HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 91 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115240
06/30/09 12:41 AM
06/30/09 12:41 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Such "artificial" distinctions determine whether people are hanged for murder.

I've made clear I'm not referring to legal aspects but to physical sensations, and in this respect there is no difference between "natural" and "violent" deaths.

Quote:
Everything seems to follow from your assertion that "there is no painless death." Can you establish that assertion? For example, when a person dies in their sleep, that would seem to me to be a painless death.

I'm referring to conscious deaths. But since you consider that death during sleep is painless, do you now believe that it was the angel of God who killed the 185,000 soldiers in the Assyrian army?

Quote:
I don't believe that God kills people or inflicts them with disease to work His purposes, if that's what you're saying.

What about Ananias and Sapphira?

Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115245
06/30/09 02:28 AM
06/30/09 02:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Such "artificial" distinctions determine whether people are hanged for murder.

R:I've made clear I'm not referring to legal aspects but to physical sensations, and in this respect there is no difference between "natural" and "violent" deaths.

So?

Quote:
T:Everything seems to follow from your assertion that "there is no painless death." Can you establish that assertion? For example, when a person dies in their sleep, that would seem to me to be a painless death.

R:I'm referring to conscious deaths. But since you consider that death during sleep is painless, do you now believe that it was the angel of God who killed the 185,000 soldiers in the Assyrian army?

Your questions and points seem to be coming out of left field. I don't follow your reasoning. I've laid out in several posts on this thread in detail where I'm coming from. I'll write another post after this post to put forth some more ideas that hopefully will be helpful insofar as what I'm trying to say.

Quote:
T:I don't believe that God kills people or inflicts them with disease to work His purposes, if that's what you're saying.

R:What about Ananias and Sapphira?

I'm not excluding them or anybody. I don't believe that God kills people or inflicts them with disease to work His purposes. Satan is the author of sin and all its results. Force and violence come from Satan's kingdom, not God's. I believe these methods are completely foreign to the way God does things.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115246
06/30/09 02:37 AM
06/30/09 02:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
There are a number of things God does to ensure that we live and are in good health. He manages nature, including astronomical issues (keeping the earth on its orbit) and geological (pressures having to do with the earth, climatology, etc.) beasts large, small, and microscopic, and so forth.

God manages our "organisms" (to use the Portuguese term).

God prevents evil beings, whether human or angelic, from harming us.

God prevents us from suffering accidents.

I think this covers all the bases, but there may be something I'm leaving out.

What I believe is that God "kills" by removing His protecting hand, which results in one of the above happening. The bad things from one of the above happening may result in violent painful death, but this is not something which God is directly causing. It is something which He allows, which is far different.

Here's an example. Say you have a child, and the child wants to leave home. The child is too young, so you don't permit it. At some point, the child becomes old enough, so you permit it. Something bad happens to the child. This is not the same as if you did something bad to the child yourself. This is analogous to what I see happening in the cases where God "kills" people.

I don't believe God kills people by Himself acting violently. I don't believe God has a violent bone in His body. I believe violence is something entirely foreign to God, and it would be as impossible for God to act violently as it would be for Him to lie, for example. Violence is as foreign to His kingdom as deceit is.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115251
06/30/09 04:52 AM
06/30/09 04:52 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Even a person who dies in their sleep we cant really say they died peacefully, even tho it appears so, because no one is able to come back and tell us.

Lazarus did!
true, but then again he didnt say if he felt his death was violent or not. he was sick so maybe it did. dunno

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115253
06/30/09 05:50 AM
06/30/09 05:50 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
your other points have me thinking, roseangela, and i would like to explore them but i didnt want to get off-track on this.

Teresa, we had an interesting discussion some years ago where many of the principles touched on here were examined and presented in more detail. Take a look at it here if you can.

thank you, i will when i can.
Quote:
Quote:
t:i would also like to explore why God had/s a covering cherub to veil His glory before sin happened.

R: Perhaps a new thread could be created about this topic.
that could be done, but i think it relates to this topic, also, in that we are talking about restraining vs inflicting, i believe.

back to the op, if possible. smile
here it appears to come from the Father.
Quote:
When Christ ceases His intercession in the sanctuary, the unmingled wrath threatened against those who worship the beast and his image and receive his mark (Revelation 14:9, 10), will be poured out. The plagues upon Egypt when God was about to deliver Israel were similar in character to those more terrible and extensive judgments which are to fall upon the world just before the final deliverance of God's people. Says the revelator, in describing those terrific scourges: "There fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshiped his image." The sea "became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea." And "the rivers and fountains of waters . . . became blood." ....{GC 627.3}

here it appears to come from satan. (an integration of gc and sp).
Quote:
When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth.

In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor.

The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent. (The power attending the last warning has enraged them, and their anger is kindled against all who have received the message. {4SP 432.1})

God's long-suffering has ended. The world has rejected His mercy, despised His love, and trampled upon His law. The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn.

Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. (... The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation, and the Lord withdraws his protection, and leaves them to the mercy of the leader they have chosen. Satan will have power over those who have yielded themselves to his control, and he will plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble..... {4SP 440.3})

As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old. {GC 614.1}

does this one tie the two different pictures together?
Quote:
(As Jesus moved out of the Most Holy place, I heard the tinkling of the bells upon his garment, and as he left, a cloud of darkness covered the inhabitants of the earth.

There was then no mediator between guilty man, and an offended God.

While Jesus had been standing between God and guilty man, a restraint was upon the people; but when Jesus stepped out from between man and the Father,
the restraint was removed, and Satan had the control of man.

It was impossible for the plagues to be poured out while Jesus officiated in the Sanctuary; but as his work there is finished, as his intercession closes,

there is nothing to stay the wrath of God,
and it breaks with fury upon the shelterless head of the guilty sinner, who has slighted salvation, and hated reproof.

The saints in that fearful time, after the close of Jesus' mediation, were living in the sight of a holy God, without an intercessor. Every case was decided, every jewel numbered.

Jesus tarried a moment in the outer apartment of the heavenly Sanctuary, and the sins which had been confessed while he was in the Most Holy place, he placed back upon the originator of sin, the Devil. He must suffer the punishment of these sins. {1SG 198.1})

there are more statements (and probably some i havent discovered yet)that can also be added.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115261
06/30/09 04:24 PM
06/30/09 04:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
true, but then again he didnt say if he felt his death was violent or not. he was sick so maybe it did.

I think the SOP says something about this.

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115266
06/30/09 08:43 PM
06/30/09 08:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: Welcome to D club. I agree with Tom in that it depends on how it is carried out. Unlike Tom, though, I also believe it depends on who carries it out. God cannot sin, therefore, whatever He does is right and righteous.

t: i think toms points are worth considering, if for no other reason than that the papacy, not to mention time before, believed they were doing the will of God in persecuting and killing millions who believed differently.

John 16:2.

Quote:
t: along the same lines is the question, is God a punishing God or a God Who restrains evil? is He constantly protecting us from circumstances we are completely oblivious to. one thing i dont see in the punishing God view is His ceaseless protection of us. since our view of God determines our actions, how we treat others, that seems to be an important question.

Does God punish by withdrawing His protection? If so, who or what is responsible for causing the punishment?

Quote:
t: your conclusion, in my opinion, leaves itself wide open to justify any actions because "God would do it". if tom is right and God does not go against what He orders, then it behooves us to consider that and restudy, methinks.

I agree. And, we should probably base such studies on the assumption God is love and that He never does anything contrary to the truth.

Quote:
M: Who do you think caused the earth to open up and swallow the rebellious?

t: do you have a picture of what that would look like?

Yes. Please consider the story of Korah in the Bible.

Quote:
M: And, who do you think caused the fire that killed the 250?

t: and this one?

Yes. The following story of the 250.

Quote:
M: Finally, who do you think will cause the plagues that will kill sinners after probation closes?

t: lets take this one:

Rev 16:12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.
Rev 16:13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
Rev 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.
Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
Rev 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.

are you saying that God is the evil spirits here?

Does this plague cause anyone to die? But to answer your question, no, I don't think God is the evil spirits that come out of the mouth of the dragon, beast, or false prophet. Instead, I believe God dispatched the 6th angel who poured out the 6th vial. Do you agree?

Quote:
t: one final thought:

Today . . . heavenly messengers are passing through the length and breadth of the land, seeking to comfort the sorrowing, to protect the impenitent, to win the hearts of men to Christ. We cannot see them personally; nevertheless they are with us, guiding, directing, protecting. . . . {ML 303.2}

Amen!

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115267
06/30/09 09:00 PM
06/30/09 09:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: The earth opening up and swallowing the rebellious depicts force and violence? If so, who caused it to happen and why? What about the fire and the 250? And the plagues after probation closes?

T: MM, you should know what force and violence are. If you set someone on fire, that's violence. If you threaten to set someone on fire unless they do something you want them to do, that's force.

You didn't answer the question - Who caused it to happen and why?

Quote:
M: Please cite examples of divine punishment in the Bible that did not involve force and violence.

T: I think you're asking the wrong question. What I've asserted is that God does not use force or violence to achieve His ends, whether to punish or overcome rebellion or forgive sinners or anything else.

As explained in "The Destruction of Jerusalem," in "The Great Controversy," God withdraws when rejected beyond a certain point. Force and violence may result as a result of this withdrawal, as evil beings use force and violence. However, *God* does not use force or violence.

You didn't provide an example of God punishing sinners without using force or violence. Yes, you said evil beings resort to force and violence when God withdraws His protection, but my question doesn't concern such examples. BTW, do you know of examples of God withdrawing His protection and evil beings using force and violence?

Quote:
M: Please answer the questions in relation to PP 404.

