HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 44 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 43 44
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #102675
09/15/08 02:59 PM
09/15/08 02:59 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
by scott: Both the health laws and tithing predate the law.

by Rosangela: I disagree. The law was given before the health laws and tithing.

If you are talking “the law” in terms of God’s character then I agree, but if you are talking about “the law” in terms of the 10 Commandments then you have no biblical proof of what you say. Of course there is a right way and a wrong way and love has always been the right way. The 10C, however, were not given until Sinai.

Quote:
By scott: After Sinai if one ate unclean meat or even came in contact with it they were ceremonially unclean. They were actually punished, punitively, for breaking the law.

by Rosangela: No. Differently from what the rabbies taught, according to the written law the person didn’t become unclean for coming in contact with unclean animals. Interestingly, those who should venture to eat unclean meat would make themselves abominable and there was no cleansing ritual by which they could become clean again.

I find it interesting how you start your comments with “No” and then proceed to validate my point. My point was that the health laws and tithing predate the OC law. Here is what I said:

Quote:
by scott: both the health laws and tithing predate the law. They were principles before the law existed and principles never change. The principle behind the clean and unclean is health and is a natural law. If you eat pork you might well die of disease. God warned us about the health risks long before Sinai. After Sinai if one ate unclean meat or even came in contact with it they were ceremonially unclean. They were actually punished, punitively, for breaking the law.

Do you disagree that the health laws and tithing predated the law? Or are you arguing a minute point that I’m not making.

Quote:
By scott: The principle of tithing was established with Abraham over 400 years before Sinai. Abraham gave a tenth out of gratitude and respect for the work of the priesthood.

by Rosangela: According to this view, Abraham established the practice and God liked the idea and adopted it into the OC. Is this what you are saying?

Most of the individual pieces of the OC existed in other forms before God gathered them all together into the OC. Very little was new other than God changing the pagan meaning to a prophecy of Jesus and salvation. God doesn’t have a problem speaking to us in our language. In fact God doesn’t have a problem veiling His divinity in our flesh to disarm our fear and prejudice.

Quote:
By Rosangela: Nothing was written before Sinai – neither the clean/unclean laws, nor the tithing law, nor the 10-commandment law, nor any other law. This doesn’t mean these laws didn’t exist.

That was my point exactly when I said:

Quote:
by scott: Both the health laws and tithing predate the law. They were principles before the law existed and principles never change. The principle behind the clean and unclean is health and is a natural law. If you eat pork you might well die of disease. God warned us about the health risks long before Sinai. After Sinai if one ate unclean meat or even came in contact with it they were ceremonially unclean. They were actually punished, punitively, for breaking the law.

This is no longer so!!!!!! It is as it was before the law. Christ dying on the cross didn’t make unclean meat healthy to eat no more than wearing white makes a prostitute a virgin! The principle behind the law, natural health, is still there, but we are no longer under the penal system of the law!

Quote:
By Rosangela: If you remember, the chapter about Noah doesn’t specify which animals are clean and which are unclean. (This law, by the way, was given not to Noah, but to Adam, since only sacrifices of clean animals should be offered.)

The bible doesn’t say anything about vegetarianism, but it’s interesting how the principles of kindness and the knowledge that there will be no killing in heaven stimulates groups to put away flesh eating. There is a law greater than the OC in moving us to obey the principles of Christ.

Quote:
By Rosangela: Scott, our disagreement has to do with Eph. 2:15, which speaks about a law which was abolished on the cross. This law can’t be the 10-commandment law because Rom. 3:31 says that that law wasn’t abolished on the cross. Either it was abolished or it wasn’t – it can’t be both! So either these verses are speaking about two different laws or Paul contradicted himself. Which is it?

Actually we will never agree on this because I interpret the words in the text according to the context and you change the context by looking at the words as if they were written in a medical journal or a spec book. Greek and Hebrew can’t be read that way. Word inspiration compared to thought inspiration. The word "abolished" is no stronger than "obsolete", "nailed to the cross", "no longer under", "ministration of death", or "passing away".

Paul is simply saying, in every way he could think of, that God doesn't condemn us like the OC declares us guilty, but that He is forgiving and willing to save anyone who will believe that He is as His Son revealed Him to be as He put into effect the NC by revealing God's grace through His incarnation, life, death, and resurrection.

The good news is that God is like Jesus and not like Israel thought He was.

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #102687
09/15/08 05:34 PM
09/15/08 05:34 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
By Scott: If you are talking “the law” in terms of God’s character then I agree, but if you are talking about “the law” in terms of the 10 Commandments then you have no biblical proof of what you say.

