Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants

Posted By: asygo

Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/01/11 08:07 PM

Here is the link to the study and discussion material for Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants

Here are some study helps: Study Helps, Lesson 10

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/01/11 08:39 PM

I was hoping to spend some quality time with this week's lesson, but life has a way of throwing curve balls when you least expect it. Anyway, here are some thoughts on Sarah/Isaac vs Hagar/Ishmael....

We have seen that Abraham accepted God's promise and it was imputed to him as righteousness, apart from his own works. However, it took some time for the promise to be realized. Considering that Abraham and Sarah were still childless after 10 years, it is not really surprising that they got impatient. How many of us have been able to wait 10 years for a promise to be fulfilled?

At this point, they decided to help God along. Keep in mind that they did not intend to disobey God. Rather, they were going to help God fulfill His promise. So they hatched this fleshly plan.

Isn't that exactly the fundamental problem of the Old Covenant? God promised the people that He would make them a holy nation, and the people promised God that they would help Him. "All that You have said, we will do." Such presumption!

It is obviously sin when we choose to contradict God's will. But is it less of a sin to use the flesh in order to fulfill God's will? It may be more of a sin, considering that it is, at its root, a form of Satan's fall - I will be like the Most High. Plus, it is surely more insidious, since the sinner is trying to do God's will.

The law is beyond the sinner's ability to fulfill. It is only by accepting God's righteousness that we can have the necessary righteousness to meet the law's demands. We are saved by accepting God's gifts, not by replicating His righteousness. We must accept that we fall short, that we cannot do otherwise, and receive His promise of grace to fill our need.

Abraham and Sarah knew that it was beyond their ability to have children. But instead of allowing God to lay man's glory in the dust in His own way and in His own time, they chose a carnal method of "glorifying" God. They used their own resources to try to accomplish what can only be done by God's grace.

In contrast, when Isaac was finally conceived, it was obviously by God's special intervention. Though Abraham and Sarah had a part to play, it is clear that their part was insufficient for the task; God receives all the credit.

The same is true in salvation. Both the Old Covenant and New Covenant are founded on God's holy law. But the OC relied on man's ability to become holy. The NC relies solely on man's willingness to receive God's holiness. And if we try to mix our own human efforts to obey as a means of salvation, we contaminate God's plan. We would be as guilty as Moses when he hit the Rock.

Sadly, that's all the time I have for now.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/02/11 12:58 AM

Let's continue with the parable at hand. We have Isaac as God's promised gift. Were Abraham and Sarah supposed to do something before they were ready for the gift? Yes. They were to wait (25 years, it turns out). They were to trust. They were to refrain from carnal ways to fulfill God's promise. And on the more active side, Abraham had to perform the sacrifices to seal the covenant. Lastly, without getting into too much detail, Isaac was not a virgin birth. So yes, there was much to do.

Was there anything to do after the promised gift had been given? Yes. They were to "Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman." (Galatians 4:30) That means our fleshly plans and the fruits of such fleshly labors are to be cast away. Circumcision, I'm sure, was a clear reminder that our fleshly endeavors have no part in God's work. God's promises are not to be mingled with our profane works.

They were to take care of Isaac. That means everything that would hinder his growth and proper development were not to be tolerated. As much as Abraham loved Ishmael, he had to make a choice. The choice was clear, though extremely difficult. So also, if we are to cultivate our spiritual growth, we must abstain from everything that wars against the soul.

Faith in God must be maintained as the foundation of our Christian experience. After Ishmael was gone, and Isaac was left as Abraham's "only" son, God commanded Abraham to sacrifice the promised heir. Abraham's fleshly attempt to fulfill God's promise had been removed, and God commands Abraham: "Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you." (Genesis 22:2) Has Abraham now learned that God is able to fulfill His promises in spite of everything our human eyes can see and our human reason can understand? Or will he revert to trusting in his human ability to save the day? We know that Abraham, the father of faith, had learned that faith in God, no matter what, is the foundation of our relationship with Him.

Yes, there is a lot to do both before and after conversion. But on both sides of the fence, the key is to walk in the Spirit, not in the flesh. We need to understand that while invoking the Spirit's name in the act disobeying God does not constitute walking in the Spirit, using the arm of flesh as a means to meet God's standard of perfection does constitute walking in the flesh.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/02/11 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: asygo
We are saved by accepting God's gifts, not by replicating His righteousness.

Both are required - faith and good works. We are saved unto good works. "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." "That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." Ellen observed:

Quote:
Faith without works is dead, being alone. Those who profess great faith, yet have not works, will not be saved by their faith. {2T 657.2}

While good works will not save even one soul, yet it is impossible for even one soul to be saved without good works. {FW 111.1}

Man cannot be saved without obedience, but his works should not be of himself; Christ should work in him to will and to do of His good pleasure. . . . All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin; but that which is wrought through faith is acceptable to God. {AG 177.4}

We do not earn salvation by our obedience; for salvation is the free gift of God, to be received by faith. But obedience is the fruit of faith. {SC 61.1}

Again, both faith and good works are the conditions of salvation.

Both the Old Covenant and New Covenant are founded on God's holy law. But the OC relied on man's ability to become holy. The NC relies solely on man's willingness to receive God's holiness.

I disagree. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
"And all the people answered together, and said, All that the Lord hath spoken we will do." This covenant is of just as much force today as it was when the Lord made it with ancient Israel. . . This is the pledge that God's people are to make in these last days. Their acceptance with God depends on a faithful fulfilment of the terms of their agreement with Him. God includes in His covenant all who will obey Him. {1BC 1103.11}

Both the OC and the NC are based on righteousness by faith. The main difference has to do with the sacrificial services. Under the NC we are no longer required to sacrifice animals. Also, now that Israel failed to remain God's chosen nation, certain rules and regulations no longer apply to the Church.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/02/11 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
We are saved by accepting God's gifts, not by replicating His righteousness.

Both are required - faith and good works. We are saved unto good works. "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." "That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

We are not saved BY good works. Clearly, we are saved FOR good works, but not BY good works. "Not of works, lest anyone should boast."

The difference is huge. It is the difference between the OC and the NC. But it looks like we disagree there also. I'll post more later.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/03/11 08:01 AM

Both the OC and the NC are based on righteousness by faith. The main difference has to do with the sacrificial services. Under the NC we are no longer required to sacrifice animals. Also, now that Israel failed to remain God's chosen nation, certain rules and regulations no longer apply to the Church.

The difference was much more fundamental than that.
Quote:
The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Deuteronomy 27:26. The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins and of the grace of God to renew the heart and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law. "This shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts. . . . I will forgive their iniquity, and will remember their sin no more." Jeremiah 31:33, 34. {PP 372.1}

The OC was founded on righteousness by works. "Obey and live" was the requirement. Here's how the Israelites saw the plan of salvation:
Quote:
The people did not realize the sinfulness of their own hearts, and that without Christ it was impossible for them to keep God's law; and they readily entered into covenant with God. Feeling that they were able to establish their own righteousness, they declared, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient." Exodus 24:7. {PP 371.4}

What about your quote? I will address that next time.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/03/11 09:13 AM

Let's look at your quote from the original sources. It turns out that it is actually snips from two different articles in two different periodicals. The first article is "Hold Fast the Faith" from The Southern Watchman. The second article is "Our Work" from The Review and Herald.

Just from the titles, we can gather that they focus on different things. But somehow, they both refer to the covenant made at Sinai.

Quote:
The covenant that God made with his people at Sinai is to be our refuge and defense. The Lord said to Moses:-- {SW, March 1, 1904 par. 40}

"Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. Now, therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people; for all the earth is mine, and ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation." {SW, March 1, 1904 par. 41}

"And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words." {SW, March 1, 1904 par. 42}

"And all the people answered together, and said, All that the Lord hath spoken we will do." {SW, March 1, 1904 par. 43}

This covenant is of just as much force today as it was when the Lord made it with ancient Israel. {SW, March 1, 1904 par. 44}

What is "this covenant" that is "of just as much force today"? Who made this covenant? The text clearly says that God made this covenant. It is the covenant, in summary, to make His people a holy nation.

Why did she bring this up? Here's what she wrote just before this:
Quote:
The people of God will conquer through the Holy Spirit's working, which is stronger than miracles or aught else. It is from the Lord that we are to obtain power. {SW, March 1, 1904 par. 39}

She was talking about how we are to conquer, how we are to obtain power. And how do we do that? By accepting His promise to make us a holy nation.

How was Israel's salvation effected? Was it because they were such a strong nation, a powerful people? No. It was because God saved them, in spite of themselves. "Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself."

That covenant is in full effect today. The weakest of the weak can overcome if he allows God to save him. Today, as it was then, we can be freed from sin, not by our valiant efforts, but only as God frees us. This is how we are saved.

Quote:
"Moses went up unto God, and the Lord called him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bear you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed,"--in truth, earnestness, and sincerity,--"and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me . . . for all the earth is mine: and ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. {RH, June 23, 1904 par. 6}

"And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the Lord commanded him. And all the people answered together, and said, All that the Lord hath spoken we will do." {RH, June 23, 1904 par. 7}

This is the pledge that God's people are to make in these last days. Their acceptance with God depends on a faithful fulfilment of the terms of their agreement with him. God includes in his covenant all who will obey him. To all who will do justice and judgment, keeping their hand from doing any evil, the promise is, "Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off." {RH, June 23, 1904 par. 8}

Here, we find a different aspect of truth. There is work for us to do. Yes, we are to obey.

However, we do not obey in order for God to save us. We cannot obey unless God saves us first.

Our obedience, our pledge to do all He has spoken, is a loving response to what He has already done for us. Our obedience is not what makes the New Covenant effective. Rather, it is the New Covenant being effective that makes our obedience possible.

Further, our obedience is our "part" of the bargain if we are to continue in the NC. This is where it could get confusing. Obedience is part of the NC, but not the means to effect the NC. It is the result of partaking of the NC.

In contrast, the OC required obedience in order to be saved. First you obey, then you live.

The NC, founded on better promises, is that you accept the life God is offering, then you obey.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/04/11 12:43 AM

Arnold, we agree the result of faith is obedience and righteousness. It is inconceivable He would require of the Jews a covenant impossible to keep. "God is true. He changes not. The conditions of salvation are ever the same. Life, eternal life, is for all who will obey God's law. {AG 136} "Under the new covenant, the conditions by which eternal life may be gained are the same as under the old. The conditions are, and ever have been, based on perfect obedience. {8MR 31.1}

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/04/11 09:59 PM

It is inconceivable He would require of the Jews a covenant impossible to keep.

He didn't require it of them. The NC has been available since Adam.

However, the Israelites, after being in bondage for 4 centuries, had lost sight of God's holiness and what it means to be His child. The had forgotten how high His standards are. The OC's purpose was make them realize the impossibility of earning God's favor by their obedience.

"Under the new covenant, the conditions by which eternal life may be gained are the same as under the old. The conditions are, and ever have been, based on perfect obedience. {8MR 31.1}

Yes, perfect obedience has always been required. The big difference is that in the OC, that obedience was to be rendered by the sinner - an impossibility. In the NC, that obedience has been rendered fully by Jesus; all the sinner needs to do is to receive it by faith.

I think our disagreement stems from your belief that your obedience can be improved to the point that it can be accepted by God as-is. I believe that even our best obedience must be cleansed by Christ's blood and His righteousness imputed to us.
Posted By: Colin

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/05/11 12:21 AM

Fellas, there are TWO meanings to OC,...remember? cool

I'll get to the NC just now. smile

The temporal OC was the sacrificial system, lasting from Adam till Golgatha, the promise of the everlasting covenant fulfilled, and this OC is true Gospel, of course: truly OT & NT. The other OC is the opposite of the NC, excluding as it does the new birth of justification by faith, thus foisting on the flesh the task of perfect obedience - which is a lost cause and utterly frustrating: Hence, Jn 3:3.

Again, there are two types of OC: sacrifices ordained by God to reconcile man to God - pointing to the sacrifice of the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world; the other OC is the will of man instead of submitting to the will of God by the new birth.

Obedience is the unambiguous will of God for us, so the experience of the NC: based on the new birth of true justification by faith, this obedience of faith is obvious to relate as the life of justification. But..., obvious only for justifition which is the experience of the new birth.
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/05/11 03:59 AM

The so-called "new" covenant is just a renewed "old" covenant in a sense. In fact, the "new covenant" pre-existed the "old covenant," and trumps it, if we want to be technical (which we usually do).

The new covenant existed before Adam and Eve were created. It involves perfect obedience to God's law, just as the old covenant does. The difference I see between the two is primarily the source of our obedience. Are we doing good works in order TO BE good, or are we doing them because we ARE good. Put another way, is our motivation for doing the good works extrinsic or intrinsic.

God says He will write His laws upon our hearts, not just on our door posts. That's the difference between the old and the new. Where is the law written?

The law is exactly the same in both covenants. The new covenant does nothing to change God's requirement of our obedience. He explicitly stated that He did not come to destroy the law...and that heaven and earth would pass away before so much as a jot or tittle of it should fade.

