HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 42 of 49 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #115638
07/07/09 04:52 PM
07/07/09 04:52 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Again, however, all such desires and appeal in Christ would be viewed as repulsive and disgusting.

Mike,

She says, "to take away their inclination to sin, that they might not desire to transgress."
Either you have the desire or you don't. It can't be both.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #115661
07/08/09 03:31 AM
07/08/09 03:31 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Of course weighed and found wanting is our inscription by nature. How could it be otherwise? We have sinful natures, and that's it, until we are converted. But this isn't true of Christ, is it? I don't understand why you're bringing this up.

What is it you think the issue is? I don't think this has been clarified.

There are some people who say that Christ's human nature was sinful like ours. If that was the case, He would also have been weighed and found wanting by nature.

So you agree with me that such was not the case for Christ?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #115662
07/08/09 03:52 AM
07/08/09 03:52 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
It appears to me there may be some confusion in relation to "inclination to sin." The word "inclination" can be used differently, either in connection with the mind or not.

That which involves the mind is simply saying what has been suggested, which is to have no desire to sin in one's mind. This is the mind of Christ.

If one has the mind of Christ, that means he has no desire to sin in his mind. We agreed so far, I'm pretty sure.

If one's mind has no desire to sin, or as MM put it, sin is totally unappealing, what other part of him can have a desire to sin?

As I mentioned previously, the desire to sin is in the mind. It's not in the armpits, legs, hair, toenails, etc. If it's not in the mind, it's not there.

Did Jesus have a desire to sin?
Does a sanctified Christian have a desire to sin?
Is the answer to these two questions the same?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #115663
07/08/09 03:54 AM
07/08/09 03:54 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
1.Have you read what Jones, Waggoner and/or Prescott have written on this subject?

Some, not all.

2.Do you agree with what they have written?

Most, not all.

3.If not, what is it you disagree with?

Can't find the quotes right now. But I disagree mostly with Jones' vehemence.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #115664
07/08/09 04:01 AM
07/08/09 04:01 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Amen! Do you apply this to fallen flesh nature too? That is, do you think Jesus takes away the inclination and desire for sinful expression from fallen flesh nature? If so, does it mean sinful flesh nature ceases to tempt from within to be unlike Jesus?

That doesn't make sense to me. If it's not appealing, it's not appealing to all of me. It's not like there's some sin that my mind finds repulsive, but my hand really wants to do it. My hand doesn't have a mind of its own. That concept is similar to my father's idea that he really hates sin, but he often chooses to disobey because his flesh is weak and sinful. It's just a lame attempt to excuse the sinful desires of the carnal heart.

Now, I suppose there are certain chemical imbalances in the body that could result in unholy desires. But that happens in the brain.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: asygo] #115666
07/08/09 04:37 AM
07/08/09 04:37 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
There are some people who say that Christ's human nature was sinful like ours.

This comes to mind:

Quote:
He took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted. (MM 181)

This sinful nature which Christ took upon Himself is our human nature, isn't it?

Quote:
If that was the case, He would also have been weighed and found wanting by nature.

No, *He* wouldn't have been. His assumed sinful nature, which is "our sinful nature," would be. His own nature was sinless. He would have only been found wanting had He sinned.

Quote:
So you agree with me that such was not the case for Christ?

What I believe is the case is that Christ took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature. I think referring to this as "sinful flesh," which was the most common way that Jones, Waggoner, and Prescott put it, is clearer than using the word "nature," as the word "nature" has many different meanings, depending upon the context. I see you use this word (i.e. "nature") in different ways, and I think this may be a significant part of the difficulty in keeping things straight. It's not clear what's being talked about. I think Jones, Waggoner and Prescott were all very clear about this.

As Prescott put it, Christ had sinful flesh, exactly like ours. He was tempted in sinful flesh, exactly like we are, but unlike us, He never said "yes" to these temptations.

Quote:
If one's mind has no desire to sin, or as MM put it, sin is totally unappealing, what other part of him can have a desire to sin?

Romans talks about this.

