HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 46 of 100 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109442
03/05/09 08:07 PM
03/05/09 08:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, Ellen wrote, “God has given to men a declaration of His character and of His method of dealing with sin.” Here’s how she describes the justice and judgment of God:

Quote:
The Lord declares by the prophet Isaiah: "Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him." "Woe unto the wicked! it shall be ill with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him." Isaiah 3:10, 11. "Though a sinner do evil an hundred times," says the wise man, "and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before Him: but it shall not be well with the wicked." Ecclesiastes 8:12, 13. And Paul testifies that the sinner is treasuring up unto himself "wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; who will render to every man according to his deeds;" "tribulation and anguish upon every soul of man that doeth evil." Romans 2:5, 6,9. {GC 540.3}

"No fornicator, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God." Ephesians 5:5, A.R.V. "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14. "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie." Revelation 22:14, 15. {GC 541.1}

God has given to men a declaration of His character and of His method of dealing with sin. "The Lord God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty." Exodus 34:6, 7. "All the wicked will He destroy." "The transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off." Psalms 145:20; 37:38. The power and authority of the divine government will be employed to put down rebellion; yet all the manifestations of retributive justice will be perfectly consistent with the character of God as a merciful, long-suffering, benevolent being. {GC 541.2}

God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes. {GC 541.3}

The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins. The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will? {GC 541.4}

Those who have chosen Satan as their leader and have been controlled by his power are not prepared to enter the presence of God. Pride, deception, licentiousness, cruelty, have become fixed in their characters. Can they enter heaven to dwell forever with those whom they despised and hated on earth? Truth will never be agreeable to a liar; meekness will not satisfy self-esteem and pride; purity is not acceptable to the corrupt; disinterested love does not appear attractive to the selfish. What source of enjoyment could heaven offer to those who are wholly absorbed in earthly and selfish interests? {GC 542.1}

Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. {GC 542.2}

Like the waters of the Flood the fires of the great day declare God's verdict that the wicked are incurable. They have no disposition to submit to divine authority. Their will has been exercised in revolt; and when life is ended, it is too late to turn the current of their thoughts in the opposite direction, too late to turn from transgression to obedience, from hatred to love. {GC 543.1}

In sparing the life of Cain the murderer, God gave the world an example of what would be the result of permitting the sinner to live to continue a course of unbridled iniquity. Through the influence of Cain's teaching and example, multitudes of his descendants were led into sin, until "the wickedness of man was great in the earth" and "every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." "The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence." Genesis 6:5, 11. {GC 543.2}

In mercy to the world, God blotted out its wicked inhabitants in Noah's time. In mercy He destroyed the corrupt dwellers in Sodom. Through the deceptive power of Satan the workers of iniquity obtain sympathy and admiration, and are thus constantly leading others to rebellion. It was so in Cain's and in Noah's day, and in the time of Abraham and Lot; it is so in our time. It is in mercy to the universe that God will finally destroy the rejecters of His grace. {GC 543.3}

"The wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23. While life is the inheritance of the righteous, death is the portion of the wicked. Moses declared to Israel: "I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil." Deuteronomy 30:15. The death referred to in these scriptures is not that pronounced upon Adam, for all mankind suffer the penalty of his transgression. It is "the second death" that is placed in contrast with everlasting life. {GC 544.1}

In consequence of Adam's sin, death passed upon the whole human race. All alike go down into the grave. And through the provisions of the plan of salvation, all are to be brought forth from their graves. "There shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust;" "for as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." Acts 24:15; I Corinthians 15:22. But a distinction is made between the two classes that are brought forth. "All that are in the graves shall hear His voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation." John 5:28, 29. They who have been "accounted worthy" of the resurrection of life are "blessed and holy." "On such the second death hath no power." Revelation 20:6. But those who have not, through repentance and faith, secured pardon, must receive the penalty of transgression--"the wages of sin." They suffer punishment varying in duration and intensity, "according to their works," but finally ending in the second death. Since it is impossible for God, consistently with His justice and mercy, to save the sinner in his sins, He deprives him of the existence which his transgressions have forfeited and of which he has proved himself unworthy. Says an inspired writer: "Yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be." And another declares: "They shall be as though they had not been." Psalm 37:10; Obadiah 16. Covered with infamy, they sink into hopeless, eternal oblivion. {GC 544.2}