One of the keys to understanding the "new covenant" is to understand the usage of the word "new" in the Greek. The word is "kainos." Look it up and compare to other passages in the NT where it is used.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/05/11 07:54 PM

Quote:
Asygo: "Under the new covenant, the conditions by which eternal life may be gained are the same as under the old. The conditions are, and ever have been, based on perfect obedience. {8MR 31.1} Yes, perfect obedience has always been required. The big difference is that in the OC, that obedience was to be rendered by the sinner - an impossibility. In the NC, that obedience has been rendered fully by Jesus; all the sinner needs to do is to receive it by faith.

Colin: The other OC is the opposite of the NC, excluding as it does the new birth of justification by faith, thus foisting on the flesh the task of perfect obedience - which is a lost cause and utterly frustrating: Hence, Jn 3:3.

A covenant is an agreement between two people or two parties. The OC was an agreement between God and the Jews. God laid out the law of life and living and the Jews agreed to live in harmony with it. "'All that the Lord hath spoken we will do.' This is the pledge that God's people are to make in these last days. Their acceptance with God depends on a faithful fulfilment of the terms of their agreement with him."

I hear you two saying, no, the OC was flawed because it required (expected, depended on) the Jews to render obedience without God's supernatural aid. I disagree. True, the Jews, like so many today, attempted to obey without God's help; however, it is not proof the OC was flawed, not any more than it is proof the NC is flawed because people nowadays attempt the same thing.

Why would God agree to a covenant you two believe was flawed and impossible to keep? Who established the terms and conditions of the OC? Was it not God Himself? I find it difficult to believe God established a covenant no one could keep. To what purpose? What if the Jews had refused it? What if they had insisted on the Abrahamic Covenant instead? Did they have a choice? Was Moses as ignorant as the Jews?

Quote:
Asygo: I think our disagreement stems from your belief that your obedience can be improved to the point that it can be accepted by God as-is. I believe that even our best obedience must be cleansed by Christ's blood and His righteousness imputed to us.

You wrote, "Yes, perfect obedience has always been required." Ellen wrote, "Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression." Here's why and how: "It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ's nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression. He who sees the Son by faith and believes in Him, is obedient to the commandments of God, and in this obedience he finds everlasting life." The idea that this kind of obedience and righteousness is somehow sinful and requires the covering, atoning blood of Jesus to ascend acceptable to the Father calls into question several pillars of faith.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/07/11 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Colin
Fellas, there are TWO meanings to OC,...remember? cool
The temporal OC was the sacrificial system, lasting from Adam till Golgatha,
Again, there are two types of OC: sacrifices ordained by God to reconcile man to God - pointing to the sacrifice of the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world; the other OC is the will of man instead of submitting to the will of God by the new birth.

I disagree. There is only one OC - the second one that you describe. The covenant made with sinful Adam, requiring sacrifices, was the New Covenant.
Quote:
As the Bible presents two laws, one changeless and eternal, the other provisional and temporary, so there are two covenants. The covenant of grace was first made with man in Eden, when after the Fall there was given a divine promise that the seed of the woman should bruise the serpent's head. To all men this covenant offered pardon and the assisting grace of God for future obedience through faith in Christ. It also promised them eternal life on condition of fidelity to God's law. Thus the patriarchs received the hope of salvation. {PP 370.2}

This same covenant was renewed to Abraham ... {PP 370.3}

Though this covenant was made with Adam and renewed to Abraham, it could not be ratified until the death of Christ. It had existed by the promise of God since the first intimation of redemption had been given; it had been accepted by faith; yet when ratified by Christ, it is called a new covenant. The law of God was the basis of this covenant, which was simply an arrangement for bringing men again into harmony with the divine will, placing them where they could obey God's law. {PP 370.4}

If Adam ever participated in the OC, it was before his fall. At that time, he could "obey and live." But after sin entered, the only way for man to live was by the NC, which I think is summarized well this way: If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/07/11 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
God says He will write His laws upon our hearts, not just on our door posts. That's the difference between the old and the new. Where is the law written?

That's a very good way of putting it.

OC: You obey the law written on stone in order to be given life.
NC: You are given life in order to live out the law written on your heart.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/07/11 09:59 PM

I hear you two saying, no, the OC was flawed because it required (expected, depended on) the Jews to render obedience without God's supernatural aid. I disagree. True, the Jews, like so many today, attempted to obey without God's help; however, it is not proof the OC was flawed, not any more than it is proof the NC is flawed because people nowadays attempt the same thing.

Quote:
The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Deuteronomy 27:26. The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins and of the grace of God to renew the heart and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law. "This shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts. . . . I will forgive their iniquity, and will remember their sin no more." Jeremiah 31:33, 34. {PP 372.1}

The same law that was engraved upon the tables of stone is written by the Holy Spirit upon the tables of the heart. Instead of going about to establish our own righteousness we accept the righteousness of Christ. His blood atones for our sins. His obedience is accepted for us. Then the heart renewed by the Holy Spirit will bring forth "the fruits of the Spirit." Through the grace of Christ we shall live in obedience to the law of God written upon our hearts. Having the Spirit of Christ, we shall walk even as He walked. {PP 372.2}

While there are some similarities, the NC is fundamentally different from the OC. Yes, the same law is the foundation of both, but the provision for keeping that law cannot be more different.

The OC was demonstrated by Cain. He gave the best fruits of his labors, by them expecting to be brought into favor with God. The Israelites thought to do the same. But that is impossible.

The only way to be brought into God's favor is by the sacrifice of Jesus, demonstrated by Abel. Our obedience, our sacrifice, our anything and everything is insufficient. Only Jesus supplies the necessary grace.

But when we receive that grace, and only by receiving that grace, we are enabled to "live in obedience to the law of God written upon our hearts."

Why would God agree to a covenant you two believe was flawed and impossible to keep? Who established the terms and conditions of the OC? Was it not God Himself?

God laid out His law, which has always been the same. But the people made a foolish promise. It was a bad promise. Hence, the need for "better promises."

I find it difficult to believe God established a covenant no one could keep. To what purpose?

Here's the inspired answer:
Quote:
But if the Abrahamic covenant contained the promise of redemption, why was another covenant formed at Sinai? In their bondage the people had to a great extent lost the knowledge of God and of the principles of the Abrahamic covenant. In delivering them from Egypt, God sought to reveal to them His power and His mercy, that they might be led to love and trust Him. He brought them down to the Red Sea--where, pursued by the Egyptians, escape seemed impossible--that they might realize their utter helplessness, their need of divine aid; and then He wrought deliverance for them. Thus they were filled with love and gratitude to God and with confidence in His power to help them. He had bound them to Himself as their deliverer from temporal bondage. {PP 371.2}

But there was a still greater truth to be impressed upon their minds. Living in the midst of idolatry and corruption, they had no true conception of the holiness of God, of the exceeding sinfulness of their own hearts, their utter inability, in themselves, to render obedience to God's law, and their need of a Saviour. All this they must be taught. {PP 371.3}

What if the Jews had refused it? What if they had insisted on the Abrahamic Covenant instead? Did they have a choice? Was Moses as ignorant as the Jews?

Then God would have been quite pleased.

Moses was not ignorant. In fact, he played his part as the symbol of Christ by offering his life for the people.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/08/11 07:55 PM

Arnold, thank you for sharing your point of view. You seem convinced God created a flawed covenant in order to teach the Jews they are incapable of rendering obedience without His supernatural aid. Just exactly how did the terms and conditions of the OC teach them? And, how do the terms and conditions of the NC differ from the OC? Did God cancel the OC after the Jews sinned and repented? Ellen wrote:

Quote:
. . . and yet only a few weeks passed before they broke their covenant with God, and bowed down to worship a graven image. They could not hope for the favor of God through a covenant which they had broken . . .{PP 371.4}

Did Abraham fare any better? It wasn't long before he broke his covenant with God. And, what about us? We break our covenant with God several times a day. Does have to create another covenant every time we sin?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 01:08 AM

MM, I think you are missing a crucial difference between the OC and the NC. The OC was "obey and live." Once you fail to obey, you die. Period.

The NC was designed for those who have failed to obey. These sinners are offered redemption.

Failure to comply with the OC meant sure and eternal death. Failure to comply with the NC meant the sinner needed to confess, repent, and try again. The OC offers no hope to the sinner, while the NC is the only hope for the sinner.

Failure to obey has been a constant of human history, so there's no surprise that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. You will not have any difficulty finding examples of failure to keep either covenant. But you cannot find a single example of a sinner who was able to pull himself up by the bootstraps and comply with the Old Covenant.

The surprise to me is that people are still trying to live by a covenant that was proven to be a complete and utter failure 6000 years ago.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 02:01 AM

Please don't quote that verse from the NIV, Arnold! It perverts the truth.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 04:11 AM

MM, I think you are missing a crucial difference between the OC and the NC. The OC was "obey and live." Once you fail to obey, you die. Period. The NC was designed for those who have failed to obey. These sinners are offered redemption. Failure to comply with the OC meant sure and eternal death. Failure to comply with the NC meant the sinner needed to confess, repent, and try again. The OC offers no hope to the sinner, while the NC is the only hope for the sinner. Failure to obey has been a constant of human history, so there's no surprise that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. You will not have any difficulty finding examples of failure to keep either covenant. But you cannot find a single example of a sinner who was able to pull himself up by the bootstraps and comply with the Old Covenant. The surprise to me is that people are still trying to live by a covenant that was proven to be a complete and utter failure 6000 years ago.

1. Disobey and die = OC.
2. Disobey and live = NC.

Are you sure?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 04:36 AM

Please don't quote that verse from the NIV, Arnold! It perverts the truth.

What verse? There's only one verse that I prefer in the NIV over the NKJV, and I haven't quoted it here for a very long time.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 04:45 AM

It was Rom. 3:23. Perhaps you've heard it from the NIV so often that you didn't realize you were quoting the NIV and not the KJV.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 04:48 AM

1. Disobey and die = OC.
2. Disobey and live = NC.

Are you sure?

I'm sure that's not it.

1. Disobey and die immediately and forever = OC.
2. Disobey and live for a time of probation = NC.

This should be basic Adventism. Are you disagreeing with this?

Quote:
By rebellion and apostasy man forfeited the favor of God; not his rights, for he could have no value except as it was invested in God's dear Son. This point must be understood. He forfeited those privileges which God in His mercy presented him as a free gift, a treasure in trust to be used to advance His cause and His glory, to benefit the beings He had made. The moment the workmanship of God refused obedience to the laws of God's kingdom, that moment he became disloyal to the government of God and he made himself entirely unworthy of all the blessings wherewith God had favored him. {FW 21.1}

This was the position of the human race after man divorced himself from God by transgression. Then he was no longer entitled to a breath of air, a ray of sunshine, or a particle of food. And the reason why man was not annihilated was because God so loved him that He made the gift of His dear Son that He should suffer the penalty of his transgression. Christ proposed to become man's surety and substitute, that man, through matchless grace, should have another trial--a second probation--having the experience of Adam and Eve as a warning not to transgress God's law as they did. And inasmuch as man enjoys the blessings of God in the gift of the sunshine and the gift of food, there must be on the part of man a bowing before God in thankful acknowledgment that all things come of God. Whatever is rendered back to Him is only His own who has given it. {FW 21.2}

Man broke God's law, and through the Redeemer new and fresh promises were made on a different basis. All blessings must come through a Mediator. Now every member of the human family is given wholly into the hands of Christ, and whatever we possess--whether it is the gift of money, of houses, of lands, of reasoning powers, of physical strength, of intellectual talents--in this present life, and the blessings of the future life, are placed in our possession as God's treasures to be faithfully expended for the benefit of man. Every gift is stamped with the cross and bears the image and superscription of Jesus Christ. All things come of God. From the smallest benefits up to the largest blessing, all flow through the one Channel--a superhuman mediation sprinkled with the blood that is of value beyond estimate because it was the life of God in His Son. {FW 22.1}

Now not a soul can give God anything that is not already His. Bear this in mind: "All things come of Thee, and of Thine own have we given Thee" (1 Chronicles 29:14). This must be kept before the people wherever we go--that we possess nothing, can offer nothing in value, in work, in faith, which we have not first received of God and upon which He can lay His hand any time and say, They are Mine--gifts and blessings and endowments I entrusted to you, not to enrich yourself, but for wise improvement to benefit the world. {FW 22.2}

Not only does this summarize the NC, but it reminds us how preposterous it is to even consider that we can earn brownie points with God by simply returning to Him what He gave us in the first place, but with the unsavory addition of our corruption.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 04:52 AM

Arnold,

In some situations, verb tense is everything. This is one of those. We've got to keep a close eye on those tenses, or the covenants will be misrepresented and misunderstood. smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 04:56 AM

It was Rom. 3:23. Perhaps you've heard it from the NIV so often that you didn't realize you were quoting the NIV and not the KJV.

No, that was from the NKJV, which I have read and heard many times. It's a coincidence that the NIV uses similar words.

In any case, I don't know that there's a problem between come and fall. Perhaps we can discuss this in Why the King James Version is Superior....

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 04:58 AM

In some situations, verb tense is everything. This is one of those. We've got to keep a close eye on those tenses, or the covenants will be misrepresented and misunderstood. smile

Certainly we want to avoid misunderstandings, especially in such an important topic. Please elaborate.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 05:15 AM

Arnold,

Your new covenant theology seems a little edgy to me with its handling of the sin/confession/repentance cycle. You've made some good points. However, quoting one of the newer translations which says we must continue to fall implies that we can never truly be free of sin. I do not accept such a translation, nor philosophy. I believe it contradicts the messages we find elsewhere in the Bible and in Ellen White's writings.

