nation and culture.

How many ancient nations besides the Hebrews worshipped the one and true G-d? Plus we know from the Lord that He has made His names known to our patriarch. Actually, it was the first time the name "Jehovah" was reveal to Moses. Prior to that the Lord was known to Abraham and the others as El Shaddai.

Exodus 6: 2 "And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I [am] the LORD: 3 And I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as El-Shaddai—'God Almighty'*—but I did not reveal my name, Yahweh, to them..
NLT Footnote: * El-Shaddai, which means “God Almighty,” is the name for God used in Gen 17:1; 28:3; 35:11; 43:14; 48:3.

We also know that the Lord gave us these commandements :

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/31/12 02:30 PM

Elle is a she/her, rather than a he/his.

Elle is a French word for She.

Another example to show how confusing languages can be. We had a very good male friend here in Iceland whose nickname could have been spelled Elle in English.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 12/31/12 06:28 PM

Quote:

Gregory, the English word, "God" is not in Hebrew nor Greek. So pointing or unpointing does not apply. This case is nothing but an example of blasphemy at worse and calling attention to oneself at best. Especially when paired with other "issues" presented.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/02/13 02:36 AM

Quote:
Gregory, the English word, "God" is not in Hebrew nor Greek.

On the basis that the word "god" is an English word, you are correct.

However, there are a number of Hebrew and Greek words that have been translated by the English words "god "and "God."

Two of these, if you will allow me to transliterate are: "el" and "Theos." Do you allege that these words are improperly translated by the English word "God?"

Quote:
So pointing or unpointing does not apply.

Religious Jews, who understand the Biblical Hebrew, write certain words in the English language in the unpointed (g-d) style of the ancient biblical Hebrew. They bring that over from the ancient Biblical Hebrew for theological reasons. So, I would not agree with your statement above.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/02/13 02:47 AM

Here is a Biblical use of the Hebrew word that has clearly applies to a pagan diety:

Quote:
Wilt not thou possess that which Chemosh thy god [Elohim] giveth thee to possess? So whomsoever Jehovah our God [Elohim] hath dispossessed from before us, them will we possess. (Judges 11:24, ASV)

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/02/13 06:29 PM

I'm confused why you think translating from one language to another requires the second language to make use of the alphabet style and mechanisms or not of the first language. Would you also require it to not use articles? What if the first language has a letter not in the second. Would you require the second to never use that letter no matter if the word translated has that letter?

Now, if you translate it as LHM, you may or may not have an argument to suggest for discussion.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/03/13 08:49 PM

Translation into another language always uses the gramatical style and alphabetic style of the language into which it is translated.

Transliteration is a different issue. I will respond to your question from the standpoint of transliteration: In transliteration, there is always an alphabetic letter of the language that the word is being transliterated into that is assigned to the alphabetic letter in the origonal language. Now, there may not be exactly one comparable letter in each alphabet. Therefore a letter in one alphaet may represent several letters in the other alphabet.

E.G. In the Korean alphabet (Korea has a 24 character alphabet.)
A couple of the letters in the Korean alphabet could be transliterated into two different letters of the English alphabet. This was of concern to the Korean government and it established a government committee that attempted to set in place a uniform system of transliteration into English. Perhaps, that has been accomplished by now? I do not know.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/04/13 12:18 AM

Translation into another language always uses the gramatical style and alphabetic style of the language into which it is translated.

Transliteration is a different issue. I will respond to your question from the standpoint of transliteration: In transliteration, there is always an alphabetic letter of the language that the word is being transliterated into that is assigned to the alphabetic letter in the origonal language. Now, there may not be exactly one comparable letter in each alphabet. Therefore a letter in one alphaet may represent several letters in the other alphabet.

A couple of the letters in the Korean alphabet could be transliterated into two different letters of the English alphabet. This was of concern to the Korean government and it established a government committee that attempted to set in place a uniform system of transliteration into English. Perhaps, that has been accomplished by now? I do not know.

