3rd Quarter 2019

Posted By: Daryl

3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/01/19 09:33 PM

Here is the link to Lesson #1:

http://www.ssnet.org/lessons/19c/less01.html
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/17/19 09:45 PM

Why is the Sabbath school thread not of interest to anyone?

///

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/17/19 10:24 PM

Lesson 3 is all about the Sabbath:

http://www.ssnet.org/lessons/19c/less03.html

The title is "Sabbath: A Day of Freedom"

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/18/19 11:24 PM

What I meant was that threads about the lessons never seem to stir the interest of the members. A curious phenomenon given that SDA project themselves as delighting in all things pertaining to the Sabbath, including, one would suppose, a Bible study done for that day. Why then do all I hear is the cricket?

///
Posted By: kland

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/22/19 03:52 PM

Maybe you've missed some in the past.

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/22/19 08:55 PM

Commenting on last week's study: The Sabbath is a day of freedom in a similar manner that the Law, as in the Ten Commandments, is a law of liberty.

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/22/19 08:57 PM

This week's study is titled, "Mercy and Justice in Psalms and Proverbs"

http://www.ssnet.org/lessons/19c/less04.html

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/22/19 08:58 PM

Memory Text:

"Defend the poor and fatherless; do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy; free them from the hand of the wicked" (Psalm 82:3, 4, NKJV).

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/26/19 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Daryl
Commenting on last week's study: The Sabbath is a day of freedom in a similar manner that the Law, as in the Ten Commandments, is a law of liberty.

We are not going to be judged by the Ten Commandments, but by its moral opposite: the Law of Liberty, i.e. THE SCALES OF MERCY. To the extent that we forgive, we shall be forgiven, that we show compassion, it will be shown to us. It's called the Law of Liberty because the atonement provided by Christ has freed us from the condemnation we were under while we strove vainly to be perfect. We will not be judged by a standard of perfection but by something better, greater, something that promises hope and life anew to the extent that we do for others what we wish for ourselves.

As Paul cries out, "I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God -- through Jesus Christ our Lord!" Rom. 7:21-24

///
Posted By: dedication

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/26/19 09:04 PM

The law of sin -- are you calling God's Holy Law which Paul declares to just and holy -- the law of sin? I hope not.

Romans 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
- Romans 7:22-23?For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.?
Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? is the law sin? God forbid

The contrast is between the holy law of God AND ANOTHER LAW of sin that dwells in the flesh.

People experience conflicting desires?the desire to please God and the fleshly desire to sin
So do we get rid of God's law to escape those conflicting desires?

Paul emphatically declares " "God forbid!" The law points out what sin is. We won't know what sin is except for the law.

What God seeks to free us from is from the BONDAGE OF SIN. Sin is a very cruel and strong taskmaster and 6000 years of sin has left a lot of evil propensities in our human minds and hearts.

Freedom from sin?s bondage does not mean we will no longer have a battle with the carnal desires of the flesh before God glorifies us and gives us new bodies, . But because we have been justified in Christ?declared righteous in Him alone?we can walk in newness of life with Christ. We walk with Him on the path of sanctification . As we walk this road and the Holy Spirit conforms us to Christ, we live in the already and the not yet. Already the power of sin has been broken, the closer we walk with Christ the more we experience freedom from sins power, BUT that freedom is only in Christ, if we start walking apart from him, the law of the flesh immediately starts clamoring against the law of God which the Holy Spirit seeks to write in our minds and hearts, making it a delightful way to live.. Thus on earth we experience freedom' right now, but not fully yet. Sometimes we lose battles with the flesh. But in Christ Jesus our Lord, we will win the war (Rom. 7:14?25).

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/29/19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by James Peterson

We are not going to be judged by the Ten Commandments, but by its moral opposite: the Law of Liberty, i.e. THE SCALES OF MERCY. To the extent that we forgive, we shall be forgiven, that we show compassion, it will be shown to us. It's called the Law of Liberty because the atonement provided by Christ has freed us from the condemnation we were under while we strove vainly to be perfect. We will not be judged by a standard of perfection but by something better, greater, something that promises hope and life anew to the extent that we do for others what we wish for ourselves.