Thus will be made an end of sin, with all the woe and ruin which have resulted from it. Says the psalmist: "Thou hast destroyed the wicked, Thou hast put out their name forever and ever. O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end." Psalm 9:5, 6. John, in the Revelation, looking forward to the eternal state, hears a universal anthem of praise undisturbed by one note of discord. Every creature in heaven and earth was heard ascribing glory to God. Revelation 5:13. There will then be no lost souls to blaspheme God as they writhe in never-ending torment; no wretched beings in hell will mingle their shrieks with the songs of the saved. {GC 545.1}

I hear you saying this describes symbolic fire.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109446
03/05/09 08:46 PM
03/05/09 08:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

You need to check your hearing!

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

Quote:
At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. (DA 108)

I've said this describes symbolic fire. I've said the GC passage describes a symbolic vision. I've said that to understand Ellen White's views on a subject, we need to consider all she wrote about the subject.

I've asked how your view of the GC passage harmonizes with DA 764 and DA 108. Many times I've asked this. I still don't know.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109448
03/05/09 11:00 PM
03/05/09 11:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: I agree with your conclusion, but this is because I see what's happening in GC 672, 673 very differently than you do. It appears to me that you see these things as essentially the same, the principle difference being one of duration.

M:That’s because you’re not listening to me. You’ve made up your mind that my view is described in GC 535 save for the duration.

To a large degree I made up mind in regards to this because this is what you said! I asked you a direct question, and you answered it "yes."

Quote:
Please cut and paste sentences from GC 535 that you believe describes my view. If you dishonor my request and ignore it, I will simply keep asking it until you do. So, please, save us the trouble and simply honor my request now. Thank you.

Anymore than you're "dishonoring my request" by not answering my question? I've asked you repeatedly, over and over, again and again, what's the difference between your view and the one she describes other than duration, and so far all I've gotten is disembodied spirits.

Why don't you "please, save us the trouble and simply honor my request now."? Regarding your request, I would quote the whole thing, except for duration:

How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in a burning hell. Said a learned doctor of divinity: "The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. When they see others who are of the same nature and born under the same circumstances, plunged in such misery, and they so distinguished, it will make them sensible of how happy they are." Another used these words: "While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!"

Where, in the pages of God's word, is such teaching to be found? Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage? No, no; such is not the teaching of the Book of God. Those who present the views expressed in the quotations given above may be learned and even honest men, but they are deluded by the sophistry of Satan. He leads them to misconstrue strong expressions of Scripture, giving to the language the coloring of bitterness and malignity which pertains to himself, but not to our Creator. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11.

Why, if I don't instantly do just what you want am I "dishonoring your request" and "wasting time," but you can refuse to answer my questions again and again and that's not "dishonoring my request"?

Here are three questions I'd like answered:

1.How does your view harmonize with DA 764 and DA 108. (if you want to be more ambitious, add GC 535-536 and GC 541-543).

2.Why do you think God is capable of acting in accordance with the viewpoint you hold? (i.e. burn people alive for many hours or days).

3.What is different about the view you hold and what Ellen White describes, other than duration?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109475
03/06/09 04:29 PM
03/06/09 04:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

You need to check your hearing!

Do you think that particular passage in the GC is describing literal fire? Please explain.

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. (DA 108)

I've said this describes symbolic fire. I've said the GC passage describes a symbolic vision. I've said that to understand Ellen White's views on a subject, we need to consider all she wrote about the subject. I've asked how your view of the GC passage harmonizes with DA 764 and DA 108. Many times I've asked this. I still don't know.

