HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,198
Posts195,591
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, TruthinTypes, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Tom] #102983
09/21/08 03:25 AM
09/21/08 03:25 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
He is not rejecting what I believe by saying, “Not as some imposed penalty by a divine dictator.” I do not believe God arbitrarily imposes penalty like a dictator. But what is he rejecting? What does he believe about the role of law and justice as a reason for why suffering exists?

He is rejecting the idea that "law and justice" is arbitrary. What "arbitrary" means here is not "whimsical" or "capricious," but something that God causes to happen that only happens because of His action, with no intrinsic or inherent reason for its happening. So when he says "Not as some imposed penalty by a divine dictator" he means not as something applied arbitrarily but due to a natural consequence of the choice made.

In other words, when one chooses to live selfishly, to sin, one chooses death, because sin and death are inseparable. Here's how Waggoner puts it:

Quote:
Sin has death wrapped up in it. Without sin death would be impossible, for "the sting of death is sin." 1Cor.15:56...."The sting of death is sin." 1Cor.15:56. So we have the substance of verse 10 thus, that those who do not continue in the things written in the law are dead. That is, disobedience is death. And this is what the Scripture says: "When lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin; and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." Sin contains death, and men out of Christ are "dead in trespasses and sins." It matters not that they walk about seemingly full of life, the words of Christ are, "Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you." John 6:53. "She that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth." 1Tim.5:6. It is a living death--a body of death--that is endured. Rom.7:24. Sin is the transgression of the law; the wages of sin is death. The curse, therefore, is the death that is carried about concealed even in the most attractive sin. "Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them." (The Glad Tidings)

Sin and death are inseparable. Death is to sin what the oak tree is to the acorn. One could say that sin leads to death because of law and justice in the same sense that one can say that the acorn becomes an oak because of law and justice.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Tom] #102985
09/21/08 03:53 AM
09/21/08 03:53 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:I believe you're stating it differently than the author did. It's fine for you to state things in your own words, but if you do so you should keep the original meaning. I don't think you're doing that here. In particular, you state "that God allows suffering for one reason." This implies not just necessity but sufficiency. I don't believe the author was arguing for this, but I'm open to change my mind if you will produce something to substantiate your assertion here.

MM:What other reasons does he give for why he believes suffering exists? I didn’t read any other reason he gave in his article that answers the question he was addressing. He says, “Why is there evil and suffering? Because the Devil chose this way, which is the opposite of God.” What other answer did he give?

If one considers how evil came into being, this answer is exactly correct. It's because this is what the Devil chose. There's no need to say more than this. But you need to consider the context of statements that are made MM! You can't fairly take what an author writes in one place, in a given context, and then make it say something different, without regard to the intent of the author and the context in which he is writing.

Quote:
Then he asks, “How can we say that God is uncaring, that he willingly allows sin and suffering?” Here he seems to imply God does not willingly allow sin and suffering, that He grudgingly goes along with it.

I agree with this. God is not a sadist. He certainly takes no pleasure in our suffering.

Quote:
What choice did God have?

God's choices were to either grudgingly allow suffering, or to allow Satan and his followers to immediately reap the full of their sin. Had God chosen the latter, it would have allowed a seed of doubt to come about as evil seed to produce deadly fruit later on. God chose to allow the principles of Satan's government to be developed so the truth could be seen.

Quote:
Next he wrote, “So often we or the Devil cause evil, and then all of us blame God!”

Boy, this is the truth!

Quote:
Does God just stand around and watch while we or the Devil cause evil? Doesn’t He have to allow it? Are we or the Devil really that free to go around at will and cause evil whenever and however we please?

We are very free. Pretty much any evil you can think of doing you can do. I'm sure there are some exceptions to this, but percentage-wise I'm sure that well over 99% of the evil you could purpose to do, you could do.

Quote:
Are there not 4 angels holding back the 4 winds of human passion?

How does this tie into what the author is saying?

Quote:
The author follows up by saying, “We have bought into the Devil’s way, and experience the consequences of trying to go our own way. Not under the punitive hostility of God, but because choosing wrong instead of right has its own natural results.” Here he seems to be saying that the consequences of evil choices are fixed by natural law, which implies neither God, nor Satan, has any say so.

