HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #105850
12/09/08 03:01 PM
12/09/08 03:01 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
The linking principle is "look and live." By beholding the love of God revealed in Christ, we are drawn to repentance. If we do not resist this drawing, we will be healed (i.e. saved).

IS THAT A L L ? ? ! Why should God's love by itself win us over: why should it prove he would forgive us, give us repentance???...We are condemned by the law, which Christ upheld by his life, teaching, healing, and death: why, how can God's love by itself sort out that?

What do you make of Ellen White's support of penal substitution and substitutionary atonement?

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Colin] #105856
12/09/08 05:23 PM
12/09/08 05:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
IS THAT A L L ? ?

Well, here's the text:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 176)

If I missed something here, would you point it out please?

Quote:
Why should God's love by itself win us over: why should it prove he would forgive us, give us repentance???

I don't understand this question. Why shouldn't it? This is what the love of God does; it leads us to repentance.

Quote:
...We are condemned by the law, which Christ upheld by his life, teaching, healing, and death: why, how can God's love by itself sort out that?

We are condemned by the law because of sin. We need to be saved, or healed, from sin. Christ's healing sorts that out.

Quote:
What do you make of Ellen White's support of penal substitution and substitutionary atonement?

I make of it that it is subordinate to a principle, which she explains here:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. In Christ was arrayed before men the paternal grace and the matchless perfections of the Father. In his prayer just before his crucifixion, he declared, "I have manifested thy name." "I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." When the object of his mission was attained,--the revelation of God to the world,--the Son of God announced that his work was accomplished, and that the character of the Father was made manifest to men.(ST 1/20/90)

What was the object of his mission? "The revelation of God to the world." She writes that this was the "whole purpose" of His mission on earth. Therefore the substitutionary atonement should be viewed in this context.

Where we differ is in what we perceive the problem to be, which effects the solution. You perceive the problem to be primarily a legal one, it appears to me. Let's consider three sources, Scripture, Ellen White, and the 1888 message. Regarding Scripture, at the time it was written, no one perceived the concepts you are presenting. It wasn't a mode of thought anywhere in the world at that time. It could not have been presented by any Jew, because no Jew had the concept that God could not legally forgive sin unless a sacrifice enabled Him to do so. Not only is there no evidence in Scripture, there's no evidence in any extra-Scriptural books either that any Jew had the concepts in mind that Hodges and Calvin discussed. The penal substitution theory is a modern phenomena, in terms of when Scripture was written.

Where did Jesus Christ present the idea that God could not legally forgive us unless He died?

On the other hand, Scripture is replete with the concepts I've been presenting, which I believe you recognize (as I don't believe you dispute the atonement concepts I've been presenting, but simply disagree with what I've denied).

In terms of Ellen White, if the problem were as has been suggested, a legal one which required the death of Christ, this principle would have applied equally to Lucifer. Lucifer broke the law, the law requires death in order for God to pardon, so God could not have offered Lucifer pardon unless Christ had died. But God did so. Indeed, He did so "again and again." This makes it clear that she could not have had the same framework in mind that you do. You could not have written the things that she did in regards to Lucifer's fall, given your paradigm.

In terms of the 1888 message, the concepts I've been presenting are in harmony with the concepts the 1888 messengers presented. They didn't present the concept that God could not legally pardon sin without the death of Christ. Waggoner wrote:

Quote:
A propitiation is a sacrifice. The statement then is simply that Christ is set forth to be a sacrifice for the remission of our sins. "Once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." Heb. 9:26. Of course the idea of a propitiation or sacrifice is that there is wrath to be appeased. But take particular notice that it is we who require the sacrifice, and not God. He provides the sacrifice. The idea that God's wrath has to be propitiated in order that we may have forgiveness finds no warrant in the Bible.

