HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117497
08/11/09 03:32 PM
08/11/09 03:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: So far you have said the OC was bad because it involved the COI promising to obey and observe everything God required of them without fully understanding their need and dependence on Him to keep their promise. I agree. I’ve been saying the same thing all along. Are you aware of the fact that I’m in agreement with you on this one point?

T: IMO, you're not really in agreement with me. You wrote, "In essence, the OC is the NC amplified." I completely disagree with this, for the reasons I explained. The fact that you could write such a think demonstrates that you don't agree with what I'm saying.

M: Are you aware of the fact that I’m in agreement with you on this ONE point?

T: What I've been saying is more along the lines that the OC *consists* of these things, not "involves" them.

Are you saying the OC was bad because it consisted of the COI promising to obey and observe everything God required of them without fully understanding their need and dependence on Him to keep their promise? If so, then we’re in agreement on this *one* point.

Also, do you think the OC consists of things that are an amplification of the NC? For example, do you think the OC ceremonial system is an amplification of the NC ceremonial system? If not, why not?

Quote:
T: MM, God gave these things to the COI. How could they have been against them? When you speak of the rites and rituals, are you speaking of the Ceremonial law? Sin is bondage. That's what "was against us, which was contrary to us." It's a major relief not to have to sin.

M: “Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.” Ellen White interpreted this passage in the following way:

T: We've got a whole thread discussing Col 2:14. You can bump that if you want to discuss this verse.

That thread isn’t discussing the issue I’m raising here. The SOP passages you omitted here agree with the point I am making, namely, one of the reasons the OC was bad is due to the fact it required the COI to obey and observe ceremonial laws and rituals “that was against us, which was contrary to us”. This point is very much applicable to this thread.

Quote:
M: Again, none of the laws given to the COI at Sinai would have been necessary had they lived in harmony with the NC.

T: This is correct.

M: The only reason Jesus gave them the “ritual laws” was because they needed something that would remind them to love and obey God.

T: Right.

M: But it was a huge burden, a huge inconvenience to maintain the OC version of the ceremonial system. The NC version was so much more streamline and convenient.

T: So you think God gave them a "huge burden"? I disagree. I think you also think God gave them something which led them into bondage, and I also disagree with that. Writing "the NC version," is viewing the covenants as similar things, rather than fundamentally different. This is a large part of our disagreement, I think. Basically the OC was a bad thing, being founded on unbelief, whereas the NC is a good thing, founded on the promises of God. Also I don't think you've latched onto the following principle:

Having to obey and observe all those ceremonial laws and rituals was a kind of bondage. I’m not using the word “bondage” in the same sense you seem to think I am, that is, in some kind of sinful sense.

You seem to be implying that the OC version of the ceremonial system, the enhanced and greatly expanded version, was a “bad thing”. Do you think God designed it based on unbelief? If not, what did unbelief have to do with it?

Do you see any similarities between the ceremonial systems under the new and old covenants? Or, do you think they are fundamentally different? If so, please explain why and how.

“We see then that the two covenants are not matters of time, but of condition.” Yes, there is an aspect of the OC that is representative of an attitude. You seem to have forgotten that I agree on this *one* point. I also believe, however, time was another aspect of the OC. “As the Bible presents two laws, one changeless and eternal, the other provisional and temporary, so there are two covenants.” {PP 370.2} There were time dated elements of the OC, namely, the ceremonial laws and rituals that ended with the death of Jesus.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117501
08/11/09 04:59 PM
08/11/09 04:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God. I believe He did it in two ways – 1) Through His actions, and 2) Through His teachings.

Are you saying you disagree with this?

T: What I said was that according to the SOP, Jesus lived what He taught. Therefore Christ's life was sufficient to reveal God. If you intend to say Jesus Christ revealed God in "two different ways" so that it wouldn't be true that what Christ taught, He lived, then I disagree.

If you’re saying you believe Jesus lived out in actions while here in the flesh everything He lived out in actions in OT, then, yes, we disagree. In the OT Jesus employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction to happen in consequence of sinners filling up their cup of woe and wrath. He also commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death. Jesus never once acted out these things while here in the flesh. Yes, He taught them, but He never acted them out.

Quote:
M: I would prefer it if you would plainly state your position. I have absolutely no idea what you believe. Why do you think Jesus ordered Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death?

T: I'm sure if you have "absolutely no idea" what I believe, after all I've written, and quoted from others, my saying one more thing wouldn't help.

How about saying one more thing that actually states your position plainly. Your unwillingness to state your position plainly suggests you are embarrassed or ashamed of it. You are constantly reminding us of how important it is that we understand the truth about God, that we discern the lies of Satan about God. And yet on this very important point you are elusive and noncommittal. Why? Does it matter if we understand why Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to kill sinners? Does our salvation depend on us getting it right? Or, can we go on thinking with impunity Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to kill sinners because it’s what law and justice requires?

Quote:
M: There is nothing forceful or violent about it.

T: You believe that God escalated the damage of the plagues until it got to the point to where He commissioned holy angels to kill. To claim these is nothing "forceful" or "violent" about your view is to do violence to the words "forceful" and "violent."

Why do you think the plagues consisted of force and violence? And, who or what do you think was responsible for it playing out the way did?

Quote:
M: Jesus employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction is a valid use of the English language.

T: It's an inferior use to the SOP's, and doesn't represent my view accurately. If you wish to use it to represent *your* view, that's fine.

M: He has employed 5 different methods of causing, commanding, or permitting death and destruction.

T: Which is force and violence.

3 out of the 5 methods are based on your views. Here are the 5 methods Jesus employs to cause, command, or permit death and destruction to happen:

1. Jesus causes it
2. Jesus commands holy angels to do it
3. Jesus permits the forces of nature to do it
4. Jesus permits evil angels to do it
5. Jesus permits evil men to do it

Are you suggesting 3, 4, and 5 consist of force and violence? If so, why do you think Jesus would permit them to employ force and violence?

