HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: teresaq] #105386
12/01/08 03:42 PM
12/01/08 03:42 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
no, my brother, it certainly was not meant cynical, but honest. when people tried to tell me God was love, after the way they behaved, in addition to the emphasis on Gods wrath on sinners, etc, i did not have a good picture of God. i did not want to go to heaven. what on earth for?! God was just waiting to get me every time i did something wrong.

lest you think i am in a minority here, let me disabuse you of that!!

i run into many who see only a punishing, vindictive God-in the sda church. some who seem willing to kill to keep this picture of "god".

I am perhaps much blessed by God not to have faced superficial love from fellow Christians at parish level which put me off God himself, or that sort of thing.

You aren't hinting at legalists, are you? Determined to follow the rules and considering laxity on that regime treason to the cause. My past is traumatic, but flooded with grace: raised by my father, a former South African advocate (lawyer) and theology graduate (SDA's Helderberg College), in the midst of a wide family of relatives, while blessed with full health, etc. God clarified RBF for me before I got to analyse the main Adventist "alternatives", chiefly the "historic 'legalists'": they weren't bad, I found, as they are countering liberal theology which is the real danger.

"God's wrath against sinners" isn't Gospel, let alone Biblical, so someone spread bad news: God's wrath is against sin, since his love is for sinners, both expressed by God in Christ in his life and death - expressed also in last week's lesson. Yes the cross of Christ manifested both mercy and justice, grace and wrath, wrath against sin.

As for propitiation, Tom: it is a misrepresentation indeed of God's wrath to portray him as against sinners, but it is Biblical truth that he is wrath against sin, making the sacrifice of the atonement a propitiation nonetheless.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Tom] #105388
12/01/08 04:50 PM
12/01/08 04:50 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
(discussing the three-party picture of the atonement)
1. The sinner, who has aroused the anger of God.
2. A wrathful God, who needs personal satisfaction that can only be derived from inflicting suffering and imposing death; only then will He even consider letting us off the hook with forgiveness.
3. A third-party victim, who is made to suffer and die as a substitute for the sinner.

If he wants to refute the penal substitution theory, he should address what it says, not what it does not say.
John Stott, 22 years ago, already said that seeing the atonement as “a sacrifice to appease an angry God, or that the cross was a legal transaction in which an innocent victim was made to pay the penalty for the crimes of others” as being “neither the Christianity of the Bible in general nor of Paul in particular” and further that “it is doubtful if anybody has ever believed such a crude construction” (The Cross of Christ, p. 172) Even John Calvin himself says that "our being reconciled by the death of Christ must not be understood as if the Son reconciled us, in order that the Father, then hating, might begin to love us”. (Institutes II 16:4).

As I have said innumerable times, God’s wrath is not against the sinner, but against sin. Sin is a crime, an offense against the constitution of God’s kingdom (His law). Offenses against the constitution of a kingdom affect the whole kingdom; they threaten the good order and happiness of the whole jurisdiction of the King. Therefore, sin cannot just be ignored - it must be judged. However, when it is judged by God, it must obviously be condemned. The problem is that the condemnation of sin causes in the sinner such a weight of guilt that it crushes him. That's why it is said that the penalty of the law is death. Sin must be judged and the law upholded, however this would lead the sinner to death. Thus, God judged sin in Christ, so that the sinner need not die.

"Christ has made a sacrifice to satisfy the demands of Justice. What a price for heaven to pay to ransom the transgressor of the law of Jehovah. Yet that holy law could not be maintained with any smaller price. ...
"The transgression of God's law in a single instance, in the smallest particular, is sin. And the non-execution of the penalty of that sin would be a crime in the divine administration. God is a judge, the avenger of justice, which is the habitation and foundation of His throne. He cannot dispense with His law, He cannot do away with its smallest item in order to meet and pardon sin. The rectitude and justice and moral excellence of the law must be maintained and vindicated before the heavenly universe and the worlds unfallen....
The penalty must be exacted. The Lord does not save sinners by abolishing His law, the foundation of His government in heaven and in earth. The punishment has been endured by the sinner's substitute.
"Not that God is cruel and merciless, and Christ so merciful that He died on Calvary's cross to abolish a law so arbitrary that it needed to be extinguished, crucified between two thieves. The throne of God must not bear one stain of crime, one taint of sin. In the councils of heaven, before the world was created, the Father and the Son covenanted together that if man proved disloyal to God, Christ, one with the Father, would take the place of the transgressor, and suffer the penalty of justice that must fall upon him." {21MR 194, 195}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Tom] #105391
12/01/08 05:25 PM
12/01/08 05:25 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
You say "the SDA position," which seems like a strange thing to write. I'm only quoted from SDAs (with one exception, Greg Boyd) to establish the position I've been sharing! Waggoner, in particular, who has "heavenly credentials" presented a position which is identical, as far as I can tell, to what I've been presenting. Fifield and Gibson are also SDAs.

