What is spiritual blindness?

Posted By: vastergotland

What is spiritual blindness? - 09/04/05 12:12 AM

quote:
2 Peter 1 3His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

5For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

quote:
Luke 4 17The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
18"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed,
19to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

20Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, 21and he began by saying to them, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."

Posted By: debbie

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/04/05 06:05 AM

Thomas are you wanting to make a point or ask a question besides the one in your heading?

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/04/05 01:13 PM

Oh, we sure are suspicious today arent we debbie? If you think this is making a point, maybe God wants to tell you something, hmm? Otherwise, as you pointed out the headline includes a clear and conciese[sic] question that Im sure at least someone on the forum is willing to look into.

/Thomas

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/04/05 01:15 PM

quote:
Revelation 3 14"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. 15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 19Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 21To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

Posted By: John H.

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/05/05 03:27 AM

Thomas, I think Debbie asked the question because the format of your topic here isn't very clear. Not to me, anyway. And evidently not to her as well.

I'm not being "suspicious" in saying this; rather these comments come from a desire for a clearer expression of what you're trying to say. Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted By: Tom

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/05/05 06:11 AM

I'll chime in with John and Debbie. I didn't see the connection either.
Posted By: Will

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/05/05 10:02 AM

Hey Thomas,
I agree with the others on this point that the post needs to be clarified, its sort of like medeme's posts hehe [Smile]
God Bless,
Will
Posted By: John Boskovic

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/06/05 05:15 AM

I think the question that Thomas asked is very simple and clear, easy to understand.

What is spiritual blindness?

I do not see any reason whatsoever why it should be difficult to understand what he is asking.

The answer to the question however, is probably the most difficult thing to perceive or convey.

Why?

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/06/05 05:24 AM

It's not the question that people are having trouble with John, but the connection of the question with what he wrote.

Spiritual blindness is a lack of accuity having to do with spiritual things.

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/07/05 12:54 AM

quote:
Tom: Spiritual blindness is a lack of acuity having to do with spiritual things.
That is about as informative as the question itself.

The scriptures referenced above speak of spiritual blindness.
Is there anything more difficult to perceive or convey than spiritual blindness?
Why is spiritual blindness so difficult to perceive or convey?

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/07/05 06:45 AM

Old Tom: Spiritual blindness is a lack of acuity having to do with spiritual things.

John:That is about as informative as the question itself.

Tom:Thank you. We aim to please.

John:The scriptures referenced above speak of spiritual blindness.
Is there anything more difficult to perceive or convey than spiritual blindness?
Why is spiritual blindness so difficult to perceive or convey?

Tom:Perceiving one's own spiritual blindness is difficult. Perceiving someone else's is less so.

Perceiving one's own spiritual blindness is difficult because it's difficult to see what one doesn't see. How does one recognize that one's perspective is wrong? That's very difficult. People tend to latch on to whatever ideas they already have, no matter what.

I'm not sure what you mean about the conveying part.

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/07/05 12:00 PM

quote:
Perceiving one's own spiritual blindness is difficult. Perceiving someone else's is less so.
Hmm, Could this be “quick to judge (others), slow to hear”; the basic problem?

quote:
Perceiving one's own spiritual blindness is difficult because it's difficult to see what one doesn't see. How does one recognize that one's perspective is wrong? That's very difficult. People tend to latch on to whatever ideas they already have, no matter what.
Is this because “the spiritual blindness” forms “our righteousness” (our concept of right/wrong, success, approval, etc) and therefore it is threatening to us or inconceivable for us to consider there could be anything wrong?

quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about the conveying part.
To convey; to communicate to one who is spiritually blind “the truth” so as to get the message across.

How does God do it? It is fundamentally necessary to salvation.

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/07/05 01:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ewall:
It's not the question that people are having trouble with John, but the connection of the question with what he wrote.

I dont quite understand what this sentence means. Is it a try to explain why only John B was able to take the question at face value? Which by the way is the only meaningful way to approach new topics and questions in a forum like MSDAOL.

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/07/05 02:31 PM

quote:
Isaiah 42 10Sing to the LORD a new song,
his praise from the ends of the earth,
you who go down to the sea, and all that is in it,
you islands, and all who live in them.

11 Let the desert and its towns raise their voices;
let the settlements where Kedar lives rejoice.
Let the people of Sela sing for joy;
let them shout from the mountaintops.