Quote:
22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind ... (Romans 7:22,23)

as does Galatians:

Quote:
For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another (Gal. 5:17)

This is a fight which goes on for every person who would follow the Lord, a fight between the flesh and the Spirit. Christ fought this fight, and overcame by faith. He invites us to share in His victory, to overcome as He overcame.

Quote:
Did Jesus have a desire to sin?
Does a sanctified Christian have a desire to sin?
Is the answer to these two questions the same?

I believe the quotes from Paul above cover this. Again, Christ's mind was the mind of Christ, but His flesh was our flesh, which is sinful flesh. He had our sinful flesh, with the temptations which such flesh generates, but always said "No!" to those temptations.

Quote:
T:3.If not, what is it you disagree with?

A:Can't find the quotes right now.

I'd like to know what you disagree with. And what you agree with too would be good. I'm speaking specifically to the subject of the humanity of Christ here. Here's a good specific place to consider: http://wordoftruth.seedoftruth.net/books/1/5

Thank you.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Rosangela] #115678
07/08/09 04:37 PM
07/08/09 04:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
M: Again, however, all such desires and appeal in Christ would be viewed as repulsive and disgusting.

R: Mike,

She says, "to take away their inclination to sin, that they might not desire to transgress." Either you have the desire or you don't. It can't be both.

Are you suggesting she intended for us to take her to mean Jesus will completely eliminate the inclination and desire to sin so that we are no longer tempted from within to be unlike Jesus, that the unholy "lusts and affections" of our fallen flesh nature are eliminated, that our flesh nature will no longer clamor for sinful expression, that our flesh nature will encourage us to express our innocent and legitimate needs in sinless ways?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: asygo] #115679
07/08/09 04:49 PM
07/08/09 04:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
M: Do you apply this to fallen flesh nature too? That is, do you think Jesus takes away the inclination and desire for sinful expression from fallen flesh nature? If so, does it mean sinful flesh nature ceases to tempt from within to be unlike Jesus?

A: That doesn't make sense to me. If it's not appealing, it's not appealing to all of me. It's not like there's some sin that my mind finds repulsive, but my hand really wants to do it. My hand doesn't have a mind of its own. That concept is similar to my father's idea that he really hates sin, but he often chooses to disobey because his flesh is weak and sinful. It's just a lame attempt to excuse the sinful desires of the carnal heart.

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying there is no communication between the "mind" of fallen flesh nature and the mind of the new man? That is, are you saying sinful flesh nature cannot tempt believers from within with unholy thoughts and feelings? If so, does that mean believers cannot be tempted from within with unholy thoughts and feelings, that all temptations originate externally through evil agencies and do not appear/arrive as unholy thouhts and feelings? If so, to what do believers attribute the presence of unholy thougths and feelings? Must they assume they are automatically guilty of sinning the instant an unholy thought and feeling pops into mind?

Quote:
A: Now, I suppose there are certain chemical imbalances in the body that could result in unholy desires. But that happens in the brain.

If this happens in the cases of believers are they automatically guilty of sinning? Or, are they guiltless and victorious if they immediately resist such desires unto the honor and glory of God?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #115727
07/09/09 10:25 PM
07/09/09 10:25 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
A: If that was the case, He would also have been weighed and found wanting by nature.
T: No, *He* wouldn't have been. His assumed sinful nature, which is "our sinful nature," would be.

If His human nature was found wanting by nature, it was condemned to death by nature (in fact, you say it was condemned by the law from birth).
Christ could only die for us because He didn't have to die for Himself. But how could this be possible if His human nature was condemned to death (in view of the fact that it was His human nature that died when He died for us)?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #115728
07/09/09 10:29 PM
07/09/09 10:29 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Either you have the desire or you don't. It can't be both.
M: Are you suggesting she intended for us to take her to mean Jesus will completely eliminate the inclination and desire to sin so that we are no longer tempted from within to be unlike Jesus, that the unholy "lusts and affections" of our fallen flesh nature are eliminated, that our flesh nature will no longer clamor for sinful expression, that our flesh nature will encourage us to express our innocent and legitimate needs in sinless ways?

Mike, I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just asking how it can be possible not to have a desire if you have it.

Reply Quote
Page 42 of 49 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!