Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP

Posted By: Daryl

Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 12/30/07 03:08 AM

Here is the link to a new quarter beginning with Lesson Study #1:

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/08a/less01nkjv.html

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 12/31/07 08:51 PM

After reading both the Sabbath afternoon and Sunday sections, I have a question to ask here that I hope can be answered.

What does the word discipleship mean?
Posted By: Johann

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 12/31/07 09:02 PM

You are not the only one asking that question. It seems unfamiliar to many Adventists.

I have the notion it will take the whole quarter to discover the real meeing of that word, and yet we may not understand it fully. So let's dig in and study!

Let's beware of patent qualifications unless well grounded in Scripture
Posted By: Dora

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/01/08 12:07 AM

What do we know about the principal contributor to our SS lessons? Here is a link to a site that tells us some things about him:

http://www.howard.edu/divinity/Faculty/bmelbourne.htm

It says he is a teacher of "Spiritual Formation," what does that phrase mean?
Posted By: asygo

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/01/08 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
What does the word discipleship mean?

There a chapter in SC that touches on that.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/02/08 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Dora
What do we know about the principal contributor to our SS lessons? Here is a link to a site that tells us some things about him:

You got his email on that page, why dont you ask him?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/02/08 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Dora

Interesting, thank you Dora. I copied the link on BlackSDA.
Posted By: Surrender

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/02/08 02:59 AM

See a definition here:
http://news.adventist.org/data/2004/1075843904/index.html.en

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/02/08 08:20 AM

I found this from ANN what Angel Rodriguez said about it.

We're trying to provide some guidelines to be used in the formation of Biblical Research Committees in the different divisions of the world," said Dr. Angel Manuel Rodriguez, director of the church's Biblical Research Institute, "with an intention of finding ways to work together in theology."

Rodriguez noted that these are guidelines, not requirements, and that divisions are free to adapt them as desired. One suggestion he hopes would gain traction is that any region establishing a Biblical Research Committee would include one or two Adventist theologians from other parts of the world. This "cross-fertilization" would help avoid regionalism, he said.

"If we want to stay together as a church in the area of doctrine and theology, we will have to continue to work diligently," Rodriguez told ANN. "Let us as theologians spend a little time together and think about our role in the mission of the church and listen to people from other parts of the world."

If such sharing takes place, he added, "we may not have the theological polarization that we have in some areas."

The Seventh-day Adventist Church, formally established 143 years ago, has long placed theology at the center of its life. In 2005, the church voted an additional statement of fundamental belief centering on spiritual formation and devotional life.

Here is that link: http://news.adventist.org/data/2006/1138809705/index.html.en

I also found the 28th belief (11th) which I had not before read in its' entirety.

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/02/08 07:27 PM

Again, interesting information, Dora. Thank you!

Now I'd like to know what you think of the term, discipleship. Is it a theological term or rather a term used to stir up our devotional thinking?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/02/08 08:51 PM

What did Jesus mean when he wanted all his followers to be diciples? The answer to this question becomes especially interesting from those people who may think that the word and perhaps even the concept is a theological mayfly.

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/03/08 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: västergötland
What did Jesus mean when he wanted all his followers to be diciples? The answer to this question becomes especially interesting from those people who may think that the word and perhaps even the concept is a theological mayfly.

So you don't think it is just a theological jargon? What is it then?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/03/08 01:34 AM

I think it is a word that atempts to capture the essence of what it means in daily life to "take up ones cross and follow Jesus, having counted the cost and found the price acceptable in relation to the immence worth of the hidden treasure". I think it is a word that is synonymous to being an apprentice of God. I think it is propably a word that describes the people we read about in the missionary story every week in church.

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/03/08 07:48 AM

Jesus said you need to hate your father, mother, wife, etc. in order to be a disciple?

How could Jesus make such a statement?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/03/08 07:55 AM

In Icelandic the lessons are called "Apostleship". Is apostleship and discipleship actually the same?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/03/08 07:56 AM

Are we called to be disciples, or do we volunteer?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/03/08 07:57 AM

What kind of a relationship is essential to be a disciple?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/03/08 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Johann
Jesus said you need to hate your father, mother, wife, etc. in order to be a disciple?

