Never give up!

Posted By: Catherine

Never give up! - 09/26/00 11:09 PM

The following devotional reading was especially inspiring to me, and I wanted to share it here with you all.

From Daily Guideposts 2000, c.1999, Guideposts, Carmel, New York 10512, p.183

Monday, June 19, 2000:

When one of my thirty-something-year-old children asked me to pray about a particularly painful trial, I immediately did so. But when I didn’t see much result, I wondered if my prayers were really making a difference. Was God really hearing me? Discouraged, I was about to give up the battle as I headed to the mailbox one hot morning in June. I’d written what I hoped was a letter of encouragement, but I wasn’t certain that I should mail it.

As I stood hesitating at the mailbox, I heard a loud commotion overhead. I looked up, shading my eyes with my hand and squinting into the bright sunlight. An unbelievably tiny bird was screaming loudly as she chased a huge hawk. Again and again they circled in the sky above a small wooded area. Were the little bird’s babies there? Relentlessly, the small bird pursued the enormous hawk, darting in front of him as if daring him to catch her. At last the hawk began to grow weary. Fascinated, I watched as the exhausted hawk flew slowly out of sight and the victorious little bird returned to her babies. I continued to stare up at the cloudless sky long after the battle was over and the birds were gone, and listened with my heart.

I thought I heard clearly: You can’t imagine how effective your prayers are. The enemy is growing weary. “Yes!" I said out loud joyfully, and I dropped my letter into the mailbox. Even as I walked back to the house, I prayed for my child with new energy.

Marion Bond West

Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: Never give up! - 09/27/00 04:39 PM

The victor isn't necessarily the fastest in the race, but he/she is the one that kept going.

------------------
What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Gerry B.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Never give up! - 09/29/00 09:23 AM

Three convicted criminals, being executed.
2-admited guilt
1-proclaimed innoscence

One gave up & followed the crowd & died twice that day.

One followed faith and was born just before he died once.

One was not conquered at all, and He isn't dead anymore .

Calvery was Rome's gas chamber, one man's damnation, one man's salvation, and for that Single Solitary Man the arena of victory.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: Never give up! - 10/03/00 05:37 PM

I am reminded of the story of the little boy that wanted desperately to ride in a bicycle race.

Knowing him as they did, his parents tried to disuade him.
After much pleading and whining, they gave in and told him he could.

Happily he prepared for the race.
Every day he rode his bike up and down the street, constantly trying to improve his stamina.

Came the day of the race, he was really pumped up.
When the starter gun went off, he left the starting line in a flash.

Pumping his little legs like 60, he soon was far out in front.
But, the race was longer than he thought it would be. As he rode along, he began to slow down, soon he was barely moving, the next rider was still out of sight behind him, but he became discouraged.
Finally, he sat down by the side of the road, and after several minutes, the first riders rode by, soon they all had passed him and he was left all alone along side the road.

After an hour or so, he saw his parents come around the corner, they looked surprised to see him there, and came up to him and asked him why he hasd stopped.
Didn't he realize the finish line was just around the corner?

It is hard to do what needs to be done sometimes, and we tend to quit just as we are about to cross the finish line.
Let's ask God for the strength and the wisdom to carry on even when it appears that all is lost.

Gerry B.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Never give up! - 10/04/00 07:07 AM

I remember a "few years ago" a bicycle trip I did from Toronto, Ontario, to Calgary, Alberta...2500 miles in 28 days, with 100 lbs. of luggage on the bike...That last two days were torture!

But God saw me through; just like He does every "race."

------------------
"The joy of the Lord will be your strength." (Neh.8:10).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church