These principles apply with many different languages. There are times when I deal with 6 or 7 different languages, some of which are somewhat similar while others are quite different. Even similar languages use different alphabets with different number of letters.

In some languages you have to use a definite article to convey the same meaning that is expressed in another language without an article. In some languages the article is a separate word while in others it is a different format of the word. Words with different or opposite meanings may cause problems in quite similar languages. In some languages it takes a long sentence to convey the meaning of a short sentence in another language. At times a single word does not exist in another language and has to be explained

There are so many reasons why the principles of a transliteration is incomprehensible without considering thoroughly the language you are translating the message into.

It has been my privilege to translate countless articles, including Week of Prayer readings, from one language into another, also including a book by Ellen White.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/04/13 02:58 AM

God in French is Dieu.

How does one spell Dieu in the same sense that one spells God as G-d in English?

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/04/13 04:10 AM

God in French is Dieu.

How does one spell Dieu in the same sense that one spells God as G-d in English?
I don't speak French very much anymore and my Bible is English. So I never really looked into the word "Dieu". Here's is what I found :

Quote:
------- WIKIPEDIA -- Dieu --------
"Le mot « dieu » vient du latin Deus"
[comes from the root word Deus]

------- WIKIPEDIA -- Deus --------

"Deus (Latin pronunciation: [ˈdeːʊs]) is Latin for "god" or "deity". Latin deus and dīvus "divine", are descended from Proto-Indo-European *deiwos, from the same root as *Dyēus, the reconstructed chief god of the Proto-Indo-European pantheon.

------- WIKIPEDIA -- Deiwos & Dyeus--------

Dyēus (also *Dyēus ph2ter) is believed to have been chief deity in the religious traditions of the prehistoric Proto-Indo-European tribes. Part of a larger pantheon, he was the god of the daylight sky, and his position may have mirrored the position of the patriarch or monarch in society. This deity is not directly attested; rather scholars have reconstructed this deity from the languages and cultures of later Indo-European nations.

Later gods who are etymologically connected with Dyeus include:

In Greek mythology Zeus[1]
In Roman mythology Jupiter (originally Iuppiter)[2]
In Historical Vedic religion Dyauṣ Pitār[3]
Possibly Dionysus, and Thracian Sabazios (from Saba Zeus?)
Rooted in the related but distinct Indo-European word *deiwos is the Latin word for deity, deus.

Well, it looks like I should write it as "Di-u" when I use it. Really I should not use these words at all. When I exchange with my SDA friend that share this to me, we never say G-d, but instead we use the Lord, Father, Jesus or Yah (short for Yahveh).

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/04/13 07:01 PM

Gregory, you're not making any sense. So either I am failing to understand what you are saying.

In Hebrew, God is אֱלקים
Why do you think God should have letters left out when English doesn't have anything related to the alphabetic style?

Quote:

Are you talking about transliterating letter for letter without the meaning? Makes no sense and would make no sense.

God in French is also

le Très Haut

If we were translating French English, we would not put a accent anywhere on the English letters. So I don't know what you are talking about using the same alphabetic style.

English does not have pointing or unpointing. Just because you translate a language which does into English does not require such. Again, what you are saying makes no sense. Other than to justify "hypernation" nonsense.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/04/13 07:11 PM

Well, it looks like I should write it as "Di-u" when I use it.

_|_, it looks like you just randomly replaced a letter with a hyphen. I looked in wikipedia and could find no reason. Maybe you could give one?

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/05/13 02:33 AM

Quote:
Are you talking about transliterating letter for letter without the meaning? Makes no sense and would make no sense.

That is exactly what transliteration is. You have expressed it very will. Transliteration never has any meaning attached to it.

Translation always has meaning and does not substitute letter for letter.

You are entitled to stated that therefore transliteration makes no sense. It has not been my purpose to explain the sense that it makes. But, you can believe that transliteration has sense, in a very narrow sense.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/05/13 02:45 AM

Quote:
Well, it looks like I should write it as "Di-u" when I use it. Really I should not use these words at all. When I exchange with my SDA friend that share this to me, we never say G-d, but instead we use the Lord, Father, Jesus or Yah (short for Yahveh).

