New Book on EGW

Posted By: Gregory

New Book on EGW - 11/14/13 03:08 AM

Ellen White: American Prophet will be published in 2014 by the Oxford University Press.

Some 60 people have been involved in its preparation, which has been actively in progress since 2007.

The majority of the authors are Adventist scholars who have taught in Adventist schools. Some have never previously had any connection with the SDA Church.
Posted By: Alchemy

Re: New Book on EGW - 01/10/14 01:43 PM

I just hope it's an honest and accurate portrayal of Ellen White's life and ministry.
Posted By: dedication

Re: New Book on EGW - 01/12/14 06:59 AM

I hope so too, Alchemy.

Here is a website on the project:

It appears the book is trying to place her in historical context -- how her influence affected American culture.

What is a bit troubling is to see her classed in the same category as Joseph Smith, Mary Eddy, Anne Hutchinson, Harriet Beecher Stowe.
And even more troubling was to see that Ron Numbers was the chief author for the chapter "Ellen White and Health".

However, the chapter headings sound interesting:

1. Biographical Sketch

2. Early Religious Experiences

3. Ellen White and Religious Culture

4. Ellen White’s Eschatology

5. Ellen White and the Shaping of the Sabbatarian Adventist Community

6. The Testimonies and the Development of the Adventist Community

7. Ellen White as Author

8. Ellen White as Public Speaker

9. Ellen White and Education

10. Ellen White as Denomination Builder

11. Ellen White as Theologian

12. Ellen White and Health

13. Ellen White and the Mind/Metaphysics

14. Ellen White and Women’s Roles

15. Ellen White and Society

16. Ellen White and Race Relations

17. Ellen White and Popular Culture

18. Images of Ellen White from the Outside

19. Adventist Views of Ellen White, 1844-1915

20. The Legacy of Ellen White

21. Historiography

A statement by Grant Wacker, professor of Christian history at Duke University, in the book’s foreword.

“They also show that however one judges the role of supernatural inspiration, White ranked as one of the most gifted and influential religious leaders in American history, male or female. Ellen Harmon White: American Prophet tells her story in a new and remarkably informative way.”
Posted By: dedication

Re: New Book on EGW - 01/21/14 05:58 AM

Another NEW BOOK on Ellen White is hot off the press.

The Ellen White Encyclopedia

Everything from the hymns Ellen White loved to the homes she lived in are covered in heavily
referenced articles. You’ll find a detailed chronology of her life and extensive articles on her ministry, her theology, and her statements in the light of advancing scientific knowledge.

According to George Knight everyone who is interested in Seventh-day Adventist and Ellen White should have the book.

I wonder if this book was produced in response to the other?
Posted By: jamesonofthunder

Re: New Book on EGW - 01/25/14 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: dedication
Another NEW BOOK on Ellen White is hot off the press.

The Ellen White Encyclopedia

Everything from the hymns Ellen White loved to the homes she lived in are covered in heavily
referenced articles. You’ll find a detailed chronology of her life and extensive articles on her ministry, her theology, and her statements in the light of advancing scientific knowledge.

According to George Knight everyone who is interested in Seventh-day Adventist and Ellen White should have the book.

I wonder if this book was produced in response to the other?

Probably unintended except by Satan. I am very Saddened that they felt compelled to put quotes from detractors into the encyplopedia. They have all these quotes from White haters included.

They say it's for a fair and ballanced approach, but God didn't inspire Mrs White to include the detractor quotes in her writings so why should Satan's arguments against the Spirit of Prophecy be included in an encyclopedia now?

The title of "Encyclopedia" has the conotation of being authoritative and concise, not distracting and confusing.
Posted By: Gregory

Re: New Book on EGW - 01/25/14 06:15 PM

James said:
Quote:

Probably unintended except by Satan. I am very Saddened that they felt compelled to put quotes from detractors into the encyplopedia. They have all these quotes from White haters included.

They say it's for a fair and ballanced approach, but God didn't inspire Mrs White to include the detractor quotes in her writings so why should Satan's arguments against the Spirit of Prophecy be included in an encyclopedia now?

The title of "Encyclopedia" has the conotation of being authoritative and concise, not distracting and confusing.

I have ordered the book, but not yet received it. So, I do not know what it says.

James, have you yet read the book?

Please document where they have placed quotes from EGW haters. I would like to see what such quotes are and how they are used.

After all, there is a big difference as to how a quote is used.

For years, denominational writers, in defending EGW, have cited EGW critics and state why and how those critics were in error.

The fact that a critic is cited does not ipso facto make that citation inappropriate.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church