HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #101112
07/22/08 10:53 PM
07/22/08 10:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
TE: Regarding the other two questions, I'm not sure how you would define "morally imperfect." It would be difficult to characterize one in heaven as morally imperfect. Perhaps "morally immature" would be a better term.

MM: Would you apply the same term to the sinful habits and traits of character the thief took to the grave with him? Or, will they change names or titles after Jesus resurrects him?

TE: You're serious? They change names or titles after Jesus resurrects him? How can this be a serious question?

MM: I took what you wrote seriously. That is, I assumed you were serious when you addressed my two questions by saying the moral imperfections the thief took with him to the grave would be regarded as "morally immature" in the resurrection. Please explain how his sinful habits will go from moral imperfections to merely morally immature habits in the "twinkling of an eye".

TE: You asked, "Would you apply the same term to the sinful habits and traits of character the thief took to the grave with him? Or, will they change names or titles after Jesus resurrects him?" Change to what, for example? What good would changing the name or title of a term do? Why are you asking this question?

Tom, you wrote – “It would be difficult to characterize one in heaven as morally imperfect. Perhaps "morally immature" would be a better term.” This is what I have been trying to understand. Are you saying the moral imperfections (i.e. the cultivated sinful traits of character) the thief took with him to the grave will change into "morally immature" habits when he is resurrected? If so, what will cause the change, the transformation?

Originally Posted By: Tom
MM: Can we really refer to uncrucified sinful habits and traits of character as "morally immature?" Where is sin referred to in this way in the inspired writings?

TE: You mean "character," not "sin." Here's an example:

"The germination of the seed represents the beginning of spiritual life, and the development of the plant is a beautiful figure of Christian growth. As in nature, so in grace; there can be no life without growth. The plant must either grow or die. As its growth is silent and imperceptible, but continuous, so is the development of the Christian life. At every stage of development our life may be perfect; yet if God's purpose for us is fulfilled, there will be continual advancement. Sanctification is the work of a lifetime. As our opportunities multiply, our experience will enlarge, and our knowledge increase. We shall become strong to bear responsibility, and our maturity will be in proportion to our privileges. (COL 65)

MM: I meant cultivated sinful traits of character. Character is not neutral; it is either sinful or sinless.

TE: “Character is not neutral; it is either sinful or sinless.” What do you mean by this? In particular, do you think a born again person has a sinless character? (i.e. all born again people have sinless characters).

Yes, people who experience the miracle of rebirth in God’s appointed way, as opposed to a counterfeit way, are born again morally complete, morally perfect (but not necessarily mentally perfect, that is, they may not have learned certain truths which require Bible and prayer to arrive at, such as Sabbath-keeping and health reform).

People are born with an instinctive knowledge of what is morally right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments. Thus they are not ignorant of the wrongness of the habits and traits they have cultivated. Non-believers feel guilt and shame when they do things that are morally wrong. However, they might not understand why they feel bad or realize that their habits and traits violate the law of God.

During the process of conversion, the Holy Spirit gradually reveals to these people, for the first time, their cultivated sinful habits and traits of character in light of the cross. Of course they were already aware their moral wrongness, but seeing them in light of the cross is a whole new revelation of their sins, and it causes them to love Jesus and to hate their sinfulness properly. They want to be born again, to die to sin, self, and Satan.

The moment they confess and crucify their old man habits and traits of character they experience the miracle of rebirth. Their sinful character dies, and God implants within them all of His righteous traits of character, all of the fruits of the Spirit. Not one is missing. They are born again with sinless traits of character, which they begin cultivating immediately. They begin as babes, and day by day, year after year, they grow in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit in exactly the same way Jesus did. This process begins here, but eternity isn’t long enough to exhaust it.

“We need to understand that imperfection of character is sin. All righteous attributes of character dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole, and every one who receives Christ as a personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. {COL 330.2}

“The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. "He that abideth in Me," said Jesus, "and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing." When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing. {DA 676.4}

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #101114
07/22/08 10:58 PM
07/22/08 10:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you said the thief took certain uncrucified cultivated sinful traits of character with him to the grave. Then you said in the resurrection these certain sinful traits of character will be reclassified as "morally mature", that it wouldn't make sense to label them "moral imperfections". Do you really believe this, or did I misunderstand you?

By the way, the quote you posted earlier (COL 65) does not address this situation. Instead, she is describing the process of sanctification, which happens before people die. She wrote - "At every stage of development our life may be perfect; yet if God's purpose for us is fulfilled, there will be continual advancement."

You seem to think this means the Holy Spirit will be able to gradually make born again believers aware that certain of their habits and cultivated traits of character are sinful, and that these things need to be confessed and crucified. But the "continual advancement" she is referring to has to do with "perfecting holiness", not unperfecting unholiness. Here's how she put it elsewhere:

Quote:
"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. {ML 250.4}

It is your work to advance toward perfection, making constant improvement, until at last you are pronounced worthy to receive immortal life. And even then the work of progression will not cease, but will continue throughout eternity. {HP 186.6}

Do you see what I mean? "... an advance from one stage of perfection to another." Not an advance from one stage of imperfection to a lesser stage of imperfection until we achieve perfection. It's not a process of devolution.

TE: MM, if you think of yourself as morally perfect, then you have no need for mercy, do you?

MM: Mercy will continue to be a reality throughout eternity, even after the extermination of our sins in the lake of fire. In Christ we are complete, morally perfect, lacking nothing - so far as our salvation status in concerned.

TE: You didn't say "In Christ" before. It seems to me we've had this conversation before, and I pointed out the same thing, and you agreed you should say "in Christ."

