The Unpreached sermon.

Posted By: Darius

The Unpreached sermon. - 12/29/05 05:15 PM

Hundreds of thousands of sermons will be preached this coming weekend as Christians welcome in the New Year. I do not know what the preachers will use for a sermonic idea but I do know that none will begin with the following quote, or anything remotely similar: "Brethren, that meeting we had last night on the sea of glass was AWESOME!"

Darius
Posted By: DebbieB

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 12/31/05 06:55 PM

What a great day it will be when we do get there!

Let's pray and 'work out our own salvation with fear and trembling' and get there to hear that sermon on the Sea of Glass!

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/01/06 03:28 PM

Debbie, nothing is happening today that is different from before. It is madness to continue doing the same thing while expecting a different result. At this rate people will have reason to doubt that Christians are the result of any intelligent design.
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/02/06 07:17 AM

Darius, I would like to take this opportunity to agree with you, which, as you know, is uncommon. I believe there are no reasons for any of us to expect this year to yield results different from last year, that is, so far as the return of Jesus is concerned. Many observations could be cited to support this dismal outlook, but the one that I believe is mostly to blame is this - The majority of Adventists have erroneous views regarding the 3AMs. Until we get it right we cannot warn or enlighten the world and, as such, Jesus will not be able to return.
Posted By: Jeff

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/02/06 07:50 AM

Quote: posted by Darius
At this rate people will have reason to doubt that Christians are the result of any intelligent design.

Darius, I hope you don’t mind if I quote that statement on other bbs.

As a “remnant” I think we have a lot to clean up in our own house before we can enlighten others. We’re becoming like the old Jewish adage, “ask two Jews a question and you’ll get three different answers.” We are becoming a diversity of beliefs.

But what I find disheartening, at least from my perspective, is that we’re all such “truth” mongers that I fear we’ve become more sounding brass and tinkling cymbals than light and salt. Do we care more that our brothers and sisters believe the exact “right” thing about say the investigative judgment than we care if they’re clothed, fed, and housed? Surely the former is important but never at the expense of the latter. Maybe my vantage point doesn’t reflect the true state of things but it seems we’ve become a splintered congregation where each fragment clubs the other with EW quotes to prove the necessity of its existence—or denies her relevance at all.

But is there compassion in individual Adventism anymore transcending beyond the feel-good reports from our conference magazines?

Jeff

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/01/06 08:17 PM

MM, you will be pleased to know that all my "divergent" views came to light when it became obvious that the church was completely unproductive in society. The only task which it had been given lay untouched while we do things that other agencies can do, and sometimes better than we can. At this point the church is simply a black hole into which the hard-earned money of its members disappear.

Jeff, all I ask is that you give me credit. (I work hard to come up with these words of wisdom.) Just this morning I opined why it is so difficult to get the church to change. We have bought into a dualistic view of reality so that if we are doing X and someone says that our primary task is to do Y we argue from the standpoint that this would require us to stop doing X. At that point, we lose sight of our mission because it becomes an argument over whether we should stop doing good. The world would benefit if we realize that paying attention to X does not require us to stop doing Y.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/01/06 11:44 PM

The first step of change is the realisation that change is needed. The secound ought to be to find out what the appropriate change would be. More and more people seem to realise the first, what the secound must be is a bit harder and thats where the 3 oppinions for every 2 persons are.

/Thomas

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/01/06 11:52 PM

Vaster, it is proving difficult for the first step to be taken. Most have taken solace in the fact that they can blame God for the delay by simply saying repeatedly, "God will come when He is ready." It is an insidious slur on the character of the Creator but it sounds worthy of an Amen.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/02/06 04:31 AM

Indeed, getting the 3AMs right is important. Taking care of our fellow beings is important, too. Jesus said we shall always have the needy to care for, and we as a church should see to it. However, if we can finish the gospel commission sooner than later, then the problem of taking care of the needy will take care of itself.

Revelation
21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/02/06 03:31 PM

MM, this is not the way to solve a problem. Your conclusions amounts to nothing more than a guess. It may be correct but it is still just a guess. You have shown no evidence why your conclusion is correct. If we are serious about the future of this earth we need to rationally analyse the problem to identify where we went wrong.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/03/06 07:10 AM

Darius, I believe the following Scriptures support what I posted concerning the relationship between proclaiming the gospel to everyone everywhere and the second of coming of Jesus, the restoration of paradise, the end of poverty and needy souls.

