Hiking - NZ Style

Posted By: Zita

Hiking - NZ Style - 12/29/01 05:04 AM

Here are two very exciting links of two places I have always wanted to see.

Now I can do it with no effort - though there is nothing quite like the real thing!

www.nzine.co.nz/views/milford_track_new_zealand.html

www.nzine.co.nz/features/stewart_island2.html

If you go into www.nzine.co.nz
and search for anything New Zealand - birds etc you will find some great sites.
Happy hunting!

Posted By: mikk

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 01/05/02 11:40 AM

Thanks Zita, I really enjoyed those links. I have always wanted to do the Milford Sound walk. Maybe, someday??

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 01/05/02 11:56 AM

Mikk, call in and stay on your way through. I can give you a slide evening on Milford so you know what to look for!

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 01/28/02 11:25 AM

Today I celebrated having my cast removed from my broken wrist, by taking a hike in the bush. I was able to follow down the mountain bike tracks carefully to the floor of the valley, and then climb back up with the aid of a good stick.
It was wonderful to be back, listening to the birds, just 'being' there.
I noticed an improvement in my knee already, which has really suffered from the lack of climbing hills.
A long way to go yet with therapy, but it was a great start.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 04/08/02 11:32 AM

I have been exploring new tracks.

I noticed a sign put up by the Council warning walkers that the new Mountain Bike track was too strenous. Well, that was a challenge for me which I met Sunday morning. I made sure I was on it before the mountain bikers came roaring downhill.

It was no worse than anything I have down before, and the track took me past a 5 tiered waterfall.
I decided to take a shortcut across a valley via the sheep trails which I really enjoyed.

The trouble was when I reached the top the wind had not died down, but increased! It took me all my time to consentrate on staying on my feet.!

I thought that when I had dropped down half way the wind would drop too, but no, it stayed just as boistrous even on the floor of the valley. Most unusual, and very grateful for my Angel's protection in such a fierce wind.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 04/27/02 11:28 AM

One of my dogs was sick, so it gave me opportunity to go out on a track I hadn't been for a year. It takes you the length of the harbour on the lower track and back through the bushline. From what I remembered, I would do it in 3 hours.
I hadn't been on it an hour, when I fell, but seemingly unhurt, I picked myself up and carried on. All the while wondering why my boots felt too big and thinking they should have lasted longer than this.
My hike took me right up to the top where I turned back on the higher ridge. It was there that I realized the trip was a 4 hour one, and I had had no breakfast! and wouldn't get back to my car till 10am, all the while wondering why my boots felt too big!
I was able to take a short cut down the hill on sheeptracks and save myself 20 min. fortunately I had some water in the car which kept me going till I arrived home starving!

It was the next day that I discovered I had worn my old boots which are identical, only lost their grip, worn down at the heals and stretched.

It's not been a good week backwise as the result!
I doubt that I will ever make that mistake again!

The view of the harbour, the bird life on the way, the hike through the bush on the way back made it all worth while.
Peace and serenity fills my soul when I am up high.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 04/29/02 07:35 AM

On a recent friday morning, I took my 2 dogs to one of my very favourite hiking sites called Bowenvale.
In there are many hiking tracks, mountain bike tracks, bush or grass hillside opposite almost bereft of any trees.
Over 100 tracks inter linking with each other, the choices are almost endless.

Being one jump ahead in my preparations for Sabbath, I knew I could spend some extra time up in the bush, and so we headed for the cave where I have my morning devotions.
Leaving the car behind in the car park at the bottom we enjoyed the climb up through the bush, I knew exactly the tracks I was taking this day, as I wasn't taking a water bottle, using the water fountains that are up there.

Leaving the cave, and the beautiful bellbirds, I headed for the top, had my drink, then headed to the back of the park for the next drink, stopping to talk to the ranger about the newly crerated gardens around the visitors centre.

Having my 2nd drink, I headed down a mountain bike track which would eventually lead me to the carpark which was 2 mile away.
I came to a fork on the track and noticed on dog heading down, so called him back and carried on. Five min later I realized I had only one dog with me. I stopped and called, expecting him to appear, but all the calling and whistling in the world produced nothing! My heart sank.
As I had lost the 2 of them a couple of years ago, and it took me 3 hours to find them that time, I knew the devil was trying to spoil my friday plans. So I stood there and rebuked him.

But where to go? I realized he must have been ahead and gone down the track that I called Zac back from, so headed down there calling and whistling. No response, no sign of him.