How could Jesus make such a statement?

The way that it is worded in the Good News Bible answers that question:
 Quote:

Luke 14:25 Once when large crowds of people were going along with Jesus, he turned and said to them,
26 "Those who come to me cannot be my disciples unless they love me more than they love father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and themselves as well.

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/03/08 03:45 PM

We are called to be disciples, and only after we have been called can we respond.

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/03/08 07:46 PM

My simple understanding is that a disciple is one who follows - is disciplined - by his teacher. In old times, there were many teachers who had disciples. The disciples of Christ were eventually called Christians.

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/04/08 08:40 AM

The lesson indicates the original disciples followed Jesus for selfish purposes. Can this be true? Why do I want to follow Jesus?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/04/08 03:54 PM

Pastor Johann,

I am not disagreeing with you, but where does it indicate in the lesson that the original disciples followed Jesus for selfish reasons?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/04/08 04:17 PM

The only place I can think of would be in relation to the deny himself words found in Matt. 16:24, 25; Mark 8:34, 35; and Luke 9:23 as brought out at the bottom of Wednesday's study.

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/04/08 04:38 PM

Friday's section contains a good question that I also want to ask here.

What is the difference between discipleship and church membership?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/04/08 07:52 PM

Daryl, I don't know if it refers in the lesson to any selfish reasons the disciples may have had. But, in Matt.20:20, Mrs. Zebedee had great ambitions for her boys, and though she was the one who asked for special privileges, her sons did not reject her thoughts. Also, for whatever reason, in v.24, 'when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the two brethren.' Were they also wanting special places? It does not say.

Of course, all of this was happening because they did not at all understand that Jesus' kingdom was not of this world. So, is it possible, that although the disciples did love and admire Jesus, they may also have been expecting certain "privileges" in His earthly kingdom which they were hoping He would soon establish?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/04/08 10:24 PM

Is it possible for us who are selfish sinners to start to follow Jesus for anything less than selfish reasons? Is it wrong or hypocritical to start ones journey with Jesus for selfish reasons?

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/04/08 10:26 PM

Church membership obligates you for two hours every weekend and possibly an hour on a weekday evening.
Dicipleship is a lifestyle.

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/04/08 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
Pastor Johann,

I am not disagreeing with you, but where does it indicate in the lesson that the original disciples followed Jesus for selfish reasons?

This is what Dr. Bruce Cameron says about next week's lesson:

Copr. 2008, Bruce N. Cameron, J.D. All scripture references are to the New International Version (NIV), copr. 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society, unless otherwise noted. Quotations from the NIV are used by permission of Zondervan Bible Publishers. Suggested answers are found within parentheses. The lesson assumes the teacher uses a blackboard or some other visual aid. This lesson can be found at: <url:http://www.GoBible.Org/study/485.php>
Introduction: You have probably heard more than one Christian say "I want to follow Jesus." Likely, you have said that very thing. How does that work today? In Jesus' time, the disciples literally followed Him around. What are we to do today? We learned last week that the disciples' original goal in following Jesus was self-interest. It made the disciples seem more like us! In what other ways were they like us? What about rivalry among disciples? Did that exist in the time of Jesus? Let's jump into the Bible and explore how we can be a better disciple now!

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/05/08 12:06 AM

Here is how Dr. Cameron comes to this conclusion in the present lesson:

3. Read John 1:29-31. Who did John the Baptist identify as the Messiah? (Jesus.)

4. Read John 1:35-37. With this background, tell me what you think motivated these two disciples to change allegiance from John to Jesus? (They heard John say Jesus was the "Lamb of God" - which meant He was the Messiah. They wanted to follow the Messiah, not the one who was preparing the way for the Messiah.)

5. Read John 1:40-41. Who seems to be motivating the switch of allegiance? Who is the moving force? (The disciples themselves.)

Re: Lesson Study # 1 - An Overview of DISCIPLESHIP - 01/05/08 02:57 AM

Is it possible for us who are selfish sinners to start to follow Jesus for anything less than selfish reasons?

No. We are selfish by nature, so God makes the initial contact.

Is it wrong or hypocritical to start ones journey with Jesus for selfish reasons?

No. But if one stays in that condition, it will prove eternally fatal.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church