Keep the sinning as past tense. There is no need for us to remain slaves to sin. We can be free!

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 08:48 AM

GC,

The KJV also renders Rom 3:23 in the present tense. It does not say that all sinned and used to come short of the glory of God. I have never seen that verse translated in the past tense.

The NC requires faith in Christ's atoning blood at the start, end, and every moment in between. There is never a point where we say, "Thanks, Jesus, but I can handle it from here on out. I don't need your covering anymore."

Plus, the NC is not a sin/confession/repentance cycle. Yes, there is sin/confession/repentance, but repentance always comes with reformation. However, we are to maintain a spirit of repentance, contrition, etc. Even our best works need Christ's blood to make them acceptable to God.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 08:52 AM

However, quoting one of the newer translations which says we must continue to fall implies that we can never truly be free of sin.

We don't continue to fall, but we continue to be fallen sinners. If we die with Christ, we are freed from sin, not free of sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 09:02 AM

GC,

The KJV also renders Rom 3:23 in the present tense. It does not say that all sinned and used to come short of the glory of God. I have never seen that verse translated in the past tense.

The NC requires faith in Christ's atoning blood at the start, end, and every moment in between. There is never a point where we say, "Thanks, Jesus, but I can handle it from here on out. I don't need your covering anymore."

Plus, the NC is not a sin/confession/repentance cycle. Yes, there is sin/confession/repentance, but repentance always comes with reformation. However, we are to maintain a spirit of repentance, contrition, etc. Even our best works need Christ's blood to make them acceptable to God.

Arnold,

The English translation that appears in the KJV can be interpreted one of two ways:

1) compound past tense verb, i.e. (have sinned and have come short)
2) separate past tense and present tense verbs: (have sinned, past) and (come short, present)

However, what exactly does "come short" mean? Does it mean "sin?" I submit that this is not necessarily the case. After all, will we ever equal God's glory? We never will. Yet we will be sinless. Even the angels may come short of the Glory of God.

In other words, neither of the two possible interpretations of the KJV wording forces a present tense sin or sinning.

Now, look at the NIV/NKJV wording. Only one word has changed. But it makes all the difference in the world.

The "have sinned" still is in past tense, and "fall" is now decisively in the present tense, not being a possible part of a compound verb. However, "fall" implies a clear direction of travel from a higher state to a lower one, ergo "sin."

So it is essentially stating that one must continue to sin, present tense, with no hope of changing this side of translation to Heaven. This also means that Jesus gave an impossible command in "be ye therefore perfect."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 09:08 AM

However, quoting one of the newer translations which says we must continue to fall implies that we can never truly be free of sin.

We don't continue to fall, but we continue to be fallen sinners. If we die with Christ, we are freed from sin, not free of sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Again, the verb tense difference between "fall" and "fallen" makes all the difference, doesn't it?

Regarding being "freed from sin, not free of sin," I say that is an oxymoron. If God is not powerful enough to help us stop sinning, there is no hope for us. If Jesus has to simply do it for us because we cannot possibly be led or aided by Him to do right ourselves, why am I still a Christian? Honestly, Arnold, if I believed what you imply here, I would have given up long ago. I refuse to believe God is so impotent as to be unable to help me be free of every taint of sin, not just escape sin's consequences through the vicarious perfection of Christ.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 09:11 AM

Just 2 quickies for now:

1. Does the Textus Receptus give the option of a compound past perfect tense in Rom 3:23?

2. God's glory is His character, yes? Is it OK to come short of His character? Or are we called to have a character like His?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 09:18 AM

Honestly, Arnold, if I believed what you imply here, I would have given up long ago. I refuse to believe God is so impotent as to be unable to help me be free of every taint of sin, not just escape sin's consequences through the vicarious perfection of Christ.

That made me laugh out loud.

I contrast it with my father who says that if he believed as I do, he would have given up being a Christian long ago because he can't believe in a God who is so impotent that He needs help from sinners to get the job done.

He will free you and me from every taint of sin. But it might not be according to our schedule. From the cross to the crown there is earnest work to be done, there is wrestling against inbred sin and outward wrong.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/09/11 09:30 AM

Just 2 quickies for now:

1. Does the Textus Receptus give the option of a compound past perfect tense in Rom 3:23?

2. God's glory is His character, yes? Is it OK to come short of His character? Or are we called to have a character like His?

I don't have an answer to your #1, as I'm not a scholar in the Biblical languages.

Regarding number two, I believe God's character is a major part of His glory, but that there's more to it than just that. The Bible speaks of there being no need for the light of the sun in the New Earth because God's glory will be its light. I don't imagine us ever having a light that shines as brilliantly as God's will, do you?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/10/11 07:44 PM

1. Disobey and die immediately and forever = OC.
2. Disobey and live for a time of probation = NC.

This should be basic Adventism. Are you disagreeing with this?

1. Aaron disobeyed under the OC and he lived. Please explain.
2. When did the Jews switch from the OC to the NC?

Quote:
"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which My covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: but this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put My law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be My people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know Me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." Jeremiah 31:10-14, 23-25, 31-34.

As of the time of Jeremiah Jesus still hadn't entered into NC status with the Jews.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/10/11 08:26 PM

He will free you and me from every taint of sin. But it might not be according to our schedule. From the cross to the crown there is earnest work to be done, there is wrestling against inbred sin and outward wrong.

When will Jesus set us free? What is He waiting for? What does inbred sin have to with it? In what way is the NC "better" if, as you say, Jesus cannot set us free now? Ellen wrote:

Quote:
The new-covenant promise is, "I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them." {MB 50.2}

Perfection of character is attainable by every one who strives for it. This is made the very foundation of the new covenant of the gospel. The law of Jehovah is the tree; the gospel is the fragrant blossoms and fruit which it bears. {AG 141.3}

The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins and of the grace of God to renew the heart and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law. {AG 136.4}

The blessings of the new covenant are grounded purely on mercy in forgiving unrighteousness and sins. . . . All who humble their hearts, confessing their sins, will find mercy and grace and assurance. Has God, in showing mercy to the sinner, ceased to be just? Has He dishonored His holy law, and will He henceforth pass over the violation of it? God is true. He changes not. The conditions of salvation are ever the same. Life, eternal life, is for all who will obey God's law. . . . {AG 136.5}

Under the new covenant, the conditions by which eternal life may be gained are the same as under the old--perfect obedience. . . . In the new and better covenant, Christ has fulfilled the law for the transgressors of law, if they receive Him by faith as a personal Saviour. . . . In the better covenant we are cleansed from sin by the blood of Christ. {AG 136.6}

When the principle of love is implanted in the heart, when man is renewed after the image of Him that created him, the new-covenant promise is fulfilled, "I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them." Hebrews 10:16. And if the law is written in the heart, will it not shape the life? Obedience--the service and allegiance of love--is the true sign of discipleship. Thus the Scripture says, "This is the love of God, that we keep His commandments." "He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1 John 5:3; 2:4. Instead of releasing man from obedience, it is faith, and faith only, that makes us partakers of the grace of Christ, which enables us to render obedience. {SC 60.2}

There is no evidence in these passages that Jesus waits to set us free. How can people whom Jesus has renewed with a new nature, a new heart, a new mind, new motives, new tastes, and new tendencies yield the sinful, sin-stained obedience and righteousness you speak of?
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/10/11 11:07 PM

Sorry, I know the question was addressed to Arnold, but I couldn't resist it. smile
Quote:

He was forgiven under the abrahamic (new) covenant. There was no promise of forgiveness under the terms of the old covenant.

In the old dispensation believers were saved through the grace of Christ, as presented in the gospel, as we are saved today. The only means of salvation is provided under the Abrahamic covenant. {ST, September 5, 1892 par. 4}

Quote:

They had witnessed the proclamation of the law in awful majesty, and had trembled with terror before the mount; and yet only a few weeks passed before they broke their covenant with God, and bowed down to worship a graven image. They could not hope for the favor of God through a covenant which they had broken; and now, seeing their sinfulness and their need of pardon, they were brought to feel their need of the Saviour revealed in the Abrahamic covenant and shadowed forth in the sacrificial offerings. Now by faith and love they were bound to God as their deliverer from the bondage of sin. Now they were prepared to appreciate the blessings of the new covenant. {PP 371.4}

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/11/11 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Rosangela

He was forgiven under the abrahamic (new) covenant. There was no promise of forgiveness under the terms of the old covenant. "In the old dispensation believers were saved through the grace of Christ, as presented in the gospel, as we are saved today. The only means of salvation is provided under the Abrahamic covenant. {ST, September 5, 1892 par. 4}

Was Aaron ever under the terms and conditions of the OC?

Also, if being under the OC is negative, why, then, did Ellen speak of it in positive terms? "The covenant that God made with His people at Sinai is to be our refuge and defense. . . This covenant is of just as much force today as it was when the Lord made it with ancient Israel. . . 'All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient.' This is the pledge that God's people are to make in these last days."

Quote:

"They had witnessed the proclamation of the law in awful majesty, and had trembled with terror before the mount; and yet only a few weeks passed before they broke their covenant with God, and bowed down to worship a graven image. They could not hope for the favor of God through a covenant which they had broken; and now, seeing their sinfulness and their need of pardon, they were brought to feel their need of the Saviour revealed in the Abrahamic covenant and shadowed forth in the sacrificial offerings. Now by faith and love they were bound to God as their deliverer from the bondage of sin. Now they were prepared to appreciate the blessings of the new covenant. {PP 371.4}

Was appreciating the "blessings of the new covenant" the same thing as switching from the OC to the NC? If so, why did Jeremiah speak of it happening in future?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/11/11 07:40 PM

Quote:
Was Aaron ever under the terms and conditions of the OC?

The OC was only a teaching tool to lead to the NC. To be under the terms of the OC was death; the OC was "the ministration of death" (2 Cor. 3:7).

Quote:
Also, if being under the OC is negative, why, then, did Ellen speak of it in positive terms? "The covenant that God made with His people at Sinai is to be our refuge and defense. . . This covenant is of just as much force today as it was when the Lord made it with ancient Israel. . . 'All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient.' This is the pledge that God's people are to make in these last days."

The question is, Was there only one covenant at Sinai? Read Ex 19:3-8 and Ex 24:2-8.

Quote:
Was appreciating the "blessings of the new covenant" the same thing as switching from the OC to the NC? If so, why did Jeremiah speak of it happening in future?

Yes, it was the same as switching from the OC to the NC. The NC would be ratified in the future, by Christ's blood, but it existed since the fall (Gn 3:15), and it was renewed with Abraham (Gn 12:3). It is the Abrahamic covenant - the covenant of grace by faith. "And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Gl 3:29).

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/12/11 07:41 PM

M: Was Aaron ever under the terms and conditions of the OC?

R: The OC was only a teaching tool to lead to the NC. To be under the terms of the OC was death; the OC was "the ministration of death" (2 Cor. 3:7).

If he was never under the OC how, then, did he break it? ". . . only a few weeks passed before they broke their covenant with God, and bowed down to worship a graven image." If breaking the OC resulted in immediate death why, then, didn't he die?

Quote:
M: Also, if being under the OC is negative, why, then, did Ellen speak of it in positive terms? "The covenant that God made with His people at Sinai is to be our refuge and defense. . . This covenant is of just as much force today as it was when the Lord made it with ancient Israel. . . 'All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient.' This is the pledge that God's people are to make in these last days."

R: The question is, Was there only one covenant at Sinai? Read Ex 19:3-8 and Ex 24:2-8.

Ellen applied the two passages you cited above to the OC. She wrote:

Quote:
God brought them to Sinai; He manifested His glory; He gave them His law, with the promise of great blessings on condition of obedience: "If ye will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then . . . ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation." Exodus 19:5, 6. The people did not realize the sinfulness of their own hearts, and that without Christ it was impossible for them to keep God's law; and they readily entered into covenant with God. Feeling that they were able to establish their own righteousness, they declared, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient." Exodus 24:7. They had witnessed the proclamation of the law in awful majesty, and had trembled with terror before the mount; and yet only a few weeks passed before they broke their covenant with God, and bowed down to worship a graven image. They could not hope for the favor of God through a covenant which they had broken; and now, seeing their sinfulness and their need of pardon, they were brought to feel their need of the Saviour revealed in the Abrahamic covenant and shadowed forth in the sacrificial offerings. Now by faith and love they were bound to God as their deliverer from the bondage of sin. Now they were prepared to appreciate the blessings of the new covenant. {PP 371.4}

Where in the Bible does God switch from the OC to the NC, that is, where does it say He entered into NC relations with post-exilic Israel?

Quote:
M: Was appreciating the "blessings of the new covenant" the same thing as switching from the OC to the NC? If so, why did Jeremiah speak of it happening in future?

R: Yes, it was the same as switching from the OC to the NC. The NC would be ratified in the future, by Christ's blood, but it existed since the fall (Gn 3:15), and it was renewed with Abraham (Gn 12:3). It is the Abrahamic covenant - the covenant of grace by faith. "And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Gl 3:29).

Why did Jeremiah speak of the NC happening in future?