There was nothing for it but to climb back up to the top and alert the Ranger.By this time I was feeling like breakfast and my energy levels were rapidly depleating!Searching for an hour, I finally headed down to the car, asking God to send my dog back to the car. Now this was 2 mile away, and hundreds of tracks that he could go on. Of course, my dogs know all the tracks like the back of their paw, but I still felt it was a tall order. But believing in the God of the impossible, I asked anyway.

As I crunched along the final drive to the carpark, used by the local farmer, doubts filled my mind that he would be there! So stupid of me to even expect him to be there! I would have to waste hours and petrol looking for him and the rest of my preparations would not happen.
It was just at that moment that Nebby appeared from behind the flax bush, having heard my footsteps on the gravel. He stopped and looked in total disbelief, as I did back to him!
"Is that really you mum" look on his face, while I exclaimed "You did it Lord, You did it"!!

Oh yea of little faith, why do you doubt????

He had found his way back to the car by himself?
I think not.
God takes care of our animals.

He got the biggest bone when we got home too!

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Zita ]

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 04/29/02 11:06 AM

Thanks Zita. Its good to be reminded that God looks after even our animals.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 05/01/02 06:44 AM

It is also good to know that you are definitely an outdoors person.

I need to spend more time outdoors myself.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 05/02/02 04:00 AM

My son is always telling me I was born in a tent!

I guess I like the door open for the fresh air, even 1st thing! also, it helps me t oescape outside quicker!
I would far rather be outside doing jobs than inside. fortunately I have a wonderful husband who doesn't mind accommodating my lifestyle.

When you come to think of it, when God went looking for Adam and Eve, he found them in the garden.

We wern't made to live in houses with central heating ( very necessary in colder countries). We were made for the garden!

I guess being brought up from a baby in Grandma's 1/2 acre garden, then moving to a country house for the first 11 years of my life well established my love for outdoors.My own prayerhut was in the bush as a child.

Now, it is the length and breadth of the Port Hills which span our city as a backdrop.

God is in the stillness of the morning.
Out in nature He waits for us to speak to Him.

My lesson this morning was stopping on the track up in the hills, taking time to say 'Be Still, my Soul' when suddenly a rabbit flees for it's life across my path.

I timely reminder that in the stillnes of our day, a storm can erupt when we least expect it.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 05/10/02 10:55 AM

Zita, I have a flower on my baby NZ Xmas bush! - pohutukawa by another name of course. I just have to share my delight with a New Zealander! I couldn't resist buying a couple of little plants a few months back and they are still only about 18 inches high. There has definitely been some special plant breeding done - I sure don't remember the NZ trees flowering like this when they are so tiny.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 05/11/02 12:30 PM

Oh, how very exciting!

It could be because they have been bred to be dwarf?

I am sure you are gong to really enjoy that flower. They are wonderful flowers in every way.

Happiness is knowing others are happy!

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 05/11/02 12:36 PM

I have been up the Rapaki Track of late, and on thursday, noticed across the gully on the next track 2 lookouts had been built since i was up there recently.

They look really exciting to go and visit, one has this really nice carved wooden seat on it.

There is no track leading up to the lookouts, you have to become a goat to climb up to them.

I noticed a new lookout on another track nearby, but no access, and wondered, so now I know it's ok to go up to it as long as I can climb like a billy goat!

So many new things are happening all the time on our tracks with upgrading, extensions etc.I never know what I am going to discover next, and with there being so many tracks it take a few weeks before I can get back, therefore I always enjoy the suprise of something new.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 09/29/02 12:36 PM

Because I 2 recent wrist breaks, I was scheduled for a bone density scan which I had done last week.
The result showed that my hips were way above average in density. My spine is a different story. the point is, all the hiking I have been doing has paid off for my hips.

Now that I am back on track, I have been going to Scot's Reserve, which is above an old quarry. It is not actually an official track with markers, but it is an area where rock climbers to to practice on the sheer cliff drops.
the view is spectuclar, looking right over the city to the Southern Alps, which are still covered in snow.

Bird life is very prolific and varied. Sheep graze right up under the cliffs, as there is usually lush grass there, being a sheltered place.

Recently the council put up 2 information boards on the bird/plant life, asking the climbers to be careful about the vegetation growing in the cliffs.

Three of the species grow nowhere else in the world.
There are the Banks Peninsula Hebe, Blue Tussock, and Hebe Strictissima

I have been 3 times now, and not made it to the top road yet, as it is a 2 hour hike each way, and I run out of time!