This last doesn't follow. That is, "the consequences of evil choices are fixed by natural law" does not imply "neither God, nor Satan, has any say so." This assertion is wrong.

Quote:
But I hear you saying Satan controls the outcome of evil choices. Did I misunderstand your view?

Yes, you've misunderstood. I've never said this. Satan inspires, or tempts, people to make evil choices, and evil results follow. Also Satan invented the principle of selfishness, and when people buy into this principle, bad results follow. This is what I've said.

Quote:
He also implies God never causes suffering, that it is always the result of natural law. Earlier he implied God didn't cause the Flood.

What?? No, he never said anything like this. You're just reading this into what he said. You're way off base here.

Quote:
Actually, I hear him saying suffering exists because evil choices follow fixed laws, that the Devil merely got the ball rolling. Nevertheless, I agree with what you wrote, namely, that there are times when God gives evil angels permission to inflict people with suffering. But this doesn’t explain all the reasons why suffering exists. Sometimes God causes it Himself. Other times He commands holy angels to cause suffering.

Ok, this is an interesting line of thought. The author hasn't addressed this. It would be interesting to know how he would answer your question here. I really have no idea how he would.

At any rate, regardless of how he would address your line of thought here (which would, again, be an interesting question to put to him) the basic point would remain, which is that suffering exists because of a principle the Devil invented, and it continues to exist because it is necessary for this principle to be worked out. Wouldn't this would be true even if God were responsible for causing the flood or other events that you see Him as responsible for?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Tom] #102992
09/21/08 03:42 PM
09/21/08 03:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
TE: God sets a hedge around people so that Satan doesn't go beyond what God allows.

MM: You mean like a filter which allows certain things through? I'm trying to visualize this concept. How does God ensure evil angels do not victimize people beyond His limits? Do holy angels physically restrain evil angels thereby preventing people from being victimized beyond the boundaries God established? How does this work in practical terms? Do you know of an analogy that helps explain it?

TE: Consider the book of Job. I don't think I can improve upon that.

In the book of Job it seems as if the evil angels simply obeyed God and didn't attempt to do anything more or less than God ordained. Is that it works? Are evil angels always so obedient?

Quote:
TE: The cross revealed evil for what it truly is. Nothing will reveal it more clearly than that. The chapter "It Is Finished" goes into this. The cross is what most fully reveals good and evil, God and Satan.

MM: How does this explain why suffering exists?

TE: I said The cross revealed evil for what it truly is.

Yes, that's what you said, but how does this explain why suffering exists?

Quote:
MM: Well, you and I both believe the artificial conditions that were created when God implemented the plan of salvation altered the cause and effect relationship between evil choices and natural law.

TE: I wouldn't put it exactly like this, but I agree with the basic idea you're expressing here.

I'm glad we agree. I probably learned it studying with you.

Quote:
MM: God leaves nothing to chance or choice.

TE: It depends upon what you mean by this. This could be true taken one way and false another. Certainly "leaving things to chance" projects a negative idea. However, God certainly permits random things to happen.

How do you know what is random? Are you sure God wasn't involved somehow? Does anything happen that God doesn't cause, command, or consent?

Quote:
MM: If He did, the GC would have ended in failure before the Flood. In fact, the Flood made it possible for the GC to continue, otherwise, the entire human race would have rejected God. The same can be said of the Tower of Babel.

TE: If your point here is that God takes actions to enable the GC to be fought, I agree with this. If God allowed Satan to destroy everybody, for example, then no one would be left to make decisions regarding the GC.

Are you sure Satan would destroy everybody? What makes you think he would? How would it serve his purpose?

Quote:
MM: He also says - "Those who have chosen the Devil’s way will be allowed their choice of final non-existence in the end-time destruction." What is this supposed to mean?

TE: It means this: "The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God."

MM: He makes it sound like their final choice consists of one option, and that once that decision is made they simply cease to exist - poof, just like that, they're gone. It isn't described that way in the sacred writings.