As Paul cries out, "I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God -- through Jesus Christ our Lord!" Rom. 7:21-24

///
Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more,
21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?
2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/29/19 04:44 PM

Then you must be practically the Messiah returned and walking among us horrible, horrible sinners!

"All hail, kland, THE Perfect Specimen! All hail!"

Be careful in the wielding of your gravel for according to the same judgment you mete out, you will surely be judged. Matthew 7:2

///

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/30/19 09:16 PM

I don't think any one is claiming that they have arrived, but rather that by God's grace and the work of the Holy Spirit we may grow more and more into the person God designed us to be
And yes,the ten commandments is the law of righteousness -- to think differently is to miss the deeper, fuller meaning in God's law.

Under the general heading of selfishness comes every other sin.
God's commandments show a life of unselfness.

The first commandment states -- worship the Lord Thy God and Him only serve! Selfishness, on the other hand worships self.. Here is the whole foundation of all the rest.
Selfishness will always look at others as being a means or objects to use in some way to profit self. All the relationships of a selfish person, with everyone, be it in worship or in interacting with others will all be motivated by what is best, most comfortable, most pleasurable, most advantageous for SELF.

A person who makes God first, last and everything, puts self on the lower seat. They start to see others through the eyes of Christ, Who gave up heavenly glory and suffered terrible because He put fallen, rebellious mankind above His own comfort and pleasure, and gave His life to save them.

Your accumulated benevolent deeds will NOT save you any more than rigorous Sabbath keeping will save anyone.

Both can be done from a purely selfish heart for self acclaim or reward or show
OR
they are the fruit of a life dedicated to God, trusting in Him and surrendering our selfish hearts and minds to Him to melt those selfish hearts and minds and fill us with love to God supreme and others as themselves.

1st commandment -- Place God on the throne of your life, worship Him, take self off the throne.
2nd commandment -- No idols. Self wants to put things, or people, or ambition ahead of God, but these end up also being self worship and block God from working in our lives.
3rd commandment -- Do you love Christ with all your heart? Taking His name (Christian) shows you are on His side. Living a life foreign to the ways of Christ, while taking His mane, is honoring self, and a reproach on Christ. Taking His name in vain.
4th commandment -- Love God -- you will spend the day as special time with Him.
5th commandment -- Love and honor your parents, and by extension the elderly. Do good for them, care for them, etc.
6th commandment -- Love others -- you will not harbor hate, bitterness, resentfulness against others, but have a forgiving spirit. Helping, not "killing.
7th commandment -- Love your spouse, be faithful, true, honest, loving. And yes, that requires forgiveness, understanding, and NOT seeking ones own pleasure outside the relationship. Marriage can be a powerful school to grow in unselfishness.
8th commandment -- Love others-- give to others, don't take their things away, respect their personal property and dignity. Stealing is selfishness. A person will not steal from someone they love, but give them whatever they can to meet their needs.
9th commandment -- love others -- speak truth in love, respect their reputation, speak words of encouragement, do not gossip or bear false reports of others.
10th commandment -- Love others -- this commandment is a foundational one against selfishness. -- coveting, envy, jealousy are all fruits of selfishness -- be happy for the success of others, rejoice with them, don't envy them, don't resent their good fortune, be content with your own lot, not selfishly wanting what others have.

If everyone, through the grace of God and the power of the Holy Spirit, lived by this law -- the world would be overflowing with love and happiness.
Posted By: APL

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/30/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by dedication
1st commandment -- Place God on the throne of your life, worship Him, take self off the throne.
Worship HIM or worship THEM? This is not a trivial question.

