HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 100 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108073
02/09/09 08:18 PM
02/09/09 08:18 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
[quote=Mountain Man]
I do not believe God ever caved in to pressure and permitted sinners to practice sin contrary to His will and law. The fact God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy, get divorced, and to have a king is evidence such things are not sinful in and of themselves. They were, nevertheless, contrary to God’s ideal will and desire for them. Do you agree?

just dealing with the polygamy part for the moment, it is interesting that you do not consider it a sin.
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

just because i might be legally married to 10 men at the same time, how do you figure i didnt committ adultery starting with the second husband, not to mention the thought that preceded the act? committing adultery is a sin, is it not? or do we humans decide what sin is? or is that an ok sin in Gods sight?

just curious how the reasoning goes here.

Last edited by teresaq; 02/09/09 08:19 PM.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108102
02/10/09 02:37 AM
02/10/09 02:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I do not believe God used violent force to overcome rebellion.

But you do. You've quoted the flood to support this idea.

Quote:
I do not deny #4. Nor am I at odds with #5. Your translation of my views is biased and inaccurate which explains why you feel the way you do about my views.

We haven't spoken much of 5, but we have spoken of 4 in detail, and you have said on several occasions that there are things about God which Jesus Christ did not reveal.

Quote:
T: In the sense that Satan is the author of sin and all its results, yes. One of the purposes of the GC is to reveal that God is not responsible for any evil that happens.

M:What are you labeling as “evil”?

Anything contrary to God's character, or the principles of His law, the principle of love, is evil. Anything contrary to the principles which Jesus Christ taught and lived is evil.

Quote:
Are you suggesting things like the Flood are evil? Are you suggesting Satan is the one who employed the forces of nature to cause the death and destruction related to the Flood? Are you suggesting sin is what caused the forces of nature to destroy the planet and to kill sinners? Are you suggesting God had nothing to do with the Flood? What do you mean when you say Satan is responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded in the Bible?

I said simply, "In the sense that Satan is the author of sin and all its results, yes. One of the purposes of the GC is to reveal that God is not responsible for any evil that happens." Since Satan is the author of sin and all its results, and since death and destruction are results of sin, it follows that Satan is the author of death and destruction, and thus responsible for it.

Quote:
M: In what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? Was He “restoring” the world to its former state of righteousness by allowing the Flood to rid the world of sinners?

T: I'm not sure what you mean by "its former state of righteousness," but this was basically what God was doing. Justice in Scripture has to do with restoring the covenant community to shalom. However, the context in which God is described as "restorer" has to do with His restoring those who desire such, as God highly respects free will.

M:Again, in what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? What did He restore? What was restored when the planet was destroyed and when sinners were killed?

It looks to me like you're simply re-asking what you asked above. My answer is right above your questions.

I'm a bit curious here. I have been asserting that I believe God is the restorer. Is it your point of view that this idea is incorrect, and you are citing the Flood as evidence that this idea is incorrect?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108103
02/10/09 03:51 AM
02/10/09 03:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: The evil angels sought Jesus’ permission. His consent resulted in pigs drowning; otherwise, the pigs would not have died. Jesus is culpable.

T: By the same logic, God is culpable of all evil. Is this what you think?

M:One point at a time, please. Do you agree the pigs were safe until Jesus gave evil angels permission to drown them? Or, do you think the evil angels killed the pigs in violation Jesus’ command not to do so?

Ok, since we're doing one point at a time, let's start with the one I raised. If Jesus is culpable for the destruction of the pigs, because He permitted the evil angels to do what they did to the pigs, then, by the same logic, God is culpable for all evil, since no evil occurs except as God gives permission.

Regarding Moses and the sabbath-breakers, it appears to me that you and I both agree that your view of what happened in the OT is contrary to what Jesus did during His mission on earth. We differ on how to resolve this apparent (or, it seems you would say, actual) contradiction. What I'm suggesting is that if we see Jesus acting during His mission on earth in a way that we perceive to be different than how God acted in the OT, then our view of what God was doing is likely to be wrong. What you are suggesting, it appears to me, is that if we see a contradiction like this what it means is that Jesus Christ did not reveal all that man can know of God.