12 Let them give glory to the LORD
and proclaim his praise in the islands.

13 The LORD will march out like a mighty man,
like a warrior he will stir up his zeal;
with a shout he will raise the battle cry
and will triumph over his enemies.

14 "For a long time I have kept silent,
I have been quiet and held myself back.
But now, like a woman in childbirth,
I cry out, I gasp and pant.

15 I will lay waste the mountains and hills
and dry up all their vegetation;
I will turn rivers into islands
and dry up the pools.

16 I will lead the blind by ways they have not known,
along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
I will turn the darkness into light before them
and make the rough places smooth.
These are the things I will do;
I will not forsake them.

17 But those who trust in idols,
who say to images, 'You are our gods,'
will be turned back in utter shame.

quote:
Isaiah 42 18 "Hear, you deaf;
look, you blind, and see!

19 Who is blind but my servant,
and deaf like the messenger I send?
Who is blind like the one committed to me,
blind like the servant of the LORD ?

20 You have seen many things, but have paid no attention;
your ears are open, but you hear nothing."

21 It pleased the LORD
for the sake of his righteousness
to make his law great and glorious.

22 But this is a people plundered and looted,
all of them trapped in pits
or hidden away in prisons.
They have become plunder,
with no one to rescue them;
they have been made loot,
with no one to say, "Send them back."

23 Which of you will listen to this
or pay close attention in time to come?

24 Who handed Jacob over to become loot,
and Israel to the plunderers?
Was it not the LORD,
against whom we have sinned?
For they would not follow his ways;
they did not obey his law.

25 So he poured out on them his burning anger,
the violence of war.
It enveloped them in flames, yet they did not understand;
it consumed them, but they did not take it to heart.

quote:
16"Woe to you, blind guides! You say, 'If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but if anyone swears by the gold of the temple, he is bound by his oath.' 17You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? 18You also say, 'If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but if anyone swears by the gift on it, he is bound by his oath.' 19You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20Therefore, he who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. 21And he who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it. 22And he who swears by heaven swears by God's throne and by the one who sits on it.

23"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

quote:
16 For I am going to raise up a shepherd over the land who will not care for the lost, or seek the young, or heal the injured, or feed the healthy, but will eat the meat of the choice sheep, tearing off their hoofs.

17 "Woe to the worthless shepherd,
who deserts the flock!
May the sword strike his arm and his right eye!
May his arm be completely withered,
his right eye totally blinded!"

quote:
Isaiah 35
Joy of the Redeemed
1 The desert and the parched land will be glad;
the wilderness will rejoice and blossom.
Like the crocus, 2 it will burst into bloom;
it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy.
The glory of Lebanon will be given to it,
the splendor of Carmel and Sharon;
they will see the glory of the LORD,
the splendor of our God.

3 Strengthen the feeble hands,
steady the knees that give way;

4 say to those with fearful hearts,
"Be strong, do not fear;
your God will come,
he will come with vengeance;
with divine retribution
he will come to save you."

5 Then will the eyes of the blind be opened
and the ears of the deaf unstopped.

6 Then will the lame leap like a deer,
and the mute tongue shout for joy.
Water will gush forth in the wilderness
and streams in the desert.

7 The burning sand will become a pool,
the thirsty ground bubbling springs.
In the haunts where jackals once lay,
grass and reeds and papyrus will grow.

8 And a highway will be there;
it will be called the Way of Holiness.
The unclean will not journey on it;
it will be for those who walk in that Way;
wicked fools will not go about on it. [a]

9 No lion will be there,
nor will any ferocious beast get up on it;
they will not be found there.
But only the redeemed will walk there,

10 and the ransomed of the LORD will return.
They will enter Zion with singing;
everlasting joy will crown their heads.
Gladness and joy will overtake them,
and sorrow and sighing will flee away.

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/07/05 11:46 PM

Old Tom: Perceiving one's own spiritual blindness is difficult. Perceiving someone else's is less so.

John: Hmm, Could this be “quick to judge (others), slow to hear”; the basic problem?

Tom: Yes. But I think it's a basic principle that it's easier to see faults of any sort in another than to recognize our own faults.