Quote:
"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which My covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: but this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put My law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be My people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know Me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." Jeremiah 31:10-14, 23-25, 31-34.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/12/11 08:16 PM

I know that these are addressed to Rosangela, but I have time for a quickie. (Plus, we're usually on the same page anyway, especially on this topic, so I think it will be OK. smile )

If breaking the OC resulted in immediate death why, then, didn't he die?
Where in the Bible does God switch from the OC to the NC, that is, where does it say He entered into NC relations with post-exilic Israel?

If the OC were to be fully implemented, then Adam and Eve would have perished immediately. But in His mercy, God has given all of us another chance, even from the foundation of the world. See Revelation 13:8. Whether or not we know it, we have received at least some of the blessings of the NC. A substitute was found, giving us another probation.

But some sinners do not have a true concept of God's requirements, and their utter inability to fulfill them. So they still try to enter into the OC, thinking their good works will earn them something other than death. But God, like a good parent, often gives us what we need, not what we want.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/13/11 04:38 AM

Quote:
If he was never under the OC how, then, did he break it? ". . . only a few weeks passed before they broke their covenant with God, and bowed down to worship a graven image." If breaking the OC resulted in immediate death why, then, didn't he die?

The old covenant was made with the israelites - all of them. But it couldn't provide salvation - there was no Savior promised in it. When the OC led someone to realize that he had sinned and was under a curse, was lost, that person had to go back to the Savior promised in the abrahamic covenant. The two covenants ran side by side.

Quote:
Ellen applied the two passages you cited above to the OC.

No, I don't believe she did it. The Bible is clear that there were two covenants, and EGW is clear that one of them is still in force. Surely you don't believe that the OC is still in force, do you?

Quote:

?
The NC predates the OC. The NC has always been in force since the entrance of sin, and there is salvation only under the NC. Everybody who felt the need of a Savior and accepted Him by faith was under the NC.

Quote:
Why did Jeremiah speak of the NC happening in future?

Jeremiah is speaking about the days of the Messiah, when God's people would understand as never before the terms of the NC and would come under it.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/13/11 04:44 AM

Quote:
I know that these are addressed to Rosangela, but I have time for a quickie. (Plus, we're usually on the same page anyway, especially on this topic, so I think it will be OK. smile )

Of course it's OK! It just depends who finds time first to write a reply. It seems both of us are having time constrictions. smile

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/13/11 08:02 PM

M: If breaking the OC resulted in immediate death why, then, didn't he die? ... Where in the Bible does God switch from the OC to the NC, that is, where does it say He entered into NC relations with post-exilic Israel?

A: If the OC were to be fully implemented, then Adam and Eve would have perished immediately. But in His mercy, God has given all of us another chance, even from the foundation of the world. See Revelation 13:8. Whether or not we know it, we have received at least some of the blessings of the NC. A substitute was found, giving us another probation.

But some sinners do not have a true concept of God's requirements, and their utter inability to fulfill them. So they still try to enter into the OC, thinking their good works will earn them something other than death. But God, like a good parent, often gives us what we need, not what we want.

Are you suggesting A&E broke the OC when they ate the forbidden fruit?

Are you suggesting God still enters into OC terms and conditions with sinners nowadays?

When are born-again believers guilty of sinning under the OC and when are they guilty of sinning under the NC? Please provide examples and explain how they differ. Thank you.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/13/11 08:09 PM

Rosangela, are you suggesting God made two opposing, contradicting agreements with post-exilic Israel at Sinai?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/15/11 07:25 PM

Quote:
God's favor toward Israel had always been conditional on their obedience. At the foot of Sinai they had entered into covenant relationship with Him as His "peculiar treasure. . . above all people." Solemnly they had promised to follow in the path of obedience. "All that the Lord hath spoken we will do," they had said. Exodus 19:5, 8. And when, a few days afterward, God's law was spoken from Sinai, and additional instruction in the form of statutes and judgments was communicated through Moses, the Israelites with one voice had again promised, "All the words which the Lord hath said will we do." At the ratification of the covenant, the people had once more united in declaring, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient," Exodus 24:3, 7. God had chosen Israel as His people, and they had chosen Him as their King. Near the close of the wilderness wandering the conditions of the covenant had been repeated. {PK 293}

Rosangela, are you suggesting the covenant named four different times in the paragraph above refers to two different and opposing covenants?

Is it possible the OC was made with the nation of Israel corporately, whereas the NC is made with people personally? If so, it stands to reason both were in effect during the reign of Israel as God's chosen nation.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/16/11 12:49 AM

Mike, there is no two "opposing" covenants. The terms of God's covenants are always the same:
obey -> live
disobey -> die
IOW, eternal life is gained through perfect obedience.
These were the terms of God's covenant before sin.
The problem with this covenant is that for sinners it means death.
The difference between the covenant made before sin and the covenant made after sin is that the covenant made after sin provided a Savior - a Savior who both obeyed and earned eternal life (for us), and who died for (our) disobedience.
This covenant, the covenant of grace, has always been in force after sin. Listen to what the Bible says:

Galatians 3:17 And this I say, that the law (the OC), which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, that it should make the promise of no effect.

God made a covenant with the israelites, but He didn't include in it the promise of a Savior. Why? Because He wished them to feel the need of a Savior:

Galatians 3:24 Therefore the law (the OC) was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Anyone who felt his need of a Savior and accepted Him by faith was automatically under the NC.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/16/11 01:37 AM

Quote:
Rosangela, are you suggesting the covenant named four different times in the paragraph above refers to two different and opposing covenants?

No, I don't think Ex 19 refers to the NC and Ex 24 refers to the OC. I think in Ex 19 the people accepted the Lord as their Ruler and agreed to become His people. In Ex 24, after the covenant (OC) was presented, and they became aware of how much it involved, they agreed to enter into covenant with Him. So I see Ex 19 more as a pre-covenant agreement.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/16/11 01:39 AM

Quote:
Is it possible the OC was made with the nation of Israel corporately, whereas the NC is made with people personally?

Hasn't the NC always been made with people personally?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/16/11 07:47 PM

Rosangela, thank you. Did anyone die because they violated the terms and conditions of the OC? Or, was the OC annulled after the Jews worshiped the golden calf? And, was the OC a corporate contract (as opposed to a personal one)? Does the OC still exist today?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/17/11 02:35 AM

Difficult questions.

Quote:
Did anyone die because they violated the terms and conditions of the OC?

Those who violated the terms and conditions of the OC (which were none other than loving God supremely and loving one's neighbor as oneself) were condemned to death. But this does not mean they would die immediately. Eternal death will happen after the millennium.

Quote:
Or, was the OC annulled after the Jews worshiped the golden calf?

I don't think so. The fact that God rewrote the tables of stone implies that the covenant wasn't annulled.

Quote:
And, was the OC a corporate contract (as opposed to a personal one)?

Yes, Ex 24 implies that.

Quote:
Does the OC still exist today?

The OC - Sinaitic Covenant - was made with Israel, specifically to be a teaching tool to them, and ceased to exist when Christ died on the cross.

Hebrews 8:13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/17/11 02:41 AM

Quote:
Did anyone die because they violated the terms and conditions of the OC?

Those who violated the terms and conditions of the OC (which were none other than loving God supremely and loving one's neighbor as oneself) were condemned to death. But this does not mean they would die immediately. Eternal death will happen after the millennium.

How about this: All who will not receive eternal life will eternally die under the OC.

The NC is God writing His law in sinners, converting them into saints. The OC is disobey and die, which all who do not partake of the NC will experience.

WDYT?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/17/11 08:01 PM

M: Did anyone die because they violated the terms and conditions of the OC?

R: Those who violated the terms and conditions of the OC (which were none other than loving God supremely and loving one's neighbor as oneself) were condemned to death. But this does not mean they would die immediately. Eternal death will happen after the millennium.

Besides the ones Moses slew for worshiping the golden calf has anyone else died under the terms and conditions of the OC? For example, the men stoned to death for Sabbath-breaking and blasphemy, were they executed under the terms and conditions of the OC? And then, during final judgment, will they die eternally under the terms and conditions of the NC? Or, does the NC even have a death penalty?

Quote:
M: Or, was the OC annulled after the Jews worshiped the golden calf?

R: I don't think so. The fact that God rewrote the tables of stone implies that the covenant wasn't annulled.

M: And, was the OC a corporate contract (as opposed to a personal one)?

R: Yes, Ex 24 implies that.

M: Does the OC still exist today?

R: The OC - Sinaitic Covenant - was made with Israel, specifically to be a teaching tool to them, and ceased to exist when Christ died on the cross. Hebrews 8:13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

It seems reasonable to view the OC as an agreement between God and the Jews to serve as His chosen nation to proclaim the Gospel to the world. The OC, therefore, served as the basis of their corporate chosen nation status. The NC, however, applies to everyone everywhere and has always served as the basis of personal salvation since the Fall of A&E. Does the NC serve as the basis of the corporate chosen church status? Or, does a different covenant serve this purpose?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/17/11 08:07 PM

M: Did anyone die because they violated the terms and conditions of the OC?

R: Those who violated the terms and conditions of the OC (which were none other than loving God supremely and loving one's neighbor as oneself) were condemned to death. But this does not mean they would die immediately. Eternal death will happen after the millennium.

A: How about this: All who will not receive eternal life will eternally die under the OC. The NC is God writing His law in sinners, converting them into saints. The OC is disobey and die, which all who do not partake of the NC will experience. WDYT?

Wasn't the OC an agreement between God and the Jewish nation and ended when Jesus died on the cross?

Is it possible to sin and die eternally under the NC? What about all the people who sinned and died before God penned the OC and entered into OC relations with the Jews?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/19/11 03:36 AM

Wasn't the OC an agreement between God and the Jewish nation and ended when Jesus died on the cross?

No. I see the OC as the covenant God made with sinless Adam. Obey and live, disobey and die. There were only two options, and Adam chose the second.

The NC was made with Adam after he sinned, because he had no need of it until then. God gave them a glimpse of it by covering sinful man with the covering provided through the death of an animal.

Is it possible to sin and die eternally under the NC? What about all the people who sinned and died before God penned the OC and entered into OC relations with the Jews?

I don't believe that one can partake of the NC and die eternally. Here's why:
Quote:
Though this covenant was made with Adam and renewed to Abraham, it could not be ratified until the death of Christ. It had existed by the promise of God since the first intimation of redemption had been given; it had been accepted by faith; yet when ratified by Christ, it is called a new covenant. The law of God was the basis of this covenant, which was simply an arrangement for bringing men again into harmony with the divine will, placing them where they could obey God's law. {RH, October 17, 1907 par. 3}

One who is living by the NC is in harmony with the divine will. There is no condemnation for such.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/19/11 08:21 PM

Arnold, please quote from the Bible or the SOP where it says the OC existed in Eden. I agree with you that A&E possessed the ability within themselves to live in perfect harmony with the law of God and that they lost this ability when they sinned. I also happen to believe the one and only prohibition in Eden promised a sudden and immediate second death experience should they sin. It did not hold out hope. The plan of salvation was made known and available to them after they sinned. Of course, God knew about it beforehand.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/19/11 08:25 PM

PS - Arnold, do you think people are capable of sinning under the terms and conditions of the NC?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/20/11 01:15 AM

Arnold, please quote from the Bible or the SOP where it says the OC existed in Eden. I agree with you that A&E possessed the ability within themselves to live in perfect harmony with the law of God and that they lost this ability when they sinned. I also happen to believe the one and only prohibition in Eden promised a sudden and immediate second death experience should they sin. It did not hold out hope.

That's a pretty good description of the OC. Obey and live, disobey and die. It wasn't called the OC, but that's what they had in Eden.

But if you want some inspiration....

It was possible for Adam, before the fall, to form a righteous character by obedience to God's law. But he failed to do this, and because of his sin our natures are fallen and we cannot make ourselves righteous. {SC 62.2}

The penalty of transgression is always death. Christ averted the immediate execution of the death sentence by giving His life for man. {HP 153.3}

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/20/11 01:16 AM

PS - Arnold, do you think people are capable of sinning under the terms and conditions of the NC?

Not while partaking of the NC. The NC is to bring us back from sin, not allow us to continue in it.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/20/11 07:05 PM

Arnold, it has been interesting learning what you believe about the OC and NC. When Jesus writes the law in the hearts and minds of newborn believers they cease sinning and commence "perfecting holiness", namely, "righteousness and true holiness". See 2 Cor 7:1 and Ephesians 4:24. You describe the righteous and holy results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature under the terms and conditions of the NC as sinful and selfish. At what point do you believe Christians begin experiencing the NC promises in Jer 31 and Eze 36?

Quote:
Jeremiah

31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
31:33 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Ezekiel
36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

Hebrews
10:16 This [is] the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
10:18 Now where remission of these [is, there is] no more offering for sin.

Do you believe these passages promise selfish and sin-stained "righteousness and true holiness"? Or, do you think they promise sinless holiness and righteousness?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/21/11 02:01 PM

Quote:
No. I see the OC as the covenant God made with sinless Adam.

My view is slightly different. The pre-fall covenant is in force for all who do not adhere to the NC. The OC was made with the people of Israel as a teaching tool, but its terms were similar to those of the pre-fall covenant.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/21/11 02:13 PM

Quote:
Arnold, it has been interesting learning what you believe about the OC and NC. When Jesus writes the law in the hearts and minds of newborn believers they cease sinning and commence "perfecting holiness", namely, "righteousness and true holiness". See 2 Cor 7:1 and Ephesians 4:24. You describe the righteous and holy results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature under the terms and conditions of the NC as sinful and selfish. At what point do you believe Christians begin experiencing the NC promises in Jer 31 and Eze 36?

