Bird Feeder Watch

Posted By: Catherine

Bird Feeder Watch - 11/22/00 05:19 AM

What kinds of birds are visiting your feeders right now? Please share your sightings here.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 11/26/00 05:53 PM

Normally, I prefer to feed the birds year-round, but this summer I was forced by circumstances to quit. I finally got my feeders filled again Wednesday, then wondered how long it would take for the birds to discover them. Early Thursday morning, I saw a sparrow on the deck outside our bedroom French doors, and hurried to the bathroom to look out at the feeders. There were several juncos, and some sparrows, though it was too dark to tell what kind they were. Since we went to our daughter's house for Thanksgiving dinner, I was unable to stick around to see who else would show up, and Friday is always a very busy day, but I managed to sneak a peek now and then and discovered that most of my feathered friends have found their way back, even the pesky bluejay family.

So here is the list: black-capped chickadee, white-breasted nuthatch, chipping sparrow, tree sparrow, house sparrow, house finch, goldfinch, dark-eyed junco, red-bellied woodpecker, downy wooodpecker, hairy woodpecker, tufted titmouse, and bluejay. These are the usual winter birds we have. The only missing member is the cardinal, who I hope will come soon. My son says he also saw mourning doves yesterday morning, but I haven't seen them yet.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited November 26, 2000).]

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 12/06/00 05:45 PM

I finally saw the cardinal Sunday, though my son said he saw it last week. I also have now seen the mourning doves at the feeders.

This is the first time I have ever seen juncos eat in the feeder itself. Always before, they have only eaten on the ground underneath.

The blue jays tend to chase away all of the other birds while they eat, but the other day I discovered that they don't quite chase them all away. A blue jay was headed for the feeder, but when he saw the red-bellied woodpecker there, he swerved and went up into a tree instead. He waited a little while, but when the woodpecker stayed and continued to eat, he left without going near him. I wonder if he knows instinctively to leave Mr. Woodpecker alone, or has he discoverd by experience that his beak is long and sharp?!

------------------

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 12/09/00 10:10 PM

I don't recognize all the birds that I'm seeing at my feeder. Sparrows I know, but more than one kind. The cardinal pair come most every day, and he is fiesty. He will run off any sparrow who gets too close. She's more timid.

I think I saw some finches of some kind but not goldfinches. I know where they are. I used to feed them in Alabama all winter when we lived there.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited December 09, 2000).]

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 12/10/00 06:55 PM

Linda,

Why don't you check out the Patuxent Bird Identification Center's website, listed in the web sites thread. If you have a general idea of what kind of birds you are seeing, you can find photos to identify them.

------------------

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 12/11/00 08:40 PM

I checked out the site, and decided that I really can't drag the computer into the kitchen so I can identify birds. Therefore I took myself off to the library and checked out a couple of books. Now I can consult the book while looking at the birds. Maybe some family member will get me a bird book for Christmas I'm not going to count on it though.

------------------

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 12/12/00 04:20 PM

You're right Linda, especially when it comes to sparrows, the differences are so minute, you really have to have your field guide right there with you while you are looking at the birds.

------------------

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 01/07/01 04:44 AM

This morning we saw an Eastern Bluebird, though not at the feeders. It was in the lilac bush next to living room window on the opposite side of the house. It was actually the first time I have ever seen a bluebird, at least up close enough to identify it. It was not a very vivid blue, and almost seemed gray or brown, but it did not look like the duller-colored female in the bird book. It was definitely a male.

------------------

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 05/06/01 05:35 AM

The white-crowned sparrows are here, passing through on their way to their summer homes. We can expect them to remain for 2 or 3 weeks, and then they will move on.

Of course, all of the migrants are back home now, and the red-winged blackbirds, cowbirds, grackles and mourning doves have discovered the feeder. I expect that I will stop filling the feeders as soon as I run out of sunflower seed, even though I enjoy watching the birds there all year, because I can't afford these large birds' huge appetites.

------------------

Posted By: DrD

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 05/11/01 06:30 AM

CS

I am excited. I saw a bird today, and I don't even have a bird feeder!