I didn't say anything about it before this recent volley. I was merely addressing your observation regarding my moral perfection and whether or not I still need mercy. I answered it as you have instructed me. I thought I was being a good student.

In case you misunderstood me, though, let me clarify. By "in Christ" I do not mean certain of our sinful habits and cultivated traits of character are unknown to us, and that in Christ God winks at them until the Holy Spirit is finally able to get through to us, or that in Christ God treats us as if we are sinless whereas in reality we are very faulty and defective.

Do you see what I mean?

Instead, I am implying that although people experience moral perfection the moment they crucify their old man habits of sin, their cultivated sinful traits of character, it does not mean they have learned how to obey and observe "all things whatsoever" Jesus commanded. See Matthew 28:19-20. For example, they might not have learned how to obey and observe the 7th day Sabbath before they experienced the miracle of rebirth. This is not a moral or immoral issue until they are convicted of the truth.

Do you know what I mean?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #101117
07/23/08 12:58 AM
07/23/08 12:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, you said the thief took certain uncrucified cultivated sinful traits of character with him to the grave.

MM, let's start with this. Where did I say this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #101118
07/23/08 01:00 AM
07/23/08 01:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Then you said in the resurrection these certain sinful traits of character will be reclassified as "morally mature"

Where did I say this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #101119
07/23/08 01:01 AM
07/23/08 01:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
You seem to think this means the Holy Spirit will be able to gradually make born again believers aware that certain of their habits and cultivated traits of character are sinful, and that these things need to be confessed and crucified.

Where did I say this?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #101120
07/23/08 01:02 AM
07/23/08 01:02 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Do you see what I mean? "... an advance from one stage of perfection to another." Not an advance from one stage of imperfection to a lesser stage of imperfection until we achieve perfection. It's not a process of devolution.

I agree with what she wrote, and have been saying the same thing. I didn't say anything about advancing from one stage of imperfection to another, did I? If so, where?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #101121
07/23/08 01:06 AM
07/23/08 01:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: You didn't say "In Christ" before. It seems to me we've had this conversation before, and I pointed out the same thing, and you agreed you should say "in Christ."

I didn't say anything about it before this recent volley.

Yes, you did, but evidently forgot. You forgot the "in Christ" part. I brought this to your attention, and you agreed with me.

Quote:
I was merely addressing your observation regarding my moral perfection and whether or not I still need mercy. I answered it as you have instructed me. I thought I was being a good student.

I don't know. Is this what you really believe? Do you believe you are morally perfect? Or that you are morally perfect in Christ? Or are these both the same?

Quote:
Instead, I am implying that although people experience moral perfection the moment they crucify their old man habits of sin, their cultivated sinful traits of character, it does not mean they have learned how to obey and observe "all things whatsoever" Jesus commanded. See Matthew 28:19-20. For example, they might not have learned how to obey and observe the 7th day Sabbath before they experienced the miracle of rebirth. This is not a moral or immoral issue until they are convicted of the truth.

What I don't understand is why you single out the Sabbath. This same principle applies to any unknown behavior.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #101150
07/24/08 02:33 AM
07/24/08 02:33 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, regarding your posts #101117, 101118, and 101119 you wrote - Where did I say this? It takes too long to go back and find the quotes. Please just address the points. Thank you.

1. Do you believe the thief took certain uncrucified cultivated sinful traits of character with him to the grave? If not, do you believe he confessed and crucified all of his cultivated sinful traits and habits before he died?

2. Do you believe after the resurrection that all uncrucified cultivated sinful traits of character will be reclassified as "morally mature"? If not, will they still be considered sinful? If so, how and when will they be crucified?

3. Do you believe the Holy Spirit gradually make born again believers aware that certain of their habits and cultivated traits of character are sinful? And, does He expect them to confess and crucify them after they are convicted of the truth?

4. How do you define the difference between sins of ignorance and cultivated sinful traits of character?

5. How do you define the difference between inherited traits of character and cultivated traits of character?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #101151
07/24/08 02:51 AM
07/24/08 02:51 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Do you believe you are morally perfect? Or that you are morally perfect in Christ? Or are these both the same?

Either both are true or neither one is.

What I don't understand is why you single out the Sabbath. This same principle applies to any unknown behavior.

Would you include any of the following behaviors in 1) a list of sins of ignorance, or 2) a list of cultivated traits of character the Holy Spirit might wait to address until after a person experiences the miracle of rebirth?

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Also, what do you exclude from the phrase "and such like", that is, which behaviors do you believe do not belong in this list, behaviors the Holy Spirit might wait to address until after a person experiences the miracle of rebirth? What would He wink at before rebirth happens?

In the past you have listed polygamy as a sinful practice the Holy Spirit might wait to address until after a person experiences the miracle of rebirth; however, you have also argued that polygamy is adultery, which is a sin that prevents people from inheriting the kingdom of God (a phrase that is synonymous with rebirth and justification, see quotes below).

John
3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

1 Corinthians
6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #101162
07/24/08 06:17 PM
07/24/08 06:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Do you believe you are morally perfect? Or that you are morally perfect in Christ? Or are these both the same?

Either both are true or neither one is.

This answers the first question as "yes," which explains why you refer to yourself as morally perfect. I guess it answers the other two questions as well, since you used the word "both." This implies you see these as two different things, both of which are true.

I commented I don't understand why you restrict unknown sins to not keeping the Sabbath. You didn't explain this. I wrote the same principle applies to any unknown behavior. I don't know how your questions to me relate to my comment. Please explain the link, and I'll respond.

Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!