techno evangelist resources and tools

Posted By: Edward F Sutton

techno evangelist resources and tools - 12/31/00 01:31 PM

We are in the digital generation. That doesn't preclude the old fashioned resources, concepts, and tools, lets keep what needs keeping, upgrade what's needed and adapt tools and assist each other and use them joyfully . Thanks for your opencoded style ideas full of heart felt assistance and cheerful help, it is appreciated. I hope this thread mutually inspires.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 12/31/00 01:54 PM

This is a call for open code inclusion style sharing to use and create tools for soul winning.

Open code inclusion style sharing is simply discussing things openly and allowing anyone intrested to help adapt the tools and information for general & local use.

"Jason P & Karen of the CD" come on in Ya'll & lets start cooking. How could we invent a portable small video/audio player for CD's thats easily content managable (no Bible Studies rolling together before the presenter wants them to) and easy for anyone to manage and operate and afford and or locally build ?

Karen's thing with real player CD's has really got wheels turning & what I saw on Laymen Ministries International Video about India with their Video CD Players (different than USA format & handheld & easy to operate) has got wheels turning.

The goal, do it cheap as far as cost, upscale as far as quality and durability .

Be able to use currently available CD's to burn content on to at 30+ frames/second rate & easy quick hook to anyones TV/laptop/PC in their home/office and any Churches presentation system WITHOUT A LAPTOP. They would be too big, too expensive, too hard to use, too attractive, to steal, no local mass production capabilities.

Something reproducable in any part of the USA & Canada. We would share it with all the big ministries too so we could all "just get on with it".

If it was seen to be better to be copywritten/patented ETC we could grant exceptions to copywrites/patents or licences of use to such institutions and local SDA Churches & local SDA soulwinners. Keep it SDA but spread it everywhere within SDA evangelism work.

What do you think?

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited December 31, 2000).]

Posted By: mouse

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 12/31/00 09:56 PM

Sounds great, Ed!!!!

Count me in. I love all this techno, computer stuff. I even built my own computer from scratch!!... well using ready-made components of course. I don't go into doing plastic or metal fabrication

Using a search engine, such as AltaVista, do a search on PC 104 ... which is embedded systems components that can be used to put a complete OS on or just a CE OS ... might be something we can use.

I have a friend techie who I can ask for help with how to be able to run this thru the TV.
From what he has already said, it is quite complex. I'm sure the Lord can point us, though, in the right direction where it can be price -less... pun intended In other words, cheap!!

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/01/01 04:12 PM

How about we engineer from the finished product backward. 30+ frames/sec HDTV - DVD level quality video/audio output.

Time limit of 15-30 Min's Bible information segments in multimedia format per Bible lesson.

back lit large print fonts & icons simple hand controls on the unit plus full wireless control (non line of sight-low wattage transmition controls in micro transmission control mode.)

Micro transmission control mode would be(digital siginal not analog) in a home or church where you used the wireless control feature on a very low power setting so not to mess with FCC rules and the neighbours fridge. Would have between 50-300 feet of thin digital cable if desired due to need for shielding control siginal in a very electrified enviornment.

There would be a variable reostat signal modulator on both the control and broadcast siginal modes. From micro settings to maybe hit galexy 5 transponder or plug into a vhf/uhf - or short wave system or am/fm system and spam the airwaves or potentially communicate between workers at a distance.

This extra stuff might have to be in a backpack huh . Talk about loading up your nearest TV tower & Joe Crews-en um all on the spot. FCC phone cops johnny on the spot. Ouch.

Back to business:

File sizes per Bible study and through put of multi media content would determine the media to use. One Bible study per CD or one 5gig+ (or higher)DVD disk with several or all on it. Or an A/V hard drive built into a hot swapable kit from CDW or Megahaus or Dirt Cheap Drives, ECT.

1. So how about the first step in the discussion be broadcast quality, time limit per lesson, file size of lessons, number of lessons per one storage media (what ever type decided on).

I would like the Bible worker to be able to give a crisp clear distortion free 30+ frames/sec picture ranging from 4"x4" to 30'x30' for large audience viewing. This would not be a light box - projector type unit. It would hook up to a TV or monitor or projector via shielded wires with filters to keep the truckers off the video siginal.

An audio siginal running through the buildings sound system also, and cigarette pack size recivers with ear phones (we used those at Bearfork SDA Church in Mobile {Mow - beal} Alabama. They are commercially available. Don't know input signal needs AM, FM, ETC .