It is the height of absurdity to say that God is so angry with men that he will not forgive them unless something is provided to appease his wrath, and that therefore he himself offers the gift to himself, by which he is appeased.0 "And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death." Col. 1:21, 22. (Waggoner on Romans)

Quote:
Notice in the above account that the taking away of the filthy garments is the same as causing the iniquity to pass from the person. And so we find that when Christ covers us with the robe of His own righteousness, He does not furnish a cloak for sin but takes the sin away. And this shows that the forgiveness of sins is something more than a mere form, something more than a mere entry in the books of record in heaven, to the effect that the sin has been cancelled. The forgiveness of sins is a reality; it is something tangible, something that vitally affects the individual. It actually clears him from guilt, and if he is cleared from guilt, is justified, made righteous, he has certainly undergone a radical change. He is, indeed, another person, for he obtained this righteousness for the remission of sins, in Christ. It was obtained only by putting on Christ. But "if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature." 2 Cor. 5:17. And so the full and free forgiveness of sins carries with it that wonderful and miraculous change known as the new birth, for a man cannot become a new creature except by a new birth. This is the same as having a new, or a clean, heart. (Christ and His Righteousness)

Quote:
It should be understood that Christ's work as Mediator is not limited either as to time or extent. To be Mediator means more than to be intercessor. Christ was Mediator before sin came into the world, and will be Mediator when no sin is in the universe, and no need for expiation. "In Him all things consist." He is the very impress of the Father's being. He is the life. Only in and through Him does the life of God flow to all creation. He is, then, the means, medium, mediator, the way, by which the light of life pervades the universe. He did not first become Mediator at the fall of man, but was such from eternity. No one, not simply no man, but no created being, comes to the Father but by Christ. No angel can stand in the Divine presence except in Christ. No new power was developed, no new machinery, so to speak, was required to be set in motion by the entering of sin into the world. The power that had created all things only continued in God's infinite mercy, to work for the restoration of that which was lost. In Christ were all things created, and, therefore, in Him we have redemption through His blood. Col.1:14-17. The power that pervades and upholds the universe is the power that saves us. "Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, unto Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." (The Glad Tidings)

These are passages I've quoted. I've read a great deal of Waggoner, and cannot recall anything he's said on this subject, or related, that I disagree with. It appears to me that I've been presenting the same concepts he did. So if I'm an error, at least I have good company!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #105949
12/11/08 04:51 PM
12/11/08 04:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Tom, I do not see where your view accounts for past sins. How does the plan of salvation, as you view it, deal with the problem of past sins?

T: This is what pardon is about; past sins.

You didn't answer the question - How does the plan of salvation, as you view it, deal with the problem of past sins? That is, how not what. Unless, of course, you mean to say pardon is the how and the what. But if so, why, then, did God say, "In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die"? Why didn't He say, I will pardon you? Why establish and implement a law which condemns sinners and demands death? “In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22)

Indeed, Jesus earned the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners. God sacrificed His Son “that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” (Romans 3:26) “By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095)

“Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Mountain Man] #106018
12/13/08 07:35 PM
12/13/08 07:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The how is by pardon. This does answer the question.

Quote:
The tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."(Luke 18)

Quote:
1What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

2For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

3For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

4Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

6Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. (Romans 4)

When a person is justified by faith, his sins are pardoned.

Waggoner explains as follows:

Quote:
And he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. And the Lord said unto Satan, The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan; even the Lord that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee; is not this a brand plucked out of the fire? Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the Angel. And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment. And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the Angel of the Lord stood by."

Notice in the above account that the taking away of the filthy garments is the same as causing the iniquity to pass from the person. And so we find that when Christ covers us with the robe of His own righteousness, He does not furnish a cloak for sin but takes the sin away. And this shows that the forgiveness of sins is something more than a mere form, something more than a mere entry in the books of record in heaven, to the effect that the sin has been cancelled. The forgiveness of sins is a reality; it is something tangible, something that vitally affects the individual. It actually clears him from guilt, and if he is cleared from guilt, is justified, made righteous, he has certainly undergone a radical change. He is, indeed, another person, for he obtained this righteousness for the remission of sins, in Christ. It was obtained only by putting on Christ. But "if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature." 2 Cor. 5:17. And so the full and free forgiveness of sins carries with it that wonderful and miraculous change known as the new birth, for a man cannot become a new creature except by a new birth. This is the same as having a new, or a clean, heart. (Christ And His Righteousness)

This is similar to the EGW quotations I've cited several times, from COL (talking about the publican) and the DA quote talking about how to be saved.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106053
12/14/08 04:29 PM
12/14/08 04:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you seem to have overlooked the following points. Saying God deals with past sins by pardoning them does not address the points raised. Both death and pardon are required, not merely pardon. Pardon does not do away with the death requirement. Death must happen in consequence of sin. The substitutionary death of Jesus exhausted the death penalty and made pardon possible. His death met both requirements.

