HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 36 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109029
02/26/09 09:00 PM
02/26/09 09:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:There are other quotes to that make the same point, that the cross made the universe eternally secure.

M:Were unfallen FMAs secure before the cross? If not, please explain.

From the context, they weren't completely secure until the cross. This doesn't mean they were completely insecure before the cross. The EGW quote points out that the universe was made secure by the cross, referencing angels specifically in this context. So we can conclude that before the cross, there was some level of uncertainty, which was rectified by the cross.

Quote:
T:Just based on Scripture, I suppose one could deduce that the Scriptures regarding Christ succeeding were conditional. It makes sense, on the basis that Christ came as a human being with free will. What actually brought this to my attention, however, were the SOP statements, that all heaven was imperiled, that Christ came at the risk of failure and eternal loss, etc.

M:Is there anything in the Bible to indicate God didn't know Jesus would succeed on the cross? If not, are you relying on the SOP? Please explain.

I did explain. It's right above your question.

Quote:
You have not yet verified this view of why God barred access to the tree of life. You simply expect me to take it at your word.

Not my word, but your brain.

Quote:
I have posted several passages which clearly explain why God barred access to the tree of life and none of them include your view.

This reminds me of when Jesus said, "Beware the leaven of the Pharisees" and the disciples said, "this is because we didn't bring bread."

Anyway, her explanation is in line with what I explained. I'm sure Ellen White understood that life didn't come from the tree, but came from God.

Quote:
T:Just think about it. Does it really make sense that Jesus Christ would explain His death to Nicodemus in an unclear fashion?

M:Are you suggesting Nicodemus clearly understood why Jesus had to die after his interview with Jesus? If so, where is the proof?

You didn't answer my question. I'm suggesting that Jesus Christ clearly explained things to Nicodemus. Please answer my question. Do you think it makes sense that Jesus Christ would explain His death to Nicodemus in an unclear fashion?

Quote:
There is no recorded evidence that Moses clearly explained why Jesus had to die or that animal sacrifices symbolized Jesus' death.

Again, if you don't think Jesus Christ explained this clearly, you surely won't think Moses did. We already have another thread discussing whether Scripture explains the meaning of Christ's death clearly.

You've asserted several times that you think only Ellen White explained this clearly; neither Paul, nor John, nor Jesus Christ, nor anywhere in Scripture. Given this is what you think, what's the purpose of singling out Moses? It's certainly easier to see that the meaning of Christ's death was clearly explained by Him (and the same thing could be said about John or Paul -- or Peter and other NT writers -- than Moses) than Moses, so I don't see the point in discussing this.

As God said to Jeremiah, "If you have run with the footmen, and they have wearied you, then how can you contend with horses?"

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #109044
02/27/09 03:17 AM
02/27/09 03:17 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
1. "From the context, they weren't completely secure until the cross. . . So we can conclude that before the cross, there was some level of uncertainty, which was rectified by the cross."

2. "Is there anything in the Bible to indicate God didn't know Jesus would succeed on the cross? If not, are you relying on the SOP? Please explain." I did explain. It's right above your question.

3."Anyway, her explanation is in line with what I explained. I'm sure Ellen White understood that life didn't come from the tree, but came from God."

4. "Do you think it makes sense that Jesus Christ would explain His death to Nicodemus in an unclear fashion?"

1. It is amazing to me you actually believe the angels were not secure before the cross.
2. Relying on the SOP is fine.
3. God established things in such a way that the life He gave is perpetuated through eating the fruit He supplies.
4. There is no biblical record of Jesus clearly explaining to Nicodemus why He had to die. That's the point.

PS - These insights speak to the question that serves as title for this thread. God required the Jews to sacrifice animals but there is no biblical record which clearly explains why. The assumption is they obeyed for reasons that could be construed as slavish.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109075
02/27/09 05:03 PM
02/27/09 05:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.Your phrasing is vague. Here's what she said:

Quote:
Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure.(DA 764)

So the universe was not made eternally secure until the cross. If you read the whole chapter, she discusses this concept at length. There were still doubts until the cross because certain issues were not clear in the minds of the angels.

Quote:
3. God established things in such a way that the life He gave is perpetuated through eating the fruit He supplies.

As well as breathing, and other things.