Arnold certainly will reply, but I would like to say that although at the new birth the law is written in our minds and hearts, it is also true that "in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells" (Rom. 7:18). As I said, if you fill with juice a bottle where some drops of poison had been put, can you separate the poison from the juice? Is some particle of the juice not contaminated with the poison? The juice was pure in its origin, but it's no longer pure after it has been put in the bottle.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/21/11 08:35 PM

M: Arnold, it has been interesting learning what you believe about the OC and NC. When Jesus writes the law in the hearts and minds of newborn believers they cease sinning and commence "perfecting holiness", namely, "righteousness and true holiness". See 2 Cor 7:1 and Ephesians 4:24. You describe the righteous and holy results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature under the terms and conditions of the NC as sinful and selfish. At what point do you believe Christians begin experiencing the NC promises in Jer 31 and Eze 36?

R: Arnold certainly will reply, but I would like to say that although at the new birth the law is written in our minds and hearts, it is also true that "in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells" (Rom. 7:18). As I said, if you fill with juice a bottle where some drops of poison had been put, can you separate the poison from the juice? Is some particle of the juice not contaminated with the poison? The juice was pure in its origin, but it's no longer pure after it has been put in the bottle.

When do you think the NC promise becomes a reality, that is, when will born-again believers cease sinning?

Also, are you saying the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are sinful and selfish?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/21/11 10:23 PM

On the first question, there, my answer would be: only the Father himself knows, but it is promised. The moment we are pardoned is the moment we are born again, though, experiencing peace with God in justification by faith: turning to sinning again is not abiding in Jesus by faith, so the righteous experience by faith is interrupted, but grace remains.

The sinful, selfish option is our carnal mind - used to sinning, and shows up again soon as we turn from Jesus' righteousness back to sinning. Sinful and righteous mindsets are available simultaneously, with faith being the method and experience of switching from sin to righteous minds & living.
Posted By: Bobryan

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/22/11 03:14 PM

The first covenant is found in Gen 2 - and is of the form "obey and live". And it worked for Adam and Eve as long as they chose to obey. All who are lost today - are still under that Old Covenant.

The New Covenant of the OT (Jer 31:31-33) begins to cover mankind in Genesis 3 and in 1Cor 10 Paul says that all saints in the OT were "baptized into Christ" and that the Rock of the OT "was Christ". All who were saved in the OT were under the New Covenant -- and this is what Paul calls in Gal 1:6-9 "The ONE Gospel" for all ages.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/23/11 07:59 AM

You describe the righteous and holy results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature under the terms and conditions of the NC as sinful and selfish.

No, abiding in Jesus gives us righteousness and holiness. However, our sinfulness and selfishness continue to be sinful and selfish.

At what point do you believe Christians begin experiencing the NC promises in Jer 31 and Eze 36?

When we receive them as a gift from Jesus. While we continue to view them as "trophies" to be earned by us copying Jesus, we will never experience them, no matter how "good" we might be.

Do you believe these passages promise selfish and sin-stained "righteousness and true holiness"? Or, do you think they promise sinless holiness and righteousness?

Yes, they promise holiness and righteousness. But these promises are fulfilled as we receive Christ's holiness and righteousness, NOT as we replicate them. Our best attempts to copy Christ fall short of God's standard until our selfishness is removed.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/23/11 08:40 PM

Arnold, do you believe the NC promises include born-again believers actually experiencing "righteousness and true holiness" without the stain of sin and selfishness? Or, does the NC promise only the imputed righteousness of Jesus?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/23/11 08:43 PM

Colin and Bob, thank you. What is your answer to the question posed above and below?

Quote:
Do you believe the NC promises include born-again believers actually experiencing "righteousness and true holiness" without the stain of sin and selfishness? Or, does the NC promise only the imputed righteousness of Jesus?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/24/11 06:10 PM

Arnold, do you believe the NC promises include born-again believers actually experiencing "righteousness and true holiness" without the stain of sin and selfishness? Or, does the NC promise only the imputed righteousness of Jesus?

The NC does not promise immediate removal of our selfishness. It promises perfection IN Jesus, not IDENTICAL to Jesus. Our righteousness is imputed, not emulated.

You believe that Jesus had selfishness. Do you believe that believers are less selfish than Jesus?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/24/11 07:24 PM

Yes, I believe Jesus' sinful flesh selfishly clamored for unholy expression, that is, it tempted Him from within to satisfy His innocent and legitimate needs in sinful, selfish ways. But, praise the Lord, Jesus never once indulged the ungodly desires of His sinful, selfish flesh. Born-again believers, who are abiding in Jesus, likewise rein in their sinful, selfish flesh so that they do not and cannot sin. In the place of sinning, they grow daily in grace and mature more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. They "advance from one stage of perfection to the next". If this isn't what the NC promises, what does it promise?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/24/11 11:42 PM

So, you're saying that by abiding in selfish Jesus, believers remain selfish. The difference is that they just become much better at gritting their teeth and preventing their bodies from fulfilling their evil, selfish desires. Is this what you had in mind when you describe the "holiness and righteousness" that believers experience? Is this holy and righteous? Is this how you expect us to fulfill "all that God has said"?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/25/11 06:59 AM

Oh, what's Jesus' and what's ours. grin

He makes us righteous with his own merits, renewing our hearts in the daily experience of justification by faith. He also imparts his character traits to us: they are his to give, and they become ours when we accept and use them by a living faith of obedience.

That JBF is renewal of our hearts is actually stated in this last week's lesson of this quarter, under the "new creation" of 2 Cor 5:17. That is the actual, genuine Adventist message of salvation from the Bible, though it is almost never uttered in print, let alone preached: there is an experiential element to justification, y'know.

As for selfishness and sinfulness, what do they matter, for Jesus or us, as and when we let God's Spirit in and follow Jesus as Jesus followed his Father. Gal 5:17 is very, very true, as we abide in Jesus. For other times, we have 1 Jn 1:9, should we respond to the Holy Spirit. The faith of Jesus is our motto.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/25/11 09:35 PM

M: Yes, I believe Jesus' sinful flesh selfishly clamored for unholy expression, that is, it tempted Him from within to satisfy His innocent and legitimate needs in sinful, selfish ways. But, praise the Lord, Jesus never once indulged the ungodly desires of His sinful, selfish flesh. Born-again believers, who are abiding in Jesus, likewise rein in their sinful, selfish flesh so that they do not and cannot sin. In the place of sinning, they grow daily in grace and mature more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. They "advance from one stage of perfection to the next". If this isn't what the NC promises, what does it promise?

A: So, you're saying that by abiding in selfish Jesus, believers remain selfish. The difference is that they just become much better at gritting their teeth and preventing their bodies from fulfilling their evil, selfish desires. Is this what you had in mind when you describe the "holiness and righteousness" that believers experience? Is this holy and righteous? Is this how you expect us to fulfill "all that God has said"?

A curious response. Didn't see that coming. Nevertheless, no, we do not abide in Jesus' sinful flesh. Instead, praise the Lord, we abide in Jesus and partake of His divine nature, which is what enables and empowers us to grow in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit. The results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature is "righteousness and true holiness" without the stain of sin or selfishness. Possessing sinful flesh does not, in and of itself, cause corruption or contamination. We must indulge its sinful desires to incur guilt and contamination. Remember, Jesus gives us a new nature when we undergo the miracle of rebirth, a nature even better than the one Adam and Eve forfeited in Eden. He also gave us new tastes, new motives, new tendencies, new desires with which we are able to cooperate with the agencies of heaven to reproduce the lovely character traits of Jesus.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/26/11 03:12 AM

Jesus didn't have "sinful flesh!" He was pure and holy from the moment of His birth. He never once sinned. Was His flesh degenerated from the original form that Adam and Eve had? Certainly. But it was still without sin. Did it perhaps cause Him some aches and pains such as we find normal in our existence? Yes. But this is not "sinful," rather "sin-caused." Had it been "sinful," we could not say He was perfect. His was the "perfect" sacrifice, that of the "spotless" and "unblemished" lamb.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/26/11 03:15 AM

Of course, Mike believes that blemished lambs were "evil" and "cursed," so if Mike truly believed that Jesus had any blemish or sinful flesh, Mike would also be tending toward the belief that Jesus was evil.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/26/11 11:31 PM

As for selfishness and sinfulness, what do they matter

It matters in that one who is selfish and sinful has no holiness and righteousness to impute to others.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/26/11 11:40 PM

A curious response. Didn't see that coming.

That's because you don't see the fundamental difference in our beliefs. Maybe we're getting closer to it now.

Nevertheless, no, we do not abide in Jesus' sinful flesh. ... The results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature is "righteousness and true holiness" without the stain of sin or selfishness.

You are saying that Jesus had selfish, sinful flesh, but He had no "stain of sin or selfishness." Hence, you believe that true converts can have selfishness and yet be holy and righteous.

I believe that selfishness, in any form, is unholy and unrighteous. That's our fundamental difference.

Possessing sinful flesh does not, in and of itself, cause corruption or contamination. We must indulge its sinful desires to incur guilt and contamination.

Here it is again. You believe that one can be selfish on the inside, but can be sinless as long as he can keep it from coming out.

I believe that selfishness, whether inside or outside, is sinful.

The difference between us is NOT whether or not the true convert chooses to commit acts of sin. We both agree that they do not, cannot do that.

Neither is the difference over the presence or lack of selfishness in the true believer. We both agree that true believers have inner selfishness.

The difference is that I believe that inner selfishness is sin that must be cleansed by Christ's blood. You believe that inner selfishness is acceptable to God.

Does that make things clearer?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/26/11 11:41 PM

Of course, Mike believes that blemished lambs were "evil" and "cursed," so if Mike truly believed that Jesus had any blemish or sinful flesh, Mike would also be tending toward the belief that Jesus was evil.

I agree with your logic, but I'll let MM confirm or deny what he believes.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/27/11 06:40 AM

While I'll certainly let Mike speak for himself, I concur in advance with his position
Quote:
Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same...(Heb 2:14)

"He...took" means he is the incarnate Son of God, taking as his own a nature that isn't naturally his: thus, he didn't "have" sinful flesh, but he took it to become a man. He took on to his divine nature our sinful nature. He submitted, also, to his Father's Spirit each day: having taken sinfulness he needed daily to turn to God from that sinfulness.

The difference means while he became just like us with sinfully immoral human flesh, he didn't also accept its sinfulness by sinning. This was, primarily, to qualify as Saviour of the world, the blameless Lamb of God; being our Example is relevant only after becoming our Saviour on the tree.

This view of Christ's humanity may be a minority view, today, in the Adventist church (see "Touched with Our Feelings" at your ABC), and in Christiandom - for some non-Adventist theologians do agree with this view, but before 1949 it was the view of our church altogether. That year was the first official publication we put out, Bible Readings for the Home Circle, rev., drawing back from this teaching.

No, Jesus did not accede to the sinfulness of the human flesh he had taken to become a man: that's what righteous by faith, the faith of Jesus, means in moral terms. smile

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/27/11 06:59 AM

I agree with your logic, but I'll let MM confirm or deny what he believes.

Here is what Mike said in another thread as we discussed the issue of the blemished lambs:

The blemished offering was, in context, evil and cursed. That's why offering it was a sin.

As he believes the lamb with a blemish was "evil," and this would have resulted in "sin" for it to be offered, it stands to reason that if Jesus were in any way blemished, that He would also be "evil" and it would have been sin for Him to be offered in sacrifice for us.

I'm curious how Mike will explain this apparent dichotomy.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/27/11 07:39 PM

The difference is that I believe that inner selfishness is sin that must be cleansed by Christ's blood. You believe that inner selfishness is acceptable to God. Does that make things clearer?

Thank you for clarifying your view. I actually caught on sometime last year. You and Rosangela seem to believe the same way. And it looks as though GC believes the same way, too.

I believe people incur guilt and condemnation when they sin, when they act out the unholy desires of their sinful flesh nature. God does not count them guilty and condemned if they do not act out the unholy desires of their sinful flesh nature.

I agree God views the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh nature as sinful. However, I disagree He counts people guilty of sinning because their sinful flesh nature tempts them to indulge its unholy desires. Being tempted by sinful flesh nature is no different than being tempted by evil angels so far as being tempted is concerned, that is, it is not a sin to be tempted. Nor does being tempted cause corruption or contamination.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/27/11 07:50 PM

M: The blemished offering was, in context, evil and cursed. That's why offering it was a sin.

GC: As he believes the lamb with a blemish was "evil," and this would have resulted in "sin" for it to be offered, it stands to reason that if Jesus were in any way blemished, that He would also be "evil" and it would have been sin for Him to be offered in sacrifice for us. I'm curious how Mike will explain this apparent dichotomy.

Blemished offerings were not inherently evil or cursed. But in the context of the temple services they were considered evil and cursed. Jesus did not incur evil and cursed status when He took upon Himself sinful flesh nature. Neither are born-again believers considered evil and cursed because they retain sinful flesh nature. It is not a sin to have sinful flesh nature. Yes, sinful flesh nature is sinful. In this context, however, sinful and sinning are two different realities. Sinful flesh nature cannot sin. It can only tempt us to sin. If we do not act out its unholy desires we do not incur guilt or condemnation.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/27/11 08:09 PM

M: The blemished offering was, in context, evil and cursed. That's why offering it was a sin.

