HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 100 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #106880
12/31/08 06:04 PM
12/31/08 06:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Temptation is resisted when man is powerfully influenced to do a wrong action; and, knowing that he can do it, resists, by faith, with a firm hold upon divine power. This was the ordeal through which Christ passed.--The Youth's Instructor, July 20, 1899.

It's difficult to see how Christ could have been "powerfully influenced to do a wrong action" if His temptations were akin to that of a chocolate-hater being offered a piece of chocolate.

Quote:
It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 49)

Christ could hardly "share our sorrows and temptations" if they were akin to a chocolate-hater being offered a piece of chocolate.

Regarding the idea that Christ took our nature results in a "low view" of Him, Waggoner commented:

Quote:
Some may have thought, while reading thus far, that we were depreciating the character of Jesus by bringing Him down to the level of sinful man. On the contrary, we are simply exalting the "Divine power" of our blessed Saviour, who Himself voluntarily descended to the level of sinful man in order that He might exalt man to His own spotless purity, which He retained under the most adverse circumstances. His humanity only veiled His Divine nature, by which He was inseparably connected with the invisible God and which was more than able successfully to resist the weaknesses of the flesh. There was in His whole life a struggle. The flesh, moved upon by the enemy of all righteousness, would tend to sin, yet His Divine nature never for a moment harboured an evil desire nor did His Divine power for a moment waver. Having suffered in the flesh all that men can possibly suffer, He returned to the throne of the Father as spotless as when He left the courts of glory. (Christ and His Righteousness)

As long as we have this flesh, we will be tempted. Not like the chocolate-hater is "tempted" with chocolate, but like the chocolate-lover. Such is the reality of our flesh. We can train our minds, by the grace of God, to resist and refuse temptations which entice the flesh, but the flesh will always be enticed by temptations; that's its nature (pardon the pun!).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tammy Roesch] #106900
12/31/08 11:41 PM
12/31/08 11:41 PM
Rick H  Offline
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
I believe a point of this discussion that is often misunderstood is "temptation", "What is temptation?" Most people believe that unless you find something tempting, that it is really no temptation. For example, that if you don't like the taste of chocolate, then when someone offers you chocolate, it is really no temptation, because you didn't like it in the first place.

This is a really dangerous and false conclusion.

For example, two people are sitting together, and someone comes in with a plate of chocolate candy. He offers both of them the candy. One person loves chocolate, the other one hates it. But, both of them are being tempted by the tempter with the chocolate. The difference is the response from both of them. One reaches out for it, the other pushes it away.

That is how it is with all sin, for all of us, including Jesus. Jesus was tempted "in all points like as we are", but He NEVER found the sin "tempting". We, on the other hand, too many times, find the sin tempting....Satan finds within our hearts an answering chord. He never found any answering chord for sin in the heart of Jesus, nothing ever responded to his temptations.

Quote:
Temptations from without find an answering chord within the heart, and the feet turn imperceptibly toward evil. As the sacrifice in our behalf was complete, so our restoration from the defilement of sin is to be complete. There is no act of wickedness that the law will excuse; there is no unrighteousness that will escape its condemnation. The life of Christ was a perfect fulfillment of every precept of the law. He said; "I have kept my Father's commandments." John 15:10. His life is our standard of obedience and service. {Mar 91.2}
Today Satan presents the same temptations that he presented to Christ, offering us the kingdoms of the world in return for our allegiance. But upon him who looks to Jesus as the author and finisher of his faith, Satan's temptations have no power. He cannot cause to sin the one who will accept by faith the virtues of Him who was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin. {Mar 91.3}

So, when we are told that Jesus was "tempted in all points", it doesn't mean there was ANYTHING in Him that pulled toward the temptation...it just means that Satan hit Him on every topic from every angle that he could, and still,

Quote:
The time had come for Satan’s last attempt to overcome Christ. But Christ declared, He hath nothing in Me, no sin that brings Me in his power. He can find nothing in Me that responds to his satanic suggestions. . . . {CTr 260.4}

This is the point we all can amd must come to... We will not be safe to save until we reach the point that Satan finds in us no answering chord for his temptations...

Sadly, many, instead of admitting that they are not right spiritually, because they still find sin alluring...they try to lower the standard and say that "Jesus' inclinations were 'tending toward the negative' (Priebe, Paulson and many others), so if His inclinations were tending toward the negative, they can feel pretty good about their own inclinations that are still tending towards the negative....but it is all a deception! Jesus never had inclinations that were "tending toward the negative"... I have to say it again, that is just plain blasphemy.

This one is easy when you cant have sugar but still come across it everyday.... rules

'Temptation' is when you are a diabetic and your best friend pulls out peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and purposely places them before you. You have a choice, eat them and go into catatonic state of shock and maybe die, or resist and eat some 'yummy' celery sticks.......and I sure do hate celery during the holidays...

'Desire and Sin' is when your mouth starts to water as you contemplate the chewy goodness and you sneak one of those peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and test the limits your body can take.. then your sugar tallys up at 300 to 350 and you feel like your passing out...