TE: What he wrote squares with what Ellen White wrote, as far as I can tell. It looks like he's basically just paraphrasing things Ellen White wrote. If one is familiar with Ellen White's writings, it's pretty easy to see where he got the ideas he's sharing from. For example, GC 543 and DA 764. Their exclusion from heaven is "voluntary with themselves." From DA 764, "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life."

This sounds to me very similar to what the author is saying.

It looks likes he is omitting the role of justice and judgment, penalty and punishment. What about Ellen's description of sinners suffering in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness in the punishing fires and flames?

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Mountain Man] #102994
09/21/08 04:07 PM
09/21/08 04:07 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
In the book of Job it seems as if the evil angels simply obeyed God and didn't attempt to do anything more or less than God ordained. Is that it works? Are evil angels always so obedient?

I'm not getting these questions. What do you base your conclusion on? What's the point of these questions. Especially the last one, which seems a rather absurd question to ask. But you must have some reason for asking it. Evil angels "obedient". Really, now.

Quote:

T: I said The cross revealed evil for what it truly is.

MM:Yes, that's what you said, but how does this explain why suffering exists?

I was responding to your comment that we haven't seen evil as it really is.

Quote:
How do you know what is random? Are you sure God wasn't involved somehow? Does anything happen that God doesn't cause, command, or consent?

The fact that God consents to something happening does not mean it is not random. Also that some things are random doesn't imply everything is. I'm not suggesting that.

Quote:
Are you sure Satan would destroy everybody? What makes you think he would? How would it serve his purpose?

If everyone were destroyed, then God's purpose viz a viz the human race could not be obtained.

Quote:
It looks likes he is omitting the role of justice and judgment, penalty and punishment. What about Ellen's description of sinners suffering in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness in the punishing fires and flames?

I wouldn't say that he's omitting the role that you mentioned, but that he would see it as incorporated in the principles he laid out. He was rejecting the view of an arbitrarily laid out system, which is how he would likely view your perspective of things.

Regarding the duration of sinners suffering in proportion to their sinfulness, that is just a guess, since he wasn't discussing this in what he wrote, but my guess is that his view would be similar to mine, that people suffering in proportion to their sinfulness not because of an arbitrary action on the part of God to make them suffer (like burning them) but because their guilt and their conscience cause this to happen when truth is revealed. Actually I should credit Ty Gibson for this idea, since I probably got it from him, and he explains it better than anyone else I know of.

But, again, this is just a guess since the author didn't comment on this.

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Mountain Man] #102995
09/21/08 04:45 PM
09/21/08 04:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
He is rejecting the idea that "law and justice" is arbitrary. What "arbitrary" means here is not "whimsical" or "capricious," but something that God causes to happen that only happens because of His action, with no intrinsic or inherent reason for its happening. So when he says "Not as some imposed penalty by a divine dictator" he means not as something applied arbitrarily but due to a natural consequence of the choice made.

Why would anything God does be labeled arbitrary, regardless of which definition is used? Everything in the OT that God caused, commanded, or consented to fall under the definition you gave. For example, there is nothing natural about capital punishment in the cases where God commanded Moses to stone people to death. Death was certainly imposed, right?

Originally Posted By: tom
Sin and death are inseparable. Death is to sin what the oak tree is to the acorn. One could say that sin leads to death because of law and justice in the same sense that one can say that the acorn becomes an oak because of law and justice.

This is true of the second death scenario, but it is not true of the first death scenario. The implementation of the plan of salvation created an artificial, unnatural environment in which sinners do not die in the same day they sin. A long, lingering life of sin resulting in “sleep” is totally artificial, totally unnatural. Sinners, both men and angels, are kept alive synthetically by the power of God.

What gives God the right to violate the law in this way? How does He justify upsetting the natural order of things? Is it because God is God and He can do whatever He wants to do? This doesn’t make sense to me. Instead of making something happen He is making something not happen, which is “arbitrary” according to your preferred the definition.

