Oh, Canada! Our National Anthem is "Sexist."

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Oh, Canada! Our National Anthem is "Sexist." - 06/29/01 04:07 AM

It's not enough that we're not part of a kingdom any more (the "king" part refers to a male figure). Now the National Anthem's being looked at by a senator who wants to change it again. In the 70's "God" wasn't in the english lyrics. They changed that. Now look at what the Toronto Star says:

Senator wants sexist O Canada lyrics changed

OTTAWA (CP) - A Liberal senator would have Canadians command their sons and daughters to consider new, non-sexist lyrics for O Canada.

Senator Vivienne Poy says the Canada Day weekend is a good time to reflect on the English words of the national anthem, particularly the third line: True patriot love in all they sons command.

The wording, Poy said Thursday in a release, ''does not allow women to participate fully in the celebrations, nor does it acknowledge their important role in building Canada.

''We want all Canadians to have the opportunity to command 'true patriot love' when they sing the national anthem on Canada Day and throughout the year.''

Poy doesn't propose specific new lyrics, saying only that many Canadians would welcome a ''simple but significant'' change.

She is working with the Famous Five Foundation to consult with music experts and linguists ''to determine the best possible wording for an inclusive version,'' said the release.

The senator has posted a petition on her Website, and on the Famous Five site, calling for an amendment to the national anthem.

The French-language anthem was first sung in June 1880, and the current English version is based on lyrics written in 1908.

A special joint committee of the Senate and Commons recommended changes that became the official English version in 1968, and Parliament proclaimed O Canada the national anthem on July 1, 1980.

------------------
You have done many good things for me, Lord, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge. Psalm 119:65-66 NLT

Posted By: Edward F Sutton

Re: Oh, Canada! Our National Anthem is "Sexist." - 06/29/01 05:49 AM

It is good that the song of Moses and the Lamb will be forged by experiences and not gender bending agendas. No musical battles upon the vast sea of glass before the throne.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: Oh, Canada! Our National Anthem is "Sexist." - 06/29/01 03:05 PM

So you have no suspicions about the Seraphim with the appearance of a bullock?

------------------
You have done many good things for me, Lord, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge. Psalm 119:65-66 NLT

Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: Oh, Canada! Our National Anthem is "Sexist." - 06/29/01 03:21 PM

I don't think that a whole lot of women will be too upset that it was a 'bull' instead of a 'heifer'.

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men.Ps.118:8

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Oh, Canada! Our National Anthem is "Sexist." - 06/29/01 03:47 PM

Actually, what can we expect when they are already producting "gender-inclusive" Bibles? If the Bible isn't safe, there's no way any country's national anthem would be!
Posted By: DenBorg

Re: Oh, Canada! Our National Anthem is "Sexist." - 06/29/01 05:46 PM

I think many of them go too far, fabricating sexism where there is none, just so they have something to fight against. Not to downplay where they have actually done good in this area, but sometimes it seems they are seeing monsters under their bed.

How much longer before we're condemned for using words such as 'mankind', 'human', or 'humanity'?

Shall we start using these words instead?: 'personkind', 'huperson', and 'hupersonity'

But of course, 'person' contains 'son' which is, of course, sexist since it refers to the male gender. So perhaps 'people' should be used instead of 'person':

'peoplekind', 'hupeople', and 'hupeopleity'

[This message has been edited by DenBorg (edited June 29, 2001).]

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Oh, Canada! Our National Anthem is "Sexist." - 06/30/01 05:27 AM

Posted By: Tony Mantara

Re: Oh, Canada! Our National Anthem is "Sexist." - 07/02/01 07:04 PM

Did you know snowmen are sexist and racist? Just think about it: they're "white" and their name has that dirty word: "men." BTW, I didn't come up with this one myself.

Re: Oh, Canada! Our National Anthem is "Sexist." - 07/02/01 07:23 PM

I'm just wondering what the PC police would do when they find out about Revelation 17:16 and 17?

I've actually received several phone calls complaining that evangelistic material (which showed scary beasts) amounted to child abuse. Apparently it scares children needlessly.

One pamphlet I came across had the question "Can you identify the beasts on the cover?" and when you turned it to the front the most prominent pictures were that of the visiting evangelist, his songleader and the local pastor.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Andrew Marttinen (edited July 02, 2001).]

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church