If the passages above are describing symbolic fire, how do you explain the fact it causes the "elements of the earth to melt with fervent heat"? And, how do you explain this passage:

"The Lord cometh out of His place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain." Isaiah 26:21. "And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth. And it shall come to pass in that day, that a great tumult from the Lord shall be among them; and they shall lay hold everyone on the hand of his neighbor, and his hand shall rise up against the hand of his neighbor." Zechariah 14:12, 13. In the mad strife of their own fierce passions, and by the awful outpouring of God's unmingled wrath, fall the wicked inhabitants of the earth--priests, rulers, and people, rich and poor, high and low. "And the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried." Jeremiah 25:33. {GC 656.3}

In response to the many, many passages like this one you say, "I've said the GC passage describes a symbolic vision." What do you mean? Are you suggesting the fire described in these kinds of passages is symbolic? Please explain yourself plainly. All the vague, indistinct, ambiguous rhetoric is tedious and counterproductive. Please state your position clearly. Thank you.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109479
03/06/09 04:56 PM
03/06/09 04:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: I agree with your conclusion, but this is because I see what's happening in GC 672, 673 very differently than you do. It appears to me that you see these things as essentially the same, the principle difference being one of duration.

M:That’s because you’re not listening to me. You’ve made up your mind that my view is described in GC 535 save for the duration.

To a large degree I made up mind in regards to this because this is what you said! I asked you a direct question, and you answered it "yes."

Wow! Are you still accusing me of believing something I have clearly said I do not believe. If you won't believe me - who will you believe? Ask me your direct question again and I'll give you a direct answer - no vague, indistinct, ambiguous answer which will force you to ask it over and over again.

Quote:
M: Please cut and paste sentences from GC 535 that you believe describes my view. If you dishonor my request and ignore it, I will simply keep asking it until you do. So, please, save us the trouble and simply honor my request now. Thank you.

T: Anymore than you're "dishonoring my request" by not answering my question? I've asked you repeatedly, over and over, again and again, what's the difference between your view and the one she describes other than duration, and so far all I've gotten is disembodied spirits.

Why don't you "please, save us the trouble and simply honor my request now."? Regarding your request, I would quote the whole thing, except for duration:

How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in a burning hell. Said a learned doctor of divinity: "The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. When they see others who are of the same nature and born under the same circumstances, plunged in such misery, and they so distinguished, it will make them sensible of how happy they are." Another used these words: "While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!"

Where, in the pages of God's word, is such teaching to be found? Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage? No, no; such is not the teaching of the Book of God. Those who present the views expressed in the quotations given above may be learned and even honest men, but they are deluded by the sophistry of Satan. He leads them to misconstrue strong expressions of Scripture, giving to the language the coloring of bitterness and malignity which pertains to himself, but not to our Creator. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11.

Why, if I don't instantly do just what you want am I "dishonoring your request" and "wasting time," but you can refuse to answer my questions again and again and that's not "dishonoring my request"?

Here are three questions I'd like answered:

1.How does your view harmonize with DA 764 and DA 108. (if you want to be more ambitious, add GC 535-536 and GC 541-543).

2.Why do you think God is capable of acting in accordance with the viewpoint you hold? (i.e. burn people alive for many hours or days).

3.What is different about the view you hold and what Ellen White describes, other than duration?

Tom, you really believe I haven't honored your request and clearly answered your question - don't you! Alright, here we go line by line:

1. "The wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in a burning hell." I do not believe the wicked are dead. I believe they are alive. I do not believe they are tormented with fire and brimstone. I believe they are on a planet engulfed in fire as are the righteous. And, I do not believe there is such a thing as a "burning hell". Hell is the grave.

2. "The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. When they see others who are of the same nature and born under the same circumstances, plunged in such misery, and they so distinguished, it will make them sensible of how happy they are." I do not believe the righteous will experience joy or happiness as the wicked suffer in hell fire and torments. They will shout, Amen, in response to the justice and judgment of God.

