Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT

Posted By: Daryl

Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/25/06 11:51 PM

Lesson Study #1 is on The Personality & Divinity of the Holy Spirit which can be found at the following link:

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06b/less01nkjv.html

Let this particular study be discussed here.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/25/06 11:57 PM

This is what we read in the lesson study guide for this Sabbath afternoon:

quote:

Memory Text: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 28:19).

One doesn't have to read far in the Bible before one is confronted with the Holy Spirit. Genesis 1:2 reads, "The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters" (NASB); meanwhile, at the other end of the Bible, Revelation 22:17 reads, "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."

Of course, between these two texts, throughout the pages of Scripture, the work and ministry of the Holy Spirit are revealed to us. This especially is true in the New Testament, where we are given many insights into the reality, purpose, and function of the Holy Spirit, particularly in regard to the plan of salvation.

This week we'll concentrate on one often misunderstood aspect of the Holy Spirit: His divinity. In other words, the Holy Spirit isn't just some impersonal force that emanates from God. Instead, He is God, one of the three Persons who make up the Godhead of the Christian faith. Let's take a look at this fundamental teaching of the Bible.

Let us discuss this week's topic using the information presented in the Lesson Study Guide at this link:

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06b/less01nkjv.html

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/26/06 12:21 AM

Sunday's study is titled, The Triune God.

The preamble of this day's study says:

quote:

The second of the 28 Fundamental Beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church reads, in part: "There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons."—Seventh-day Adventists Believe . . . (2005 ed.), p. 23. In other words, Adventists—along with millions of other Christians—believe in the triune nature of God; that is, there is one God (Deut. 6:4) who exists as three Persons. While that concept itself might not be simple, the biblical evidence for this truth is powerful and compelling. That we can't fully understand something, particularly something about the very nature of God Himself, is hardly reason to reject it (Job 11:7, 1 Cor. 13:12).

I bolded some of this for emphasis purposes only.
Posted By: Dr.Glenn

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/26/06 02:21 AM

Dear Daryl:
You quoted: "There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal persons. God (the unity of three co-eternal persons) is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, ever present."
However, my Bible says: "Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power everlasting. Amen." (It does not say that a unity of three co-eternal persons only hath immortality). See 1 Tim. 6:16.
"For as the Father hath life in himself, so hath he given to the Son to have life within himself". (The Son Jesus Christ only hath immortality because the Father gave this to him) John 5:26 (it does not say that the unity of three co-eternal persons only hath immortality)
"The Son can do nothing of himself." John 5:19. "All power is given unto me in heaven and earth. " Matthew 28:18 "As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him."
John 17:2. (the Son Jesus Christ is all-powerful because the Father gave this to him) (it does not say that the unity of three co-eternal persons is all powerful).
"But of that day and hour, knoweth no man, no not the angels, which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father." (the Son Jesus Christ is not all-knowing).
"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you." (the Son Jesus Christ is ever present through his representative, the Holy Spirit).
Posted By: Colin

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/26/06 07:45 AM

For openers I'll agree with everything Dr Glenn has posted just above here.

The rest of Sunday's section is mainly that magnificent statement by Ellen White about the Father as the Godhead bodily but invisible to mortal sight, the Son as the Godhead manifested, and the Comforter as the Spirit in all the fulness of the Godhead, making divine power and grace manifest among us believers.

The question at the end implicitly contradicts her statement, it would appear: "how one God can be composed of three equal Persons." Given the texts in Dr Glenn's post above about the Father alone having immortality and the Son having his authority, equality and divine life from his Father whose divine nature he has, "one God" isn't composed of three persons since divine nature isn't composed of three persons. Three persons possess divine nature: that the Father mysteriously begot his Son before time or eternity were created and that the Spirit proceeds from them to us as Jesus' presence - and all creation as divine power itself, makes the Godhead the divine nature which is possessed by three persons - a truly simple concept to grasp, even for unbelievers or for confused believers.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/26/06 08:28 AM

Dear Colin:
I agree with your statements. I would also add this: My Bible says: "One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all." Ephesians 4:6. (it does not say that a unity of three co-eternal persons is above all).

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 07:16 AM

The question in Sunday's study:

How do each of the following texts point to the plurality of the Godhead?

Let's look at the first one quoted below:

quote:

Genesis 1:26 (New King James Version)

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[a] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Footnotes:

a. Genesis 1:26 Syriac reads all the wild animals of.

Plurality is seen in the word Our stated twice in the above Bible quote and reference.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 07:25 AM

The second, third, and fourth quoted texts compliments the first one:

quote:

Genesis 3:22 (New King James Version)

22 Then the LORD God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”—

Genesis 11:7 (New King James Version)

7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

Isaiah 6:8 (New King James Version)

8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying:

“ Whom shall I send,
And who will go for Us?

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Again, the plurality is seen in the word Us in all of the above quoted texts.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 01:53 AM

What does the fifth Bible reference tell us?

quote:

John 1:1-3 (New King James Version)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

Verse 14 is also very important in connection with the above.

quote:

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

The Word that became flesh and dwelt among us was none other than Jesus Christ who was also referred to as God in verse 1.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 02:04 AM

The sixth and final reference given is quoted below:

quote:

John 8:58 (New King James Version)

58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

Jesus referred to Himself as the I AM, a title reserved for Jehovah God.

Jesus, therefore, is none other than Jehovah God.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 04:51 AM

Dear Daryl:
The term "us" means more than one. It could mean two or one trillion.
My Bible says: "Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit snd rule upon his throne, and he shall be a priest upon his throne; and the counsel of peace shall be between them both."
How many sit on the throne? ?
The counsel of peace shall be between how many?
My Bible says: "And he shall swear by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God, and by him that sitteth thereon." Matthew 23:22
"And immediately I was in the spirit, and behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne." Revelation 4:2
"And he cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb." Revelation 7:10
"Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the Majesty in the heavens."
Hebrews 8:1
"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him enduteth the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2
How many sit on the throne of God?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 05:00 AM

Originally posted by Daryl
quote:
Jesus referred to Himself as the I AM, a title reserved for Jehovah God.

Jesus, therefore, is none other than Jehovah God.

Yes, the plurality of divine persons isn't in question, and the divine name is the divine name, expressed by Jesus as the manifestation of the Godhead to us.

What is wrong is the idea of a triune divine nature, where the three divine persons make up the divine nature: The EGW quote on Sunday's section reputes that completely.

The divinity of Jesus alongside his Father and their Spirit isn't in doubt, thank you.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 05:00 AM

Dear Daryl:
My Bible says: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and the Word was God."
In this context, the term "the God" in the second sentence denotes a noun. The term "God" in the third sentence denotes a verb.
Furthermore it describes a sequence of events over time.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 05:14 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Glenn
quote:
My Bible says: "Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit snd rule upon his throne, and he shall be a priest upon his throne; and the counsel of peace shall be between them both."
How many sit on the throne? ?

Thank you for that emphatic study on the point that Jesus alone shares his Father's throne with him - and there isn't a 3rd or more persons sharing it, and it should be accepted by all Adventists that the Holy Spirit doesn't have a body... [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 05:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Glenn:
Dear Daryl:
My Bible says: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and the Word was God."
In this context, the term "the God" in the second sentence denotes a noun. The term "God" in the third sentence denotes a verb.
Furthermore it describes a sequence of events over time.

That's not true in my understanding of Greek: "God" in the middle clause has grammatically an absolute sense, while "God" in the last clause has grammatically a qualitative sense. IOW, the Word is qualitatively divine but not the divine person possessing absolute divinity, which the God has whom the Word is with.

Where do you get any sequence of events from that sentence?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 05:29 AM

Dear Colin:
I admit I am not an expert on the Greek language.
In regard to you question regarding sequence:
Answer:
First event: "In the beginning was the Word"
Second event: "and the Word was with the God"
Third event: "and the Word was God".

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 05:57 AM

quote:
Dear Colin:
First event: "In the beginning was the Word"
Second event: "and the Word was with the God"
Third event: "and the Word was God".

That's not clearly a sequence in time, but the word order in the sentence describing a state of existence involving God and the Word. Later in the chapter the Word is described as begotten of God, so the Word didn't precede God as "in the beginning was the Word" intimates in the sense of a sequential event.

Jn 1:1 just describes the existence as persons of God and his Word. 'Eternity' isn't even discussed as a condition for that existence. Yes, I reject the co-existence theory, which completely rejects the teaching that the Word/Son of God was begotten of the Father before creation began. Jn 1:1 just states that the Word and God are both divine persons.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 06:38 AM

Monday's section (it's Monday, where I am!) is God the Holy Spirit: Part 1 and has this before the texts are listed denoting the Spirit's divine activities and authority
quote:
Most people don't have a problem with the idea of the Father as God. After all, God is who the Father is. Even the idea of Jesus as God, as a fully Divine Being manifest in human form, though somewhat difficult to grasp, is, nevertheless, comprehensible. After all, an all-powerful God should be able to manifest Himself in human flesh if He so chooses to, right?

For many people, however, the concept of the Holy Spirit Himself as God is a much more difficult concept. It's much easier to think of the Holy Spirit not as God Himself but as some sort of impersonal force, some divine energy and power, such as gravity, that comes from God and pervades the world.

Yet, the Bible is clear that the Holy Spirit is Divine; that is, the Holy Spirit, just as the Father and as the Son, is one of the divine Personages of the Godhead.