Quote:
M: Yes, circumstances force Him to employ one or the other method. He would prefer it if people would simply love and obey Him.

This view of God has nothing to do with Jesus Christ's life. Never did He teach, "If you don't do what I say, I'll destroy you. There are 5 ways I use to do this. I'd prefer you loved and obey Me, but if you don't, I'll use one of these 5 methods to destroy you." MM, don't you see the lack of logic to "Love me, or I'll destroy you?" I mean, that this can't work? [/quote]
The promise of punishment and death is not the same thing as saying, “Love me or I’ll destroy.” Jesus said, “In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” “Christ, in counsel with His Father, instituted the system of sacrificial offerings; that death, instead of being immediately visited upon the transgressor, should be transferred to a victim which should prefigure the great and perfect offering of the Son of God.” {1SM 230.1}

Jesus is in essence saying, “If you rely on Me to empower you to love and obey me, if you imitate My godly example, you will experience peace and happiness. However, if you despise Me and reject the salvation I wrought out for you at great cost to Myself, then I will satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice and resurrect you, judge you, punish you, and then allow you to die eternally in the lake of fire. So please, please do the right thing and let Me empower you to love and obey Me. I really don’t want you to suffer and die in the lake of fire.”

Quote:
M: True, it was on account of their filling up their cup of woe and wrath that Jesus was forced to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to happen.

T: Right! Why not just say this?

I’ve been saying this all along.

M: You’re not understanding my point. The point is – God must do something to cause or permit death and destruction. Sinners did not withdraw their protection and permit the forces of nature to cause death and destruction.

T: Of course sinners are not in control of the forces of nature, so they could hardly permit or cause this to happen. Why make this point? [/quote]
You keep insisting Jesus doesn’t do anything, that sinners cause it to happen.

Quote:
M: Another point to consider. The forces of nature are subject to God. They can do nothing without Him, not even cause death and destruction. If God let go, the laws of nature would simply stand still and do nothing. In order for them to cause death and destruction, God must employ them accordingly.

T: If God let go, nature wouldn't "simply stand still and do nothing." Nature needs the active hand of God to exist. Were God to "let go," nature would cease to exist. You say that for nature to cause death and destruction, God must employ it accordingly. Is this what you really meant to say? Let me just ask, do you think every time someone dies as the result of a natural disaster, this is because God employed nature to do such?

Nature would not cease to exist. Water and matter wouldn’t vanish if Jesus stopped managing the forces of nature. Jesus is actively involved in causing the forces of nature to act and behave the way they do. For example, rain rises and falls as Jesus sees fit. Warm and cold fronts trade places as Jesus sees fit. Heat and air combine and cause wind as Jesus sees fit. Etc, etc, etc. Nothing is left to chance or natural law. In the same way, Jesus manages the forces of nature to cause death and destruction. True, there are times when He permits evil angels to manage the forces of nature to cause death and destruction. But whether Jesus causes it to happen or permits evil angels to cause it to happen, the result is the same, namely, sinners suffer and die according to the limits established by God Himself.

Quote:
T: Before you said that God works to prevent sin from having destructive consequences upon those who practice it, consequences deriving from the conscience being violated. The SOP tells us if we had to bear the enormity of our guilt, it would crush us. Christ bears our guilt, and when He ceases to do so for those who have rejected Him, it crushes them. I have no idea why you think God would have to add some arbitrary punishment on top of the death and destruction which you yourself said that sin causes.

M: Sinners eventually harden their hearts beyond the point of being able to feel shame and guilt.

T: From the SOP: There's no indication here of what you're claiming.

“A few persons pass on in a course of wrong until they become hardened. . . Yet their consciences do not condemn them.” {3T 270.2} “Those who desired a sign from Jesus had so hardened their hearts in unbelief that they did not discern in His character the likeness of God. {DA 407.2}

“It is by sinful indulgence that men give Satan access to their minds, and they go from one stage of wickedness to another. The rejection of light darkens the mind and hardens the heart, so that it is easier for them to take the next step in sin and to reject still clearer light, until at last their habits of wrongdoing become fixed. Sin ceases to appear sinful to them. {CC 108.5}

“The deadly lethargy of the world is paralyzing your senses. Sin no longer appears repulsive because you are blinded by Satan. The judgments of God are soon to be poured out upon the earth. "Escape for thy life" is the warning from the angels of God. {5T 233.3}

“The day of God's vengeance cometh--the day of the fierceness of His wrath. Who will abide the day of His coming? Men have hardened their hearts against the Spirit of God, but the arrows of His wrath will pierce where the arrows of conviction could not. God will not far hence arise to deal with the sinner. {FW 33.3}

Quote:
M: What is so kind about exposing them to His unveiled brightness and glory?

T: This is your idea, not mine.

No, it’s God’s idea. Here’s what He thinks about it:

Quote:
But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

The glory of His countenance, which to the righteous is life, will be to the wicked a consuming fire. Because of love rejected, grace despised, the sinner will be destroyed. {DA 600.2} Those who spit upon Him in the hour of His trial now turn from His piercing gaze and from the glory of His countenance. {EW 292.1}

Paul met them on their own ground. "If the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious," he said, "so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: how shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory" (2 Cor. 3:7-9). {1SM 236.2}

Those who trample upon God's authority, and show open contempt to the law given in such grandeur at Sinai, virtually despise the Lawgiver, the great Jehovah. The children of Israel, who transgressed the first and second commandments, were charged not to be seen anywhere near the mount, where God was to descend in glory to write the law a second time upon tables of stone, lest they should be consumed with the burning glory of his presence. And if they could not even look upon the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance, because he had been communing with God, how much less can the transgressors of God's law look upon the Son of God when he shall appear in the clouds of heaven in the glory of his Father, surrounded by all the angelic host, to execute judgment upon all who have disregarded the commandments of God, and have trodden under foot his blood! {3SG 294.2}

These passages are in total agreement with the view I presented above (especially the last one).