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/31/19 01:13 AM

"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." You were buried with Christ in baptism, and raised to newness of life. And the three great powers of heaven pledged themselves to co-operate with you in your efforts to live the new life in Christ. Then should we not praise him with every breath? {RH, June 15, 1905 par. 33}

"When they go down into the water, they pledge themselves in the presence of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost that they will henceforth be dead unto the world and its temptations, and that they will arise from the watery grave to walk in newness of life, even a life of obedience to God's requirements. Ms 80, 1903, p. 2. ("Whoso Offereth Praise Glorifieth God," August 1, 1903.)

"let us consecrate to Him all that we are, and all that we have, and then may we all unite to swell the songs,--
"Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise him, all creatures here below;
Praise him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost." {RH, January 4, 1881 par. 18}

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/31/19 01:32 AM

AMOS

Originally Posted by lesson
Read Amos 3:9-11; Amos 4:1-2; Amos 5:10-15; and Amos 8:4-6. What sins is he warning against?
While Amos is not diplomatic in his language and his warnings are those of doom, his message is seasoned with entreaties to turn back to their God. This will include a renewal of their sense of justice and care for the poor among them: ?But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!? (Amos 5:24, NIV). The last few verses of Amos? prophecy point to a future restoration for God?s people (see Amos 9:11-15): ?In their hour of deepest apostasy and greatest need, God?s message to them was one of forgiveness and hope?. ? Ellen G. White, Prophets and Kings, p. 283.

Sins mentioned
Omission -- don't do what is right, Committing robbery and violence, oppress the poor, crush the needy, live to please self, good food, fine houses, and fields, gained their wealth by exerting excessive taxes and oppression of the poor..

Amos 3
1 Hear this word that the Lord has spoken against you, O people of Israel, against the whole family that I brought up out of the land of Egypt:
2 I will punish you for all your iniquities.
3 ?Do two walk together,unless they have agreed to meet?

5:4 For thus says the Lord to the house of Israel: ?Seek me and live;"
5:14 Seek good, and not evil,that you may live; and so the Lord, the God of hosts, will be with you,as you have said.
15 Hate evil, and love good,and establish justice in the gate;it may be that the Lord, the God of hosts,will be gracious to the remnant of Joseph.

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/31/19 04:32 AM

Acts 3:13-15 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified his Son Jesus; whom you delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. (14) But you denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted to you; (15) And killed the Prince of life, whom God has raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

Who was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?
Who glorified His Son, Jesus?

God is a Being of infinite love and compassion. {4T 370.1} Being - SINGULAR.

Christ the Word, the Only Begotten of God, was one with the eternal Father,--one in nature, in character, and in purpose,--the only being in all the universe that could enter into all the counsels and purposes of God. By Christ the Father wrought in the creation of all heavenly beings. "By Him were all things created, that are in heaven, . . . whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers" (Colossians 1:16); and to Christ, equally with the Father, all heaven gave allegiance. {GC 493.1}

God is The Father, His Son is Jesus Christ.

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/31/19 05:58 AM

Is that part of the lesson for this week?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/31/19 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dedication
Is that part of the lesson for this week?
ABSOLUTELY!!!! The 1st commandment is to worship GOD, that is The Father. This is the same with the 3AM, you need to know WHO you worship, the True God. Edit: next weeks lesson...

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 07/31/19 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by kland

///
Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more,
21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?
2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?

If no one is perfect, then who can make it? Salvation therefore depends on GRACE, and if on grace then on the scales of mercy. "So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment." James 2:12-13

We have been set free from the condemnation of the Ten Commandments, being offered, as it were, a new lease on life by the Atonement of Christ on Calvary. We have been offered something far greater in the Law of Liberty, as Jesus advised us about how to pray saying: "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive others who trespass against us ... For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." Mat. 6:5-15

///

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/01/19 12:56 AM

Jesus is the only one who lived a perfect and sinless life on this earth, which is why He alone is able to remove our filthy garments (our unrighteousness) and replace them with His perfectly clean garments (His perfect righteousness).

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/01/19 12:45 PM

Jesus is the only one who lived a perfect and sinless life on this earth, which is why He alone is able to remove our filthy garments (our unrighteousness) and replace them with His perfectly clean garments (His perfect righteousness).