The divinity of the Holy Spirit is, thank God, not in doubt for any on this forum - to my knowledge(?). Only proviso I would add is that the lesson generally omitted to join the Spirit's personality to its pure power, having asserted that it isn't just a power & influence. They can't assert his personality and simultaneously forget about its pure, divine power: hence the Spirit is both it and he.

I would suggest, though, that there are 2 problems with the lesson text excerpted above. Firstly, "God the Holy Spirit" - in the heading - isn't reliably Biblical: only "God the Father" is soundly & explicitly Biblical...a shared divinity among three persons, only two of whom have bodies, is difficult enough without mudding the water by formally entitling the others as "God the..." when both other divine persons have the inspired titles "Son of God" and "Spirit of God". A false impression is given and taught that the divine nature has to consist of all three individual persons rather than each of the three rightly possessing divine nature, a nature physically defined by God the Father and given by him to his Son and possessed also by their Spirit - the Spirit is "Jesus'" and "God's" in the Bible. "God the Holy Spirit" is a trinitarian formula which has dangerous affects on understanding the nature of God.

Secondly, this sentence
quote:
After all, an all-powerful God should be able to manifest Himself in human flesh if He so chooses to, right?
is potentially totally inadequate even basically to distinguish between Jesus and God his Father as to who was incarnated. Hopefully Jesus' separate divine existence with his Father is even implicit in the previous sentence!...it is palpably taken for granted. [Roll Eyes]

That's enough for discussion to occupy us for the next three days. I think: the lesson material for Tuesday and Wednesday only really repeats today's points. But feel free, if you wish, of course.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 08:58 AM

Dear Colin:
The last paragraph of Monday's lesson says: "Jesus, in Matthew 12:31,32, says blasphemy spoken against Him can be forgiven but not blasphemy spoken against the Holy Spirit, a concept that doesn't make much sense if the Holy Spirit is anything less than God." If a person does not accept that the Holy Spirit is "God the Holy Spirit" and another God separate from the Father, is he guilty of blasphemy?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 02:04 PM

quote:
If a person does not accept that the Holy Spirit is "God the Holy Spirit" and another God separate from the Father, is he guilty of blasphemy?

Would that be 'another divine personality' separate from the Father or a 'second god'? Basically I don't understand misconceiving the divine nature of the personalities of the Godhead to be blasphemy - ie. different views of how and who is God, but using their names in vain is ordinary blasphemy while the Spirit's work mustn't be consciously alleged to be the Devil's work - such allegation is blasphemy against the Spirit.

What do you mean by your alternatives on the Spirit, though?
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 05:34 PM

quote:
It [the Bible] does not say that a unity of three co-eternal persons only hath immortality
The Bible says that Christ and the Spirit are also eternal, so we have three co-eternal persons:

“That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched--this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us” (1 John 1:1,2).

“How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God” (Heb. 9:14).

Ellen White also says:

The eternal Godhead--the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost—is involved in the action required to make assurance to the human agent, . . . confederating the heavenly powers with the human that man may become, through heavenly efficiency, partakers of the divine nature and workers together with Christ.” {UL 148.4}

The eternal heavenly dignitaries--God, and Christ, and the Holy Spirit—arming them [the disciples] with more than mortal energy, . . . would advance with them to the work and convince the world of sin.”--Manuscript 145, 1901. {Ev 616.4}

As to John 5:26, it DOES NOT say that God gave Him the life that is in Him, but that God gave Him to have life in Himself. The clear meaning is that God allowed Him to have life in Himself. But who said this refers to Christ in His pre-incarnate state?

The context makes clear that Christ was speaking of His mission as Messiah _ He explicitly uses the words SON OF MAN:

"For, as the Father hath life in himself, so He gave also to the Son to have life in himself, and authority He gave him also to do judgment, because he is Son of Man" (John 5:25, 26, Young's Literal Translation).

Therefore God granted, or allowed, the man Christ Jesus to have in Himself, as a human being, the eternal life He had possessed in heaven before becoming a man, and to manifest it to the world.

Christ's subordinative passages in the Bible refer to Christ’s role in the plan of salvation in its several phases. When He was on earth He said the Father was greater than Him. In fact, on becoming a man He was made even lower than the angels (Heb. 2:9). If you interpret these passages as not referring to Christ's role in the plan of salvation, you end up by worshiping a lesser God and a higher God, which is simply BITHEISM.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 05:47 PM

Dear Colin:
The author of today's sabbath school lesson is trying to infuse in the minds of the readers that the Holy Spirit of God is himself God separate and distinct from the only true God who is the Father and (as I interpret the last paragraph) the author is implying that if a person does not accept the doctrine that the Holy Spirit of God is himself God separate and distinct from the only true God who is the Father then that person is guilty of blasphemy.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 08:57 PM

quote:
Dear Colin:
The author of today's sabbath school lesson is trying to infuse in the minds of the readers that the Holy Spirit of God is himself God separate and distinct from the only true God who is the Father and (as I interpret the last paragraph) the author is implying that if a person does not accept the doctrine that the Holy Spirit of God is himself God separate and distinct from the only true God who is the Father then that person is guilty of blasphemy.

Yes, well spotted, and we agree do we not that he's wrong on both counts: The Spirit of God is divine but not "God himself", since, as the lesson itself states, "God is who the Father is," and blasphemy against the Spirit is identifying his work in us with the Devil, not refusing to accept that the Spirit is "God himself". Can't make the Son and Spirit 'God' in an absolute sense since only God the Father is that; poor choice of words - "God himself" rather than just divine (can't be "less divine"!) - gives totally the wrong meaning to the Son & Spirit's divinity.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rosangela
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Glenn

It [the Bible] does not say that a unity of three co-eternal persons only hath immortality

The Bible says that Christ and the Spirit are also eternal, so we have three co-eternal persons:

Rosangela, Dr. Glenn is showing the lesson's error first in "a unity" of divine nature composed of three divine persons - i.e. divine nature is three persons, which is dead wrong.Rather, three persons possess divine nature. Furthermore, the Father "only hath immortality" means that Jn 5:26 is equally before the incarnation as anything by faith thereafter, so the Son of God and the Spirit of God cannot "only have immortality" despite the lesson saying that all three do.

The eternal divinity of Christ isn't in dispute, nor the divine personality of the Spirit, but rather making the Spirit and the Son exactly like the Father as "God himself" when they most definitely are not while both being divine: that is what is objected to.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 09:46 PM

What does being God mean? What does being divine mean?

Jesus is said to be Jehovah, the self-existent One. Yet God alone has immortality. So how is Jesus self-existent without having immortality in Himself?

Given that Christ created all things, He created space and time. Given that Christ created time, how could He not have immortality within Himself? When would He have received it?

Did the Holy Spirit always exist? He must have always existed, as the Spirit of God, since God has always existed. So the Holy Spirit has existed longer than Christ? God the Father and the Holy Spirit have always existed, but Christ did not? How did the Holy Spirit go from being the Spirit of God to being the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ too?

If God the Father existed before Christ did, then there was a time when only God existed, right? As such, is it God's nature to love Himself? If God is love, and all that existed was God, wouldn't that mean that God must have loved Himself, since there was noone else to love?

Sorry to run amuck with questions. I just ate, which I guess pushed me into question asking mode.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/27/06 11:26 PM

quote:
Rosangela, Dr. Glenn is showing the lesson's error first in "a unity" of divine nature composed of three divine persons - i.e. divine nature is three persons, which is dead wrong. Rather, three persons possess divine nature.
The lesson doesn’t say “a unity of divine nature” – these are your words, and I agree that they do not make much sense. The lesson says “a unity of three co-eternal persons”. The concept of “unity” is taken from Jesus’ own words in John 10:30 and 17:21.

quote:
Furthermore, the Father "only hath immortality"
He who is said to only have immortality is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, a title which is applied to the Lord Jesus Christ (Rev. 17:14; 19:16). Besides, Ellen White says that “Christ only has immortality” (RH, July 10, 1900).

quote:
making the Spirit and the Son exactly like the Father as "God himself" when they most definitely are not while both being divine: that is what is objected to.
Jesus is never called “divine” in the Bible, but He most definitely is called God.
Furthernore, Ellen White says that He is “God essentially, and in the highest sense” (RH, April 5, 1906).
Therefore, I don’t understand your objection to His being referred to as “God himself”.
As to the Holy Spirit being God, this is implied in Matthew 12:31, 32, which is the argument of the lesson. How is it that a sin against God can be forgiven but a sin against the Holy Spirit can’t? Would it make any sense to say that a sin against God can be forgiven but a sin against the angels can’t? No. Why? Because the angels are inferior to God. Christ’s argument only makes sense if the Holy Spirit is equal to God.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 05:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ewall:
What does being God mean? What does being divine mean?

Jesus is said to be Jehovah, the self-existent One. Yet God alone has immortality. So how is Jesus self-existent without having immortality in Himself?

Being "God" is what the Father does: Monday's section of the lesson has "God is who the Father is". "God" in Scripture is both a personal reference to God the Father (like shorthand) and its primary meaning. Being divine is generic for the three persons of the Godhead.

As for Jesus being the I AM but God alone having immortality, Jn 5:26 explains the link: Jesus is God's only begotten Son. How, when and where is not revealed but between their persons is one divine nature, and the Spirit of God is the Spirit in all the fulness of the Godhead - or divine nature.

