HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113156
05/16/09 04:46 AM
05/16/09 04:46 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: teresaq
[
having read through these posts several times now i get the distinct impression that what we are "arguing" about is your preconceived notions of what is believed by some of us.

it seems that if anyone says "love" you hear self-centered, worldly love, new-age, new theology.

No, I'm not judging the spiritual condition of anyone. After all I don't know any of you personally.
Nor, have I ever said that this love is "self-centered, worldly love".
I did say that even our BEST concept of love falls far short of God's love and is not a reliable guide, we still need a reliable "measuring rod" (as in God's Word and commandments) to check that we are on the path of righteousness.

Quote:
i cant help how the enemy has counterfeited and led many astray. i cant let that stop me from studying Christ and "by beholding we become".

No one is trying to stop you from studying Christ and by beholding become changed.

That's my point -- we must never let "love", even when we're convinced it's the right kind of love, be the standard, we must always study Christ, His Word, His law, if we want to be changed into His image.

Yet, when people tell me God's Word and commands are not above our love, what am I supposed to think? And I have been told that.

Quote:

how can there possibly be any kind of discussion if one is not hearing, nor responding to what is said, but to what is going on in their mind?

So everyone is responding to what is going on their mind.

Quote:
i am at a complete loss as to how you have not picked up that we do not have limited sickly view of Godly love, which is under discussion,

See -- you are responding to what's in your mind, not to what I said. No where have I said you have a "sickly view of Godly love".
My point was that people can never have the right view of Godly love unless they subject their ideas of that love to God's Word and law.

That was my point from the start -- OUR love, must be subjected to God's Word and commands, or it will lead astray.

Then I was told (not by you) that love is not bound by law, but love, as defined by God, determines what the law is to be.

I'm sorry but that statement troubles me.
I don't care how noble (not sickly but NOBLE) our love is, it can never, never place itself as the definer of God's law.

Quote:
nor do i understand where you have gotten the idea that any of us believe we have it.

No, we don't have godly love, we fall far far far short, and that's why we NEED to place our love under the searching light of God's Word and law. Why are people (not you) telling me that I'm "putting the cart before the horse" and "preaching another gospel" by saying we can't make our love the standard, but that we must compare it TO GOD'S WORD and law? That God's commands and Word must take precedence or be placed above our love.

Quote:
we are to study the life of Christ and as far as ive seen that pretty well covers every aspect you have mentioned.

I fully agree we need to study the life and teachings of Christ.

Quote:
and lest i be misunderstood yet again, i am in no way saying the rest of the bible should be neglected.

Indeed it shouldn't be neglected, that includes giving serious thought and study to the prophecies, and to Christ's ministry in the heavenly sanctury, as well as many other portions.

The books of Daniel and Revelation, we are told, are to receive serious study -- they deal with Great Controversy issues, Christ's heavenly ministry, and with God's judgments and final acts of putting an end to sin forever, and establishing a new heaven and earth.

We must always place our love under the scrutiny of God's Word, and let the Holy Spirit guide us THROUGH God's Word and commandments to change.

Last edited by dedication; 05/16/09 04:53 AM.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113159
05/16/09 05:40 AM
05/16/09 05:40 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
[
having read through these posts several times now i get the distinct impression that what we are "arguing" about is your preconceived notions of what is believed by some of us.

it seems that if anyone says "love" you hear self-centered, worldly love, new-age, new theology.

No, I'm not judging the spiritual condition of anyone. After all I don't know any of you personally.
Nor, have I ever said that this love is "self-centered, worldly love".

noone said you were judging the spiritual condition of anyone and so is not valid in this discussion. my point for your next sentence was that something else was going on in your mind that had nothing to do with what was said.

Quote:
I did say that even our BEST concept of love falls far short of God's love and is not a reliable guide, we still need a reliable "measuring rod" (as in God's Word and commandments) to check that we are on the path of righteousness.

noone said our best concept of love was any kind of guide for anything-again that is what you are hearing for some reason. we need to study the life of Christ who the messenger of the Lord said was a blend of the law and the gospel.

Quote:
Quote:
i cant help how the enemy has counterfeited and led many astray. i cant let that stop me from studying Christ and "by beholding we become".

