HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 71 1 2 3 4 5 70 71
Re: The Covenants #11752
11/30/04 04:36 AM
11/30/04 04:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, excellent quote. Thanx for sharing it. Our response to God and the covenant that applies to us today (the new covenant) should be the same as was Israel's response - "All that the Lord hath said we will do, and be obedient."

AG 142
The covenant that God made with His people at Sinai is to be our refuge and defense.... This covenant is of just as much force today as it was when the Lord made it with ancient Israel.... {AG 142.2}

This is the pledge that God's people are to make in these last days. Their acceptance with God depends on a faithful fulfillment of the terms of their agreement with Him. God includes in His covenant all who will obey Him. {AG 142.3}

Of course, certain criteria and conditions are different nowadays, that is, we are no longer required to kill animals for the forgiveness of our sins, but many, if not most, of the OT laws are still obligatory (either in principle or in particular). And the promises, the rewards, are very nearly identical - A Promised Land, flowing with milk and honey, where sin and sickness and death are no more.

Re: The Covenants #11753
11/29/04 11:55 PM
11/29/04 11:55 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Tom, how does your quote differ from the one I posted above, where Sister White wrote:

quote:
Their acceptance with God depends on a faithful fulfillment of the terms of their agreement with Him.

I'm not understanding your question. Waggoner's views was the same as Ellen White's. I think you may be misunderstanding Ellen White's view. There's an easy way to find out. Read what Waggoner wrote, and if you see that it is in harmony with what Ellen White wrote, you've got the right understanding. If you think she and Waggoner are saying two different things, then you're not seeing her view correctly.

This is what I think. I can easily defend my reasoning, if desired, but I'll wait to see if that's necessary.

Re: The Covenants #11754
11/29/04 11:58 PM
11/29/04 11:58 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
"It should be remembered that the promises and threatenings of God are alike conditional."

The condition is faith.

"There is not a point that needs to be dwelt upon more earnestly, repeated more frequently, or established more firmly in the minds of all than the impossibility of fallen man meriting anything by his own best good works. Salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ alone." (FW 19)

Re: The Covenants #11755
11/30/04 12:11 AM
11/30/04 12:11 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
So, what becomes clear? That there are two covenants: the covenant of grace and the old covenant. At Sinai God was not instituting a new or different plan of salvation, because this plan was already contained in the abrahamic covenant. But He was indeed instituting a different covenant - a provisory covenant (a teaching tool) - to lead the COI back to the abrahamic covenant, which, by the way, had not been abolished. So what I see is that both covenants - the eternal one and the provisory one - were running side by side.
God did not initiate the covenant, the people did.

God made a perfect covenant with Abraham, which had everything the people needed. When God said "if you keep My covenant," he was referring to the only covenant then formally in existance, which was the perfect covenant He made with Abraham. There was no need for God to refer to any other. This is in harmony with what EGW says when she says the Old would not have been necessary had they believed the Covenant God made with Abraham.

Because of unbelief, the people sought to establish their own righteousness (also in the PP chapter). This was not God's intention. It was God's intention that they would respond to His promises in faith, just as Abraham did, and how Jeremiah did.

Here's Jeremiah 11:2-5

quote:
Hear ye the words of this covenant, and speak unto the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem;
3 And say thou unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel; Cursed be the man that obeyeth not the words of this covenant,
4 Which I commanded your fathers in the day that I brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, from the iron furnace, saying, Obey my voice, and do them, according to all which I command you: so shall ye be my people, and I will be your God:
5 That I may perform the oath which I have sworn unto your fathers, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey, as it is this day. Then answered I, and said, So be it, O LORD.

Notice that God is promising the same thing to them as to the COI. Notice that Jeremiah's response is appropriate given that God was making a promise to him. "So be it, Lord" ("Amen"). This was the same response as Abraham's. It was a good response, a response which leads to liberty and victory over sin.

The COI's response was a bad response. Their response originated a Covenant which leads to bondage. Gal. 4:24. This verse makes it clear that the Old Covenant was not God's idea. It is against God's character to originate something which would lead us into bondage.

Please read what Waggoner wrote in the links I provided. They present the view which the Spirit of Prophesy describes as "truth" and "clear and convincing" and that U. Smith, D. Jones, and Brother Porter and others were "wasting their investigative powers for naught to produce a position on the covenants to vary from the position that Brother Waggoner has presented."

Does it not make sense that we also are wasting our investigative powers for naught if we try to do the same thing she warned them not to do?

Re: The Covenants #11756
11/30/04 02:23 AM
11/30/04 02:23 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you are way off the mark here, brother. Please reconsider what Sister White said:

AG 142
The covenant that God made with His people at Sinai is to be our refuge and defense.... This covenant is of just as much force today as it was when the Lord made it with ancient Israel.... {AG 142.2}

This is the pledge that God's people are to make in these last days. Their acceptance with God depends on a faithful fulfillment of the terms of their agreement with Him. God includes in His covenant all who will obey Him. {AG 142.3}

Re: The Covenants #11757
11/30/04 05:55 AM
11/30/04 05:55 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mike, I don't think I'm off the mark. I think when EGW said that Waggoner's teachings on the covenants were "truth" and "clear and convincing" that she was right! They are "truth" and "clear and convincing."