The Word of God is the Wisdom of God and has many other characteristic titles... [Wink] There is no beginning to the Word's existence, since the Father's expression is his Word; yet, the Son of God is begotten of the Father. The 'unique' sonship argument is flawed in that the Greek allows begotten for humans and unique for both them and inanimate objects.

The Godhead is primarily holiness, agape, mercy, justice and goodness, before listing the fruits of the Spirit [Roll Eyes] . The intellectual descriptions of eternal self-existence, all-knowing, all powerful, and present everywhere must not have the priority of definition, nor do they primarily designate what make Father, Son and Holy Spirit divine. When there is imbalance here, understanding is potentially distorted.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 06:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rosangela:
quote:
Rosangela, Dr. Glenn is showing the lesson's error first in "a unity" of divine nature composed of three divine persons - i.e. divine nature is three persons, which is dead wrong. Rather, three persons possess divine nature.
The lesson doesn’t say “a unity of divine nature” – these are your words, and I agree that they do not make much sense. The lesson says “a unity of three co-eternal persons”. The concept of “unity” is taken from Jesus’ own words in John 10:30 and 17:21.
Yes, unity of purpose is vital, but the teachers notes state "God's triune Being reveals his inherently sociable, communicative and interactive nature". The lesson text and teachers comments combine to portray a triune divine nature or being of three co-eternal persons, united in purpose while sharing an equal nature: that's indistinguishable from a unity of divine nature composed absolutely of three persons. They said enough to leave that understanding....Our doctrinal books explain the divine trio as merely united in purpose and with little more than common, eternal, self-existence they're divine - with no natural links like begotten or proceeding between them.

That's questionable.

quote:
quote:
Furthermore, the Father "only hath immortality"
He who is said to only have immortality is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, a title which is applied to the Lord Jesus Christ (Rev. 17:14; 19:16). Besides, Ellen White says that “Christ only has immortality” (RH, July 10, 1900).
Isn't Ellen White's point a contrast between Christ's divinity and our mortal humanity, in relation to receiving immortality at his Return? As for my point, I insist, for 1 Tim 6:14-16
quote:
14that thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15which He in His times shall show -- He who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords,
16who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto, whom no man hath seen nor can see, to whom be honor and power everlasting. Amen.

clearly distinguishes between our Lord Jesus Christ and the Father and only Potentate: Who dwells in light which no man can approach unto, whom no man hath seen nor can see??....Whose times shall show the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ????...

Obviously Jesus is divine and has immortality, but Scripture is simply clear that he has that from his Father. Jn 5:26 for starters; Heb 1:1-5 is commented on in 8T 268 by stating the Jesus is his Father's Son, to whom all the cousels of his Father are opened; coupled with P&P chapter 1, these EGW comments predate Lucifer's fall and creation - for Prov 8:22-30 is cited. Really I'm just clarifying the relationship between Father, Son and their Spirit as understood by our church till after Sister White's death, against unhelpful if not inaccurate SS lesson content.
quote:
quote:
making the Spirit and the Son exactly like the Father as "God himself" when they most definitely are not while both being divine: that is what is objected to.
Jesus is never called “divine” in the Bible, but He most definitely is called God.
Furthernore, Ellen White says that He is “God essentially, and in the highest sense” (RH, April 5, 1906).
Therefore, I don’t understand your objection to His being referred to as “God himself”.
As to the Holy Spirit being God, this is implied in Matthew 12:31, 32, which is the argument of the lesson. How is it that a sin against God can be forgiven but a sin against the Holy Spirit can’t? Would it make any sense to say that a sin against God can be forgiven but a sin against the angels can’t? No. Why? Because the angels are inferior to God. Christ’s argument only makes sense if the Holy Spirit is equal to God.

Have a look at my most recent post to Tom about being divine and being God. John 1:1 has Jesus, the Word, described as divine, not called divine, and not called God, which the Father is called in that verse. It is correct to state Jesus is God, as the Father's Son, but calling him God is in the context that he has a divine Father; of his divinity there never was any question here or in our church's formal teaching. Three divine persons wouldn't have one that is less than divine or less equal: no-one here thinks that, to my knowledge. Separating the Son of God and the Spirit of God from "God himself" is matter of a personal reference: "God himself" is solely a reference to the Father, in ordinary Biblical language, not a term for divine nature.

As a church we formally blur the difference between the Godhead of three divine persons and a divine nature consisting minimally of three persons. Emphasising a triune nature or being of God lands one with the latter, wrong option above: it's at best a poor choice of words - substituting "God himself" for "divine nature" for each person of the Godhead, or at worst it's intentionally teaching a mistaken view of the nature of God which is now both popular and compulsory under our formal trinitarian profession.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 07:24 AM

quote:
There is no beginning to the Word's existence, since the Father's expression is his Word; yet, the Son of God is begotten of the Father.
I agree with this.

quote:
The 'unique' sonship argument is flawed in that the Greek allows begotten for humans and unique for both them and inanimate objects.
This is not sound logic. Let's say "Monogenes" may be translated "unique" or "begotten." "Unique" may apply to either animals or or humans, whereas "begotten" can be applied to only humans. This is no way argues that the word should be translated "begotten." You see that, don't you? I can elaborate if necessary.

By the way, I don't have a problem with the word "begotten." I'm just pointing out the faulty logic.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 12:44 PM

Dear Tom:
You state: "This is not sound logic. Let's say "monogenes" may be translated "unique" or "begotten". "Unique" may apply to either animals or humans whereas "begot" can be applied to only humans.
If one uses the word "unique", then one, like Tom, can say that the SON was not the literal divine Son of God before he was born of Mary but was merely one of the three divine beings who was playing a role in the plan of salvation. If one uses the word "begotten" then one, like Colin, can say that the SON was the literal divine Son of God before he was born of Mary and thus was not playing a role in the plan of salvation.
Tom, do you have any scripture to back up your position? In other words do you have other scripture besides the verses referred to in order to back up that the correct translation is "unique"?
Colin, do you have any scripture to back up your position? In other words do you have any other scripture besides the verses referred to in order to back up that the correct translation is "monogenes"?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 12:51 PM

Sorry, I meant to say Colin do you have any other scriptures to show that the correct translation of "monogenes" should be "begotten"?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 01:32 PM

Today's lesson is entitled "God the Holy Spirit, Part 2". It states in reference to Acts 5:3,5 the following: "In these two verses the Holy Spirit and God are used interchangeably". So if the Holy Spirit is a third God as distinguished from "God the Father" and "God the Son", can I pray to the Holy Spirit and go directly to "God the Holy Spirit" without a mediator and have my sins forgiven? If "God the Holy Spirit" is fully God in the sense that "God the Father" is fully God, he should be able to forgive my sins shouldn't he?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 05:11 PM

Colin,

quote:
There is no beginning to the Word's existence, since the Father's expression is his Word; yet, the Son of God is begotten of the Father.
But the same can be said of the Son of God, that is, that He has no beginning:

“Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life -- LIKE THE SON OF GOD” (Hebrews 7:3)

Besides, “children derive life and being from their parents” (ST, September 10, 1894 par. 5), but “in Christ is life, original, unborrowed, underived” (DA 530).

I agree with you that in the teachers’ notes there are some inaccurate expressions and comparisons. That comparison about the multifunctional products and the multitask maternity role could be confused with modalism (God is a single person who, throughout biblical history, has revealed Himself in three modes, or forms). And that expression you mentioned, “God's triune Being” is a Catholic concept – that God is one Being in three persons. This is not our position – for us there is one Godhead in three beings:

“Here is where the work of the Holy Ghost comes in, after your baptism. You are baptized in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. You are raised up out of the water to live henceforth in newness of life--to live a new life. You are born unto God, and you stand under the sanction and the power of the three holiest beings in heaven, who are able to keep you from falling. You are to reveal that you are dead to sin; your life is hid with Christ in God. Hidden "with Christ in God,"--wonderful transformation. This is a most precious promise. When I feel oppressed, and hardly know how to relate myself toward the work that God has given me to do, I just call upon the three great Worthies, and say; You know I cannot do this work in my own strength. You must work in me, and by me and through me, sanctifying my tongue, sanctifying my spirit, sanctifying my words, and bringing me into a position where my spirit shall be susceptible to the movings of the Holy Spirit of God upon my mind and character.” {7MR 267.2}

As to 1 Tim 6:14-16, the text could apply to both God the Father and Christ, but the context of Ellen White’s writings seems to favor the application to Christ (see the article “Christ the Life-Giver”, 1 SM 296-300; ST, April 8, 1897).

quote:
Obviously Jesus is divine and has immortality, but Scripture is simply clear that he has that from his Father. Jn 5:26 for starters
Repeating what I said in my first post of yesterday, John 5:26 does not say that God gave to Christ the life that is in Him, but that God gave Christ to have life in Himself. The clear meaning is that God allowed Him to have life in Himself. But the context makes clear that in this text Christ was speaking of His mission as the Messiah, not of His pre-incarnate state _ He explicitly uses the words Son of Man:

"For, as the Father hath life in himself, so He gave also to the Son to have life in himself, and authority He gave him also to do judgment, because he is Son of Man" (John 5:25, 26, Young's Literal Translation).