3. "While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!" I do not believe the righteous will rejoice over the demise of the wicked as they burn and smoke eternally. Naturally, they will be glad they didn't end up suffering and dying like the wicked.

4. "Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage?" No, no; such is not the teaching of the Book of God. There will be sadness and sorrow which is why God shall have to wipe away all tears.

5. "Those who present the views expressed in the quotations given above may be learned and even honest men, but they are deluded by the sophistry of Satan. He leads them to misconstrue strong expressions of Scripture, giving to the language the coloring of bitterness and malignity which pertains to himself, but not to our Creator." I agree.

6. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11. To this I say, Amen! This is not to say, however, that God executes justice and judgment sheepishly. Although He will not gloat over their demise He will, nevertheless, dispense retributive justice and judgment with a divine vengeance. He will never look back on the lake of fire and feel as if He was too severe.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109481
03/06/09 05:27 PM
03/06/09 05:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Do you think that particular passage in the GC is describing literal fire? Please explain.

It's just describing fire. The prophet, where John or EGW, wrote down what was seen in vision.

Quote:
If the passages above are describing symbolic fire, how do you explain the fact it causes the "elements of the earth to melt with fervent heat"?

The passage I referred to doesn't say that.

Quote:
In response to the many, many passages like this one you say, "I've said the GC passage describes a symbolic vision." What do you mean?

I mean the prophet wrote down a vision, which contains symbolic elements. John is another example of this.

Rather than thinking of what is seen as being symbolic or literal, I'd suggest thinking in terms of principles and happenings. That is, what is happening at the judgment, and what are the principles involved. It's very helpful to consider all the data one has in doing this. For example, GC 541-543 is very, very helpful in this regard.

Quote:

T:To a large degree I "made up my mind" in regards to this because this is what you said! I asked you a direct question, and you answered it "yes."

M:Wow! Are you still accusing me of believing something I have clearly said I do not believe.

What is it you don't believe? You haven't said.

Quote:
If you won't believe me - who will you believe?

I'll believe me if you just tell me what it is you don't believe. So far you've mentioned "duration" and "disembodied spirits." Is there anything else?

Quote:
Ask me your direct question again and I'll give you a direct answer - no vague, indistinct, ambiguous answer which will force you to ask it over and over again.

I've been doing just this, again and again. How is your view different than the view she is arguing against, other than duration?

Quote:
Tom, you really believe I haven't honored your request and clearly answered your question - don't you!

So far, all I have is "disembodied spirits."

Quote:
Alright, here we go line by line:

1. "The wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in a burning hell." I do not believe the wicked are dead. I believe they are alive. I do not believe they are tormented with fire and brimstone. I believe they are on a planet engulfed in fire as are the righteous. And, I do not believe there is such a thing as a "burning hell". Hell is the grave.

Actually "hades" is the grave. "Hell" is fire.

You're saying here that the righteous are on a planet engulfed in flames, which causes the wicked great pain, for many hours or many days, and eventually they die. The righteous aren't affected, however, like those in the book of Daniel who were cast in the fiery furnace. This is what you're saying, right?

Quote:
2. "The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. When they see others who are of the same nature and born under the same circumstances, plunged in such misery, and they so distinguished, it will make them sensible of how happy they are." I do not believe the righteous will experience joy or happiness as the wicked suffer in hell fire and torments. They will shout, Amen, in response to the justice and judgment of God.

To clarify, you do not believe the righteous will "rejoice" when this is going on. You believe they will be sad, and suffer along with the wicked? (i.e., suffer in empathy)

Quote:
3. "While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!" I do not believe the righteous will rejoice over the demise of the wicked as they burn and smoke eternally. Naturally, they will be glad they didn't end up suffering and dying like the wicked.

Sounds rather selfish. Ok.