I am also going to contact the Council and ask them to make it an official track, which would cut down the time if it were made easier.

Been really great to get back out hiking again, and good to be able to type, and to be here again sharing my love of nature.

May you all be blessed in your part of a wonderful world.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 09/29/02 01:00 PM

This hike took place the morning before I broke my 2nd wrist.

4th August 2002.
Time 6.30am

The moment I opened my eyes, I knew where my hike for that day would take me. Captain Thomas Track.

To get there, I drive 20 minutes around the coastline,then head inland a short distance.

I knew that it was imperative that I go, and not somewhere else, as I realized there was something special for me there that day.

The drive along the shoreline was spectacular with a sunrise, the pinks and blue-greys all swirling into one another, with a hint of red where the sun would appear at it's appointed time.

There is a new extended enterance to Cpt thomas track, and I park the car and head up the hill with my 2 dogs. The air is still with expectancy, quiet except for the odd call of a bird.
Halfway up the track I stop and turn, facing the sea, just in time to se the sun rise up with it's brilliant glow of colour.

My heart sings. It can't help but sing in the stillness, the absolute peacefulness, the glorious colour of the sky. This brand new moment, of the brand new day.

Still, still with Three, when purple morning breaketh,
When the bird waketh, and the shadows flee.
Fairer than the morning, lovelier than daylight,
Dawns the sweet consciousness, I am with Thee.

Alone with Thee, amid the mystic shadows,
The solomn hush of nature newly born;
Alone with thee,in breathless adoration,
In the calm dew and freshenss of the morn.

The tempo changes.........

The chorus of At the Cross swiftly follows................

At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light,
And the burdens of my heart rolled away.
It was there by night, I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day.

The invitation chorus Into my Heart, concluded my audable worship, and a lone bellbird in the nearby pine tree sang the amen.

Moving off up the track, I noticed a worm struggling in the dust of the track. Scooping it up to safety, I was reminded of those in my church congregation who are struggling with health issues, and I breathed a prayer.

It was at this point I decided to climb the main sheep track above the track I was on, and in doing so noticed that there were many sheep trails leading off, yet they all seemed to meet up somehow at various points on the hillside.

Just like our church family. Everyone different, walking different paths, yet on Sabbath we all come to meet together to worship our Creator God.

The rock near the end of the valley is inviting, so I sit and drink in the scene. The sun is on the land and sea, the day begun.................
Sheep grazing quietly down the valley -
Everything beautiful, peaceful, one cannot but be uplifted, strengthened and ready to face a new week.

I continue back down the track, lost in thought, praying for friends, when I notice the dogs tails wagging. Someone is coming, as by now it is 9am.

Sure enough, as we rounded the corner, an over 50 walking group approaches.
Oh, I thought, my church congregation has come to join me!
It was as if the congregation were there to share in the beautiful blessing I had received. We exchanged greetings, and I felt as if it were the benediction on one of my more special trips.

Things were quite different the next morning when I took a walk down to the local park, slipped and fell................

But it was the memory of my worship on the side of the hill that kept me going, and many of my other early morning hikes that kept me going for the next few weeks.

Praise and worship, particularly ou tin the great outdoors is a way of life that is everything to me.

I think Paticence Strong sums it up very well in one of her poems.

If you stand very still in the heart of a wood
You will hear many wonderful things - the snap of a twig, the wind in the trees, and the whirr of invisible things.

If you stand very still in the turmoil of life, and you wait for the voice from within.
You'll be led down the quiet ways of wisdom and peace
in a mad world of chaos and din.

If you stand very still and hold onto your faith
You will get all the help that you ask.
You will draw from the silence the things that you need
Hope, courage, and strength for your task.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 05/20/03 12:27 PM

I have just discovered a really exciting site at http://travel.nzoom.com/
There are some lovely views and interesting write up on our many walks in New Zealand.

The box underneath the NZ Hiking one called Tramping Korean style is written by a young man my son grew up with here in Christchurch.You might like to check it out too.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 06/25/03 01:14 PM

With the recent full moon, it has been a delight to go out on the tracks before daylight and hike under a canopy of stars.
This morning was no exception despite the fact that the moon is now 1/4 - I could still see without a torch. The track I went on is called the farm track, and it is on the hill opposite Rapaki Track, one I mentioned above.
I noticed Zac kept stopping and laying down, odd behaviour, and I was hoping it wasn't his heart playing up as he is a little overweight from being fed straight dogroll while my wrists healed.