GC: As he believes the lamb with a blemish was "evil," and this would have resulted in "sin" for it to be offered, it stands to reason that if Jesus were in any way blemished, that He would also be "evil" and it would have been sin for Him to be offered in sacrifice for us. I'm curious how Mike will explain this apparent dichotomy.

Blemished offerings were not inherently evil or cursed. But in the context of the temple services they were considered evil and cursed. Jesus did not incur evil and cursed status when He took upon Himself sinful flesh nature. Neither are born-again believers considered evil and cursed because they retain sinful flesh nature. It is not a sin to have sinful flesh nature. Yes, sinful flesh nature is sinful. In this context, however, sinful and sinning are two different realities. Sinful flesh nature cannot sin. It can only tempt us to sin. If we do not act out its unholy desires we do not incur guilt or condemnation.

Wow, your theology is sure different than I've ever heard. It sounds to me like you are saying that Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was evil and cursed because He was a blemished lamb, having sinful flesh. Is that what you are saying?

I always understood that Jesus became a curse for us because of the text in Deuteronomy which says:
Originally Posted By: The Bible
And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree: His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance. (Deuteronomy 21:22-23

I've also understood that Jesus became a curse for us becuase He took our sins upon Himself. Our blood was upon Him, just as the blood was placed upon the head of the lamb. The blood didn't make the lamb blemished, but I supposed it could have made the lamb cursed.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/27/11 11:28 PM

Careful, now: let's not get lost in the detail. smile

Jesus was made a curse for us, and not just because he was hanged on a tree: God the Father imputed that curse and imposed between them the barrier of divine wrath against sin. (Whether this separation of Father and Son in judgement of sin for us is possible under the trinity doctrine, that Jesus could die as man only but not as God, is being discussed on the trinity thread, now. wink )

Really, there are several layers of detail about righteousness and sin in the incarnation and substitution of Jesus for us.

Jesus taking our sinful nature doesn't make him corrupt, since "not for a moment did corruption rest on him". The rule is not: we sin because we're sinners; we're sinners because we sin. shocked

The rule is, correctly: we sin because we're sinful; we're sinners because we sin. grin Therefore, we have freedom of choice, by the grace and power of God, to choose righteousness at any and every moment, since we are by nature sinful and not sinners.

Jesus brought no personal condemnation on himself by his behaviour: sinful flesh is in itself condemned, but by itself, as MM says, it cannot condemn us - we do that all by ourselves. Thus, both we need a Saviour and Jesus qualified to be Saviour of the world by refusing the sinfulness of his adopted, sinful humanity, producing the character of the blameless Lamb of God. grin

Any clearer, now? smile

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/28/11 12:39 AM

M: Blemished offerings were not inherently evil or cursed. But in the context of the temple services they were considered evil and cursed. Jesus did not incur evil and cursed status when He took upon Himself sinful flesh nature. Neither are born-again believers considered evil and cursed because they retain sinful flesh nature. It is not a sin to have sinful flesh nature. Yes, sinful flesh nature is sinful. In this context, however, sinful and sinning are two different realities. Sinful flesh nature cannot sin. It can only tempt us to sin. If we do not act out its unholy desires we do not incur guilt or condemnation.

GC: Wow, your theology is sure different than I've ever heard. It sounds to me like you are saying that Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was evil and cursed because He was a blemished lamb, having sinful flesh. Is that what you are saying?

Jesus was not blemished. Taking sinful flesh nature upon His divine nature did not cause corruption or contamination. He bore the sins of the world in His sinful flesh nature. He did not bare it in His divine nature.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/28/11 01:48 AM

Jesus was not blemished. Taking sinful flesh nature upon His divine nature did not cause corruption or contamination. He bore the sins of the world in His sinful flesh nature. He did not bare it in His divine nature.

This is where we may divide.

Jesus had sin-degenerated flesh. Jesus had flesh. He took upon himself our flesh, including its aches, pains and weaknesses. However, he had not one single propensity toward sin. The word "propensity" is synonymous with "inclination."

What does the pen of inspiration tell us?
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
(Ch. 14:30; Luke 1:31-35; 1 Corinthians 15:22, 45; Hebrews 4:15.) Be careful, exceedingly careful as to how you dwell upon the human nature of Christ. Do not set Him before the people as a man with the propensities of sin. He is the second Adam. The first Adam was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him; he was in the image of God. He could fall, and he did fall through transgressing. Because of sin his posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God. He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden. {5BC 1128.4}

Notice that Mrs. White says "human nature" but does not here say "sinful nature." And here's an interesting statement that implies with a sinful nature, perfection would be impossible:
After the fall, it had been impossible for man with his sinful nature to render obedience to the law of God, had not Christ, by the offer of his own life, purchased the right to lift up the race where they could once more work in harmony with its requirements. {RH, September 27, 1881 par. 11}

In light of the above statements, the "knife edge" of the paradox seems to be included in the following:

Clad in the vestments of humanity, the Son of God came down to the level of those he wished to save. In him was no guile or sinfulness; he was ever pure and undefiled; yet he took upon him our sinful nature. Clothing his divinity with humanity, that he might associate with fallen humanity, he sought to redeem for man that which by disobedience Adam had lost, for himself and for the world. In his own character Jesus manifested to the world the character of God; he pleased not himself, but went about doing good. His whole history, for more than thirty years, was of pure, disinterested benevolence. {RH, August 22, 1907 par. 1}

To me, that implies that having a "sinful nature" must be separate from the concepts of being a "sinner" or even of having "propensities" to sin. It appears that "sinful nature" means something different than we have traditionally thought.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/28/11 08:43 PM

Like newborn believers, Jesus also partook of "the divine nature" and "escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust . . . the sin that dwelleth in me . . . that is, in my flesh". "It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ's nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression." {UL 18.3} Newborn believers are recreated with a new and superior nature and they are, consequently, enabled and empowered to experience "righteousness and true holiness" like Jesus did. Possessing sinful flesh nature, therefore, in no way hinders or prevents growth in grace, nor does it stop believers from "perfecting holiness" "more and more unto the perfect day".

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/29/11 06:57 PM

Amen to that. grin
Like newborn believers, Jesus also partook of "the divine nature" and "escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust . . . the sin that dwelleth in me . . . that is, in my flesh". "It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ's nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression." {UL 18.3} Newborn believers are recreated with a new and superior nature and they are, consequently, enabled and empowered to experience "righteousness and true holiness" like Jesus did. Possessing sinful flesh nature, therefore, in no way hinders or prevents growth in grace, nor does it stop believers from "perfecting holiness" "more and more unto the perfect day".

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/29/11 07:27 PM

I really hope this thread doesn't stretch to 100 pages as it has in the past, among others here. grin

This is where we may divide.

Jesus had sin-degenerated flesh. Jesus had flesh. He took upon himself our flesh, including its aches, pains and weaknesses. However, he had not one single propensity toward sin. The word "propensity" is synonymous with "inclination."

Synonymous???! cool Nope: propensity means habits built up from practice; inclination means basic sinfulness. Hereditary propensity (below) means the habits of one's ancesters. "In him...was not for one moment...an evil propensity": that means he never practised the sin burdening his adopted, sinful human nature.

We know this from what else she wrote, and the Bible in totality teaches.
Quote:
What does the pen of inspiration tell us?
(Ch. 14:30; Luke 1:31-35; 1 Corinthians 15:22, 45; Hebrews 4:15.) Be careful, exceedingly careful as to how you dwell upon the human nature of Christ. Do not set Him before the people as a man with the propensities of sin. He is the second Adam. The first Adam was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him; he was in the image of God. He could fall, and he did fall through transgressing. Because of sin his posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God. He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden. {5BC 1128.4}

That human nature is degenerate means it is morally weak and unable with God's intervening help at our request to break away from sin and do God's will righteously by faith.

[quote]In light of the above statements, the "knife edge" of the paradox seems to be included in the following:

Clad in the vestments of humanity, the Son of God came down to the level of those he wished to save. In him was no guile or sinfulness; he was ever pure and undefiled; yet he took upon him our sinful nature. Clothing his divinity with humanity, that he might associate with fallen humanity, he sought to redeem for man that which by disobedience Adam had lost, for himself and for the world. In his own character Jesus manifested to the world the character of God; he pleased not himself, but went about doing good. His whole history, for more than thirty years, was of pure, disinterested benevolence. {RH, August 22, 1907 par. 1}

To me, that implies that having a "sinful nature" must be separate from the concepts of being a "sinner" or even of having "propensities" to sin. It appears that "sinful nature" means something different than we have traditionally thought.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Indeed, since we sin because we're sinful - not, 'we sin because we're sinners'! - the difference between being sinful and sinning, for us, is personal choice, not semantics. smile

Propensities result from inclinations that are acted upon rather than rejected. Therefore, righteousness by faith is truly pragmatic: shall we choose to be like Jesus in our thoughts and deeds, or shall we struggle by ourselves - and fail to be good all by ourselves, or think we cannot mirror/reflect Jesus perfectly, day by day in more and more ways, in this life as grace cannot enable that in us even though we believe? "The faith of Jesus" is a correct translation for Gal 2:20 and Rev 14:12, since that is the very spiritual tool by which we can follow Jesus to the uttermost, whithersoever he leads us.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/29/11 08:00 PM

Therefore, righteousness by faith is truly pragmatic: shall we choose to be like Jesus in our thoughts and deeds, or shall we struggle by ourselves - and fail to be good all by ourselves, or think we cannot mirror/reflect Jesus perfectly, day by day in more and more ways, in this life as grace cannot enable that in us even though we believe?

"Shall we choose to be like Jesus in our thoughts and deeds"? Yes!

"Shall we struggle by ourselves - and fail to be good all by ourselves"? God forbid!

"Shall think we cannot mirror/reflect Jesus perfectly, day by day in more and more ways, in this life?" Certainly not!

"Shall we think grace cannot enable that in us even though we believe?" No way!

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/29/11 08:26 PM

This thread is moving faster than I can keep up with. But I'll try to catch up.

The word "propensity" is synonymous with "inclination."

Synonymous???! cool Nope: propensity means habits built up from practice; inclination means basic sinfulness. Hereditary propensity (below) means the habits of one's ancesters.

Propensity does not mean habits. Even in your own explanation, that wouldn't make sense. It is possible for one to gain inclinations from the habits of his ancestors. But how can he gain his ancestor's habits through heredity? Habits, by definition, are actions, and therefore cannot be passed on.

But don't take my word for it. Here's a quote from the 1828 Webster's dictionary, just a few years before EGW's ministry:
Quote:
PROPENSE, a. propens'. [L. propensus.] Leaning towards, in a moral sense; inclined; disposed, either to good or evil; as women propense to holiness.

PROPENSION, PROPENSITY, n. [L. propensio.]
1. Bent of mind, natural or acquired; inclination; in a moral sense; disposition to any thing good or evil, particularly to evil; as a propensity to sin; the corrupt propensity of the will.
2. Natural tendency; as the propension of bodies to a particular place.

Notice that there is no mention of habits, or even actions. The meaning of propensity is inclination or tendency.

The impetus to change the meaning of propensity is seen below.

"In him...was not for one moment...an evil propensity": that means he never practised the sin burdening his adopted, sinful human nature.

Now that we know what propensity means, and more importantly, what it meant in EGW's time, we can understand this better.

True, Jesus never practiced sin. But His holiness runs much deeper than many people think. More than refraining from acts of sin, Jesus did not have the propensity, or inclination, to sin. IOW, not only did He abstain from sin in His thoughts, words, and actions, He did not have even the stain of sin in his passions and desires.

Why are so many people so adamant that Jesus was selfish inwardly? One reason is that they want to excuse their own inward selfishness. They might be able to keep their bodies from sinning, but they know that their thoughts and feelings are undeniably selfish. And since their assurance of salvation is grounded in replicating Christ's experience, they must bring Him down to their level of stunted holiness so that they can say, "Jesus was like us, so we must be OK."

But the fact is that Jesus was more holy than us. We who are selfish can only copy the Pattern, but we will never equal it. Our assurance is not in replicating His righteousness, but in accepting it as a gift. We cannot offer to God the filthy rags of our sinful humanity, so we must rely on Christ's sinlessness.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/29/11 08:32 PM

Quote:
GC: The word "propensity" is synonymous with "inclination."
Colin: Synonymous???! Nope: propensity means habits built up from practice; inclination means basic sinfulness. Hereditary propensity (below) means the habits of one's ancesters. "In him...was not for one moment...an evil propensity": that means he never practised the sin burdening his adopted, sinful human nature.

Hereditary propensity means the habits of one's ancestors?
And how is one born with that?
Anyway, Ellen White is clear that Jesus was not born with inherent propensities of disobedience, like Adam's posterity:

"Because of sin his [Adam's] posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God. ... not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity." {5BC 1128.4}

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/29/11 11:33 PM

This thread is moving faster than I can keep up with. But I'll try to catch up.

Thanks for taking the time - it can be a tad time consuming. grin

Quote:

Synonymous???! cool Nope: propensity means habits built up from practice; inclination means basic sinfulness. Hereditary propensity (below) means the habits of one's ancesters.