Is this not forgiveness? If somebody does you wrong but sincerely asks for forgiveness and you forgive them completely, haven't you replaced their wrong (the "filthy" way they appeared to you) with your good graces (into which they return)? And if God graciously forgives us, aren't we obligated to do the same to others?

As you can see, salvation is not about perfection but about mercy. We were already condemned from Adam down and no amount of pointing out any good deed qualifies us. As Jesus said that except we forgive, we shall not be forgiven.

///

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/09/19 04:32 PM

We should strive towards sin so we can be shown more mercy?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/09/19 06:56 PM

This week's study is on worship.

http://www.ssnet.org/lessons/19c/less06.html

What is true worship???

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/10/19 11:16 AM

True worship is not just something that happens during a religious ritual.

True worship is also about living a life that shares God?s concerns for the well-being of others and that seeks to lift up those who have been downtrodden and forgotten.

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/11/19 03:53 PM

I put you in the hands of Paul: "And why not say, 'Let us do evil that good may come'? -- as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just." Rom. 3:8

///

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/11/19 10:02 PM

From Adam Clarke Bible Commentary:

Romans 3:8

Apostle. And not rather, etc. - And why do you not say, seeing you assume this ground, that in all cases we should do wickedly, because God, by freely pardoning, can so glorify his own grace? This is a most impious sentiment, but it follows from your reasoning; it has, indeed, been most injuriously laid to the charge of us apostles, who preach the doctrine of free pardon, through faith, without the merit of works; but this is so manifest a perversion of the truth that a just punishment may be expected to fall on the propagators of such a slander.

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/12/19 04:44 PM

I put you in the hands of Paul: "And why not say, 'Let us do evil that good may come'? -- as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just." Rom. 3:8

///

What do you think Paul is saying there? Do you think he is suggesting that our goal is to NOT do evil?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/13/19 05:06 AM

From Adam Clarke Bible Commentary:

Romans 3:8

Apostle. And not rather, etc. - And why do you not say, seeing you assume this ground, that in all cases we should do wickedly, because God, by freely pardoning, can so glorify his own grace? This is a most impious sentiment, but it follows from your reasoning; it has, indeed, been most injuriously laid to the charge of us apostles, who preach the doctrine of free pardon, through faith, without the merit of works; but this is so manifest a perversion of the truth that a just punishment may be expected to fall on the propagators of such a slander.

true true

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/13/19 05:21 AM

///

What do you think Paul is saying there? Do you think he is suggesting that our goal is to NOT do evil?

I put you in the hands of Jesus Christ:

• Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven."

• Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made. The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, 'Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.' Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.

But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, 'Pay me what you owe!' So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.' And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt. So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done.

Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?' And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.

• So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.

--- Mat. 18:21-35

-------------------------------------------

It is VERY important to understand what Jesus is saying here since no one is perfect. And if no one is perfect then the ticket to heaven comes down to the mercy, forgiveness and grace we extend to others. To stress on the LAW is sheer hypocrisy, but to love, and love sincerely, will be your glory.

///

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/13/19 05:27 AM

True worship is not just something that happens during a religious ritual.

True worship is also about living a life that shares God?s concerns for the well-being of others and that seeks to lift up those who have been downtrodden and forgotten.

I think you mean, rather, that the effectual working out of wholeheartedly worshiping God is a life that shows genuine concern for the well-being of others .... But your point is taken.

///

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/13/19 02:10 PM

It is VERY important to understand what Jesus is saying here since no one is perfect. And if no one is perfect then the ticket to heaven comes down to the mercy, forgiveness and grace we extend to others. To stress on the LAW is sheer hypocrisy, but to love, and love sincerely, will be your glory.
Yes! We shouldn't stress on the LAW without regard to love, mercy, forgiveness, and grace.
But at the same time, should we stress NOT the law?
Does part of having love, mercy, forgiveness, and grace mean we EMBRACE the law?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/17/19 03:20 AM

Yes! We shouldn't stress on the LAW without regard to love, mercy, forgiveness, and grace.
But at the same time, should we stress NOT the law?
Does part of having love, mercy, forgiveness, and grace mean we EMBRACE the law?