God is obligated to obey the law. He has promised to rule free moral agents in harmony with the precepts and principles of His law. He is obligated to keep His promise. He cannot disregard the law to serve a purpose disallowed by the law. Law and justice require God to punish and destroy sinners in the same day they sin. “By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” {6BC 1095.4}

Ellen explains what God did to save sinners and to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice. Because He has bound Himself to uphold law and justice, God had to justify giving sinners probationary time instead of punishing and destroying them in the same day they sinned. It has as much to do about preserving the integrity of the law as it does about saving sinners. Saving the law is as important as saving lawbreakers. Here’s what she wrote about it:

Quote:
What right had Christ to take the captives out of the enemy's hands?--The right of having made a sacrifice that satisfies the principles of justice by which the kingdom of heaven is governed. He came to this earth as the Redeemer of the lost race, to conquer the wily foe, and, by His steadfast allegiance to right, to save all who accept Him as their Saviour. On the cross of Calvary He paid the redemption price of the race. And thus He gained the right to take the captives from the grasp of the great deceiver, who, by a lie, framed against the government of God, caused the fall of man, and thus forfeited all claim to be called a loyal subject of God's glorious everlasting kingdom. {1SM 309.4}

It is the Father's prerogative to forgive our transgressions and sins, because Christ has taken upon Himself our guilt and reprieved us, imputing to us His own righteousness. His sacrifice satisfies fully the demands of justice. {FW 103.3}

Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

Jesus suffered the extreme penalty of the law for our transgression, and justice was fully satisfied. The law is not abrogated; it has not lost one jot of its force. Instead, it stands forth in holy dignity, Christ's death on the cross testifying to its immutability. Its demands have been met, its authority maintained. {HP 15.3}

Christ has made a sacrifice to satisfy the demands of justice. What a price for Heaven to pay to ransom the transgressor of the law of Jehovah. Yet that holy law could not be maintained with any smaller price. In the place of the law being abolished to meet sinful man in his fallen condition, it has been maintained in all its sacred dignity. In His Son, God gave Himself to save from eternal ruin all who would believe in Him. {UL 378.4}

Does God turn from justice in showing mercy to the sinner? No; God cannot dishonor His law by suffering it to be transgressed with impunity. Under the new covenant, perfect obedience is the condition of life. If the sinner repents and confesses his sins, he will find pardon. By Christ's sacrifice in his behalf, forgiveness is secured for him. Christ has satisfied the demands of the law for every repentant, believing sinner. . . The atonement that has been made for us by Christ is wholly and abundantly satisfactory to the Father. God can be just, and yet the justifier of those who believe. {AG 138.5}

Sin is disloyalty to God, and is deserving of punishment. . . The law of God stands vindicated by the suffering and death of the only begotten Son of the infinite God. The transgression of God's law in a single instance, in the smallest particular, is sin. And the nonexecution of the penalty of that sin would be a crime in the divine administration. God is a judge, the Avenger of justice, which is the habitation and the foundation of His throne. He cannot dispense with His law; He cannot do away with its smallest item in order to meet and pardon sin. The rectitude, justice, and moral excellence of the law must be maintained and vindicated before the heavenly universe and the worlds unfallen. {UL 378.6}

Since Satan is the originator of sin, the direct instigator of all the sins that caused the death of the Son of God, justice demands that Satan shall suffer the final punishment. Christ's work for the redemption of men and the purification of the universe from sin will be closed by the removal of sin from the heavenly sanctuary and the placing of these sins upon Satan, who will bear the final penalty. So in the typical service, the yearly round of ministration closed with the purification of the sanctuary, and the confessing of the sins on the head of the scapegoat. {PP 358.2}

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Mountain Man] #102996
09/21/08 05:51 PM
09/21/08 05:51 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Why would anything God does be labeled arbitrary, regardless of which definition is used? Everything in the OT that God caused, commanded, or consented to fall under the definition you gave. For example, there is nothing natural about capital punishment in the cases where God commanded Moses to stone people to death. Death was certainly imposed, right?

Here's what the author said:

Quote:
We have bought into the Devil’s way, and experience the consequences of trying to go our own way. Not under the punitive hostility of God, but because choosing wrong instead of right has its own natural results. Tragically, such a viewpoint does lead to death, just as God said it would. Not as some imposed penalty by a divine dictator, but the inevitable result foreseen by a loving Creator.

This is dealing with death as the consequence of sin, with what occurs in the final judgment. "Arbitrary" is a fine word to use in this context, and is the word Ellen White herself used in DA 764.