No one is trying to stop you from studying Christ and by beholding become changed.

again noone said anyone was trying to stop me from anything. i was making a point, again, that you completely missed, it seems.

Quote:
Yet, when people tell me God's Word and commands are not above our love, what am I supposed to think? And I have been told that.

it wasnt in this thread unless you misread someones point.

much of this is just saying the same thing over and over with some ungodly acts.

Quote:
Then I was told (not by you) that love is not bound by law, but love, as defined by God, determines what the law is to be.

Christs life determines what the law means. as we humans do not have the right view of love, we also do not have the right view of the law. we are no more capable of judging love by the law than we are of being able to judge the law by love. and we are not even capable of rightly understanding Christs life, the bible or anything else without second-by-second surrender to God and the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
Why are people (not you) telling me that I'm "putting the cart before the horse" and "preaching another gospel" by saying we can't make our love the standard, but that we must compare it TO GOD'S WORD and law? That God's commands and Word must take precedence or be placed above our love.

noone did. you saw "our love" but noone said it.

Quote:
and lest i be misunderstood yet again, i am in no way saying the rest of the bible should be neglected.

Quote:
Indeed it shouldn't be neglected, that includes giving serious thought and study to the prophecies, and to Christ's ministry in the heavenly sanctury, as well as many other portions.

The books of Daniel and Revelation, we are told, are to receive serious study -- they deal with Great Controversy issues, Christ's heavenly ministry, and with God's judgments and final acts of putting an end to sin forever, and establishing a new heaven and earth.

We must always place our love under the scrutiny of God's Word, and let the Holy Spirit guide us THROUGH God's Word and commandments to change.

do you deep down feel inferior to others?

or do you just think you know, others dont, so you have to tell them?

do you know how to enter into a discussion and share ideas, or even disagree, without making the other person less than you?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113163
05/16/09 07:20 AM
05/16/09 07:20 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
That's my point -- we must never let "love", even when we're convinced it's the right kind of love, be the standard, we must always study Christ, His Word, His law, if we want to be changed into His image.

But you have not been told that here. "Our love" has not been the focus here, except by you. You are the only who keeps bringing it up.

Look at what you said above. You were talking about Christ's word and Christ's law in order to be changed into Christ's image. Then you switch to "our" love. How about sticking with the motif and focusing on Christ's love? Then we will all be talking about the same thing.

I'm sorry but that statement troubles me.
I don't care how noble (not sickly but NOBLE) our love is, it can never, never place itself as the definer of God's law.

Here you pull to old switcheroo again. Based on some of your earlier posts, I thought you were an experienced logician. But here you fall for one of the biggest fallacies - switching definitions.

We were talking about God's love determining what the law should be. God's love, God's law. Jesus said that the law hangs on the principle of love. It's pretty basic.

But then you switch over to "our" love again. You say that should not define God's law. Welcome to the club; we all believe that.

Unless you believe that "God's love" and "our love" are equivalent, you have fallen for a fallacy. And it is that fallacy that has driven the opposition against what you have been saying.

Because we're talking about different things, your rejection of my statements regarding the relationship between God's love and God's law is unfounded. It may turn out in the end that we have significant disagreements, but as it stands, you are fighting against a sentiment that nobody here holds.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113171
05/16/09 02:19 PM
05/16/09 02:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Dwelling on God's matchless love cannot neglect His other attributes, because it is composed of all His attributes.

Then why are there so many denominations, all teaching that God is love, but coming to so many different conclusions as to what is truth?

Because they don't know God.

I'm not so sure we can say that --
Some of those people are more "in love" with Christ then you'll hear and see in most Adventist Churches.

It can put one to shame how easily they talk about God's goodness and bring it into their daily conversation in a radiant real life way. Yet, they their beliefs often diverge into areas I don't see as Biblical.

This is irrelevant to your question. You asked why there are so many denominations, if people are dwelling on God's love. First of all, it wasn't asserted that people *were* dwelling on God's love, but we'll let that go. Your question is why, then, are there so many denominations. The answer is because they (the people that form the denominations) don't know God (don't know the truth about Him). If they did, they'd all join the same denomination, of course.