'Confessing and Repenting' is admiting you ate the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and never want to do it again and you need your glucophage or have them take you to the emergency room quicktime as your knees buckle.... eek

Happy New Year, everyone, enjoy the festivities as I chew on my celery...... sick

Last edited by Richard; 01/01/09 12:16 AM.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rick H] #106926
01/01/09 10:39 AM
01/01/09 10:39 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO

Well, substitute the chocolate for sleezy women...it doesn't matter what the temptation was, Jesus responded the same way every time. You find no record of Him struggling with sexual sin, ever. When he saw a provocative women, His first and only reaction was to help her recover from her sin...lust didn't have any hold on Him whatsoever. After all, she was a child of His.

It is true, Satan was there parading sleezy women in front of Him many times, trying to find something in Him to arouse....but he always failed.

Quote:
Now, while our great High Priest is making the atonement for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ. Not even by a thought could our Saviour be brought to yield to the power of temptation. Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foot-hold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But Christ declared of himself, “The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.” [John 14:30.] Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. He had kept his Father's commandments, and there was no sin in him that Satan could use to his advantage. This is the condition in which those must be found who shall stand in the time of trouble. {GC88 622.4}

If, when Satan comes to us, he is still able to find something somewhere in us, it doesn't matter where, ...if he can find ANYTHING in us that responds to his temptations...then....we are not safe to save. That is why we are still here! Jesus could have come a long time ago, He is only waiting for a people who reflect His character...but unfortunately, many are copying a wrong pattern...and they don't realize it...and they haven't made the connection in their minds yet, that this is the very reason that the Lord has not come back.

When people talk about "the flesh" and how our flesh will always desire sin....that is just an excuse to sin. What is your flesh? Your arms, your legs, your body, right? Your arms, legs and your body, they don't desire sin....they only do the bidding of your mind & your heart...it all has to do with the mind, not "the flesh"....that is why Jesus said, "Let this mind be in you..." and "I will give you a new heart..."

Sure, our bodies get physically hungery, and tired....but that doesn't make us desire sin. Jesus got physically hungry and tired, too.... Clearly we are told He took the nature of Adam after the Fall.

Well...must run! Happy New Year to you all!

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tammy Roesch] #106934
01/01/09 03:43 PM
01/01/09 03:43 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Ladies and gent - you know who you are, you appear to be missing an operative factor, over, round and in all this: righteousness by faith, something actually pioneered by Christ our Saviour.

In short, his character was built by faith, as a human, as he pioneered the Christian experience. That that faith was required by him, instead of using his own divine insight, to fight sin, means that for us to know him from inspiration and prayer to the Father through him is to understand how he used "the faith of Jesus" (exaggeration for effect) to bend his human nature back from its sinfulness to his righteous use of it.

I say "bend back" because our sinfulness is a crooked, bent, sinful nature, and righteousness is by definition actually straightening a thing bent which, in this case, should be straight.

As an aside here, I would add to the traditional SDA, and Priebe's, definition of sin, seeing it also as a state of being: you see, the KJV is pragmatically accurate, but not truly accurate on the Greek with "transgression of the law"; it actually reads "lawlessness", if you check eg. the RSV. We were historically and still studiously are avoiding the error of Romanism's original sin, not so? If one excludes inherited guilt from Augustin's original sin, the remaining 3 elements are actually, otherwise correct: sinful humanity is inclined to sin, weak in, i.e. captive to, that inclinaton, and thus depraved, hopelessly alienated from rendering obedience to God out of love without the Spirit of God to assist, in Jesus' name. We have, essentially, a condemned nature, whether we sin or not, and Jesus also took our natural condemnation to the cross in his assumed sinful flesh.

Thus "Christ's humanity" is primarily an issue about salvation itself, not just Christian perfection, which is exclusively of secondary importance. I don't think pre-lapsers allow for the full meaning of sin, before they get anywhere near justification and faith - do they even include sanctification is a Gospel requirement of our faith walk?

I've checked with the GC BRI website, and at this link http://tinyurl.com/subj-justification, half way down, in Part II, there's a subheading confirming that justification by faith is also subject, ie. the new creation of the inner man, the renewal of the mind of regeneration and the rebirth, extending JBF far beyond a merely legal, Fordian Gospel, to actual inner renewal. Seems, though, that this is practically never openly preached and taught in church - we're still shy of Ford and his Evangelical school of thought, which many clergy in our midst still hold to? But, in this really obscure article, whose critiqued view on this precise point is highlighting our public silence on the issue and may have over emphasised the elements of this truth (I support the rest of the critiqued view), here is this truth re-affirmed by the GC as it was in the Palmdale Consensus statement, between the GC and Ford's (then) Austalasian Division, on what "righteousness by faith" actually means in the Bible, and in our church, published just once in the Review & Herald of the summer of 1976.

End of aside smirk

In a nutshell, what those "overboarders" are doing, in the face of the openly defiant & facetious new theology - led by a majority in the Seminary(?!), is trying their best to describe the "faith of Jesus" as used by the Man himself. Ya'know, faith in action...