T: God withdraws His protection, which entails bad things happening as a result of either nature, evil beings, or one's health. I explained the principles involved in a lot of detail earlier in the this thread. The exact application doesn't matter. It's the general principles involved that are important.

You didn't honor my request.

Quote:
T: The bottom line of our disagreement has to do with our paradigms, and with how we perceive God to be. You perceive that God is capable of using force and acting violently. You label this as something else, so I'm not talking about that, about the label. I'm talking about God's actual actions, of setting people on fire, or inflicting them with boils, or whatever. You see that God is capable of doing these things (i.e., His character allows it) and that He will resort to these methods if necessary to get His way. I disagree. I don't believe He acts any differently than how Jesus acted while here with us in the flesh, nor that He uses any methods different than those which Jesus used.

My paradigm allows me to take God at His word. When the Bible says God did something, I take it to mean 1) He either caused it to happen, or 2) He commanded holy angels to do it, or 3) He permitted evil angels to do it. Your paradigm seems to disallow the first two possibilities.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115268
06/30/09 09:03 PM
06/30/09 09:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
This is addressed to everyone reading this thread:

Isn't it clear in Rev 15 & 16 that it is God who will command holy angels to pour out the seven last plagues?

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115270
06/30/09 09:48 PM
06/30/09 09:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: The earth opening up and swallowing the rebellious depicts force and violence? If so, who caused it to happen and why? What about the fire and the 250? And the plagues after probation closes?

T: MM, you should know what force and violence are. If you set someone on fire, that's violence. If you threaten to set someone on fire unless they do something you want them to do, that's force.

M:You didn't answer the question - Who caused it to happen and why?

Those who refused God's protection caused it to happen by forcing God to withdraw His protection.

Quote:
M: Please cite examples of divine punishment in the Bible that did not involve force and violence.

T: I think you're asking the wrong question. What I've asserted is that God does not use force or violence to achieve His ends, whether to punish or overcome rebellion or forgive sinners or anything else.

As explained in "The Destruction of Jerusalem," in "The Great Controversy," God withdraws when rejected beyond a certain point. Force and violence may result as a result of this withdrawal, as evil beings use force and violence. However, *God* does not use force or violence.

M:You didn't provide an example of God punishing sinners without using force or violence.

I pointed out I didn't think you were asking the right question, and explained why.

Quote:
Yes, you said evil beings resort to force and violence when God withdraws His protection, but my question doesn't concern such examples. BTW, do you know of examples of God withdrawing His protection and evil beings using force and violence?

Yes, there are many. The destruction of Jerusalem is one. The crucifixion of Christ is another. Job is another.

Quote:
M: Please answer the questions in relation to PP 404.

T: God withdraws His protection, which entails bad things happening as a result of either nature, evil beings, or one's health. I explained the principles involved in a lot of detail earlier in the this thread. The exact application doesn't matter. It's the general principles involved that are important.

M:You didn't honor my request.

In the past we've gone over these things in great detail, and I can't see that it's resulted in anything positive. It seems to me the reason why is that this approach is scratching where it doesn't itch. I think Teresa's explanation regarding Calvinism was excellent.

That is, if you look at Romans 9, it talks about how God unilaterally selected Jacob but rejected Esau. To a Calvinist, this is irrefutable evidence that God is alone responsible for who is saved and who is lost. Someone from our perspective looks for an alternative way of understanding this text. What drives how the text is interpreted, and similar texts, is our paradigm. We cannot divorce how we interpret Scripture from our paradigm.

So whether the destruction of the people you mentioned because God withdrew His protection in the realm of nature or the realm of evil beings is immaterial. That He didn't directly do it I derive Jesus Christ's revelation of God, as well as from the principles laid out by the SOP in regards to His character.

Quote:
My paradigm allows me to take God at His word.

I think this statement betray a lack of acuity. Anyone with any paradigm can make this claim, and many people sincerely believe they are doing so, even when they have views such as that God will torment (or, perhaps more accurately, torture) people for all eternity.

Quote:
When the Bible says God did something, I take it to mean 1) He either caused it to happen, or 2) He commanded holy angels to do it, or 3) He permitted evil angels to do it. Your paradigm seems to disallow the first two possibilities.

Not at all. For example, the Bible says God created the universe. I believe God did this.

There are many things that Bible says God did or commanded holy angels to do which I believe were done.

In regards to 3), I don't think this is comprehensive enough. Post #115246 brings out some other salient possibilities.

I don't think God directly does or did anything contrary to what Jesus Christ revealed of God in His life and teachings while here with us in the flesh. I think His was a full and complete revelation of God. Setting people on fire, for example, I perceive to be contrary to Christ's teachings.

Quote:
Isn't it clear in Rev 15 & 16 that it is God who will command holy angels to pour out the seven last plagues?

It's as clear as Scripture is that God destroyed Jerusalem, or that He killed Saul, or that He sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites, or that He sent evil spirits to lie to Ahab, or that He will send strong delusion, or that He moved David to number Israel.

Page 15 of 91 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!