I kept on going as it was such a perfect morning, not a breath of wind, and the stars seemed almost within reach. We made it to the top ok, and the trip back down seemed to be easier on him.
When we got to the lookout, and I sat down for my Bible reading, I noticed again that Zac was restless, and I realized the problem. He had eaten some old sheep bones the morning before on another track, and was blown up with gas.
Another trip to the Vet that I didn't need!
However, Zac is his old self tonight, those little white pills work wonders!
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 06/25/03 04:50 PM

You may not be receiving any responses here to your last few posts, Zita, but I want you to know that I appreciate what you are posting here.

I would like others to share their hiking experiences in their part of the world.

As for me, I just bought myself a bicycle and rode to the store and back which took about 12 minutes each way. I didn't exactly enjoy the sites as I had hoped to considering I hadn't ridden a bicycle in almost 40 years. [Big Grin]

I did notice a butterfly flying by, and some horses off to the side grazing in the green grassy field on this warm summer day on this part of the world. I also noticed some birds flying around.

It was a good time of exercise which I hope to do almost daily or as often as possible.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 06/27/03 09:55 AM

Hi Daryl, what a pity we can't go for a bike ride together somewhere!
I have been trying to get out on mine again after 2 years of not being able to ride, so I know the feeling of enjoyment and being able to see wonderful things we would otherwise miss.
40 years is a long time, but they say it's never too late. Would love to introduce you to our wonderful mountainbike tracks too that take you through the pine forest.

Now that my hands are much improved, I will be able to share more hiking treats that I experience.
I would love for others to share too, for the great outdoors cannot be beaten.
Today my hike took me along the beach in a 10 deg frost. Needles to say, I didn't make it a long one. When you go up high, you rise above the freezing level, I was very thrilled when I discovered that one after years of walking in the freezing frosts.

This week I have been going up in the hills by moonlight.It was almost as if I could reach up and pluck the stars. When you see them so close, so in place you realize that God has you just where He wants you, in your place in this world and shining like stars.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 07/25/03 10:20 AM

Because it is Winter here my early morning hikes are taken either by the light of the moon or torchlight.

Recently I hiked up a popular hiking/mountainbike track by the light of the moon. It was a glorious site all the way to the top road, and then over to the next hill and up to the top.A glorious view of clear sky and moon till finally daylight comes the moon fades, and the sheep stir in the early morning sunlight that creeps over the hill, sending long fingers of warmth over the surrounding hillside.

In the stillness of the early morn, Lord, enlighten me as this new day dawns. I give thanks for the glorious sunrise, the freshness of the new day, and the opportunity to Worship You in it's absolute stillness.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 07/25/03 10:41 AM

Recently circumstances prevented me from my early torchlight hike, so I planned a trip at 1pm to the Bowenvale Valley, one of my favourite places to hike.

I arrived at the area that gave me 3 options. Straight up, to the left, or to the right. As I was deciding I noticed to people coming from the right.
The farmers cows had congregated at the gate, and last time I had gone through that way, they objected strongly to my 2 dogs, inspite of them bothbeing on leads, so I was heading off straight up the hill when the lady spoke to me asking me if I knew the area. I very quickly established that they were visitors from another town, and had come down from the top car park and wanting to return another way, having plenty of time on their hands.
I sent them up the left track showing them on their map where to go, but as I climbed up, realized the track was blocked with fallen pinetrees, and they would not know where to go, so waited for them to come, further directing them up the hill.
I was distracted with the dogs, and when I looked, they had disappeared. I realized that they had taken the wrong turn and gone into Hidden Valley. There are tracks there, but not officially marked ones and you really need to know the area to go on them. I hurried to catch them up, finally doing so as they rested halfway up the hill on the other side of Hidden Valley. I pointed out to them that there were no markers around, and that they must follow them to keep safe.
I then showed them a short cut up Hidden Valley to the track they should have been on, and kept an eye on them as I continued my climb up to the top, while they went on their way.
I let them know that I was not normally out hiking that hour of the day, and had been 'sent' to help them, which they expressed appreciation for.

I had planned in my mind the route I would take before I left home, yet the cows blocked my enterance, and I was able to help 2 lovely hikers keep safe in the hills. And I enjoyed the different route I took immensley, expecially as it was a beautiful sunny winter's day.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 11/22/03 07:37 AM

In my absense from here the last few weeks, I have become a Grandmother to Zara Mikalya, a beautiful daughter to our beloved daughter and son-in-law.