Quote:
4. "Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage?" No, no; such is not the teaching of the Book of God. There will be sadness and sorrow which is why God shall have to wipe away all tears.

Ok. So the righteous will suffer as well (in empathy). Will God also suffer?

Quote:
5. "Those who present the views expressed in the quotations given above may be learned and even honest men, but they are deluded by the sophistry of Satan. He leads them to misconstrue strong expressions of Scripture, giving to the language the coloring of bitterness and malignity which pertains to himself, but not to our Creator." I agree.

I do too. Where we would disagree would be I would lump your view in together with the eternal torment view in terms of mischaracterizing God's character.

Quote:
6. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11. To this I say, Amen! This is not to say, however, that God executes justice and judgment sheepishly.

What does this mean? What would be an example of sheepish execution of judgment on the part of God?

Quote:
Although He will not gloat over their demise He will, nevertheless, dispense retributive justice and judgment with a divine vengeance.

Which means what?

In conclusion, thank you for answering my question! Although it was a long time coming, you did a very thorough job, which I appreciate. It looks like there might be some elements of common ground in our views. We'll see, as you respond to my clarifying questions.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109482
03/06/09 05:49 PM
03/06/09 05:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. How does your view harmonize with DA 764 and DA 108. (if you want to be more ambitious, add GC 535-536 and GC 541-543).

There is a sense in which the radiant firelight emanating from God's presence and physical being causes sinners to feel shame and guilt for the sins they have committed. This experience is likened to fire. This is, of course, symbolic fire. It doesn't cause them or anything else to burst into flames or to burn up and turn into ashes.

There is also a sense, however, in which the radiant firelight emanating from God's presence and physical being causes the "elements of the fire to melt with fervent heat". So, this is how I harmonize the quotes in question, namely, the context makes it clear whether or not the radiant firelight emanating from God's presence and physical being is literal or symbolic.

There are other sources of fire God employs to execute justice and judgment. He uses lava, coal, oil, and lightening as fuel and fire.

Please save this answer so you never have to wonder if I've answered it. Thank you.

2. Why do you think God is capable of acting in accordance with the viewpoint you hold? (i.e. burn people alive for many hours or days).

The fact God has used literal sources of fire to burn full-cup sinners alive in the past makes it very clear it is right and righteous. God is perfect and sinless and altogether holy, just, and good, therefore, He can do no wrong. Whatever He does is right and righteous by virtue of the fact He did it.

3. What is different about the view you hold and what Ellen White describes, other than duration?

Unlike the burning bush, the sources of fire God will employ will actually burns things to ashes. Sinners will suffer mental anguish and physical pain much like Jesus did on the cross. The source of their physical pain is the literal fire that will engulf the earth and melts things with fervent heat. God will not have to do something supernatural to prevent them from dying naturally so that they can suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. Obviously, then, they will not be engulfed in flames.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109485
03/06/09 07:36 PM
03/06/09 07:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
There is a sense in which the radiant firelight emanating from God's presence and physical being causes sinners to feel shame and guilt for the sins they have committed. This experience is likened to fire. This is, of course, symbolic fire. It doesn't cause them or anything else to burst into flames or to burn up and turn into ashes.

There is also a sense, however, in which the radiant firelight emanating from God's presence and physical being causes the "elements of the fire to melt with fervent heat". So, this is how I harmonize the quotes in question, namely, the context makes it clear whether or not the radiant firelight emanating from God's presence and physical being is literal or symbolic.

There are other sources of fire God employs to execute justice and judgment. He uses lava, coal, oil, and lightening as fuel and fire.

Please save this answer so you never have to wonder if I've answered it. Thank you.

Might I ask the same favor regarding your question about what sins a born again person might commit?

Thanks for your answer. So it looks like you see what's happening as a purely physical thing. Is that correct? For example, you didn't address that the same thing which slays the wicked gives like to the righteous. I take it you see this as some sort of physical thing, that the righteous somehow receive life from the warmth or light of the "radiant firelight"?