I may just be a newbie @ the technical stuff but the wheels turn. I'll go check out PC 104.

PS. If the A/V output siginal could imitate a VCR or DVD A/V output siginal, just hook the cables to a TV & you are in business .

What about the DVD player style insides in a different housing with the afore mentioned controls ?

Since this is going to go into secular technical discussions I think I will ask Daryl to create a Tech Tools Forum & put this in there. That way Evangelism Forum can still be used on Sabbath.

This will go under Evangelistic tech tools.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited January 01, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/01/01 11:41 PM

Wow, Ed!!

I'M IMPRESSED!!!

If you call yourself a techno newbie, then I must be a cave woman I didn't understand one-tenth of the terms you used.

Why would you want to put these studies onto DVD or CD disks?? Why not just run them straight from the hdd?? With a good ghosting program, I would think it would be less expensive to just copy everything from one hdd to another new one and stick it in the machine for each buyer.

However, I'm sure you are thinking of things I don't even know about... but this will be fun learning

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

[This message has been edited by karen (edited January 02, 2001).]

Posted By: Daryl

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/02/01 04:31 AM

He is over my head in all of this also. I am only a software user not a programmer.

than to receive. (Acts 20:35)

Daryl

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/02/01 09:55 AM

I am just postulating @ the upper limits of my blarney. I couldn't program out of a wet paper bag with an open loop.

How many folks could play a hotswappable hard drive built into a kit verses a DVD disk, if we simply copied it & handed it to them - or a CD done the same way with only one or two lessons full of slide show graphics and text on it ?

I am thinking of a bigger picture of techno evangelism "grassroots" or "gurilla" style outreach as well as one on one & cottage meetings via tech tools.

What about putting "Teasers" on a CD & giving it out wide spread (according to your resource base - "hip pocket bank or pocketbook bank/checkbook".

Teasers being things that grab attention to the Bible studies as well as repaginated SOP books or chapters used as teasers to build a client base for Bible study groups.

Building a local Church group of Techno Bible instructors & send them CD's or DVD's. Yes use the Materials on HDD but don't be limited to that. Plus research "squirting" the data to other online SDA's -where ever on the globe & network.

Karen for example - tryout Laymen Ministry International's website & think about the English & Non English language posibilities as well as local possabilities. A reverse squirt of Indian languages & graphics & data from Pastor shadrak & others to reach Indian nationals here in their own language.
http://www.lmn.org/ is their URL - tell them Ed Sutton from Zanesville refered you.

They are working in India, China, Nepal, Albania, Phillipines, here in USA & have worked in Russia & Baltic states.

What if once we get this developed we spread it among committed SDA english & multi language speaking young people globally. We can reach lots of SDA Churches & organizations online.

We need more dedicated SDA technical people in this thread to listen to what we want to do & help with the brain storming sessions & we better set directions for the technical ways of building our product & using it. I will ask Pastor Shadrak or some of his people from India to join us if I can locate him via online. Also Jason P & Cathy's son.

Bye for now my neurons are smoking.
Too much wheels turning & not enough coolant/lube.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited January 02, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/02/01 10:05 AM

Two or more formates sounds good
1. ghosted hard drive dedicated player.

2. American Format-CD(not invented yet-using CD's playable on all PC's).

3. DVD video players using standard DVD disks.

I wonder where LMN Int. buys their CD Video players & if that mfg. already sells them in NTSC format ? Germany maybe ?

Pick up a few copies & back issues of Videographer & same gendre magazines, might even be online. Check out Videography online & never trust my spelling it's phonetic. I ve never built, just read and sound good. however at the sleep lab we do use digital dedicated systems. If we could just get back to a Unix based OS on a small Novel Intranet or network.

speaking of that - could we use a Unix or Unix based OS for the players to minimize crashes ??????? I don't want to fumble with a "Dr Watson" in a crowed cottage meeting do you ?

Bye for now
------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/02/01 10:20 AM

Bro Ed!!

This is gonna blow your mind... I already know Jeff @ LMN... since '85!! I did alot of the computer input in the Albanian language of their boxcar of literature that eventually ended up in Albania. And no, I don't speak the language.

I digress.... (you are a GOOD example to me )

You are right... DVD's and CD's will be much better... lots more possibilities.