Quote:
I do not believe God ever caved in to pressure and permitted sinners to practice sin contrary to His will and law.

This is a red herring, since nobody believe God "caved in" to pressure. And I'm sure you know this is a red herring as well, since you are aware that no one here is suggesting that God "caved in to pressure." Let's leave out the red herrings, OK?

Quote:
The fact God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy, get divorced, and to have a king is evidence such things are not sinful in and of themselves. They were, nevertheless, contrary to God’s ideal will and desire for them. Do you agree?

No, not at all. It seemed to me that you had the idea that because God permits something means the thing permitted is not sin. In order to disprove this idea, I brought out these examples known to be sin.

We know, for example, that divorce (if not on the grounds of unfaithfulness) is sin. We also know that idolatry is sin, which is what the Israelites were essentially guilty of in wanting to have some other king than God. They were guilty of breaking the first commandment as well. Also the tenth. And that polygamy is sin made clear by the SOP statements cited previously, such as the one stating that polygamy is a violation of God's law (which is the definition of sin).

Quote:
Or, do you think God permitted the Jews to practice sin contrary to His ideal will and desire for them? If so, why would He do such a thing?

Jesus answered this question, which has be cited for you many times:

Quote:
He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.(Matt. 19:8)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108114
02/10/09 02:59 PM
02/10/09 02:59 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
T: I see some difficulties with this idea. First of all, it doesn't take into account principles like the following:

1.God does not use force to overcome rebellion.
2.Force is not a principle of God's government.
3.Force is the last resort of every false religion.
4.Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God.
5.God is the restorer; Satan is the destroyer.

M: My views are in total harmony with these principles.

M: I do not believe God used violent force to overcome rebellion.

Which, if your past comments reflect current comments, you mean to say that God does use force to overcome rebellion, just not violent force. Is that a reasonable qualifier?

Originally Posted By: kland
Could you describe how someone could cause death and destruction without force?

Punishment is not considered force. Nor is it considered violence or murder. Listen:

MM, I didn't say anything about "punishment", neither did any of your quotes.

Why did you throw in the word, punishment?

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #108122
02/10/09 06:28 PM
02/10/09 06:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: I do not believe God ever caved in to pressure and permitted sinners to practice sin contrary to His will and law. The fact God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy, get divorced, and to have a king is evidence such things are not sinful in and of themselves. They were, nevertheless, contrary to God’s ideal will and desire for them. Do you agree?

t: just dealing with the polygamy part for the moment, it is interesting that you do not consider it a sin.

just because i might be legally married to 10 men at the same time, how do you figure i didnt committ adultery starting with the second husband, not to mention the thought that preceded the act? committing adultery is a sin, is it not? or do we humans decide what sin is? or is that an ok sin in Gods sight?

The reasoning goes like this - God permitted polygamy in the law of Moses, therefore, when practiced in accordance with the law it was not a sin. Adultery happens when a married person has sex with a married person they're not married to.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108125
02/10/09 07:09 PM
02/10/09 07:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: I do not believe God used violent force to overcome rebellion.

T: But you do. You've quoted the flood to support this idea.

God did not employ violent force to put down rebellion when He used a Flood to punish sinners. Satan uses force and violence - not God.

Quote:
M: I do not deny #4. Nor am I at odds with #5. Your translation of my views is biased and inaccurate which explains why you feel the way you do about my views.

T: We haven't spoken much of 5, but we have spoken of 4 in detail, and you have said on several occasions that there are things about God which Jesus Christ did not reveal.

#4 allows for the fact Jesus didn’t demonstrate everything there is to know about God. He only revealed that which man could comprehend at the time, which means there was plenty about God that man could not understand about God. Jesus plainly said so. “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.”