I don't know what kind of bird it was, but it was kinda funny looking. It stood on the ground and kept turning its head back and forth. I don't know if it had water in its ears or not, but its motions were kinda like a kid does with water in his ears. Apparently it is not a vegetarian because pretty soon it was pulling on a worm, and then consumed it. It was kinda ugly colored on the top, brownish - grey with a dirty orange front. Can you give me any assistance what kinda bird I saw? I don't think it was a blue bird because it didn't have any blue on it. And the brown-grey color was not dark enough to be called black, so it probably was not a black bird. I wasn't big enough to eat, so it probably wasn't a pheasant. And I understand that hummingbirds are very small, so it was probably too big to be one of those.

Have a great day, and if you are lucky, maybe you can see one of those birds too!

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 07/22/01 10:44 PM

You will be amazed, I purchased a bird feeder. I will have to give up one meal a day to make up for the cost of the pole, feeder and feed. I can't believe how much of that feed those creatures eat.

Now, tell me again what you are supposed to do with the birds once you get them attracted.

Posted By: Zita

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 07/30/01 11:08 AM

Well, my birdfeeder didn't cost a thing.
I put a margarine container on the top rail of the 6tf fence that divides the neighbours. In front is the grapvine so it is secure.
The birds love the contents. They have eaten a 3/4 of a pottle in 2 days.
When empty I will fill it with their birdie-pie which they just love.

I have starlings, sparrows and wax-eyes visiting the feeder every day.
They are there 1st thing waiting for breakfast. I put out fresh every morning so the frost doesn't get it.

What do you do once you get them at the feeder?
You watch them enjoy.

This week there was also a photo in the paper of a 12 year old boy out in the country holding a granny-smith apple with a wax-eye sitting on it, and surrounded by other wax-eyes all eating apples.
It has been an exceptionaly cold winter this year and the birds are really feeling it too.

Wax-eyes are the size of a humming-bird.

Zita

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 07/30/01 05:09 PM

DrD,

I didn't see your post until today. I don't know why I missed it earlier.

Congratulations on your purchase of a bird feeder. Now you need to get yourself a good field guide. I recommend the Golden Guide to Field Identification of Birds of North America. There are other very good ones, maybe better than this one, but it is the one we've been using for years, and we have never failed to find any bird we've seen in it.

Once you have a field guide, then when you see a bird at your feeder that you do not know, you can look in your book and find out what it is. In this way, you will learn to recognize them whenever and wherever you happen to see them. Sometimes when I feel tired or stressed, I sit in my rocker next to the French door in our bedroom, and just watch the birds at my feeders. It's a good way to relax for awhile, and to me, a lot more interesting and enjoyable than television or other man-made amusements.

Be sure to tell us what kind of birds you are seeing at your feeder.

------------------

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 08/10/01 03:59 PM

I can't believe it! I spend a weeks earnings for a feeder, feed and a pole, and then I'm supposed to buy a book, install french doors, and sit around and identify a bird, and if I can't identify it, I look in a book for a picture of the bird I am watching through the french doors, so I can yell "there's a black winged, blue eyed northeastern pink throated wheat bird"! What about just buying a cat to see if the birds or the cat is smarter?

I guess I'd better go out and fill the feeder again, cause those ravenous little devils have about emptied that feeder again!!

Posted By: Zita

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 08/14/01 07:15 AM

Oh, great idea, as long as the cat has a bell round it's neck!

The only trouble with feeding the wild birds is the big birds come and scoff the food first and leave the little wax-eyes wondering where it all went!

Can be a very relaxing activity this bird-watching.

Don't forget to buy a pair of binnoculars too.
Have you heard of Geoff Moon? He is a brilliant photographer in nature.
So maybe you could add a camera to the list as well!

Have fun with your feeder DRD

Zita

Re: Bird Feeder Watch - 08/16/01 05:44 AM

How can anyone afford the hobby of bird feeding? Binoculars, and a camera too! I thought golf was expensive!

Why would you want to put a bell on the cat? Are birds so slow that they need an advantage in addition to flying?

You mean we also have to determine good birds and bad birds? I guess the big birds are the bad birds and the little birds are the good birds. Is that right?

Do birds from "down under" eat upside down?

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church