Propensity does not mean habits. Even in your own explanation, that wouldn't make sense. It is possible for one to gain inclinations from the habits of his ancestors. But how can he gain his ancestor's habits through heredity? Habits, by definition, are actions, and therefore cannot be passed on.

Now, let not the words of Scripture or of SOP be defined by a dictionary, but by the Word of God.

Remember this?
Originally Posted By: EGW
We need not retain one sinful propensity. (R&H Apr 24, 1900, par.6)

Not retain something that's an intrisic part of our sinful flesh? - but, we lose such parts of us only when Jesus returns, i.e. when translated/resurrected to glorified humanity. Therefore, since this statement is about character cleansing (see original!), sinful propensities are things we add to our character - so may choose to let go, not things we find in our sinful flesh.

I feel sorry for anyone thinking according to what you have heard and written about, below! shocked

Assurance in Jesus is indeed about who and what he is for us! grin That assurance is valuable only as we seek to do God's will: as we give more of our sinful traits to Jesus in exchange for his righteous traits of character, our assurance that he is keeps us cheerful, all the way.

No, no, no: Jesus did not "have" sinful flesh!!! cool Jesus "took" (Heb 2:14) sinful flesh: the difference is he didn't accept what we are born with when he took it as his own and was born with it. Burdened with selfishness in his adopted humanity, he leaned on his Father to choose God's will. Thus, he was not stained in his character by sin, nor did the corruption of a carnal mind and guilt rest on him for a moment: the mind of Christ is the Holy Spirit ruling the thoughts and motives, etc.

Sorting out the humanity of Christ our Saviour is quite crucial, so we can know just what exactly he saved us from and what it is we can get rid of with him in our lives. smile
Originally Posted By: Eph 4:8c, 13
He...gave gifts unto men..., until we all come, in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect (i.e. mature) man, unto the measure of hte stature of the fulness of Christ.

Quote:
True, Jesus never practiced sin. But His holiness runs much deeper than many people think. More than refraining from acts of sin, Jesus did not have the propensity, or inclination, to sin. IOW, not only did He abstain from sin in His thoughts, words, and actions, He did not have even the stain of sin in his passions and desires.

Why are so many people so adamant that Jesus was selfish inwardly? One reason is that they want to excuse their own inward selfishness. They might be able to keep their bodies from sinning, but they know that their thoughts and feelings are undeniably selfish. And since their assurance of salvation is grounded in replicating Christ's experience, they must bring Him down to their level of stunted holiness so that they can say, "Jesus was like us, so we must be OK."

But the fact is that Jesus was more holy than us. We who are selfish can only copy the Pattern, but we will never equal it. Our assurance is not in replicating His righteousness, but in accepting it as a gift. We cannot offer to God the filthy rags of our sinful humanity, so we must rely on Christ's sinlessness.

One last thought: Sister White does say that we cannot copy the pattern..., but she wasn't refering to Christ's human character of righteousness. smile She was refering to his humiliation of giving up his throne of glory in heaven to come down to our level of sinfulness as a creature on this planet. Definitely not that we can't mirror his example, for Jesus by grace and his own deeds has opened the way for us to do just that. Thus A T Jones' commentary on the book of Hebrews is entitled "The Consecrated Way to Christian Perfection".

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/30/11 12:39 AM

Only have time for a quickie...

Now, let not the words of Scripture or of SOP be defined by a dictionary, but by the Word of God.

Where in inspiration can we find that we can be born with our ancestors' bad habits as part of our heredity?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/30/11 12:43 AM

Synonymous???! cool Nope: propensity means habits built up from practice; inclination means basic sinfulness. Hereditary propensity (below) means the habits of one's ancesters. "In him...was not for one moment...an evil propensity": that means he never practised the sin burdening his adopted, sinful human nature.

We know this from what else she wrote, and the Bible in totality teaches.

Propensities result from inclinations that are acted upon rather than rejected. Therefore, righteousness by faith is truly pragmatic: shall we choose to be like Jesus in our thoughts and deeds, or shall we struggle by ourselves - and fail to be good all by ourselves, or think we cannot mirror/reflect Jesus perfectly, day by day in more and more ways, in this life as grace cannot enable that in us even though we believe? "The faith of Jesus" is a correct translation for Gal 2:20 and Rev 14:12, since that is the very spiritual tool by which we can follow Jesus to the uttermost, whithersoever he leads us.

It is crucial that a proper understanding of the words be reached before developing one's theology upon them!

pro·pen·si·ty
n. pl. pro·pen·si·ties
An innate inclination; a tendency. See Synonyms at predilection.

[From propense, inclined, from Latin prpnsus, past participle of prpendre, to be inclined; see propend.]

We are often born with the inclinations of our ancestors. For example, alcoholism tends to run in families. No, the baby is not an alcoholic, but he or she is frequently born with the inclination toward alcoholism, and one drink may be all that is necessary to catapult the individual into the habit, from which it is very difficult to escape owing to the hereditary weakness.

That is an example of an "inherited" sort of weakness. But there are also "cultivated" ones which are more ambiguously "inherited." For example, if parents are very prideful, it is common to see the children inherit the same tendency--but this may be on account of its having been modeled for them.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/31/11 05:58 AM

True, Jesus never practiced sin. But His holiness runs much deeper than many people think. More than refraining from acts of sin, Jesus did not have the propensity, or inclination, to sin. IOW, not only did He abstain from sin in His thoughts, words, and actions, He did not have even the stain of sin in his passions and desires. Why are so many people so adamant that Jesus was selfish inwardly? One reason is that they want to excuse their own inward selfishness. They might be able to keep their bodies from sinning, but they know that their thoughts and feelings are undeniably selfish. And since their assurance of salvation is grounded in replicating Christ's experience, they must bring Him down to their level of stunted holiness so that they can say, "Jesus was like us, so we must be OK."

Does it say anywhere that the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh cause corruption? Do we incur guilt and condemnation because the desires of our flesh are unholy?

What do you mean by "keep their bodies from sinning"? Is it possible to indulge the desires of the flesh without the "thoughts and feelings [being sinful and] undeniably selfish"?

What do you mean by "He did not have even the stain of sin in his passions and desires"? Is it possible to be tempted in every way newborn believers are if the flesh is pure and sinless, if its desires are wholly in harmony with the will of God?

What do you mean by "inward selfishness"? Ellen wrote, "The peace which passeth knowledge will cost us battles with the powers of darkness, struggles severe against selfishness and inward sins." {RH, August 2, 1881 par. 8} At what point in the Christian walk does Jesus set believers free from the burden of "selfishness and inward sins"?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 12/31/11 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: EGW
We need not retain one sinful propensity. (R&H Apr 24, 1900, par.6)

Not retain something that's an intrisic part of our sinful flesh? - but, we lose such parts of us only when Jesus returns, i.e. when translated/resurrected to glorified humanity. Therefore, since this statement is about character cleansing (see original!), sinful propensities are things we add to our character - so may choose to let go, not things we find in our sinful flesh.

This is the logic you are using:
Jesus cannot heal birth defects.
Jesus can heal sinful propensities.
Therefore, sinful propensities are not birth defects.

This is where you fail to see God's power. Is He able to fix something that is broken at birth? Has God shown the ability to heal birth defects? Yes, He has. Just because you are born with a problem does not mean He cannot solve it.

So, if we acknowledge that Jesus can heal all defects, including hereditary ones, then there is no need to violate the English language and stipulate that propensities are habits rather than tendencies.

No, no, no: Jesus did not "have" sinful flesh!!! cool Jesus "took" (Heb 2:14) sinful flesh: the difference is he didn't accept what we are born with when he took it as his own and was born with it.

Here's what I get from that: Jesus took our sinful flesh, but He didn't have it, nor did He accept it, though He was born with it. This is a meaning of "took" with which I am unfamiliar.

Now, if we are talking about Jesus "taking upon Himself" something, then that makes more sense. Something like He took upon Himself our sin, but He didn't have sin.

Burdened with selfishness in his adopted humanity, he leaned on his Father to choose God's will.

So, did Jesus have selfishness?

Sorting out the humanity of Christ our Saviour is quite crucial, so we can know just what exactly he saved us from and what it is we can get rid of with him in our lives. smile

Exactly. If you believe that Jesus had the same sinful propensities that sinners do, then you have no hope of ever eliminating them. But if you believe that Jesus did not have sinful propensities, then there is hope that you can crucify your sinful passions and desires.

Sister White does say that we cannot copy the pattern..., but she wasn't refering to Christ's human character of righteousness. smile She was refering to his humiliation of giving up his throne of glory in heaven to come down to our level of sinfulness as a creature on this planet.

Do you believe that sinners can equal Christ's character?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/03/12 08:27 PM

True, Jesus never practiced sin. But His holiness runs much deeper than many people think. More than refraining from acts of sin, Jesus did not have the propensity, or inclination, to sin. IOW, not only did He abstain from sin in His thoughts, words, and actions, He did not have even the stain of sin in his passions and desires. Why are so many people so adamant that Jesus was selfish inwardly? One reason is that they want to excuse their own inward selfishness. They might be able to keep their bodies from sinning, but they know that their thoughts and feelings are undeniably selfish. And since their assurance of salvation is grounded in replicating Christ's experience, they must bring Him down to their level of stunted holiness so that they can say, "Jesus was like us, so we must be OK."

Does it say anywhere that the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh cause corruption? Do we incur guilt and condemnation because the desires of our flesh are unholy?

What do you mean by "keep their bodies from sinning"? Is it possible to indulge the desires of the flesh without the "thoughts and feelings [being sinful and] undeniably selfish"?

What do you mean by "He did not have even the stain of sin in his passions and desires"? Is it possible to be tempted in every way newborn believers are if the flesh is pure and sinless, if its desires are wholly in harmony with the will of God?

What do you mean by "inward selfishness"? Ellen wrote, "The peace which passeth knowledge will cost us battles with the powers of darkness, struggles severe against selfishness and inward sins." {RH, August 2, 1881 par. 8} At what point in the Christian walk does Jesus set believers free from the burden of "selfishness and inward sins"?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/05/12 09:24 PM

I'll have to do this a little at a time.

Does it say anywhere that the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh cause corruption?

Not exactly. It would seem obvious that unholy = corrupt.

However, there is a text that says our righteousnesses are filthy. So, if even our righteousnesses are filthy, certainly our unholiness would also be filthy.

Do we incur guilt and condemnation because the desires of our flesh are unholy?

The carnal mind is enmity to God. Do guilt and condemnation come with enmity to God? If so, then yes, unholiness brings guilt and condemnation.

I'm finding this part of the discussion counter-intuitive. Are we really discussing whether or not unholiness is a bad thing? I would think that to be obvious. But if we lose sight of how holy God is, then we start to think unholiness isn't so bad after all.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/06/12 07:59 PM

Satan is unholy. He tempts us to sin. Do either cause guilt or condemnation? No, of course not. So, why do you think the fact our sinful flesh nature tempts us to sin causes guilt and condemnation? As you know, sinful flesh nature cannot sin, it can only tempt us to sin. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
The lower passions have their seat in the body and work through it. The words "flesh" or "fleshly" or "carnal lusts" embrace the lower, corrupt nature; the flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God. We are commanded to crucify the flesh, with the affections and lusts. How shall we do it? Shall we inflict pain on the body? No; but put to death the temptation to sin. The corrupt thought is to be expelled. Every thought is to be brought into captivity to Jesus Christ. All animal propensities are to be subjected to the higher powers of the soul. The love of God must reign supreme; Christ must occupy an undivided throne. Our bodies are to be regarded as His purchased possession. The members of the body are to become the instruments of righteousness. {AH 127.2}

Our sinful flesh tempts us with corrupt thoughts and affections. So long as we put these temptations to death we do not incur guilt or condemnation. All temptations begin as unholy thoughts and feelings. It is not a sin to be tempted. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
There are thoughts and feelings suggested and aroused by Satan that annoy even the best of men; but if they are not cherished, if they are repulsed as hateful, the soul is not contaminated with guilt, and no other is defiled by their influence. (RH 3-27-1888)

An impure thought tolerated, an unholy desire cherished, and the soul is contaminated, its integrity compromised. . . If we would not commit sin, we must shun its very beginnings. Every emotion and desire must be held in subjection to reason and conscience. Every unholy thought must be instantly repelled. {5T 177.1}

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/06/12 08:46 PM

Satan is unholy. He tempts us to sin. Do either cause guilt or condemnation? No, of course not.

Don't you think that Satan is guilty and condemned for being an unholy tempter, whether or not you fall for his tricks?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/07/12 09:31 AM

No, it is not possible to indulge the desires of the flesh without the thoughts and feelings being selfish. The error against which I most vehemently disagree is the idea that a man can remain pure while his thoughts and feelings are sinful and selfish, so long as he can keep his body from fulfilling the wicked desires of his corrupt heart. The corrupt heart is corrupt in itself, regardless of the motions of the body.

No, one cannot be tempted in every WAY newborn believers are unless he also battle the powers and passions of unregenerate nature. The SOP tells us this: He who has determined to enter the spiritual kingdom will find that all the powers and passions of unregenerate nature, backed by the forces of the kingdom of darkness, are arrayed against him. {AA 476.3} That is what newborn believers must face.

However, we are not told that Jesus was tempted in this WAY. He was tempted in all POINTS as we are, but not in all WAYS. I can almost guarantee that He was never tempted to go to the prom on a Friday night, like I was. More importantly, I am sure that His nature would have recoiled at the thought of such evil, while my nature was enamored.