Therefore God granted, or allowed, the man Christ Jesus to have in Himself, as a human being, the eternal life He had possessed in heaven before becoming a man, and to manifest it to the world:

“The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us” (1 John 1:2).

quote:
John 1:1 has Jesus, the Word, described as divine, not called divine, and not called God, which the Father is called in that verse.
Not called God? Colin, the text says, “the Word was God”. You don’t agree with this translation?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 05:13 PM

quote:
So if the Holy Spirit is a third God as distinguished from "God the Father" and "God the Son", can I pray to the Holy Spirit and go directly to "God the Holy Spirit" without a mediator and have my sins forgiven? If "God the Holy Spirit" is fully God in the sense that "God the Father" is fully God, he should be able to forgive my sins shouldn't he?
Dr. Glenn,

The Bible doesn’t say that the Father or the Son convince us of sin, but I suppose they could do it, however each of the members of the Godhead assumed a role in the plan of salvation.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 06:14 PM

quote:
Sorry, I meant to say Colin do you have any other scriptures to show that the correct translation of "monogenes" should be "begotten"?

Your original post was quite clear! Tom doesn't disagree with "begotten", BTW. His view of it is a little different, though.

There is no better or other text, since the thinking is about the roots & meaning of words - which is never the answer (see below). Here's a bit from Lee Irons that is helpful, that I found just now. Irons supports Sunday theology, so I shan't post his website
quote:
Traditionally, the doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son was supported by an appeal to the five Johannine texts in which Christ is identified as monogenes (Jn 1:14, 18; 3:16, 18; I Jn 4:9). As early as Jerome's Vulgate, this word was understood in the sense of "only begotten" (unigenitus), and the tradition was continued by the Authorized Version. However, most scholars of this century reject this understanding and believe, instead, that the idea behind the word is more along the lines of "only" (RSV) or "one and only" (NIV) [3]. One of the main arguments is that the -genes suffix is related to the verb ginomai rather than gennao, thus acquiring the meaning "category" or "genus."

Unfortunately, this argument requires a selective reading of the evidence. It ignores the wealth of lexemes [i.e. words] that have the -genes suffix. After searching Thesaurus Linguae Graecae on CD-ROM (a comprehensive collection of all extant Greek literature up to the 6th century AD), my estimate is that there are approximately 120 such words in the Greek vocabulary. Of these, 30% are not listed in Liddell and Scott [a pro-'begotten' book], but the lexicon's glosses of 55% contain such words as "born" and "produced." For example, neogenes is glossed as "newly produced," and theogenes, "born of God." A mere 11% involve meanings related to "kind" (e.g., homogenes means "of the same genus"), while the remainder of usages have miscellaneous meanings. The sheer preponderance of the evidence would indicate that monogenes in the Johannine literature could very well mean "only begotten." At least, it cannot be ruled out on the basis of etymology [i.e. genuine or literal sense of a word]. [4] Footnote[4]: Those who use etymological considerations to support their revisionist exegesis would do well to remember that arguments from usage are far more relevant than arguments from etymology. James Barr, The Semantics of Biblical Language (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1961). A comprehensive study of the usage of monogenes supports the traditional translation. John V. Dahms, "The Johannine Use of Monogenes Reconsidered," New Testament Studies 29 (1983) 222-32.

The Biblical uses are pretty unanimous.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 06:53 PM

quote:
Colin,
quote:
But the same can be said of the Son of God, that is, that He has no beginning:

“Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life -- LIKE THE SON OF GOD” (Hebrews 7:3)

Besides, “children derive life and being from their parents” (ST, September 10, 1894 par. 5), but “in Christ is life, original, unborrowed, underived” (DA 530).

Whether the Son of God has a beginning or not isn't disclosed in the Bible, but his begetting is disclosed, so we shouldn't go beyond Scripture in our precision. As for Melchisedek, his lack of Biblically recorded genealogy, etc., is a matter of human record, symbolising the Son's eternity, not a description of the Son's lack of a Father. Don't take the text beyond what it presents, please.

That DA 530 sentence is taken out of context if used as you have - our scholars led in that example, so this is nothing against you but against bad, very bad scholarship presented to us to use. She wasn't addressing Jesus' divinity and his begotten Sonship in eternity - which she completely taught: she was addressing his gift to us of eternal life since he has divine life of his own, being divine. It was a sentence she wrote in Signs of the Times about Jn 3:16's "eternal life" which we do not have naturally, but Jesus does.

1 Tim 6:14-16 certainly mentions both Christ and the Father, but v.15&16 are patently about the Father. That the Father gave Christ permission for all sorts of miracles, including his own resurrection - but also his own death, as God, isn't all that Jn 5:26 refers to: unless that happened in heaven before creation began then it could not happen on earth.

What about Heb 1:1-5 and 8T 268? It really is very simple: the Son of God was literally such before Bethlehem.

As for Jn 1:1, it is idiomatically "the Word was God", but literally it is "the Word was divine": the grammar gives that "God" a qualitative meaning, not an absolute meaning, while "with God" has an absolute meaning. Just taking both angles.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/29/06 07:46 AM

Today's sabbath school lesson asks: "How does 1 Corinthians 12:4-11, 28 help us to understand the divinity of the Holy spirit?
1 Corinthians 12:6 says: "And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all".
Who is this same God?
a) God the Father?
b) God the Son?
c) God the Holy Spirit?
d) The God who is a unity of three co-eternal persons?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 09:22 PM

quote:
Dear Tom:
You state: "This is not sound logic. Let's say "monogenes" may be translated "unique" or "begotten". "Unique" may apply to either animals or humans whereas "begot" can be applied to only humans.
If one uses the word "unique", then one, like Tom, can say that the SON was not the literal divine Son of God before he was born of Mary but was merely one of the three divine beings who was playing a role in the plan of salvation. If one uses the word "begotten" then one, like Colin, can say that the SON was the literal divine Son of God before he was born of Mary and thus was not playing a role in the plan of salvation.
Tom, do you have any scripture to back up your position? In other words do you have other scripture besides the verses referred to in order to back up that the correct translation is "unique"?

If you look at what I wrote, you will notice that I did not take issue with translating "monogenes" as "begotten." You're not being accurate in suggesting that translating "monogenes" as "unique" is my position.

I was pointing out that the logic Colin was using was incorrect. I explained why. If you are not following my argument, I can develop it in more depth. I think the argument is easily followed, however, so I just presented it briefly.
Posted By: Bill Wennell

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/28/06 10:27 PM

http://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/documents/Christ.htm

http://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/documents/trinitydoc%20among%20sda.pdf

http://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/documents/Doctrine%20of%20the%20Trinity.pdf

http://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/documents/trinscript.pdf

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/29/06 02:26 AM

quote:
That DA 530 sentence is taken out of context if used as you have - our scholars led in that example, so this is nothing against you but against bad, very bad scholarship presented to us to use. She wasn't addressing Jesus' divinity and his begotten Sonship in eternity - which she completely taught: she was addressing his gift to us of eternal life since he has divine life of his own, being divine.
Christ can only give us life because He is life – this is obvious. How could someone be defined as life if there was a time He didn't exist (that is, before being "begotten")?
Ellen White is not addressing Christ’s earthly life, which was derived from Mary, so “underived” here refers to what, if not to His pre-existence? If He had been literally begotten by God, His life would obviously have been derived from God, no matter how you slice it.

quote:
1 Tim 6:14-16 certainly mentions both Christ and the Father, but v.15&16 are patently about the Father.
Please read the following quote and note the similarity of words and ideas with 1 Tim. 6:14-16:

“All created beings live by the will and power of God. They are recipients of the life of the Son of God. However able and talented, however large their capacities, they are replenished with life from the source of all life. He is the spring, the fountain, of life. Only he who alone hath immortality, dwelling in light and life, could say, ‘I have power to lay down my life, and I have power to take it again.’" {YI, August 4, 1898 par. 2}

quote:
What about Heb 1:1-5 and 8T 268? It really is very simple: the Son of God was literally such before Bethlehem.
Speaking about good scholarship, 8T 268 is speaking about the personality and individuality of God and Christ, not about sonship.

As to Heb. 1:1-5, the best interpreter of Scripture is Scripture itself. What I see here are two messianic OT passages which refer to the future, not to some point in past eternity. How does THE BIBLE say they were fulfilled?

First let's examine the second text alluded to in Hebrews, which is 2 Sam. 7:

"When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come forth from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son" (2 Sam. 7:12-14).

Here Solomon is used as a type of Christ. How is he used as a type of Christ? By being literally begotten by God or by having his throne forever established by God?

Now let's examine the first text alluded to, Ps. 2:

"'I have set my king on Zion, my holy hill.' I will tell of the decree of the LORD: He said to me, 'You are my son, today I have begotten you. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron, and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel'" (Ps. 2:6-9).

What is Ps. 2 speaking about? Generation or kingship? What is founded upon a decree? The kingdom of the Messiah is founded upon a decree, an eternal decree, of God the Father.

Yahweh, in the passage, declares His purpose to set His King on Zion, and the language is that of a solemn consecration to the kingly office. How was this decree executed? It was executed, or carried into effect, by Christ's resurrection from the dead and by the exaltation consequent on that:

"This He has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus; as also it is written in the second psalm, 'Thou art my Son, today I have begotten thee'" (Acts 13:33).