Are you wanting to build these machines from scratch -- component wise?? Design our own, based on what we want?? Or see if there is anything already that could be adapted??

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

[This message has been edited by karen (edited January 03, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/02/01 10:29 AM

Bro Ed,

Blarney???? You sure had me fooled

Linux would be a good system to use. I tried it a year ago, but there were not enough applications that I use ported to it yet for me to really get excited about it.

There are several small versions now that sound like they would be perfect for this project. However, my one complaint about Linux is the long time it takes to boot... about the same as Windows NT or longer... which is another reason I couldn't get excited about it. However, it is alot more stable.

But I just happen to know some Unix programmers who might be able to help us cut that boot-up time down some, or even re-write the whole thing to our specs.

And I can't stand that Dr Watson either, whoever he thinks he is

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/02/01 11:05 AM

"Are you wanting to build these machines from scratch -- component wise?? Design our own, based on what we want?? Or see if there is anything already that could be adapted?"

All of the above depending on which wheel is already there or not. If no reinvent fine, adapt fine, run with plug and play better but disapointing - no patentable inventions & no royalties to spend on the beaches Amway always promised and never delivered.

I almost always digress. It's more fun that way.

My mind would blow but has to wait for the fluid in my ears to move first, but then again mind what mind?????

If an American version or format exists - we try finding it & jump on it.

The Unix based possibilities your programmer friend might do would have to run current CD's & DVD's and whatever disk or HDD that our equipment used. I type with one finger so weird combos happen.

Stuff sounds good so far, I e-mailed Jason P & Cathy Sears & family to join us.

Keep adding to your forum bios. You infered about grandkids. None here yet, kids need married first. Joel is still married to his Semi & VW-Jedda & Suzanne is two quarters away from graduating x-ray school. Linda's taking on the local Church's Community Services among other things and on the board @ last shock shock .

Bye for now

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/02/01 11:45 AM

Reverse polarity on mind blowing time.

Karen I ran across your page on the internet months ago before I was you on TRO & where I book marked it to I forget ????

In Sleep lab talk reversing polarity makes the siginal display in the opposite direction.

Americal polarity = a negative frequency displays with negative wave going up & poaitive down.

European polarity reverses that. So in America a "K" comples (a brain wave siginal segment that denotes stage 2 sleep peaks going up.) In Paris it displays peaking down. A person scoring a digital psg(sleep record)would be lucky. Click a window button & change to local polarity. A paper record aka Stanford - older Grass Polygraph style would be outa luck. One burnt brain at the end of shift. I got registered after going through Stanford Summer Sleep Camp "86", stayed at Lamda Nu with it's "Captin Quelude forever" & Greathul Dead banners. They had a huge kitchen & walk in cooler/freezer however. Dr Dement (et al) was a gas.

(Sung to the tune of hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go)
Digress... digress oh yes - yes - yes - yes, I huff and puff it's awfully rough - digress digress......

Meanwhile back in the Forum Laboooratorrry.

European & American electronics are not always the same & neither are the current votages & cycles per second frequencies nor the ampage. I had forgotten to include that in the reverse engineering, major woops.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Posted By: Laurie Mosher

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/02/01 02:06 PM

AS Karen put it "WOW!
Just when I'm getting into knowing what "cyberspace" is all about, now we're talking "Buck Rogers" technology, and "Dick Tracey" stuff.

Daryl, you may have it right....this stuff is WAY over my head TOO!

BUT I AM INTERESTED! If you "guys" can figure out how to teach a "teachable person" who is technology dumb, go for it!

------------------
Keep "THE" faith, But TELL Others ,TOO!
Bro.Laurie

Posted By: Jason P

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/02/01 08:11 PM

I gotta admit, I dunno what you're talking about, but basically I understand this much.
You want the ability to produce cheap single component systems that will run a PC style (probably scsi) hard disk and either a cd or DVD player so as to perform bible studys, not neccesarily interactive, more like a slide show, from audiences ranging from 1 to 100,000,000?
Ok, I for one, would not recommend linux, but then, that's just me. In fact, I don't think you need a PC o/s period. Hardwire this puppy.
I know that scsi (sp?) is popular with none-computer users, as in audio recorders and stuff, so that is definitly the way to go. And DVD, I don't know if they make scsi DVD's or not, if so, life is sweet. Plug this all together, find a scsi projector machine, and run.
I never got your email... ???

