HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Broadness of the Ten Commandments #134903
07/02/11 10:04 PM
07/02/11 10:04 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
This is told by D. L. Moody in a study about the ten commandments:

It is related of a clever infidel that he sought an acquaintance with the truths of the Bible, and began to read at the books of Moses. He had been in the habit of sneering at the Bible, and in order to be able to refute arguments brought by Christian men, he made up his mind, as he knew nothing about it, to read the Bible and get some idea of its contents. After he had reached the Ten Commandments, he said to a friend:

"I will tell you what I used to think. I supposed that Moses was the leader of a horde of bandits; that, having a strong mind, he acquired great influence over a superstitious people; and that on Mount Sinai he played off some sort of fireworks to the amazement of his ignorant followers, who imagined in their fear and superstition that the exhibition was supernatural. I have been looking into the nature of that law. I have been trying to see whether I could add anything to it, or take anything from it, so as to make it better. Sir, I cannot! It is perfect!

"The first commandment directs us to make the Creator the object of our supreme love and reverence. That is right. If He be our Creator, Preserver, and Supreme Benefactor, we ought to treat Him, and none other, as such. The second forbids idolatry. That certainly is right. The third forbids profanity. The fourth fixes a time for religious worship. If there be a God, He ought surely to be worshiped. It is suitable that there should be an outward homage significant of our inward regard. If God be worshiped, it is proper that some time should be set apart for that purpose, when all may worship Him harmoniously, and without interruption. One day in seven is certainly not too much, and I do not know that it is too little.

"The fifth commandment defines the peculiar duties arising from family relations. Injuries to our neighbor are then classified by the moral law. They are divided into offenses against life, chastity, property, and character; and I notice that the greatest offense in each class is expressly forbidden. Thus the greatest injury to life is murder; to chastity, adultery; to property, theft; to character, perjury. Now the greatest offense must include the least of the same kind. Murder must include the least of the same kind. Murder must include every injury to life; adultery every injury to purity, and so of the rest. And the moral code is closed and perfected by a command forbidding every improper desire in regard to our neighbors.

"I have been thinking. Where did Moses get that law? I have read history. The Egyptians and the adjacent nations were idolaters; so were the Greeks and Romans; and the wisest or best Greeks or Romans never gave a code of morals like this. Where did Moses obtain that law, which surpasses the wisdom and philosophy of the most enlightened ages? He lived at a period comparatively barbarous; but he has given a law in which the learning and sagacity of all subsequent time can detect no flaw. Where did he obtain it? He could not have soared so far above his age as to have devised it himself. I am satisfied where he obtained it. It came down from heaven. It has convinced me of the truth of the religion of the Bible."

The former infidel remained to his death a firm believer in the truth of Christianity.

http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Voice/Moody.Ten.Commandments.html

Re: The Broadness of the Ten Commandments [Re: Rosangela] #134909
07/02/11 11:22 PM
07/02/11 11:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Very true! People complain that the Bible or the Law does not deal with certain issues such as smoking, illegal drugs, etc. But obviously they are mistaken.

Re: The Broadness of the Ten Commandments [Re: Mountain Man] #134929
07/03/11 04:18 PM
07/03/11 04:18 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Every possible sin must be covered by the law, otherwise it wouldn't be a perfect law.

Re: The Broadness of the Ten Commandments [Re: Rosangela] #134939
07/03/11 06:25 PM
07/03/11 06:25 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
So then, as shown in this post, isn’t the quasi-codified system of Capitalism and all that is involved in making it thrive, a direct assault on the perfect Law of God?? As I Biblically see it, it is ‘the clever/perfect (pre-Shaking) “snare” to make void the law of God.’ (= EW 266-269)

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: The Broadness of the Ten Commandments [Re: NJK Project] #134942
07/03/11 11:51 PM
07/03/11 11:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
You call it "capitalism" (with a negative tone) and I call it free enterprise.

Re: The Broadness of the Ten Commandments [Re: Mountain Man] #134946
07/04/11 01:18 AM
07/04/11 01:18 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Of course... that way it sounds better, more attractive and much less harmful. It is still 'the same "snare" by any name!' You should really read what the SOP has to say about what fuels this system, namely “covetousness.

People who are concern with helping all those in need will not be saddened by not being to engage in the self-centered “free enterprise” and all that is involved in that unbiblical notion of “freedom”. Indeed much more can be done, and for more people, and that faster and more efficiently, by coordinate enterprise than by this ‘fend for yourself, cut-throat competitive, pyramid scheming’ which is “free enterprise”. People have been brainwashed to think otherwise and the aberration of Soviet-styled Communism served to anchor this deception. My model is what the Spirit-led Apostolic did and were able to achieve in their time of great collective need and marginalization, a similar condition that no only exists in the world today with more than half of the world, but also, as seen in the GC 2000 Global Denominations goals set by President Jan Paulsen as e.g, “Quality of Life of Church Members”, also, parallelling the world, within the Global SDA Church itself. And that in turn is also Spiritually seen in the Church. Case in point, you should see the scarcity of SDA materials available in my local ABC store in French. You’d think you were in a Third World country yet it is in the NAD!! That is all the result of allowing worldly systems, tenet and principles to guide and conduct the work of God. There is an inevitable price to pay for this and it is indeed being greatly paid today in various loss opportunities. (Hos 4:6; cf. Isa 5:13).

There is a most urgent cause today for collaborative/coordinated enterprise and those who really want to do something towards meeting those needs will not mind sacrificing their “freedom” for even the least of these other ones. Only fully obey God’s Law by rejecting the snares and unbiblical systems will provide true, sin-less (i.e., 1 John 3:4; Matt 7:21-23) freedom. These indeed Christlike ones will form the Church Triumphant.

And we have been over this in this thread....

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: The Broadness of the Ten Commandments [Re: NJK Project] #135063
07/09/11 09:28 PM
07/09/11 09:28 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
If the Ten Commandments are so perfect as stated by Dwight Moody, who I understand was a Baptist, (correct me if I am wrong), then why do the Baptists and others say that such a perfect Ten Commandments were done away?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Broadness of the Ten Commandments [Re: Daryl] #135069
07/09/11 10:07 PM
07/09/11 10:07 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
As I have witnessed, people will quasi-knee-jerkedly say just about anything, however self-contradictory it is, to avoid obeying, particularly a Biblical Truth. Then there is always the issue of deception, where the deceived person doesn’t think or know that they are deceived.

Re: The Broadness of the Ten Commandments [Re: Daryl] #135144
07/15/11 03:01 PM
07/15/11 03:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Daryl F
If the Ten Commandments are so perfect as stated by Dwight Moody, who I understand was a Baptist, (correct me if I am wrong), then why do the Baptists and others say that such a perfect Ten Commandments were done away?

In what sense do they say it was done away? Do they believe we are free to sin? The ones I've talked to say we are no longer obligated to obey the law in order to be saved. For some reason they think God required obedience in the OT to secure salvation. Of course that isn't true.

Re: The Broadness of the Ten Commandments [Re: Mountain Man] #139017
01/21/12 01:26 PM
01/21/12 01:26 PM
P
Peter L  Offline
Active Member 2012
Australia
The 10 commandments reveal the character of Christ it is a transcript of character of God. So when we look at each commandment we need to ask, what does this teach about the character of God?

Romans 6:16
(16) Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!