HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 36 1 2 33 34 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #111548
04/10/09 06:42 PM
04/10/09 06:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:So you're saying if you heard a voice commanding you to kill your son, you would do so, reasoning:

1. God is holy, just, and good.
2. His law is holy, just, and good.

Therefore, I can obey the command to sacrifice my son without understanding the reasons why.

M:Yes, of course. Wouldn't you?

No. I think this is scary. Very scary. Is there anything you wouldn't do?

Quote:
As in the case of Abraham, however, I would anticipate God calling it off at the last second.

And if that didn't happen?

Quote:
PS - I have no doubt God will never command me to sacrifice my son. Do you feel the same way?

The same way as you? No.

Quote:
Tom, do you see a difference between obeying on the "basis of intelligent appreciation of His character and understanding of His law" versus obeying "even though we do not understand the reasons why"?

When you say "even though we do not understand the reasons why"? do you mean all the reasons, or any of the reasons?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111597
04/11/09 05:31 AM
04/11/09 05:31 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
One of the first lessons a child needs to learn is the lesson of obedience. Before he is old enough to reason, he may be taught to obey. {CG 82.4}

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #111598
04/11/09 05:35 AM
04/11/09 05:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
A dog can learn to obey without being able to reason as well. This doesn't mean we shouldn't reason too.

God has given us reasoning abilities, and it is God's desire that we use these abilities.

Quote:
All whom God has blessed with reasoning powers are to become intellectual Christians. They are not requested to believe without evidence;(RH 3/18/87)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111600
04/11/09 07:06 AM
04/11/09 07:06 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
God desires man to exercise his reasoning powers; and the study of the Bible will strengthen and elevate the mind as no other study can. Yet we are to beware of deifying reason, which is subject to the weakness and infirmity of humanity. If we would not have the Scriptures clouded to our understanding, so that the plainest truths shall not be comprehended, we must have the simplicity and faith of a little child, ready to learn, and beseeching the aid of the Holy Spirit. A sense of the power and wisdom of God, and of our inability to comprehend His greatness, should inspire us with humility, and we should open His word, as we would enter His presence, with holy awe. When we come to the Bible, reason must acknowledge an authority superior to itself, and heart and intellect must bow to the great I AM. {SC 109.3}

Using reason to evaluate evidence is one thing. But using reason to filter God's commands is quite another. God wants us to use reason, but I don't think He intended to lose His job.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111610
04/11/09 02:53 PM
04/11/09 02:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T:So you're saying if you heard a voice commanding you to kill your son, you would do so, reasoning:

1. God is holy, just, and good.
2. His law is holy, just, and good.

Therefore, I can obey the command to sacrifice my son without understanding the reasons why.

M: Yes, of course. Wouldn't you?

T: No. I think this is scary. Very scary. Is there anything you wouldn't do?

Do you think there is anything God wouldn't command me to do? Also, do you think it was scary for Abraham? Or, do you think it was a beautiful thing that he obeyed God without questioning why?

Quote:
M: As in the case of Abraham, however, I would anticipate God calling it off at the last second.

T: And if that didn't happen?

Can you think of a situation in which God wouldn't call it off?

Quote:
M: I have no doubt God will never command me to sacrifice my son. Do you feel the same way?

T: The same way as you? No.

Please explain the differences between what I believe about it and what you do.

Quote:
M: Tom, do you see a difference between obeying on the "basis of intelligent appreciation of His character and understanding of His law" versus obeying "even though we do not understand the reasons why"?

T: When you say "even though we do not understand the reasons why"? do you mean all the reasons, or any of the reasons?

Use Abraham as an example. How many reasons did God give him when He commanded him to sacrifice his son? And, did Abraham understand those reasons?

Also, what was the basis of Abraham's obedience? Was it based on perfect understanding of the reasons why God commanded him to sacrifice his son? Or, was it based solely on the fact he trusted God and believed things would make sense eventually? And, did believing that God could resurrect his son if need be count as a reason why he should obey God?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #111620
04/11/09 05:45 PM
04/11/09 05:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Using reason to evaluate evidence is one thing. But using reason to filter God's commands is quite another.

This is a red herring. No one is saying anything about "filtering God's commands."