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/03/01 12:53 AM

Thanks for the input Jason, a great spin on our development planning. I hope you will elaborate how we do these things. Hardware & hardwiring is always better than software emulation.

PS Sorry the e-mail didn't go through. I will recheck the e-mail send folder

I checked and it was sent @ 02:30 .

" Hey Jason

It's Ed Sutton - join us on Tools & Technology Forum, we need your input and advise.

see Ya there."

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/03/01 03:25 AM

From two sources I have recently gotten this information.

You can convert PAL to NTSC. It is something we have to do to transfer video between US and Australia. Europe and some other countries use the PAL format. Some consumer machines will convert it. As for the CDs, I imagine it is not a difficult thing to convert on the computer, but I have not had to do it yet. I know I can output in the different formats, so it would be a matter of dumping it on the HD and then exporting in NTSC.

thanks for your request about the VCDs. Here is the bummer..the VCD is not a format used in the US or even the western world. I am not sure why, but I think they are pushing the DVD here. The DVD players, at this point, are very expensive but maybe with time the price will come down. The quality is better and the type os software compression is different. VCDs are not as good os quality, but as good, from my observations, as the typical VHS tapes we now use. I almost bought one of those players in ----- just to bring it home. They cost about $150 US. Really cheap witnessing tool and effective in getting interests. They only problem is they only work on PAL systems and use software that I have never heard of.

I here tender my thanks to both as yet un-named information sources. Since I have no permission to name them, I won't.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/03/01 03:39 AM

Time for a synopsis.

A cheap hardwired small handheld CD or DVD disk player, that can be used one on one on their TV, to large crowds with a Projector, in American NTSC format. Hand & remote cotrollable through cable & wireless siginals.

A PAL Unit is in use in India. It will work hand held & hand controlled with TV sets via simple cable inputs. It costs basically $150.00 US funds. The internal format hardware & software is diffrent.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/03/01 04:48 AM

"Keep adding to your forum bios. You infered about grandkids."

What forum bios??? You can check my profile here for my webpage...

What grandkids?? Sigh... ok, I see I'm gonna have to explain this...

I belonged to a list for the Toshiba Libretto at one time, and after giving an answer to a technical question, someone on the list called me "groovy grandma." I really don't have any grandkids... yet. My son and his wife are waiting awhile.

And I definitely like your song of Digress, and I just did it again.

And since I'm a natural platinum blonde (oh boy, I just can't leave well enough alone, can I??) I guess my role may be to ask the dumb questions so all you smart techno-rats can come up with the answers.

So, here goes! Will the units that are used in India work elsewhere in Europe, Asia, South America and Australia??

Can we take one of those units and put the parts in it to work for the different countries?

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/03/01 04:58 AM

Another thought hit me... in the Adventist Frontier magazine they have talked about cassette players that are hand cranked.

Thinking about the Baygen radio which is hand cranked for like 30 seconds and runs for about 15 minutes or so from that... can we do something like that with this??

Then, it wouldn't matter where in the world these are used. And it wouldn't matter which format is used either... the whole world field could use the same product -- whether or not they are in a city or out in the jungle somewhere.

We could also format the lessons to allow for the breaks needed to re-crank it...

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/03/01 05:05 AM

And since Ed talks alot in here to himself, guess I can do the same...

I've given this url to a couple of techno-rats I know. Don't know if they will join us or not... I hope so.

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/03/01 04:00 PM

Talk to yourself all you want, as long as you post it. Then we can all follow along

That blond moment you had was a platinum brain storm just keep having um.

OK use the Indian PAL unit as is with the disks burned on Pal format. Frustrated pirating risks forever (or till Mick Jagger gets computer equipment that gender bends formats and steals our stuff.)

Back to reality:::::: IDEA :::: Use existing Indian (or wherever country they are built in ) PAL Units & burn our info on disks in PAL Format & use hand crank technology as a primary power backup, with AC or (DC running through Radio Shack Synchronous inverters & controls-Mother Earth News Plans.) Then the give away stuff burn onto disks (both CD & DVD in NTSC Format.)Build the NTSC format system as we need it for compatibility with American Systems.

Would need to acquire PAL hardware & software for PC's in this country. To build disks with our content.

Karen would you research locating that PAL Hardware & software stuff {online}? Where does LMNI get theirs ? Germany maybe ?

See talking to the ozone gets read later & adapts directions taken .