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117502
08/11/09 05:02 PM
08/11/09 05:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following passages make it clear that the COI, under the OC and its laws, were to woo and win the world to God, to motivate and encourage them to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded at Sinai:

It is the voice of Christ that speaks to us through the Old Testament. "The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." Revelation 19:10. {PP 366.3}

So in Moses also God placed a light beside the throne of the earth's greatest kingdom, that all who would, might learn of the true and living God. And all this light was given to the Egyptians before the hand of God was stretched out over them in judgments. {PP 368.3}

God called Israel, and blessed and exalted them, not that by obedience to His law they alone might receive His favor and become the exclusive recipients of His blessings, but in order to reveal Himself through them to all the inhabitants of the earth. It was for the accomplishment of this very purpose that He commanded them to keep themselves distinct from the idolatrous nations around them. {PP 369.2}

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117516
08/11/09 06:43 PM
08/11/09 06:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: Sure, it's possible that there are some underlying principles that would apply. That's a far cry from saying that the law applies to us, however. For example, we're not to divorce our wives for any reason we choose, as in the law of Moses.

1. What did you mean when you wrote God wasn't in favor of divorce, slavery, and polygamy when He gave Moses laws governing the practice of them? Did God view such practices as sinful?

I asked you the question (which I don't think you answered)

Quote:
Tom:God's not in favor of divorce, slavery or polygamy, is He?

Regarding what I meant, to be in favor of something means the thing is something you approve of, or desire.

Quote:
2. "Sure, it's possible that there are some underlying principles that would apply." Can you elaborate on this point? What are some of the underlining principles regarding divorce, slavery, and polygamy that apply today?

Here's a principle. The law regarding divorce was to protect women, so this law shows that God was concerned about protecting those in need. That principle still applies.

Quote:
3. "That's a far cry from saying that the law applies to us, however." Do you know of anyone that believes this way?

So you're now saying that the law of Moses does *not* apply to us?

Quote:
4. "For example, we're not to divorce our wives for any reason we choose, as in the law of Moses." Where in the law of Moses did God give the COI permission to get divorced for any reason?

From the SOP:

Quote:
Among the Jews a man was permitted to put away his wife for the most trivial offenses, and the woman was then at liberty to marry again. This practice led to great wretchedness and sin. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus declared plainly that there could be no dissolution of the marriage tie, except for unfaithfulness to the marriage vow...When the Pharisees afterward questioned Him concerning the lawfulness of divorce, Jesus pointed His hearers back to the marriage institution as ordained at creation. "Because of the hardness of your hearts," He said, Moses "suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so." Matthew 19:8.(MB 63)

Regarding where in Moses it says this, you can look it up as easily as I.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117517
08/11/09 07:18 PM
08/11/09 07:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Are you saying the OC was bad because it consisted of the COI promising to obey and observe everything God required of them without fully understanding their need and dependence on Him to keep their promise? If so, then we’re in agreement on this *one* point.

1.This isn't what you've been saying the OC consisted of.
2.It's not simply that the COI promised to obey everything God required of them without understanding something, but they thought God was requiring things of them rather than promising them the things they needed.

Quote:
Also, do you think the OC consists of things that are an amplification of the NC? For example, do you think the OC ceremonial system is an amplification of the NC ceremonial system? If not, why not?

Regarding the Old Covenant:

Quote:
Consider the situation: The people were in the bondage of sin; they had no power to break their chains; but the speaking of the law made no change in their condition; it introduced no new feature. If a man is in prison for crime, you can not release him by reading the statutes to him. It was the law that put him there, and the reading of it to him only makes his captivity more painful.

"Then did not God Himself lead them into bondage?"--Not by any means; since He did not induce them to make that covenant at Sinai. Four hundred and thirty years before that time He had made a covenant with Abraham, which was sufficient for all purposes. That covenant was confirmed in Christ, and, therefore, was a covenant from above. See John 8:23.

It promised righteousness as a free gift of God through faith, and it included all nations. All the miracles that God had wrought in delivering the children of Israel from Egyptian bondage were but demonstrations of His power to deliver them and us from the bondage of sin.

Yes, the deliverance from Egypt was itself a demonstration not only of God's power, but also of His desire to lead them from the bondage of sin, that bondage in which the covenant from Sinai holds men, because Hagar, who is the covenant from Sinai, was an Egyptian.

So when the people came to Sinai, God simply referred them to what He had already done, and then said, "Now therefore, if ye will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine." Ex.19:5. To what covenant did He refer?--Evidently to the one already in existence, His covenant with Abraham.

If they would simply keep God's covenant, that is, God's promise,--keep the faith,--they would be a peculiar treasure unto God, for God, as the possessor of all the earth, was able to do with them all that He had promised. The fact that they in their self-sufficiency rashly took the whole responsibility upon themselves, does not prove that God led them into making that covenant, but the contrary. He was leading them out of bondage, not into it, and the apostle plainly tells us that covenant from Sinai was nothing but bondage. (The Glad Tidings)

I don't know how to explain it better than this.

Quote:
T: We've got a whole thread discussing Col 2:14. You can bump that if you want to discuss this verse.

M:That thread isn’t discussing the issue I’m raising here.[/qutoe]

Yes it was. It was discussing how Col. 2:14 should be interpreted. Your point depends upon the interpretation of Col. 2:14.

[quote]The SOP passages you omitted here agree with the point I am making, namely, one of the reasons the OC was bad is due to the fact it required the COI to obey and observe ceremonial laws and rituals “that was against us, which was contrary to us”. This point is very much applicable to this thread.

I disagree with the idea that God gave the COI things which were against them, or contrary to them, or led them into bondage.

Quote:
Having to obey and observe all those ceremonial laws and rituals was a kind of bondage.

No it wasn't. Sin is bondage. The ceremonial law was given to point to Christ, who gives us freedom.