Let's make an apples to apples comparison. If God does not ask us to believe without giving evidence, the only way it could be true that God wants us to obey Him without evaluating evidence would be if obedience has nothing to do with believing. Is this what you're wishing to assert? If not, then reason does come into play.

Quote:
God wants us to use reason, but I don't think He intended to lose His job.

So if we reason, God can't do His job? This seems to me to be the opposite of what God wishes to communicate to us. For example, to present ourselves a living sacrifice is our reasonable service, which is to say, as we use our reason to evaluate the evidence, we are constrained to give ourselves to God, presenting ourselves as a living sacrifice. To present ourselves a living sacrifice is to love God with all our heart and soul and mind and strength, which is obedience to the first and greatest commandment.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111622
04/11/09 05:59 PM
04/11/09 05:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: No. I think this is scary. Very scary. Is there anything you wouldn't do?

M:Do you think there is anything God wouldn't command me to do? Also, do you think it was scary for Abraham? Or, do you think it was a beautiful thing that he obeyed God without questioning why?

Let's answer my question first please. You're saying that if God commanded you to kill your son, you would "of course" do it. Is there anything you wouldn't do?

Quote:
T: And if that didn't happen?

M:Can you think of a situation in which God wouldn't call it off?

Can you? This is a problem you need to resolve, MM. It doesn't apply to me, because I'm not willing to "of course" kill because I hear a voice I identify as God's voice telling me to do so.

What happens if you're wrong about the voice? That would be a situation where God wouldn't call it off. You'd be killing your son, or some other terrible thing, under the delusion that God told you to do so. People do this sort of thing all the time.

I asked you earlier in this thread how you would know if a voice telling you to do something was God's or not, and you responded very well, saying you would do so by knowing God's character and His law. You seem to be backing away from this now, being willing to "of course" kill your son, which is, "of course" both contrary to God's character and His law. Would you be willing to "of course" do other things that you perceive to be contrary to His character and His law? (I'm under the assumption that you perceive killing your son to be contrary to His character and law. Please remember my question was related to you and not Abraham, whose situation was different than yours is now. You affirmed you would be willing to "of course" kill your son if God so commanded.)

Quote:
M: I have no doubt God will never command me to sacrifice my son. Do you feel the same way?

T: The same way as you? No.

M:Please explain the differences between what I believe about it and what you do.

You don't seem to evaluate the feasibility of commands based on your conscience and knowledge of God's character. That is, it appears to me, you would do something contrary to your beliefs as to what is right if you believed God were telling you to do so.

Quote:
M: Tom, do you see a difference between obeying on the "basis of intelligent appreciation of His character and understanding of His law" versus obeying "even though we do not understand the reasons why"?

T: When you say "even though we do not understand the reasons why"? do you mean all the reasons, or any of the reasons?

M:Use Abraham as an example. How many reasons did God give him when He commanded him to sacrifice his son? And, did Abraham understand those reasons?

Also, what was the basis of Abraham's obedience? Was it based on perfect understanding of the reasons why God commanded him to sacrifice his son? Or, was it based solely on the fact he trusted God and believed things would make sense eventually? And, did believing that God could resurrect his son if need be count as a reason why he should obey God?

I asked you one question, and you ask me six back without answering the one I asked. Let's step back a moment. You asked me if I see a difference between obeying God on the basis of an intelligent appreciation of His character and obeying Him even though we don't understand the reasons why. I'm asking you if by "the reasons why" you mean "all of the reasons why" or "any of the reasons why." I don't see why Abraham needs to be discussed to answer this question.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111658
04/12/09 05:05 AM
04/12/09 05:05 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Using reason to evaluate evidence is one thing. But using reason to filter God's commands is quite another.

This is a red herring. No one is saying anything about "filtering God's commands."

Didn't you say that my father was justified in disregarding "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy" in Exodus because *he* can't see any good reason for it? It's not that he's not sure God commanded it. It's not that he thinks God commmanded another day to be kept holy. It's not that he believes it's a sin to do it. It's just that he sees no reason to do it.

It's not a red herring. It is the biggest problem I see with your position. Of course, it is entirely possible that this is not your position. If so, please feel free to clarify.

Let's make an apples to apples comparison. If God does not ask us to believe without giving evidence, the only way it could be true that God wants us to obey Him without evaluating evidence would be if obedience has nothing to do with believing. Is this what you're wishing to assert? If not, then reason does come into play.

