HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,195
Posts195,570
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Coffee, Caffeine [Re: crater] #117799
08/19/09 10:27 PM
08/19/09 10:27 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
You are certainly right, Dynamite, I have not been able to purchase Postum for some time now. Indeed, after drinking it since childhood. Herb teas are what I use now.

A few words regarding chocolate: The booklet, Poison with a Capital C, A Case Against Coffee and Other Brown Drinks, by Agatha Thrash, MD., condemns chocolate in several ways. As chocolate grows naturally it is highly bitter and bad tasting. Lots of added sugar and flavorings are necessary to make it palatable.

Several harmful alkaloids are also present. These include theobromine, and theophylline, etc. which can irritate the stomach, cause flushing of the skin and localized itching. The kidneys and liver are involved in dotoxifying and excreting these drugs. And if these organs are underactive, these methylxanthines can accumulate to high blood levels.

Dr. Thrash goes on to explain how cacao beans are fermented in the manufacture of chocolate. It has been shown that large quantities of aflatoxin (a cancer producing agent from molds) can be found in cacao beans. Aflatoxin contamination of cocao has been reported by many chemists. ...A high content of fat, as well as various additives round out the finished product which the doctor does not recommend. Instead she notes that carob is an good substitute. It's highly palatable, has a mild flavor and natural sweetness.

Suzanne

Re: Coffee, Caffeine [Re: Suzanne] #117858
08/21/09 07:03 AM
08/21/09 07:03 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Raw cacao is being marketed as one of the "hot" "Super Foods", being extraordinarily nutritious!
See for the full article.

Quote:
Cacao tops the list in its concentration of the following three minerals (minerals that are deficient in almost everyone): magnesium, chromium, iron

Cacao is the #1 antioxidant content food in the world. That's right. It contains more antioxidants than green tea, acai, red wine, and goji berries COMBINED.

Raw cacao is extraordinarily high in vitamin C. It contains more vitamin C than any other common nut or seed.

Cacao contains phenethylamines and anandamide which stimulate focus, concentration, love, and pleasure.

Cacao is an excellent source of tryptophan and serotonin.

Cacao is a phenomenal source of soluble fiber.

Contrary to popular opinion, cacao is a poor source of caffeine. A typical sample of cacao nibs or cacao beans will yield anywhere from zero caffeine to 1,000 parts per million of caffeine (less than 1/20th of the caffeine present in coffee).

In February 2008, Dr. Gabriel Cousens discovered in clinical tests on healthy people that Cacao does not elevate blood sugar in the same way as a caffeine containing food or beverage. In fact, Dr. Cousens’ found that cacao has less of an effect on blood sugar than nearly any other food.

Raw cacao nuts as beans, nibs, powder, candies, and other delights that use what are considered more "healthful sweeteners" are available at health food stores and "the net".

What do you think, should we buy into it?

Re: Coffee, Caffeine [Re: crater] #117860
08/21/09 08:12 AM
08/21/09 08:12 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I'll buy some of that...particularly the minerals, antioxidants, and caffeine parts. I question the vitamin C, fiber, and sugar parts.

I've long been aware that chocolate is a high-magnesium food. Magnesium is a muscle-relaxant, not a stimulant. It is quite possible that some of the craving for chocolate originates with the body's need for magnesium and possibly the trace mineral chromium. However, the answer to a craving for chocolate in both cases is to supplement the diet with some magnesium and chromium. When the body has an adequate balance of these minerals, the craving for chocolate will likely vanish. Brewer's yeast is high in chromium. That's a good place to start.

Pure cacao may be a wholesome food. However, chocolate is rarely ever pure cacao. It's mostly corn syrup, sugar, processed milk fats, etc., all of which turn an otherwise healthful food into the body's poison.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Coffee, Caffeine [Re: Green Cochoa] #117862
08/21/09 08:28 AM
08/21/09 08:28 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Hmm, so eating 90% cacao dark chocolate is more healthful than drinking the chocolate bewerages? Also, going for brewers yeast for chromium, would that include drinking beer?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Coffee, Caffeine [Re: vastergotland] #117864
08/21/09 09:45 AM
08/21/09 09:45 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Hmm, so eating 90% cacao dark chocolate is more healthful than drinking the chocolate bewerages? Also, going for brewers yeast for chromium, would that include drinking beer?

The interesting thing about the "beer" part there, Vaster, is that the body somehow develops a craving for beer, perhaps in part seeking the B-vitamins and the chromium, etc. that the body intuitively expects there...however, those nutrients were skimmed off in the yeast, leaving the beer itself without them. Thus, the craving perpetuates itself, as those who crave the beer continue to imbibe that which is devoid of the true source of their craving.