It was with great delight that I flew North for 3 weeks and not only enjoyed our grandaughter and family, but was able to step out the door and almost into bush walks. There were several all around the district, and what fun I had exploring them. The North Island bush is so different to the South Island, and as a North Islander, I was very much at home!
An hours drive away is the Waitakeri Rangers, an area of bush saved in the 20's by a farmer with foresight and determination that the magnificant Kauri trees would not circum to the chainsaw.

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend 4 hours exploring various tracks, observe the bird life, enjoy the stream singing and experience a very personal encounter with God. I saw no one for 3 of those hours,so it was real 'time out' that we all need at times in our life.

I am looking forward to a return trip next year to visit family and encounter more of the Waitakeri Ranges.
Posted By: Ikan

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 11/22/03 10:04 AM

Is that west of the Bay of Islands and south of Taheke,near the Waipoua Kauri Forest...or am I too far north?

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 11/23/03 07:34 AM

The Waitakeri Rangers is a one hour drive from central Auckland City, over near the west coast of the Island.
I haven't got a map to see exactly where you are asking about, I would say you are too far north though.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 11/23/03 09:05 AM

I see it now...it's about 40km west of the airport.

The Waitakere Ranges encloses the Auckland Centennial Park, I see.

I love kauri wood...brought a bit of it home to carve on.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 12/03/03 11:05 AM

Kauri wood is very popular here for carving the most beautiful pieces from. I have seen all sorts of things from seats to candle holders.
They were very popular in the 20th centuary for making the interior of a home from. Kauri banisters carved - spectacular - a beautiful ornate wood, which is why we lost a lot of our Kauri forests.
Kauri is also grown on the West Coast of the South Island, and a few years back logging was stopped by the government for fear of loosing these beautiful native trees. There were great protests from the West Coasters, but the trees are still there, and the Coasters have survived, no doubt making their living in something else.
Kauri trees grow tall and straight which is what makes them so popular to work with.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 03/27/04 06:56 AM

For the last 6 weeks I have been unable to go out on my favourite hiking trails due to injuring my right foot. I have not even been able to wear hiking boots or anything that laces up!

It's been very hard not to get out there in nature and drink in the freshness of the new day, the peace that God brings us or the specialness of the sunrise.

We must never take for granted the blessings God gives us daily.

As I made my rounds in the hospital this week, I came across a man with no legs.

My foot will heal, eventually, and I will return to the hills that surround our beautiful Garden City.

In the meantime, I am reflecting on the wonderful trips I have made, and biking round the block each morning!

On a not so painful morning this week, I drove the dogs up to the dog park on a hill and sat and enjoyed the view out to sea, the 2 hot air balloons over the city, and the glorious sunrise to another beautiful autumn day.

Our time would be well spent in blessing others, and praising our wonderful God.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 03/27/04 12:49 PM

Hi Zita!
Sorry to hear of your foot!
When we were in NZ we bought some Kauri wood blocks for carving, some bowls and platters turned on the lathe and even was given a tumbled hunk of Kauri gum, (that I consider amber as much as anything from Europe!), by an old couple who makes traditional Mauri greenstone (jade to you non-Kiwis) carvers.

Nature in NZ cannot be compared with the rest of the world....Glad He let us come to see it!

What is the name of that South Island giant cricket that gets frozen solid every night yet comes alive each morning???

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 03/30/04 11:45 AM

Thank you Ikan, I hope I can be back on track real soon too!

Here is the answer to your question.

Virtually all of New Zealands native insects are found nowherre else. The world's heaviest insect, the cricket like giant weta, some of which are about the size of a mouse, is quite harmless.

I have observed these weta's myself in the forest, but I have never had the desire to pick one up - even if they are harmless!!

The Tuatara, an ancient reptile with a lineage extendng back to the age of dinosaurs, is found only in New Zealand. There are no snakes or poisonous creatures except for the very rare coastal Katipo spider.

We are indeed blessed here in New Zealand with the most wonderful variety of different animals/birds/insects.

Recently I visited Te Papa in our Capital Wellington - a modern museum that displayed our wildlife in the most interesting natural way. It was a delight to visit and see our heritage.

Glad you could come and see...........