This doesn't mean there aren't true followers of God who belong to different denominations, are Catholic, or, for that matter, Buddhists or even Atheists. That's not the point.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113173
05/16/09 02:25 PM
05/16/09 02:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

We have such a reliable "measuring rod" in Jesus Christ, to check that we are on the path of righteousness.

Quote:
4He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

6He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

This mentions both the law and Jesus Christ. The Pharisees used the law as a "measuring rod," but got it all wrong. There's nothing wrong with the law, but without Christ, it will just make us into Pharisees. The true goal is to walk as He walked. Now, since Christ walked in perfect harmony to the law, in Christ we have the true picture of the "measuring rod."

Another way of seeing the importance of Christ is to remember that love is the fulfilling of the law. In Christ, we see the love of God poured out. By receiving Christ, that love can be shed about in our hearts, and by beholding Him, we can be transformed into the same image.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113174
05/16/09 02:27 PM
05/16/09 02:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Here you pull to old switcheroo again. Based on some of your earlier posts, I thought you were an experienced logician. But here you fall for one of the biggest fallacies - switching definitions.

Welcome to my world.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113180
05/16/09 04:48 PM
05/16/09 04:48 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
you make the point in the pages following this post that "our love" cannot be the basis for what is right or wrong. i believe everyone here agrees with that.

can we also agree that noone was referring to "our love" but the concept of love presented in the bible?

Love can never stand alone --
It must be guided by RIGHTEOUSNESS.

In our lesson last week a member pointed out a thought provoking point about love.
Man's first sin was committed on the rational of love.
Adam sinned out of love. He knew it was wrong to take that fruit, he knew it was going against God's express command, but he loved Eve so much he couldn't bear the thought of being separated from her -- so he ate.

Love can be deceptive -- why?
Jer. 17:9 The heart is deceitful....
It MUST be based upon righteousness.

i cant see anyone disagreeing with this. but by the same token ones idea of "righteousness" can be severely warped. far too many times it is just a word without any true conception of what it means by the user. or, as you stated, "Jer. 17:9 The heart is deceitful...."

Quote:
Adam's love was a lack of trust and reliance upon God.

i have to disagree with this because it leads to scary conclusions for me. it is basically saying that "love" is wrong. adams love was not a lack of trust and reliance upon God. adam could have, in spite of his love for eve and not wanting to be separated from her, still trusted and obeyed God.

as stated above the statement makes love wrong. and i cant believe that at that point in time adams love was "sinful" or wrong. it would have made him a sinner before he disobeyed God and ate the apple. we are not told that is so anywhere.

but since the fall "our love" is certainly sinful. nevertheless whatever real love we do possess is not wrong, only which way we choose to go because of that love.

the ultimate conclusion one would come to from that statement is that we should not love because it makes us do wrong. there is the possibility we will do wrong because we love, but doing wrong is not the ultimate result of love.

the lesson from adams mistake that we all need to learn is to trust God no matter how badly it may hurt, as with abraham and isaac. we should also probably put ourselves in adams shoes and have a little sympathy for his situation. playing the "blame game" does not in any way change the results of their actions. but acknowledging that we might have reacted the same exact way were we in his situation might go a long ways towards our own healing and restoration into Gods image.

what we need to overcome is not loving because it many times hurts very badly. if God didnt love because it can hurt so bad where would we be?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113187
05/16/09 10:15 PM
05/16/09 10:15 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

do you deep down feel inferior to others?
NO -- do you?

or do you just think you know, others dont, so you have to tell them?
NO - do you?

do you know how to enter into a discussion and share ideas, or even disagree, without making the other person less than you?
Yes, people seem to enjoy my Sabbath School Lessons because we have lively and thought provoking discussions.

Last edited by dedication; 05/16/09 10:28 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113191
05/16/09 10:34 PM
05/16/09 10:34 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
We have such a reliable "measuring rod" in Jesus Christ, to check that we are on the path of righteousness.

Amen! (including the rest of the post)

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113192
05/16/09 10:35 PM
05/16/09 10:35 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

Welcome to my world.

ROFL That's MY world. You're just a squirrel trying to get a nut. wink

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!