Quote:
This is true of the second death scenario, but it is not true of the first death scenario.

The context of the author's comments is the second death.

I think what helps in understanding what Christ's death accomplished is to consider what the problem was. Here is a description of it:

Quote:
In heaven itself this law was broken. Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken.(DA 21)

Continuing on, she describes the solution:

Quote:
This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 22)

She also deals with this theme here:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (ST 1/20/90)

A quote you mentioned recently fits in well here:

Quote:
Christ knew that no one could obey the law in his own strength. He desired to lead the lawyer to clearer and more critical research that he might find the truth. Only by accepting the virtue and grace of Christ can we keep the law. Belief in the propitiation for sin enables fallen man to love God with his whole heart and his neighbor as himself.(COL 378)

The only way man could keep the law, which is equivalent to saying the only way man could be brought back into harmony with God, which is equivalent to saying the only way man could be reconciled to God, is by belief in the propitiation. Thus Christ's sacrifice was necessary in order to unite God and man. Here's how Peter puts it:

Quote:
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God.(1 Pet. 3:18)

Now in the ST quote, EGW describes Christ's work of revealing God as the "whole purpose" of His ministry. Since this is the "whole purpose" of it, whatever law an justice required is encapsulated in that. There can't be some other, additional requirement that is not included in what is called the "whole purpose" of Christ's ministry, as in this case it wouldn't be the "whole purpose" but a partial purpose.

That it should be the whole purpose makes perfect sense. After all, the problem is that man and God had been separated by sin. So if God provides a way by which He and man can be reconciled, then the problem is solved.

Quote:
On the cross of Calvary He paid the redemption price of the race. And thus He gained the right to take the captives from the grasp of the great deceiver, who, by a lie, framed against the government of God, caused the fall of man, and thus forfeited all claim to be called a loyal subject of God's glorious everlasting kingdom.

To comment on this a bit, how are the captives of the great deceiver taken from him? By force? No, by the revelation of truth. This fits into her idea expressed in ST 1/20/90 that the whole purpose of Christ's ministry was the revelation of God, in order to set men right. Note that the deceive obtained his captives by way of a lie against God. Therefore the way the captives were won back was by way of revealing the truth about God.

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Tom] #102997
09/21/08 06:32 PM
09/21/08 06:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: I believe you're stating it differently than the author did. It's fine for you to state things in your own words, but if you do so you should keep the original meaning. I don't think you're doing that here. In particular, you state "that God allows suffering for one reason." This implies not just necessity but sufficiency. I don't believe the author was arguing for this, but I'm open to change my mind if you will produce something to substantiate your assertion here.

MM: What other reasons does he give for why he believes suffering exists? I didn’t read any other reason he gave in his article that answers the question he was addressing. He says, “Why is there evil and suffering? Because the Devil chose this way, which is the opposite of God.” What other answer did he give?

TE: If one considers how evil came into being, this answer is exactly correct. It's because this is what the Devil chose. There's no need to say more than this. But you need to consider the context of statements that are made MM! You can't fairly take what an author writes in one place, in a given context, and then make it say something different, without regard to the intent of the author and the context in which he is writing.

Are you saying the author argues God allows suffering for one reason – Because this is what the Devil chose?

Quote:
MM: Then he asks, “How can we say that God is uncaring, that he willingly allows sin and suffering?” Here he seems to imply God does not willingly allow sin and suffering, that He grudgingly goes along with it.

TE: I agree with this. God is not a sadist. He certainly takes no pleasure in our suffering.

MM: What choice did God have?

TE: God's choices were to either grudgingly allow suffering, or to allow Satan and his followers to immediately reap the full of their sin. Had God chosen the latter, it would have allowed a seed of doubt to come about as evil seed to produce deadly fruit later on. God chose to allow the principles of Satan's government to be developed so the truth could be seen.

God grudgingly permits Satan to cause suffering to demonstrate that the way of evil is wrong. Does this idea account for all the suffering that has happened since the fall of our First Parents? Is this the one and only reason why suffering exists? What about the millions who suffered and died in the Flood? What about the fiery death and destruction of the inhabitants of Sodom? What about the ten plagues that caused widespread suffering and death in Egypt?