Theoretically, vitamin and mineral supplementation should help to ease the addiction of the alcoholic as well, but big pharma doesn't make money selling vitamins, nor for researching them. So most doctors have no education in the therapeutic use of vitamins and minerals.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Coffee, Caffeine [Re: Green Cochoa] #117926
08/22/09 07:40 AM
08/22/09 07:40 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Of course the raw cacao in the form of nibs and whole beans is what the article I am referring to is selling, so you get the fiber and enzymes as well.

You can eat it as is or grind and mix with date, ad to a smoothie. . .

But I find chocolate in any form tends to be addicting. smile

BTW GC do you eat another touted superfood "durians"? I have never tired them but have heard if you get past the smell, that they are delicious. They have frozen ones at the asian market, but I haven't brought myself to try any yet.

Re: Coffee, Caffeine [Re: crater] #117928
08/22/09 08:47 AM
08/22/09 08:47 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Crater,

I love durian. However, the frozen ones are only for those addicted to durian who have no other way of getting it. Frozen durian versus fresh durian is probably about like the difference between fresh juicy figs and frozen figs. A lot of the flavor and some of the texture is lost in the freezing. If you've never had durian, and would prefer to enjoy it, it's best to get a native in a country where it's grown to help you select a good fresh one. Once you've learned to like it, you'll always like it. If, however, you try a poor-quality durian the first time, you will find it hard to ever overcome your prejudice enough to enjoy it later.

For me, I like the smell of durian. People like to say all kinds of things in order to impress others, and the smell of durian is one of those things commonly exaggerated, about as commonly as the size of the fisherman's catch. smile

Having said that, the best quality durian has the least odor. There are many kinds of durian, just as there are many kinds of apples. Malaysia claims to be the durian capital of the world in terms of durian quality and variety. Supposedly, they do not export it. Thailand has some of the very best, in my opinion. In Malaysia they gave me some "bitter durian" which they claimed was the king of durian. It did have an almost bittersweet taste to it which was rather unique. Nor was its flesh the typical creamy yellow color, but more of a blackish color. I still prefer Thailand's "king of durian" which is also frequently exported. It is called "Hmon Tong" in Thai, which means "Golden Pillow." It's the best in terms of mild, sweet flavor and low odor. It always sells more dearly than the more odorous kinds like the "Monkey Durian," or the "Egg Durian."

One of the things that I've always enjoyed considering since having learned about durian and jackfruit, is the sheer size of the fruits! I remember learning in Sabbath School as a child that God made the watermelons and the pumpkins to grow on the ground and the peaches and apples up in trees, because...can you imagine what might happen if a watermelon hit you on the head?! Hahaha. My Sabbath School teachers were oblivious to the existence of durian and jackfruit! I guess the tropical areas of the world seem to have the most dangerous fruits. smile (Consider also the coconut.)

I find durian to be addicting. I think that this is based on its flavor....but who knows? maybe someone will do some research and tell me I must stop eating it now because it has some caffeine. wink

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Coffee, Caffeine [Re: Green Cochoa] #117967
08/22/09 09:10 PM
08/22/09 09:10 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I have had the dubious honor of tasting the durian in Thailand. I do not know which kind it was. In my opinion, it smells like slightly fermented strawberries, and tastes a little like a slimy combination of cabbage and cellery. Would you be able to identify the kind from my description Greenie?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Coffee, Caffeine [Re: vastergotland] #117981
08/22/09 11:35 PM
08/22/09 11:35 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: västergötland
I have had the dubious honor of tasting the durian in Thailand. I do not know which kind it was. In my opinion, it smells like slightly fermented strawberries, and tastes a little like a slimy combination of cabbage and cellery. Would you be able to identify the kind from my description Greenie?

ROFL

I'm not sure, but I think you may have gotten a durian that was picked too green and/or had not fully ripened. A ripe durian should not taste as bland as celery and cabbage...not at all. Was the durian also nearly as crispy as cabbage and celery? Ripe durian will have flesh as soft as persimmon.

Thai people like to make "durian chips" out of the greener ones. They fry it and dry it, and it tastes very good, almost like a sweetened form of potato chip.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Coffee, Caffeine [Re: Green Cochoa] #117983
08/23/09 12:11 AM
08/23/09 12:11 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Thanks for the first hand info on durian GC. Sounds like they get pretty big.

A person sure needs to watch where they are walking, which reminds me this just came out yesterday.
Quote:
August 21, 2009 By The Associated Press

BAKER CITY, Ore. (AP) — A U.S. Forest Service employee is dead after being struck by a falling tree as he helped clean up a marijuana growing operation in eastern Oregon.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by TheophilusOne. 04/19/24 11:14 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!