HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments #116294
07/18/09 08:56 PM
07/18/09 08:56 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here is the link to the study and discussion material for Lesson #4 of the Third Quarter of 2009:

http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/09c/less04nkjv.html

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Daryl] #116295
07/18/09 09:03 PM
07/18/09 09:03 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
As I am supposed to facilitate one of our four different Campmeeting Adult Sabbath School Classes, I am looking for lots of discussion this week in preparation for this upcoming class discussion. smile

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Daryl] #116305
07/19/09 03:10 AM
07/19/09 03:10 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Does keeping His commandments include breaking them? Are we walking in the light, as Jesus walked in the light, while we are in the throes of breaking His commandments? I don't think so. Commandment keeping and commandment breaking are opposites. We cannot do both at the same time. We are either all of His and free of sin, or we are none of His and full of sin. There is no middle ground, no neutral place.

“If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.” (Romans 8:9) “No man can serve two masters.” (Matthew 6:24) “None of us can occupy a neutral position; our influence will tell for or against. We are active agents for Christ or for the enemy. We either gather with Jesus or scatter abroad.” (4T 16) “Almost but not wholly saved, means to be not almost but wholly lost.” (COL 118)

"We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light.

"If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin.

"We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end." (DA 324)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Mountain Man] #116306
07/19/09 03:47 AM
07/19/09 03:47 AM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
Either its possible to perfectly keep the law or its not. I think we should try to keep the "law" all the while realizing that our fallen human natures will not allow us to. I find is strange that people like you believe that its possible yet can't do it yourself. Start being perfect including your thoughts and let me know how that works for you and then I might believe its possible. Until then I go with Paul who expresses his struggles even after conversion. Even if it was possible I think you would be spending so much time looking at your self and your actions you would loose sight of whats important which is grace.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Aaron] #116310
07/19/09 04:52 AM
07/19/09 04:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Either its possible to perfectly keep the law or its not.

I'm understanding you to say that it's not. Is that correct?

Quote:
The law which Christ gave from the mount, and which he exemplified in his sinless life, is far-reaching in its character. It condemns every evil action, and demands perfect obedience. Those who truly follow Christ will keep God's commandments as he kept them. If they sincerely accept him as their personal Saviour, they will be actuated by an earnest desire to fulfil their duty to God, and to represent him in character. And if the law were perfectly obeyed, the earth would not now be corrupted under the inhabitants thereof. Oppression and injustice would not exist. Love, harmony, and joy would be seen. The power of Christianity would be revealed in the churches, and the world would have no cause to charge the followers of Christ with inconsistency. The converting power of the Holy Spirit would be felt, and thousands would be added to the church of such as should be saved. (ST 3/4/97)

Doesn't this statement speak of perfect obedience of the law?

As an aside, this is quite a nice statement, I think. It brings out the purpose of the law in a positive way, making clear that things like injustice wouldn't exist without the law. If we say the law cannot be kept, that seems tantamount to saying that we must be unjust. Can that be right?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Aaron] #116311
07/19/09 05:23 AM
07/19/09 05:23 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Aaron
Either its possible to perfectly keep the law or its not. I think we should try to keep the "law" all the while realizing that our fallen human natures will not allow us to. I find is strange that people like you believe that its possible yet can't do it yourself. Start being perfect including your thoughts and let me know how that works for you and then I might believe its possible. Until then I go with Paul who expresses his struggles even after conversion. Even if it was possible I think you would be spending so much time looking at your self and your actions you would loose sight of whats important which is grace.

As this is the crux of the error promoted in the NIV, I will do my very best, I promise, to post on this issue in the Bible versions thread before the end of this week. (This discussion is motivating me.) The modern Bibles have promoted the concept that man is powerless to cease sinning. The KJV, however, does not.

If Christ lived a perfect life as our example, why should we not benefit thereby? Why should we say He was NOT our example? Courage, my brother, take courage! The Canaan land is ours for the taking, with God on our side.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Aaron] #116330
07/19/09 03:40 PM
07/19/09 03:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Either its possible to perfectly keep the law or its not.

