HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Can someone please explain to me about Progressive Adventism? [Re: TheophilusOne] #194889
07/09/22 10:06 PM
07/09/22 10:06 PM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted by Kevin
I don't know what Dedication means by fragmenting the great controversy into acceptable and non-acceptable parts. So I don't know how to address this.

Ministry Magazine 2000 December, gives some interesting thoughts on this.

"For Seventh-day Adventists, the GCT is the core concept that brings coherence to all biblical subjects. It transcends the age-old divisions that have fractured the Christian church for centuries. It brings peace to theological adversaries who suddenly see in a new harmony the truths that each had been vigorously arguing for. Herein lies the uniqueness of Adventism."
"This "mutually supportive cluster" of ideas that marks Adventist eschatology exists today because the GCT informs all areas of Adventist thought. Every area, because it unfolds from this organizing principle, is coherent and interactive with all other areas."

Too many times Progressive Adventist groups seek to step outside of this core concept which destroys the coherence of Biblical subjects and sends the church back into the age-old divisions that have plagued Christianity for centuries.

Re: Can someone please explain to me about Progressive Adventism? [Re: TheophilusOne] #194890
07/15/22 09:19 AM
07/15/22 09:19 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Anything progressive that attempts to destroy any of the pillars of the SDA Church is actually regressive.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Can someone please explain to me about Progressive Adventism? [Re: Daryl] #194895
07/18/22 10:57 PM
07/18/22 10:57 PM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Originally Posted by Daryl
Anything progressive that attempts to destroy any of the pillars of the SDA Church is actually regressive.

Agreed. However, there are those who want to present things in the same old way and are upset with progressive methods that support our pillars.

Re: Can someone please explain to me about Progressive Adventism? [Re: TheophilusOne] #194896
07/18/22 11:42 PM
07/18/22 11:42 PM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
This book finally arrived today. Been going through the index and looking up different names and references that caught my eye. Thus far the book is fantastic!!! One point that surprised me was that there was only one reference to Lynn Harper Wood; and all it said was that when he was President of Southern Missionary College, that his theology/religion department was so extremely conservative that professors he invited to join his department were afraid to come.

Lynn Wood was one of the major players in a, pillar confirming, but still progressive Adventism from the years that he taught at the Seminary and the influence he had on students when he gave week of prayers at different colleges. Lynn Wood was one of our first PhD's and archaeologist. While there were Adventists who came to similar views before him (such as an Elder Fifield, who was a good friend of the Whites) who came to an understanding that "Hell Fire" is seeing the glory of God in person, and not the same substance that we get when lighting a match or seeing a volcano. This lack of information on Lynn Wood is missing the powerful influence over the thesis of this book. While I don't know about Elder Person himself, some of those who he enlisted to "fix" the church had the goal of destroying Lynn Wood's influence over the church. Probably the first generation of influencers in progressive Adventism would be A. G. Daniels, W. W. Prescott and Willie White. The next generation would be Lynn Wood (in Valentine's book on Prescott he refers to how Prescott and Lynn Wood had a lot of thoughts they agreed upon). The third generation would include Lynn Wood's students, especially Paul Heubech, and W. W. Prescott's student Edwin Hepenstal.

Except for this one surprise that there was only that small comment about Lynn Wood,, this book appears to be fantastic!!!! I highly recommend it!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Ostriches-Canaries-Coping-Adventism-1966-1979/dp/B09SNSNQW1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=AFWKX6U2X2C0&keywords=Ostriches+%26+Canaries&qid=1655834757&sprefix=ostriches+%26+canaries%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1

Re: Can someone please explain to me about Progressive Adventism? [Re: TheophilusOne] #194897
07/19/22 12:02 AM
07/19/22 12:02 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
I don't know if I made this clear in my posts. I see three groups here. Now I don't like the terms "Conservative" and "Liberal" as both groups are ultra conservative but in two different ways. One group is focused on our traditions, and the thought of people such as Elder Washburn, Elder Wilkinson, and Elder Andresen. The other group wants to be traditional evangelicals and are focused on Reformation theology. This would include Desmond Ford, and some of the ideas you mention about downplaying the Sabbath, being very critical against Mrs. White, or at best seeing her as merely an "inspirational" or "pastoral" prophet, and wants us to give up 1844 and the Investigative Judgment.