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 03/30/04 11:48 AM

For those who would like to learn about some of our walking tracks here in NZ try this site.

www.New-Zealand.com/outdoors.html

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 03/30/04 03:45 PM

Yes...the weta...that's it...My wife has a weta T-shirt that makes the Malay girls here scream and giggle...'Crazy white folks...wearing bugs!'

We love NZ! All our closest Kiwi Adventist friends live on North Island. Oddly South Island is almost identical in topography and weather to the Pacific North West, where we lived before the mission. So while there we skipped the South, sadly. That ferry is much too expensive!

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 10/02/04 06:37 AM

You are right Ikan, about the expensive ferry crossing. It is much cheaper to fly here!
I would dearly love to do the North Island by train, and relive old childhood memories, but the cost is more than double.

Having just flown over the North Island on a beautiful clear day, I noticed how much different it was to the south. Here we have a whole range of alps right down the centre of the island. I didn't realize before just how wide the alps are, so easy to find your way across through a pass, but up in the plane they go halfway across the island - and of course, this time of year covered in snow, so a spectacular sight!
Our Mt Cook is part of this scene.
However, flying over the North Island, with flat dense bush, there suddenly rises out of the forest Mount Egmont, best described as an upside down ice-cream cone. Again, covered in snow right down to the bushline, I couldn't take my eyes of off of it till it was gone from view.Spectacular is an understatement.

The area I stayed in in Auckland - our largest NZ city, was over the harbour bridge on the North Shore. Very pretty place,and lots of pockets of bush everywhere. Every stand of bush had walking tracks through them. Some only 10 min, others would be an hour each way.So many choices and new discoveries,connecting one with another, it was a delightful time.
When I go into the bush I have with me my pocket NT, an old scottish (thin) hymnbook, and a small ringbound notebook to record what I see, feel, and experience in my meditations.
Here is one I will share from the Sunset Road Reserve.
I am sitting amongst a nest of cut up logs, and area cleared of massive trees, alongside a stand of pungas. This bushwalk on Sunset Road is new to me, and so I am thinking of all the "new" things God has offered me in His word.
New name, New life, New heart, Renewed mind. As I observe the brokenness of once tall vibrant majestic trees, I notice tender young fern fronds, new life growing out of the maze of ugliness. The bush has been opened up to the sunlight. Lord, open up my heart today to the Son of Life. Surrounded by sin ( fallen dead logs) I too can walk in newness of life.
Psalm 144:9 I will sing a new song to you, O God....I will sing praises to you.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 10/02/04 06:51 AM

Having suffered from foot problems all year, mostly due to incompatent professionals, I was ffinally banned from the hills for 10 days till my knee recovered.
So I headed into the local pine forest, another love of mine. It's only a 10 min drive from my home, and the dogs love it there too.

My foot could still manage a 2 hour hike, so I set off for a part of the forest yet to be explored on foot. Been all through it on my mountain bike a couple of years ago, I enjoyed exploring new trails.
Once you get in the forest, you can't see the Alps or the Port Hills that I regularly hike on - it's blue sky and tree tops all the way.
So I was particularly away of the direction I was heading, and planned a full circle back to my car.
the 2 hours were about up, and my foot was letting me know I needed to get back, when I heard the sound of traffic - a sound I should not be hearing as the road I had parked on was a quiet street.
On investigating, I doscovered to my horror that I was the opposite end from where I expected to be. That meant another hour back to the car!
I turned into the forest stand, and coming out the other side, headed down a track, all the while wondering if I was going in the right direction!
I just said, Lord, send me an Angel to confirm I am on the right track! and 5 min later an elderly man appeared with his 4 dogs. In the middle of nowhere, on a sandy trail, I asked him if I was headed for Parklands. No, he replied, you are heading for the beach! Again the wrong way. I had just a couple of moments before passed a track to my right, but thought that would take me in the wrong direction, when in fact it was that trail that took me right back to my car.
I have since explored the area some more, and will continue to until I know that neck of the woods backwards!
For once, the dogs did not hang back getting into the car to go home!

God with us, every step of the way!

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 10/09/04 08:31 AM

I mentioned Milford Sound on the Bird Watches site,
and if you would like to see what the trail is like then click on here.
Go into Great Hikes, and then into brief view.
There is a slide show on the right of the page.

http://www.hikingnewzealand.com/

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 01/15/05 09:50 AM

I noticed an item on the news this last week, that they are still fighting to keep out so called progress from encroaching into the Waitakeri Ranges. It would be a tragedy if any part of that natural bush was felled for views by the rich few of our land. the lovely bush tracks are there for all to enjoy, and may it long happen as our forefathers envisaged.