One would not expect to see an English word written in the form of "G-d." That seems to violate the rules.

However, this issue becomes very complex due to the following:

1) Hebrew is written in both pointed and un-pointed style. The English word "G-d" reflects the un-pointed style which in some writing is considered very important.

2)Some religious Jews demand that in the language they are speaking, (English in this case.) print that word in the "G-d" Form.

3) Some Christians have picked up on the theology behind the Jews mentioned above and also wish for the word to always be printed as "G-d."

Due to these perspectives A writing style for that word has developed that violates some of the common conventions that are applied to normal printing of the English language.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/05/13 03:49 AM

Why isn't G-d printed that way in the KJV Bible in English and Di-u in the French Bible?

Take the following for example:
Quote:
John 20:17 KJV Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

John 20:17 FLS (French Louis Segond) Jésus lui dit: Ne me touche pas; car je ne suis pas encore monté vers mon Père. Mais va trouver mes frères, et dis-leur que je monte vers mon Père et votre Père, vers mon Dieu et votre Dieu.

Shouldn't the Bible translators also have written God as G-d and Dieu as Di-u?

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/05/13 05:00 AM

Why isn't G-d printed that way in the KJV Bible in English and Di-u in the French Bible?

Take the following for example:
Quote:
John 20:17 KJV Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

John 20:17 FLS (French Louis Segond) Jésus lui dit: Ne me touche pas; car je ne suis pas encore monté vers mon Père. Mais va trouver mes frères, et dis-leur que je monte vers mon Père et votre Père, vers mon Dieu et votre Dieu.

Shouldn't the Bible translators also have written God as G-d and Dieu as Di-u?

Translation happened many centuries later. Already the people didn't study the Law of Moses and had nailed them at the cross. They saw no need to keep them with some few exceptions.

So what you are quoting are words the translator used popular during his time regarless of their pagan origin and the Lord's prohibition expressed in His Laws.

If Christians wouldn't had nailed the laws to the cross and would of known of the Lord wishes not to use pagans words, then they would of used other words for the translation.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/05/13 01:10 PM

Quote:

Because the KJV was translated by Christians. It was not translated by Jews.

The origin of the English printing of "G-d" in English writings is clearly tied to Jewish theology and practice, even for those Christians today who advocate the practice of writing "G-d" in English.

In the ancient un-pointed Hebrew MSS the name of God was written by the Tetragrammaton. However, Jewish theology taught that it was a sin to pronounce the name of God. So, a Jewish person reading the Hebrew MSS would pronounce the Hebrew word Adonai instead of the Tetragrammaton.

When Hebrew MSS was written in pointed Hebrew, the vowel points for the Hebrew word referenced by Adonai were added to the Tetragrammaton. The Jewish person reading the Hebrew MSS would pronounce Adonai instead of the Tetragramaton.

Religious Jews, today, who continue that practice, write the word "G-d" in English instead of writing "God."

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/05/13 01:16 PM

Elle, in many ways, I think, this discussion has become complicated and confused. In an attempt to make some sense out of it, let us go back to your first post where you said:

Quote:

I consider you to be totally correct on two points:

1) The word "God" Is a title. It is not a name.
2) The word "God" can clearly be traced back to a title given to multiple heathen gods. This cannot be questioned by anyone who understands the origin of the word.

I entered this discussion due to the fact that I believe that you have given undue emphasis to the relationship of the word "God" to the Germanic sun god. I do not deny that there is a relationship. My position is that the pagan relationship of the word "God" dates back prior to the Germanic peoples and extends to other pagan gods than the sun god.

Simply put, that is where I have argued with you. Could I be wrong? Of course. In an earlier post, I cited reasons for my belief.

Here is where I stated those reasons:

Quote:

In your post, you went back to the Germanic peoples. Scholars general trace the Germanic people to about 400 BC. Yes, they give the Proto-Germanic peoples an earlier date, but you did not refer to the Proto-Germanic peoples. But, that distinction does not matter.