The third group are very accepting of our pillars, but approach them from newer discoveries in say archaeology and linguistic studies. They have different understandings of the nature of hell fire from the traditions. They support our pillars, but don't necessary support our traditions. Both of the above groups are critical of this third group. As one of my college professors used to say "If you preach the truth everyone hates you, everyone just wants to hold on to their partial truths."

Re: Can someone please explain to me about Progressive Adventism? [Re: Kevin H] #194898
07/19/22 09:12 AM
07/19/22 09:12 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Kevin H
The third group are very accepting of our pillars, but approach them from newer discoveries in say archaeology and linguistic studies. They have different understandings of the nature of hell fire from the traditions. They support our pillars, but don't necessary support our traditions. Both of the above groups are critical of this third group. As one of my college professors used to say "If you preach the truth everyone hates you, everyone just wants to hold on to their partial truths."

Who, for example, are the known people promoting this group's type of thinking?

Daryl smile

Re: Can someone please explain to me about Progressive Adventism? [Re: Daryl] #194899
07/19/22 05:32 PM
07/19/22 05:32 PM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Originally Posted by Daryl
Originally Posted by Kevin H

Who, for example, are the known people promoting this group's type of thinking?

If you have access to the SDA Bible Commentary, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the contributors would have considered themselves in this group, and a number of them were worried that Elder Person would remove them. Also: George Rice, James Valentine, when John Wood was teaching at AUC, Dean Davis, Edward Heppenstall. I think that we can include Jacques Doukhan. Alden Thopmson. Paul Heubech, Gerald Wheeler. Of course I already mentioned Lynn Wood and he was also a contributer to the SDABC Back in the 1800s we had an Elder Fifield, early 20th century A. G. Daniels, W. W. Prescott and Willie White.

How is this for starters?

Last edited by Kevin H; 07/19/22 05:41 PM.
Re: Can someone please explain to me about Progressive Adventism? [Re: TheophilusOne] #194900
07/20/22 12:05 AM
07/20/22 12:05 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Oops, can't forget HMS Sr & Jr

Re: Can someone please explain to me about Progressive Adventism? [Re: TheophilusOne] #194902
07/24/22 03:16 PM
07/24/22 03:16 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
In what group would you place The GC President, Elder Ted Wilson?

Daryl smile

Re: Can someone please explain to me about Progressive Adventism? [Re: TheophilusOne] #194910
07/26/22 01:09 AM
07/26/22 01:09 AM
dedication  Offline
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
It seems that putting people into these supposed three "groups"isn't really fair.

Evangelical traditionalists, basically throw out everything that doesn't fit into the evangelical way of thinking. Though they hold the Sabbath (in much the same way evangelicals hold Sunday), they strip it of Adventist beliefs, etc. They aren't "progressive Adventists", they are retreating back and limiting themselves to reformation theology.

A.F Ballenger is an example of that type of reasoning. I'm sure he would say he was still holding the "pillar" sanctuary doctrine, but his misguided Bible study brought in changes that undermined that pillar. The theological foundations for our "pillars" were NOT haphazardly built by our pioneers. Brother Ballenger, even with his perceived discoveries of Bible facts, wasn?t wise to step off it. Though some might think he was "progressive".

EGW wrote: Brother Ballenger: "You are bringing in confusion and perplexity by your interpretation of the Scriptures. You think that you have been given new light, but your light will become darkness to those who receive it" (Manuscript Releases 760, p. 10).

Adventist Traditionalists?

Anyone who is a true seeker of God's Word will EXPAND their understanding. The Bible continually brings new insights and depth to our understanding.
That is as it should be.
Yet these advances should not challenge the pillars and should be advanced into only with much prayer and bible study. We see Jones and Waggoner expanding the churches understanding of righteousness by faith. This was sorely needed. We see the church moving from a "pagan" understanding of the "continual" in Daniel 8, to seeing the "continual" as Christ our high priest continually mediating for His people. Thus bringing verse 14 more fully into the context with the whole chapter speaking of the sanctuary. We also see the earlier concept of Christ as a created divine Being changing to a realization that Christ is fully God, One with the Father.

Yes there are some who resist these ideas. But these ideas don't undermine the pillars or change the pillars, they enhance them and make them more precious.

But what do you mean by "accepting the pillars" yet apparently redefining them.

Of particular concern is redefining the prophecies, especially the ones upon which the pillars are built.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!