Quote:
T: In the sense that Satan is the author of sin and all its results, yes. One of the purposes of the GC is to reveal that God is not responsible for any evil that happens.

M: What are you labeling as “evil”?

T: Anything contrary to God's character, or the principles of His law, the principle of love, is evil. Anything contrary to the principles which Jesus Christ taught and lived is evil.

M: Are you suggesting things like the Flood are evil? Are you suggesting Satan is the one who employed the forces of nature to cause the death and destruction related to the Flood? Are you suggesting sin is what caused the forces of nature to destroy the planet and to kill sinners? Are you suggesting God had nothing to do with the Flood? What do you mean when you say Satan is responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded in the Bible?

T: I said simply, "In the sense that Satan is the author of sin and all its results, yes. One of the purposes of the GC is to reveal that God is not responsible for any evil that happens." Since Satan is the author of sin and all its results, and since death and destruction are results of sin, it follows that Satan is the author of death and destruction, and thus responsible for it.

I do not understand how your answer addresses the following questions:

1. Are you suggesting things like the Flood are evil?
2. Are you suggesting Satan is the one who employed the forces of nature to cause the death and destruction related to the Flood?
3. Or, are you suggesting sin is what caused the forces of nature to destroy the planet and to kill sinners?
4. And, are you suggesting God had nothing to do with the Flood?

Quote:
M: In what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? Was He “restoring” the world to its former state of righteousness by allowing the Flood to rid the world of sinners?

T: I'm not sure what you mean by "its former state of righteousness," but this was basically what God was doing. Justice in Scripture has to do with restoring the covenant community to shalom. However, the context in which God is described as "restorer" has to do with His restoring those who desire such, as God highly respects free will.

M: Again, in what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? What did He restore? What was restored when the planet was destroyed and when sinners were killed?

T: It looks to me like you're simply re-asking what you asked above. My answer is right above your questions.

1. In what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners?
2. What did He restore?
3. What was restored when the planet was destroyed and when sinners were killed?

Quote:
T: I'm a bit curious here. I have been asserting that I believe God is the restorer. Is it your point of view that this idea is incorrect, and you are citing the Flood as evidence that this idea is incorrect?

You and I interpret and apply Ellen’s insight regarding the “restorer”. Yes, I totally believe God is a restorer in the sense He is longsuffering and not willing that any should perish unnecessarily. He leaves no stone unturned in His tireless efforts to woo sinners to Jesus, to embrace Him as their personal Friend and Savior. But there is a limit, a threshold beyond which sinners cannot pass and still be savable. When that point is reached, when they fill up the cup of wrath, God is compelled to act. In the Bible such acts are referred to as – “His strange act”. But God is not a destroyer in the same sense Satan is. Listen:

Genesis
6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
6:13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Ezekiel
28:16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108127
02/10/09 07:33 PM
02/10/09 07:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: The evil angels sought Jesus’ permission. His consent resulted in pigs drowning; otherwise, the pigs would not have died. Jesus is culpable.

M: One point at a time, please. Do you agree the pigs were safe until Jesus gave evil angels permission to drown them? Or, do you think the evil angels killed the pigs in violation Jesus’ command not to do so?

T: Ok, since we're doing one point at a time, let's start with the one I raised. If Jesus is culpable for the destruction of the pigs, because He permitted the evil angels to do what they did to the pigs, then, by the same logic, God is culpable for all evil, since no evil occurs except as God gives permission.

Let’s back up even further because I still don’t know what you believe about it. Please answer the following question so I can begin to understand your point of view. Were the pigs safe and sound before Jesus gave the evil angels permission to drown them?

Quote:
M: My question concerns why you think God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. Your story illustrates God taking the risk of being misunderstood but it doesn’t explain why God commanded Moses to kill those two guys.

So, again, here are my questions – Why do you think God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? Why did He take the risk of being misunderstood? Why didn’t He take the risk of sharing His true feelings about capital punishment? What would have happened if God had simply told them the truth about capital punishment instead of commanding Moses to kill sinners?

