HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 43 44
What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? #101173
07/27/08 05:52 AM
07/27/08 05:52 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? I've often heard it taught, including this morning in SS, that it was the ordinances and statutes that Moses wrote. I don't agree.

Quote:
Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone. {PP 364.1}

Since these were also given by God (though written by Moses) and they contain the same principles as the 10 Commandments, I do not see why they would be abrogated by Christ's death. WDYT?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #101175
07/27/08 06:33 PM
07/27/08 06:33 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Asygo you are likely correct in your disagreement. The PP quotation concurs with Scripture. But you've not stated your understanding, only your disagreement.

How did you respond in the Sabbath School - what is your understanding?

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: gordonb1] #101177
07/27/08 09:07 PM
07/27/08 09:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's Col. 2:14

Quote:
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

A correct understanding of this text would have to take into account the phrase "that was against us, which was contrary to us".

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: gordonb1] #101178
07/28/08 05:50 AM
07/28/08 05:50 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: gordonb1
How did you respond in the Sabbath School

I didn't say anything. I came in just a few minutes before the end of class. Plus, it looked like they had gotten there because of questions posed during class, so I did not want to derail the whole thing. And something like this might be best handled in a more controlled environment.

Originally Posted By: gordonb1
what is your understanding?

I have to preface this by saying that I have not studied this in great depth. I'm hoping people will give me something to consider.

I don't see the statutes and ordinances themselves as being abrogated, since they are descriptions of God's character. Rather, it looks more to me like the condemnation brought by transgression of those ordinances is what was nailed. That was the handwriting that was against us. The law itself is not against us.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #101183
07/28/08 05:28 PM
07/28/08 05:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think that's what Paul had in mind as well, and for the same reason. One thing to mention is that the transgression could come as the result of trying to keep the law in order to gain God's favor. I think Paul was addressing this as well.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #101193
07/28/08 09:26 PM
07/28/08 09:26 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
One thing to mention is that the transgression could come as the result of trying to keep the law in order to gain God's favor. I think Paul was addressing this as well.

I agree. That is transgression - pride of life, in particular - and condemns us.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #101203
07/29/08 05:14 PM
07/29/08 05:14 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Asygo, you've raised (at least) two important items for consideration.

1. The many and diverse 'statutes, commandments, judgments & laws' which God purposed as further and practical illustration of the Decalogue, therefore not passing away.

2. Certain ordinances which were against God's people and were meant to be removed at the/by the cross.

As a fresh student of the Bible some years back, many of the statutes and judgments made sense. They appeared to be for the benefit of God's children, not against them. (Though few seemed aware they existed).

Like the Ten, one would only truly follow these by faith. They are not salvation but a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ. While I observe that many 'keep' the letter of the Ten, in spirit many of us are in rebellion. Perhaps for this reason the true import of the statutes & judgments are yet to be revealed.

In my present thinking, as before, these statutes are to protect us, and are not removed at the cross. Ceremonial laws such as animal sacrifices have fulfilled their purpose in pointing the Circumcised (ancient Israel) to the Seed (Christ) in their loins. The rituals could not keep them from sin and the honest (then & now) admit this. Faith is the key and Christ came to establish this faith in the hearts of contrite followers.

Of course those who follow Him by faith will be scorned and ridiculed, but God is seeking such "repairers of the breach" at this critical juncture in history. Soon Christ will come and the scorners will be toast notwithstanding their church office, etc.

I came across a small booklet by Ken LeBrun "The Elijah People and the Lost Law" which seemed to echo my (our) understanding that the statutes & judgments endure. It's a Bible/SOP compilation from Teach Services.

Your question is important esp. if we believe that time is almost up. But many today preach peace & safety when the world is about to be (further and finally) ripped apart by the winds of strife. Good topic. It deserves attention.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #101204
07/29/08 11:05 PM
07/29/08 11:05 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: asygo
What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? I've often heard it taught, including this morning in SS, that it was the ordinances and statutes that Moses wrote. I don't agree.

Quote:
Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone. {PP 364.1}

Since these were also given by God (though written by Moses) and they contain the same principles as the 10 Commandments, I do not see why they would be abrogated by Christ's death. WDYT?

Hi asygo,

As I understand it Paul's use of the word "law" is talking about the Old Covenant God entered with Israel. Because Israel, for centuries, broke the terms of the covenant it stood as a witness against them, revealing their sin and rebellion. The OC was an agreement between themselves and God that they were willing to become a special people for the purpose of working with God to bring salvation, the gospel, to the world.

If you read Exodus 19-24 very carefully you will see that God saved Israel from Pharaoh and his army, from Egypt, through the red sea, from starvation with the manna, from thirst through the rock, from the snakes through trust in a symbol of Christ on the cross. God saved Israel because of His goodness, in keeping His promise to Abraham, and then entered covenant with them. Salvation was first and then the covenant. Israel mistook God's offer, to make them a special treasure, as a system of works in order to obtain salvation. They really believed that they earned God grace by keeping the terms of the covenant.

All of the Old Covenant was nailed to the cross including the 10 commandments and the ceremonies, not because there was a problem with the law, but because there was a problem with the hearts of the people. Now God has used Israel's blessed Messiah, whom they rejected and killed, to offer a NC to the whole world based on the fact that all of the principles embracing Israel's covenant will be written on the heart. Love will become the motive for obedience because the love of God has been made manifest in Jesus and now we can know Him and trust Him. What the law could not accomplish Jesus dying accomplished for all who will believe.

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #101392
08/07/08 09:09 PM
08/07/08 09:09 PM
H
Harold Fair  Offline
Active Member 2013
Florida, USA
>>All of the Old Covenant was nailed to the cross including the 10 commandments and the ceremonies, >>

I would like to know where you learned that. If the commandments were nailed to the cross, why does Jesus say that if you love Him, you will keep His Commandments? Why is that repeated many times in the NT as a means of salvation? Rev.12:17, Rev. 14:12, Rev.22:14 to name a few.

Harold.

Harold T.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Harold Fair] #101395
08/07/08 10:22 PM
08/07/08 10:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
He's not saying the commandments were nailed to the cross, but the Old Covenant. The Old Covenant was the attempt of the people to make themselves righteous by means of obeying the law. The law was fine, but not the covenant. To replace the OC, God established the New:

Quote:
31Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. (Jer 31:31-34)

In the New Covenant, rather than seeking to establish our own righteousness, we accept the righteousness of Christ. Instead of being written on tables of stone, it is written in the heart.

Btw, this isn't my interpretation, but I thought I understood Scott's idea well enough to comment.

Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!