4.Of course there's a Biblical record. It's in John 3. Nicodemus thought the explanation was clear, as the SOP points out.

Quote:
PS - These insights speak to the question that serves as title for this thread. God required the Jews to sacrifice animals but there is no biblical record which clearly explains why. The assumption is they obeyed for reasons that could be construed as slavish.

These "insights" are simply untrue. The Bible is clear in regards to Christ's died. We've got another thread discussing this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #109174
03/01/09 05:05 PM
03/01/09 05:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
There were still doubts until the cross because certain issues were not clear in the minds of the angels.

True, but where we seem to differ is I do not apply this to their thoughts and feelings about the character and kingdom of God. I believe they were totally secure in their thoughts and feelings about the character and kingdom of God from the moment war broke out in heaven (which is why they sided with God and not Satan). You seem to think otherwise.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109179
03/01/09 05:52 PM
03/01/09 05:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
From my reading of the account, things weren't completely clear until the cross. You seem to see this in regarding to Satan (i.e., that they didn't understand Satan's character completely until the cross) but seem not to see this in relation to God. However, it can be seen in at least two ways that God's character was involved in this as well, and not just Satan's.

The first way is that to the extent that they (or we) were confused regarding Satan's character, they (or we) are confused about God's character. This is inevitable. Misunderstanding Satan is misunderstanding sin, and misunderstanding God.

The second way is that the angels were expecting God to wipe humans out instead of giving them His Son.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #109228
03/02/09 04:02 PM
03/02/09 04:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I see no relationship between not understanding Satan's accusations about God and not understanding God. They couldn't understand how such an intelligent angel could find fault with such an intelligent God.

Secondly, the angels expected God to wipe out sinners just prior to Jesus' incarnation for the simple reason many of them had long ago filled their cup of woe to overflowing. But as in the case of Pharaoh God would use the unpardonable sinners to demonstrate His power and praise - which He did mightily and wonderfully.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109230
03/02/09 04:06 PM
03/02/09 04:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Is it possible to obey God satisfactorily without having satisfactory reasons why? Yes, of course. People have had to do it since the beginning of time. A&E were not given all the reasons why not to eat of the forbidden tree. Such obedience is in no way considered slavish.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109255
03/02/09 06:16 PM
03/02/09 06:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Is it possible to obey God satisfactorily without having satisfactory reasons why?

Why do you think God would be happy with a robotic obedience?

Quote:
Yes, of course. People have had to do it since the beginning of time. A&E were not given all the reasons why not to eat of the forbidden tree. Such obedience is in no way considered slavish.

Jesus said he no longer called "us" slaves but friends because a slave does not know what his master is doing, but He has told us all things He heard from the Father.

Quote:
15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.(John 15)

So Jesus seems to have tied together the idea of being a friend to understanding. The obedience of a slave is thus seen to be based on ignorance, whereas the obedience of a friend is based on understanding.

There are a number of parables which also deal with this theme. For example, the parable of the talents, where three servants are given a differing amount of talents comes to mind. The wicked servant acted in ignorance and simply buried his talent, but was reprimanded for it.

Slavish obedience forms the backdrop of the Old Covenant.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #109297
03/03/09 06:02 PM
03/03/09 06:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you seem to be implying that you know enough of the reasons why God requires obedience so that you are obeying Him as a friend and not as a servant. You seem to be contrasting friend and servant as though being a servant is bad or less than desirable. But the following passages place the concept of friend and servant in a different light:

But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him.

And when his friends heard [of it], they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and [some] of you shall they cause to be put to death.

It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more [shall they call] them of his household?

Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall show judgment to the Gentiles.

And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? Blessed [is] that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

His lord said unto him, Well done, [thou] good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, [the same] shall be last of all, and servant of all.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109331
03/03/09 11:27 PM
03/03/09 11:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:Tom, you seem to be implying that you know enough of the reasons why God requires obedience so that you are obeying Him as a friend and not as a servant. You seem to be contrasting friend and servant as though being a servant is bad or less than desirable.

No, I'm not implying anything about me, but Jesus Christ was implying something about God, when He said

Quote:
15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.(John 15)

It sounds to me like He is speaking of this as good thing, to be called friend rather than servant. You don't think He had this in mind?

Page 28 of 36 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!