I really can't understand why you refer to authority on these points. If ever the expression "he who lives in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones" applied, it is to you, given your views regarding Christ and the Holy Spirit, viz a viz the Trinity. I never have referred to authority in our conversations regarding your ideas on these points.

The truth on atonement may be disputed in Christiandom among several options, but the explanation I'm familiar with and hold to be the best is that held by the church generally, as expressed in this Quarter's lesson, thus my reference to "the SDA position" is to a general agreement, not an authoritarian line. I consider Adventist beliefs generally to be truth, with those few exceptions like Christ's humanity etc. - atonement not included.

So maybe as many disagreeing with the church's position on atonement as differ on eg. the humanity of Christ? - quoting church leaders of the past and the present: those quotes only cover some of the whole story, and don't deal with the rest of the picture properly, so I challenge that view on "the rest"...

Differences over controverted doctrine for me is about establishing Adventist clarity of message, as the remnant message movement, rather than simply having a collection of truths. Thus, my study focusses on our church pioneers, including EGW of course, following a Bible study - like on propitiation, which turns on the word wrath, not the word itself. Together this literary heritage teaches the position on the atonement I've read from many authors over the years, so that propitiation, as a case in point, holds sway, Bible first, SOP next, others, too.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Rosangela] #105393
12/01/08 05:28 PM
12/01/08 05:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the "historic Adventist" legalism, I'm not sure it's not worse than the liberal theology. It's really, really difficult to convince the legalist of his need for grace. Otoh, the liberal, oftentimes, is convinced of his need of it, and unless he actually refuses to overcome some specific sin (i.e., is resisting the Holy Spirit in some specific way) the fact that he thinks victory of sin is not theoretically possible may not be fatal.

Quote:
As for propitiation, Tom: it is a misrepresentation indeed of God's wrath to portray him as against sinners, but it is Biblical truth that he is wrath against sin, making the sacrifice of the atonement a propitiation nonetheless.

There's no problem with the idea that God is angry at sin. Both Gibson and Fifield speak to this at length, which I've quoted. Regarding the Waggoner quote, if one simply exchanges "sin" for "sinner," his logic doesn't change any.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Tom] #105395
12/01/08 05:41 PM
12/01/08 05:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, if there's something specific that I quoted from Ty Gibson that you disagreed with, you could quote that, and we could discuss it. Did you agree with his two-party concept as opposed to three-party?

Quote:
The problem is that the condemnation of sin causes in the sinner such a weight of guilt that it crushes him. That's why it is said that the penalty of the law is death.

I agree with this. So do the other parties I've quoted (most specifically Ty Gibson, since we're discussing his quote here).

Quote:
Sin must be judged and the law upholded, however this would lead the sinner to death. Thus, God judged sin in Christ, so that the sinner need not die.

Since sin causes such a weight of guilt that it crushes the sinner, what's needed is to separate him from the sin that leads to his death. This is exactly what Waggoner said in the quote I cited for Colin.

Regarding what happened, Ty writes:

Quote:
In holy hatred of sin and unrelenting love for the sinner, the Father handed over His Son to bear the guilt inherent in our sin and to endure the selfish, murderous rage lashing out from our sin. This fits perfectly with Paul’s definition of divine wrath. He explains that it is God giving sinners over to receive in themselves the penalty inherent in their sin (Romans 1:18-28). Christ felt “forsaken” by God, “delivered” up to suffer all that sin ultimately is, not pounced upon with hostility.

Do you agree with this? This brings up the point of God's "holy hatred of sin," and that God was "not pounced upon with hostility," are were points you have been making.

Quote:
It is commonly thought that the connection between sin and death is imply that if we don’t repent of our sins God will kill us. Often no actual, intrinsic relationship is discerned between sin and death.