When she wrote that those of her time were wasting their "investigative powers" in trying to come up with a theory different than his, she was right again! They were! And so are we if we follow in their footsteps.

What I presented was what Waggoner presented, which you can verify by reading the links I presented. I believe that it is "truth," just as Sister White says.

Re: The Covenants #11758
11/30/04 12:33 PM
11/30/04 12:33 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,
If you say that the COI misinterpreted the old covenant, I will readily agree with you. But how can you say that the old covenant was not instituted by God? First, it was ratified with blood. Second, it was God who established its whole system. “Then verily, the first covenant also had ordinances of divine service and a worldly sanctuary” (Heb. 9:1). It is clear that the old covenant was to be a transitory covenant – just a teaching tool; its whole system was transitory, and nothing that was to be abolished could be part of the everlasting covenant. You can see that the circumcision was a distinct covenant, made with Abraham more than 20 years after the institution of the abrahamic covenant (Gen. 15; Gen. 17).

Re: The Covenants #11759
11/30/04 12:41 PM
11/30/04 12:41 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike,
I see two distinct covenants at Sinai: that of Ex. 19:1-8 and that of Ex. 24:1-11. When the COI accepted the first covenant, to be God’s peculiar people, then He made with them a second covenant, with specific statutes (please read Jer. 7:22, 23; 11:1-5). That first covenant, which involved obeying God and being His peculiar people, would indeed be the abrahamic covenant, as Tom points out (see Jer. 31:31-33, “and I will be their God, and they shall be my people”).

Ellen White says the following about the covenant of Ex. 19 (in a text you have already quoted in part): “The covenant that God made with his people at Sinai is to be our refuge and defense. The Lord said to Moses:-- ‘Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. Now, therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people; for all the earth is mine, and ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation.’ And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words. And all the people answered together, and said, All that the Lord hath spoken we will do. This covenant is of just as much force today as it was when the Lord made it with ancient Israel” (SW, March 1, 1904). (Notice that she seems to approve of their answer in Ex. 19:8.)

But she says in PP 371-2: “God brought them to Sinai; he manifested his glory; he gave them his law, with the promise of great blessings on condition of obedience: ‘If ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then . . . ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation.’ Ex. 19:5, 6. The people did not realize the sinfulness of their own hearts, and that without Christ it was impossible for them to keep God's law; and they readily entered into covenant with God. Feeling that they were able to establish their own righteousness, they declared, ‘All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient.’ Ex. 24:7.” (Notice that she disapproves of their answer in Ex. 24:7.)

While the covenant of Ex. 19 included the oral proclamation of the law, the covenant of Ex. 24 included the statutes (Ex. 24:3ff) and the tablets of stone (Ex. 24:12ff) which Moses received after he went up on the mount.

Re: The Covenants #11760
11/30/04 08:55 PM
11/30/04 08:55 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You're asking very good questions Rosangela. I hope you had a chance to read what Waggoner wrote, as it would be a shame for us not to take advantage of light God has given to us for the very purpose of understanding the Covenants.

My understanding is that God originally presented His Covenant, that is, the one He made with Abraham, to the people. The people misunderstood what God was doing, and rashly took it upon themselves to try to establish their own righteousness rather than accept by faith the righteousness of Christ, which is what God's purpose was.

When this happened, God decided to meet them where they were, in order that they might come to the point where they would accept the "New Covenant," which is God's perfect Covenant and His plan for them all along. So God took that which the people had initiated and worked with it. That's where the statutes and sanctuary services and so forth came in. And of course, everything God did related to the Old Covenant was perfect. However, the Old Covenant would never have come about had the people accepted the Covenant God presented to them, which was the Covenant God made to Abraham.

"And if the descendants of Abraham had kept the covenant, of which circumcision was a sign, they would never have been seduced into idolatry, nor would it have been necessary for them to suffer a life of bondage in Egypt; they would have kept God's law in mind, and there would have been no necessity for it to be proclaimed from Sinai or engraved upon the tables of stone." PP 364.

Now how do we know that God did not initiate the Old Covenant?
1. He had no need to, because His Covenant was perfect.
2. The Old Covenant leads to bondage. Gal. 4:24. God cannot do anything that leads to bondage. That's contrary to His character.
3. Jeremiah's response ("Amen") to the same words God said to the COI indicates that it was the response of the people that was faulty.

I should comment a bit more on the last point. The words that they said, "All that the Lord has said, we will do" were good words. There's nothing wrong with the words themselves. The problem is with what they were thinking when they said what they said. If they had been thinking that God was making promises to them and by faith in His promises they could acocmplish all that God had promised, that would have been fine. Instead, they sought to establish their own righteousness. "O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!" (Deut 5:29)

I hope this helps, and look forward to any futher questions you may have.

Re: The Covenants #11761
11/30/04 11:53 PM
11/30/04 11:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, White and Waggoner agree. They both agree that the covenant that God made with His people at Sinai is to be our refuge and defense, that this covenant is of just as much force today as it was when the Lord made it with ancient Israel, that this is the pledge that God's people are to make in these last days. Their acceptance with God depends on a faithful fulfillment of the terms of their agreement with Him.

AG 142

Page 3 of 71 1 2 3 4 5 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!