T: Regarding Moses and the sabbath-breakers, it appears to me that you and I both agree that your view of what happened in the OT is contrary to what Jesus did during His mission on earth. We differ on how to resolve this apparent (or, it seems you would say, actual) contradiction. What I'm suggesting is that if we see Jesus acting during His mission on earth in a way that we perceive to be different than how God acted in the OT, then our view of what God was doing is likely to be wrong. What you are suggesting, it appears to me, is that if we see a contradiction like this what it means is that Jesus Christ did not reveal all that man can know of God.

I agree with your explanation above, however, it does not answer my questions. Unless, of course, you are implying God did not command Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. Is this what you are saying? If not, then please answer the following questions:

1. Why do you think God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer?
2. Why did He take the risk of being misunderstood?
3. Why didn’t He take the risk of sharing His true feelings about capital punishment?
4. What would have happened if God had simply told them the truth about capital punishment instead of commanding Moses to kill sinners?

Quote:
M: Again, you seem to be saying, yes, polygamy is a sin, and yes, God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy contrary to His will.

T: Again, I quoted Ellen White. Here was my main point: The point in mentioning polygamy, divorce and Israel's having their own king was to illustrate that God permits things to happen contrary to His will. Do you agree with this?

M: I do not believe God ever caved in to pressure and permitted sinners to practice sin contrary to His will and law.

T: This is a red herring, since nobody believe God "caved in" to pressure. And I'm sure you know this is a red herring as well, since you are aware that no one here is suggesting that God "caved in to pressure." Let's leave out the red herrings, OK?

I did not intend for my question to constitute a red herring. I’m offended by your accusation. Nevertheless, I’ll rephrase the comment and question. I do not believe God ever gave sinners permission to practice things contrary to His law. Do you agree?

Quote:
M: The fact God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy, get divorced, and to have a king is evidence such things are not sinful in and of themselves. They were, nevertheless, contrary to God’s ideal will and desire for them. Do you agree?

T: No, not at all. It seemed to me that you had the idea that because God permits something means the thing permitted is not sin. In order to disprove this idea, I brought out these examples known to be sin.

We know, for example, that divorce (if not on the grounds of unfaithfulness) is sin. We also know that idolatry is sin, which is what the Israelites were essentially guilty of in wanting to have some other king than God. They were guilty of breaking the first commandment as well. Also the tenth. And that polygamy is sin made clear by the SOP statements cited previously, such as the one stating that polygamy is a violation of God's law (which is the definition of sin).

Are you suggesting God gave the Jews permission to transgress the law when He allowed them to have more than one wife and to have a king?

Quote:
M: Or, do you think God permitted the Jews to practice sin contrary to His ideal will and desire for them? If so, why would He do such a thing?

T: Jesus answered this question, which has be cited for you many times: He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.(Matt. 19:8)

Are you implying that, yes, God gave them permission to sin because of the hardness of their hearts?

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #108128
02/10/09 07:38 PM
02/10/09 07:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: I see some difficulties with this idea. First of all, it doesn't take into account principles like the following:

1.God does not use force to overcome rebellion.
2.Force is not a principle of God's government.
3.Force is the last resort of every false religion.
4.Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God.
5.God is the restorer; Satan is the destroyer.

M: My views are in total harmony with these principles. I do not believe God used violent force to overcome rebellion.

K: Which, if your past comments reflect current comments, you mean to say that God does use force to overcome rebellion, just not violent force. Is that a reasonable qualifier?

No.

K: Could you describe how someone could cause death and destruction without force?

M: Punishment is not considered force. Nor is it considered violence or murder. Listen:

K: MM, I didn't say anything about "punishment", neither did any of your quotes. Why did you throw in the word, punishment?