This deals with the relationship between sin and death.

Quote:
God does not threaten, “If you keep sinning, I will kill you.” Rather, He warns, “If you continue in sin, you will die,” for “sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.” And so He pleads, “I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die …? (Ezek. 33:11).

This brings up the need to be separated from sin, although not as explicitly here as in the Waggoner quote, although he deals with this in detail in other places. Basically the logic Ty is using is that sin leads to death (for the reason you pointed out, that's its guilt crushes us) so it is necessary for to be freed from sin, and the only way this can happen is for us to behold the truth regarding sin, ourselves, and God. I can quote other sections of what he has written which deal with this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Colin] #105405
12/01/08 07:30 PM
12/01/08 07:30 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Originally Posted By: teresaq
no, my brother, it certainly was not meant cynical, but honest. when people tried to tell me God was love, after the way they behaved, in addition to the emphasis on Gods wrath on sinners, etc, i did not have a good picture of God. i did not want to go to heaven. what on earth for?! God was just waiting to get me every time i did something wrong.

lest you think i am in a minority here, let me disabuse you of that!!

i run into many who see only a punishing, vindictive God-in the sda church. some who seem willing to kill to keep this picture of "god".

I am perhaps much blessed by God not to have faced superficial love from fellow Christians at parish level which put me off God himself, or that sort of thing.

You aren't hinting at legalists, are you? Determined to follow the rules and considering laxity on that regime treason to the cause. My past is traumatic, but flooded with grace: raised by my father, a former South African advocate (lawyer) and theology graduate (SDA's Helderberg College), in the midst of a wide family of relatives, while blessed with full health, etc. God clarified RBF for me before I got to analyse the main Adventist "alternatives", chiefly the "historic 'legalists'": they weren't bad, I found, as they are countering liberal theology which is the real danger.

"God's wrath against sinners" isn't Gospel, let alone Biblical, so someone spread bad news: God's wrath is against sin, since his love is for sinners, both expressed by God in Christ in his life and death - expressed also in last week's lesson. Yes the cross of Christ manifested both mercy and justice, grace and wrath, wrath against sin.

i would say, my brother, one extreme is just as deadly as the other. its that narrow path we need to be on and the one that would counter both errors.

again, i am glad you had a different experience! smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: teresaq] #105410
12/01/08 08:50 PM
12/01/08 08:50 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
i would say, my brother, one extreme is just as deadly as the other. its that narrow path we need to be on and the one that would counter both errors.

On which Adventist path do we find all attributes of Jesus taught? The liberal left, the mainstream, or the conservative? The straight and narrow is the only way to go, but Herb Douglass among others has helped me to realise that the Bible and SOP teachings are best preserved by the conservatives in our midst, testing each and every proponent all the while.

The systematic theology chapter on Herb Douglass in "Cross- currents of Adventist Christology" on the At Issue link from www.sdanet.org explains that conservative narrow path, here: http://sdanet.org/atissue/books/webster/ccac05-IIa.htm Yes, the humanity of Christ part of the Gospel directly affects the Gospel goal, as the neighbouring chapters on Douglass show. Oh, that may not be of interest to you... smirk

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Colin] #105413
12/01/08 09:18 PM
12/01/08 09:18 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

I was going to say just that. Since you already did, I'll just say, "Ditto."

On the cross, we see God's love for the sinner and His hatred for sin, all at once.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Tom] #105414
12/01/08 09:19 PM
12/01/08 09:19 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Regarding the "historic Adventist" legalism, I'm not sure it's not worse than the liberal theology. It's really, really difficult to convince the legalist of his need for grace. Otoh, the liberal, oftentimes, is convinced of his need of it, and unless he actually refuses to overcome some specific sin (i.e., is resisting the Holy Spirit in some specific way) the fact that he thinks victory of sin is not theoretically possible may not be fatal.

The drunkard may eventually see his need of salvation, but the proud feels no need.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Colin] #105415
12/01/08 09:21 PM
12/01/08 09:21 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
The systematic theology chapter on Herb Douglass in "Cross- currents of Adventist Christology" on the At Issue link from www.sdanet.org explains that conservative narrow path, here: http://sdanet.org/atissue/books/webster/ccac05-IIa.htm

I haven't read that. Maybe get to it one of these days.

But from what I have read, I like A. Leroy Moore's stance on the conservative/liberal divide.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!