Why would you EMBRACE something that seeks to put you down and see you die? Rather, reach for that which gives life: GRACE.

A good example was set by Job who, it was said, "would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of [his children]. For Job said, It may be that [they] have sinned and cursed God in their hearts. Thus Job did regularly." Job 1:5 In Job, a way was made for his children to live.

Think of it as being caught in the midst of a storm out at sea, clinging to a floating blank far away from any coast. You can swim to a shore, however long it takes you; but what if a boat came by and offered to take you home? Would you cry out that you can swim and swim you will? I think not!

As Peter urges us, "And above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins." 1 Pet. 4;8

///

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/19/19 03:55 PM

And it's back to:

///

Me thinks you are against honoring the Sabbath. Am I correct?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/27/19 07:13 PM

And it's back to:

///

Me thinks you are against honoring the Sabbath. Am I correct?

Which is more important: honoring a day or doing good every day?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 08/30/19 11:01 AM

Both are important, however, honouring a day that God has commanded us to honour over the other six days is obviously more important.

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/02/19 04:15 PM

Which is more important: honoring a day or doing good every day?

In what way dp you see giving a day honor as the same as doing good?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/02/19 11:34 PM

Both are important, however, honouring a day that God has commanded us to honour over the other six days is obviously more important.

Sabbath means rest. In Canada, all public servants are given two sabbaths every week. The fourth commandment, therefore, has been superseded, made negligible by the addition of another day. It is like whereas in some countries, there is a water shortage and the government rations the water supply saying 3 gallons per day; but in Canada, water flows, it just flows ... that law of 3 gallons per day is alien to us. We are better off than that.

Everyday is holy, at least it ought to be for those who are holy, but some days are holydays, i.e. commemorative of something. And therefore, one should take the time during the weekly sabbath(s) to reflect on God and His blessings just like Adam and Eve must have done on that first sabbath day.

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/03/19 03:05 PM

Interesting for you to say The fourth commandment, therefore, has been superseded. Is Canada able to supersede what God says?

Genesis 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

What do you think it means by God sanctifying the 7th day?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/03/19 03:12 PM

Interesting for you to say The fourth commandment, therefore, has been superseded. Is Canada able to supersede what God says?

Genesis 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

That is why I said, "Everyday is holy, at least it ought to be for those who are holy, but some days are holydays, i.e. commemorative of something. And therefore, one should take the time during the weekly sabbath(s) to reflect on God and His blessings just like Adam and Eve must have done on that first sabbath day."

Do you just read the first line of a post before jumping to conclusions?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/03/19 03:48 PM

"sabbath(s) "?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/03/19 11:03 PM

"sabbath(s) "?

God sanctified a great many days but Christians do not honour such days anymore (Passover, Pentecost, Day of Atonement, etc). There is no inherently holy 24-hour period, but commemorative days (holy days or holidays, i.e. set aside for a certain reason or cause). God blessed and sanctified the seventh day because in it He rested. That is why it is called a sabbath, i.e. rest.

In Canada, all public servants rest from work on TWO days of every week. Whether one, two or three days, the weekly sabbath(s) are based on that first day of rest God set aside as commemorative of His creation. He rested after working. We ought to keep those sabbath(s) holy with which He has blessed us and reflect in gratitude for what He has done for us.

REST FROM WORK but refrain from indulging the appetite for worldliness. We are not of the world but delight in heavenly things EVERY day of the week, and rest on the day(s) we are given rest.

This is the spirit and intent of the fourth commandment. See Deut. 5:15

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/04/19 02:28 PM

God sanctified a great many days but Christians do not honour such days anymore (Passover, Pentecost, Day of Atonement, etc).
Could you show where in the Bible God sanctified any of those days?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/10/19 04:57 PM

The Sabbath is the very heart and center of God's law. To take the Sabbath out of His law, is to take the heart out. The Sabbath is our special date with our Creator -- it's all about relationship, resting in Him, not in our own striving for livelihood and "to do'" lists, but leaving all that in His hands and resting in Him on the day HE blessed and set apart for this..