Matthew
24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Galatians
1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any [man] preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

1 Timothy
4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
4:3 Forbidding to marry, [and commanding] to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4:4 For every creature of God [is] good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

2 Timothy
3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

2 Timothy
4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4:4 And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Titus
1:15 Unto the pure all things [are] pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving [is] nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny [him], being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

2 Peter
2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Jude
1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/03/06 06:05 PM

MM, you have not shown how what you propse is different what has been done so far. The answer cannot be anything that has already happened.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/03/06 08:11 PM

Darius, just because Jesus hasn't returned yet doesn't mean everything we have been doing is wrong. Even if we are doing the right thing if the results are not global Jesus will not return. That is, Jesus will not return until everyone everywhere understands the great controversy and chooses either for or against the seal of God during the MOB crisis.

Revelation
2:25 But that which ye have [already] hold fast till I come.
3:11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/03/06 11:13 PM

You have only your opinion that that last sentence is correct. You believe it because this is part of your doctrine, but you could be wrond. Demonstrate why you are correct. After 2,000 years we cannot rely on opinion. There is too much at stake.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/04/06 02:28 AM

Darius, for a detailed Bible study on LDE please read the GC. I concur with everything it contains.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/04/06 03:37 PM

I like the way you duck out of the way of reality, MM.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/04/06 06:55 PM

Far from it. Asking you to read GC is akin to explaining to you in great detail just exactly what I believe about LDE. My views are thoroughly supported in GC by the Bible and the SOP. Reality? Read all about it in GC. Why take my word about it, when you can read it for yourself in GC. I would be more than happy to discuss anything you believe is wrongly concluded in GC. Just name it.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/05/06 07:20 AM

MM, reading GC won't change the fact that we are still here and have no plans for getting out. Point me to the part in GC that changes my opinion.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/04/06 09:14 PM

Darius, the "plan" is eloquently explained in great detail in GC. As a church we need to implement it. Where is the "plan" in GC? It's woven all throughout, but try reading chapter 38 - The Final Warning.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/04/06 09:38 PM

If you understand it you should be able to explain it in a few sentences. Have at it.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/04/06 09:47 PM

If Sister White required an entire book to spell it out how can you expect me to condense it down to a few sentences?

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/04/06 10:28 PM

I did not ask you to spell it out with an abundance of illustrations. Just give me the skeleton.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/05/06 04:45 AM

If you are unwilling to read it for yourself then nothing I would say about it is going to do any good.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/05/06 04:12 PM

Copouts are meant to be used. Good job.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/05/06 08:19 PM

Darius, if I thought you would actually appreciate the effort I would most gladly do the work for you. However, I strongly suspect, given your view of the SOP, that it would be wasted time.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/05/06 11:10 PM

Where did I express a "view of the SOP?" What is that view? Let's not start making up issues and stories.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/06/06 09:07 AM

On another thread you referred to Sister's White vision on certain slaves as "racist".

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/06/06 03:47 PM

You posted a comment and I indentified it for what it is.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/06/06 06:39 PM

Thus, you posted your "view" of the SOP. Therefore, no one is making up issues or stories. I am sorry you believe Sister White was a racist based on what she saw in vision. You are, in fact, implicating God, for it was He who shared the insight that you find so detestable. Since it came from God, it obviously is not racist.
Posted By: Stephanie Suranyi

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/06/06 08:01 PM

Darius, the quote you believe to be racist was not. In fact, there have been, through history, other races who were enslaved. Native Americans, the Israelites, even caucasians were enslaved. But that is not the topic of this thread. So, I will not continue posting about that information here.

MM suggested a chapter....a small portion of a book, to read. You basically said "no". No, you didn't use the exact word "no" but, from the wording, it was implied. I just don't understand why you would balk at the suggestion to read from GC..... care to enlighten us?

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/06/06 08:01 PM

MM, that is not even worth a response. No rational person will accept your characterization. I don't care who wrote the statement. The statement is racist. Whether the author is, that's another matter.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/06/06 08:10 PM

God is the author. Therefore, it is not racist. Every rational SDA who believes the SOP is inspired agrees.

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/06/06 11:42 PM

Steph, I have read GC. The last paragraph is one of the most sublime I have ever read. I used to know it by heart. I think I still remember the first line: "The great controversy is ended. Sin and sinners are no more" or something like that. Maybe I should refresh my recollection of it. Stop making assumptions about me based on your associations with others.
Posted By: Stephanie Suranyi

Re: The Unpreached sermon. - 01/07/06 12:03 AM

I was not making assumptions based on my associations with others. I just wasn't sure where you stood on it. It appeared, based on your own posting, that you were unwilling to read it. Thank you for clearing that up for us.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church