Your answer here addresses DA 108, but I don't see how it addresses DA 764. The point in DA 764 is that the death of the wicked is not due to something God does to them, but is rather a result of their own choice, something which the angels did not understand until the cross. Had God left Satan to reap the results of his sin, he would have died, as death is the inevitable result of sin. After the cross, the angels understood this, so when the wicked die at last, this won't be mistaken. This is all in the two paragraphs of DA 764 under discussion. How does this tie in to your view of things?

Quote:
T:2. Why do you think God is capable of acting in accordance with the viewpoint you hold? (i.e. burn people alive for many hours or days).

M:The fact God has used literal sources of fire to burn full-cup sinners alive in the past makes it very clear it is right and righteous.

But in these events in the past, you see the wicked who were attacked by fire to have died instantly, don't you? I'm asking how you perceive that God would have it in Him to torture, or torment, people with literal fire for hours or days at a time.

Quote:
God is perfect and sinless and altogether holy, just, and good, therefore, He can do no wrong. Whatever He does is right and righteous by virtue of the fact He did it.

He hasn't done the judgment yet. We're not discussing something God did, but something God will do. If we want to best understand the judgment in terms of something God has done in the past, the best thing to look at would be the cross, which is precisely what Ellen White does in DA 764.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109486
03/06/09 08:36 PM
03/06/09 08:36 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Bob, I don't understand what you're doing. You just keep repeating the same thing, regardless of its truth.

An interesting accusation to be sure.

I have gone through the text surrounding and including GC 535 showing the "context and content" to be speaking of the two false doctrine "immortal soul" and "eternal hell" -- neither of which is being taught by me or GC 672-673. AND YET -- innexplicable as it may be -- this is where you would direct the reader who seeks the TRUE picture given in GC 672 not the false idea of "immortal soul" or "eternal hell".

Instructive.

I have gone through "DA 764 in detail" showing that it refers to the "end result" but does not give the full GC672-673 "detail" of the mechanisms used for things like "setting the very rocks on fire" nor does it even remotely address the GC673 detail of some of the wicked "suffering for many days LONGER" and then Satan himself suffering "much longer still".

For text that actually "mentions those details" you have to actually read GC 672.

Quote:

I've told you the number of the post which addressed the texts you brought up.

Where we found no answer at all to any of the questions listed from the text of GC 672 (as already noted here).

What we DID find there was a suggestion that we go to OTHER areas of Ellen White's writings INSTEAD of reading GC 672-673 and marking the details brought up in those questions.

SO WE DID go to a few of the other Ellen White areas mentioned in your post -- to SEE IF indeed they gave an even more DETAILED account of the GC672-673 events -- they did not. They discussed either the issue of false doctrine or free will or the fact that at the END of the GC 672-673 events - wickedness and sin would have been wiped out.

Why don't you respond to that post? Wouldn't that be a better attempt at dialog than pretending it doesn't exist?

Did you not see your post reference GC 535 and DA 674?

I thought we were all clear on that point.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #109487
03/06/09 08:45 PM
03/06/09 08:45 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Each time the post from Ellen White GC 672 below is quoted -- we get this question.

Also, please respond to the questions you've been asked. There are three in particular I'd like answered.

1.Why do you think God is capable of doing the things you think He will do?

As if I wrote that GC 672 text --

In fact my only contribution is in the list of questions at the end - still waiting for response ..

2.How do you see your view of the GC 672-673 passage harmonizing with other passages which have been cited. Let's start with one in particular, DA 764, as I'm sure you can see that this is dealing with the same topic.

As was already pointed out - in DA 764 - the subject is not about the lake of fire but about the Cross of Christ and free will choice and the only reference to the fate of the wicked is in the END where they have been wiped out -- NO DETAILS AT ALL in DA 764 addressing the subject of "Some burning for many days" for those DETAILS - we had to go to the pages that actually adressed that subject - GC 672-673. This too was already pointed out.