I'm talking about the law in terms of the 10 commandments. I presented the biblical proof and you didn’t comment on it. “Sin is not imputed when there is no law.” Once sin was imputed before Sinai, this means the law existed before Sinai. You claim that God gave laws about clean/unclean animals and tithing, which are peripheral issues, but didn’t give human beings the knowledge of His moral law, which defines sin. How could sin be imputed if people didn’t even know what sin was?
That the law existed before Sinai is obvious. When the people transgressed the Sabbath on their way to Sinai, God said, "How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws?” (Exo. 16:28), which shows that they already had a knowledge of the Sabbath as part of God’s law.

Quote:
I find it interesting how you start your comments with “No” and then proceed to validate my point. My point was that the health laws and tithing predate the OC law.

I by no means validated your point. I said several laws were already known before Sinai, including, obviously, the moral law (meaning the 10C, which are the 2C of love expressed in a way adequate to sinful beings).

Quote:
Do you disagree that the health laws and tithing predated the law? Or are you arguing a minute point that I’m not making.

Yes, as I had already said, I disagree that the health laws and tithing predate the moral law. But in this item specifically I was disagreeing with your statement that the Israelites “were actually punished, punitively, for breaking the law” of clean/unclean animals. There was no punishment specified in the OC for breaking this law.

Quote:
by Rosangela: According to this view, Abraham established the practice and God liked the idea and adopted it into the OC. Is this what you are saying?
By Scott: Most of the individual pieces of the OC existed in other forms before God gathered them all together into the OC.

The laws that God had given previously were gathered into the OC, not practices that human beings had created.

Quote:
Very little was new other than God changing the pagan meaning to a prophecy of Jesus and salvation.

??? What are you referring to?

Quote:
By Rosangela: If you remember, the chapter about Noah doesn’t specify which animals are clean and which are unclean.
By Scott: The bible doesn’t say anything about vegetarianism, but it’s interesting how the principles of kindness and the knowledge that there will be no killing in heaven stimulates groups to put away flesh eating. There is a law greater than the OC in moving us to obey the principles of Christ.

Our knowledge is not enough, even today, to determine what is clean and what is not, and why. Why, for instance, are piranhas clean animals, since they are not only carnivores but scavengers?

Quote:
By Rosangela: Scott, our disagreement has to do with Eph. 2:15
By Scott: Actually we will never agree on this

I agree.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #102696
09/15/08 06:48 PM
09/15/08 06:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
MM: What does "under the law to Christ" mean?

TE: I don't see that this phrase exists anywhere except here in your question.

Posted above, reposted here:

1 Corinthians
9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

Originally Posted By: Tom
MM: Does "under the law" ever mean under obligation to live in harmony with the principles of the law?

TE: Not in Scripture. Of course, that doesn't mean the principle isn't true; it is. It just not expressed by Paul in the words translated "under the law."

The following two passages seem to refer to people who are under obligation to obey the law, which includes everyone.

"Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law." Romans 3:19.

"And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; to them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law." 1 Cor 9:20, 21.

[1 Cor 9:20, 21 quoted] The Gentiles, Paul approached by exalting Christ, and then presenting the binding claims of the law. He showed how the light reflected by the cross of Calvary gave significance and glory to the whole Jewish economy. {GW 118.2}

[1 Cor 9:20, 21 quoted] To the Gentiles, he preached Christ as their only hope of salvation but did not at first have anything definite to say upon the law. But after their hearts were warmed with the presentation of Christ as the gift of God to our world, and what was comprehended in the work of the Redeemer in the costly sacrifice to manifest the love of God to man, in the most eloquent simplicity he showed that love for all mankind--Jew and Gentile--that they might be saved by surrendering their hearts to Him. Thus when, melted and subdued, they gave themselves to the Lord, he presented the law of God as the test of their obedience. This was the manner of working-- adapting his methods to win souls. Had he been abrupt and unskillful in handling the Word, he would not have reached either Jew or Gentile. {SW 77.2}

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Mountain Man] #102711
09/15/08 10:11 PM
09/15/08 10:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
1 Corinthians
9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

The "under the law" here is not "under the law" in the Greek. I was thinking this was in Romans somewhere, but it looks like you found the exception I was talking about.

Quote:
He does not in the Greek (as in English Version) say "under the law (as he does in 1Co 9:20) to Christ"; but uses the milder term, "in . law," responsible to law.(http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/9-21.htm)

You mentioned two passages. The one from 1 Cor 9:21 is not "under the law" in the Greek. Regarding the one from Rom. 3:19

Quote:
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law; that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight; for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe.

Within the Law. This is not the place to consider the force of the term "under the law," since it does not really occur here. It should be "in the law," as in Romans 2:12, for the Greek words are the same in both places. The words for "under the law" are entirely different. Why the translators have given us "under the law" in this place, and also in 1 Corinthians 9:21, where the term is also "in the law," as noted in Young's Concordance, it is impossible to determine. (Waggoner on Romans)

Ok, so there's 2 exceptions, not just 1. I was remembering correctly that 1 was in Romans, but thought there was just 1, not 2. So you found both exceptions.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #102712
09/15/08 10:16 PM
09/15/08 10:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Our knowledge is not enough, even today, to determine what is clean and what is not, and why.