I referenced the Reg Veda, as well as others. The Reg Veda is generally thought by scholars to date back to the time period of 1700 - 1000 BC. This is long before the development of the Germanic peoples. I am correct telling you that the pagan origin of the word "God" is long before any Germanic sun god.

Question: Why do I say the Reg Veda dates to a period that extends from 1700 BC to 1000 BC. Answer: The Reg Veda was not written by one person. It was written by a group of people who lived during the period of 1700 BC through to 1000 BC.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/05/13 03:12 PM

More reasons why observant Jews write "G-d:"

The Halakha forbids an observant Jew from ever erasing a printed name for God. On the assumption that any printed item may be destroyed at some point, observant Jews do not place into print anything that might be considered a name of God.

I have already acknowledged that Elle is correct in stating that "God" is a title and not a name. But, religious Jews do not make the distinction between a title and a name for God that she makes. They correctly recognize that titles attributed to God are often considered to be names of God. Therefore, In order to follow the strict teaching on this point of the Halakha, they will often treat titles for God as if they were a name of God, which they may be considered to be.

If you attempt to obtain a listing of the Jewish names of God, you will typically find those listings to contain both titles and names. One such Jewish listing, available on the Internet, contains some 900 names and titles.

If you want to learn more about the prohibition of ever erasing a printed name of God, check out the following;

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_Gd/About_Writing/about_writing.html

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/05/13 03:25 PM

Elle has expressed concern that the word "God" has been associated with pagan gods. She is correct in that point. "God" has been associated with pagan gods.

The basic meaning of the word "god" is: 1) A being of supernatural powers worshiped by people. 2) An image of a deity, an idol. 3) The ruler of the Universe. 4) The principal object of faith in a monotheistic religion. 5) An object of worship.

These above clearly associate "god" with pagan religion. But, that association is not limited to paganism. It includes the object of Christian worship.

Further, it includes the object of Islamic worship--Allah. Allah is clearly not a pagan god. A Christian translation of the Arabic word "Allah" is properly "God." In reverse, a translation of the English word "God" into Arabic is properly "Allah."

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/05/13 03:43 PM

I understand that some of you may be confused by my use of the word ”transliteration,” and wonder if it has any use. Here is what Wikipedia says, in part. About that word:

Quote:
Transliteration is the conversion of a text from one script to another.

Transliteration can form an essential part of transcription which converts text from one writing system into another. Transliteration is not concerned with representing the phonemics of the original: it only strives to represent the characters accurately.

From an information-theoretical point of view, systematic transliteration is a mapping from one system of writing into another, word by word, or ideally letter by letter. Most transliteration systems are one-to-one, so a reader who knows the system can reconstruct the original spelling.

Transliteration is opposed to transcription, which specifically maps the sounds of one language to the best matching script of another language. Still, most systems of transliteration map the letters of the source script to letters pronounced similarly in the goal script, for some specific pair of source and goal language. If the relations between letters and sounds are similar in both languages, a transliteration may be (almost) the same as a transcription.

The Greek language is written in the 24-letter Greek alphabet, which overlaps with, but differs from, the 26-letter Latin alphabet in which English is written. Etymologies in English dictionaries often identify Greek words as ancestors of words used in English, and sometimes transliterate the Greek words into Roman letters.

NOTE: I had to delete parts due to the fact that they contained non-Latin alphabetic characters that did not reproduce in this forum.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/06/13 01:47 AM

I don't see any point in writing "G-d". Vowels weren't added by the Masorites to the word YHWH because the word wasn't pronounced. The word "God," however, is pronounced. So it doesn't make sense to write it as "G-d."

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/06/13 02:31 AM

It stands to reason. Romans 12:1

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/06/13 02:37 AM

Quote:
I don't see any point in writing "G-d". Vowels weren't added by the Masorites to the word YHWH because the word wasn't pronounced. The word "God," however, is pronounced. So it doesn't make sense to write it as "G-d."

