Iran Earthquake

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Iran Earthquake - 12/28/03 10:41 PM

The Bible talks about earthquakes in diverse places. We have had quite a few recently. I want to share something I got from the BBC. It is from an Iranian. I wonder what we would do if something like this were to happen in a city in the first world:

Please help us! Many people of my country have died and more are injured. It's a big disaster, a really big disaster. The weather is too much cold and they don't have anything, any warm cloth, any food, and even any water. Please help us! Bam city is collapsed completely! This is a really terrible situation.
Zahra, Tehran - Iran

Is ADRA responding to this?
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Iran Earthquake - 01/11/04 05:43 AM

I hope ADRA responded to this!!!

What an opportunity ADRA has missed, if they didn't respond!!!
Posted By: Ikan

Re: Iran Earthquake - 01/11/04 05:02 PM

Question is, would the Islamic Republic even let ADRA in?? We once had a tiny mission there before the Revolution. Anyone know what happened to it?
Posted By: Avalee

Re: Iran Earthquake - 01/11/04 08:37 PM

Way back in 1972, when I was not a Christian, my first husband was stationed in Iran. He was in the Air Force. We were there for 2 years. That was when the Shaw was in power. It was an experience. I wish I had been a Christian then and knew then what I know now about things.

To get to the Commissary there was a direct route most of us Americans took...well on this route I would pass by the Seventh-day Adventist Church or a building that had their name on it. After awhile it bothered me so much I made up another route to the commissary to avoid seeing the buidling. Even though it was a bit longer. Even though I was not a Christian in any way, shape or form I did know about the church. My grandmother was an SDA and she had sent my name to Voice of Prophecy lessons by mail for kids when I was a teenager and I took every lesson available. But that was all there was to it. Just filling in the blanks so to speak. After changing my route to the comissary I never thought about the SDA church again until 1980.

I too wonder what has happened to the SDA Church in Tehran, Iran.
Posted By: Ikan

Re: Iran Earthquake - 01/12/04 02:02 AM

Wow! Talk about circular routes, eh?

I have an Adventist to Muslim book written in Kenneth Oster by the "Adventist Foundation" out of Shiraz and Teheran circa 1978, but that's the only clue I have.

Maybe someone has an old SDA Yearbook about that mission.
Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: Iran Earthquake - 01/28/04 11:57 PM

At a recent worksr's meeting we heard that ADRA is in Bam, Iran. You could probably get an update on their website.

ADRA actually has an easier time in Islamic countries than other church-based charities because they treat all folks equally (no special advantages to Adventists) and they keep Islamic dietary laws (no drinking or eating unclean foods).
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church