HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 100 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108612
02/18/09 11:45 PM
02/18/09 11:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Are you of the persuasion that God supernaturally burns people alive in this manufactured fire in order to make them pay for their sins?

B:Yes. Just as He had Christ supernaturally setup to pay for "our sins" as our "Atoning Sacrifice" 1John 2:2 NIV.

Exact same concept.

One can argue that disconnection from the source of life results in death. But that is not what you see when God supernaturally raises the wicked dead, the orchestrates the Great White throne Judgment - and then the Lake of Fire with the special "element" that "He who knew his masters will and yet did deeds worthy of flogging will receive many lashes" Luke 12

I agree with you that the concepts are related. I see the final judgment differently than you do, and hence the atonement differently. We're both being consistent with our assumptions, but we have different assumptions. Specifically, the concept that God manufactures the suffering/destruction/death at the final judgment. I see these things as being the "inevitable result of sin" as per EGW (DA 764).

In DA 764 EGW argues that the destruction of the wicked is not due to a manufactured (she actually uses the word "arbitrary," but I believe her meaning is the same as what you mean by "manufactured") act of power on the part of God, but is the result of their own choice.

In GC 543 she also states that the exclusion of the wicked is voluntary with themselves.

Ty Gibson does a good job expressing the concept, which I'll see if I can find. I found something, but it's rather long, so I'll post it separately, next post. I'm quoting at length because I think it gives a better feel for what he's trying to communicate than a snippet would.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108613
02/18/09 11:46 PM
02/18/09 11:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ty Gibson

The law is not an arbitrary set of rules made up at random by God to prove His authority over us, but rather a practical explanation of what love looks like in real life…Sin is anything contrary to the character of God; more specifically, anything contrary to His love…

Love is God’s law, the principle by which He lives. It is a law because it is not arbitrary, but based on reality as it is, governing life by its righteous principles. Love is the law by which God made and sustains life….

Sin is the opposite, antagonistic principle at war with the law of love. Do not view sin as merely an alternative way of living, which happens to be harmlessly different from God’s way. God’s way is the only way to live, not because He happens to be more powerful and can arbitrarily punish us if we don’t comply, but because life is actually, intrinsically present only in God’s way, which is the way of love. The problem with sin is that it is wrong, actually, essentially, inherently wrong. And it is wrong for good reason, not just because the One in charge doesn’t like it. To be sure, God does not like sin, but He doesn’t like it because of what it does to is victims, not because He is a picky control freak who decided to come up with a list of arbitrary rules to keep us under His thumb. Sin, by its very nature, is anti-life. It is intrinsically destructive. Hence the Bible calls it the “law of sin and death” (Romans 8:2).

Once the nature of sin is understood, it is easy to see why sin is a law of death: sin is selfishness, the antithesis of love. As such, it leads inevitably to the exclusion of, and isolation from, the sustaining love and support of all others….

Because God’s love is the law of the universe, by which He created and sustains all things, the principles of that law are designed into our very natures. Within our psycho-emotional makeup, love is encoded as the law of life. When we violate that law, a malfunction signal issues a warning in the form of guilt. That part of our minds we call *conscience* senses discomfort with sin and identifies it as a destructive virus in the computer system, so to speak. Guilt is not arbitrarily imposed by God any more than His law is arbitrary. He is the Architect of conscience, but He is not the source of guilt. He made us with the capacity to feel guilt as a merciful and wise deterrent to sin, desiring, of course, that we would never experience its pain….

While God does not desire that anyone ever experience physical pain or the psychological pain of guilt, even more so He does not desire our utter destruction. Pain is a built-in mercy mechanism intended to aid in the preservation of life. Pain is not an indication that God is exercising some kind of power above, beyond, or contrary to His law of love in order to inflict suffering as an arbitrary punishment for sin. Punishment is organic to sin itself….

It is commonly thought that the connection between sin and death is imply that if we don’t repent of our sins God will kill us. Often no actual, intrinsic relationship is discerned between sin and death. But even a casual consideration of Scripture on this point persuades us otherwise. Notice just these few examples (quotes Gal. 6:7, 8; Rom. 6:16, 21-23; Rom. 8:6; Rom. 8:13; Prov. 8:36; James 1:15)…

So, when Paul says that holiness results in eternal life, he is not removing God from the equation and making life a mere naturalistic cause and effect matter. He is simply describing *how* God gives us eternal life….