Today is Sabbath, and I don't usually don hiking boots, on a Sabbath morning, but for good reason, today was an exception.
It was the 1st Sabath of Camp meeting, and due to the high noise level, I have been unable to attend Camp for several years, so I seek a quiet place to sit and meditate, write in my Spiritual journal, and praise God in nature.
So I headed for my favourite Sabbath place called Hidden Valley.Since a severe storem several years ago felled the pinetrees, it is not easy access, so I am not disturbed by anyone else coming along. However, as I pulled in to park, I noticed that the cars, people, mountain bikes were overflowing into the street, and I realized there must be a competition on. A loud speaker blared at the enterance, and I knew the place would be alive with noise and excitement, not exactly what I had in mind. I moved off to the next valley, where one can climb up through native bush and getting 'off track' through a wire fence and off into a dip in the hillside where lovely willow trees abound.
You can't even hear traffic noise. You are so private, no one would know you were there. Perfect place for worshipping God in His creation, surrounded by native birds. the bell bird tolled it's peel of welcome to worship, fantails flitted around, cicaders buzzed in the background, and birds called overhead.
Peace, absolute peace to hear God speak through His word and through the Holy Spirit. I record these special times in a special journal, forever etched on my mind, these encounters with God are my strength in this troubled world.
God, with us.
Posted By: Restin

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 01/15/05 05:51 PM

A beautiful post, Zita. On Travel Channel here in America, there is a long feature on the wilderness areas of new Zealand. Very educational and interesting, and beautiful. Much more extensive than I realized. My property borders the 7000 acre Wekiva State park in Florida, USA. My back pasture fence is same one as theirs. I go over the fence for nature walks and meditation. We also have black bear, deer, bobcat, raccoon, and fox that come on my land frequently. I've had some training in birding from my ex-pastor and family. Florida wilderness is different than the typical USA and I have a special bond to it. It is church for me. I enjoyed reading your description very much, Zita.
Posted By: Restin

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 01/15/05 06:17 PM

- Zita and Ikan, here is some of my carving in cedar of Pacific Coast Indian style. This is a Kwakiutle Huk Huk, or fantasy Sea Raven.I love this style of sculpture but have concerns about the religious connotations. As SDA, i wonder if this is okay, as some of these sculpture styles were idols to the tribes of Vancouver, British Columbia regions. do you think the spiritual meanings are an issue? It is just the admiration of creative, abstract/surreal designs that interest me personally. I don't know or study the religious/ancestral meanings that the indians see.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 01/22/05 08:29 AM

Lovely carvin and great talent to be able to do that quality of work.

I guess it is the same here with the Maori carvings. They are of their gods and have non christian meanings, and so as a christian I stay away from, or won't stand in front of.

When a Maori becomes an Adventist, they give up a lot of their traditions because of this involvement with other gods.
I guess you can only go with your own personal conviction.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 02/05/05 05:44 AM

Our annual church camp is held in January, and in recent years I have been unable to attend due to the excessive noise in the big tent, not compatable with me damaged ears.

I decided this year that I would go bush on both Sabbaths.
My first choice was Hidden Valley - a place I have used on other Sabbaths when the church was closed for a Regional - again too noisy for me.

I pulled up in my car at this popular hiking area into the hills, and wondered why there were so many cars parked! It didn't take long to discover that it was the annual mountain bike trials, and that there would be no peace - even in hidden valley! The place was crawling with people and bikes, not to mention the blaring of speakers.
I beat a hasty retreat to the next valley, where I knew I would practically have the place to myself, and so I did. Only met one young man with his bautiful black lab making an exit.
I climbed up through the bush to the pine trees, then off track up through the trees to the fenceline. I had been there once before and was heading for a certain willow tree in a small valley, but before I could get to it, I discovered a whole stand of willows - not the weeping kind, but shade, and we are talking 30 deg c, which is rather hot. I opted for the stand of trees, and chose with care which one I would sit under for me church service.
I took a hardcovered writing book, and recorded my time there which I will post separetly so as not to make this too long.
It sure beats coming home from church, head in a whirl, ears pounding and tramatized so I have to have lay activities after lunch in order to calm them down!
Hopefully things will improve for me in a fortnight when I have some day surgery done, and I can once again enjoy co-operate worship/fellowship, and not have to worry about escaping.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 02/05/05 06:15 AM

Sabbath, January `15th 2005
Dry Gorge Track.