Believing and obedience are closely tied. Our difference is in what to believe. My position is that it is sufficient to believe that God is wise and all-loving; that's enough for me to obey whatever He says. Your position, as I understand it, is that you will only obey if YOU believe there is a good reason for the command.

Quote:
God wants us to use reason, but I don't think He intended to lose His job.

So if we reason, God can't do His job? This seems to me to be the opposite of what God wishes to communicate to us.

We can reason while letting God keep His job. But if you require God to be subject to your reason, which is subject to the weakness and infirmity of humanity, you've got it upside down.
Quote:
God desires man to exercise his reasoning powers; and the study of the Bible will strengthen and elevate the mind as no other study can. Yet we are to beware of deifying reason, which is subject to the weakness and infirmity of humanity. If we would not have the Scriptures clouded to our understanding, so that the plainest truths shall not be comprehended, we must have the simplicity and faith of a little child, ready to learn, and beseeching the aid of the Holy Spirit. {SC 109.3}

Note that the "simplicity and faith of a little child" is honorable, not comparable to an animal's obedience.

I think I've said it in this thread before, that you and I would see things more closely if you study the child-training principles in the SOP. I've studied it, and tried it out in real life, and I can attest that allowing a child to trust his reason more than his parents' word is potentially fatal. The same holds true for our Heavenly Father and His children.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #111666
04/12/09 04:43 PM
04/12/09 04:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:Using reason to evaluate evidence is one thing. But using reason to filter God's commands is quite another.

T:This is a red herring. No one is saying anything about "filtering God's commands."

A:Didn't you say that my father was justified in disregarding "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy" in Exodus because *he* can't see any good reason for it? It's not that he's not sure God commanded it. It's not that he thinks God commmanded another day to be kept holy. It's not that he believes it's a sin to do it. It's just that he sees no reason to do it.

It's not a red herring. It is the biggest problem I see with your position. Of course, it is entirely possible that this is not your position. If so, please feel free to clarify.

I didn't say anything about filtering God's commands. You're somehow equating not believing there is a reason to do something with filtering God's commands. Please explain your reasoning here.

Quote:
Believing and obedience are closely tied. Our difference is in what to believe. My position is that it is sufficient to believe that God is wise and all-loving; that's enough for me to obey whatever He says.

I don't think this is sufficient. What if God commands you to do something you think is wrong? (I mean morally wrong). Would you do it? Do you think God would do such a thing?

Quote:
Your position, as I understand it, is that you will only obey if YOU believe there is a good reason for the command.

I'm arguing against the idea that God wants us to obey Him with no idea as to why. I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm not saying we should set ourselves up as a judge over God, which sounds like what you're suggesting I'm saying.

Quote:
We can reason while letting God keep His job. But if you require God to be subject to your reason, which is subject to the weakness and infirmity of humanity, you've got it upside down.

Of course. It sounds like you may be understanding me to be saying something I'm not.

Again, what I'm saying is I don't believe God wants us to obey Him without having any idea as to why we are doing what He says. I'm speaking of moral issues here.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111718
04/14/09 04:01 AM
04/14/09 04:01 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I didn't say anything about filtering God's commands. You're somehow equating not believing there is a reason to do something with filtering God's commands. Please explain your reasoning here.

God says something (e.g. "keep the Sabbath holy") and you refuse to obey because you don't see a good reason for it. That, in my book, is a clear example of filtering God's commands by human reason.

What if God commands you to do something you think is wrong? (I mean morally wrong). Would you do it? Do you think God would do such a thing?

This is just what I'm talking about.

"God commands you to do something." If that is a known fact, "Would I do it?" is not even a question the true disciple asks. Of course he would do it. The only question at that point is how to do it.

What if he thought it was morally wrong? He has two options: 1) He can admit that God has higher moral standards and he should learn from God rather than presume to sit in judgment on the morality of God's commands.

2) He should find himself a god who measures up to his own standards of morality.

If he chooses option 2, he'll find one that looks eerily similar to himself. And he'll start thinking that he's doing pretty good, since he's reflecting his god pretty well.

The only safe option is the simple option: If God says it, do it. If something doesn't make sense, you will not gain any light or wisdom by withholding obedience, which only results in more darkness.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 35 of 36 1 2 33 34 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!