"And designated SON OF GOD in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord" (Rom 1:4).

It was after Christ's ressurrection that He said: "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me" (Matthew 28:18). And this was confirmed by His exaltation, when, besides a King, He became also a High Priest:

"So also Christ did not exalt himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by him who said to him, 'Thou art my Son, today I have begotten thee'" (Hebrews 5:5).

So, what I see is that THE BIBLE says Ps. 2:7 was fulfilled by Christ's resurrection and exaltation as king and high priest. Why would I apply it to a literal generation of Christ?

quote:
As for Jn 1:1, it is idiomatically "the Word was God", but literally it is "the Word was divine": the grammar gives that "God" a qualitative meaning, not an absolute meaning, while "with God" has an absolute meaning. Just taking both angles.
How much do you know of Greek and which is the grammar you are quoting from?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/29/06 04:55 AM

Rosangela posted
quote:
Ellen White is not addressing Christ’s earthly life, which was derived from Mary, so “underived” here refers to what, if not to His pre-existence? If He had been literally begotten by God, His life would obviously have been derived from God, no matter how you slice it.

Errr, she speaks directly to his divine life, doesn't she, which is gifted to believers? Pre-existence isn't her point, though it is implicit in his divinity.

As the begotten God, the Son of God shares the divine nature with his Father that his Father also has: that they both have the same nature means that the Son's divinity isn't derived but original - it is not another divinity than the Father's nature, but the very same essence of the Godhead communicated to the Son by the Father begetting him in God's undisclosed, mysterious way, as a one-off and not an ongoing generation. How can the Son be the express image of his Father's person if there wasn't a physical derivation of some sort? The divine nature is underivable, given there is only one true Godhead.

Whether or not the Son's begotten Sonship implies a beginning, his divinity in the Gospels isn't based on an eternal existence but on his Sonship - which is the entire theme of his identity in John's Gospel. Jesus' divinity doesn't rest in the Bible on his co-existence with God (I disbelieve the co-existence theory) but on his Sonship 'of God'.

1 Tim 6:15&16 has characteristics God shares with his Son, but God gave them to the Son, who manifests them to us: the Father dwells in unapproachable light, after all.

Heb 1:1-5 do indeed distinguish their divine personalities, but the SOP comments include a pre-Bethlehem mandate of authority for God's literal Son: the counsels of God are opened to his Son.

The fulfilment references to 2 Sam 7; Ps 2:7 in Heb 1 as well as your additional references Acts 13:33; in Rom 1:4 & Heb 5:5 have to combine with Jn 3:16 and Jn 1:14,18. His resurrection could only confirm his divine, begotten Sonship because it had been true before the incarnation. For example, in Jn 17:5 "Now glorify me, Father,in your presence with the glory which I had with thee before the world was." His pre-existent, divine, literal Sonship is the basis for him being declared the Son of God with power after he defeated death for us. The confirmation of Jesus' Sonship by his resurrection can surely only be because he was the only begotten God and Son of the Eternal God before he became human.

His resurrection declared him the only begotten Son of God only because it was true before Bethlehem.

My Greek is only informed enough to know that in Jn 1:1 "the Word was with God" has "the" attached to "God", while "the Word was God" doesn't have a "the": that's Greek grammar for an absolute meaning with "the" and a qualitative, descriptive meaning without "the". The Word's divinity is the Father's divinity (Jn 1 & Heb 1), but the Father is God above all.

Equality is a given, except for a very few of us, but Jesus' pre-existent Sonship - his divine identity in the Gospels (even for the demons!!) - is now formally denied by us: that's a bigger problem, wouldn't you say?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/29/06 06:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Wennell:
http://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/documents/Christ.htm

http://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/documents/trinitydoc%20among%20sda.pdf

http://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/documents/Doctrine%20of%20the%20Trinity.pdf

http://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org/documents/trinscript.pdf

Important studies, thank you, Bill, but research into more of our pioneers' published writings on the topic show that the second link above needs to be at least as tentative as it is. If brother Pfandl thinks P&P 'can only possibly' be anti-trinitarian, so her famous DA 530 statement 'can only possibly' be trinitarian: viewed as a whole she sides with her contemporaries, and they held a majority against trinitarianism until 1927 perhaps - Froom's "Coming of the Comforter"'s publication year(?). Prescott's change of view, listed in the above link as clashing with what sounded like most of the delegates at the 1919 Bible Conference, wasn't based on DA 530 but on reading non-Adventist literature before 1898 and taking on trinitarian principles which he then took DA 530 to be expressing.

As for the last two links, their presentation of three persons isn't the problem, but their reliance on non-Adventist literature raises questions when its content is compared with our literature, including this week's lesson! Basically the problem starts with the Zondervan published definition, quoted with approval: "God eternally exists as three persons." (4th link,p.1) Our SS lesson states: "God is who the Father is," and that is the correct beginning: God is not essentially three persons, but the Godhead, which doesn't have a number greater than 1 and is essential divinity, starts with the Father, and his Son and Spirit link to him, as our lesson's Sunday quote from SOP makes abundantly clear. That the link is ontological is disputed, but it's the link that fits best: it's the only way to avoid tritheism; mere unity of purpose never sufficed.

Both our lesson's teacher's comments and some lesson content is questionable after such a good start (see above), basically agreeing with Sunday church theology on the divine Being of three persons rather than three persons sharing divine nature.

The third link above has on p.6-7 "the operation of the divine Being in creation and upon the human life testified in revelation and experience" as the Biblical portrayal. That article can't discern between the divine nature shared by three persons and the divine Being of three persons, and includes both.

Vol.12 of the SDABC is nearly as bad, rejecting - in common with these articles - any ontological link between the divine persons, while holding back from the error of a divine being of three persons; yet, co-existence remains a point of contention. Its rejection of ontological links of the Son to the Father, and the Spirit to Father and Son leaves it relying on their unity of purpose to avoid tritheism. This leaves problems & questions.

[ March 29, 2006, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Colin ]

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 07:08 AM

quote:
Errr, she speaks directly to his divine life, doesn't she, which is gifted to believers? Pre-existence isn't her point, though it is implicit in his divinity.
Christ’s divine life is the life He had in His pre-existence, isn’t it?

quote:
How can the Son be the express image of his Father's person if there wasn't a physical derivation of some sort?
Christ’s being the express image of His Father is not related to physical similarity, but to similarity of character. What does this have to do with physical derivation?

quote:
The divine nature is underivable, given there is only one true Godhead.
I agree that the divine nature is underivable, but you have just contradicted this by saying that there was a physical derivation. “Underived” life means a life not derived from any other being.

quote:
Whether or not the Son's begotten Sonship implies a beginning, his divinity in the Gospels isn't based on an eternal existence but on his Sonship - which is the entire theme of his identity in John's Gospel. Jesus' divinity doesn't rest in the Bible on his co-existence with God (I disbelieve the co-existence theory) but on his Sonship 'of God'.
I think His divinity is based on His equality with God. He is co-equal with God. But if there is one aspect in which God and Christ aren’t equal – that is, in their eternity – then there is no equality.

quote:
Heb 1:1-5 do indeed distinguish their divine personalities, but the SOP comments include a pre-Bethlehem mandate of authority for God's literal Son: the counsels of God are opened to his Son.
A pre-Bethlehem mandate of authority for the Son? Ellen White says:

“God is the Father of Christ; Christ is the Son of God. To Christ has been given an exalted position. He has been made equal with the Father. All the counsels of God are opened to His Son. {8T 268.3}

She is discussing Heb. 1:1-5. But what is Heb. 1:1-5 speaking about? When was Christ made equal with the Father?

"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom He hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory, and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; being made so much better than the angels, as He hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. For unto which of the angels said He at any time, Thou art My Son, this day have I begotten Thee? And again, I will be to Him a Father, and He shall be to Me a Son?" Hebrews 1:1-5. {8T 268.2}

Here we see that He was made equal with His Father at His exaltation. And why did He have to be made equal with His Father? Why is He being compared to angels?

“But we see Jesus, who for a little while was made lower than the angels, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for every one” (Heb. 2:9).

Since He was made lower than the angels, when He ascended to heaven He was again exalted above the angels, being made equal to God by a decree. Of course all this is symbolic of His re-assuming the authority He has always had in heaven.

quote:
The confirmation of Jesus' Sonship by his resurrection can surely only be because he was the only begotten God and Son of the Eternal God before he became human.
He is the eternal Son because He is our Savior since all eternity – not because He was literally generated by God.

quote:
My Greek is only informed enough to know that in Jn 1:1 "the Word was with God" has "the" attached to "God", while "the Word was God" doesn't have a "the": that's Greek grammar for an absolute meaning with "the" and a qualitative, descriptive meaning without "the".
I don’t know which Greek grammar would say that, since the absence or presence of the article never determines a difference in the meaning of the word. All the important words of the Bible are sometimes presented with the article, sometimes without: God, faith, love, gospel, etc.
Just in the first chapter of John we have four examples of the word “God” without the article:
John 1:6 – "There was a man sent from God" – no article
John 1:12 – "he gave power to become children of God" – no article
John 1:13 – "who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God" – no article
John 1:18 – "No one has ever seen God" – no article

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/29/06 11:36 PM

quote:
I don’t know which Greek grammar would say that, since the absence or presence of the article never determines a difference in the meaning of the word. All the important words of the Bible are sometimes presented with the article, sometimes without: God, faith, love, gospel, etc.
Just in the first chapter of John we have four examples of the word “God” without the article:
John 1:6 – "There was a man sent from God" – no article
John 1:12 – "he gave power to become children of God" – no article
John 1:13 – "who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God" – no article
John 1:18 – "No one has ever seen God" – no article

I'm curious about this too, Colin. I've studied a fair amount of Greek, and don't recall the point you're making about absolulteness and articles. Just browsing around the net a bit I found this:

quote:
"The Journal of Biblical Literature says that expressions "with an anarthrous [no article] predicate preceding the verb, are primarily qualitative in meaning."