Quote:
MM: Next he wrote, “So often we or the Devil cause evil, and then all of us blame God!”

TE: Boy, this is the truth!

MM: Does God just stand around and watch while we or the Devil cause evil? Doesn’t He have to allow it? Are we or the Devil really that free to go around at will and cause evil whenever and however we please?

TE: We are very free. Pretty much any evil you can think of doing you can do. I'm sure there are some exceptions to this, but percentage-wise I'm sure that well over 99% of the evil you could purpose to do, you could do.

1. What gives God the right to intervene and prevent evil outcomes in 1% of the cases you alluded to?

2. Why doesn’t He exercise this right in more cases?

3. What are the factors He weighs in deciding when to intervene and when not to intervene in the outcome of evil choices?

4. And, what would He say to comfort the mother whose daughter was abused because God chose not to intervene?

Quote:
MM: Are there not 4 angels holding back the 4 winds of human passion?

TE: How does this tie into what the author is saying?

It speaks to why suffering plays out the way it does. Sinners are not left alone to choose and do as they please. Angelic forces exert an influence which holds sinners in check. Their actions and influence regulate, to a great degree, both the choices sinners make and how those choices play out.

Suffering exists in the form we see and observe due in part because of what the angels allow and allow not. Nothing is left to choice or chance. Everything is managed and regulated so that evil choices play out according to God’s goals in allowing the GC to happen in the first place. God has a plan and a purpose in letting the GC play out. There is nothing natural or accidental about how it is playing out.

Quote:
MM: The author follows up by saying, “We have bought into the Devil’s way, and experience the consequences of trying to go our own way. Not under the punitive hostility of God, but because choosing wrong instead of right has its own natural results.” Here he seems to be saying that the consequences of evil choices are fixed by natural law, which implies neither God, nor Satan, has any say so.

TE: This last doesn't follow. That is, "the consequences of evil choices are fixed by natural law" does not imply "neither God, nor Satan, has any say so." This assertion is wrong.

Sure it does. Unless you believe God is breaks the law and allows Satan to do the same thing. If the consequences of evil choices do not follow fixed laws, what, then, is the truth? Are they up to Satan to decide? Does he randomly, arbitrarily decide how each evil choice will play out? If not, what, then, determines how evil choices play out?

Quote:
MM: But I hear you saying Satan controls the outcome of evil choices. Did I misunderstand your view?

Yes, you've misunderstood. I've never said this. Satan inspires, or tempts, people to make evil choices, and evil results follow. Also Satan invented the principle of selfishness, and when people buy into this principle, bad results follow. This is what I've said.

How can Satan invent something is inevitable? Sin is the transgression of the law. Satan didn’t invent it. It is true whether someone sins or not. The potential and possibility of sin was “invented” when God created free moral agents.

Also, the story of Job does not reflect the idea that suffering only follows evil choices. Sometimes suffering exists because God regulates what Satan can do to innocent people in order to demonstrate to the onlooking the nature or quality of their loyalty and obedience to God.

Quote:
MM: He also implies God never causes suffering, that it is always the result of natural law. Earlier he implied God didn't cause the Flood.

TE: What?? No, he never said anything like this. You're just reading this into what he said. You're way off base here.

No I’m not. Here’s what he said – “A third response is that experiencing suffering builds character. That may be partially true in a limited scenario, as a learning experience. And we do need to learn from suffering. But it does not resolve the larger questions—how much do babies drowned in the tsunami (or the Flood) actually learn? How were their characters built? While survivors may learn, what of the victims of suffering who do not?

“Most responses are variations or combinations of the above. While there may be elements of truth, they are generally unsatisfying, because the fundamental question remains unanswered. If God is truly good, why does he not stop the suffering?”

He implies that babies drowning in the Flood did not serve to build their character; therefore, it was not one of those situations where suffering serves a noble purpose, where the end justifies the means. His logic implies - God wouldn’t do something that caused babies to drown because it serves no higher purpose. This logic leads me to think the author believes God didn’t cause the Flood.

But in cases where suffering leads people to love and serve God more faithfully, then I am convinced God, either directly or indirectly, causes it to happen. It seems wrong to blame Satan for, or to divorce God from, something specifically calculated to produce righteous results. Nor does it seem right to credit natural law.

