HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #106748
12/29/08 11:59 PM
12/29/08 11:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Teresaq, the difference between sunlight and candlelight is not measured in terms of bad. Neither does it have anything to do with shades of darkness. Instead, it has to do with depth and degree of righteousness.

"Even the most perfect Christian may increase continually in the knowledge and love of God. (ML 249) "The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. {ML 250.4} This “work of progression will not cease, but will continue throughout eternity.” (HP 186)

Does this sound like the truth?

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #106754
12/30/08 01:25 AM
12/30/08 01:25 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
We can't say, Teresa: except that we have the operative word "reflect". Jesus works with us and we with him so that and until we reflect his character for the world to see. Perfect Christlikeness is God's ideal for children, which is higher than the highest human thought can reach.

Equally, reflecting Christlikeness is being fitted for heaven, so Christ's perfection is 'beyond' us since we receive him and don't claim equality with him: this gospel glory of perfect Godliness is the 'supreme' miracle of God's promises, not any 'better than' others round us experience or as good as Jesus comparison.

Can God achieve the impossible and effect actual Christlikeness in us for one generation of believers? We believe so, and that's to God the Father's glory, through Jesus Christ.

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Daryl] #107010
01/03/09 06:34 AM
01/03/09 06:34 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
Here is the link to the article on The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson that I would like us to examine and discuss here.

I found that the article, though claiming to have easily settle some controversial issues, does not address certain important angles. When I brought them up with KP, he said, essentially, that I will only get more confused if I continue to study the matter in too much detail. But the way I see it, if his thesis can only be understood and accepted if one ignores the details, then it is not built on a solid foundation.

Perhaps my biggest problem with the article is that KP seems to believe that our greatest struggles against sin centers around the lower nature. But it is a damaged spirit/character that is our worst problem.

In any case, here's something to consider:
1) Where does the character reside, in the higher or lower nature?
2) In the nature where character resides, was Jesus like the unregenerate sinner with an unrenewed heart?
3a) If He was, then why do we spend any effort in effecting the sinner's regeneration? If he's already like Jesus, leave him alone because he's doing fine.
3b) If He was not, then of what spiritual value is it to wrestle over the aspects in which He was like the sinner, if those aspects do not include the character, which is the sinner's biggest, if not only, problem?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Mountain Man] #107011
01/03/09 06:39 AM
01/03/09 06:39 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Christ came to live the law in His human character in just that way in which all may live the law in human nature if they will do as Christ was doing. {3SM 129.4}

Are "character" and "nature" equivalent in this quote?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: asygo] #107018
01/03/09 09:14 AM
01/03/09 09:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I found that the article, though claiming to have easily settle some controversial issues, does not address certain important angles. When I brought them up with KP, he said, essentially, that I will only get more confused if I continue to study the matter in too much detail. But the way I see it, if his thesis can only be understood and accepted if one ignores the details, then it is not built on a solid foundation.

Were you speaking to him in person, or was this a written exchange? I'd be interested in what he actually wrote, if you could produce that.

Regarding the character/nature question, character is not hereditary whereas nature, in the sense of flesh, is. Christ's character was different than man's because He never sinned, not because His heredity was different than ours.

I think Paulson did fine in handling the linguistic aspect of the question, but he ignored the historical side, which is an even stronger argument (although maybe he deals with this elsewhere; I don't know). Ellen White's contemporaries seemed to have no difficulty understanding what she believed. It seems odd that a century later that others who didn't know her would come up with theories which contradict what those who actually worked with her, and preached with her on this very subject, believed (regarding her beliefs).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #107025
01/03/09 12:10 PM
01/03/09 12:10 PM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
Originally Posted By: teresaq
so Jesus became as bad as us, but we cant be as good as He "became"?

That is pretty much what many believe. They want to bring Jesus down to the unconverted mans level, thinking that by doing that, that that in some way gives the unconverted man hope.

That would be like if a man is sitting in a bar, completely drunk....and you wanted to help the man, but you were told you could not help him unless you were a recovered alcoholic...then you could help him - That only someone who has been as low as he is, can reach him. That is nonsense!

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tammy Roesch] #107026
01/03/09 12:22 PM
01/03/09 12:22 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Kevin Paulson is actually an inactive member here, therefore, somebody may wish to contact him and alert him by linking him to this topic.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tom] #107031
01/03/09 07:08 PM
01/03/09 07:08 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

I think Paulson did fine in handling the linguistic aspect of the question, but he ignored the historical side, which is an even stronger argument (although maybe he deals with this elsewhere; I don't know). Ellen White's contemporaries seemed to have no difficulty understanding what she believed. It seems odd that a century later that others who didn't know her would come up with theories which contradict what those who actually worked with her, and preached with her on this very subject, believed (regarding her beliefs).

i havent been able to go through all the writings, yet, of the pioneers regarding the human nature of Christ. would you have some handy? besides jones and/or waggoners statements i mean.

Last edited by teresaq; 01/03/09 07:08 PM.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: Tammy Roesch] #107032
01/03/09 07:11 PM
01/03/09 07:11 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
Originally Posted By: teresaq
so Jesus became as bad as us, but we cant be as good as He "became"?

That is pretty much what many believe. They want to bring Jesus down to the unconverted mans level, thinking that by doing that, that that in some way gives the unconverted man hope.

That would be like if a man is sitting in a bar, completely drunk....and you wanted to help the man, but you were told you could not help him unless you were a recovered alcoholic...then you could help him - That only someone who has been as low as he is, can reach him. That is nonsense!

i got the impression from somewhere that post-laps believed we could be cleansed of all sin. this isnt true?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: The Lower and Higher Natures by Kevin D Paulson [Re: teresaq] #107051
01/04/09 01:25 AM
01/04/09 01:25 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
Honestly Teresa, I don't really understand the definitions of post and prelaps... I understand New Theology and "Fordism"...but I don't understand the other two....sorry...

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!