Originally Posted By: MM
“In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22)

Indeed, Jesus earned the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners. God sacrificed His Son “that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” (Romans 3:26) “By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095)

“Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Mountain Man] #106054
12/14/08 04:47 PM
12/14/08 04:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Seems like you, Tom, should be able to admit that both death and pardon were required. Your version of the MITH advocates that Jesus' death was necessary, right? Under these circumstances, doesn't "necessary" and "requirement" mean essentially the same thing? That is, since Jesus' death was the only way for God to influence and motivate sinners to love and obey Him wasn't it, therefore, a requirement?

Jesus' death certainly wasn't an option if God hoped to win back sinners, right? God's options were two: 1) to die, or 2) not to die. If Jesus had chosen not to die, then sinners would have been unable to love and obey God thus making it impossible for Him to pardon and save them. Consequently, Jesus' death was required for God to pardon sinners. Jesus had to die to make it possible for God to pardon sinners.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Mountain Man] #106060
12/14/08 05:29 PM
12/14/08 05:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, you seem to have overlooked the following points. Saying God deals with past sins by pardoning them does not address the points raised. Both death and pardon are required, not merely pardon. Pardon does not do away with the death requirement. Death must happen in consequence of sin. The substitutionary death of Jesus exhausted the death penalty and made pardon possible. His death met both requirements.

I haven't overlooked this. You've asked this same question many times. I've responded by quoting from Fifield, which I'll do again. I believe the issue being raised is the same which Fifield eloquently deals with. This is from a chapter called, "THE SACRIFICE OF CHRIST HONORS GOD’S LAW." This whole chapter deals with the question you are raising. For space considerations, I just quote a portion of it, but I can quote the whole thing if you're interested.

Quote:
If the governor of a State should indiscriminately pardon all offenses against the law, it would absolutely abolish all restraint of law. The motive in his mind might be love, but that love would be so unwisely and imprudently manifested that it would lead to anarchy and misery. The same is true of the Governor of the universe. His love and his wisdom are one. His pardoning power must be so exercised in “wisdom and prudence” as to lead men to unity and joy, and not to anarchy and misery, else it is not love....

Sin is secession from the government of God. Satan seceded, and sought to exalt his throne above that of God. Sinners are those who have joined themselves to Satan’s forces in this secession. God, in infinite love, sends his own and only Son to put down the rebellion. He cannot pardon those who are still in rebellion, for this would but justify the rebellion and dishonor the law, and so perpetuate and multiply the misery. But through Jesus this rebellion is finally to be put down entirely. “The seed of the woman shall bruise the serpent’s head.” O’er every
hilltop of earth and heaven, where for a short time there has waved the black standard of the man of sin, there shall forever float the white pennon of the Prince of Peace.

Every one who lays down his arms and surrenders his opposing will to God has the promise of pardon. This pardon God can grant, and not dishonor his law. Yea, more, it is through this pardon that the mercy and love of God’s law and government are revealed,---a love that only commanded the right way, not to be arbitrary and domineering, but that men might be happy,---a love that when men repent of the wrong, and turn back their hearts toward the broken law, is ever willing to forgive the past and give power for future obedience. It is thus that God can be just, and still the justifier of those who believe on Jesus. It is thus that faith in Jesus exalts the law of God to the highest heavens, and establishes it forever. (God is Love)

Quote:
PS - Seems like you, Tom, should be able to admit that both death and pardon were required. Your version of the MITH advocates that Jesus' death was necessary, right?

You're confused if you think what I've been presenting is the Moral Influence Theory. It isn't. So this is a FOTAP question.

Quote:
Under these circumstances, doesn't "necessary" and "requirement" mean essentially the same thing? That is, since Jesus' death was the only way for God to influence and motivate sinners to love and obey Him wasn't it, therefore, a requirement?

Christ's death accomplished much more than this, of course, but in terms of your question, one could certainly look at this as something which was necessary, or required.