God does not threaten, “If you keep sinning, I will kill you.” Rather, He warns, “If you continue in sin, you will die,” for “sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.” And so He pleads, “I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die …? (Ezek. 33:11). We’re caught off guard by a question like this from God. We are more inclined to ask Him, “Why do You kill?” But He points to our sin and asks us, “Why do you choose death?”…

(quotes Rom. 5:11; 1 Pet. 3:18; 1 Pet. 2:24, 25; 2 Cor. 5:14, 15)
Please not the recurring point in the preceding verses:
• Through Christ we receive “atonement”; we are made one with God.
• The purpose of the substitutionary death of Christ is to “bring us to God”; not Him to us. God has demonstrated His reconciled position toward us in Christ.
• Through sin we have gone “astray”; but through the sacrifice of Christ we “are not returned” to God.
• The love of Christ, revealed in His death, causes us to cease living for self and to start living for Him; we are reestablished in the circle of selfless, other-centered love through the atoning death of Christ….

(discussing the three-party picture of the atonement)
1. The sinner, who has aroused the anger of God.
2. A wrathful God, who needs personal satisfaction that can only be derived from inflicting suffering and imposing death; only then will He even consider letting us off the hook with forgiveness.
3. A third-party victim, who is made to suffer and die as a substitute for the sinner.

There are a number of serious problems with the three-party picture, foremost of which is that it makes no legal or moral sense for an innocent third-party victim to suffer the penalty for the wrongdoer. If such an arrangement could actually satisfy God, then we would be forced to conclude that His law and His wrath are irrational and arbitrary, meaning there is no actual relationship between law and sin and death. If God’s wrath can be appeased by venting rage on an innocent third party, then it follows that there is no real problem with sin other than the fact that God doesn’t want us doing it: His law is arbitrary. Moreover, since we have failed to meet His arbitrary demands, we had better suffer ourselves or find a whipping boy to suffer in our place: His wrath is arbitrary.

Biblical Christianity proclaims, in extreme contrast to the third-party view of substitution, that God has given Himself as our Substitute, to bear our sin and its inherent, divinely-ordained penalty. Hence there are only two parties involved in the atonement: 1. The sinner, who has aroused in God a painful tension between a holy, rational anger against sin and an equally holy, rational mercy toward the sinner. 2. An infinitely just an definitely merciful God, who loves us so selflessly that He has chosen to give Himself to suffer and die as our Substitute….

So what actually happened on that hill far away as the Son of God hung between heaven and earth? Did Christ bear the wrath of God at Calvary? What part did the Father act in the suffering and death of Christ? A number of Scriptures bear a consistent testimony to answer these questions:

(quotes Acts 2:23, 24; Acts 4:24-28) ….

Did the Father cause the suffering and death of Christ?

Yes and no!

Yes, if we mean He delivered Him over to suffering and death according to His own wise purpose of grace. Yes, if we mean that the Father gave up His Son to experience the tormenting psychological agony of our guilt.

No, if we mean He acted as an arbitrary source of pain and death, as the tormentor and executioner of His Son. No, if we mean that the Father assumed a position of vicious hostility toward His Son. Christ suffered and died at *our* hands, under the burden of *our* sin, by the gracious, self-sacrificing purpose of the Father….

In holy hatred of sin and unrelenting love for the sinner, the Father handed over His Son to bear the guilt inherent in our sin and to endure the selfish, murderous rage lashing out from our sin. This fits perfectly with Paul’s definition of divine wrath. He explains that it is God giving sinners over to receive in themselves the penalty inherent in their sin (Romans 1:18-28). Christ felt “forsaken” by God, “delivered” up to suffer all that sin ultimately is, not pounced upon with hostility.

The Father was right there with His Son all along, behind the darkening veil imposed by our sin, feeling the pain of the agonizing separation.

I can love a God like that. I am so glad He is that kind of God. You can love Him too. I know you can, because your heart, like mine, yearns to love and be loved with such passionate grace.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Aaron] #108615
02/19/09 03:14 AM
02/19/09 03:14 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Jude 7 - we have the example of Sodom and Gomorrah that "undergo the punishment of eternal fire".

