HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: Rick H] #187373
08/27/18 03:16 PM
08/27/18 03:16 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Again Elle, you are confusing length of time with a specific time. 8 days in length are not the "8th" day. Not sure who you think you can deceive by that.

Try other things like, "And there was evening and there was morning, the first day", means morning comes first...?!
You'd be amazed how many would fall for that one.

Quote:
2. The evening when the sun goes down from Noon to dusk.
There's one! Yep. Lots of people would go for that. Justify themselves. Between the evenings. Keep the Sabbath. So at noon, we have a moment of silence and pat ourselves on the back for "keeping" the Sabbath. yeah.

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: Rick H] #187377
08/28/18 07:18 AM
08/28/18 07:18 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Oh, Elle, I can hardly believe the lengths you will go to, to try to accuse someone relating the simple Biblical story as a lie.

Your repeating your "liar" accusation, does not in the least convince me that those Disciples arrived in Emmaus in the middle of the afternoon, and returned to Jerusalem before dark.

Yes, it was the EVENING of the first day of the week. People in those days usually went to bed when the sun went down, they not having electricity etc. The sun was not yet down when they arrived in Emmaus.
HOWEVER, that evening the disciples back in Jerusalem, didn't go to bed, they would not sleep till they learned for a certainty what had become of the body of their Lord... thus they prolonged their "day" -- and yes, it was after dark, when the messengers from Emmaus arrived back in Jerusalem. Though they had not yet gone to bed, yet, from an actual reckoning of time, Sunday had already slipped into Monday and counting forward eight days, the count would be from Monday to Monday.
The next meeting with Jesus was on a Monday, or even Tuesday.

And of course that is the crux of your whole argument that Christ had to appear to the eleven during the daylight hours of Sunday. == Because Sunday observers have created a non-substantiated theory that Jesus only appeared to people on Sundays after his resurrection. But it is in that theory where the lie really lies.

The rest of your post was steeped in assumptions.
There are plenty of people who try to line up all the names and link them together and write stories that would fall under the term "historical fiction".

The assumptions come from this verse:
John 19:25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the [wife] of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

1. How many women are mentioned? Some say three, some say four.
Jesus' mother, Jesus' aunt, a second Mary, and a third Mary.
So there is no absolute proof that Jesus' aunt was the same as the "wife" of Cleophas.

2. The word "wife" is supplied, it's not even in the original.
All it says is that there is some connection.
Also, how do you know the second traveler on the road to Emmaus wasn't Cleophas' wife? It would make more sense, really.
Usually husband and wife travelled together to the Passover in Jerusalem.
How do you know she didn't have to prepare the meal when they got home?
Why would she go home just hours before her husband? Women travelling without their menfolk wasn't really all that safe.

So really, what you presented is simply a field of speculation -- The possible variables are pretty large.

One thing from scripture -- Cleopas was NOT going home to Emmaus to tell important ladies the good news of the resurrection!!!
Scripture is pretty clear that he did not believe the news was true -- he didn't really believe the "ladies" who had shared their testimony that morning, and Jesus reprimanded him of being "slow of heart to believe."

If Jesus' mother and aunt were already there in Emmaus I'm pretty sure the Biblical account of Jesus arrival there would have been very different. Very different indeed!!!

No, those ladies were not there, we would have heard about it if they were. EGW's account makes WAY more sense, and fits scripture But your story most certainly adds all kinds of things to the Biblical account --

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: James Peterson] #188350
01/26/19 06:51 AM
01/26/19 06:51 AM
Rick H  Offline OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: James Peterson
Originally Posted By: Josh M
Every command has as much authority as the one commanding. The holiness of the Sabbath is derived from He who gave it.

Is the holiness of the day and the blessing of God so flimsy that humans can declare it to be unholy through choosing another day? This would bring God too low. Are humans holy that we can sanctify another day as holy? This would assume us to be too high.

We honor the Sabbath set by God not simply because it is a law, or because there's wages associated with the breaking of it, but because we are honoring God who blessed not only the Sabbath, but in giving it to us also blessed us.

So then, why do you dishonour God by bluntly refusing to keep HIS Day of Atonement?

"Any person who does any work on that same day (i.e. THE Day of Atonement), that person I will destroy from among his people. You shall do no manner of work; it shall be a statute FOREVER throughout your generations in all your dwellings. It shall be to you a sabbath of solemn rest, and you shall afflict your souls; on the ninth day of the month at evening, from evening to evening, you shall celebrate your sabbath." (Lev. 23:30-32)

///

That was pointing to the Cross.

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: Rick H] #188352
01/26/19 01:50 PM
01/26/19 01:50 PM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Unfortunately, there are many who insist that the Ten Commandments that define sin, and are the only words physically written by the finger of God Himself, are equivalent to the rules given to direct our attention to the cross. A closer study of the word "forever" (owlam, Strong’s, H5769) would be helpful.