Quote:
Peter said, “Why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?” Now the fathers had the ceremonial law, and did bear it; they practiced it, and throve under it, as David said: “Those that be planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing.” Psalm 92:13, 14.

Anyone who reads the Psalms will see that David did not regard the ceremonial law as a burdensome yoke, nor think it grievous bondage to carry out its ordinances. It was a delight to him to offer the sacrifices of thanksgiving, because by it he showed faith in Christ. Faith in Christ was the soul and life of his service. (The Gospel in Galatians)

This is found here: http://dedication.www3.50megs.com/1888/waggonerbutler_twolaws3.html

I'd suggest reading through this pamphlet. It's covering much of the ground we're discussing.

Quote:
I’m not using the word “bondage” in the same sense you seem to think I am, that is, in some kind of sinful sense.

You seem to be implying that the OC version of the ceremonial system, the enhanced and greatly expanded version, was a “bad thing”. Do you think God designed it based on unbelief? If not, what did unbelief have to do with it?

We seem to be talking of different things. I have been referring to the Old Covenant, as Paul spoke of it, for example:

Quote:
22For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. (Gal. 4:22-24)

You seem to be confusing the teaching aids which God gave (which were good things, not leading to bondage) with the covenant itself (which was a bad thing, which led to bondage).

Quote:
Do you see any similarities between the ceremonial systems under the new and old covenants? Or, do you think they are fundamentally different? If so, please explain why and how.

The New Covenant doesn't have a ceremonial system. It has the ministry of Christ. The sacrificial system pointed to it, so, of course, was similar to it, but I haven't been speaking of these things, but rather of the Old Covenant.

Quote:
“We see then that the two covenants are not matters of time, but of condition.” Yes, there is an aspect of the OC that is representative of an attitude.

Not just "an aspect," but the covenant itself.

Quote:
You seem to have forgotten that I agree on this *one* point.

It doesn't appear to me you've understood *my* point, which is why, I think, you keep saying you agree with it.

Quote:
I also believe, however, time was another aspect of the OC. “As the Bible presents two laws, one changeless and eternal, the other provisional and temporary, so there are two covenants.” {PP 370.2} There were time dated elements of the OC, namely, the ceremonial laws and rituals that ended with the death of Jesus.

The covenant is not a matter of time, but of condition. The teaching aids God gave had a time element to them, in that they were pointing forward to Christ.

I think it would help to bear in mind that it was the Old Covenant itself which led to bondage, not "an aspect of the Old Covenant," but the Old Covenant. Also I think a careful study of what Waggoner wrote would be very helpful.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117518
08/11/09 09:03 PM
08/11/09 09:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: I believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God. I believe He did it in two ways – 1) Through His actions, and 2) Through His teachings.

Are you saying you disagree with this?

T: What I said was that according to the SOP, Jesus lived what He taught. Therefore Christ's life was sufficient to reveal God. If you intend to say Jesus Christ revealed God in "two different ways" so that it wouldn't be true that what Christ taught, He lived, then I disagree.

M:If you’re saying you believe Jesus lived out in actions while here in the flesh everything He lived out in actions in OT, then, yes, we disagree. In the OT Jesus employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction to happen in consequence of sinners filling up their cup of woe and wrath. He also commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death. Jesus never once acted out these things while here in the flesh. Yes, He taught them, but He never acted them out.

What I'm saying is:
1.All that we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ, in His humanity.
2.What Jesus Christ taught, He lived.
3.Therefore, Christ's life was a full and complete revelation of God.

Do you agree with this? If not, which point or points do you disagree with, and why.

Quote:
How about saying one more thing that actually states your position plainly. Your unwillingness to state your position plainly suggests you are embarrassed or ashamed of it.

Or tired, MM. I could just be tired of being asked the same questions over and over and over again, and given the same answers, and then asked again, and so forth.

Quote:
You are constantly reminding us of how important it is that we understand the truth about God, that we discern the lies of Satan about God. And yet on this very important point you are elusive and noncommittal. Why?

I've written a lot on this subject, and referred you to more things, which I think are very clear, yet you still don't understand what is being said. I don't know what else to do, MM. Surely just repeating what I've already said isn't going to help anything.

I've pointed out that this subject is difficult, more difficult than the following, upon which, it appears to me, it depends:

1.The atonement
2.The judgment of the wicked

So why don't we concentrate on these?

Quote:
Does it matter if we understand why Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to kill sinners? Does our salvation depend on us getting it right? Or, can we go on thinking with impunity Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to kill sinners because it’s what law and justice requires?

According to the SOP, the atonement is the great truth upon which all other truths cluster. I think getting *that* right is very important.

Quote:
M:Why do you think the plagues consisted of force and violence?

People were harmed and killed violently.

Quote:
And, who or what do you think was responsible for it playing out the way did?

I think the Egyptians were primarily responsible for it playing out the way they did, by causing God to remove His protection. Also Satan was responsible, as the author of sin.

Quote:
3 out of the 5 methods are based on your views. Here are the 5 methods Jesus employs to cause, command, or permit death and destruction to happen:

1. Jesus causes it
2. Jesus commands holy angels to do it
3. Jesus permits the forces of nature to do it
4. Jesus permits evil angels to do it
5. Jesus permits evil men to do it

Are you suggesting 3, 4, and 5 consist of force and violence? If so, why do you think Jesus would permit them to employ force and violence?

You're making a list here, and then making claims about my view in regards to your list, and then asking me questions about that, as if all you wrote were true. Wouldn't it be better for me to make my own list, and then you ask me about that?

Here's my list:

1.People cause God's protection to be withdrawn.

As to why God would permit force and violence, this is the result of sin. In order to do away with force and violence, God would have to do away with sin. God is hard at work to accomplish this very thing, and has been since sin originated.

Quote:
M:Jesus is in essence saying, “If you rely on Me to empower you to love and obey me, if you imitate My godly example, you will experience peace and happiness. However, if you despise Me and reject the salvation I wrought out for you at great cost to Myself, then I will satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice and resurrect you, judge you, punish you, and then allow you to die eternally in the lake of fire. So please, please do the right thing and let Me empower you to love and obey Me. I really don’t want you to suffer and die in the lake of fire.”