In Heb 12 we see the "discipline" of each of the sons that God loves.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108623
02/19/09 05:08 AM
02/19/09 05:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No comment on the Ty Gibson quote? Regarding Jude 7, this sort of begs the question. Hosea 11 says, "How can I give you up?" and cites Sodom and Gomorrah as an example (one of the cities of the plane).

Regarding Heb. 12, is the discipline that God does (manufactures) something to punish, or God allows some consequence to happen?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108624
02/19/09 06:38 AM
02/19/09 06:38 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
No comment on the Ty Gibson quote?

i appreciated it and shared it as well. it also brought to light a post that had been "buried" over time. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #108630
02/19/09 03:41 PM
02/19/09 03:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thanks. I appreciate very much Ty's perspective. It's helped me a lot.

He has an interesting story. He was always very conscientious, but had a very negative religion, with I'd say perfectionistic leanings, but had an awakening where he just fell in love with the cross and the love of God, and his whole perspective changed, as well as his emphasis. Now he's all about God's character and what a wonderful God He is.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108650
02/19/09 08:33 PM
02/19/09 08:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I know Ty personally, we used to hang out together. You're right, he's quite a guy. When he switched his emphasis from being like Jesus to liking Jesus he experienced a radical change. So did his public ministry. By the way, Ty wrote a lengthy response to the questions I asked (you know what I'm talking about) but I'm still waiting for him to give me permission to share it with you.

PS - Please respond to the following posts on this thread:

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108651
02/19/09 08:49 PM
02/19/09 08:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
"Biblical Christianity proclaims, in extreme contrast to the third-party view of substitution, that God has given Himself as our Substitute, to bear our sin and its inherent, divinely-ordained penalty. Hence there are only two parties involved in the atonement: 1. The sinner, who has aroused in God a painful tension between a holy, rational anger against sin and an equally holy, rational mercy toward the sinner. 2. An infinitely just an definitely merciful God, who loves us so selflessly that He has chosen to give Himself to suffer and die as our Substitute…."

Tom, how do you fit the insights above in with the insights below:

Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors. Again and again men commit sin, and yet they do not seem to believe that they must suffer the penalty for breaking the law. {6BC 1095.4}

In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. The beasts for sacrificial offerings were to prefigure Christ. In the slain victim, man was to see the fulfillment for the time being of God's word, "Thou shalt surely die." And the flowing of the blood from the victim would also signify an atonement. There was no virtue in the blood of animals; but the shedding of the blood of beasts was to point forward to a Redeemer who would one day come to the world and die for the sins of men. And thus Christ would fully vindicate His Father's law. {Con 21.3}

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108663
02/19/09 10:43 PM
02/19/09 10:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: God sees and knows the difference. That’s what matters to me. This tells me tons about His character and kingdom.

T: It doesn't seem to me this would say anything good about His character or kingdom ("this" being your perception that God doesn't do anything different than someone evil, and that He alone knows the difference).

M:God is not the only one who knows He never uses force or violence to punish sinners. I also believe it.

In the past you've said that words like "sin," "pardon," and "repent," do not mean what they normally mean, and you also seem to have private meanings for the words "converted" and "born again," so I can only guess that you have some similar definition in mind for "force" and "violence." If one looks at what you write, and considers the regular dictionary meanings of these words, it's quite clear you believe (again, in accordance with the normal meaning of these words) that God uses force and violence.

Quote:
You agree with me that the outcome is the same whether God withdraws and allows 1) the pent up forces of nature to kill sinners, or 2) the devil to manipulate the forces of nature to kill sinners. In either case, sinners are killed by the forces of nature. Neither you nor I nor anyone else would be able to tell the difference.

In fact, when was the last time you got up in church and said something to the effect, “Yesterday God withdrew His protection and allowed a tornado to kill 6 people in Douglas County”? Unless God Himself told you otherwise, I suspect you would say, “Yesterday Satan manipulated the forces of nature and killed 6 people in Douglas County with a tornado”. I doubt you would publicly qualify this statement by adding, “Of course we know God is the one who allowed the devil to kill those people”. Am I right?

I don't understand your point here.

Quote:
T: I also disagree, but not only with people who use the words "violence" and "force." I also disagree with those who describe God as acting using force and violence, even if they use other words that "force" or "violence" to do so.

M:No you don’t, Tom.

Yes, I do! Of course I do! I see you describing God as doing acts of violence, and using force, even though you claim God is not using force or doing anything violent. I disagree with your descriptions, even though you don't use the word "force" or "violence."