Old Tom: Perceiving one's own spiritual blindness is difficult because it's difficult to see what one doesn't see. How does one recognize that one's perspective is wrong? That's very difficult. People tend to latch on to whatever ideas they already have, no matter what.

John:Is this because “the spiritual blindness” forms “our righteousness” (our concept of right/wrong, success, approval, etc) and therefore it is threatening to us or inconceivable for us to consider there could be anything wrong?

Tom:Yes. I think pride is also involved.

Old Tom:I'm not sure what you mean about the conveying part.

John:To convey; to communicate to one who is spiritually blind “the truth” so as to get the message across.

How does God do it? It is fundamentally necessary to salvation.

Tom:Ok, I gotcha. I know what "convey" means; it was conveying the truth about spiritual blindess that you were getting at (as opposed to conveying spiritual blindness; I was being to literal).

God reveals the truth about Himself to us. It's His greatest challenge. The cross is His ultimate way. There seems to be so much truth in it that even grasping it in the slightest way is enough to save.

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/07/05 11:58 PM

Old Tom:It's not the question that people are having trouble with John, but the connection of the question with what he wrote.

Thomas:I dont quite understand what this sentence means.

Tom:It means that I and the others who commented didn't understand you.

Thomas:Is it a try to explain why only John B was able to take the question at face value?

Tom:No, it was that several of us were confused by your post. Maybe John is smarter than the rest of us.

Thomas:Which by the way is the only meaningful way to approach new topics and questions in a forum like MSDAOL.

Tom:You mean take them at face value?

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/10/05 01:24 AM

Old Tom:It's not the question that people are having trouble with John, but the connection of the question with what he wrote.

Thomas:I dont quite understand what this sentence means.

Tom:It means that I and the others who commented didn't understand you.

Yet the question is as simple as can be. It is a standard english sentence without any logical jumps or hiden traps. A secound grad schoolchild can make and read and write "what is" questions. The only reason not to understand it as far as I can see must be a contious or subcontious refusal to travel down the road that finding the answere would take you.

Thomas:Is it a try to explain why only John B was able to take the question at face value?

Tom:No, it was that several of us were confused by your post. Maybe John is smarter than the rest of us.

As I said above, I find this confusion over this uncomplicated question unfathomable.

Thomas:Which by the way is the only meaningful way to approach new topics and questions in a forum like MSDAOL.

Tom:You mean take them at face value?

I was at first thinking that you guys where trying to read into the question alot of things that simply refuses to let themselves be read into this particular type of question. You got to have at least two rows to be able to read between the lines...

/Thomas

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/10/05 04:19 AM

Thomas, why don't you share your thoughts? What was your point in posting the Scriptures you did? What do you think spiritual blindness is? Do you have any thoughts regarding what John and I wrote? Was this along the lines of what you had in mind? I don't think there's much point in going on about not understanding why people were confused, do you?

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/16/05 01:08 AM

Thomas, why don't you share your thoughts?

Ok, here comes a whole bunch of thoughts.

What was your point in posting the Scriptures you did?

Well, they start out to explore the thread name question, specially the 3 first quotes. Though I can admit that possibly one or two of the last quotes are there only becourse they are such an wonderfull testimony to Gods glory. And thats no bad reason, right?

What do you think spiritual blindness is?
My theory is that spiritual blindness is either an unwillingness and/or an inabillity to understand the message of the bible. But I did not start the thread to give answeres, I wanted to jointly explore a question.

Do you have any thoughts regarding what John and I wrote?

Yes, John was right on, exploring the depths of the question. What it is and why it is so difficult to see it in one self. I would also like to add that it is equally difficult to see it in those whom you agree with as to see it in yourself. To make an oversimplified example, a conservative person cannot see blindess in other conservatives, only in liberals. The same is ofcourse true the other way around. Also, it takes a great strenght to be able to admit that one self could be wrong in a pet idea.

Was this along the lines of what you had in mind?

Well, while the questions where raised, it never went very far. There is need for the courage to ask questions which could have less appealing responses. Ponder what would happen if the question of spiritual blindness was asked and the response was, "it is I who need the eyesalve from Jesus". Its a scary possibility.

I don't think there's much point in going on about not understanding why people were confused, do you?

Obviously not...