Which is essentially, "Do what I tell you, or I'll cause you to suffer, and then kill you," isn't it? If not, why not?

Regarding this:

Quote:
I really don’t want you to suffer and die in the lake of fire.

If Jesus is the one who causes this to happen, then you're essentially saying that Jesus says, "I don't want to cause you to suffer, and I don't want to throw fire upon you from above and below, but I have to because the law says so."

This has a couple of problems. First of all, the law is a transcript of His character, so He can't say on the one hand He's doing something He doesn't want to do, and on the other hand say the law says He has to do it (although He doesn't want to) because the law's being a transcript of His character means, by definition, that it specifies the things He wants to do.

Secondly, if He didn't want to do it, He could just not do it. The law is not greater than Christ.

Quote:
T: Of course sinners are not in control of the forces of nature, so they could hardly permit or cause this to happen. Why make this point?

M:You keep insisting Jesus doesn’t do anything, that sinners cause it to happen.

I agree that sinners cause God's protection to be withdrawn (GC 35), but where have I ever said that "Jesus doesn't do anything"?

Quote:
M: Another point to consider. The forces of nature are subject to God. They can do nothing without Him, not even cause death and destruction. If God let go, the laws of nature would simply stand still and do nothing. In order for them to cause death and destruction, God must employ them accordingly.

T: If God let go, nature wouldn't "simply stand still and do nothing." Nature needs the active hand of God to exist. Were God to "let go," nature would cease to exist. You say that for nature to cause death and destruction, God must employ it accordingly. Is this what you really meant to say? Let me just ask, do you think every time someone dies as the result of a natural disaster, this is because God employed nature to do such?

M:Nature would not cease to exist. Water and matter wouldn’t vanish if Jesus stopped managing the forces of nature. Jesus is actively involved in causing the forces of nature to act and behave the way they do. For example, rain rises and falls as Jesus sees fit. Warm and cold fronts trade places as Jesus sees fit. Heat and air combine and cause wind as Jesus sees fit. Etc, etc, etc. Nothing is left to chance or natural law.

This is pure Augustine. We don't believe this as SDA's.

Quote:
In the same way, Jesus manages the forces of nature to cause death and destruction.

Unfortunately, many SDA's do believe this. But not the previous paragraph. That's Calvinism, and we come from an Arminianist (Weslyan) tradition. You're mixing different theological systems in a hat that don't belong.

The weather does not act the way it does because Jesus Christ micromanages every molecule.

Quote:
True, there are times when He permits evil angels to manage the forces of nature to cause death and destruction.

They manipulate it, not manage it.

Quote:
But whether Jesus causes it to happen or permits evil angels to cause it to happen, the result is the same, namely, sinners suffer and die according to the limits established by God Himself.

If someone is doing something with a gun, like cleaning it, and it accidentally goes off and kills someone, or if the person purposely shoots and kills someone, the results are the same, but these are very different acts, right?

Regarding the conscience and the wicked, none of the quotes have to do with the judgment. Take a look at what she says about the judgment and conscience. That's where you'd need to find something that says that some sinners won't feel guilt.

Also, you didn't deal with the point being made, which was this:

Quote:
We should not try to lessen our guilt by excusing sin. We must accept God's estimate of sin, and that is heavy indeed. Calvary alone can reveal the terrible enormity of sin. If we had to bear our own guilt, it would crush us.(MB 116)

Do you think some are excluded here? That is, there are some who could bear their own guilt?

Quote:
M: What is so kind about exposing them to His unveiled brightness and glory?

T: This is your idea, not mine.

M:No, it’s God’s idea. Here’s what He thinks about it:

If you're convinced that your ideas are God's ideas, there's not much point in our having a discussion, is there? In this case, shouldn't I just listen while you explicate God's ideas to me?

Secondly, I've pointed out the following to you:

Quote:
The Bible is written by inspired men, but it is not God's mode of thought and expression. It is that of humanity. God, as a writer, is not represented. Men will often say such an expression is not like God. But God has not put Himself in words, in logic, in rhetoric, on trial in the Bible.(1SM 21)

Notice it says, "It is not God's mode of thought and expression. It is that of humanity."

I don't understand how you could read this, and then write, "This is God's thought on the matter" and quote Ellen White. This looks to be using her in a way that's diametrically opposed to her own view of inspiration.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117556
08/12/09 02:58 PM
08/12/09 02:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: Sure, it's possible that there are some underlying principles that would apply. That's a far cry from saying that the law applies to us, however. For example, we're not to divorce our wives for any reason we choose, as in the law of Moses.

1. What did you mean when you wrote God wasn't in favor of divorce, slavery, and polygamy when He gave Moses laws governing the practice of them? Did God view such practices as sinful?

T: I asked you the question (which I don't think you answered) - “God's not in favor of divorce, slavery or polygamy, is He?” Regarding what I meant, to be in favor of something means the thing is something you approve of, or desire.

God wants things to be like they were before A&E sinned. So, no, He is not in favor of divorce, slavery, or polygamy. But do you think He viewed them as sinful? If so, why do you think Jesus gave the COI laws and judgments governing their practice? Also, in doing so, do you think Jesus compromised and accommodated sinful practices?

Quote:
2. "Sure, it's possible that there are some underlying principles that would apply." Can you elaborate on this point? What are some of the underlining principles regarding divorce, slavery, and polygamy that apply today?

T: Here's a principle. The law regarding divorce was to protect women, so this law shows that God was concerned about protecting those in need. That principle still applies.

Do you have inspired insights that support your view? Where in the Bible or the SOP does it say the laws and judgments governing divorce were designed to protect women?

Quote:
3. "That's a far cry from saying that the law applies to us, however." Do you know of anyone that believes this way?

