Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation?

Posted By: Claudia Thompson

Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation? - 03/27/09 09:30 PM

Hello,

I was just wondering about something. Perhaps I have the facts wrong but didnt AT Jones go to the US Senate in 1888 to speak against the Sunday Laws?

And wasnt it also in 1888 that Jones and Waggoner gave the Righteousness by Faith Messages to the Adventist Church?

If so, WHY did these two events happen in the same year? Is there any relevance to that?

What does one have to do with the other?

Claudia
Posted By: Tom

Re: Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation? - 03/28/09 01:02 AM

Yes, A. T. Jones went to the Senate to speak against the Sunday Laws. What he said is available for purchase. He had an amazing mind. The ability to bring up the facts and arguments he did, while being interrupted, just amazed me. I think it's very well worthwhile to read, and also very interesting.

The SD Baptists were OK with the Sunday law, provided there was a provision made for them to be able to keep Sabbath. SDA's were against the law in principle, and Jones said they would argue just as strongly if a law were proposed legislating that Saturday should be kept.

The relevance of the two events happening at the same time is pointed out in "The Great Controversy." Basically when Satan sees that his time is short, he gets to work to prolong things as long as possible. Thus the Sunday laws. He's working to prolong Jesus' coming as long as possible while the Lord is working to prepare it.

Re: Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation? - 03/28/09 11:51 AM

Hi Tom,

Oh I think I see what you are saying, that God was pouring out light upon our Church, through the Righteousness by Faith Messages of Jones and Waggoner, and so this stirred Satan up to persecute those who were proclaiming it, right?

Ive read parts of the National Sunday Law by AT Jones but I havent sat there and read it all through.

The part I REALLY liked was when he talked about how the Apostle Paul said that the Law... love thy neighbor was the summary of the last 6 commandments and that it was THIS PART of the Law that has to do with CIVIL law. Thats the only part Goverment ought to have any say-so over.

I hadnt realized thats right there in the Bible!
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation? - 03/29/09 12:13 AM

I seem to remember reading in the SOP that the reason the Sunday Law was shot down was because the SDA church wasn't ready to handle it properly in accordance with last day prophecies.

Re: Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation? - 03/29/09 08:10 AM

MM, I'm virtually certain Ellen White did not say this.

Re: Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation? - 03/29/09 08:14 AM

Quote:
The part I REALLY liked was when he talked about how the Apostle Paul said that the Law... love thy neighbor was the summary of the last 6 commandments and that it was THIS PART of the Law that has to do with CIVIL law. That's the only part Government ought to have any say-so over.

I hadn't realized that's right there in the Bible!

I've this same reaction so many times when reading their writings (I especially remember having this thought in reading "The Everlasting Covenant" by Waggoner). I think this was a great reason for God's blessing the church with their message, was to teach us to better understand what the Scriptures say.

Re: Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation? - 03/30/09 06:28 PM

I must have heard someone say it in sermon. Do you think the SDA Church was ready to fulfill her mission in 1888? Or, was she too steeped in the muck and mire of internecine warfare?

Re: Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation? - 03/30/09 06:32 PM

my question would be, is it really true that if AT Jones hadnt of stopped the government from passing the sunday laws that the end wouldve come?

and if so, we wouldnt of even been born. Are we supposed to be happy at the thought of that happening? smile

did he actually stop the sunday laws or was it alot of different people speaking in front of the senate?

Re: Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation? - 03/30/09 07:41 PM

Quote:
my question would be, is it really true that if AT Jones hadnt of stopped the government from passing the sunday laws that the end wouldve come?

The coming of the end depended upon the reception of the message God sent. The message was rejected, which is why Christ didn't come. It had nothing to do with the Sunday law.

The Sunday law is something Satan stirs up when he sees he's lost if he does nothing.

However, had the nation enacted the Sunday laws, it's a principle that national ruin follows national apostasy, so while Christ wouldn't have come, it's possible that our history would have been very different had Sunday laws been enacted on a national level.

Quote:
did he actually stop the sunday laws or was it a lot of different people speaking in front of the senate?

It missed not passing by 1 vote, so Jones was very likely instrumental. The others who spoke were open to exemptions. Jones argued against the law in principle, saying that even it were a law to keep Saturday, the SDA church would be against it.

Re: Jones and Waggoner 1888 Righteousness by Faith Message and Religious Liberty Correlation? - 03/30/09 10:06 PM

Tom, do you think the SDA Church was ready to fulfill her mission in 1888? Or, was she too steeped in the muck and mire of internecine warfare?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church