/Thomas

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 09/16/05 02:16 AM

Thanks Thomas!

quote:
Yes, John was right on, exploring the depths of the question. What it is and why it is so difficult to see it in one self. I would also like to add that it is equally difficult to see it in those whom you agree with as to see it in yourself.
This is an excellent point! Very good insight.

Old Tom:Was this along the lines of what you had in mind?

Thomas:Well, while the questions where raised, it never went very far. There is need for the courage to ask questions which could have less appealing responses. Ponder what would happen if the question of spiritual blindness was asked and the response was, "it is I who need the eyesalve from Jesus". Its a scary possibility.

Tom:Are you familiar with the 1895 General Conference sermons of A. T. Jones? He explores this topic in quite a lot of depth (in speaking of the Laodecian church; actually I'm not absolutely positive it's the 1895 GCB as opposed to 1893, but I think so; about 75% sure; 100% sure it's one or the other).

He talks about how even when we recognize that we need the eyesalve and recognize our blindness, that does not change the fact that we are just as dependent upon the Lord as before.

We all need that eyesalve, and the more we have of it, the more clearly we will see our continued need of it.
Posted By: dedication

Re: What is spiritual blindness? - 01/22/23 08:13 PM

Spiritual Blindness?

To be blind means one can't see clearly where they are and where they are going. Thus they stumble along as best they can.

Spiritual blindness is much the same.
The Laodicean church has a bad case of blindness. They think they are rich and increased with goods, in need of nothing. BUT they are blind, poor, wretched and miserable and can't see it.

Possibly the cause of blindness is failure to hear or grasp the basic fundamental points of the gospel.
The first step in understanding the gospel is to recognize one's need. Blindness with a big case of unbelief?

Unbelief. Hebrews 3 tells us people missed out on entering the "rest" because of unbelief. Unbelief is not necessarily saying there is no God; rather, unbelief is a willful rejection of God and His Law, while still engaging in formal rituals Someone can be blind to their unbelief because they believe there is a God somewhere, way out there, and as long as they live half decent lives they'll make out O.K.
The world is eager to shrug off God's commandments and redefine sin, or do away with the concept of sin altogether. With a "whatever's right for you, is right" attitude.

The blindness that hides our greatest need, is the worst blindness to spiritual life.

God's law is as true and binding as it was 2000 years ago. And we've broken that law! We are guilty of high treason against the kingdom of God! We've sold out to the arch enemy of Christ. And the penalty for treason is eternal death. We take our condition lightly, blinded by the philosophies of the world. But sinners must see their offensive condition, rebels against God, with sin separating them from God. Only then can the Holy Spirit get through to their minds and convict sinners of their sinfulness and the serious end result of sinful life habit's that separate them from God.

Only then can we see the value of the gospel. Salvation comes from a gracious God who offers us deliverance from our pitiful state. When the sinner acknowledges their sin and repents from their sin of unbelief and turns to Christ by faith, they understand that God's work of salvation is wholly dependent and fulfilled only in the atoning work of Jesus Christ at the cross.

. It is the good news that Jesus Christ willingly died for our sins, was buried and was bodily raised by God from the grave. To understand that the gospel of Jesus Christ is the only path of salvation. The gospel is God's demonstration of both grace and justice. Christ willingly died for all our sins (Romans 5:8). In His death, Christ became our substitute, literally, He took our place as He bore God's judgment for our treason. He bore it on our behalf, and suffered a cruel, criminal's death. Thus, salvation is by grace, known as unmerited favor; but not without justice. Jesus was judged in our stead. At the cross, Jesus laid down his life willingly for all.

But that's not the end. Who are we going to be loyal to now. Romans 6 tells us we are the servants of the one we obey. Why would we want to continue in a life of treason against the One Who took our place, and died. Once our spiritual eyesight is enlightened, we abhor the deceitfulness and evil of sin.

Yet we can't be holy in our own strength. Only God is truly holy, and the only way we can rise above the sinful habits that have plagued us for years, is to be very close to Jesus.

And when our eyes have been washed with tears of gratitude for our Saviour's awesome provision for our salvation, we want to be led by the Holy Spirit, live by the Spirit, not the flesh, and rely exclusively on God's Word, in trust and obedience.

A spiritual blind person stumbles along in their own strength and wisdom thinking they are doing just fine. But God wants them to open their eyes and see the deployable state they are in and come to HIM who has things for them they haven't even dreamed of -- so great and wonderful.

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church