Quote:
You have made it clear that God withdraws His protection and allows evil men and angels to harm good and innocent people (i.e. rape, abduction, murder, etc). You justify allowing the exercise of such horrendous force and violence by saying, “God must permit Satan to demonstrate the principles of his government”. And then you turn around and insist that God is innocent, that allowing it to happen is not the same thing as causing it to happen, which, of course, is technically true, but in a court of law He would be charged with negligence and dereliction of duty and sentenced to prison.

There will be a court, and God will be found innocent. God has placed Himself on trial, and the evidence will be presented, and every knee will bow and every tongue confess that God is innocent. This is what the GC is about.

It's important to see that it's not "technically true" that God's permitting something evil to happen is not the same thing as His doing it, which, by the way, is something you also agree with.

There's only two choices:

1.God Himself causes evil things to happen.
2.God permits evil things to happen.

You don't agree with 1, so only 2 is left, so I don't know what you're complaining about; you believe the same thing I do! God permits evil things to happen. I'm right, aren't I, that this is what you believe?

Quote:
Above she wrote, “Such do not always realize that judgments are from God.” You seem to be such a person, Tom. “Men flatter themselves that God is too good to punish the transgressor.” (PP 420)

This is from GC 36:

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest....Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. (GC 36)

The following quote makes clear how God punishes, and how His judgments come:

Quote:
Soon God will show that He is indeed the living God. He will say to the angels, 'No longer combat Satan in his efforts to destroy. Let him work out his malignity upon the children of disobedience; for the cup of their iniquity is full. They have advanced from one degree of wickedness to another, adding daily to their lawlessness. I will no longer interfere to prevent the destroyer from doing his work." The Review and Herald, September 17, 1901.

Notice how God shows that He is "indeed the living God."

Quote:
The promises of God in Deut. 28 do not include Him allowing the types of things that happened to Job. In fact, they emphatically promise such things will not happen. But according to you, God must permit evil men and angels to harm good and innocent people because otherwise Satan would be unable to demonstrate the principles of his government. But obviously this idea is horribly wrong because otherwise God wouldn’t promise to prevent it.

You've got me confused here. You claim that the promises of God in Deut. 28 do not include Him allowing the types of things that happened to Job, yet God allowed it. So do you think God broke His promise?

Quote:
T: The SOP says that all that man can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ. I think she is right. I think you're misunderstanding what it means to say that all that one can know of God was revealed. I understand this to be speaking of God's character. That is, what she said means the same as, "All that man can know of God's character was revealed by Jesus Christ."

M:Thank you for qualifying your interpretation of Ellen’s insight. Before you argued that Jesus demonstrated all there is to know about God’s character and kingdom; but now you are saying He didn’t necessarily demonstrate everything, that His actions and words combined reflect and reveal everything there is to know about God.

MM, I think you're confused. I'm not saying anything one iota different than I was saying before. You're the one who's taken this odd tack of interpreting her statement to mean something she didn't say. I'm just be claiming what she said is what she meant.

Quote:
I am more inclined to agree this is what Ellen had in mind, with one notable exceptions – Jesus never even hinted at commanding one of His leaders to kill sinners like God commanded Moses to kill sinners.

Here's what she said:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (2T 286)

I really don't understand the difficulty here. She is simply saying that all that we can know of God has been revealed by Jesus Christ. That means there's nothing outside of what Jesus Christ revealed that we can know of God. Simple.

Quote:
T: I believe your understanding of what God did in relation to Moses is in error, and, more importantly, that your whole approach to the problem is in error. I've indicated what I believe is the right approach several times.

M:No you haven’t, Tom.

Yes I have, MM! I wrote many paragraphs about this, outlining a suggested course of action.

Quote:
You never misquote her by saying, “All that man needs to know about God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son.” The reason you never misquote her in this way is because it agrees with my understanding.

Since all that man needs to know of God is a subset of all man can know of God, it's not misrepresenting her idea, it's just understanding the principle of subset. For example, if I say, "There's not a faster man in the city, or in the whole state!" it's not a misrepresentation if I say "There's not a faster man in the state!"

I'm a bit perplexed by your claim that "all that man needs to know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ" is a misquote, and what you believe. This means you believe that God revealed that all that man needs to know of God, but not all he can know of God. Why do you believe this to be the case?