Never forget either his adopted sinfulness being fundamentally adapted to Christian use, or his divine nature combined with it to - Amen and Amen - link us by his humanity to his divine throne. He had to come down to the level of sinful man for his humanity to be the crucial link in the golden chain reconnecting us with God, his and also our Father.

Last edited by Colin; 01/01/09 05:29 PM. Reason: Extras...
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Colin] #106941
01/01/09 06:34 PM
01/01/09 06:34 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
the basic problem is making the assumption that those of us opposed to the wording and thought of this topic have anything to do with this "fordian gospel". once that thought is destroyed, what is actually written might be "heard".

when did Jesus not have faith? did He have to "develop" faith, or is philipians an accurate statement of what actually happened?

Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

the whole point of this, given its context, is about humility, and thinking of others.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tammy Roesch] #106942
01/01/09 06:50 PM
01/01/09 06:50 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
Well, substitute the chocolate for sleezy women...it doesn't matter what the temptation was, Jesus responded the same way every time. You find no record of Him struggling with sexual sin, ever. When he saw a provocative women, His first and only reaction was to help her recover from her sin...lust didn't have any hold on Him whatsoever. After all, she was a child of His.

this gives me a very high goal to want to copy. the other view just gives me a picture of another Person struggling with temptation-self-centered. Jesus was other-centered. His hours spent in prayer and communing with the Father were not about overcoming temptation, but for strength, power and wisdom to show us the Father, and His holiness, to continually give to others.

"post-laps" have never given me that picture. the bible and egw do.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #106945
01/01/09 07:48 PM
01/01/09 07:48 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
the basic problem is making the assumption that those of us opposed to the wording and thought of this topic have anything to do with this "fordian gospel". once that thought is destroyed, what is actually written might be "heard".

No, Teresa, I wasn't grouping anyone here with Ford: that was an aside on the meaning of sin, not a point directly about faith or righteousness.

Moreover, my point is that this topic isn't really about what makes a temptation a temptation - that's a nice point, too - but lessons on faith, taught by Jesus himself. Jones individually I think actually wrote a book called "Lessons on Faith": Tom would know the exact title, showing this pragmatic imperative of the truth on Christ's humanity. A truth indeed that is obvious to us all, but isn't spoken of much, eh.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Colin] #106953
01/01/09 08:34 PM
01/01/09 08:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't see that the following was commented upon:

Quote:
Temptation is resisted when man is powerfully influenced to do a wrong action; and, knowing that he can do it, resists, by faith, with a firm hold upon divine power. This was the ordeal through which Christ passed.--The Youth's Instructor, July 20, 1899.

Temptation is exactly the giving of chocolate to the chocolate lover, not the chocolate hater! If Christ hated chocolate, and someone offered him chocolate, then He could not have been tempted by chocolate. There would have been no "powerful influence" to do a wrong action. The powerful influence is what makes temptation hard.

It was mentioned that there is no record of Christ's struggling with sexual sin. There's no record of Christ's struggling with any sin. To suggest that Christ was struggling with sin would be to suggest that Christ had sinned.

However, there is reference to the fact that Christ was tempted in all points as we are, and that we should find comfort from that fact. If we are a chocolate lover, being tempted by chocolate, what comfort could we find in a chocolate hater refusing chocolate?

The Gospel is not that Jesus Christ was not tempted, and that we, by some process, can get to the same point to where we are also no longer tempted, but that Jesus Christ *was* tempted, sorely so, as we are, and that He overcame those temptations by faith. Through the faith of Jesus, we also, when tempted, can overcome as He overcame.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #106960
01/01/09 09:24 PM
01/01/09 09:24 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
were Christs temptations general or specific? was there chocolate in Christs day? how about any form of tobacco, or smoking? if not, then how does the chocoholic or smoker find "comfort" that Christ was tempted in all points?

but my main point is, that i find Christs motivations for resisting sim more elevating to my sanctification than i do concentrating on the fact that He was tempted, or the fine details of what His human nature was.

maybe we are accidently making this into an either/or situation...

Quote:
when did Jesus not have faith? did He have to "develop" faith, or is philipians an accurate statement of what actually happened?

Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

the whole point of this, given its context, is about humility, and thinking of others.

when we are really bringing out the different angles to the issue.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #106972
01/02/09 02:03 AM
01/02/09 02:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
According to wiki, chocolate has been around for 3 millennia, in the new world, but it wasn't known in the old until the Spanish brought it back. Tobacco wasn't known where Christ was during His time. However, I'm pretty sure there was sex back then.

On the cross, Christ was tempted to use a drug, during a time He was suffering great pain.

Quote:
Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 48)

He accepted the results of the working of the law of heredity to share our sorrows and temptations. This He did so we could be comforted. There is great comfort in knowing that Christ knows what we go through in our difficult times. We've been talking about chocolate, but there are more difficult things than chocolate in life. There are times we pass through, such as when losing a loved one, where we feel so alone, like there's no one who understands what we are going through. But there is One, who experienced our sorrows, and can comfort us with the comfort by which He Himself was comforted when He passed through like difficulties.

Page 6 of 100 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!