3.Is there anything different with your view and the one Ellen White argues against in GC 535-536, other than duration? In particular, how does your view harmonize with the following?

We already looked at the subject area (content and context) for GC 535 and found that IT was speaking to the false doctrine of "immortal soul" And of "eternal hell". Again we did not find any reference at all speaking to the "detail" of the "very rocks being on fire" or the "many days suffered by the wicked" or the fact that "Satan suffers much longer" etc. For those "details" we go to the pages that actually "Address them" in GC 672-673.

As already pointed out.

Quote:
The religion of the Bible, full of love and goodness, and abounding in compassion, is darkened by superstition and clothed with terror. When we consider in what false colors Satan has painted the character of God, can we wonder that our merciful Creator is feared, dreaded, and even hated? The appalling views of God which have spread over the world from the teachings of the pulpit have made thousands, yes, millions, of skeptics and infidels. (GC 536)

Indeed As Ellen White points out IN GC 534-536 -- the false doctrines on "immortal soul" and "eternal hell" are "bad" and do misrepresent God.

This too - was already pointed out.

Quote:

I understand that the context of this paragraph is the heresy of eternal torment, but don't these thoughts stand on their own? Don't they apply to any teaching which false misrepresents God's character in the manner described (e.g. "clothed with terror")?

If your argument is that answering the question for GC672-673 OR that GC672-673 is "false misrepresentation of God" then I fail to see how you sustain the charge.

ELLEN WHITE (Not Bob)
======================================================
Notice carefully that what is described below is REAL fire -- to the point that it is coming from Rocks and even reshaping the surface of the earth!

http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/g...hapter01998.htm

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin.

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething 673

lake of fire. It is the time of the judgement and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}
[/color]

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31.

They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1.

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished “according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

Great Controversy P 486
http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/g...hapter01984.htm

In the typical service the high priest, having made the atonement for Israel, came forth and blessed the congregation. So Christ, at the close of His work as mediator, will appear, "without sin unto salvation" (Hebrews 9:28), to bless His waiting people with eternal life. As the priest, in removing the sins from the sanctuary, confessed them upon the head of the scapegoat, so Christ will place all these sins upon Satan, the originator and instigator of sin. The scapegoat, bearing the sins of Israel, was sent away "unto a land not inhabited" (Leviticus 16:22); so Satan, bearing the guilt of all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit, will be for a thousand years confined to the earth, which will then be desolate, without inhabitant, and he will at last suffer the
full penalty of sin in the fires that shall destroy all the wicked. [/b]
; Thus the great plan of redemption will reach its accomplishment in the final eradication of sin and the deliverance of all who have been willing to renounce evil. {GC 485.3}

[/quote]

Then of course as just stated in my previous post -- I would ask some very pointed questions that ask the reader to actually notice a couple of inconvenient details in the quotes above.

But some readers might simply consider this the "bad Ellen White" part of the Great Controversy so they can simply ignore it. Or maybe when they read this part of GC -- instead of seeing the words above -

==================================================== from page 42 of this thread
Questions for the reader.

1. What does the phrase “His fury upon all their armies” refer too in the text above”?
2. What does the phrase “Suffer the full penalty of sin in the fires” refer to – in the text above?
3. Is it the same as the phrase above “The full penalty of the LAW has been visited ”??
4. When the text speaks of those who “suffer for many days” does this mean all or just some?
5. When the text says that by comparison “he is still to live and suffer on” after all others have perished… is that fair?
6. In the text the argument is made that in this way “the demands of justice have been met” is that really true as you see it?
7. In the text above when it is said that ”punishment is far greater” for Satan than for others suffering there – are ALL punished??

=========================

It is very hard to miss the point that these questions deal with "content and context" for GC 672-673 and so must be answered "From that text" instead of going anywhere BUT that text to find some other detail to discuss.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/06/09 08:51 PM.
Page 46 of 100 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!