Quote:
MM: Actually, I hear him saying suffering exists because evil choices follow fixed laws, that the Devil merely got the ball rolling. Nevertheless, I agree with what you wrote, namely, that there are times when God gives evil angels permission to inflict people with suffering. But this doesn’t explain all the reasons why suffering exists. Sometimes God causes it Himself. Other times He commands holy angels to cause suffering.

TE: Ok, this is an interesting line of thought. The author hasn't addressed this. It would be interesting to know how he would answer your question here. I really have no idea how he would.

At any rate, regardless of how he would address your line of thought here (which would, again, be an interesting question to put to him) the basic point would remain, which is that suffering exists because of a principle the Devil invented, and it continues to exist because it is necessary for this principle to be worked out. Wouldn't this would be true even if God were responsible for causing the flood or other events that you see Him as responsible for?

God causes, commands, or consents to suffering for different reasons. Do all these reasons boil down to one? I don’t think so. One reason why God causes suffering and death is to execute justice and judgment. Another reason is to build character. A third reason is to make it clear to the onlooking universe that the consequences of disobeying the law are unfavorable. The one common denominator is suffering, but the reasons why God permits it are different.

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Mountain Man] #102998
09/21/08 06:47 PM
09/21/08 06:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following passages explain why God, in some cases, designs, fashions, sends, inflicts, appoints, and ordains suffering:

Every trial permitted is designed to exalt the truth to a higher appreciation, that praise to God alone shall be upon the lips of the true disciple of Christ. {UL 324.5}

The trials to which Christians are subjected in sorrow, adversity, and reproach are the means appointed of God to separate the chaff from the wheat. Our pride, selfishness, evil passions, and love of worldly pleasure must all be overcome; therefore God sends us afflictions to test and prove us, and show us that these evils exist in our characters. . . Afflictions, crosses, temptations, adversity, and our varied trials are God's workmen to refine us, sanctify us, and fit us for the heavenly garner. {AG 89.2}

Many of your afflictions have been visited upon you, in the wisdom of God, to bring you closer to the throne of grace. He softens and subdues His children by sorrows and trials. This world is God's workshop, where He fashions us for the courts of heaven. He uses the planing knife upon our quivering hearts until the roughness and irregularities are removed and we are fitted for our proper places in the heavenly building. Through tribulation and distress the Christian becomes purified and strengthened, and develops a character after the model that Christ has given. {AG 89.3}

[Trials and afflictions] are God's workmen, ordained for the perfection of character. However great the deprivation and suffering of the Christian, however dark and inscrutable may seem the way of providence, he is to rejoice in the Lord, knowing that all is working for his good. {LHU 248.2}

Whatever comes to him comes from the Saviour, who surrounds him with His presence. Nothing can touch him except by the Lord's permission. All our sufferings and sorrows, all our temptations and trials, all our sadness and griefs, all our persecutions and privations, in short, all things work together for our good. All experiences and circumstances are God's workmen whereby good is brought to us. {MH 488.4}

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Mountain Man] #103000
09/21/08 07:32 PM
09/21/08 07:32 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, this is speaking to the idea as to why God allows these things to come to pass. James deals with the same point here:

Quote:
2My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

3Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

4But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

5If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him...

12Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: (James 1)

James says we should rejoice in temptations. Why? Because they develop character.

So God allows us to pass through temptations, or trials, in order that our character may be developed, but that doesn't mean that God is the author of these things that come upon us. Indeed, James makes it clear He is not.

Re: Why is there suffering? [Re: Tom] #103041
09/22/08 07:04 PM
09/22/08 07:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
So God allows us to pass through temptations, or trials, in order that our character may be developed, but that doesn't mean that God is the author of these things that come upon us. Indeed, James makes it clear He is not.

James did not say anything like it. He said God does not tempt us with "evil". Which is true. Ellen also differs with your view. She used words like "designs, fashions, sends, inflicts, appoints, and ordains". God designs, appoints, ordains, and then sends suffering to help people build solid traits of character for eternity. Please reread the quotes posted above. It's too plain to misunderstand or to misapply.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:41 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!