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 01:55 AM

quote:
"The Journal of Biblical Literature says that expressions "with an anarthrous [no article] predicate preceding the verb, are primarily qualitative in meaning."
Thank you, Tom: That's the explanation, for that's how Jn 1:1c is structured.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 03:23 AM

Dear Rosangela:
You state "I agree that divine nature is underivable".
We deprive "divine nature" or " the godhead" from the Father and the Son. See 2 Peter 1:4
Here the greek word for "godhead" is translated "divine nature".

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 06:36 AM

Contuing from the same author (Philip Harner)

quote:
In terms of the analysis that we have proposed, a recognition of the qualitative significance of theos would remove some ambiguity in his interpretation by differentiating between theos, as the nature that the Logos shared with God, and ho theos as the "person" to whom the Logos stood in relation. Only when this distinction is clear can we say of the Logos that "he was God."

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 06:40 AM

Some more (same dude)

quote:
1. ho logos en ho theos: The logos (the Word) and theos (God) are completely equivalent and interchangeable - they are identically the same. This is how most people mistakenly read the verse. If this had been what John had written, then we would not believe in the Trinity today. Rather, we would be monarchists.
2. theos en ho logos: This is what John actually wrote. This differs from (1) in that it makes the word theios qualitative. It's meaning is something like the New English Bible's translation: "What the Word was, God was." Moffat, Goodspeed, and other scholars have translated the qualitative word "God" using words like "divine" or "deity" but what they are trying to express with these words is prone to misunderstanding. Their meaning is in keeping with the NEB, that "divine" or "deity" refers to the unique divinity of the one True God.
3. ho logos theos en: This would have the same meaning but a different emphasis than the previous list item. This version would put the emphasis on the Word rather than on the nature he possessed.
4. ho logos hen theos: This would mean that the word was a divine being of some kind - perhaps like an angel.
5. ho logos hen theios: Similar in meaning to the last clause. Uses an adjective theios rather than a noun theos.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 09:56 AM

quote:
Dear Rosangela:
You state "I agree that divine nature is underivable".
We de[p]rive "divine nature" or " the godhead" from the Father and the Son. See 2 Peter 1:4
Here the greek word for "godhead" is translated "divine nature".

I hope you know you're pulling someone's leg with this one! [Wink]

We "partake" of divine nature by the Spirit in all the fulness of the Godhead dwelling in us, not by being 'begotten children of God' - we are after all "adopted" children: we derive nothing of the divine nature, but the righteousness of God wrought in Jesus' human character (the Father's character is strictly holy) is imparted to us.

It should be generally agreed that "Godhead" is "divine nature", hopefully.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 11:00 AM

Rosangela wrote
quote:
quote:
How can the Son be the express image of his Father's person if there wasn't a physical derivation of some sort?
Christ’s being the express image of His Father is not related to physical similarity, but to similarity of character. What does this have to do with physical derivation?
Granted the Greek speaks of character, but SOP includes appearance in that express image. In fact she says that they are so alike as to be little short of identical.
quote:
quote:
The divine nature is underivable, given there is only one true Godhead.
I agree that the divine nature is underivable, but you have just contradicted this by saying that there was a physical derivation. “Underived” life means a life not derived from any other being.
Divine life isn't sourced in the Father and Son's persons or bodies but in their nature: their individual possession of the original Godhead means that each has self-originated - "aseity" in theological speak - divine life, in their divine essence. No contradiction, just letting them each have the Godhead in their bodies.

Rosangela wrote
quote:
I think His divinity is based on His equality with God. He is co-equal with God. But if there is one aspect in which God and Christ aren’t equal – that is, in their eternity – then there is no equality.

Phil 2:6 as coupled with P&P ch.1 shows that equality was never an issue between them, though it is from our point of view, and was from Lucifer's standpoint! The Godhead they shared side by side made them both God in attitude first and in action as well: co-equality was in their possession of diety and their holy attitude, as well as the authority and creatorship which came with it. Co-equality isn't the linch-pin of Jesus' divinity: that he possesses all the fulness of the Godhead bodily (aside from manifesting it) is what makes the Son of God God alongside his Father.

Heb 1:1-5&6 don't make sense as happening only after Jesus' ascension: the angels worshipped him before his death on the cross, while he was on earth. v.3b-5 do not follow as the same event after the Ascension: v.4&5 establish the Son's diety as P&P chapter 1 explains it happening before Lucifer rebelled. That Sonship was confirmed by his resurrection and reinvestiture in heaven with all power and authority, yes, but EGW is crystal clear that v.4 happened in the eons of the past, and not post-Calvary: the Son of God inherited God's name!!! In Hebrews it is stated poetically in contrast to the angels, but it was not 'historical', like after Christ's ascension.

What can she mean in 8T 268 with "All the counsels of God are opened to His Son", except that Lucifer was excluded while God's Son was exclusively included. The amount of statements by Sister White that I have read supporting Christ's pre-existent begotten Sonship is convincing, not just persuasive, and those statements go beyond 1898 and the Desire of Ages.

Back to the topic, though: the few Adventists who don't believe the Holy Spirit has a divine personality aren't on this forum, I don't think.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 04:13 PM

Dear Colin:
Thank you for setting me straight in regard to 2 Peter 1:4.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 04:21 PM

Today's question is: "How did Jesus refer to the Spirit?" John 15:26; 16:13, 14.
I believe the answer is: as his agent or representative NOT as his God or as "God the Holy Spirit". Is there any scripture to show that Jesus worshiped the "Spirit of truth which proceedeth from the Father" as his God separate and distinct from his Father as a person as the only true God?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 06:22 PM

quote:
Granted the Greek speaks of character, but SOP includes appearance in that express image. In fact she says that they are so alike as to be little short of identical.
Colin,

I would appreciate if you quoted the text when you make some reference to what Ellen White said. I don’t believe similarity of appearance is included here, since Jesus said when He was on earth, “He who has seen me has seen the Father”. However, even if it were included, this doesn’t mean there must be a physical derivation; twins are identical, however one is not derived from the other.

quote:
Divine life isn't sourced in the Father and Son's persons or bodies but in their nature: their individual possession of the original Godhead means that each has self-originated - "aseity" in theological speak - divine life, in their divine essence.
Colin, if Ellen White had used the term “divine life” you might still have a point, but she used the term “underived” life, and a being who is originated by another being cannot have underived life, no matter how you slice it.

quote:
co-equality was in their possession of diety and their holy attitude, as well as the authority and creatorship which came with it.
A literal begetting implies a difference in hierarchy and authority which prevents equality.
The Bible is clear that the Son of God, like Melchizedek, has “no beginning of days”. How could He have been literally begotten?

quote:
Heb 1:1-5&6 don't make sense as happening only after Jesus' ascension: the angels worshipped him before his death on the cross, while he was on earth. v.3b-5 do not follow as the same event after the Ascension: v.4&5 establish the Son's diety as P&P chapter 1 explains it happening before Lucifer rebelled. That Sonship was confirmed by his resurrection and reinvestiture in heaven with all power and authority, yes, but EGW is crystal clear that v.4 happened in the eons of the past, and not post-Calvary: the Son of God inherited God's name!!! In Hebrews it is stated poetically in contrast to the angels, but it was not 'historical', like after Christ's ascension.
PP chapter 1 and Hebrews 1 are two different contexts.

As to the verb “to inherit” and the word “inheritance”, they do not always carry a literal meaning, but are often figurative (see Ex. 34:9, Ps. 16:5, etc). The Greek verb is kleronomeo.

Thayer’s definition:
1) to receive a lot, receive by lot
1a) especially to receive a part of an inheritance, receive as an inheritance, obtain by right of inheritance
1b) to be an heir, to inherit
2) to receive the portion assigned to one, receive an allotted portion, receive as one’s own or as a possession
3) to become partaker of, to obtain.

That the context of Hebrews 1 refers to Christ’s enthronement after His work of redemption is clear:

“But of the Son he says, ‘Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever, the righteous scepter is the scepter of thy kingdom’” (v. 8).

“But to what angel has he ever said, ‘Sit at my right hand, till I make thy enemies a stool for thy feet’?” (v. 13).

Verse 4 continues the thought of v.3: “When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has obtained is more excellent than theirs.” (RSV)

And since the context of Hebrews 1 is Christ’s enthronement, the name which Christ obtained is that one mentioned again in Phil. 2:8-11:

“And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

As to the text Tom quoted, Harner’s personal opinion as to how the verse should be translated is this: "Perhaps the clause could be translated, ‘the Word had the same nature as God.’ This would be one way of representing John's thought, which is, as I understand it, that ho logos, no less than ho theos, had the nature of theos."