As to your claim that "the reason you never misquote her in this way is because it agrees with my understanding," this is absurd. First of all, I didn't realize until just now that this was your understanding, so there's no way I could misquote her in the way you suggest for the purpose you are suggesting.

Now as to why I don't put it the way you suggest, it's because it's a subset of what she said. It would be like my saying, "He's the fastest man in the city!" Of course that's true, but it's not as strong a statement as saying "He's the fastest man in the state!" which, of course, includes the fact that he's the fastest man in the city.

Quote:
M: None of the sites or references you posted refutes the idea that God employed the pent up forces of nature to cause the Flood that killed sinners and destroyed the planet.

T: God did employ these pent up forces. This is what I've been saying.

M:No, Tom, you’ve been saying God simply stops preventing them from imploding upon themselves and killing sinners in the process.

That's how He employed them.

Quote:
You have been vehemently arguing against the idea that God employs them.

No I haven't. I've never argued against this idea.

Quote:
You are, of course, entitled to change your mind.

You're in error, MM. I've never argued this. You're entitled to quote something I actually said to prove your point, but I'm sure you can't, because you're asserting something I don't believe. I know what I believe, so when you assert I've said things I don't believe, I know it's not true. This is why I ask you to quote things I've said. But you don't do this. You just make false assertions.

Quote:
M: Even if we see it from your point of view, namely, that God merely allowed these forces to cause death and destruction, He still had to work hard to prevent them from exceeding His predetermined limits. In this sense He was forced to regulate them, which is not significantly different than saying He employed them to cause death and destruction.

T: I agree with the idea that He was forced to regulate them, however. I think that a significant difference is communicated in the way we put things. Regardless of the words used, my point is that it is sin which is destructive force, and not God. God is restorer. Sin, or Satan, is the destroyer. Because God allows the destructive forces of sin to destroy does not make God a destroyer. If God destroyed without reference to sin or Satan (i.e. causing destruction or death to happen which would not have happened apart from sin or Satan) that would make Him a destroyer.

M:The idea that God must regulate the imploding forces of nature to prevent them from causing more damage than He is willing to tolerate, makes it clear that the actual outcome is in accordance with His will and desire

Sorry to cut you off in mid sentence, but this isn't correct. All you can conclude is that it was not God's will that more damage take place than what God allowed to take place, and that God took steps to prevent this. That God allowed some damage to take place does not imply that God wanted some damage to take place. God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to a knowledge of the truth. Yet some perish. Why? Because they act contrary to God's will. Thus it is clear that things can happen which are contrary to God's will.

Quote:
It was generally believed by the Jews that sin is punished in this life. Every affliction was regarded as the penalty of some wrongdoing, either of the sufferer himself or of his parents. It is true that all suffering results from the transgression of God's law, but this truth had become perverted. Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin. Hence one upon whom some great affliction or calamity had fallen had the additional burden of being regarded as a great sinner. (DA 471)

Please note that it is Satan who is the author of sin and all its results, and that it is Satan who has led men to view disease and death (or one could say "destruction and death") as proceeding from God. It doesn't. It proceeds from Satan.

Quote:
You wrote, “The fact that two results are the same does not mean the causes are the same.” Please explain how the causes and results she describes in the passage posted above (3SG 79-81) differ from the causes and results that occur when God allows Satan to use fire and water to kill people and to destroy the earth.

The causes are different in that in the case of God, He at times permits evil beings to do evil things; He doesn't do evil things Himself. However, evil beings actually do evil things, causing evil to occur. God does not cause evil to occur; at times He permits it to occur.

Quote:
So, I hear you saying it is essentially the same thing whether God or Satan does something that results in the forces of nature killing sinners and destroying the earth.

No, I'm saying the exact opposite of what you're hearing. Perhaps you should stand on your head smile

It's essentially diametrically opposed, completely different, whether God or Satan does something that results in the forces of nature killing sinners and destroying the earth. Satan actively does these things, and it is his will to do so. God permits certain things to occur contrary to His will. Completely different.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108666
02/19/09 10:57 PM
02/19/09 10:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding 108651, you've asked this many times, and I've answered it many times. The brief answer is that I'm considering "justice" differently than you are. Here's something to look at:

http://www.sharktacos.com/God/cross1.html

Take a special look at the part which speak of "justice."

Page 28 of 100 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!