HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Olympics .... Good or Bad for Christians? #101879
08/24/08 11:37 PM
08/24/08 11:37 PM
I Am His  Offline OP
United States
I really enjoyed the Olympics this year and was pleased that the US was the only one with over 100 medals !!! No. I was pleased that I saw such good displays of talent. I was actually more excited when small countries did well.

Anyway ... should we as Christians get excited about the Olympics? OR are they not good for the Christian?

Re: Olympics .... Good or Bad for Christians? [Re: I Am His] #101885
08/25/08 12:56 AM
08/25/08 12:56 AM
I Am His  Offline OP
United States
Just a little more info before you decide.

There are one billion people who live in China.
The Olympics cost them $40 billion.
That's 40 dollars for each person.

Out of the one billion .... it took one million volunteers to put on the Olympics.

Was it worth it?

Re: Olympics .... Good or Bad for Christians? [Re: I Am His] #101894
08/25/08 04:07 PM
08/25/08 04:07 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
It was obviously worth it to China.

As far as any competative (sp?) sport goes, what does EGW have to say about this?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Olympics .... Good or Bad for Christians? [Re: Daryl] #101936
08/26/08 05:30 AM
08/26/08 05:30 AM
I Am His  Offline OP
United States
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
It was obviously worth it to China.

As far as any competative (sp?) sport goes, what does EGW have to say about this?

I can ONLY imagine.

Did you see the closing ceremonies? Did you see what I saw?

This huge tower arose up ... and it looked JUST like the tower of Babel. I'm not kidding you. And the climbed all over it. At the base they were dancing with all kinds of weird and revealing costumes. It was a little upsetting to this SDA's virgin eyes.

Re: Olympics .... Good or Bad for Christians? [Re: Daryl] #102032
08/27/08 11:46 PM
08/27/08 11:46 PM
I Am His  Offline OP
United States
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett

While I don't have an exhaustive list .... I did come up with the following:

Quote:
" A view of things was presented before me in which the students were playing games of tennis and cricket. Then I was given instruction regarding the character of these amusements. They were presented to me as a species of idolatry, like the idols of the nations. " CT 350

Quote:
"The frivolity of the young is not pleasing to God. Their sports and games open the door to a flood of temptation." 8 T 65

Quote:
" What force of powers is put into your games of football and your other inventions after the way of the Gentiles -- exercises which bless no one! Just put the same powers into exercise in doing useful labor, and would not your record be more pleasing to meet in the great day of God? " FE 229

Quote:
“The panic of desire is so contagious that even church-members, professed Christians, are carried away with the excitement and give countenance to the races by presenting themselves as spectators. If they do not bet on the races, they are still one with the transactors in spirit, and their doings are registered and condemned in the courts of heaven. They are reckoned among the godless company, and must give an account to God for their wasted time and money." RH 03-06-94

Quote:
"The public feeling is that manual labor is degrading, yet men may exert themselves as much as they choose at cricket, baseball, or in pugilistic contests, without being regarded as degraded. Satan is delighted when he sees human beings using their physical and mental powers in that which does not educate, which is not useful, which does not help them to be a blessing to those who need their help. While the youth are becoming expert in games that are of no real value to themselves or to others, Satan is playing the game of life for their souls, taking from them the talents that God has given them, and placing in their stead his own evil attributes. It is his effort to lead men to ignore God. He seeks to engross and absorb the mind so completely that God will find no place in the thoughts. He does not wish people to have a knowledge of their Maker, and he is well pleased if he can set in operation games and theatrical performances that will so confuse the senses of the youth that God and heaven will be forgotten." CT 274

Quote:
" I was told by my Guide: "Look ye, and behold the idolatry of My people, to whom I have been speaking, rising up early, and presenting to them their dangers. I looked that they should bring forth fruit." There were some who were striving for the mastery, each trying to excel the other in the swift running of their bicycles. There was a spirit of strife and contention among them as to which should be the greatest. The spirit was similar to that manifested in the baseball games on the college ground. Said my Guide: "These things are an offense to God. Both near and afar off souls are perishing for the bread of life and the water of salvation." When Satan is defeated in one line, he will be all ready with other schemes and plans which will appear attractive and needful, and which will absorb money and thought, and encourage selfishness, so that he can overcome those who are so easily led into a false and selfish indulgence." 8T 52

And if you are a spectator and happen to take photos of it ... you are in double trouble.

Quote:
"This making and exchanging photographs is a species of idolatry" MYP 316

Re: Olympics .... Good or Bad for Christians? [Re: I Am His] #102039
08/28/08 06:29 AM
08/28/08 06:29 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: I Am His
[quote=Daryl Fawcett]

And if you are a spectator and happen to take photos of it ... you are in double trouble.

Quote:
"This making and exchanging photographs is a species of idolatry" MYP 316
What about the photograpy honor in Pathfinders?

Ellens books were illustrated with paintings and pictures.

Was it the cost?

I am suprised that the Ellen bashers hadn't picked up on this.

Re: Olympics .... Good or Bad for Christians? [Re: crater] #102059
08/28/08 07:55 PM
08/28/08 07:55 PM
I Am His  Offline OP
United States
Hi Crater. From my study ... it would appear that Ellen White was quite concerned with the actual 'image' that is made by a photo and that it would serve as something we would idolize. The Amish have a similar view I believe. Don't they refuse to allow photos of themselves?

I would add this quote ...

Quote:
" As I visit the homes of our people and our schools, I see that all the available space on tables, what-nots, and mantelpieces is filled up with photographs. On the right hand and on the left are seen the pictures of human faces. God desires this order of things to be changed. Were Christ on earth, He would say, "Take these things hence." I have been instructed that these pictures are as so many idols, taking up the time and thought which should be sacredly devoted to God. " MYP 316

Crater ... You said ....

Quote:
What about the photograpy honor in Pathfinders?

I think it is clear that our church does not follow the words of Ellen White to the letter any longer.

Re: Olympics .... Good or Bad for Christians? [Re: I Am His] #102073
08/29/08 06:24 AM
08/29/08 06:24 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
As photos exist of both James, Ellen White and other early church leaders what are we to think?

Is this just an area that is lumped in with "bicycles"? ;\)

Last edited by crater; 08/29/08 06:27 AM.
Re: Olympics .... Good or Bad for Christians? [Re: crater] #102089
08/29/08 03:00 PM
08/29/08 03:00 PM
I Am His  Offline OP
United States
I think that Ellen White was far less dogmatic than we have made her out to be. She didn't even force her family to eat as she ate or to do things that she thought was right.

The following quote shows her flexibility. If she would give meat to others ... then surely should would allow others to make photos.

Quote:
Now this is the course we pursued. We did not say to the people, You must not eat meat. Although we did not use flesh foods ourselves, when we thought it essential for that family in their time of sickness, we gave them what we felt they needed. There are occasions when we must meet the people where they are." {CD 466.3}

However ... I think you will find very few photos of Ellen White though.

Re: Olympics .... Good or Bad for Christians? [Re: I Am His] #105971
12/12/08 01:46 AM
12/12/08 01:46 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
as for photos of Eleen White... There were not many photos of almost anyone durring her time period! Does anyone have 10 photos of the same person in their families that lived durring the late 1800's - early 1900's? I have one photo of my geat great grandparents and I am so pleased to have it, is it an idol for me? I don't believe so, but then again I do not bow to it or kiss it etc...
-the cost of photos back then must have been huge? does anyone know what the cost would have been for a family sitting then?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!