A good study, presenting a rather complete grammatical analysis can be found here:
http://www.forananswer.org/John/Jn1_1.htm

Although most grammarians today agree that theos in John 1:1c is most likely qualitative, they also agree that the word “divine” wouldn’t express correctly what John means. It is important to note that even those scholars who maintain that theos is definite nevertheless argue that the significance of John's words are virtually identical with those who argue for a qualitative nuance, that is, that John’s meaning is that Jesus is God in the same sense that the Father is, and in every sense that the Father is.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/31/06 07:33 AM

quote:
John’s meaning is that Jesus is God in the same sense that the Father is, and in every sense that the Father is.
Yes, this is the sense I get. But while Jesus is God in the same sense the Father is, and in every sense the Father is, Jesus is not the Father; that is, they are separate individuals. So John wrote the his sentence to make this clear (that while Jesus was God in a qualitative sense, He was not God, as in a different mode of God, for example).

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 10:27 PM

Rosangela posted
quote:
quote:
Divine life isn't sourced in the Father and Son's persons or bodies but in their nature: their individual possession of the original Godhead means that each has self-originated - "aseity" in theological speak - divine life, in their divine essence.
Colin, if Ellen White had used the term “divine life” you might still have a point, but she used the term “underived” life, and a being who is originated by another being cannot have underived life, no matter how you slice it.
You're enforcing a stalemate, here, which isn't surprising: even with a personal, family relationship (mine and our church pioneers' position), their nature is one and the same, and that nature, the Godhead, has its own, underived life. Divine life is underived life. You clearly appear not to agree that divine nature is distinguishable from the divine person's body for the Father and his Son? - the Spirit having personality but no body.

quote:
quote:
co-equality was in their possession of diety and their holy attitude, as well as the authority and creatorship which came with it.
A literal begetting implies a difference in hierarchy and authority which prevents equality.
The Bible is clear that the Son of God, like Melchizedek, has “no beginning of days”. How could He have been literally begotten?

That's what John's Gospel states to be the case, and an understanding passed on from John to his own disciples. Your premise which prevents equality is false, since Phil 2:6 combines also with P&P ch.1, in that that text can apply to Christ's incarnated life because it was true in his pre-existence.

You agree that Phil 2:6 expresses a total lack of contention over equality between Jesus and his Father? This is confirmed in P&P as the case before sin entered the universe and to have been the case before creation, while EGW wrote consistently of a family relationship.

The fact that those links to the GC BRI exist as documents indicates this is well nigh an unresolvable clash today, just like the debate on the human nature of Christ: revealing that the Devil has engineered uncertainty, that is contention, on all aspects of Christ's person & work - but no surprise.

The gospels are clear that the Messiah is actually divine on the basis of his Sonship with God: that cannot be an incarnated status without the Son's pre-existence establishing the relationship and position, so that he has authority on earth which he obtained in heaven from his Father. Still, our opposing views on Heb 1 - which you don't see any application for in eternity past - for example leave this discussion unresolved, except for wherever that winning argument is; sad because we used to be united as a church on this point, until between the wars.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/30/06 11:04 PM

Dr Glenn posted
quote:
Today's question is: "How did Jesus refer to the Spirit?" John 15:26; 16:13, 14.
I believe the answer is: as his agent or representative NOT as his God or as "God the Holy Spirit". Is there any scripture to show that Jesus worshiped the "Spirit of truth which proceedeth from the Father" as his God separate and distinct from his Father as a person as the only true God?

Yes, as his agent, etc. Likewise is there any scripture to show that we are to worship the Spirit of truth?? It is clear that for Jesus God is his Father as much as it's clear that the Spirit glorifies Father and Son, dealing with us with spiritual discretion. Even so, Jesus didn't worship his Father - but intimately identified himself with him as the divine Son. Of course we are to...worship both.

The Spirit's personality is spiritually representing Father and Son personally to us and in us, and is the Spirit in all the fulness of the Godhead to start with. "Only true God"? The Father is called such by Jesus himself, but Jesus and their Spirit have the Godhead, too; yet, we are to worship Father and Son, but there's no command in Scripture to worship the Spirit, that I know of. Submission to the Spirit is submission to Jesus through his Spirit: we don't even pray to the Spirit but to the Father for his Spirit. The Spirit is the communication facilitator between Jesus and us as well as harmonising him with his Father, being the Spirit - between them - of the Godhead, which they have bodily.
Posted By: D R

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/31/06 04:51 AM

even in our missguided and missundertood way, GOD forgives our ignorance and Salvation is a gift available for each of us throughthe sacrifice of the Son. Thank you Father God for sending the Comforter (the Spirit)! Shalom/Peace be with us all. amen

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/31/06 03:51 PM

Colin,

quote:
Divine life is underived life.
Life is life, either in God or in any of His creatures. There is no difference as to the principle of life itself. The difference is, exactly, in the fact that God derived His life from no one, while all the other beings derived and continue to derive their life from Him. So, in God life is underived; in all the other beings, it is derived.

quote:
That's what John's Gospel states to be the case
John really refers to Jesus as monogenes. Even if monogenes means “only begotten”, does this have to be taken literally? Hebrews says that Abraham "offered up his only begotten son" (Heb. 11: 17). Saying that Isaac was literally Abraham’s only-begotten son makes no sense because this is not true, but saying that Isaac was extremely dear and special to Abraham does make sense.

quote:
You agree that Phil 2:6 expresses a total lack of contention over equality between Jesus and his Father? This is confirmed in P&P as the case before sin entered the universe and to have been the case before creation, while EGW wrote consistently of a family relationship.
Of course no one in the Godhead would contend for equality, but equality is important for us, because worshiping a lesser god and a higher God would make of us pagan bitheists, not Christian monotheists.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 03/31/06 05:43 PM

quote:
Colin,

quote:
That's what John's Gospel states to be the case
John really refers to Jesus as monogenes. Even if monogenes means “only begotten”, does this have to be taken literally? Hebrews says that Abraham "offered up his only begotten son" (Heb. 11: 17). Saying that Isaac was literally Abraham’s only-begotten son makes no sense because this is not true, but saying that Isaac was extremely dear and special to Abraham does make sense.
Oh, each usage of 'monogenes' has its meaning according to context: it has a variety of meanings, too, and Abraham had two sons... God has only one begotten Son, though, as revealed in Scripture, so until the 20th century, the understanding and interpretation has been a family relationship between God and his Son, Bethlehem providing a new sense of Sonship, as MM has just posted on the trinity thread.

What I was referring to is all the mentions in John's Gospel of Jesus' Sonship and his Sonship as his divine status. He is God because he is God's Son, is the basic point.

quote:
quote:
Of course no one in the Godhead would contend for equality, but equality is important for us, because worshiping a lesser god and a higher God would make of us pagan bitheists, not Christian monotheists.
There are indeed many people and even churches who believe Jesus to be a lesser God by being begotten, but both trinitarian and non-trinitarian Adventists that I'm aware of agree with this text that there is no question or doubt with God about Jesus and his Father both being God, nor among us.

Equally there is no general reservation about the Spirit's divine personality except among a select few Adventists. His personality is only as Jesus' Spirit, ie. agency and representative: as God's creative power it is God's spiritual omnipresence of power: with us he is the Spirit of Jesus dealing with us individually according to his discretion to lead us to the stature of the fulness of Christ, the mature Christian.

The only problem with this lesson study has been its support of the triune nature of God rather than three persons sharing the Godhead in different, natural ways.

[ March 31, 2006, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Colin ]
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/01/06 07:33 AM

Colin

I wonder, which do you rest your beliefs most upon, the bible or the SDA pioneers views (about the bible)?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/01/06 07:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by västergötland:
Colin

I wonder, which do you rest your beliefs most upon, the bible or the SDA pioneers views (about the bible)?

More on the Bible, thanks for asking, but the SDA pioneers' interpretation is better than our theologians' efforts today, so the pioneers get mentioned with the Bible. First the Bible, then our pioneers, then our current theologians.

You don't think our pioneers made more sense on the Bible truths than our theologians, today?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/01/06 09:44 AM

Dear Colin:
You stated "Jesus didn't worship his Father". What is worship? Jesus prayed to his Father. Jesus said that he had kept his Father's commandments (this included the fifth commandment - he honored his Father). He said that he had fellowship and unity with his Father. In Proverbs 8 it says that I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him.
So, what do you call worship?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/02/06 02:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Colin:
More on the Bible, thanks for asking, but the SDA pioneers' interpretation is better than our theologians' efforts today, so the pioneers get mentioned with the Bible. First the Bible, then our pioneers, then our current theologians.

You don't think our pioneers made more sense on the Bible truths than our theologians, today?

I think, who cares what the pioneers thought until we know what the bible teaches.
The main use of external sources as far as I am conserned is background information (like the different meanings a word in hebrew can have or the importance of fig trees in first century israel) which there is no obvious reason they would have a better understanding of than modern theologians do.

The secould use of external sources is the sermons of great preachers who had the gift of teaching, showing how things may be put together.

The least use of external sources is the one that appears to be alarmingly popular, which in caricature goes something like this "SoAndSo said verse 12 of chapter 1 of book ____ means this and person 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 agree with person SoAndSo, therefore person XY must understand it in that way aswell for person XY to qualify in my checklist of what a Christian/SDA/FillInTheBlank is.