Your Blonde moment was an Einstein Ingram (good Idea) Clairol away - "High Ho Silver Away"( Hey I'm the one with gray hair - That's my line .)

This is all idea stage now (cheap-free even) This is a hip-pocket bank funded situation.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited January 03, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/03/01 06:54 PM

Actually the hair color is now white (coming from dirty blonde) considering my age... I just think platinum sounds better.

I'll contact Jeff about those PAL units...

Now to get to work.

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/09/01 07:06 AM

Ok, I admit it, I'm confused. You guys are talking about the different video formats all over the world? Not a problem! Because this particular machine will have outlets for all the major video technologies.
And, uh, I don't when the last time person read up on DVD players, but you can get then REALLY cheap now, I assume wholesale would be less than $50.

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/09/01 08:56 AM

(Jason, just between you and me, I'm confused too. I thought we were talking CD formats here. Maybe I just don't know how to read between the lines )

Hi Ed,

I did email Jeff, and he confirmed that he does know about the PAL format and the players in India, said he thinks about me once in awhile and that was that. I then asked him what kind of software/hardware is needed to do this -- and nada yet.... but that is Jeff!

I don't really know what you are talking about. Wanna interpret yourself for a kindergardner?? ME!

Are you talking about video, or CD type format? or both?? And I have absolutely no idea what to look for in PAL... I don't even know what it is.

See how I bluff my way along?? Platinums have to do that.

Karen

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

[This message has been edited by karen (edited January 09, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/09/01 05:36 PM

I believe Pal and NTSC (sp?) are video display technologys. I think.

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/10/01 04:08 AM

Yes the PAL & NTSC are video formats. If DVD players are so cheap on wholesale, how about the idea of using DVD player insides in a different outer shell and adapted controls using NTSC format. The difficulty would be the cost of (DVD RECORDERS)$4000.00 +.

It would save a lot of difficulty by bypassing having to translate from PAL to NTSC via computer vieo editing.

However getting more info on the Indian PAL CD Video system & how it functions and how it is used, would be helpful and would assist in determining a better direction to move in.

It is much better to move and plan in a digital format planning stage. Here it is cheaper to develop ideas and theories. The hands on applications and modifications will begin costing money and resources.

The CD Video lines of resolution are about the resolution quality of a VHS tape. Not great but adequate for one on one TV use, but a larger screen demands a larger number of lines per inch both horizontal and vertical. (Horizontal & vertical lines/inch = resolution)

A CD Video can not store enough megabytes of info packed dense enough on the CD to support a high level of broadcast. DVD can and does. DVD depending the number of tracks built into the DVD disk can hold 5 gigabytes of Video/audio. These disks are sold by lots of suppliers. However I've never burnt a cd much less risked making a DVD coaster/burnt toast.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited January 09, 2001).]

Posted By: Daryl

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/10/01 06:41 AM

I am not into this technical stuff at all, however, why couldn't these be adapted for use on video tapes as VCRs seem to be getting cheaper now?

Romans 8:28

Daryl

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/10/01 07:19 AM

I've got some cd coasters if anyone wants some!!

Daryl, I think Ed wants to make these so they will fit in a small purse or cargo-pants pocket. He wants to use all this tiny technology that comes out of the space program

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/10/01 03:39 PM

The content would be the same video tape, slides & audio, Video CD, DVD Disk. But to go where tapes & audios can not go or do not attract the digital generation or are too bulky & too expensive to mass produce; new uses of media are in order. Also taking the best presentations and representing them or using dedicated people to re-present them plus newly fulfilled additions.

Making give away stuff in all formats, including E-Books. Able to go from the artic to the equator & back from the antartic prn. Electronically uplinkable & downloadable (wireless via satillite- able to add or uplink any SDA message in any language from any country from anywhere via internet.)

Better than Prophecy Countdown Caleb & Joshua - to the MAX. Obviously one type of unit can not fit such a bill, and video does not need reinventing.

Imagine 1000 lay SDA people with such tools per state in the USA & Canadian provinces.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/10/01 03:50 PM

Talk about near instant gratification. View this techno players.
http://www.vidy.com/news/2001/jan/0105/index_2.shtml

http://www.vidy.com/news/2001/jan/0105/index_4.shtml

http://www.vidy.com/news/2001/jan/0105/index_3.shtml

The home page =

http://www.vidy.com/

Most excellent eye & idea candy. Nes Pas ?