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/10/19 05:24 PM

This weeks lesson is very precious -- The hope -- the blessed hope -- the soon coming of our Lord and Savior when there will be no more tears, no more pain, no more sickness, or crying, or dying. Praise God for giving us this blessed hope!

Studying it the concept of
"now is, and is to come" got me contemplating --

What does it mean "now is" and yet it "is to come", signifying it isn't totally here yet.

John 5 deals with those thoughts.

The chapter begins with the healing of the paralytic.
A man - helpless, paralyzed, no real life just existing with very little hope.

That is all mankind's condition, we can't save ourselves, we are helpless and lost with no prospects of anything better unless --

Christ --

Christ reached out to the paralyzed man and raised him up to life and health. Now the man could walk and live and enjoy life!! Jesus tells him, "sin no more lest a worse thing come upon thee".

That man represents us -- who were dead in sin, unable to do anything about it, without hope until --
Christ reached out to us, and said, stand up and walk with me, I will heal you, I will give you life!

Those who stand up and walk with Christ have moved from death unto life!
This is NOW -- now is the day of salvation. Now we can have the assurance of eternal life, now, as we walk with HIM, we can have the assurance that Christ will present our names before the Father and the angels and cloth us in His robe of righteousness.
Now He has loosed the chains of sin, and bids us walk with Him in righteousness, His grace has redeemed us!

We can have all that blessed assurance and experience NOW -- it now is!

But -- back to the paralytic -- He was healed. But he had to continue in this earthly life with all its troubles, facing cruel remarks from the leaders, and after a few years he died -- something was NOT YET.

the hour is still coming when all that are in the graves will hear HIS voice and will come forth.. Those who have done good unto the resurrection of life, but those who continued in evil unto the resurrection of damnation.. (John 5:28-29),

That is yet to come --
And what a day that will be for all who responded to Christ's first call to stand up from their condition of paralyses in sin, and walk with Him. His power raises us up NOW to live for Him, and will raise us up to eternal life at His coming to live forever with Him.. Praise His Holy Name!

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/14/19 03:32 PM

From the lesson quarterly:
Originally Posted by 2019Q3L11
...at times [God] even taking revenge on their oppressors and enemies.
Can I hear an AMEN?

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/15/19 09:37 PM

AMEN

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/16/19 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by APL
From the lesson quarterly:
Originally Posted by 2019Q3L11
...at times [God] even taking revenge on their oppressors and enemies.
Can I hear an AMEN?

Yes, I was surprised to hear that from the lesson, but not really, considering the whole quarter.
Here's another gem I had in addition underlined and circled:
the promise of judgment is surely good news.

What does it mean to you to know that, one day, and in ways we can?t imagine, the justice that we so much long for now will finally come? How can we draw hope from this promise?
We can look forward to this "judgment", no doubt referring to the previous reference of revenge, with joy!

While suffering, oppression, and tragedy are hard enough to bear in their own right, the injury or insult is harder still if it appears to be meaningless or unnoticed. The possible meaninglessness of sorrow is heavier than its initial burden. A world without record or final justice is the ultimate in cruel absurdity.
But when injury and insult has meaning, then it's a lot easier to bear.
When bad things happen to bad people, we take comfort.

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/26/19 02:09 PM

God: Do good every day and honor the 7th day which I sanctified and blessed and specifically set aside as different from than the other days.

James Peterson: Just do the part about doing good and forget the day God said to remember He sanctified.

Hmmm.... Which should we go with....

Re: 3rd Quarter 2019 - 09/26/19 11:52 PM

God: Do good every day and honor the 7th day which I sanctified and blessed and specifically set aside as different from than the other days.

James Peterson: Just do the part about doing good and forget the day God said to remember He sanctified.

Hmmm.... Which should we go with....

God never said that.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church