Would you have us believe that Jesus was not pure and sinless, or that He had an unregenerate nature at some point?

What do you mean by "inward selfishness"? Ellen wrote, "The peace which passeth knowledge will cost us battles with the powers of darkness, struggles severe against selfishness and inward sins." {RH, August 2, 1881 par. 8}

That quote is a pretty good explanation of what I mean. Inward selfishness is selfishness that is not on the outside. It is inward sin.

At what point in the Christian walk does Jesus set believers free from the burden of "selfishness and inward sins"?

At the crown. But from the cross to the crown, there is wrestling against outward wrong and inbred sin.

At what point in Christ's walk did He have "selfishness and inward sins"? And at what point was He set free from these?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/07/12 10:17 PM

M: Satan is unholy. He tempts us to sin. Do either cause guilt or condemnation? No, of course not.

A: Don't you think that Satan is guilty and condemned for being an unholy tempter, whether or not you fall for his tricks?

Yes. But sinful flesh nature isn't a sentient being. It can tempt us to sin, but it cannot sin itself. Thus, even though it is condemned, it cannot incur guilt. Guilt is the fruit of sinning.

By the way, do you agree with the rest of the post? Namely, do you agree sinful flesh tempts us with unholy thoughts and feelings and that we do not incur guilt or condemnation so long as we refuse to indulge its sinful desires?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/07/12 11:11 PM

M: What do you mean by "keep their bodies from sinning"? Is it possible to indulge the desires of the flesh without the "thoughts and feelings [being sinful and] undeniably selfish"?

A: No, it is not possible to indulge the desires of the flesh without the thoughts and feelings being selfish. The error against which I most vehemently disagree is the idea that a man can remain pure while his thoughts and feelings are sinful and selfish, so long as he can keep his body from fulfilling the wicked desires of his corrupt heart. The corrupt heart is corrupt in itself, regardless of the motions of the body.

What do you mean by "corrupt heart" and "motions of the body". Newborn believers are born again with a new heart, mind, and nature complete with new tastes, motives, desires, and tendencies. The unholy thoughts and feelings that come to mind are temptations, and like any other temptation they must be resisted. If resisted unto the honor and glory of God, no guilt or contamination is incurred. The origin of such unholy thoughts and feelings is sinful flesh nature - not the mind and heart of the newborn believer.

Quote:
M: What do you mean by "He did not have even the stain of sin in his passions and desires"? Is it possible to be tempted in every way newborn believers are if the flesh is pure and sinless, if its desires are wholly in harmony with the will of God?

A: No, one cannot be tempted in every WAY newborn believers are unless he also battle the powers and passions of unregenerate nature. The SOP tells us this: He who has determined to enter the spiritual kingdom will find that all the powers and passions of unregenerate nature, backed by the forces of the kingdom of darkness, are arrayed against him. {AA 476.3} That is what newborn believers must face. However, we are not told that Jesus was tempted in this WAY. He was tempted in all POINTS as we are, but not in all WAYS. I can almost guarantee that He was never tempted to go to the prom on a Friday night, like I was. More importantly, I am sure that His nature would have recoiled at the thought of such evil, while my nature was enamored. Would you have us believe that Jesus was not pure and sinless, or that He had an unregenerate nature at some point?

But you were born again with a "new nature", a "nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression." You are also a "partaker of the divine nature." What practical difference does it make if the temptation to attend prom on Friday night originates with sinful flesh nature or evil angels?

Yes, I believe Jesus' human nature was burdened with "sinful flesh" the same as you and me. It warred against Him in the same way it wars against us. Do you think Jesus was ever tempted to do something evil? Or, do you think He was only tempted to do something good at the wrong time?

Quote:
M: What do you mean by "inward selfishness"? Ellen wrote, "The peace which passeth knowledge will cost us battles with the powers of darkness, struggles severe against selfishness and inward sins." {RH, August 2, 1881 par. 8}

A: That quote is a pretty good explanation of what I mean. Inward selfishness is selfishness that is not on the outside. It is inward sin.

What is the origin of such selfishness? Does it originate with the new nature, mind, and heart Jesus implants within newborn believers? Or, does it originate with sinful flesh nature?

Quote:
M: At what point in the Christian walk does Jesus set believers free from the burden of "selfishness and inward sins"?

A: At the crown. But from the cross to the crown, there is wrestling against outward wrong and inbred sin.

By "at the crown" do you mean when Jesus returns and rewards us with a sinless nature and body? If so, do you envision believers experiencing selfish and sin-stained fruits of the Spirit until the day Jesus arrives? Do you believe "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags" describes "the fruit of the Spirit"? Ellen wrote:

Quote:
"All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags." Isaiah 64:6. Everything that we of ourselves can do is defiled by sin. {FLB 113.3}

The works of the selfish heart are "as an unclean thing;" and "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags." Isaiah 64:6. {MB 54.1}

A broken and contrite heart he will not despise; but our self-righteousness is in his sight as filthy rags. {GW92 440.1}

Human righteousness is as "filthy rags." But with God all things are possible. {1SM 310.2}

Then we shall know that our own righteousness is indeed as filthy rags, and that the blood of Christ alone can cleanse us from the defilement of sin, and renew our hearts in His own likeness. {SC 28.3}

So many have this self satisfied feeling, and manifest this inclination to uplift self unto vanity, thus giving evidence that they are clothed with the filthy rags of their own self righteousness. {RH, February 18, 1896 par. 4}

Our good works cannot save us, for they are as filthy rags without Christ. Self-righteousness is as the offering of Cain. {ST, June 1, 1891 par. 7}

They robe themselves in the garments of their own righteousness, which God has declared are "as filthy rags." They think that they are rich and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and know not that they are wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked. {YI, June 10, 1897 par. 4}

Do you think the passages above describe "the fruit of the Spirit"?

Quote:
A: At what point in Christ's walk did He have "selfishness and inward sins"? And at what point was He set free from these?

Jesus took upon Him sinful flesh nature at His incarnation with all its evil, unholy desires. His fallen human nature tempted Him from within to indulge His innocent and legitimate needs in sinful ways. He resisted them from the moment of consciousness to the day He died. He was free of it in the sense He never acted out its unholy desires. But in another sense He was free of it the day He was resurrected without it.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/08/12 08:46 PM

M: Satan is unholy. He tempts us to sin. Do either cause guilt or condemnation? No, of course not.

A: Don't you think that Satan is guilty and condemned for being an unholy tempter, whether or not you fall for his tricks?

Yes. But sinful flesh nature isn't a sentient being. It can tempt us to sin, but it cannot sin itself. Thus, even though it is condemned, it cannot incur guilt. Guilt is the fruit of sinning.

So, you're saying that it is condemned, though it is guiltless. Does God condemn the guiltless? I don't think so.

If guilt is only the fruit of sinning, then how is it that Adam can give us guilt as an inheritance? Do we also inherit "sinning"?

By the way, do you agree with the rest of the post? Namely, do you agree sinful flesh tempts us with unholy thoughts and feelings and that we do not incur guilt or condemnation so long as we refuse to indulge its sinful desires?

I agree that if we are tempted by the lusts of our own sinful natures and we shun it immediately, we do not incur guilt in the sense that such lusts are unavoidable deficiencies that Jesus covers. I do not believe that such fleshly lusts are holy and righteous fruits of the Spirit. They are sinful and need atonement by Christ's blood.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/08/12 08:55 PM

Yes. But sinful flesh nature isn't a sentient being.

And neither is the flesh a sentient being. So, if the non-sentient sinful flesh nature tempts the non-sentient flesh to commit some evil act, is there no guilt incurred, since none of the parties involved are sentient?

My father says this happens to him all the time. His sinful nature gets his body to do some rather nasty things, while his new, spiritual nature objects and wants to be holy the whole time. And afterwards, his new, spiritual nature is always very sad about the incident, and therefore remains perfectly acceptable to God. Do you buy his story?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/09/12 09:33 PM

M: Yes. But sinful flesh nature isn't a sentient being. It can tempt us to sin, but it cannot sin itself. Thus, even though it is condemned, it cannot incur guilt. Guilt is the fruit of sinning.

A: So, you're saying that it is condemned, though it is guiltless. Does God condemn the guiltless? I don't think so. If guilt is only the fruit of sinning, then how is it that Adam can give us guilt as an inheritance? Do we also inherit "sinning"?

We are not guilty of sinning in Eden. We need not repent of Adam's sin. "The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him." (Eze 18:20)

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad." (2 Cor 5:10) "So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God." (Rom 14:12) Do you think "sinful flesh" will "appear before the judgment seat of Christ" to "give account of himself to God"? If not, why not?

All have sinned in Adam and all have been forgiven in Jesus. Therefore, all begin, as it were, with a blank slate. Thus, all will be judged according to their own words and works - not according to Adam's sin or the sins of anyone else. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
As related to the first Adam, men receive from him nothing but guilt and the sentence of death. {9MR 236.1}

These dear children received from Adam an inheritance of disobedience, of guilt and death. {13MR 14.1}

Their sin brought guilt and sorrow upon the world, and caused the death of the Son of God. {SW, August 11, 1908 par. 7}

He, the second Adam, redeemed us from suffering the results of Adam's disgraceful fall. {2SAT 236.4}

Adam and God are reconciled by the obedience of the second Adam, who accomplished the work of overcoming the temptations of Satan and redeeming Adam's disgraceful failure and fall. {6BC 1092.8}

Adam sinned, and the children of Adam share his guilt and its consequences; but Jesus bore the guilt of Adam, and all the children of Adam that will flee to Christ, the second Adam, may escape the penalty of transgression. {ST, May 19, 1890 par. 8}

"Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life." (Romans 5:18) We must choose to be saved, otherwise, we are condemned to death by default. Our eternal destiny is based on the character we form in this lifetime. "The character as formed in this world determines one’s destiny for eternity." {CTr 188.3}

Quote:
M: By the way, do you agree with the rest of the post? Namely, do you agree sinful flesh tempts us with unholy thoughts and feelings and that we do not incur guilt or condemnation so long as we refuse to indulge its sinful desires?

A: I agree that if we are tempted by the lusts of our own sinful natures and we shun it immediately, we do not incur guilt in the sense that such lusts are unavoidable deficiencies that Jesus covers. I do not believe that such fleshly lusts are holy and righteous fruits of the Spirit. They are sinful and need atonement by Christ's blood.

What do you mean by "unavoidable deficiencies"?

What is the difference between "lusts of the flesh" and "fruit of the Spirit"?

In what sense does Jesus atone for the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/09/12 09:48 PM

M: Yes. But sinful flesh nature isn't a sentient being.

A: And neither is the flesh a sentient being. So, if the non-sentient sinful flesh nature tempts the non-sentient flesh to commit some evil act, is there no guilt incurred, since none of the parties involved are sentient? My father says this happens to him all the time. His sinful nature gets his body to do some rather nasty things, while his new, spiritual nature objects and wants to be holy the whole time. And afterwards, his new, spiritual nature is always very sad about the incident, and therefore remains perfectly acceptable to God. Do you buy his story?

What is the difference between "sinful flesh nature" and "the flesh"? Ellen wrote:

Quote:
The words "flesh" or "fleshly" or "carnal lusts" embrace the lower, corrupt nature; the flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God. We are commanded to crucify the flesh, with the affections and lusts. {AH 127.2}

Aren't "sinful flesh nature" and "the flesh" one and the same thing?

Also, it sounds like your father interprets "it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me" in a way that allows him to blame sinning on his flesh. So, no, I don't "buy his story". Neither am I convinced of your story. I'm not ready to buy the idea that God counts me guilty and condemned because my fallen flesh tempts me to indulge my innocent and legitimate needs in sinful ways. Nor am I ready to buy the idea that the righteous results of abiding of Jesus are selfish and sin-stained because my fallen flesh nature clamors for sinful expression.

PS - Please address the other questions and comments in my post. Thank you.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/13/12 09:21 PM

We are not guilty of sinning in Eden. We need not repent of Adam's sin.

I'm not saying that we must repent for what he did. But we must repent for what we are. Selfishness is sin and needs repentance and atonement, even if we don't "do" it.

If a person is selfish, depraved, and lustful, does he need to repent and be born again if he's only like this in the privacy of his own mind?

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/14/12 07:12 PM

M: We are not guilty of sinning in Eden. We need not repent of Adam's sin.

A: I'm not saying that we must repent for what he did. But we must repent for what we are. Selfishness is sin and needs repentance and atonement, even if we don't "do" it. If a person is selfish, depraved, and lustful, does he need to repent and be born again if he's only like this in the privacy of his own mind?

Yes, cherishing selfish and sinful thoughts and feelings in the privacy of one's own mind requires repentance, pardon, and atonement. But if we don't "do it", that is if we don't cherish them or act them out in words or deeds we do not incur guilt or condemnation. The sinful, selfish thoughts and feelings that come to mind via sinful flesh are nothing more than temptations. It is not a sin to be tempted. We need not repent because we are tempted. The idea that being tempted from within via sinful flesh causes corruption is unbiblical. Where in the Bible is such an idea articulated?

PS - I look forward to you responding to the rest of the comments and questions above. Thank you.

Re: Lesson #10 (4th Quarter 2011): The Two Covenants - 01/19/12 07:10 PM

Bump.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church