It is a qualifier. Listen:

Matthew
25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Hebrews
10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108162
02/11/09 04:10 AM
02/11/09 04:10 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God did not employ violent force to put down rebellion when He used a Flood to punish sinners. Satan uses force and violence - not God.

God used a non-violent, non-forceful flood?

Quote:
#4 allows for the fact Jesus didn’t demonstrate everything there is to know about God.

#4 says "Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God," so what you're writing is clearly false, unless you're somehow distinguishing between "revealed" and "demonstrated."

Quote:
He only revealed that which man could comprehend at the time, which means there was plenty about God that man could not understand about God.

"Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God" does not mean "Jesus Christ only revealed that which man could comprehend at the time."

Quote:
Jesus plainly said so. “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.”

“I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.” does not mean "I have not revealed everything man can know about God."

Quote:
T: I said simply, "In the sense that Satan is the author of sin and all its results, yes. One of the purposes of the GC is to reveal that God is not responsible for any evil that happens." Since Satan is the author of sin and all its results, and since death and destruction are results of sin, it follows that Satan is the author of death and destruction, and thus responsible for it.

1. Are you suggesting things like the Flood are evil?
2. Are you suggesting Satan is the one who employed the forces of nature to cause the death and destruction related to the Flood?
3. Or, are you suggesting sin is what caused the forces of nature to destroy the planet and to kill sinners?
4. And, are you suggesting God had nothing to do with the Flood?

I said one thing, and you asked questions which as far as I can tell had nothing to do with what I said, so I restated what I said. It doesn't seem to me that I wasn't discussing the things you asked about.

Quote:

M: Again, in what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? What did He restore? What was restored when the planet was destroyed and when sinners were killed?

T: It looks to me like you're simply re-asking what you asked above. My answer is right above your questions.

1. In what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners?
2. What did He restore?
3. What was restored when the planet was destroyed and when sinners were killed?

I think we're at a dead end here. You're asked me questions. I answered the questions. You reasked them. I pointed out I answered them. You're asking them again. Maybe we should skip this point, as it doesn't look like we're getting anywhere.

Are you asking these questions because you don't believe God was acting as a restorer in doing these things?

Quote:
T: I'm a bit curious here. I have been asserting that I believe God is the restorer. Is it your point of view that this idea is incorrect, and you are citing the Flood as evidence that this idea is incorrect?

M:You and I interpret and apply Ellen’s insight regarding the “restorer”. Yes, I totally believe God is a restorer in the sense He is longsuffering and not willing that any should perish unnecessarily. He leaves no stone unturned in His tireless efforts to woo sinners to Jesus, to embrace Him as their personal Friend and Savior. But there is a limit, a threshold beyond which sinners cannot pass and still be savable. When that point is reached, when they fill up the cup of wrath, God is compelled to act.

This isn't at all what "restorer" means. What you've written has nothing at all to do with restoration. Restore means " to bring back to or put back into a former or original state."

Quote:
In the Bible such acts are referred to as – “His strange act”. But God is not a destroyer in the same sense Satan is.

"Satan is the destroyer. The Lord is the restorer." does not mean "God is the destroyer, but not in the same sense as Satan."

Quote:

M: One point at a time, please. Do you agree the pigs were safe until Jesus gave evil angels permission to drown them? Or, do you think the evil angels killed the pigs in violation Jesus’ command not to do so?

T: Ok, since we're doing one point at a time, let's start with the one I raised. If Jesus is culpable for the destruction of the pigs, because He permitted the evil angels to do what they did to the pigs, then, by the same logic, God is culpable for all evil, since no evil occurs except as God gives permission.

M:Let’s back up even further because I still don’t know what you believe about it. Please answer the following question so I can begin to understand your point of view. Were the pigs safe and sound before Jesus gave the evil angels permission to drown them?

I was pointing out that by your logic (this is irrespective of my beliefs) if Jesus was culpable for the destruction of the pigs (because He permitted it to happen) then God is culpable for all evil (because He permitted it to happen).