Do you think it would have been practical for God to have listed all of the tens of thousands of species that are not healthy to eat? He gave practical guidelines that could be followed. That doesn't mean it's OK to eat anything not on the list.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #102737
09/16/08 04:31 PM
09/16/08 04:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, what is the difference between "under [obligation to obey] the law" and "in the law"? Following are three versions:

Romans
2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned under law shall be judged by law. (RV)

2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. (NIV)

2:12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law. (NASB)

Romans
3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it speaketh to them that are under the law; that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may be brought under the judgment of God. (RV)

3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. (NIV)

3:19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God. (NASB)

1 Corinthians
3:19 To them that are without law, as without law, not being without law to God, but under law to Christ, that I might gain them that are without law. (RV)

3:19 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. (NIV)

3:19 To those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. (NASB)

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #102739
09/16/08 05:03 PM
09/16/08 05:03 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: Our knowledge is not enough, even today, to determine what is clean and what is not, and why.
T: Do you think it would have been practical for God to have listed all of the tens of thousands of species that are not healthy to eat? He gave practical guidelines that could be followed. That doesn't mean it's OK to eat anything not on the list.

I'm not sure you understood what I said. Scott's argument is that we don't need the guidelines of Leviticus to know which animals should be eaten and which shouldn't. I said not even science can discern which animals are safe to eat and which are not, and why.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #102745
09/16/08 06:06 PM
09/16/08 06:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You asked this:

Quote:
Our knowledge is not enough, even today, to determine what is clean and what is not, and why. Why, for instance, are piranhas clean animals, since they are not only carnivores but scavengers?

How does the fact that piranhas are clean animals establish the point that our knowledge is not enough, even today, to determine what is clean and what is not?

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #102764
09/16/08 07:39 PM
09/16/08 07:39 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
Quote:

by Scott: If you are talking “the law” in terms of God’s character then I agree, but if you are talking about “the law” in terms of the 10 Commandments then you have no biblical proof of what you say.

by Rosangela: I'm talking about the law in terms of the 10 commandments. I presented the biblical proof and you didn’t comment on it. “Sin is not imputed when there is no law.” Once sin was imputed before Sinai, this means the law existed before Sinai. You claim that God gave laws about clean/unclean animals and tithing, which are peripheral issues, but didn’t give human beings the knowledge of His moral law, which defines sin. How could sin be imputed if people didn’t even know what sin was?
That the law existed before Sinai is obvious. When the people transgressed the Sabbath on their way to Sinai, God said, "How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws?” (Exo. 16:28), which shows that they already had a knowledge of the Sabbath as part of God’s law.

Rosangela,

You are making the point that Romans 5:13 is saying that sin was imputed before Sinai and before the 10 Commandments were given. Therefore the 10 Commandments were given in Eden?

You might want to read the whole context of Romans 5:13 "For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law."

This text, by itself, says exactly the opposite of what you are saying. This text says that sin was in the world, but not imputed until the law. This statement shows that the law was much later than sin!

Your other text, "How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws?” (Exo. 16:28) was given after God gave instructions to Israel not to glean manna on the Sabbath and then they went and did it anyway. This doesn’t reference Eden, but the instructions given to Moses when the manna was given!

Basically your text doesn’t prove your point at all, but just the opposite.

Sabbath, the clean and unclean, and tithing were not a matter of law until the Sinai. They were a matter of conscience just like they are now since we are no longer under the law!

Quote:
By Rosangela: How could sin be imputed if people didn’t even know what sin was?

Sin is rebellion against God and I guarantee you that everyone who is in rebellion against God knows it! Your statement reduces sin to behavior. Paul is talking about how God views us and considers us even though we are in rebellion!

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #102778
09/16/08 09:31 PM
09/16/08 09:31 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: Our knowledge is not enough, even today, to determine what is clean and what is not, and why. Why, for instance, are piranhas clean animals, since they are not only carnivores but scavengers?
T: How does the fact that piranhas are clean animals establish the point that our knowledge is not enough, even today, to determine what is clean and what is not?

Please read the following article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041027113643.htm

All the carnivores/scavengers are classified in the Bible as unclean. The only exception I'm aware of is the piranha. The article itself gives the scientific reason for this: "Most of the species avoided for the ill include species high on the food chain. These fish are more likely to accumulate toxins." The same holds true for other carnivores/scavengers (non-fish). So, according to scientific knowledge, and according to the logical rule followed by the classification of clean/unclean animals, piranhas should be classified as unclean, but they are clean. Why? We have to depend on the Bible here, for we do not know the reason for this.

Page 20 of 44 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!