True.

I think we should try to keep the "law" all the while realizing that our fallen human natures will not allow us to.

Who is responsible for those times in between sinning when we do actually manage to obey the law like Jesus did? Us or God? Also, where in the Bible or the SOP does it say "sinful flesh" prevents us from living in harmony with the law abiding example of Jesus? Is this a part time thing? That is, are there times when "sinful flesh" permits us to imitate Jesus by obeying the law? If so, is "sinful flesh" responsible for empowering us to be like Jesus? If not, who or what, then, empowers us to be obedient (when we're not sinning)?

I find is strange that people like you believe that its possible yet can't do it yourself.

Are you addressing me or everyone like me who believes being like Jesus is a reality while abiding in Him? "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." (1 John 3:6) Please note what the promise does not include, namely, it does not promise those who are abiding in Jesus will lose the ability or freedom to sin. This promise, according to some people, describes what it is like while abiding in Jesus. It does not, however, imply they will never neglect to abide in Jesus and revert back to sinning. It simply says what it will be like while they are abiding in Jesus, namely, they are not sinning.

Start being perfect including your thoughts and let me know how that works for you and then I might believe its possible.

Are you sure you're the best judge of whether or not such a testimony is valid?

Until then I go with Paul who expresses his struggles even after conversion.

I assume you're referring to Romans 7:13-25. As you know, not everyone believes Paul was referring to sinning. There are those who believe he was referring to the clamorings of sinful flesh rather than to actually sinning. Which, by the way, is the only thing "sinful flesh" can "do" (Rom 7), that is, the only thing it can "do" is tempt us to indulge our innocent and legitimate needs in sinful ways. Do you view such temptations as sin? Do you think people thus tempted are guilty of sinning? When is it ever a sin to be tempted?

Even if it was possible I think you would be spending so much time looking at your self and your actions you would loose sight of whats important which is grace.

Did Jesus have this problem as He lived sinlessly? In other words, was Jesus guilty of navel-gazing as evidenced by the fact He never sinned? Or, is it possible to live in harmony with Jesus' sinless example and not be guilty of abandoning grace?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Mountain Man] #116332
07/19/09 03:44 PM
07/19/09 03:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
As an aside, this is quite a nice statement, I think. It brings out the purpose of the law in a positive way, making clear that things like injustice wouldn't exist without the law. If we say the law cannot be kept, that seems tantamount to saying that we must be unjust. Can that be right?

I agree, Tom. That is, it is a nice quote. And, it is impossible to obey the law and also be unjust. The example of Jesus is proof of it.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Mountain Man] #116339
07/19/09 04:20 PM
07/19/09 04:20 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I assume you're referring to Romans 7:13-25. As you know, not everyone believes Paul was referring to sinning. There are those who believe he was referring to the clamorings of sinful flesh rather than to actually sinning. Which, by the way, is the only thing "sinful flesh" can "do" (Rom 7), that is, the only thing it can "do" is tempt us to indulge our innocent and legitimate needs in sinful ways.

I've heard that Paul referred to a problem with his eyesight. Whether or not he had lingering damage to his eyes from his encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus I know not. But in his later years, he appears to have struggled with his eyesight, perhaps from cataracts.

He refers to his large handwriting when writing to the Galatians:

"Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand." (Galatians 6:11, KJV)

"See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hand!" (Galatians 6:11, NIV)

(I do not know which translation here is more accurate, but Galatians is not one of Paul's larger letters.)

Originally Posted By: Apostle Paul
Ye know how through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first. (Galatians 4:13, KJV)

And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. (Galatians 4:14, KJV)

Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? for I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me. (Galatians 4:15, KJV)

In that passage to the Galatians, Paul seems clear that his eyes were the source of his "temptation." Paul acknowledges that some of the Galatians would have been willing to give him their own eyes were such possible.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 - Walking in the Light— Keeping His Commandments [Re: Green Cochoa] #116342
07/19/09 04:45 PM
07/19/09 04:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, are you implying Paul's physical problem had something to do with what he wrote in Romans 7:13-25? If so, how and why?

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!