Quote:
T: Regarding Moses and the sabbath-breakers, it appears to me that you and I both agree that your view of what happened in the OT is contrary to what Jesus did during His mission on earth. We differ on how to resolve this apparent (or, it seems you would say, actual) contradiction. What I'm suggesting is that if we see Jesus acting during His mission on earth in a way that we perceive to be different than how God acted in the OT, then our view of what God was doing is likely to be wrong. What you are suggesting, it appears to me, is that if we see a contradiction like this what it means is that Jesus Christ did not reveal all that man can know of God.

M:I agree with your explanation above, however, it does not answer my questions. Unless, of course, you are implying God did not command Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. Is this what you are saying? If not, then please answer the following questions:

1. Why do you think God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer?
2. Why did He take the risk of being misunderstood?
3. Why didn’t He take the risk of sharing His true feelings about capital punishment?
4. What would have happened if God had simply told them the truth about capital punishment instead of commanding Moses to kill sinners?

If you agree with my explanation, then there's no need for me to answer your questions. My explanation explains this. The point of the explanation is that I don't agree with your whole approach. Rather than coming to the conclusion that your ideas must be mistaken, because they lead to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is not a full and complete revelation of God, that Jesus Christ did not reveal all that God can know about God, that Jesus Christ is not just like the God of the OT, you conclude that Jesus Christ did not reveal all that man can be known about God.

What I'm saying is that if we have an idea, and that idea conflicts with what Jesus Christ revealed (i.e., what He lived and taught) then our idea must be mistaken. Once we are convinced our idea is mistaken, *then* steps can be taken to ascertain as to why. It's the conviction that the idea is mistaken that's the important thing, not the reason why it's mistaken.

Quote:
T: This is a red herring, since nobody believe God "caved in" to pressure. And I'm sure you know this is a red herring as well, since you are aware that no one here is suggesting that God "caved in to pressure." Let's leave out the red herrings, OK?

M:I did not intend for my question to constitute a red herring. I’m offended by your accusation.

I didn't say anything about your question being a red herring. I said your statement that you do not believe that God caved in to pressure is a red herring. It is a red herring because nobody believes that God caved into pressure, and you know this to be the case, so there's no reason for you to make this statement.

Quote:
Nevertheless, I’ll rephrase the comment and question. I do not believe God ever gave sinners permission to practice things contrary to His law. Do you agree?

Do you mean like saying, "It's OK if you break My law? I don't mind?" Are you suggesting someone thinks this?

Quote:
Are you suggesting God gave the Jews permission to transgress the law when He allowed them to have more than one wife and to have a king?

I didn't say anything whatsoever about God's giving permission to transgress the law. I didn't speak of "giving permission" at all. I spoke of God's permitting it. This is what the Scripture says:

Quote:
Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.(Matt. 19:8)

Quote:
M: Or, do you think God permitted the Jews to practice sin contrary to His ideal will and desire for them? If so, why would He do such a thing?

T: Jesus answered this question, which has be cited for you many times: He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.(Matt. 19:8)

M:Are you implying that, yes, God gave them permission to sin because of the hardness of their hearts?

Same comment.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108166
02/11/09 04:35 AM
02/11/09 04:35 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: I do not believe God ever caved in to pressure and permitted sinners to practice sin contrary to His will and law. The fact God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy, get divorced, and to have a king is evidence such things are not sinful in and of themselves. They were, nevertheless, contrary to God’s ideal will and desire for them. Do you agree?

t: just dealing with the polygamy part for the moment, it is interesting that you do not consider it a sin.

The reasoning goes like this - God permitted polygamy in the law of Moses, therefore, when practiced in accordance with the law it was not a sin. Adultery happens when a married person has sex with a married person they're not married to.

i would suggest, my brother, that you are getting on very dangerous ground here.

God allows us to live. does that mean that we do not sin?
God keeps the serial killer alive, does that mean that He does not see what the serial killer is doing as of the most heinous of sins?

Quote:
Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 22 of 100 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!