T: So you're now saying that the law of Moses does *not* apply to us?

I merely asked a question. I believe that those aspects of the law of Moses that were “only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified” apply to us in principle if not in particular. As such, they apply to us today. Do you agree?

Quote:
4. "For example, we're not to divorce our wives for any reason we choose, as in the law of Moses." Where in the law of Moses did God give the COI permission to get divorced for any reason?

T: From the SOP: “Among the Jews a man was permitted to put away his wife for the most trivial offenses, and the woman was then at liberty to marry again. This practice led to great wretchedness and sin. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus declared plainly that there could be no dissolution of the marriage tie, except for unfaithfulness to the marriage vow...When the Pharisees afterward questioned Him concerning the lawfulness of divorce, Jesus pointed His hearers back to the marriage institution as ordained at creation. "Because of the hardness of your hearts," He said, Moses "suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so." Matthew 19:8.(MB 63) Regarding where in Moses it says this, you can look it up as easily as I.

The fact is, Tom, the Jews made it up. Nowhere in the law of Moses did Jesus give men permission to divorce their wives for trivial offenses. The laws and judgments governing divorce are designed to protect the sanctity of marriage by allowing couples who cannot resolve and reconcile their fundamental differences to dissolve their union and start over with a clean slate.

Few things speak in favor of Christianity as highly as does happily married couples. On the other hand, few things bring more reproach upon the cause of Christ than do unhappily married couples. If discontented couples cannot resolve and reconcile their differences and restore happiness, Jesus prefers it if they get divorced than to stay shackled and dishonor His name and make it stink in the face of unbelievers.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117566
08/12/09 04:42 PM
08/12/09 04:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Are you saying the OC was bad because it consisted of the COI promising to obey and observe everything God required of them without fully understanding their need and dependence on Him to keep their promise? If so, then we’re in agreement on this *one* point.

T: 1. This isn't what you've been saying the OC consisted of. 2. It's not simply that the COI promised to obey everything God required of them without understanding something, but they thought God was requiring things of them rather than promising them the things they needed.

1) What else do you think I think the OC consists of? 2) Are you implying “the OC was bad because it consisted of the COI promising to obey and observe everything God required of them without fully understanding their need and dependence on Him to keep their promise” and because “they thought God was requiring things of them rather than promising them the things they needed”?

Also, are you implying Jesus did *not* command them to obey and observe the laws of God and Moses? Or, are you saying Jesus promised them “the things they needed”? If so, what did it consist of, that is, “the things they needed”?

Quote:
M: Also, do you think the OC consists of things that are an amplification of the NC? For example, do you think the OC ceremonial system is an amplification of the NC ceremonial system? If not, why not?

T: Regarding the Old Covenant: “Consider the situation: The people were in the bondage of sin; they had no power to break their chains; but the speaking of the law made no change in their condition; it introduced no new feature. If a man is in prison for crime, you can not release him by reading the statutes to him. It was the law that put him there, and the reading of it to him only makes his captivity more painful. . . I don't know how to explain it better than this.

So, does that mean you think 1) obeying the OC “judgments and laws” which “were only the Ten Commandments amplified” and 2) observing the OC version of the ceremonial system and sacrifices resulted in “nothing but bondage”? If so, then please answer the following questions:

Who commanded them to obey and observe the OC laws and ceremonial system? Or, who promised to empower them to obey and observe them?

Quote:

M: That thread isn’t discussing the issue I’m raising here. The SOP passages you omitted here agree with the point I am making, namely, one of the reasons the OC was bad is due to the fact it required the COI to obey and observe ceremonial laws and rituals “that was against us, which was contrary to us”. This point is very much applicable to this thread.

T: Yes it was. It was discussing how Col. 2:14 should be interpreted. Your point depends upon the interpretation of Col. 2:14. I disagree with the idea that God gave the COI things which were against them, or contrary to them, or led them into bondage.

Are you implying, then, that commanding them to obey and observe the OC ceremonial laws and rituals were designed to teach them how to find victory and freedom in Christ? If so, why, then, does it seem like you think the OC is sinful and objectionable?

Quote:
M: Having to obey and observe all those ceremonial laws and rituals was a kind of bondage. I’m not using the word “bondage” in the same sense you seem to think I am, that is, in some kind of sinful sense.

T: No it wasn't. Sin is bondage. The ceremonial law was given to point to Christ, who gives us freedom. . . I'd suggest reading through this pamphlet. It's covering much of the ground we're discussing.

Are you implying that properly obeying and observing the OC ceremonial laws and rituals led to victory and freedom in Christ?

Quote:
M: You seem to be implying that the OC version of the ceremonial system, the enhanced and greatly expanded version, was a “bad thing”. Do you think God designed it based on unbelief? If not, what did unbelief have to do with it?

T: We seem to be talking of different things. I have been referring to the Old Covenant, as Paul spoke of it, for example: 22For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. 23But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. 24Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. (Gal. 4:22-24)

You seem to be confusing the teaching aids which God gave (which were good things, not leading to bondage) with the covenant itself (which was a bad thing, which led to bondage).

Are you divorcing 1) the OC “judgments and laws” which “were only the Ten Commandments amplified” and 2) the OC version of the ceremonial system and sacrifices which Jesus commanded them to obey and observe from their promise to comply with His commandments and requirements?

If so, are you thereby implying 1) the OC “judgments and laws” which “were only the Ten Commandments amplified” and 2) the OC version of the ceremonial system and sacrifices which Jesus commanded them to obey and observe “were good things, not leading to bondage”?

Quote:
M: Do you see any similarities between the ceremonial systems under the new and old covenants? Or, do you think they are fundamentally different? If so, please explain why and how.

T: The New Covenant doesn't have a ceremonial system. It has the ministry of Christ. The sacrificial system pointed to it, so, of course, was similar to it, but I haven't been speaking of these things, but rather of the Old Covenant.