How could I make this clearer, I could say that I find reading the bible with the extrabiblical SoAndSo's thughts as glases to be lousy exegesis.

/Thomas
Posted By: Will

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/02/06 07:01 AM

Thomas,
We are always told to use the Bible. The pioneers did the same thing, and even though some had differeing views such as Uriah Smith in stating that one of the trumpets was about Islam, or the Ottoman empire or something along those lines was incorrect.
I enjoy reading what the pioneers wrote, and thought, but always use the Bible or the backup.
The great things and not so great things of the Bible are backed up archeologically, and historocally. I am not sure if every single instance is, but we know about Babylon being in Iraq, and this same babylon is mentioned in the Bible, Cyrus was prohpesied about over 150years prior to him conquering Babylon, and the fall of babylon as well as Cyrus e written about on an object called a "Cone" its a clay cone, and is held at a museum, so sometimes external sources are not all that bad. Depending on the source I suppose, but its our job to search for Bible truths regardless of who our favorite author was and is. I hope this will give yo uinspriation to search as well, you know digging for gold isn't easy and requires alot of work, and sometimes disappointements as well, but the end result is wonderful [Smile]
God Bless,
Will

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/02/06 01:04 PM

Will

Maybe you could reread what I wrote about the main and secound usefull uses of external sources.

/Thomas

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/02/06 03:30 PM

Thomas originally replied to me with
quote:
I think, who cares what the pioneers thought until we know what the bible teaches.
Bearing in mind the 3 uses of external sources you mention - where the first 2 combine as worthy insights, the understanding one has of the Bible teaching can be challenged by one's church's publications of the day. Does one agree with our current theologians when one's first understanding of the Bible is an opposite view? One doesn't resort to the pioneers' writings to find truth so much as to find an Adventist literally agreement with one's view.

But then the SOP has its own Biblical authority - yes, not its own authority, but Biblical authority, while our other writers of that time agree with her from their own & joint Bible studies. So "truth" is one's individual conviction of Bible teachings backed up by a collective conviction among one's brethern in the church. Do our founders have less weight on doctrine than those among us who have studied various churches' and linguistic viewpoints to hold their academic qualifications and posts? It is indeed a serious question: whose view of God and salvation is the right one. I hope my position is clear.

Yes, the pioneer writings both help to inform our convictions of truth but more often merely confirm our understanding. Because our published theologians differ with our pioneers on several points, there is the perceived 3rd use of external sources (as listed by you): Are our pioneers' positions actually more importance than our theologians teachings today? A collective voice in harmony with the SOP is a strong voice, but that isn't how everyone thinks.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/02/06 05:05 PM

To me the problem is not pioneers x modern theologians, but pioneers x Bible (and, in the second place, the SOP).

Acts 17:11 Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with all eagerness, examining the scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Light is progressive. Some of the pioneers' views had to be given up (like, for instance, the shut door).

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/02/06 05:34 PM

I led out in the Sabbath School class discussion in the Fredericton SDA Church on this lesson study.

One person was wrestling with the word person in connection with the Holy Spirit.

How do we define what a person is?

Must a person consist of flesh and blood and bones as we do in order to be called a person?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/02/06 05:35 PM

quote:
To me the problem is not pioneers x modern theologians, but pioneers x Bible (and, in the second place, the SOP).

Acts 17:11 Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with all eagerness, examining the scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Light is progressive. Some of the pioneers' views had to be given up (like, for instance, the shut door).

For all the infamous history of the shut door teaching, it's the simple question of 'how' probation closes - at the beginning of the antitypical day of atonement (as per the 'typical' day's service) or at its end.

Is today's teaching on the sanctuary truth better than the pioneers' view, while we've adopted a range of possible options on other issues - all of which options are said to be allowed. There appears to be a actual philosophical difference, and the earlier reading has a deeper, more thorough spiritual lesson than the newer reading.

Is this actually going off topic...? Only halfway, I think, to be fair. See how it goes.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/02/06 05:45 PM

As far as the Holy Spirit being God in the same sense that the Father is God and Jesus Christ, the Son, is God, this reformatted quote from Monday's study makes sense to me:

quote:

Attributes of the Holy Spirit include truth (John 16:13), life (Rom. 8:2), and omnipotence (1 Cor 2:10, 11)—attributes associated with divinity.

Jesus, in Matthew 12:31, 32, says blasphemy spoken against Him can be forgiven but not blasphemy spoken against the Holy Spirit, a concept that doesn't make much sense if the Holy Spirit is anything less than God.[/b]

Matthew 1:20, where Jesus is conceived in the womb of Mary through the Holy Spirit, is also a difficult text to understand if the Holy Spirit were not truly God. (See also Gen. 1:2.)

We really need to keep the role functions of them in mind when we look at each of them. Doing that answers questions that would otherwise not be answered.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/02/06 08:58 PM

Two points about understanding the Holy Spirit where made during the discussion in church.
First, that the descriptions we have is humans trying to explain what is inexplaineble in human languages. "Spirit" is the word used becourse our languages have no other word that would better describe it.
Secoundly that we must be open to the questions becourse if we shy away from hard questions youth and other groups around church will shy away from us. (This was in response to several persons who asked why we where discussing these questions at all)

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT - 04/04/06 05:18 AM

General question to all:
The trinity doctrine teaches that each of the members of the trinity are equal and each one has all the attributes of the other members otherwise they each would not be fully God. But then when some people are shown that either the Son or the Holy Spirit does not have one of the attributes of the Father, then it is claimed that this member really does have the attribute but is simply playing a role in the plan of salvation. What is the difference between an "having an attribute" and "playing a role in salvation"? How do we really know when one of the members is playing a role like an actor in a theatre drama? In regard to the Holy Spirit, he does not have the attribute to forgive sins or does he? We know that the Father can forgive sins and that the Son was given authority to forgive sins. I find no Bible evidence that the Holy Spirit as the third person of the godhead can forgive sins. If he could then there would be no need for Christ as our mediator? Right? Do we not use the Father as the standard to determine whether the other members are fully God?

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity o - 04/04/06 05:28 AM

Quote:

We really need to keep the role functions of them in mind when we look at each of them. Doing that answers questions that would otherwise not be answered.

There certainly are appreciable roles, and they complement each other, but those roles may not preclude the roles themselves being natural as opposed to voluntary. Natural as in the Holy Spirit is God's Spirit come in Jesus' name to lead us into all truth, including what the disciples weren't ready to hear, rather than the Holy Spirit picking that role rather than picking the 'Saviour-role' which the Son picked instead, but which the Father could have chosen. Equally, the very titles Father, Son and Holy Spirit are natural titles, or are they also chosen titles?

The teaching from our scholars is that the trinity has no personal links and that their very titles are chosen and not literal - despite nearly 2000 of Christian understanding that they are literal - the Son begotten and the Spirit proceeding. Roles resulting from chosen titles should not be the final answer to who the Holy Spirit is, especially while the ordinary understanding of Biblical words is being rejected for unconvincing reasons.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity o - 04/04/06 05:49 AM

Quote:

Two points about understanding the Holy Spirit where made during the discussion in church.
First, that the descriptions we have is humans trying to explain what is inexplaineble in human languages. "Spirit" is the word used becourse our languages have no other word that would better describe it.
Secoundly that we must be open to the questions becourse if we shy away from hard questions youth and other groups around church will shy away from us. (This was in response to several persons who asked why we where discussing these questions at all)

God can't be so high above us that he would leave us with a misunderstanding about his nature and personality, given our finite understanding: trinitarian insistance on mystery is avoiding what is revealed!

Yes, we may not avoid the questions about identifying the Holy Spirit - we must equally avoid pandering to unholy spirits! Since Jesus prayed that we be one with him as he is one with his/our Father, the Holy Spirit does between us and Jesus what it does between Jesus and his Father...

He leads us to Jesus away from sinfulness, in the name of Jesus, being Jesus' Spirit, while supporting and facilitating the holy harmony between God and his Son, as their, divine Spirit. Is not the Spirit's personality Jesus' personal instructions to us through his Spirit, while between God and Jesus is there a personal function for the Spirit? - harmony has always been perfect between them, so the Spirit only has divine power to exercise in creation; otherwise the Spirit is an unknown within the Godhead.

To us the Spirit is the power of divine grace in the name and presence of Jesus with us, helping us participate in all the fulness of the Godhead by indwelling us: the Spirit creates divine unity among God's people just as God and his Son are one.

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity o - 04/04/06 09:34 AM

Quote:

In regard to the Holy Spirit, he does not have the attribute to forgive sins or does he? We know that the Father can forgive sins and that the Son was given authority to forgive sins. I find no Bible evidence that the Holy Spirit as the third person of the godhead can forgive sins.

Does a lack of information point to lack of information or to conclusive evidence that what has not been observed does not exist?
Quote:

If he could then there would be no need for Christ as our mediator? Right? Do we not use the Father as the standard to determine whether the other members are fully God?

Are you sure your not outwitting yourself here? 'If THS can forgive sins that would diminish the mediator role of Jesus'? Why do Jesus mediate between us and God Father since He could much more easily forgive us Himself right away?

/Thomas

Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the Holy Spirit - 05/17/06 03:27 AM

The Holy Spirit didn't become a human and die on the cross, neither did the Father, but the Son did, and made it possible for our sins to be forgiven.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church