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/11/01 04:15 AM

Sounds better'n a hot fudge sundae... makes the credit card drool.

Have you checked out the prices for the last two items??

joy b2u

------------------
Look up!!! He's coming!

[This message has been edited by karen (edited January 10, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/12/01 01:24 PM

Karen do you mean the prices on the DVD authoring software & DVD/CD ROM slimline player ? Not sure which prices you are refering to ?

Does this sound exactly like what we were building up to in this techno thread? However a big mfg company will be turning them out in bulk. Only 14 ounces in weight & play DVD Disks. I wonder what capacity those DVD disks will have & if it will deliver hi resolution movies and audio or just slides.

Then with the DVD authoring software, the proper graphics & audio tools & a resonably strong PC with the right periferals, DVD recording hardware, then get the proper SDA evangelistic materials and written permissions & contract terms to define & protect both sides positions - OR - build your own stuff from scratch for nitch specialized use or general use. Then begin distribution & use.

What about the first project being a set of trial disks & units for LMI & Amazing Facts to field try in English/Albanian/Lithuanian.

Also simultaniously a set of Spanish/Portugese disks & units for Canadian SDA's to use through StrawBerry Meadows into Cuba. Use same language formats for Central & South America

Also contact LLT about loading the Sabbath Project Video - parts 1- and as much as they have - onto disks for a field trial(canvassing ingethering type fund raising specifically for LLT's project. That being The 5 parts of video & global authoring & spread into the SDA's in the other countries with this more powerful hardware & software - enabling them ( the SDA nationals in those locals to build their resources & translate from the best American sources PRN.)

Looking forward to an actual game plan & SDA deep pockets coming on board (ASI comes to mind, as one group in particular) and funding an initial field trials for the 10/40 window, Cuba, South Seas, Asia, Baltic & developed Europe & Northern Siberia Oil field cities, and Africa, and English speaking countries.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/12/01 01:58 PM

Building content for recovering SDA backsliders(especially including SDA Academy & College students & teachers & Adm's), practical Godliness - overcoming, each doctrine presented in the manner of "The truth as it is in Jesus" - going beyond just what the Biblical data is but covering How Jesus Lived it then & still does & how they can copy His example and obtain His personal presence and tutoring through each doctrine. How Jesus taught How to Observe His Teachings.

In other words not just a 27 section diluted "wham bam ..... dunk um quick format. The goal is evangelism & the purpose of evangelism is justification, sanctification, glorification - being grafted into SDA Church sure but trained & put to sucessful work. This could dovetail well with Amazing Facts(and use a lot of Joe Crews stuff), Fast ST, It is Written, Quiet Hour, smaller more local SDA Ministries, and generate 1000's of new local outreaches especially overseas. The old Bible Readings & MH & various other SOP books will be very valuable source & directional materials for story boarding this type of materials. Materials built to reach even the toughest places like America & England & Industrial Europe & Australia with messages covering A - Z with the goal of conversion as well as indoctrination, and training for local work.

If we could get published & un published SOP bundled & with a great search/publishing engine & excellent Bible software & Bible vindication materials added also make the disk series an A-Z resource for SDA's in any land - not just developed America & Canada.

Giving them(the overseas nationals) the ability to become repositories of Adventism from A-Z should world conditions ETC cut them off. Having publishing, Video-Audio, Internet, broadcasting, and live outreach capacities so a worldwide loud cry could be toolwise facilitated when the SDA local people were ready.

Medical Missionary Work that couples the Medical/Evangelistic/Publishing/grass roots SDA door to door Ministry would be a set of Disks with a high priority. It wouldn't be the first field trial project to convince SDA & non SDA financial backers & doners, but as soon as the first phase began to fly the second phase ought to begin heating their engines on the launching pad.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/13/01 07:28 AM

Ed, the last two articles/urls you mentioned, #3 and #4 above. The first url you gave mentioned the price, but the 2nd and 3rd one didn't.

Your posts sound very well thought out... we have our work cut out for us in this project.

Now to my daily work...

------------------
joy b2u,
karen

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/14/01 04:38 PM

I have located a videographer (Digital Puppet-probably non SDA- most SDA'a are not in the movie/broadcasting Industry), who uses Mac systems and software to create his computer authored & generated & edited productions. I probably will not be able to use his software on my PC, so I need to find an analygous person who uses PC's & Windows compatable software & will step by step explain technique like this guy will.