Originally, the NC included a system of sacrificial offerings. Ellen White wrote:

Christ, in counsel with His Father, instituted the system of sacrificial offerings; that death, instead of being immediately visited upon the transgressor, should be transferred to a victim which should prefigure the great and perfect offering of the Son of God. . . . Through the blood of this victim, man looked forward by faith to the blood of Christ which would atone for the sins of the world. {AG 131.5} The very system of sacrifices was devised by Christ, and given to Adam as typifying a Saviour to come, who would bear the sins of the world, and die for its redemption. {SD 225.3}

Quote:
M: “We see then that the two covenants are not matters of time, but of condition.” Yes, there is an aspect of the OC that is representative of an attitude. I also believe, however, time was another aspect of the OC. “As the Bible presents two laws, one changeless and eternal, the other provisional and temporary, so there are two covenants.” {PP 370.2} There were time dated elements of the OC, namely, the ceremonial laws and rituals that ended with the death of Jesus.

T: Not just "an aspect," but the covenant itself. The covenant is not a matter of time, but of condition. The teaching aids God gave had a time element to them, in that they were pointing forward to Christ. I think it would help to bear in mind that it was the Old Covenant itself which led to bondage, not "an aspect of the Old Covenant," but the Old Covenant. Also I think a careful study of what Waggoner wrote would be very helpful.

The OC consisted of terms and conditions, namely, 1) the law of God, 2) the “judgments and laws” which “were only the Ten Commandments amplified,” 3) the ceremonial laws and rituals, 4) Jesus commanding the COI to obey and observe them, and 5) the COI agreeing to obey and observe them in their own unaided strength.

The NC, on the other hand, consisted of the following terms and conditions, 1) the law of God, 2) a system of sacrificial offerings, 3) Jesus commanding people to obey and observe them, and 4) people promising to trust Jesus to empower them to obey and observe them. Of course, the commandment to observe the system of sacrificial offerings was valid until Jesus died on the cross. At that point, Jesus substituted it for the communion service.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117574
08/12/09 07:05 PM
08/12/09 07:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: I asked you the question (which I don't think you answered) - “God's not in favor of divorce, slavery or polygamy, is He?” Regarding what I meant, to be in favor of something means the thing is something you approve of, or desire.

MM:God wants things to be like they were before A&E sinned. So, no, He is not in favor of divorce, slavery, or polygamy. But do you think He viewed them as sinful?

If so, why do you think Jesus gave the COI laws and judgments governing their practice? Also, in doing so, do you think Jesus compromised and accommodated sinful practices?

Ok, you believe God gave the COI laws and judgments concerning practices He was not in favor of? Why do you think He did this?

Quote:
T: Here's a principle. The law regarding divorce was to protect women, so this law shows that God was concerned about protecting those in need. That principle still applies.

MM:Do you have inspired insights that support your view? Where in the Bible or the SOP does it say the laws and judgments governing divorce were designed to protect women?

You can study into this if you wish. It shouldn't be difficult to verify what I wrote.

Quote:

T: So you're now saying that the law of Moses does *not* apply to us?

M:I merely asked a question.

Anyone can see the implication of your question is that you don't believe this way. If you did, asking the question you asked would be, at the least, very misleading.

Quote:
M:I believe that those aspects of the law of Moses that were “only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified” apply to us in principle if not in particular. As such, they apply to us today. Do you agree?

I already answered this question. Don't you recall? It was just a couple of posts ago.

Quote:
T:"Because of the hardness of your hearts," He said, Moses "suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so." Matthew 19:8.(MB 63) Regarding where in Moses it says this, you can look it up as easily as I.

M:The fact is, Tom, the Jews made it up.

Jesus said, "He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts allowed you to put away your wives," so clearly, they didn't make it up (or else Jesus would not have said that "Moses" allowed it).

Quote:
Nowhere in the law of Moses did Jesus give men permission to divorce their wives for trivial offenses. The laws and judgments governing divorce are designed to protect the sanctity of marriage by allowing couples who cannot resolve and reconcile their fundamental differences to dissolve their union and start over with a clean slate.

You're speaking as in 20th century language (or 21st, if you prefer). I explained the factors involved, which is easily verified. They had no concept of "couples who cannot resolve and reconcile their fundamental differences."

Quote:
Few things speak in favor of Christianity as highly as does happily married couples. On the other hand, few things bring more reproach upon the cause of Christ than do unhappily married couples. If discontented couples cannot resolve and reconcile their differences and restore happiness, Jesus prefers it if they get divorced than to stay shackled and dishonor His name and make it stink in the face of unbelievers.

You're saying now? It's OK to get a divorce on grounds other than adultery?

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117583
08/12/09 09:56 PM
08/12/09 09:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1) What else do you think I think the OC consists of?

It consists of the attempt by the people to establish their own righteousness.

Quote:
2) Are you implying “the OC was bad because it consisted of the COI promising to obey and observe everything God required of them without fully understanding their need and dependence on Him to keep their promise” and because “they thought God was requiring things of them rather than promising them the things they needed”?

The New Covenant consists of accepting the righteousness of Christ and having the law written in the heart. The Old Covenant is founded on unbelief, as opposed to accepting this promise of God, and consists of attempting to establish one's own righteousness. This attempt can only lead to bondage, and, being founded on unbelief, is bad.

Quote:
Also, are you implying Jesus did *not* command them to obey and observe the laws of God and Moses?

I don't understand why you're asking this.

Quote:
Or, are you saying Jesus promised them “the things they needed”? If so, what did it consist of, that is, “the things they needed”?

They needed righteousness. The only place to receive righteousness is from Christ. God gave them the law, in written form, and with precise instructions, so they could learn that they did not have the righteousness required, nor could they obtain it of themselves. He did this so they would be led to Christ, in whom they could find righteousness.

Quote:
T: Regarding the Old Covenant: “Consider the situation: The people were in the bondage of sin; they had no power to break their chains; but the speaking of the law made no change in their condition; it introduced no new feature. If a man is in prison for crime, you can not release him by reading the statutes to him. It was the law that put him there, and the reading of it to him only makes his captivity more painful. . ." (Waggoner) T:I don't know how to explain it better than this.