A minor correction: The vowels for the word "Adonai" were added to the YHWH which caused the reader to pronounce the word Adonai. They did not add the vowels for the word YHWH.

NOTE: The Tetragrammaton is the Hebrew word YHWH.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/07/13 01:13 PM

Quote:

One would not expect to see an English word written in the form of "G-d." That seems to violate the rules.

However, this issue becomes very complex due to the following:

1) Hebrew is written in both pointed and un-pointed style. The English word "G-d" reflects the un-pointed style which in some writing is considered very important.

2)Some religious Jews demand that in the language they are speaking, (English in this case.) print that word in the "G-d" Form.

3) Some Christians have picked up on the theology behind the Jews mentioned above and also wish for the word to always be printed as "G-d."

Due to these perspectives A writing style for that word has developed that violates some of the common conventions that are applied to normal printing of the English language.

I understand your point Gregory. However I did not write “G-d” because of 2) and I wasn’t even aware of all what you brought out here. I did it because of what was written in Deut 18:20 and Ex 23:13 quoted below. Also I wouldn’t change it because of your point 3). My concern is what the Lord wants me to do in face of our situation with languages today and how it is used.

I cannot deny His laws which says the following :

With my investigation, I see that the word “god” and “dieu” have both pagan origins.

So my #1 priority is to obey the Lord. Also I know it is our Christian duty #2 to teach the Laws of the Lord when He calls us to. So depending on the situation and what He wants me to do, I either use other appropriate words avoiding god altogether for His title and fulfill my #1 purpose. Then if He moves me to do #2, then use the word “G-d” and hyphenate it.

I will admit that when I started to hyphenate the word G-d here on the forum I had recently learned about Deut 18:20 & Ex 23:13 and only wanted to fulfill #1 in doing so. I don’t think I was call to do #2 despite that’s what it turned out to be when kland started to pester me wink about it. That’s why I opened this discussion because I didn’t want to explain myself inside many discussions.

So I was wrong in using G-d and I should of used other words instead. This discussion made me realize this. Forgive me if I have offended anyone in doing so. And it doesn't offend me if everyone uses "God" either. To me you were just not convicted. That's all.

I appreciate all your comments in this discussion.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/07/13 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Well said!

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/07/13 09:22 PM

Quote:

That is exactly what transliteration is. You have expressed it very will. Transliteration never has any meaning attached to it.

Translation always has meaning and does not substitute letter for letter.

You are entitled to stated that therefore transliteration makes no sense. It has not been my purpose to explain the sense that it makes. But, you can believe that transliteration has sense, in a very narrow sense.

Gregory, show us how a transliteration yields God with a hyphen.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/08/13 03:02 AM

Transliteration does not yield G-d with a hyphen. It never will.

AS I have attempted to explain, Writing "G-d" in English comes from a different background.

Elle: Nothing to request forgiveness. The subject is complex. I Do not always express my thoughts well, especially when I attempt to make them short.

Of course, your responsibility is to do as you are convicted to do. Others may not be so convicted.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/08/13 06:55 PM

Transliteration does not yield G-d with a hyphen. It never will.
Ok, I thought that was what I and others were saying. I'm really confused now as to what it sounded like you were disagreeing with.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/10/13 12:37 AM

I have not discovered any serious reason to disagree with Gregory in this area. reading surrender

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/10/13 11:40 PM

And what do you agree with? At this point, I cannot know if I agree or disagree.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/11/13 12:22 AM

Pray for guidance

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/11/13 05:42 PM

I guess pray for the unknown and unspecified? Pray for knowledge of what to agree or disagree with? I guess Daniel found out what the king's dream is. I suppose God could reveal to me what Gregory thinks. I guess I have little faith of that happening. I'm thinking there's a disconnect somewhere.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d - 01/11/13 07:05 PM

It may not be essential to know what Gregory is thinking, but to know what you need to know. It is even more important to have no disconnection with Someone Else than Gregory.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church