Opening a closed thread through e-mail notification hyperlink is fun & quicker than waiting for the thread to open from elsewhere. So just after Sabbath I will still have access.

we still need a system to do it all in one hand held unit or use a cheaper than laptop system of controlls for output to TV & projection/ or broadcast. But DVD will do the trick on quality of broadcast . Possibly DVD authoring on DVD recorders could be done through some SDA Ministries ? Getting DVD Recorders & Bulk DVD duplicators is expensive expensive expensive .

DVD Authoring link
http://electroweb.com/product/Hard300.htm

DVD duplication
http://www.electroweb.com/product/hardord/dvr-1000.htm

http://www.electroweb.com/product/hardord/PrimeraComposer-Conductor.htm

http://www.electroweb.com/product/hardord/Ultera-MultiDVD-R-System.htm

DVD Equipment and software links

http://www.electroweb.com/product/hardord/Ultera-MultiDVD-R-System.htm

DVD Recorders
http://electroweb.com/product/HARDORD/DVR-S201.htm

DVD Software
http://www.cyber.com.au/misc/frsbiz/

Video Institutes
http://www.iov.co.uk/Default2.htm

http://www.magazania.com/id/jjmarketing/group/2364

http://www.videomaker.com/scripts/index.cfm

http://centxvid.home.texas.net/

http://www.cinematographer.com/

Mac Tools & software & online info

http://www.jps.net/puppet/

3-D new imaging technology & software
http://www.3dmetrics.com/index.htm

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited January 14, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/14/01 09:44 PM

Can you find out from this person exactly what kind of Mac system he has?? Which Mac machine? Which Mac OS? How much RAM? How big HDD(s)? Which hardware peripherals? Which software programs?

I started my computer life on the Mac... so am quite familiar with it still. I switched to the PC just to have more "fun".

You get the list of programs he uses, and we can figure out which PC programs are compatible from that. I would gather that he has a very powerful system to do this.

I'm getting a new MB with 800mhz processor; and a new more powerful graphics card. Was wondering why... now I know.

Will be checking out the urls you gave above later today... gotta get some breakfast first. Talkatchalater...

------------------
joy b2u,
karen

[This message has been edited by karen (edited January 14, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/15/01 03:51 PM

How about some "Mac" o naize to spread on the DVD needs & breakfast bagels ????

Weekly Peripherals

Linda downloaded Puppet Magazine Issues 1-3 so it will take me a while to sort out all the Mac programs he uses, but this pioneer DVD/CD-R system built into an ultra powerful Mac sounds good. I wonder if "poser" & "Light Wave Toaster" are compatable ?

We might develop extra heavy duty scanning needs, this might help.
http://www.contex.com/

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited January 15, 2001).]

I shortened the URL by giving a name to the link.

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited January 16, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/15/01 04:56 PM

Here is his supplied links to graphics/movie industry trade papers & websites.
http://www.jps.net/puppet/mwatch00.html

Digital Puppet magazine replaces Digital Movie News

The hardware & programs he lists in the downloadable issues of Digital Puppet are:
(hardware)
Mac 7600
Wacom Graphire Tablet (we already have one but not a grahire)
(software)
Final Draft
Abobe Photoshop 4
Sound Edit
Adobe Premire 5.1
Apple's Quick Time
Apple's Movie Player
Toast
Poser
Bryce
Swapz Pro

Definitly all 20 programs are not listed & probably covered in other issues. The technical details and considerations are covered in great detail. Makes me really want the Subscription even @ $300.00/yr If it is available in the USA, and it is in MAC format on CD ROM Disk.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited January 29, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/15/01 05:36 PM

Ed,

jps.net is right here in Sacramento. Does this magazine give a contact address/phone number for this guy??

It may be a local call for me

------------------
joy b2u,
karen

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/15/01 05:49 PM

I will list his old phone # & address, it seems he has been on location in India & Asia for a few months & may or may not be back @ this time.

Robert Purser
P.O. Box 507
El Dorado, CA 95623-0507

Robert Purser
Publisher and Editor
"Digital Puppet" magazine
685 Placerville Drive
Placerville, CA 95667-4298

e-mail:
puppet@jps.net
or
robert_purser@usa.com

Tel. 530-622-5288
Cuurently out of order (12/26/00)
(Leave an e-mail address so
I can return your call.)