[quote]So, does that mean you think 1) obeying the OC “judgments and laws” which “were only the Ten Commandments amplified” and 2) observing the OC version of the ceremonial system and sacrifices resulted in “nothing but bondage”?

MM, I've been explaining to you that keeping the ceremonial law was not bondage, and providing you links to read more about this. When you ask questions like this, it gives the impression you're not paying attention to what I'm saying.

Quote:
M:If so ...

Since the "if" did not apply, I skipped this.

Quote:
T: Not just "an aspect," but the covenant itself. The covenant is not a matter of time, but of condition. The teaching aids God gave had a time element to them, in that they were pointing forward to Christ. I think it would help to bear in mind that it was the Old Covenant itself which led to bondage, not "an aspect of the Old Covenant," but the Old Covenant. Also I think a careful study of what Waggoner wrote would be very helpful.

M:The OC consisted of terms and conditions, namely, 1) the law of God, 2) the “judgments and laws” which “were only the Ten Commandments amplified,” 3) the ceremonial laws and rituals, 4) Jesus commanding the COI to obey and observe them, and 5) the COI agreeing to obey and observe them in their own unaided strength.

This can't be, MM. To consider just one thing, consider item 1). The law of God doesn't lead to bondage. It wasn't faulty. It didn't "vanish away". It wasn't replaced by the NC.

Quote:
The NC, on the other hand, consisted of the following terms and conditions, 1) the law of God, 2) a system of sacrificial offerings, 3) Jesus commanding people to obey and observe them, and 4) people promising to trust Jesus to empower them to obey and observe them. Of course, the commandment to observe the system of sacrificial offerings was valid until Jesus died on the cross. At that point, Jesus substituted it for the communion service.

The New Covenant consists of God's promise to make us righteous when we believe in Jesus Christ. Your item 4) is the Old Covenant, not the New! The New Covenant principle is that we believe God's promises to us, not that we make promises to Him.

Quote:
The Promised Inheritance.

That the thing promised, and the sum of all the promises, is an inheritance, is clearly seen from Gal.3:15-18. The sixteenth verse has just been noted, and the seventeenth verse tells us that the law, coming in four hundred and thirty years after the promise was made and confirmed, can not make it of none effect; "for if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise." Verse 18. What this promised inheritance is may be seen by comparing the verse just quoted with Rom.4:13: "For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith." And so, although the heavens and the earth which are now are "reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men," when "the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat," we, "according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness." 2Pet.3:7,12,13. This is the heavenly country for which Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob looked.

An Inheritance without Curse.

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse; . . . that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith." This "promise of the Spirit" we have seen to be the possession of the whole earth made new--redeemed from the curse; for "the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the liberty of the glory of the children of God." The earth, fresh and new from the hand of God, perfect in every respect, was given to man for a possession. Gen.1:27,28,31. Man sinned, and brought the curse upon himself. Christ has taken the whole curse, both of man and of all creation, upon Himself. He redeems the earth from the curse, that it may be the everlasting possession that God originally designed it to be, and He also redeems man from the curse, that he may be fitted for the possession of such an inheritance. This is the sum of the Gospel. "The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Rom.6:23. This gift of eternal life is included in the promise of the inheritance, for God promised the land to Abraham and to his seed for "an everlasting possession." Gen.17:7,8. It is an inheritance of righteousness, because the promise that Abraham should be heir of the world was through the righteousness of faith. Righteousness, eternal life, and a place in which to live eternally,--these are all in the promise, and they are all that could possibly be desired or given. To redeem man, but to give him no place in which to live, would be an incomplete work; the two things are parts of one whole, for the power by which we are redeemed is the power of creation,--the power by which the heavens and the earth are made new. When all is accomplished, "there shall be no more curse." Rev.22:3.

The Covenants of Promise.

That the covenant and promise of God are one and the same thing, is clearly seen from Gal.3:17, where it appears that to disannul the covenant would be to make void the promise. In Genesis 17 we read that God made a covenant with Abraham to give him the land of Canaan--and with it the whole world--for an everlasting possession; but Gal.3:18 says that God gave it to him by promise. God's covenants with men can be nothing else than promises to them: "Who hath first given to Him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of Him, and through Him, and to Him, are all things." Rom.11:35,36. It is so rare for men to do anything without expecting an equivalent, that theologians have taken it for granted that it is the same with God. So they begin their dissertations on God's covenant with the statement that a covenant is "a mutual agreement between two or more persons, to do or refrain from doing certain things." But God does not make bargains with men, because He knows that they could not fulfil their part. After the flood God made a covenant with every beast of the earth, and with every fowl; but the beasts and the birds did not promise anything in return. Gen.9:9-16. They simply received the favor at the hand of God. That is all we can do. God promises us everything that we need, and more than we can ask or think, as a gift. We give Him ourselves, that is, nothing, and He gives us Himself, that is, everything. That which makes all the trouble is that even when men are willing to recognize the Lord at all, they want to make bargains with Him. They want it to be a "mutual" affair--a transaction in which they will be considered as on a par with God. But whoever deals with God must deal with Him on His own terms, that is, on a basis of fact--that we have nothing and are nothing, and He has everything and is everything, and gives everything. (The Glad Tidings)

This is great stuff. I do hope you'll take the time to read it carefully.

As a summary, God promised Abraham an inheritance, a promise to be received by faith. That inheritance encompasses all needful things, including the earth made new, righteousness, and Christ Himself. We don't receive the inheritance by works, or by making promises to God, but by faith, which means believing His promises to us.

This doesn't imply inactivity on our part, because righteousness is, of its very nature, active, full of works. But the works come about as a result of our believing God's promises to us.

God is faithful in keeping His promises. All that we need, He has promised to us. Believing God and His promises is the essence of the New Covenant.

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!