Quote:
Jesus' death certainly wasn't an option if God hoped to win back sinners, right? God's options were two: 1) to die, or 2) not to die. If Jesus had chosen not to die, then sinners would have been unable to love and obey God thus making it impossible for Him to pardon and save them. Consequently, Jesus' death was required for God to pardon sinners. Jesus had to die to make it possible for God to pardon sinners.

Yes, and I've pointed this out. This is why I try to be careful when speaking of Jesus' having to die in order for God to be able to pardon sinners. There is a sense in which this is true, which is just what you have explained. I've been arguing against the idea that *God* needed Christ's death, in order to change Him, or enable Him, to do something which He would not be able or disposed to do without that death. As far as God is concerned, He has always been willing and able to pardon, but pardon is a two-way street. The pardon must be received to be effective, so God did what was necessary to make that possible. As Fifield puts it:

Quote:
The life of Christ was not the price paid to the Father for our pardon; but that life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely.(God is Love)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106085
12/14/08 07:03 PM
12/14/08 07:03 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I've been arguing against the idea that *God* needed Christ's death, in order to change Him, or enable Him, to do something which He would not be able or disposed to do without that death.

*God* in this sense refers to the Godhead, not God the Father.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Rosangela] #106099
12/14/08 09:57 PM
12/14/08 09:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok. My argument has been in reference to God the Father, as this is what the EGW quotes refer to (e.g. in saying that "God bore long with Lucifer" and "again and again" offered Lucifer pardon), and what I think everyone else here has in mind besides you. So what I meant in saying:

Quote:
I've been arguing against the idea that *God* needed Christ's death, in order to change Him, or enable Him, to do something which He would not be able or disposed to do without that death.

was in reference to God the Father. Even though I had this in mind, I think what I wrote would still be true if applied to the Godhead. That is, the Godhead did not need Christ's death in order to offer Lucifer pardon. Given the Godhead did need this pardon for man, but not for Lucifer, there must be some reason for this which applies to man but not for Lucifer.

I think you accept this argument as logically sound, and your argument has been that what was different between man and Lucifer is that Lucifer's sin, or sins, were sin(s) of ignorance, as long as God was willing to pardon him, but as soon as it changed to being a known sin, God was no longer willing to offer Lucifer pardon. You have argued that what Eve did was worse than what Lucifer did.

So I think you have accepted my argument as logically sound, and have countered with a logical argument of your own to meet it. I disagree with the content of your argument, but agree that it's a valid argument.

MM has argued that Lucifer didn't sin at all, until committing his first sin, which was unpardonable, which position seems completely untenable, given that he was given the opportunity to "confess his sin."

Do you agree with this summary?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106179
12/16/08 11:02 PM
12/16/08 11:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Tom, you seem to have overlooked the following points. Saying God deals with past sins by pardoning them does not address the points raised. Both death and pardon are required, not merely pardon. Pardon does not do away with the death requirement. Death must happen in consequence of sin. The substitutionary death of Jesus exhausted the death penalty and made pardon possible. His death met both requirements.

T: I haven't overlooked this. You've asked this same question many times. I've responded by quoting from Fifield, which I'll do again. I believe the issue being raised is the same which Fifield eloquently deals with. This is from a chapter called, "THE SACRIFICE OF CHRIST HONORS GOD’S LAW." This whole chapter deals with the question you are raising. For space considerations, I just quote a portion of it, but I can quote the whole thing if you're interested.

Quote:
If the governor of a State should indiscriminately pardon all offenses against the law, it would absolutely abolish all restraint of law. The motive in his mind might be love, but that love would be so unwisely and imprudently manifested that it would lead to anarchy and misery. The same is true of the Governor of the universe. His love and his wisdom are one. His pardoning power must be so exercised in “wisdom and prudence” as to lead men to unity and joy, and not to anarchy and misery, else it is not love....

Sin is secession from the government of God. Satan seceded, and sought to exalt his throne above that of God. Sinners are those who have joined themselves to Satan’s forces in this secession. God, in infinite love, sends his own and only Son to put down the rebellion. He cannot pardon those who are still in rebellion, for this would but justify the rebellion and dishonor the law, and so perpetuate and multiply the misery. But through Jesus this rebellion is finally to be put down entirely. “The seed of the woman shall bruise the serpent’s head.” O’er every hilltop of earth and heaven, where for a short time there has waved the black standard of the man of sin, there shall forever float the white pennon of the Prince of Peace.