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/16/01 04:06 PM

Our original goal was to develop tools to view & carry & easily display video/audio content for door to door evangelism . Perhaps it is best to return to that goal with only sideline focus on developing computer generated graphics at this point.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/24/01 04:35 PM

It seems a unit that will accomodate our needs will soon be commercially available. Any suggestions to content for the DVD disks it would play ?

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/24/01 06:02 PM

Will these units be from that 800 number I gave you?

How are you thinking of having the DVD disks burned? Is there a commercial place that will do small orders reasonably?

What about marketing? And sales? Getting the word out to all the churches?

As for content, any good Bible study set already in use can be modified and put in PowerPoint-like presentations with voice-over... or see if any or all of the Net series could be used.

We sure don't have to stick with just one format... take all of them we can and run with it.

------------------
joy b2u,
karen

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 01/25/01 12:50 AM

While I haven't called the 800# yet, do they have a website; I forgot if they did & I've already visited it or not? Soon possibly DVD burning will be affordable & high quality from home PC's & Macs.

Then one by one or hundreds could be affordably burnt on a PRN basis.

Linda is starting her first web page & putting the health lessons on it she wrote.

Content could range from workshops to door to door content to family business training to whatever, even authored games built to teach, Sabbath music video's , ect.

Perhaps there is a need for computer animation as well as videotaped events edited into DVD after all.

The various SDA Health facilities & Ministries could also be providers of content sources & recepiants. Even tutorials for professional & non professional people introducing them to the message in all its facets and/or as a training tool for SDA professionals & non professionals.

This might be great to expand small localized SDA grass roots ministries and businesses or use a demo to introduce some kind of networking between scattered SDA ministries & businesses.

I am beginning to start the Golden Rule Group at church. It will be a weight loss/diabetes management-reversal type/sleep apnea home management type endeavor on a lay basis starting from a small group of interested persons & hopefully expanding to an outreach beyond church.

Using such a unit in the homes might help/start with videos & move toward DVD & websites etc. All the while build a reproducable cookie cutter door to door in the home style platform & plant it in as many SDA Churches as possible after it is built.
After all this is tools + evangelism & evangelism is medical missionary in nature& function.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 03/17/01 07:24 AM

Hi! Sorry I've been away for such a long time. I'm viewing this place for the first time. I actually thought "tools and technology" was a section for the mechanically-minded and that I'd enter here only when my church's lawnmower broke down!

OK. Now that I'm here, the update on the DVD player is this: We're supposed to get them near the end of March but "something came up" and they're looking at the middle of April.

Somebody's condition on the technology was that each worker sign up 15 people a year (who are not church members) to watch the presentations.

Just a juxtapositional rhetorical question: Why do mass evengelists never seem to shake the "used car salemen" image?

OK, I understand that we've got to use 'em for more than movies...

I would like to get the sets as soon as possible just to see what the message on them is. Hopefully I won't cover the lens with my hand if the illustrated "beasts" are too lifelike and scary.

Some explanation might be helpful: As part of the "Ignite Canada 2002" Henry Feyerabend and Shawn Boonstra are offering discounted DVD Bible Study Packages to all Workers. This is partially funded by ASI. We're being charged 275 dollars for 550 dollar equipement. We can use our further education allowance to pay the rest of it. All of us pastors are excited...

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

[This message has been edited by Andrew Marttinen (edited March 16, 2001).]

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 03/16/01 10:39 PM

Thanks! Pastor Andrew...

My question is... do these run from a laptop?? OR computer?? Or can be hooked up to a TV set?? Or something else??

Or hopefully, can be used with all the above??

------------------
joy b2u,
Karen

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 03/16/01 11:57 PM

Since they're ordinary DVD players, they can probably be hooked up to anything that will support the DVD's.

We're also getting a wand/clicker in the package. This is so the presenter can to move the presentation along while he's waving his arms.

An option that I like is that these presentations can be on "automatic narration." This means I can mouth the words and a voice like what's in those '60's Kung Fu movies will explain Revelation's Thrilling Climax.

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

[This message has been edited by Andrew Marttinen (edited March 30, 2001).]

Posted By: Jayme

Re: techno evangelist resources and tools - 04/20/04 02:57 AM

Just came across this thread. Ouch, it makes my head hurt.

So, any information on those DVD players etc. used in Canada?

Why did this topic die?

Where is Ed Sutton?