Awesome morning - still , blue sky, heat, summer day!

I headed for Hidden Valley to spend Sabbath morning in my very special retreat. Arriving at Bowenvale, the place was crawling with M. Bikes and riders - competitions! Anything but a place to retreat!!

I retreat to the cool of the bush, the singing of the birds, the sounds of silence, beauty, for beauty doesn't shout. It doesn't make a scene, it doesn't display pride, it just is - as God created it.

I pass a young man and his purebred lab and I get to thinking about Zac, a lab x, and I get to thinking about sin. Zac, the lab potential to be a large dog is dwarfed in x.(x with a foxy!)
Isn't that what sin does to me? I am dwarfed in sin, I can't reach my potential this side of heaven. If I allow it, sin will reduce me to ashes.

I look around me from this rock I sit on. Pine trees of all descriptions, surround me. Some have reached their growth potential and are strong and straight.Others, have grown 3/4 and snapped off, tall straight trunk, but dead, it's growth gone with a mighty wind. Other trunks curve this way and that, swayed by a mighty wind.

Lord, straighten me, take out the kinks of sin in my character. Remove the flaws that enroach my heart. Make me pure withing. Inspired in this beautiful place I write in the power of the Holy Spirit. Reach me! Teach me!
I am heading for Willow Valley ( my personal name choice), my next special place in this retreat.

And here I am , in a stand of willows, beautiful shade on a very hot day. A whisper of breeze arrives as I write, seed heads nodding gently. sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me. Resting in Jesus, I'm safe evermore.

I read the words of a hymn that speaks of the fair hills of Galilee and askes "what glorious vision did you see?" Your flowery slopes and summits trod, and grew in grace with man and God.
Last verse - Mine be the path Thy feet have trod
Duty, and love to man and God.

I read Psalm 66 - Tried by Fire

It seems to me the refining process is life long as I look back over 60 plus years of personal struggle
against the tide of of family/church abuse and as a peacemake, I don't understand the misery we have to endure when hearts long for peace, for joy in worship and meeting together. For phone calls that never come that would encourage and uplift. Surely that would be my strength.

God knows I need to be driven to my knees, I need to fall on the Rock, weep tears of bitterness to reap tears of Joy.
A bellbird tolls over the hill, cicaders sing the Hallelujah Chorus.
All is well
God is Love
Peace reigns in the heart
Joy overflows as I rest in Him.

There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God
A place where all is joy and peace
Near to the heart of God.

Oh, Jesus
I am blest
You are my redeemer
You are sent from the heart of God
To minister to Your children
This is not a God forsaken world!

God is with us
in us
loving us
rescuing us - His precious own
every day, all day, as I allow.

God, doing what matters - through the pain, the rejection, the hate, the scorn, the sneer, hidden in the pretence of a kind word.

God reveals all, and all will be revealed
in His time, in His time.

Patience

God, give me patience and love to love those who hate me and set about to destroy me.
I pray this for all those affected in my church.
That we will be restored to our rightful place in Your church or wherever You want us to be working.

Don't be afraid, don't fret. Your personal trial, as painful as it may be, has been screened through God's wisdom and love. The refiner sits beside the crucible, tempering the flames, monitoring the process, waiting patiently until His face is morrored in the surface.

The fires of testing can produce a shining testimony.

Teach me Thy Way oh Lord - Amen

Fantails flit

Gentleness

Birds sing

Happiness

The dogs, my best friends, have waited quietly and patiently in this hour of Quiet rest, next to the heart of a Wonderful God!

I leave quietly..........I shall return to this very special place.

Re: Hiking - NZ Style - 05/27/05 11:11 AM

My foot finally came right when I went to the right podiatrist who knew exactly what I needed.

It was a very expensive lesson to learn, but I learned this: if you know in yourself the treatment is not right for you, then it isn't, and no point in allowing a professional to insist in continuing.
I wasted many months, many dollars, only to receive cronic pain.

Now I am back to hiking, discovering new trails in the making, and continuing to enjoy the hills that surround my city.
It's winter here, so the tracks can get very dicy, so I find the safe ones that allow me to continue the freedom of the hills.
When it is too wet, I use the footpaths, but hill climbing that way is not the same.
this week, I discovered cars broken into, neighbours stealing neighbours newspapers. One can't meditate the same when surrounded by those activities that bring disappointment and darkness.
For me, true freedom is to get away from all man made activities, and commune with God, undisturbed.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church