Exo 21:6
"Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him ‘for ever’." (owlam, Strong’s H5769)

Is Mr Peterson suggesting that in heaven, human slaves will serve their human masters "for ever"? Their servitude ended when they died. Just as the seven yearly sabbaths ended at the cross.

It is always fascinating to me, that those who support the Catholic attempt to change God’s definition of sin, focus their efforts on the Sabbath. If the definition of one sin may be changed, then surely all such definitions may be changed? By this logic murder, false witness, adultery, stealing etc. are all acceptable to God...

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: ProdigalOne] #188373
01/28/19 06:40 PM
01/28/19 06:40 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne
Unfortunately, there are many who insist that the Ten Commandments that define sin, and are the only words physically written by the finger of God Himself, are equivalent to the rules given to direct our attention to the cross. A closer study of the word "forever" (owlam, Strong’s, H5769) would be helpful.

"Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him ‘for ever’." (owlam, Strong’s H5769)

Is Mr Peterson suggesting that in heaven, human slaves will serve their human masters "for ever"? Their servitude ended when they died. Just as the seven yearly sabbaths ended at the cross.

I need clarification as I don't if I understand correctly what you said above. BTW who is Mr. Peterson? I think we have the same understnding of olam ; but let me bring the root word and 1 text (as there's plenty more like the one you quoted and mine that makes no sense with the english translation of olam as forever. At times it can mean forever; but their is very few application of the word olam means such.

owlam root word is alam (h5956) that means "to conceal, hide, be hidden, be concealed, be secret".

Jonas 2:6 " I descended to the roots of the mountains. The earth with its bars was around me forever [olam], But Thou hast brought up my life from the pit, O LORD my God."

Jonas was only in the whale for 3 days not forever; but when he entered he had no clue how long he would be there.

Originally Posted By: ProdigalSon
It is always fascinating to me, that those who support the Catholic attempt to change God’s definition of sin, focus their efforts on the Sabbath. If the definition of one sin may be changed, then surely all such definitions may be changed? By this logic murder, false witness, adultery, stealing etc. are all acceptable to God...

??? What did you do about the other Sabbaths the law talks about? Do you live by only a few words God spoke that you select....or seek to understand and live by ALL Gods word?

Blessings
Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: Rick H] #188389
01/29/19 04:12 PM
01/29/19 04:12 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Yeah, Elle, we already talked about how you "live by ALL Gods word". You suggest others should, but you only follow what you say by your own imaginations. The other sabbaths ended. That was the main message Paul was dealing with all the Judaizers who wanted everyone to keep the law of Moses. They denied Christ's sacrifice.

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: kland] #188390
01/29/19 04:53 PM
01/29/19 04:53 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
Yeah, Elle, we already talked about how you "live by ALL Gods word". You suggest others should, but you only follow what you say by your own imaginations.
saying so does not make it true. Show me where what I say is my own imagination. That's the best way to deal with the issue and study. I always address you with the specific where I find you only use one text to proof text. One text cannot give the whole picture.

Originally Posted By: kland
The other sabbaths ended. That was the main message Paul was dealing with all the Judaizers who wanted everyone to keep the law of Moses. They denied Christ's sacrifice.
I don't beleive the Judaizers denied Christ's sacrifice and other rituals; but they applied it in their Old covenant mindset. That's what Paul was commenting about that the laws should be viewed and applied with a New covenant mindset. However, the Jews(not the Judaizers) did denied Christ's sacrifice.

Concerning other sabbaths ended...again that is your say. According to Paul in Hebrew 4, he was talking about entering the Tabernacle-Jubilee rest (not the 7 day rest) that the Israelites refused to enter and all perished in the desert for it. So for Paul he recognized other Sabbaths that still needs to be prophetically fulfilled.

Blessings
Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: Rick H] #188418
02/01/19 04:12 PM
02/01/19 04:12 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I stand corrected. Insead of "imagination" I should have said, not Biblical.

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: Elle] #188574
02/24/19 03:03 AM
02/24/19 03:03 AM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Dearest Elle,

I shall miss our lively discussions:
your insights over which we would so often contend,
your studious presentations that showed so well, how you loved the Word.
Though, at times we would disagree, the fruit of God’s Spirit was plain to see:
your patience, your gentleness, your kind gift of time, the hours of labor spent to share what you believed and the ache in your heart for each lost soul yet to be found.

For one small moment, sleep in peace. And, you will wake to touch His face:
the One who loves you most. At last, in the Light and Love of His grace,
you and I both shall see, no longer through dark glass. And then, perhaps we’ll laugh
together at how blind we were, and how very much eternity has yet to teach us...

I miss you Marie-Mai,
my Sister, my friend.

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: ProdigalOne] #189528
05/24/19 12:24 AM
05/24/19 12:24 AM
Rick H  Offline OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne

Or they change it to allow for idols.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!