Every one who lays down his arms and surrenders his opposing will to God has the promise of pardon. This pardon God can grant, and not dishonor his law. Yea, more, it is through this pardon that the mercy and love of God’s law and government are revealed,---a love that only commanded the right way, not to be arbitrary and domineering, but that men might be happy,---a love that when men repent of the wrong, and turn back their hearts toward the broken law, is ever willing to forgive the past and give power for future obedience. It is thus that God can be just, and still the justifier of those who believe on Jesus. It is thus that faith in Jesus exalts the law of God to the highest heavens, and establishes it forever. (God is Love)

Now I can say neither you nor Fifield have addressed the quotes and comments and questions I posted. Now you know why I have been reduced to asking you to address them so many times. How many more times will I have to ask before you finally address them?

Quote:
M: PS - Seems like you, Tom, should be able to admit that both death and pardon were required. Your version of the MITH advocates that Jesus' death was necessary, right?

T: You're confused if you think what I've been presenting is the Moral Influence Theory. It isn't. So this is a FOTAP question.

Again, you seem to have misread what I wrote. Here it is again for your convenience: "Your version of the MITH advocates that Jesus' death was necessary, right?" Please note that I didn't say you have been presenting the MITH. I referred to it as a *version* of the MITH. Here's how I think your views are similar to the MITH: You believe Jesus' death was the only way for God to influence and motivate sinners to love and obey Him. This is a key component of the MITH.

Quote:
M: Under these circumstances, doesn't "necessary" and "requirement" mean essentially the same thing? That is, since Jesus' death was the only way for God to influence and motivate sinners to love and obey Him wasn't it, therefore, a requirement?

T: Christ's death accomplished much more than this, of course, but in terms of your question, one could certainly look at this as something which was necessary, or required.

Okay, so it is perfectly acceptable for me to say - The death of Jesus was required to accomplish His goals. That is, God required it of Himself. The reason this point is important to me is because in the past you seemed to object to using the word "required" in this context.

Quote:
M: Jesus' death certainly wasn't an option if God hoped to win back sinners, right? God's options were two: 1) to die, or 2) not to die. If Jesus had chosen not to die, then sinners would have been unable to love and obey God thus making it impossible for Him to pardon and save them. Consequently, Jesus' death was required for God to pardon sinners. Jesus had to die to make it possible for God to pardon sinners.

T: Yes, and I've pointed this out. This is why I try to be careful when speaking of Jesus' having to die in order for God to be able to pardon sinners. There is a sense in which this is true, which is just what you have explained. I've been arguing against the idea that *God* needed Christ's death, in order to change Him, or enable Him, to do something which He would not be able or disposed to do without that death. As far as God is concerned, He has always been willing and able to pardon, but pardon is a two-way street. The pardon must be received to be effective, so God did what was necessary to make that possible. As Fifield puts it:

Quote:
The life of Christ was not the price paid to the Father for our pardon; but that life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely. (God is Love)

Okay, so we agree on two of the many reasons the death of Jesus was required, namely, 1) to influence and motivate sinners to love and obey God, which in turn makes it possible for Him 2) to pardon and save them.

But, where we disagree is whether or not the death of Jesus was also required to pay the sin debt of death for the sins of the world, to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice (two important attributes of God's character), namely, that the substitutionary death of Jesus must happen in consequence of man's sin, that merely pardoning sinners is not sufficient to redeem them from the curse of the law, that ceasing from sin and faithfully obeying the law from then onward does not provide propitiation for past sins.

Law and justice demand death for sin, therefore, death must happen in consequence of sin. Law and justice do not demand pardon for sin. Neither do they demand that sinners learn to cease sinning. If it were possible to merely pardon sinners, rather than demanding their death, God would have ordered and legislated things accordingly. But He didn't.

Instead, God established things in such a way that death must happen in consequence of sin. To pardon and save sinners, therefore, the substitutionary death of Jesus is required. In this way, and only in this way, the honor and integrity of law and justice are upheld and penitent sinners can be saved and live happily ever after.

Again, listen: "Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!